Mel Kiper Jr's Grade A Mock Draft: A Look At Each Teams First 3 Picks Through A GM's Eyes

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]Kiper's 'Grade: A' mock draft[/h]
Mel Kiper Jr., Football analyst

In this one, I'm the general manager ... for every team. This isn't me projecting picks, this is me making them, for three full rounds, based on what's best for each team at that slot. Thus the "A" grade. (I know, I know.)
Please read the ground rules:
1. At each slot, I make a pick in the best interest of only the team with the pick. I won't pass on a player at No. 4 just because I like the team better at No. 5.
2. No trades unless they're already done. I note team needs, and I try to address them, but like the draft, value can supersede need.
3. Again: I'm not projecting. It's more a look at where I see value up and down the board.
As with previous years', there's a team-by-team look below, as well as a pick-by-pick version so you can see how the order of the picks progressed and get an idea of who was off the board when each team selected.
Picks in order, Rounds 1-3

i
[h=2]Tampa Bay Buccaneers[/h]Top needs: QB, DE, OT, WR
Round 1 (1) QB Jameis Winston, Florida St.
Round 2 (34) OT D.J. Humphries, Florida
Round 3 (65) DE Mario Edwards, Florida St.

Analysis: There's no debate in my war room about the No. 1 pick. It's not just because I think Winston is more NFL-ready than any other QB in the draft, and thus it serves me as GM to take him and perhaps help my own job security; it's about talent, and I'm willing to bet on Winston's here. We make this pick and start planning with the goal of Winston as our Week 1 starter. I think we have the weapons to help him succeed early. We also have a clear need for a tackle, and I'm happy to see Humphries available at No. 34, though I would have taken Jake Fisher ahead of him (the Titans grabbed him at No. 33). Humphries could push to start at right tackle. Edwards isn't a great pass-rusher, but I think he's really tough to move in the run game and is a pretty good value at No. 65. My reasoning for having WR as a need is that that depth chart looks much different if either Vincent Jackson (now 32 years old) or Mike Evans is on the shelf for any period of time.<offer style="box-sizing: border-box;"></offer>

i
[h=2]Tennessee Titans[/h]Top needs: RT, WR DE, S
Round 1 (2) QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon
Round 2 (33) OT Jake Fisher, Oregon
Round 3 (66) DE Trey Flowers, Arkansas

Analysis: I'm drafting Mariota at No. 2 or gathering a huge windfall from some team moving into this slot to get him. It's one of the two. In drafting him, I'm taking a QB with a far greater upside than any player on the current roster. Zach Mettenberger has some talent, but there's a reason he was available a year ago this week at No. 178 overall. Mariota is a far superior talent at the NFL's most important position, he has the work ethic to adapt to any scheme, if we're patient, and I'm banking on my coaches to help him achieve his potential. Their jobs are on the line too. I shore up a clear need at right tackle with the addition of Fisher as the first pick in Round 2. He's a tremendous athlete, and I like his chance to start right away. I know we added Brian Orakpo in free agency, but Flowers provides some pass-rush upside because Orakpo has missed 24 games over the past three seasons. And Flowers defends the run. It's a deep draft at WR, and we'll get one in the next couple of rounds. I list safety as a (quiet) need only because Michael Griffin never gets hurt, but we're in trouble if that happens.

i
[h=2]Jacksonville Jaguars[/h]Top needs: DE, RB, CB, C
Round 1 (3) DL Leonard Williams, USC
Round 2 (36) RB Tevin Coleman, Indiana
Round 3 (67) CB P.J. Williams, Florida St.

Analysis: Slowly but surely, I'm starting to like the makeup of my defense. And getting the safest player in the draft -- a scheme-versatile defensive lineman who is an immediate force against the run and offers upside as a disruptor against the pass -- simply makes us better. No. 36 overall is a spot where I can better justify taking a RB, even for a team that could use help in other positions, simply because I feel like Coleman immediately becomes the best running back on the roster. Given that I think my roster is now in a position to win more games, I can take a play-right-away player who has shown explosiveness and durability. That's an immediate upgrade, and the opportunity cost isn't too high in Round 2. P.J. Williams is a great value in Round 3 if he can show maturity off the field. I didn't have him as a certain Round 1 pick before his recent DUI arrest, but he was easily a Round 2 option, and I think the risk is worth taking if we feel we're getting a likely starter at a key position in Round 3.

i
[h=2]Oakland Raiders[/h]Top needs: WR, DE, CB, S
Round 1 (4) WR Amari Cooper, Alabama
Round 2 (35) DE Preston Smith, Mississippi St.
Round 3 (68) LB Paul Dawson, TCU

