Regrading Every NFL Team's 2014 Draft

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]Re-grading the 2014 NFL draft[/h][h=3]Mel takes a look at where he was right and wrong for all 32 teams ... so far[/h]
By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider
in.gif

Yes, I know you can't grade a draft class for performance until a few years after -- at least. But again, the draft grades aren't based on NFL performance, they are based on total value added based on where I had players ranked. It's about maximizing the draft, maneuvering through trades, and nothing more.
Remember: The updated grades are just a fun exercise in seeing how the draft class appears to be shaping up. It's a check to see how players are coming along. A few parameters:
• I look at first-year impact from the rookie class based on relative value -- contributing to a winner is worth more than piling up reps for a bad team.
• I included rookie undrafted free agents added after the draft. (That's part of the process, really.)
• Like the rookie rankings, I try to ask whether players who contributed could do so for most teams. Again, relative value matters.

On the undrafted free agents: Those guys are a part of the draft in many ways. The draft is shorter now to better allocate rookies, so how well teams prioritize free agents is part of that process. And I certainly scout and rate far more players than will be drafted. With that in mind, let's see whether my draft night grades held up.

[h=3]AFC East[/h]​
nyj.gif

[h=3]New York Jets[/h]
RoundPickPositionPlayerCollege
(1)18SCalvin PryorLouisville
(2)49TEJace AmaroTexas Tech
(3)80CBDexter McDougleMaryland
(4)104WRJalen SaundersOklahoma
(4)115WRShaq EvansUCLA
(4)137GDakota DozierFurman
(5)154LBJeremiah GeorgeIowa State
(6)195CBBrandon DixonNW Missouri State
(6)209WRQuincy EnunwaNebraska
(6)210DEI.K. EnemkpaliLouisiana Tech
(6)213QBTajh BoydClemson
(7)233OLBTrevor ReillyUtah

<thead style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">
</thead><tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">
</tbody>

[h=3]Post-draft grade: B[/h]Summary: There is going to be a misconception about this dropped grade. Let me dispel that quickly, because I hear "struggled" when this player's rookie year is described, pretty much all the time. The truth: Calvin Pryor was just fine as a rookie. He was better than a league-average safety, and in a league where safeties and corners look bad all the time as they adjust to the speed and technical ability of receivers, tight ends and backs running at them -- remember Dee Milliner's rookie year, Jets fans? -- Pryor wasn't remotely bad. He just wasn't a star, had his ups and downs in coverage, and assuming he improves, he can be a really good player. He wasn't a bad pick. Jace Amaro caught 38 passes (tied for second on the team) and if he can ever find chemistry with whomever is at QB, can be a good one. Dexter McDougle got hurt, so that's just bad luck.
Where this draft suffers is New York simply didn't find even the hint of a playmaker at wide receiver when so many others did. They took Pryor when Brandin Cooks was available (excusable), McDougle instead of John Brown or Donte Moncrief, then both Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans in front or Martavis Bryant. Heck yes, this is total hindsight, but that's what an early re-grade is. I wrote then, "I thought the Jets did a nice job with my one question being whether they really added a player in the passing game that will scare defenses." Amaro is a start, and a trade for Percy Harvin that came too late helped, but there was some bad luck and missed opportunities. There's nothing really to be said yet for the many late lottery ticket picks they had. The fact that the team struggled so much doesn't help, either.
[h=3]New grade: C+[/h]

<offer style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16.6200008392334px;">
mia.gif

[h=3]Miami Dolphins[/h]
(1)19TJa'Wuan JamesTennessee
(2)63WRJarvis LandryLSU
(3)67TBilly TurnerND State
(4)125CBWalt AikensLiberty
(5)155TEArthur LynchGeorgia
(5)171OLBJordan TrippMontana
(6)190WRMatt HazelCoastal Carolina
(7)234DETerrence FedeMarist

<thead style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">
</thead><tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">
</tbody>

[h=3]Post-draft grade: B[/h]
Summary: At the time, I described this as "a really quiet draft class in terms of star appeal, but the Dolphins did a pretty solid job of hitting their biggest needs. Ja'Wuan James isn't a player many people know, but ... the Dolphins need an immediate starter at right tackle, and that's James." And, "Jarvis Landry doesn't fill a major need at WR, but he's a really reliable target who catches absolutely everything."
James did, in fact, get plugged in, but it's hard to push the grade up based on his performance because while he turned in nearly 1,100 snaps, it was pure necessity, and Ryan Tannehill saw just as much pressure in 2014 as he did in 2013. That said, James did start and a year of reps could help. He can still turn into a good NFL player. Landry was a favorite of mine and finished second among all rookies in catches, and led the Dolphins with 84. If there's a knock it's that he didn't stretch the field at all (9.0 YPC), but that's a nice find at No. 63 overall, and Tannehill's so-so protection factored in to any field-stretching. That's about it, though. Walt Aikens is a "we'll see" type, and Billy Turner could develop. I do think they helped Tannehill, which was the goal. James just needs to take another step.
[h=3]New grade: B-[/h]

nwe.gif

[h=3]New England Patriots[/h]
(1)29DLDominique EasleyFlorida
(2)62QBJimmy GaroppoloEastern Illinois
(4)105CBryan StorkFlorida State
(4)130RBJames WhiteWisconsin
(4)140OLCameron FlemingStanford
(6)179GJon HalapioFlorida
(6)198DEZach MooreConcordia (MN)
(7)206CBJemea ThomasGeorgia Tech
(7)244WRJeremy GallonMichigan

</tbody>

[h=3]Post-draft grade: C[/h]
Summary: Why does the grade go up with so little from both a first- and a second-round pick, one of which still deserves a major question mark? Because they're in the Super Bowl and got value out of a rookie class even with a deep roster. I wrote then: "The Patriots should be better in 2014 than they were in 2013. They get significant pieces back on defense, and the unrest they experienced on offense (not to mention the youth at WR) is a year removed. Because of that, they took a player in Round 1 who needs to play a limited role this season due to health concerns, and a player in Round 2 who hopefully doesn't see a snap."
While I understand taking Dominique Easley in Round 1 -- he's a top-10 talent if healthy -- it still feels like a major bet on a guy with a major injury history. He played just 270 snaps, not a total surprise. We really don't know what he'll become. A great get was landing eventual starting center Bryan Stork in Round 4 and also getting likely keepers Cameron Fleming and Zach Moore.James White could factor in eventually. Yes, they got less out of their rookies than many teams with worse grades. But, divide that by winning.

buf.gif

[h=3]Buffalo Bills[/h]
(1)4WRSammy WatkinsClemson
(2)44TCyrus KouandjioAlabama
(3)73LBPreston BrownLouisville
(4)109CBRoss CockrellDuke
(5)153GCyril RichardsonBaylor
(7)221OLBRandell JohnsonFlorida Atlantic
(7)237TSeantrel HendersonMiami (FL)

