Top 32 NFL Prospectes For 2015

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]Top 32 NFL prospects for 2015[/h][h=3]Mariota is still No. 1, while Gurley, Gregory continue to rise up the board[/h]
By [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Todd McShay[/FONT] | ESPN Insider
in.gif

We've now completed the first month of the college football season, and the prospect at the top of our draft board is the same as when it began: Oregon QB Marcus Mariota. He certainly hasn't been perfect, but the mental toughness he's showed so far this season has been impressive, and he continues to display the physical tools that make him such a high-upside prospect.
Which players are making moves either up or down our board based on their play so far? Let's take a look -- here is our latest ranking of the Top 32 prospects for the 2015 NFL draft.
(Notes: Underclassmen are noted with an asterisk, and the scouting write-ups will stay the same for each ranking update except in cases in which new material is needed.)

i

1. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon Ducks (Grade: 95)*
6-foot-4, 224 pounds

Mariota is a dynamic athlete who puts stress on a defense with his mobility both as a runner and a thrower. He has above-average elusiveness and rare straight-line speed, reminiscent ofColin Kaepernick with his long stride. Mariota has a quick, compact, over-the-shoulder release with well-above-average arm strength, so he can make all the NFL throws. While he needs to become more consistently accurate, and I want to see him show continued progress with his footwork and balance within the pocket, I thought he played really well in the Ducks' big win over Michigan State; he showed good mental toughness in bouncing back from early mistakes. He has outstanding intangibles and a very good mental makeup. He and the Ducks host Arizona on Thursday (10:30 p.m. ET, ESPN).
<offer></offer>
i

2. Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M Aggies (Grade: 95)
6-5, 304 pounds

The Aggies have seen their starting left tackles selected within the top six picks of the NFL draft each of the past two years, and Ogbuehi is the next prospect in line at the position. He is moving over from right tackle, where he played last season, and has fared well so far. He is excellent in pass protection with outstanding quickness and natural athleticism, and shows very good mobility as a zone blocker in the running game. He needs to improve his lower-body strength and leverage after initial contact, but overall he is very good as a run-blocker as well. He rates very well in terms of toughness and character, and he's helped fuel the Aggies' 5-0 start.
i

3. Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska Cornhuskers (Grade: 93)*
6-6, 245 pounds

Gregory moves up a few spots in this week's rankings. He is very lean, and whether he's able to add weight could be a factor going forward, as he's just average against the run because he can get pushed too far outside and gives ground at times. But he has good range to make plays in pursuit, and he has the above-average lateral quickness and closing speed, combined with his effective rip and swim moves, length and finishing ability, to get to the quarterback as a pass-rusher. His best fit at the next level is as a 3-4 outside linebacker, and he lines up as a LB at times for Nebraska. He and the Huskers face a big test from Michigan State on Saturday (8 p.m. ET, ABC).
i

4. Leonard Williams, DE, USC Trojans (Grade: 94)*
6-5, 290 pounds

Williams possesses excellent strength and speed for his size, and has the versatility to create mismatches all along the D-line. His best projection is as a 5-technique defensive end, but he has the quickness and point-of-attack skills to perform inside as a 3-technique (especially in pass-rushing situations), and enough athleticism to occasionally line up as a traditional left defensive end. As a pass-rusher, he isn't going to gain the edge with pure speed, but he has good initial quickness and a wide array of moves. He possesses an above-average motor and plays with an edge.
i

5. Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama Crimson Tide (Grade: 93)*
6-1, 205 pounds

Cooper moves up our board this week on the strength of his outstanding start to the 2014 season (43 catches for 655 yards and five TDs). He has just average size for the receiver position, and good but not elite top-end speed, but his separation and ball skills more than make up for it. There are few college wide receivers with Cooper's separation skills, and he makes tough catches look easy, demonstrating outstanding concentration in traffic, although he does suffer from too many focus drops. He is a star for the Crimson Tide's offense, which faces a big test Saturday against Ole Miss.
i

6. Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia Bulldogs (Grade: 92)*
6-3, 226 pounds

Floyd is a terror coming off the edge for opposing offenses, and might be the best pass-rusher in college football this season. As a prospect, he compares favorably to a young Barkevious Mingo as a productive pass-rusher with an extremely high ceiling. He explodes out of the blocks with elite get-off speed and acceleration, and he shows really good natural bend and body control. He has flashed the potential to effectively convert speed to power as a pass-rusher despite needing to improve his strength. There's no doubt he has the speed and athleticism to handle coverage assignments as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but he does struggle to anchor versus offensive tackles, as he's particularly lean in his lower body.
i

7. Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State Seminoles (Grade: 94)*
6-4, 235 pounds

For my full take from two weeks ago on what Winston's latest off-field incident could mean for his draft stock, click here. The short version: It's mostly futile to speculate on whether or how far he could drop down teams' draft boards because of it, as a lot can happen between now and then and we don't know which teams will be picking at the top of the order, if they'll need QBs, and so on. But while Winston has what teams are looking for as a talent (he has good pocket mobility and very good arm strength), an on-field leader and an on-field decision-maker, he could cost himself a lot of money if NFL teams don't feel like they can trust him off the field.
i

8. Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia Bulldogs (Grade: 90)*
6-0, 230 pounds

Gurley continues to move up our board after lighting it up the first four games of the season, averaging 8.8 yards per carry and rushing for six touchdowns (plus a kick-return TD). This guy is a freight train -- a hard, downhill runner who is a load to bring down -- but what separates him from a lot of other big, punishing runners is his breakaway speed when he catches a crease. He runs a little bit high and takes some big shots to his frame, and there are some long-term durability questions with him as a result, but on talent and production alone he's a top-15 prospect. He compares favorably to Marshawn Lynch in terms of his power.
i

9. Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa Hawkeyes (Grade: 92)
6-5, 320 pounds

Scherff projects to me as the Zack Martin of this draft class. His lack of ideal length puts into question whether he can become an NFL offensive tackle, but I think he still has a shot to become one, and at worst he has what it takes to be an excellent guard at the next level. He displayed unique toughness earlier this season ahead of the Iowa State game, coming off a Monday medical procedure to practice Tuesday and play every snap in that Saturday's game. He's good in pass protection, is an elite run-blocker and is a powerful, nasty finisher.
i

10. Shane Ray, DE, Missouri Tigers (Grade: 90)*
6-2, 240 pounds

Ray has a bit of a tweener frame right now, with below-average height and a lean build, but he has elite speed for the position, and he explodes off the line with his first step, quick feet and hands, and effective spin move. He has initial pop but needs to improve his ability to convert speed to power. He's an active and disruptive force against the run, making a lot of plays in pursuit, but his lean frame and lack of strength limit his effectiveness against the run overall. Ray has a relentless motor, and he currently leads the nation in sacks after recording two in the Tigers' comeback win over South Carolina last week.
i

11. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon Ducks (Grade: 91)
5-9, 185 pounds

Ekpre-Olomu is a twitched-up athlete with clean movement skills who makes quick transitions out of breaks and shows an explosive closing burst in coverage. He can hold up in man coverage on an island and has good ball skills and playmaking instincts. He is physical and aggressive in run support as well. Ekpre-Olomu is a key component to the Ducks' defense, and his diving interception off of a deflection was one of the key plays in their Week 2 win over Michigan State.
i

12. Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford Cardinal (Grade: 91)*
6-7, 312 pounds

Peat has the ideal physical tools you look for in a starting NFL left tackle. He displays good length, a strong anchor, a powerful upper body and excellent overall agility in pass protection. As a run-blocker, he has the power base to drive defenders off the ball. His football instincts appear to be good on tape, and he flashes a nasty side on occasion. The Cardinal have a big game against Notre Dame this weekend.
i

13. La'el Collins, OT, LSU Tigers (Grade: 90)
6-4, 324 pounds

Collins projects as either a right tackle or guard in the pros, given his massive frame. As a run-blocker, he fires off the ball with very good straight-line burst, and has the lower-body strength and strong hands to drive defenders off the line. He also shows good awareness and toughness. Collins is average in pass protection, showing a strong anchor, but he can get into trouble, occasionally lunging and falling off some blocks.
i

14. Dante Fowler Jr., DE, Florida Gators (Grade: 92)*
6-2, 271 pounds

Fowler is a big and strong edge-setter in the run game who has really good striking ability as a tackler, and the ability to jar the ball loose with his long arms. He has growth potential as a pass-rusher but lacks elite physical traits and isn't a polished finisher at this point in his development. He does have above-average first-step quickness for his size, and in particular has flashed some effectiveness as an inside rusher at nose tackle or a 3-technique in nickel and dime packages. This guy plays with an edge.
i