Analysis: Adding Michael Crabtree in free agency this month doesn't really change anything here. Crabtree is a side dish, Cooper is the steak. He's the No. 1 wide receiver in the draft, and I think he'll enter camp as the most talented (and arguably the most polished) player at that position on our roster. And anybody saying Cooper is something akin to a "reliable possession receiver" for Derek Carr simply hasn't watched the tape; he's much more than that. We're pretty thin at defensive end, and Smith can help right away because, like the pick we nailed last year (Khalil Mack), Smith is outstanding against the run, where he plays with leverage and awareness. Dawson is a good value at No. 68, and I expect him to beat out Miles Burris at middle linebacker. I'd really like to find a cornerback, but when the Jags took P.J. Williams one pick ahead of us at No. 67, Dawson became the choice. We'll take some shots on the secondary on Day 3.

i
[h=2]Washington Redskins[/h]Top needs: OL, OLB, ILB, S
Round 1 (5) OLB Dante Fowler, Florida
Round 2 (38) OT Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M
Round 3 (69) G A.J. Cann, South Carolina

Analysis: If there's been one thing that defines our defense in Washington over the past couple of seasons, it's been a lack of physical play up front and a ton of bad tackling pretty much everywhere. Fowler doesn't just bring the presence of a pass-rusher -- in reality, he still has a ways to go to be really good in that area -- he also is just a relentless battler up front, is versatile and is going to help us against the run, where we were simply awful last year. Combine him with the big bodies we've added in free agency and there's reason for optimism. Maybe we don't have certainty at the QB position, but adding Ogbuehi (a first-round talent available in Round 2 because of a knee injury) and Cann will help up front. In rebuilding this roster, my focus is on the trenches, and I think free agency and these picks start the process of improvement.

i
[h=2]New York Jets[/h]Top needs: QB, OLB, OL, RB
Round 1 (6) WR Kevin White, West Virginia
Round 2 (37) OLB Eli Harold, Virginia
Round 3 (70) QB Garrett Grayson, Colorado St.

Analysis: Yes, it would be nice to have Marcus Mariota fall to us at No. 6. But we're not going to pay a huge bounty like Washington did to move up for Robert Griffin III when I'm not convinced Mariota is a starter for us in 2015. I just think it's too much of a long-term setback, and I feel like even adequate play from either Ryan Fitzpatrick or Geno Smith makes us pretty competitive in 2015 because I think the defense can be special. So in adding White, I'm getting a weapon I can pair with Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Jace Amaro in the passing game. On paper, I now have a balanced and dangerous receiving corps. In Round 2, I'm getting Harold as a shot-out-of-a-cannon pass-rusher to complement the power components across my defensive line. Calvin Pace is 34, and Harold can make some plays in a limited role this coming season. In Round 3, I'm taking a shot on a good developmental QB. Grayson won't play early, but we don't have to rush him.

i
[h=2]Chicago Bears[/h]Top needs: WR, DL, OLB, S
Round 1 (7) WR Breshad Perriman, Central Florida
Round 2 (39) DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA
Round 3 (71) DL Henry Anderson, Stanford

Analysis: There's some temptation to take Shane Ray at No. 7, as we definitely need to add help on the defensive line and provide some pass-rushing depth, but I'm worried that if I pass on Perriman, by the time we pick again at No. 39 there will be nine or 10 WRs off the board. I just think the need is great enough that we bet on Perriman's skill set as a playmaker with great size and exceptional top-end speed. He has the tools to be a very good pass-catcher, though he will need to be more consistent and limit drops. Still, the sub-4.3 speed and big frame give us plenty to work with. Odighizuwa isn't a great pass-rusher, but he's very good against the run and is going to help us set the edge. Anderson might be one of the more underrated players in the draft, as he's just a physical bully in the run game and never takes plays off. With these picks, we're more explosive on offense and more physical up front on defense. I'd like to add a safety and a cornerback, but I liked the value on these players up front.

i
[h=2]Atlanta Falcons[/h]Top needs: OLB, OL, TE, RB
Round 1 (8) OLB Shane Ray, Missouri
Round 2 (42) G Laken Tomlinson, Duke
Round 3 (73) WR Justin Hardy, East Carolina

Analysis: Ray gives us the Leo we're looking for to help what was an anemic pass rush last season. I think he's going to have real growing pains as he takes on better tackles, but I think he's a better fit for us than Vic Beasley, the other player I considered at No. 8. We simply have to find a pass rush, and Ray is the kind of player I think Dan Quinn would have used optimally in Seattle. Tomlinson is maybe a slight reach for us on the value scale in Round 2, but I'm pretty confident he comes in and starts for us right away at left guard, so I'm not losing sleep there. We have to get a guard, and banking on his experience and plug-and-play potential makes sense. In a fantasy sense, you probably think our depth chart at wide receiver is fine, but Roddy White will be 34 this season andJulio Jones has never started 16 games. Hardy provides immediate depth, and I love his willingness to throw a block.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=2]New York Giants[/h]Top needs: OL, DE, S, TE
Round 1 (9) OT Brandon Scherff, Iowa
Round 2 (40) S Eric Rowe, Utah
Round 3 (74) S/LB Shaq Thompson, Washington