</tbody>

[h=3]Post-draft grade: C-[/h]
Summary: I wrote this after the draft: "My issue is that this draft is loaded with wide receivers -- there are good ones already signing as undrafted free agents as I type this, in fact -- and the Bills paid a significant price to get [Sammy] Watkins. A future first-round pick is always a heavy price, but they threw in a fourth, as well, and they could have gotten a very good wide receiver in Odell Beckham Jr. without moving. Or think about this: The Jags took a QB one slot ahead of Watkins, but still managed to get Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson in Round 2. Would you rather have Watkins, or those two plus next year's first?" This is pure speculation, but the reality is the Bills paid a huge price to move up a few spots for Watkins when they could have added picks and moved a couple spots down and still gotten Beckham.
I still really like Watkins, the No. 2 player on my final 2014 Big Board. I still feel like the Bills paid a massive price to get him, one fans now realize more today knowing they don't pick until No. 45 overall in April. Watkins didn't get much help at QB, but still finished with 65 catches (sixth among rookies) and nearly 1,000 yards. Again, he's going to be great, but he has to be to justify the cost. Cyrus Kouandjio is still a mystery, but Preston Brown is a keeper, a nice value in Round 3 who delivered over 1,000 effective snaps. I know Seantrel Henderson started, but based on performance that was pure necessity -- he really struggled and should be challenged to keep the job. The Bills got players, but they had to with how much they gave up.

[h=3]AFC North[/h]​
pit.gif

[h=3]Pittsburgh Steelers[/h]
(1)15OLBRyan ShazierOhio State
(2)46DEStephon TuittNotre Dame
(3)97RBDri ArcherKent State
(4)118WRMartavis BryantClemson
(5)157DBShaq RichardsonArizona
(5)173TWesley JohnsonVanderbilt
(6)192ILBJordan ZumwaltUCLA
(6)215DEDaniel McCullersTennessee
(7)230TERob BlanchflowerUMass

</tbody>

[h=3]Post-draft grade: A-[/h]
Summary: I summarized the draft by writing: "Even though the Steelers could have done more at cornerback, it was hard to pass on players they took where they did, and it adds up to one of the best 2014 draft classes." The grade has slipped since then, even though it seems clear the Steelers may have one of the bigger steals in the entire draft.
Ryan Shazier is a player I really liked, but between health and simply looking overwhelmed at times, he just wasn't an impact player for this defense. Did Pittsburgh whiff on C.J. Mosley, whom the Ravens got two picks later? Shazier hopefully makes major strides in 2015. Defensive end Stephon Tuitt should be a starter in the future, but he's also just getting his sea legs at this level. I hoped for more from running back Dri Archer, but it's early.
The big hit was wide receiver Martavis Bryant, a first-round physical talent who hadn't put it all together while at Clemson and dropped to Round 4. Once he saw the field, the impact was there. He's the reason the grade stays where it does. And the Steelers go into another draft (2015) with cornerback as a need.
[h=3]New grade: B[/h]

cin.gif

[h=3]Cincinnati Bengals[/h]
(1)24CBDarqueze DennardMichigan State
(2)55RBJeremy HillLSU
(3)88DEWilliam ClarkeWest Virginia
(4)111CRussell BodineUNC
(5)164QBAJ McCarronAlabama
(6)212OLBMarquis FlowersArizona
(7)239WRJames WrightLSU
(7)252DBLavelle WestbrooksGeorgia Southern

</tbody>

Summary: I can hear Bengals fans up in arms about dropping the grade a little after Jeremy Hillwas everything you could hope for as a second-round pick, but it's hard to move it up when (A) that's really not a shocking return out of a second-round back if he gets the carries (222) in an age when the second round is a really good slot for that position, and (B) the first-round pick is still an incomplete. Darqueze Dennard played only 61 snaps all season at cornerback. I'm a fan of his talent, and while he may have simply run into a ceiling of more veteran players not getting hurt, he's still in the "we'll see" camp.
The Bengals also were able to plug in Russell Bodine at center; he'll just need to find consistency after a really up-and-down year. They didn't have major needs, and they had some veteran players hold up reasonably well in the secondary, where I expected Dennard to be an early-impact guy. More impact in Year 2 won't surprise.

bal.gif

[h=3]Baltimore Ravens[/h]
(1)17ILBC.J. MosleyAlabama
(2)48DTTimmy JerniganFlorida State
(3)79STerrence BrooksFlorida State
(3)99TECrockett GillmoreColorado State
(4)134DEBrent UrbanVirginia
(4)138RBLorenzo TaliaferroCoastal Carolina
(5)175CJohn UrschelPenn State
(6)194QBKeith WenningBall State
(7)218WRMike CampanaroWake Forest

</tbody>

Summary: You have to give the Ravens a lot of credit. Their needs included safety (Calvin Pryorand Ha Ha Clinton-Dix were available) and wide receiver (Brandin Cooks and Kelvin Benjaminwere there), and I also mentioned right tackle (Ja'Wuan James went two picks later). At No. 17, they took C.J. Mosley, and he wasn't just a good rookie -- he was among the top inside linebackers in the NFL. Now, I think Baltimore got bailed out some by the fact that Steve Smith Sr. refuses to age and was a stud at 35, and they didn't truly suffer at wide receiver, making this draft look better.
Elsewhere, Timmy Jernigan was the best rookie 3-4 defensive end in the NFL, and Crockett Gillmore (tight end), Lorenzo Taliaferro (running back) and John Urschel (guard) all saw time. Free safety Terrence Brooks has a ways to go, but has a chance to become a starter. Add it up and it's a pretty productive draft for a team that was a contender.
That said, I did write: "The addition of Steve Smith calms some worries about the weapons Joe Flacco has at his disposal, but Smith is 35 and they could be looking at wide receiver next year." I'll echo that as we head into draft season this year if for some reason Torrey Smith departs.
[h=3]New grade: B+[/h]

cle.gif

[h=3]Cleveland Browns[/h]
(1)8CBJustin GilbertOklahoma State
(1)22QBJohnny ManzielTexas A&M
(2)35GJoel BitonioNevada
(3)71LBChris KirkseyIowa
(3)94RBTerrance WestTowson
(4)127CBPierre DesirLindenwood

</tbody>

[h=3]Post-draft grade: B-[/h]
Summary: The amazing things about this draft class is that Cleveland has no idea what it has out of two first-round picks, with cornerback Justin Gilbert a total nonfactor in 2014 and quarterback Johnny Manziel a storyline for all the wrong reasons. Yet this was still a successful draft in several ways. First, remember that Cleveland has two first-round picks this year thanks to the trade with Buffalo. Again, that's a ton of value to get for a small slide down the board.
Joel Bitonio was one of the best guards in the NFL last season and he looks like a steal. Terrance West put up decent totals and split time with Isaiah Crowell, an undrafted free agent who helps with the grade. Linebacker Chris Kirksey is a keeper, and cornerback Pierre Desir came on late in the year and looked good. Add to that undrafted free agents K'Waun Williams -- who really helped out at cornerback -- and useful wideout Taylor Gabriel, and the Browns got a lot from this class, plus that extra pick. There's a pretty big gripe -- no wide receiver and a total incomplete on Round 1 so far -- but it's amazing how much the Browns did get, and that extra first-rounder is a jewel.