15. Landon Collins, S, Alabama Crimson Tide (Grade: 86)*
6-0, 212 pounds

Collins is a really impressive athlete for a safety with his compact build, quick feet and good body control in coverage, and he is moving up our board due to his early season play. He's an impressive open-field tackler who plays with a chip on his shoulder, and while he can look a bit lost at times (including taking some poor angles when the ball is in the air), he has impressive ball skills to go with good length, leaping ability and hand-eye coordination. The Tide travel to Ole Miss this week to play the Rebels.
i

16. DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville Cardinals (Grade: 89)
6-3, 207 pounds

Parker is currently out with a foot injury, so we'll have to monitor how he recovers and then performs once he gets back on the field this season. His size-speed combo is above average, although not outstanding, but he's fast enough to run under the deep ball and is dangerous after the catch, including the ability to slip tackles and pick up yards after contact. His ball skills are just average, as he drops a lot of catchable passes and isn't great on 50-50 balls, but he can pluck the ball out of the air and make over-the-shoulder catches. He has good separation skills.
i

17. Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson Tigers (Grade: 89)
6-3, 220 pounds

Beasley's first-step quickness and closing speed are notches below elite, but he displays good speed-to-power potential as a pass-rusher. He is at his best when shooting gaps, and shows good instincts and the ability to quickly locate the ball as a run defender. He has the potential to develop into a sideline-to-sideline tackler. However, he is narrow in his lower body and can be engulfed by offensive linemen, and he doesn't have the size potential to develop into an every-down NFL defensive end.
i

18. Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin Badgers (Grade: 88)*
6-1, 207 pounds

Gordon has great acceleration off his plant foot and good lateral agility to make defenders miss in small creases, and good-but-not-elite top-end speed (I saw him get tracked down on a long run in the season opener against LSU -- that's the difference between Gordon and a guy likeJamaal Charles). He displayed excellent vision and patience and was running hard behind his pads against the Tigers, which is consistent with what we've seen from him on tape. He's a work in progress in the passing game, but appears to be doing better in pass protection and shows the ability to make big plays after the catch. He already has eight touchdowns this season and is averaging 7.8 yards per rush.
i

19. Ty Montgomery, WR, Stanford Cardinal (Grade: 88)
6-1, 210 pounds

Montgomery is at his best with the ball in his hands, displaying a strong combination of vision, balance and elusiveness to manufacture yards both after the catch and in the return game (his power was on display when he ran over two Washington defenders for a touchdown last weekend). He has very good top-end speed to outrun defenders when he catches a seam. He shows good feel as a route runner, showing good burst out of breaks and the ability to find soft spots in zone coverage. He has had a few bad drops in his career and isn't a difference-maker in one-on-one jump-ball situations downfield. (Montgomery recently weighed in on his draft stock for ESPN The Magazine.)
i

20. Devin Funchess, TE, Michigan Wolverines (Grade: 87)*
6-4, 235 pounds

Funchess has been banged up so far this season and the Wolverines are dealing with their fair share of turmoil, but he has still managed to be relatively effective and flash the potential that makes him a top-20 prospect. He often lines up at receiver for Michigan but projects best as a flex tight end in the NFL -- he is on the taller and leaner side for the position (getting muscled out as an in-line blocker and occasionally on routes), but has good speed and quickness for it. He is a downfield threat and flashes the ability to make the first defender miss and has the strength to pick up yards after contact.
i

21. Nelson Agholor, WR, USC Trojans (Grade: 87)*
6-0, 185 pounds

Agholor is a smooth and explosive athlete who can separate from coverage, and has the potential to get even better as a route runner. He has the speed to take the top off of a defense, and while he lacks elite elusiveness, he has the acceleration and field vision that make him a home run threat after the catch and in the return game. His ball skills are inconsistent (drops too many catchable passes), but he shows the ability to pluck the ball on the move without breaking stride.
i

22. Mike Bennett, DT, Ohio State Buckeyes (Grade: 87)
6-2, 286 pounds

Bennett has below-average bulk for the position and gets overwhelmed by double-teams against the run, but he controls blockers one-on-one when teams run at him and he's quick enough to disrupt plays in the backfield. He can shoot gaps as a pass-rusher and displays above-average closing burst; while he doesn't have the quickness of last year's No. 13 overall pick Aaron Donald, he is more than explosive enough to play the 3-technique in a 4-3 defense. He is a hard-nosed player who doesn't back down, even against bigger players.
i

23. A.J. Cann, G, South Carolina Gamecocks (Grade: 87)
6-2, 319 pounds

Cann is a high-character lineman with good awareness and toughness. He isn't an elite athlete, nor is he overpowering at the point of attack, but he possesses good quickness, agility and balance for the position, allowing him to hold up well in pass protection. He does a good job with his first step and overall angles as a run-blocker.
i