Analysis: I'm still in the camp that says Scherff can be a tackle. I'm also in the camp that says he's going to be a monster in the run game if we start him at guard out of the gate -- and for my offense, which averaged 3.6 yards per carry last season, that sounds pretty good. I think it's the safe call to make at No. 9 because not only do I need the immediate impact, I could have seen the Jets or Falcons grabbing him before us, so I'm happy he's around. I use the next two picks to attack pretty clear personnel voids on defense. Rowe is one of the more underrated players in the draft for me, and we have nothing at free safety on the roster right now. When you factor in need, I can stomach what might look like a slight reach. I also think Thompson can excel as a weakside linebacker in our scheme. He's not going to be ready in Week 1, but he has Round 1 football instincts and simply needs the reps.

i
[h=2]St. Louis Rams[/h]Top needs: OL, WR, CB, QB
Round 1 (10) WR DeVante Parker, Louisville
Round 2 (41) OT T.J. Clemmings, Pitt
Round 3 (72) CB D'Joun Smith, Florida Atlantic

Analysis: I'm simply not content to go into a pivotal season with Kenny Brittand Tavon Austin as the top two options at wide receiver. I've seen Parker dinged on production before, but Louisville really spread the ball around whenTeddy Bridgewater was there, and he missed the first half of the season last year with a broken foot. He gives us a downfield threat who offers up a big catch radius and the ability to make plays with the ball in his hands. Clemmings is a high-upside play I'm surprised is still on the board at No. 41. I think he'll have growing pains as a pass protector, but given the need we still have, starting at right tackle, it doesn't seem wise to pass on his talent at this point. We hit a home run in last year's draft with E.J. Gaines, and I'm hoping Smith comes in, provides immediate depth and eventually starts the way Gaines did. This is going to be a great secondary for playmakers given the state of our defensive line. Quarterbacks will be under duress.

i
[h=2]Minnesota Vikings[/h]Top needs: CB, LB, WR, RB
Round 1 (11) CB Trae Waynes, Michigan St.
Round 2 (45) WR Dorial Green-Beckham, Missouri
Round 3 (76) RB Jay Ajayi, Boise St.

Analysis: The Rams' taking Parker at No. 10 shifted our attention to cornerback. This draft is flush with talent at wide receiver, so I'd rather take the top cornerback on my board than the No. 5 WR at No. 11 overall. Waynes is like any CB in that he's going to have growing pains, particularly in dealing with outstanding route runners who change direction without any wasted motion, but he has good length and can cover down the field, two things I put a premium on given the QBs and WRs I have to face six times a year in the NFC North. In Round 2, I'm taking what I consider an educated bet on a big-time talent with Green-Beckham. Teddy Bridgewater gains a big-time red zone target in the 6-foot-5 athlete with a frame reminiscent of Calvin Johnson, but we're really going to need to coach DGB up when it comes to route running, where he's as raw as any WR in the draft. I still have some uncertainty at RB given the offseason we've had with Adrian Peterson, so I'm grabbing some insurance with Ajayi.

i
[h=2]Cleveland Browns[/h]Top needs: QB, WR, OL, DT
Round 1 (12) DT Danny Shelton, Washington
Round 1 (19) RB Todd Gurley, Georgia
Round 2 (43) WR Devin Smith, Ohio St.
Round 3 (77) QB Brett Hundley, UCLA

Analysis: I know we have other needs, but with four wide receivers already off the board, I'm racing to take Shelton at No. 12 overall. We got gashed by the run too often last year, and in Shelton I'm getting a 340-pound gap-eater who will create some penetration from time to time. Our defensive line immediately improves with his presence. I know No. 19 is the controversial pick. After all, I'm the guy who says I don't want to take a running back in Round 1. Well, two things here: For one, this is a bit of a luxury pick given it's the second year in a row we stole a first-rounder from an overeager team. Second, I have Gurley rated as one the 10 best players in the entire draft. So knowing that -- and that we have some other young RBs who will allow us to bring Gurley along at a slower pace -- I feel comfortable breaking an old Kiper rule. At least this time. The draft is stocked at WR, so I grab a Round 1-caliber talent in Round 2 with Smith, and then I take a flier on Hundley in Round 3. Hundley is a kid with all the physical tools, as well as an above-average NFL arm, but he's just not ready to start as a rookie. Given the QB situation I'm inheriting as GM, the added competition won't hurt.

i
[h=2]New Orleans Saints[/h]Top needs: OLB, WR, G, CB
Round 1 (13) OLB Randy Gregory, Nebraska
Round 1 (31) WR Phillip Dorsett, Miami (FL)
Round 2 (44) G Tre Jackson, Florida St.
Round 3 (75) CB Senquez Golson, Ole Miss
Round 3 (78) OT Daryl Williams, Oklahoma