[h=3]AFC South[/h]​
jac.gif

[h=3]Jacksonville Jaguars[/h]
(1)3QBBlake BortlesCentral Florida
(2)39WRMarqise LeeUSC
(2)61WRAllen RobinsonPenn State
(3)93GBrandon LinderMiami (FL)
(4)114CBAaron ColvinOklahoma
(5)144LBTelvin SmithFlorida State
(5)159DEChris SmithArkansas
(6)205CLuke BowankoVirginia
(7)222RBStorm JohnsonCentral Florida

</tbody>

[h=3]Post-draft grade: A[/h]
Summary: The Jags had one of the better grades in the entire draft, but it comes down for two reasons: (1) Blake Bortles didn't look at all like a starting NFL QB, ranking 32nd in Total QBR by a mile, so we just don't know what Jacksonville has there yet, and (2) while so many rookies contributed, they did so for a three-win team, so you can't assume they're getting these kinds of reps for teams in the playoff picture.
But there were many bright spots. Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson combined for 85 catches even as both spent time on the shelf with injuries, and UFA Allen Hurns hauled in 51 catches -- a nice get. Telvin Smith played a lot, made a lot of tackles, and looks like he can be a starter in this league. Brandon Linder was probably the most consistent player on the entire offense, and a healthy Aaron Colvin got on the field late in the year. Furthermore, sixth-rounder Luke Bowankocould be the answer at center. If Bortles is the answer at QB -- a new offensive coordinator should help -- it could be a great class. If not, well, that was the No. 3 pick. It would be a big setback.

hou.gif

[h=3]Houston Texans[/h]
(1)1DEJadeveon ClowneySouth Carolina
(2)33GXavier Su'a-FiloUCLA
(3)65TEC.J. FiedorowiczIowa
(3)83DTLouis Nix IIINotre Dame
(4)135QBTom SavagePittsburgh
(6)177DEJeoffrey PaganAlabama
(6)181RBAlfred BlueLSU
(6)211FBJay ProschAuburn
(7)216CBAndre HalVanderbilt
(7)256SLonnie BallentineMemphis

</tbody>

Summary: I realize people are lining up to call Jadeveon Clowney a bust and a wasted No. 1 overall pick, but it's simply way too soon. We're talking about a freak athlete who won't turn 22 years old until Feb. 14. Yes, the draft doesn't look as good if his health is an issue well into his career, but I'm certainly not closing the door on his potential. Good pick, bad luck, we'll see.
Second-rounder Xavier Su'a-Filo is also something of a redshirt, as he didn't play much at guard and waited his turn behind veteran starters. Tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz saw plenty of the field, but struggled a bit. Alfred Blue turned into a useful player when Arian Foster was out, picking up 528 yards. Tom Savage did see the field, but it was brief exposure. There's no telling yet what he's going to be. Louis Nix III landed on IR. In some ways, this looks like a really disappointing class, but the team improved a ton in the win column, and minus a fair analysis of a healthy Clowney, it feels more like an incomplete.

ten.gif

[h=3]Tennessee Titans[/h]
(1)11TTaylor LewanMichigan
(2)54RBBishop SankeyWashington
(4)112DTDaquan JonesPenn State
(4)122DBMarqueston HuffWyoming
(5)151LBAvery WilliamsonKentucky
(6)178QBZach MettenbergerLSU

</tbody>

[h=3]Post-draft grade: C+[/h]
Summary: I really like a trio of players the Titans added, it's just hard to take that initial grade, look at it through the prism of what almost anybody on the 2014 Titans accomplished (2-14) and say the draft looks a lot better. Taylor Lewan did something a number of other drafted tackles didn't do -- he actually played tackle. While Lewan didn't hit even 400 snaps thanks in part to a late-season injury, he's the Titans' left tackle of the future, and that's pretty good to know. Bishop Sankey is a good player, I just noted then I thought Tennessee should have takenCarlos Hyde instead, and I feel the same way today. Sankey did lead the team with 569 rushing yards, but you simply expect a decent level of production out of a second-round RB or you don't draft him.
A real find here was linebacker Avery Williamson. From Week 5 on, he got starter's reps and acquitted himself well -- not too bad for the No. 151 overall pick in his rookie season. Zach Mettenberger is the wild card here. We know there's talent, but we really have no reason to say at this point he's a future NFL starter at quarterback. We need to see more. The draft doesn't look bad, it just suffers against the win totals.

ind.gif

[h=3]Indianapolis Colts[/h]
(2)59TJack MewhortOhio State
(3)90WRDonte MoncriefMississippi
(5)166DEJonathan NewsomeBall State
(6)203ILBAndrew JacksonWestern Kentucky
(7)232GUlrick JohnGeorgia State

</tbody>

[h=3]Post-draft grade: D+[/h]
Summary: You have to give Ryan Grigson and his scouting team some credit, because they actually got some really good pieces out of this draft even after, frankly, basically flushing away a first-round pick for Trent Richardson. The bulk of the low grade at the time was based around the fact that Richardson, at a non-premium position, had cost them a first and given them close to nothing. At this point, he's probably done in Indy.
That said, Jack Mewhort at No. 59 overall was useful -- basically an average NFL guard, but one who played a ton of snaps. Donte Moncrief, an inconsistent but physically gifted receiver, helped out down the stretch. And Jonathan Newsome was a breakthrough player in a part-time role, showing he can get to the passer. Undrafted free agent Jonotthan Harrison was a really useful addition and gave them a lot of snaps, and fellow UFA Zurlon Tipton got some action -- 87 snaps -- and could be in the RB mix in 2015. Richardson had to factor in the grade here, and they didn't hit a couple needs, but the Colts sure rallied well and pushed the grade up because they found players who helped them win games.