24. Ronald Darby, CB, Florida State Seminoles (Grade: 87)*
5-11, 188 pounds

Darby combines very good physical tools with good discipline and recognition skills in coverage. He is rarely caught out of position, and has above-average recovery speed when a receiver is able to break free in man coverage. He could afford to make more out of his interception opportunities, but the biggest concern with Darby is his ability to match up with bigger receivers. He has to get stronger, as he gets pushed around a lot at the line of scrimmage.
i

25. T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh Panthers (Grade: 86)
6-4, 313 pounds

Clemmings played poorly last season after transitioning from defensive line to offensive tackle after Pittsburgh was ravaged by injuries on its O-line, in large part because he had no idea what he was doing. But he was on our radar heading into 2014 based on his raw physical tools and high upside, and it's clear that his offseason work has been huge for him in terms of getting better. He's still very much a work in progress, but he has an excellent combination of length, agility and upper-body power. This is his first appearance in the Top 32.
i

26. Marcus Peters, CB, Washington Huskies (Grade: 86)
5-11, 193 pounds

Peters has prototypical size for the cornerback position to go with above-average top-end speed. He gets into trouble in coverage on occasion due to a lack of proper footwork and technique, but makes up for it with good athleticism and fluidity, and he's effective in press technique because of his physicality. He's a willing run defender, and possesses quality playmaking instincts when playing the ball. Peters served a one-game suspension earlier this season, missing the Illinois game, and was held out early against Stanford as another punishment before re-entering the lineup and recording an interception.
i

27. Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State Seminoles (Grade: 85)
5-11, 175 pounds

Greene was the Seminoles' most consistent and productive pass-catcher last season (even more so than big-play threat Kelvin Benjamin, who is now with the Carolina Panthers), and he has been a standout so far this season, playing a key role in the Seminoles' comeback win over NC State on Saturday. He has below-average size for the wide receiver position at the next level, but he is a sudden athlete with the ability to beat press coverage with his quickness off the line, and he also has great quickness in and out of breaks which allows him to separate from defensive backs. He reminds one of Marqise Lee.
i

28. Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State Spartans (Grade: 85)*
6-4, 257 pounds

Calhoun could afford to add some bulk and strength to his frame, but he has good top-end speed for his size, including above-average first-step quickness and the ability to transfer speed to power as a pass-rusher. He's also quick enough to shoot the gaps and be disruptive against the running game. Overall, there is good physicality to his game. The Spartans have a big game against Nebraska on Saturday night (8 p.m. ET, ESPN).
i

29. Danny Shelton, DT, Washington Huskies (Grade: 85)
6-2, 332 pounds

Shelton is having a very productive start to the season, tying for the nation's lead in sacks with seven through five games. He has tree trunks for legs and a massive frame overall, with the powerful upper body you look for in a prototypical two-gap defensive tackle. He has the strength to collapse the pocket as a pass-rusher, although he's still developing in this area of his game. He is good in run defense and shows above-average instincts, and he plays with an edge and a quality motor.
i

30. Shaq Thompson, OLB, Washington Huskies (Grade: 85)*
6-2, 224 pounds

Thompson was recruited as a safety to Washington, so he's undersized for the position (he will never be a strong take-on guy), but he makes up for that with excellent speed and athleticism. He has sideline-to-sideline range against the run and very good coverage skills, and the Huskies have even utilized him at running back at times this season. He is a fundamentally sound and reliable tackler, with the ability to deliver a big hit.
i

31. Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma Sooners (Grade: 85)
6-5, 320 pounds

Thompson is a massive tackle prospect with good bulk, length and above-average foot quickness and lateral agility. He could afford to display more toughness on tape, and he needs to get stronger, but his athleticism allows him to do very well in pass protection and as a run-blocker in space. He is one of the anchors of a very good, very experienced Sooners offensive line.
i

32. T.J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama Crimson Tide (Grade: 86)*
6-1, 220 pounds

Yeldon is dealing with a hamstring injury that bears monitoring ahead of the Tide's showdown with Ole Miss on Saturday -- he was limited to 59 yards on 18 carries in Bama's SEC opener against Florida in their last game. As a prospect, Yeldon is tall with a somewhat lean frame, and isn't an overpowering runner, but he has good balance and can keep his feet moving after contact. He also has excellent lateral agility (especially for a taller back), which, combined with his instincts and patience, makes him highly effective at finding the hole and accelerating through it on runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com