Analysis: Gregory might not find New Orleans entertaining, but I'm not drafting him to be a restaurant critic. In his rookie year, I want to cut him loose situationally as a pass-rusher and help us in an area in which we took a step backward last season. Gregory carries some risk because of off-field issues (he failed a test for marijuana at the NFL combine), but as a talent it's hard to do much better at a position of need at No. 13. I'm going to bet my coaching staff can make it work because I just don't see another pass-rusher worth taking right there. Dorsett adds big-time explosiveness in the passing game, a unit that is down Jimmy Graham and Kenny Stills. He'll get compared to Brandin Cooks (not a bad thing), but he's even more explosive as a field-stretcher. We have a clear need at guard, and Jackson is fair value in Round 2. I like Golson in Round 3 as a player who can come in and provide immediate help in the slot. He is fearless and will make plays on the ball. In Williams we're getting a tackle who could either stay there (likelier on the right side) or be moved inside to guard. Plenty of needs addressed here.

i
[h=2]Miami Dolphins[/h]Top needs: WR, G, CB, LB
Round 1 (14) WR Nelson Agholor, USC
Round 2 (47) CB/S Quinten Rollins, Miami (Ohio)

Analysis: Even with the addition of Kenny Stills, we still lack the type of player who can occasionally take the top off a defense anywhere on the receiving depth chart, because Still isn't that guy and, as much as I love Jarvis Landry as a pass-catcher, he's just not that type of player. We simply need that element in the passing game, and I don't see Agholor as a reach at this point. He gets a little crowded out by some bigger names at WR in this class, but he's underrated and should be able to play right away. If San Francisco doesn't take Benardrick McKinney one slot ahead of us at No. 46 overall, he would have been my pick. Split between another linebacker option and a high-upside play at cornerback (or safety), I'm going to take Rollins, who made a remarkably seamless transition to football after playing four years of college basketball. There's star potential here, and I think he could help at either corner or safety.

i
[h=2]San Francisco 49ers[/h]Top needs: ILB, DE, CB, G
Round 1 (15) DE Arik Armstead, Oregon
Round 2 (46) LB Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi St.
Round 3 (79) WR Stefon Diggs, Maryland

Analysis: At this point, I'm not banking on the return of Justin Smith, and while we added Darnell Dockett, he's going to be 34 in May and is coming off a season lost to injury. Armstead is a player with star potential if we can develop him, and I think he represents good value in the middle of Round 1. (It wouldn't shock me at all if he came off the board inside the top 10.) The retirements of Patrick Willis and Chris Borland open up a void at inside linebacker, and while McKinney is limited in coverage, in our system I think we can do a decent job of limiting exposure and letting him do what he does best, which is tackle. He's a true thumper who will make hay against the run. While Armstead needs some seasoning, I think McKinney is ready to play right away. Diggs adds some explosiveness in the passing game and offers some depth behind Torrey Smithand Anquan Boldin. At this point, we don't know what we have in Quinton Patton and Bruce Ellington, but it makes sense to add some competition. We also have a need at guard, but there are some good interior lineman who will be available with our next pick.

i
[h=2]Houston Texans[/h]Top needs: WR, ILB, OLB, QB
Round 1 (16) OLB Vic Beasley, Clemson
Round 2 (51) LB Denzel Perryman, Miami (FL)
Round 3 (82) CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon

Analysis: We have clear needs at both inside linebacker and on the edge, whereBrooks Reed's departure doesn't help, even if I didn't want to open the checkbook too wide to keep him around. It wasn't hard to run to the podium for Beasley at No. 16 overall, as the productivity (44.5 TFL over the past two seasons) is in line with his superb athlete credentials. If I'm Rick Smith, the idea of J.J. Watt on the shelf for any time gives me the cold sweats, so I'm looking to limit any drop-off in pass-rush productivity if he were ever sidelined, all while we wait on the recovery process for Jadeveon Clowney. Perryman is a plug-and-play option next to Brian Cushing as I Iook at the depth chart today, so I'm pretty happy with that value midway through Round 2. I'd like to get a WR at some point, but at No. 82 overall Ekpre-Olomu is a value I just can't pass on. If you went on his junior tape, you'd think he's safely a first-round pick -- a knee injury makes him available here. Between him and William & Mary WR Tre McBride, I go with the potential steal.

i
[h=2]San Diego Chargers[/h]Top needs: DL, WR, RB, OLB
Round 1 (17) DT Malcom Brown, Texas
Round 2 (48) WR Devin Funchess, Michigan
Round 3 (83) RB Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska

Analysis: As I'm drafting, Philip Rivers is still my QB and I'm intent on improving the 2015 team, which is certainly in win-now mode. While I do consider the pass rush a need, when Beasley went off the board at No. 16, we lost a chance to really maximize value at that slot, so I'm going with one of the top DTs in the draft in Brown, as he hits a clear need as a guy who handle two gaps and help us get better in the run game. I don't expect it from him as a rookie, but Brown could become a three-down DT. I wouldn't have been at all surprised to see Funchess come off the board in Round 1, so getting him at No. 48 overall feels like a steal. Malcom Floyd is almost 34 and Antonio Gates turns 35 this summer, so getting another size option in the passing game for Rivers is a priority some are probably overlooking. I like Branden Oliver and Danny Woodhead at RB, but neither of those guys is at Abdullah's level, and I think he can give us some yards in the run game we didn't get last season. If he improves ball security, he'll get his share of carries right out of the gate. I'd like another pass-rusher, but the way the board broke, I can't complain with these three picks.

i
[h=2]Kansas City Chiefs[/h]Top needs: WR, ILB, S, DE
Round 1 (18) WR Jaelen Strong, Arizona St.
Round 2 (49) LB Stephone Anthony, Clemson
Round 3 (80) S Damarious Randall, Arizona St.
Round 3 (98) DT Gabe Wright, Auburn

Analysis: While Strong is now the sixth WR off the board at pick No. 18, I still think I'm getting a player worthy of the draft slot, and, more important, he brings a skill set that's nonexistent on the current roster. Strong brings needed size and an ability to make some plays on contested passes, and he's faster than people think. My current WR corps is basically Jeremy Maclin and a bunch of question marks -- De'Anthony Thomas is still a hybrid in my book -- so Strong can come in with the chance to compete for a starting role. Anthony is the No. 2 inside linebacker on my draft board, so getting him to line up next to Derrick Johnson is a good get at No. 49, especially since I thought Miami might take him at No. 47. Anthony is a very good tackler who holds up pretty well in coverage. Randall is the No. 3 safety available, and we're not anything resembling deep there, so he's another guy I'm taking with the belief he could win a starting job out of camp (for a defense I expect to be pretty good). Wright is a college DT who I'll plug in as a 3-4 DE. He's a good player against the run, but he flashes some burst and can get into the backfield. He'll be able to help a rotation that's pretty lean around Dontari Poe.

i
[h=2]Buffalo Bills[/h]Top needs: QB, G, ILB, S
Round 2 (50) QB Bryce Petty, Baylor
Round 3 (81) G Ali Marpet, Hobart

Analysis: This is one I really struggled with. On one hand, I don't think Petty is ready to start NFL games in his first season. On the other hand, a couple of the biggest needs I have (guard, inside linebacker) are at positions at which you can find starters into Day 3. When Stephone Anthony went off the board at No. 49, I decided to roll the dice on Petty and add a developmental piece to a roster that is, outside of that giant question mark at QB, in decent shape. I do have a clear need at guard, but again, you'll get starters there later in the draft, and I think I have one in Marpet, who played his college ball at Hobart. Regardless of who is taking the snaps under center (presumably Matt Cassel to start the season), we need to get better up front, and I like Marpet's potential to help there. Remember, the Round 1 pick became property of the Browns, so we could move up and grab Sammy Watkins in the 2014 draft. Also remember we now havePercy Harvin as well, a player who was added for a Round 1 pick himself at about this time in 2013.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=2]Philadelphia Eagles[/h][h=2]Top needs: S, G, CB, WR
Round 1 (20) S Landon Collins, Alabama
Round 2 (52) WR Tyler Lockett, Kansas St.
Round 3 (84) G Ty Sambrailo, Colorado St.

Analysis: You're going to get mixed reviews on Collins, but there won't be much debate about whether he's the top safety in the draft. The concern will be that he's not as good when he's in coverage away from the line of scrimmage, but if you're looking for a safety who can essentially act as an extra linebacker when you need one, Collins is a great get at this point on the board. He'll be able to line up on tight ends and in the slot, tackles extremely well for the position and is ready to help a defense right now. You just can't expect him to chase burners around 30 yards downfield, and he has only so-so hands for the position. Still, I'm taking him thinking my defense just got better. Lockett is one of the more underrated WRs in the draft. While he's not a big target, he's an outstanding route runner who always gets open and is fearless when it comes to blocking. I think my head coach will like him. Sambrailo is an athletic offensive lineman who has a chance to be useful in this offense for that reason. I'm not certain he'll become a good starter, but he's worth a bet at No. 84.

i
[/h][h=2]Cincinnati Bengals[/h][h=2]Top needs: DE, LB, OT, WR/TE
Round 1 (21) DE Bud Dupree, Kentucky
Round 2 (53) OT Donovan Smith, Penn St.
Round 3 (85) WR Tre McBride, William & Mary
Round 3 (99) TE Jeff Heuerman, Ohio St.