[h=3]AFC West[/h]​
oak.gif

[h=3]Oakland Raiders[/h]
(1)5OLBKhalil MackBuffalo
(2)36QBDerek CarrFresno State
(3)81GGabe JacksonMississippi State
(4)107DTJustin EllisLouisiana Tech
(4)116CBKeith McGillUtah
(7)219CBTravis CarrieOhio
(7)235DEShelby HarrisIllinois State
(7)247SJonathan DowlingWestern Kentucky

</tbody>

[h=3]Post-draft grade: B+[/h]
Summary: I've pounded some Raiders drafts in recent years, but I thought they did a great job in 2014, and it looks even better today. I know a bad team is supposed to get more out of the rookie class, but off the top, I can ask this question: Is there a single team in the NFL that wouldn't have been helped by Khalil Mack in 2014? I wrote then, "They stayed put at No. 5 and got Khalil Mack, who not only offers them an added pass-rusher, but a great deal of versatility. He doesn't have to be a great pass-rusher to be a very good NFL player right away." Well, Mack wasn't a great pass-rusher early on, but he was arguably the single best run defender in the NFL at any position, at least among players not named J.J. Watt. And even then, Mack still piled up 40 QB hurries, per Pro Football Focus numbers. He was a total stud and deserves to be in the Pro Bowl.
While Derek Carr isn't a certain star, he's at least given this franchise hope that it has found a franchise QB. He and Teddy Bridgewater were the best rookie QBs by far, and Carr isn't exactly surrounded by top-flight talent. And Oakland got him in Round 2. Mack and Carr also both fill premium positions. Elsewhere, Justin Ellis was arguably the best rookie defensive tackle not named Aaron Donald, and Oakland nabbed him in Round 4. T.J. Carrie is a starter at CB who held up well as a seventh-round pick, and Gabe Jackson (my No. 2 guard in this class) also played well and could have started on a number of teams. No, it didn't add up to much winning, but the Raiders got a lot from the 2014 draft class.
[h=3]New grade: A-[/h]

sdg.gif

[h=3]San Diego Chargers[/h]
(1)25CBJason VerrettTCU
(2)50OLBJeremiah AttaochuGeorgia Tech
(3)89GChris WattNotre Dame
(5)165DTRyan CarrethersArkansas State
(6)201RBMarion GriceArizona State
(7)240WRTevin ReeseBaylor

</tbody>

Summary: The grade sinks a bit from where it was, but on a team that really didn't have many pressing needs, the pick of Jason Verrett hit my top need (CB) and was a home run early on. Unfortunately, Verrett ended up on injured reserve and didn't play a snap after Week 8. Before that, he was playing as well or better than any rookie CB, and at draft time I pointed out he was a nice get a few slots ahead of the Broncos, who could have used a more "ready" talent at the position and instead ended up with Bradley Roby. (Roby turned out to be a good match for Denver.)
Chris Watt ended up in a starting role after being taken at No. 89 overall, and looks to be a starter in the future at either center or guard. Jeremiah Attaochu saw a little bit of action but has a ways to go; same with Ryan Carrethers, a fifth-rounder. And everybody needs to stay healthy. One of the quiet bright spots didn't come from that draft. Branden Oliver, a UFA running back out of Buffalo, picked up 582 yards rushing, though at just 3.6 yards per carry. Defensive end Tenny Palepoi, another UFA, saw decent action. If Verrett can stay on the field, this group looks a lot better.

kan.gif

[h=3]Kansas City Chiefs[/h]
(1)23DEDee FordAuburn
(3)87CBPhillip GainesRice
(4)124RBDe'Anthony ThomasOregon
(5)163QBAaron MurrayGeorgia
(6)193GZach FultonTennessee
(6)200TLaurent Duvernay-TardifMcGill (Canada)

</tbody>

Summary: When you consider a Chiefs draft class that so far hasn't shown us a whole lot, there are two things to remember. For one, that second-round pick they had traded away is still Alex Smith. Regardless of what you think about where Smith stands as an NFL starter, given where the Chiefs were at QB before they acquired him -- start with that 2012 record of 2-14 and fast-forward to the 20 regular-season wins in the two seasons since -- they could have done worse for the price of a second-rounder.
Secondly, when they drafted Dee Ford it was coming off a season where the pass rush had been slowed (and really hurt them in a playoff loss to Indy) with health issues, and also heading intoJustin Houston's final season before free agency. Houston was a terror this season, and Tamba Hali played in all 16 games. So Ford was mere depth. Beyond that, there were mixed returns.Phillip Gaines saw some action, De'Anthony Thomas showed he'll be a weapon, and Zach Fultonstarted but struggled. They also found undrafted kicker Cairo Santos, and he was pretty solid, going 25-of-30 on field goals. The big void was, as I wrote then, "at wide receiver ... that's an area I might have targeted in a deep draft." The Chiefs didn't get one, and they'll be looking for help there in the draft or free agency this year.

den.gif

[h=3]Denver Broncos[/h]
(1)31CBBradley RobyOhio State
(2)56WRCody LatimerIndiana
(3)95TMichael SchofieldMichigan
(5)156LBLamin BarrowLSU
(6)207CMatt ParadisBoise State
(7)242OLBCorey NelsonOklahoma

</tbody>

Summary: The Broncos went into the 2014 draft as the team that, on paper, probably had the fewest true immediate needs. The reality is that no front office is drafting with the hope that rookies will have to play key roles. Denver had been active in free agency, adding secondary help (Aqib Talib, T.J. Ward) as well as a proven pass-rusher (DeMarcus Ware). This was a win-now roster heading into 2014 -- a well-constructed group on both sides of the ball.
To the extent that they needed a rookie to step up, I think you have to call the addition ofBradley Roby a success. He played over 850 snaps, and proved some of my suspicions that he'd struggle unfounded, as he played pretty well considering how raw I felt he was. Roby is clearly a keeper and a certain starter for years to come. After that, however, there wasn't much of note.Cody Latimer was buried on the depth chart in a deep group of pass-catching options at WR and tight end, and will still need to show that he's a good player, not just a great athlete. Lamin Barrow could start in the future, but we just don't know yet beyond special teams duty. Michael Schofield was supposed to provide help at right tackle, but simply isn't ready yet. No, there weren't many holes to fill, and they won a lot, but beyond Roby there isn't much to show for this class at all, and we don't have any certainty that contributions will come and that useful depth was added.
[h=3]New grade: C[/h]
</offer>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=3]NFC East[/h]​
phi.gif

[h=3]Philadelphia Eagles[/h]
(1)26OLBMarcus SmithLouisville
(2)42WRJordan MatthewsVanderbilt
(3)86WRJosh HuffOregon
(4)101CBJaylen WatkinsFlorida
(5)141DETaylor HartOregon
(5)162DBEd ReynoldsStanford
(7)224DTBeau AllenWisconsin

</tbody>

Summary: The Eagles did add some early impact, but I thought Marcus Smith was a reach in Round 1, and I think they might agree at this point. Hey, everyone needed pass-rushers and there just weren't many to be found. But Smith was my No. 85-ranked player going into the draft, and I think the Eagles felt like trading down and adding a little value might have justified the reach. In the end, it was a total redshirt for Smith, who never saw the field.
In the second round, Philly almost made up for it. I wrote then, "I thought Jordan Matthewswould have made sense at No. 22, much less 42. (If you take Matthews early, Smith late, it works, so no harm, no foul on value.) I love that pick." Matthews really is a stud, a first-rounder in my mind. But it's hard to call it a great swap now, because Smith is still a total mystery, and other teams found WRs in Round 2. Elsewhere, Josh Huff offers WR depth and -- well, that's about it, save for a nice undrafted steal in kicker Cody Parkey, who was absolutely fantastic. I liked this draft in May a lot more than I like it now, because an OLB was a need and Smith is a mystery. Hopefully, it gets better.

nyg.gif

[h=3]New York Giants[/h]
(1)12WROdell Beckham Jr.LSU
(2)43CWeston RichburgColorado State
(3)74DTJay BromleySyracuse
(4)113RBAndre WilliamsBoston College
(5)152SNat BerheSan Diego State
(5)174OLBDevon KennardUSC
(6)187CBBennett JacksonNotre Dame

</tbody>

Summary: If you prorate Odell Beckham Jr.'s numbers over 16 games, it comes to 121 catches for 1,740 yards and 16 TDs. I mention that only because when people see the 91 catches for over 1,300 yards and those 12 TD catches, they tend to forget Beckham didn't even play until Week 5. More incredible, through his first three games, he had only 10 catches. What happened the second half of the season was absurd. Wait -- we're supposed to be talking about the draft, right? Needless to say, the Giants might have added a generational-type talent, a guy who stands out even from a loaded WR class. I wrote after the draft, "Odell Beckham Jr. has a chance to be a really dynamic NFL player, a reliable pass-catcher with both the quick-twitch explosiveness to make plays after the catch, and the straight-line speed to run away from defenders. I thought Eric Ebron could be in play at No. 12, but Detroit took him at No. 10. Eli Manning gets a needed weapon in the passing game."
It's interesting to consider whether the G-Men take Ebron over Beckham if he's there, no? Elsewhere, Weston Richburg had his struggles at guard, but I actually think he's better at center, so that was a transition. And he did rack up well over 1,000 snaps. Not bad. Andre Williamsproduced when he saw the field and could be the starter in 2015, and Devon Kennard is also a likely starter after playing well down the stretch. Jay Bromley is still a question mark, and they did need D-line help, but they also saw Johnathan Hankins emerge. The Giants stood pat, hit a home run with Beckham as the third WR taken and weren't done there. Great draft.
[h=3]New grade: A[/h]

dal.gif

[h=3]Dallas Cowboys[/h]
(1)16TZack MartinNotre Dame
(2)34DEDemarcus LawrenceBoise State
(4)119OLBAnthony HitchensIowa
(5)146WRDevin StreetPittsburgh
(7)231DEBen GardnerStanford
(7)238OLBWill SmithTexas Tech
(7)248SAhmad DixonBaylor
(7)251DTKen BishopNorthern Illinois
(7)254DBTerrance MitchellOregon

</tbody>

Summary: Here's what I wrote then: "Give Jerry Jones credit: I don't think it's unfair to at least be tempted by the prospect of Johnny Football with that blue star on his helmet, playing in that football theatre. But Manziel isn't making Dallas a better team in 2014, and Tony Romo -- for all the derision -- is a really good QB when he gets protection. The Dallas offensive line with Zack Martin isn't just the strength of the team, it's arguably among the top few units in the NFL. They are going to be able to run the ball. I had Martin as high as the top 10, so that's not a bad pick."
I'm thrilled to see Martin do so well, because I really was a big fan. He as one of the better guards in the NFL this year and, along with Joel Bitonio of Cleveland, top rookies at that position. The one thing I should point out: If you draft a player at No. 16 with the intention of moving him to guard, you're expecting him to start. I'm not saying Dallas couldn't afford to miss, but they had to assume he was a starter because Martin obviously has more value at tackle. So the grade has to jump because they nail the pick, and it leads to more wins.
It's relatively quiet after that. DeMarcus Lawrence is going to be a player but had only 277 snaps after not seeing the field until Week 9. Anthony Hitchens provided some useful depth, as well, with over 600 snaps. That's really about it, though you could mention undrafted CB Tyler Patmon seeing some time. All in all, Dallas hit one great pick (so far) and mostly dodged a bullet in doing so. They also won a bunch, which is an added bonus.

was.gif

[h=3]Washington Redskins[/h]
(2)47OLBTrent MurphyStanford
(3)66TMorgan MosesVirginia
(3)78GSpencer LongNebraska
(4)102CBBashaud BreelandClemson
(5)142WRRyan GrantTulane
(6)186RBLache SeastrunkBaylor
(7)217TETed BolserIndiana
(7)228KZach HockerArkansas

</tbody>

Summary: Robert Griffin III played in nine games, threw for 1,694 yards, four TDs and six INTs. I bring that up because in what turned into yet another tumultuous year at QB for the Redskins, RG III is a big factor in this draft grade, as the Redskins were again without a first-round pick, hopefully for the last time for a while. That Washington is still something of a mess at QB drags this grade down because they didn't pick until No. 47 overall, and it's a mixed bag after that.
Trent Murphy offered useful depth, and figures to be a part of the rotation going forward, though his ceiling is a question. Morgan Moses is still a question mark and ended the season on injured reserve. He has the potential to be a starting tackle, but we just don't know yet. Bashaud Breeland had some fabulous performances, but also often looked like a rookie CB and make his fair share of mistakes. He can be a good one if he can become more consistent. I thoughtSpencer Long was a big reach, and he didn't really play. Lache Seastrunk didn't make the team. All in all, not yet a group to get excited about given there were opportunities for rookies on this roster, and the QB situation doesn't help.
[h=3]New grade: C-[/h]

[h=3]NFC North[/h]​
gnb.gif

[h=3]Green Bay Packers[/h]
(1)21SHa Ha Clinton-DixAlabama
(2)53WRDavante AdamsFresno State
(3)85DTKhyri ThorntonSouthern Miss
(3)98TERichard RodgersCal
(4)121LBCarl BradfordArizona State
(5)161CCorey LinsleyOhio State
(5)176WRJared AbbrederisWisconsin
(6)197CBDemetri GoodsonBaylor
(7)236WRJeff JanisSaginaw Valley (MI)