Analysis: I'm committed to adding a pass-rusher, and Dupree isn't exactly a steal at No. 21, but I figured it was only a 50-50 shot that he'd get to this point, so it's not a difficult call given how bad the pass rush was last season. He doesn't come in with an arsenal of moves, but he's an exceptional athlete and certainly adds upside where we're currently lacking it. Smith started over 30 games at left tackle for Penn State, but I have him pegged to compete for a starting guard spot. In Rounds 3 and 4, I'm trying to add some new elements to the passing game. McBride was a big-time playmaker at his level and is a speedster in workouts, though I don't think he's an immediate-impact guy. But when we had some injuries last season, the depth chart at WR became a problem. Heuerman is one of the few tight ends in this entire draft who combines good athleticism with the ability to actually block. He has the ability of a player who could come off the board much earlier, so I like the bet on his potential at No. 99.

i
[/h][h=2]Pittsburgh Steelers[/h][h=2]Top needs: CB, S, OLB, TE
Round 1 (22) CB Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest
Round 2 (56) OLB Hau'oli Kikaha
Round 3 (87) S Derron Smith, Fresno St.

Analysis: Given the veteran losses we've seen on the defensive side of the ball this offseason, that's where my focus is. Johnson can cover and could be in line for a ton of snaps as a rookie. James Harrison will be 37 in May, and we need to add pass-rushing depth. Kikaha was wildly productive in 2014, though he's still on the board at No. 56 because he didn't test well. He's not going to come in and play every down, but we're simply not in good shape at outside linebacker in my assessment, and the best option available in either Round 1 or 2 was a certainty coming in. Smith's reputation outpaces his tape, but if you told me last year he'd be available at No. 87 in 2015, it would have surprised me. I know this team is going to be able to put points on the board in 2015, so the early rounds are all about making the defense better in any way I can.

i
[/h][h=2]Detroit Lions[/h][h=2]Top needs: OL, DT, CB, RB
Round 1 (23) OT La'El Collins, LSU
Round 2 (54) DT Jordan Phillips, Oklahoma
Round 3 (88) RB Duke Johnson, Miami (FL)

Analysis: My strategy at No. 23 was to take either the best offensive lineman or best defensive tackle available based on my draft board, unless I got blown away by value at another position. In this case, I had Collins available as the No. 22 player on my Big Board, and Eddie Goldman available as the No. 23 player. So I'm sticking to the board and taking Collins, whom I'll plug in immediately at left guard and improve an offensive line that took a step back in 2014. I do think Collins has the ability to play tackle (certainly right tackle) as he gets seasoning, and my tackles are merely adequate, but for now I have a position for him. Phillips is a special athlete but is only available at No. 54 overall because he's had back issues and has a motor that notoriously runs hot and cold. But he's a good get at this point, and we all know we need to add depth at defensive tackle, where Ndamukong Suh's 900-plus snaps a season are now gone. Johnson is a good fit here, as a complement to Joique Bell and perhaps the most natural pass-catcher out of the backfield in the entire draft.

i
[/h][h=2]Arizona Cardinals[/h][h=2]Top needs: RB, OLB, C, CB
Round 1 (24) RB Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin
Round 2 (55) LB Eric Kendricks, UCLA
Round 3 (86) OLB Nate Orchard, Utah

Analysis: Again! Yes, I'm being hypocritical in my usual stance on taking a running back in Round 1 -- that usual stance being, "Don't take one" -- but I think Gordon makes some sense for us here. He's an immediate impact player at a major position of need, and given the state of the roster, we're in a position to fill needs with the goal of competing for a championship if we can stay healthy at QB. So if this were a lesser team, I don't think Gordon is a reasonable pick, but the Cardinals are looking at things through a different prism. In Round 2, I add an inside linebacker who can cover. Anybody who saw the way Larry Foote was occasionally targeted (and beaten) last year in the passing game understands this pick. And in Orchard I'm getting depth in the pass rush from a player who has shown the ability to get to the QB in college, even if he's not a workout stud. He was able to beat tackles inside and outside last season and improves our depth chart. Gordon becomes one of the favorites for offensive rookie of the year, and hopefully the defense gets one immediate starter and some useful depth.

i
[/h][h=2]Carolina Panthers[/h][h=2]Top needs: OT, WR, CB, S
Round 1 (25) OT Andrus Peat, Stanford
Round 2 (57) WR Sammie Coates, Auburn
Round 3 (89) S James Sample, Louisville