</tbody>

Summary: This is a really good-looking draft class when you consider not only did Green Bay get a ton of reps, but these guys were playing in the NFC Championship Game. Ha Ha Clinton-Dixwas a pick I called "an easy call" at No. 21 overall, and while he certainly had his ups and downs, I think even cynical Packers fans -- or those who watched Seattle's miraculous two-point conversion too many times -- have to think he's got the upside of a Pro Bowler.
Davante Adams sure looks like a good pick and was able to work his way into the mix even among a talented cast of pass-catchers. Same story with Richard Rodgers, who snagged 20 catches and looks to have a bright future. Corey Linsley is maybe the best story here. He looks like one of the steals of the draft as a sixth-rounder who stepped in and played center pretty effectively -- and all season. If there's a complaint, it's that I really wanted the Packers to get a player who could play inside linebacker early on, and they didn't, which in part necessitated Clay Matthews playing inside so often. Still, a pretty great draft when you consider the contributions to winning.

min.gif

[h=3]Minnesota Vikings[/h]
(1)9OLBAnthony BarrUCLA
(2)32QBTeddy BridgewaterLouisville
(3)72DEScott CrichtonOregon State
(3)96RBJerick McKinnonGeorgia Southern
(5)145GDavid YankeyStanford
(6)182CBAntone ExumVirginia Tech
(6)184CBKendall JamesMaine
(7)220DTShamar StephenUConn
(7)223OLBBrandon WattsGeorgia Tech
(7)225CBJabari PriceUNC

</tbody>

Summary: I actually knocked this draft down a peg last spring because I simply wasn't as high on Anthony Barr as a player who could come in and provide early returns as a pass-rusher. The Vikings got him at No. 9, and I thought it was a reach. What happened? They took him off the line of scrimmage. The cynical side of me says that still made him somewhat of a reach, because I think you can get a player to succeed early there further down the board. But I am also impressed with Barr's transition -- he had moved from offense to defense at UCLA -- and it's clear the Vikings have a player.
They also have a player in Teddy Bridgewater, who was the top QB on my all-rookie team. Sure, you can question whether he'll become a star, but you can't question that he looked more ready for this level of competition than any other rookie QB, and that he's simply tough. I really like Bridgewater's chances, and as I said then, "moving decisively to get [him] made sense, and they have the pieces around him to help him succeed." Jerick McKinnon got called into action earlier than we thought and looked pretty good -- I do think if he gets a lot of carries, he's going to hit a lot of home runs. All in all, Minny has to be excited about this class. Barr was pretty good, and Bridgewater has a chance to be the answer at QB. Great start.

chi.gif

[h=3]Chicago Bears[/h]
(1)14CBKyle FullerVirginia Tech
(2)51DTEgo FergusonLSU
(3)82DTWill SuttonArizona State
(4)117RBKa'Deem CareyArizona
(4)131SBrock VereenMinnesota
(6)183QBDavid FalesSan Diego State
(6)191PPat O'DonnellMiami (FL)
(7)246TCharles Leno Jr.Boise State

</tbody>

Summary: I thought the Bears did a pretty decent job of attacking what was truly an awful defense. I think they just got a little bit unlucky because they had some rookies on that side of the ball really get thrown into it a bit too quickly. In the case of Kyle Fuller, I thought he not only had to take on a lot of responsibility after the secondary lost Charles Tillman, but he was also played a lot of football while banged up. So while he struggled in coverage for much of the second half of the season, he showed a lot of toughness after starting out great, and I think he'll be a really good player for Chicago going forward. And again: Rookie cornerbacks struggle. We see these guys get abused every single year.
Elsewhere, Ego Ferguson (who really had some "raw" in his game) and Will Sutton both did some good things and also had predictable struggles as rotation players. Ka'Deem Carey is a "we'll see" at this point, though I think he can be effective if given the chance, and maybe Brock Vereen can get better. He looked overmatched. Christian Jones was a decent UFA pickup, saw some reps and has a starter's upside. The Bears did get their punter in Pat O'Donnell. If there's a question, it's whether they should have hit safety first with a guy like Ha Ha Clinton-Dix -- I had safety as the No. 1 need. It's not a great class at this point, because there's just no breakthrough yet (do these guys get this many reps on a decent defense?), but I have a hunch it could look a lot better after next season, as these guys got experienced and the defense will hopefully get more organized.

det.gif

[h=3]Detroit Lions[/h]
(1)10TEEric EbronUNC
(2)40OLBKyle Van NoyBYU
(3)76CTravis SwansonArkansas
(4)133DBNevin LawsonUtah State
(4)136DELarry WebsterBloomsburg (PA)
(5)158DTCaraun ReidPrinceton
(6)189WRT.J. JonesNotre Dame
(7)229KNate FreeseBoston College

</tbody>

Summary: Golden Tate was arguably the best free-agent pickup of the 2014 offseason, which is a good way of saying Detroit didn't really need to draft Odell Beckham Jr. But ... just sayin'. They did get a matchup-threat pass-catcher in Eric Ebron, and while I wouldn't say he struggled, he was well down the pecking order and had just 23 catches. It wouldn't surprise me if he doubles that total next year, but does the pecking order change?
After that, this draft gets pretty light, with a sneaky, big miss. I'm a big fan of Kyle Van Noy, but he got hurt and wasn't able to contribute. If the Lions weren't so good on defense this year under Teryl Austin, maybe that injury hurts a little more. On offense, Travis Swanson could be a starter going forward with Dominic Raiola's tenure over, but he had some struggles when he did play. A miss that hurt was Nate Freese, the rookie kicker who went three for his first seven and got cut. I mention it because three undrafted kickers had really solid seasons. Ebron should be better, and hopefully Van Noy and Swanson are effective starters in Year 2.

[h=3]NFC South[/h]​
tam.gif

[h=3]Tampa Bay Buccaneers[/h]
(1)7WRMike EvansTexas A&M
(2)38TEAustin Seferian-JenkinsWashington
(3)69RBCharles SimsWest Virginia
(5)143GKadeem EdwardsTennessee State
(5)149TKevin PamphilePurdue
(6)185WRRobert HerronWyoming

</tbody>

Summary: The big question around Tampa Bay last year was whether it'd try to maximize the chances of success of the quarterbacks on the roster by surrounding them with talent or pulling the trigger on a quarterback in the draft. They went with Option A, and while receiver Mike Evanswas everything you could hope for out of a No. 7 pick, tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins is still just scratching the surface, and we have no idea what the quarterback situation will be going forward, as neither Josh McCown nor Mike Glennon set the world on fire.
Fun hypothetical, Bucs fans: Would you rather have Evans or Teddy Bridgewater? I'm not sure I know the answer, but I do think the Bucs did well with Evans.
As for the rest of the draft, there's still a lot to find out. Running back Charles Sims is a talent but was limited by an injury. Guard Kadeem Edwards is a wait and see, and that's really about it from this draft so far. Evans is going to be a star, but this team struggled mightily and got limited return elsewhere compared to other teams with similar records. (It does make you think they could be headed for a big rebound if they get anything from the quarterback position in 2015.)