Analysis: Tackle was the No. 1 priority. I know we've made some offseason moves to at least attempt to shore up what was a devastating weakness last year, but I came into this pretty much resigned to targeting the best pass-blocking tackle available. We could do a lot worse than Peat, who will need to continue to make strides, but at least has the upside of a true NFL left tackle, with a great frame and a wide base, as well as the ability to process information and make adjustments. He's also really good as a run-blocker. Coates is a bit of a wild card, an extraordinary athlete who can run past defenders and will make some contested catches, but he'll also drop some easy ones and drive coaches crazy. That said, we took a shot on Kelvin Benjamin last year in Round 1, and while we certainly suffered through some issues in route running and concentration with bringing the ball in, we also got some big plays. Coates brings talent, but no promises. That said, our depth chart at wide receiver demands we take a shot. Sample gives us a player who can compete for a starting role at safety, where we're merely OK. This draft is, again, about helping Cam Newton first.

i
[/h][h=2]Baltimore Ravens[/h][h=2]Top needs: CB, TE, WR, DL
Round 1 (26) CB Marcus Peters, Washington
Round 2 (58) TE Maxx Williams, Minnesota
Round 3 (90) WR Dezmin Lewis, Central Arkansas

Analysis: The secondary was obviously the downfall of the team last year. Injuries were the culprit, so even if we assume perfect health coming out of camp, there's no reason we shouldn't be looking to get deeper there with one of our first couple of picks. Peters at No. 26 feels like a steal based on the talent, and I trust that John Harbaugh is a coach who can get the most out of him. He was kicked off the team at Washington last year, though you don't hear "bad kid" when you talk to scouts. Williams has the tape of a Round 1 guy, and we definitely have the need at tight end (though he'll line up off the line for the most part). His issue was his workouts were pretty average, and I see him more as a reliable target than a weapon. That's the difference in a round at that position. Lewis isn't a name, but he is definitely a guy with the upside of a good NFL starter. He brings a 6-foot-4 frame and 4.4 speed to a depth chart on which Steve Smith and Marlon Brown are the top two options at wide receiver. Lewis is obviously facing a huge jump in competition, but he has a chance to outperform this draft slot given the physical ability.

i
[/h][h=2]Dallas Cowboys[/h][h=2]Top needs: CB, RB, DT, S
Round 1 (27) CB Byron Jones, UConn
Round 2 (60) DT Michael Bennett, Ohio St.
Round 3 (91) RB Jeremy Langford, Michigan St.

Analysis: There's already a need at cornerback -- you can't have enough if you expect to play with some leads -- and that's before we have a resolution onBrandon Carr's contract situation. Jones is one of the biggest sleepers in the draft, a cornerback with the ability to handle safety, an extraordinary athlete with very good instincts. He's also a great kid. While I want to address the defensive line, I just don't want to pass on Jones at this point. In Round 2, we get Bennett, a player with the ability to beat blockers inside and be a disruptor, and I really like the value at that point. I think Bennett has been surpassed by high-upside defensive tackles, but few players have as much quality tape as he has going back through his sophomore and junior seasons. The Cowboys have a need at running back, but what they don't need to do is spend early on a running back because it's going to be hard for a competent runner not to succeed behind the Dallas offensive line. Langford is sneaky-explosive (he's played WR and CB) and has sub-4.4 speed. While he's not a bruiser, you do need to square him up, and I think in Dallas he'll see creases and be able to break off some big runs.

i
[/h][h=2]Denver Broncos[/h][h=2]Top needs: OL, ILB, DL, TE
Round 1 (28) C Cameron Erving, Florida St.
Round 2 (59) DT Carl Davis, Iowa
Round 3 (92) LB Lorenzo Mauldin, Louisville

Analysis: The top need I have for the Broncos is on the interior of the offensive line, and while I've had Erving here to Denver in traditional mock drafts in which I'm projecting picks, he also lands here when it's me making the pick, because he really is a nice marriage of solid board value matching up with a top need. He was dominant when he made the move from left tackle to center midway through his senior season, and while he can play guard if needed, I do think he has the physical ability and instincts to be one of the NFL's best centers. In Round 2, I'm adding a stout defender on the inside for a defense now without Terrance Knighton. While Davis' tape doesn't show the explosiveness and ability to penetrate that he showed at the Senior Bowl, he can hold the point and can give me 500-plus snaps as a rookie, which is needed. Mauldin also has the ability to step in right away at linebacker. I don't think he'll make waves as a pass-rusher early in his career, but he can be used there situationally and isn't shy against the run, so I'd be surprised if he's not pushing for a starting role as early as his rookie season.

i
[/h][h=2]Indianapolis Colts[/h][h=2]Top needs: OL, DL, CB, S
Round 1 (29) OT Ereck Flowers, Miami (FL)
Round 2 (61) DE Danielle Hunter, LSU
Round 3 (93) CB Josh Shaw, USC