atl.gif

[h=3]Atlanta Falcons[/h]
(1)6TJake MatthewsTexas A&M
(2)37DTRa'Shede HagemanMinnesota
(3)68DBDez SouthwardWisconsin
(4)103RBDevonta FreemanFlorida State
(4)139OLBPrince ShemboNotre Dame
(5)147DBRicardo AllenPurdue
(5)168LBMarquis SpruillSyracuse
(7)253OLBYawin SmallwoodUConn
(7)255LBTyler StarrSouth Dakota

</tbody>

Summary: There's no way to escape the fact that for a big stretch of the season, tackle Jake Matthews really struggled. Of course, he was doing something that some other O-linemen who are getting all the praise at this point -- see: Zack Martin and Joel Bitonio -- weren't doing, which is actually playing left tackle in the NFL. If you went through his games, you'd see that by the end of the season he was playing a lot better. So give the Falcons this: They probably have a future left tackle, and that's a nice thing to be able to say.
What we don't know is if they got any other decent starters. Defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman showed flashes in limited snaps, running back Devonta Freeman has a chance to emerge and safety Dezmen Southward could push to start in 2015, though it's not likely. Linebacker Prince Shembo also played more than 300 snaps and could make a push next year. There are some parts here. After the draft I wrote, "The question for me is whether they did enough to really help the pass rush, which was a big need, and I also think a tight end made sense given the departure at that position. Not bad, overall. Matthews will be good."
Well, Matthews should be good, though it's not a given. And while I don't know if the Falcons really had a chance to find impactful pass-rush help -- there wasn't much to be found, really -- that really was a problem in 2014 and is a major need going into this offseason. Not a bad draft, but upside is still a question.

nor.gif

[h=3]New Orleans Saints[/h]
(1)20WRBrandin CooksOregon State
(2)58CBStan Jean-BaptisteNebraska
(4)126LBKhairi ForttCal
(5)167DBVinnie SunseriAlabama
(5)169OLBRonald PowellFlorida
(6)202TTavon RooksKansas State

</tbody>

Summary: Before his season was cut short due to an injury, receiver Brandin Cooks had 53 catches for 550 yards. And given the way he was getting on the same page with Drew Brees -- which included more deeper throws to take advantage of Cooks' exceptional speed -- I'd argue Cooks had a chance to have more receptions than any player from this class not named Odell Beckham Jr. by the end of the season. And he might not have been far off ODB's 91 had he stayed healthy this season. Cooks looks more like a slot guy than a matchup headache over the top, but he can really do it all, and fully healthy I'd expect him to have a big season in 2015. It's worth devoting the extra time to him, of course, because there's not much else to talk about from this class so far. The Saints weren't packed with needs, so you didn't expect a ton, but it's really wait and see all over the place beyond Cooks.
I thought second-rounder cornerback Stanley Jean-Baptiste was a reach in Round 2 -- a developmental player -- and that's the track he's on. He didn't really play. Linebacker Khairi Forttis already on his third team, and I also thought safety Vinnie Sunseri went a bit early. Maybe a healthy Ronald Powell turns into something at linebacker. Cooks should be good, but there's not much to speak of so far after that.

car.gif

[h=3]Carolina Panthers[/h]
(1)28WRKelvin BenjaminFlorida State
(2)60DEKony EalyMissouri
(3)92GTrai TurnerLSU
(4)128DBTre BostonUNC
(5)148CBBene BenwikereSan Jose State
(6)204RBTyler GaffneyStanford

</tbody>

[h=3]Post-draft grade: C[/h]
Summary: I wrote then that, "For a team that had a huge season in 2013, the Panthers entered the 2014 draft with some major needs. The biggest needs for me were on offense, where Cam Newton is facing the bad combination of a lack of guys to catch passes and a lack of protection when he drops back." Well, I think the Panthers did well in hitting one of those needs, and so-so in addressing the other.
On the positive side, receiver Kelvin Benjamin was inconsistent but also the best thing Newton had not named Greg Olsen. Benjamin made some big-time plays. The problem was he was inconsistent in route running and had some huge drops, too. That has to get better. Also credit Carolina for getting receiver Philly Brown as an undrafted free agent. He provided a spark. The problem was the Panthers didn't get anything at tackle, and the protection for Newton was horrific. Few quarterbacks could look good at all here.
But that's the Cam side. There were positives elsewhere. Carolina had one of the best sleepers in the draft in Bene Benwikere, a cornerback out of San Jose State who looked like a capable veteran for much of the season. They also got a future starter at safety in Tre Boston. Guard Trai Turner was one of my favorite players in the draft, and he looked pretty good as a rookie. Defensive end Kony Ealy had moments but has work to do. Still, he has the upside of a starter. This was a solid draft, with the only demerits coming in the fact that some tackle, any tackle, might have helped. But it's hard to complain beyond that.

[h=3]NFC West[/h]​
sfo.gif

[h=3]San Francisco 49ers[/h]
(1)30SJimmie WardNorthern Illinois
(2)57RBCarlos HydeOhio State
(3)70CMarcus MartinUSC
(3)77ILBChris BorlandWisconsin
(3)100GBrandon ThomasClemson
(4)106WRBruce EllingtonSouth Carolina
(4)129DBDontae JohnsonNC State
(5)150LBAaron LynchSouth Florida
(5)170DBKeith ReaserFlorida Atlantic
(6)180DBKenneth AckerSouthern Methodist
(7)243DEKaleb RamseyBoston College
(7)245FBTrey MillardOklahoma

</tbody>

[h=3]Post-draft grade: A[/h]
Summary: I really thought this was a fantastic draft at the time, and while I still really like it, the issues are that we don't know if they have a starting wide receiver out of this class, and that's a position of need. While they got contributions in several places from this group, it was a disappointing season for the 49ers measured against their expectations.
I liked the addition of safety Jimmie Ward, and while it was going to be a tough transition for him, he's a versatile player and will be a key player in the secondary next season. Unfortunately, he finished the season on the shelf with an injury. Running back Carlos Hyde was, in my opinion, the top runner in the draft, and given the reps, I think he can prove that in the future. The explosiveness is obvious. Center Marcus Martin was just OK when he played but figures to be a starter going forward. Linebacker Aaron Lynch looks like an absolute steal, a worthy bet in Round 5 by GM Trent Baalke. We started to see the first-round pick we suspected he'd become when he played at Notre Dame as a freshman. I was a big Bruce Ellington fan and liked that pick, but the jury is still out on the receiver/returner.
The great get here is linebacker Chris Borland, so far one of the steals of the entire draft. Highly instinctive and productive at Wisconsin, his football smarts were immediately apparent when he was called upon, and he figures to be a big part of the plans next season. Another name to keep an eye on is Brandon Thomas, a really talented and versatile offensive lineman who could emerge after sitting out the year recovering from an injury he suffered during the draft process. This is another good draft that gets dinged slightly because the team took a step back, particularly on offense.

stl.gif

[h=3]St. Louis Rams[/h]
(1)2TGreg RobinsonAuburn
(1)13DTAaron DonaldPittsburgh
(2)41DBLamarcus JoynerFlorida State
(3)75RBTre MasonAuburn
(4)110SMaurice AlexanderUtah State
(6)188DBE.J. GainesMissouri
(6)214QBGarrett GilbertSMU
(7)226TMitchell Van DykPortland State
(7)241SC.B. BryantOhio State
(7)249DEMichael SamMissouri
(7)250CDemetrius RhaneyTennessee State

</tbody>

Summary: I think people will see this grade and think I'm crazy, because even defensive tackleAaron Donald alone should make this a good draft class, and he is not all they got. The deduction comes because this bounty of picks was added via a trade with Washington, and even if the Redskins haven't made out well given the limbo status of Robert Griffin III, it's pretty fair to say the Rams haven't solved either the quarterback position or whom those quarterbacks are throwing to.
That said, this is still a really good draft. Donald was a star, my defensive rookie of the year. I don't know what else you can say except that he's the definition of good college tape translating to the pros. He can wreck things against the both the run and the pass -- and should do so for years to come. Greg Robinson had some major struggles but did get valuable experience at left tackle. He is one to watch in training camp. Cornerback Lamarcus Joyner was used situationally but added value, and running back Tre Mason is an offensive player we can highlight, as he showed he can be a playmaker in the run game and has a good chance to lead the team in carries in 2015.
The quietly significant addition, of course -- and the guy we should talk about next to Donald -- isE.J. Gaines. It's just a massive coup to get this level of play out of a cornerback taken in Round 6. Give the scouting department major credit for that. There isn't much beyond that. It's a solid class, but all this great drafting hasn't made the offense very good and hasn't made the Rams a winner, either. That drags on the grade.

ari.gif

[h=3]Arizona Cardinals[/h]
(1)27SDeone BucannonWashington State
(2)52TETroy NiklasNotre Dame
(3)84DEKareem MartinUNC
(3)91WRJohn BrownPittsburg State
(4)120QBLogan ThomasVirginia Tech
(5)160DEEd StinsonAlabama
(6)196WRWalt PowellMurray State

</tbody>

Summary: Once they'd effectively solved the gaping hole at left tackle in free agency with the addition of Jared Veldheer, the Cardinals had what was quietly one of the more solid rosters in the NFL by draft time, in my opinion. That they were able to compete as well as they did even after losing the services of starting quarterback Carson Palmer reinforces this point. General manager Steve Keim has done a really good job.
I didn't mind Arizona taking safety Deone Bucannon after moving down, and he had a solid rookie season, especially since he had to do a lot of work close to the line of scrimmage to help the linebackers, which can be tough for a guy playing at a hair more than 210 pounds. Tight endTroy Niklas was disappointing on production, but he was mostly just dogged by injuries and can't really be graded. I didn't dislike the pick at all and still think he's got solid upside. Defensive endKareem Martin is still a work in progress as well.
The big steal here was receiver John Brown. As I wrote after the draft, "Brown was a guy I really liked because of the explosiveness -- witness the 4.34 40 time -- and he could become a solid third WR and also take return reps ...". I think Brown might be a better pass-catcher than they realized. Get better quarterback play and this guy will change the equation for defenses. Not much to say on quarterback Logan Thomas. The talent is tantalizing but it's hard to call him more than a project. He is still worth a look in that range. And we have to add: Chandler Catanzaro was my first-team all-rookie kicker, a great get as an undrafted free agent. Nice draft when you consider they were winning.

sea.gif

[h=3]Seattle Seahawks[/h]
(2)45WRPaul RichardsonColorado
(2)64TJustin BrittMissouri
(4)108DECassius MarshUCLA
(4)123WRKevin NorwoodAlabama
(4)132OLBKevin Pierre-LouisBoston College
(5)172DTJimmy StatenMiddle Tenn. State
(6)199TGarrett ScottMarshall
(6)208SEric PinkinsSan Diego State
(7)227RBKiero SmallArkansas

</tbody>

Summary: I've had to dramatically shift my evaluation of a Seattle draft a couple times in recent years. They've just had big hits on guys I had graded a little lower -- a mix of finding great fits and just developing players so well. (I liked the Russell Wilson pick, for the record.) As for this draft class? Well, it's hard to be impactful on a deep roster, but the group helped.
Receiver Paul Richardson was a player I liked, but I also thought he'd struggle early because he needed to get stronger. He really was mostly invisible early but came on late -- he was arguably their best receiver in December -- only to tear an ACL. Hopefully, he's back on the field next season. Justin Britt really struggled in pass protection this year, but blocked well in the run game and can say he held down right tackle all year. That's good value. Defensive end Cassius Marshand receiver Kevin Norwood got a sniff of action, and that's about it from the draft. Undrafted free agent Brock Coyle was a useful pickup and factors in here. If it doesn't seem like much, just remember where this team is at. My grades are based off my evaluations, but I'm not going to knock general manager John Schneider's. I don't know if there's anything close to a star out of this class, but they did find some needed help for another Super Bowl run.
And don't forget: That fake field goal TD pass? The player who caught it is here, too; tackle Garry Gilliam, a one-time tight end at Penn State, was also an undrafted free agent.

Tokens
All Kiper is doing is hedging. The more picks you have, the higher the grade. Don't have alot of picks and you get a D. The Browns make a splash every draft yet always suck. Lets trade up for Brady Quinn, lets trade up for Brandon Weeden, lets trade up for Manziel. And your #8 overall pick sucks and skips meetings

Tokens
If you get 3 or 4 starters out of a draft without trading up in the 1st round, that is pretty good. There are exceptions but I never understand why teams take an offensive lineman in the 7th round. Chances are he is not good enough to play on the O line and he is too fat to play on special teams. Colts have whiffed on so many lineman

Tokens
How the Browns got a B is a joke as your 2 first round picks are bust so far

Ray Farmer better watch his ass this year or else

Handicapper
Tokens
If you get 3 or 4 starters out of a draft without trading up in the 1st round, that is pretty good. There are exceptions but I never understand why teams take an offensive lineman in the 7th round. Chances are he is not good enough to play on the O line and he is too fat to play on special teams. Colts have whiffed on so many lineman

Saints draft an oline man in the 7th round in 2006 and he is still the saints starting right tackle to this day.

Also drafted 2 all pro guards in the 5th round in 06 and 08.

And our starting future pro bowl left tackle drafted last season was a 5th rounder

Handicapper
Tokens
And the saints draft in 14 was its worst ever in the Payton era by far.
If not for cooks it would have been a complete bust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb52197
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com