Analysis: I know the offensive line made strides last year, but for me the difference between five to six wins and 12 wins is No. 12, and if you look at the overall talent profile of the offensive line year and conclude, "Yeah, we're good," I think you're being optimistic. I'm adding talent. Flowers has the upside of a starting left tackle, and he has a chance to push Gosder Cherilus out of the starting role at right tackle right away. For me, the focus on the offensive line isn't just about protection, but about taking pressure off Andrew Luck andfinding consistency in the run game. Hunter was more productive than his numbers indicated last season, as he had a number of pressures that didn't result in a sack. At 6-5 and 250-plus pounds with a sub-4.6 time, he has the frame and quickness, he just needs molding. Our top two pass-rushers going into the season are 34 (Robert Mathis) and 32 (Trent Cole), so it's worth adding some youth in that area. Shaw has a ton of ability but comes with some character concerns after the bizarre incident at USC that kept him off the field for most of 2014. Still, if he's staying in line, he's a potential steal this far down the board, and I'd take the risk.

i
[/h][h=2]Green Bay Packers[/h][h=2]Top needs: ILB, DL, CB, TE
Round 1 (30) CB Jalen Collins, LSU
Round 2 (62) TE Clive Walford, Miami (FL)
Round 3 (94) DT Xavier Cooper, Washington St.

Analysis: The starting situation at cornerback could be worse, but we're razor thin on depth and we need to take a cornerback with one of the first two picks. The way the board sets up, I think Collins is the best combination of player and need late in Round 1. The possibility of Walford that far down the board in Round 2 was simply too much player to pass up. He's got the length, athleticism and big hands to be a weapon in the intermediate passing game, and he's an underrated athlete at 6-4 and over 250 pounds (he ran sub-4.8 and had a 35-inch vertical). Walford can also help out as a blocker even if he's not dominant in that area. Cooper has been a riser during the draft process, and I think he can fit well into this scheme and create some penetration, because while he doesn't offer much length, he has the quickness to beat blocks and get into the backfield. I still think we can add help at inside linebacker in the next round, so I'm not going to pass on Cooper's potential to help early on in another need area.

i
[/h][h=2]Seattle Seahawks[/h][h=2]Top needs: WR, CB, C/G, DE
Round 2 (63) CB Ronald Darby, Florida St.
Round 3 (96) C Hroniss Grasu, Oregon

Analysis: I still consider wide receiver a need, particularly with Paul Richardson out to start the season, but we did add a pass-catching weapon with the addition of Jimmy Graham in the trade of the offseason. Graham has 89, 85, 86 and 85 receptions over the past four seasons, respectively. This isn't Mark Bavaro -- Graham is face of the new-school, size-plus-speed matchup threat who should not only be a constant target, but open up the passing game elsewhere. So while I still want to target a wide receiver later on, I'm jumping at a talent like Darby in Round 2. We finished the Super Bowl with virtually every player in the Legion of Boom either playing hurt or out, and I want to add some depth to the strength of our team and, with Pete Carroll in mind, the strength of our coaching staff. Darby is raw, but the tape shows QBs were extremely wary of targeting him. He could be a steal. There's an obvious need on the interior of the offensive line, and I think Grasu has a chance to start at center early on. With Graham and these two in hand through three rounds, I feel pretty good.

i
[/h][h=2]New England Patriots[/h][h=2]Top needs: DL, WR, CB, RB
Round 1 (32) DT Eddie Goldman, Florida St.
Round 2 (64) WR Chris Conley, Georgia
Round 3 (96) RB David Johnson, Northern Iowa
Round 3 (97) CB Alex Carter, Stanford

Analysis: I think the needs are pretty clear. We need to add a big body on the interior of the defensive line -- we can't "replace" Vince Wilfork, but we better not pretend he wasn't a crucial component to our success. We need to add a versatile body in the secondary. And I want to add another pass-catcher, as well as upside in the run game. Goldman isn't going to be chasing QBs around, but he does have some ability to hold gaps, and I think he can deepen the rotation up front. He's also a player who I believe is still scratching the surface and can reach another level. Conley's combine times are better than the tape, but at No. 64 overall, he's a reasonable bet on upside, and he's been more productive than people who just gawk at the 40 time realize. Johnson is a versatile back with good size and the ability to turn a short catch into big yardage, and Carter is a versatile cornerback who might end up better at safety, but I trust this coaching staff to maximize his strengths. When you're drafting at 32, you don't expect immediate impact, but this group can help keep the title window wide-open.
[/h]

Tokens
Fowler at 5 and Perriman at 7 are both pretty terrible. Alvin Dupree at 21 would be a steal.

Tokens
The Colts nee to get a #2 wr this draft. Very deep at that position. In the NFL, you need a qb ( got it), you need wr's (have 1 long term), you need a pass rushing DE (don't have), need a corner(don't have), need to protect qb ( dont have)

And they pay these millionaire GM's for this?? This isn't hard. And for God sakes, fade any pick Skip Bayless wants. Has he ever seen a black qb he thought would not be great?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billcunninghamhomeloans
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com