2015 NFL Draft Grades

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]Mel Kiper's 2015 NFL Draft Grades[/h]Mel Kiper Jr., Football analyst

As I say every year, the draft is about adding talent, but winning is about talent development. I know I can't grade a draft class on performance for at least a few years, which is a reason I audit old drafts. What I do here is assess three main things:
• How much overall talent did a team add, based on board position?
• How effectively did they address key personnel voids?
• How efficient were they in maneuvering on the draft board?
Remember: I have to use my player grades as the prism. I'm well aware all NFL teams see players differently -- I debate with those evaluators all year. Disagreements are just the reality of this process, and I'm sure they have some grades on me.
Grading scale: In my mind an A means it's exceptional; a B is pretty good; a Cis average, with hits and questions marks; a D means below average with some big questions. An F ... well, keep reading.
i
[h=2]Seattle Seahawks: A-[/h]Top needs: WR, CB, C/G, DE
Let's start with this question: Will there be any rookie in the NFL next year who figures to be better than Jimmy Graham? In a health vacuum, I'd say no. And remember, Graham is truly the centerpiece of this draft, as he came over for the price of the 31st pick and Max Unger. Every guy drafted this week has the hope of being a star; Jimmy Graham IS a star. That's a good grade on its own. I have to trust Seattle has vetted Frank Clark's off-field problems and feels comfortable bringing him in. Assuming he's OK there, the value is pretty fair, and they could use the pass-rushing help. The pick of Tyler Lockett (they moved up for him) is one of my favorites in the entire draft. The guy is just always open, and anybody who watched the Super Bowl knows how much the Seahawks need pass-catchers who can create some separation. This is your guy. From there, you see some decent bets on offensive line help, which we know is an obvious need area. Overall, the combination of adding Graham and Lockett, plus the attempt to improve things with some new competitors to win jobs along the offensive line makes this draft a pretty good one for the Seahawks, who seem to always have a developmental plan for their picks. We often have players graded differently, but they know how to coach them up.
<aside class="inline inline-table" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px; clear: both; margin: 6px 0px 18px; width: 570px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 16px; padding: 0px !important;">
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
2/63Frank ClarkDEMichigan
3/69Tyler LockettWRKansas St
4/130Terry PooleOTSan Diego St
4/134Mark GlowinskiGWest Virginia
5/170Tye SmithCBTowson
6/209Obum GwachamDEOregon St
6/214Kristjan SokoliDEBuffalo
7/248Ryan Smith-MurphySOregon St

<thead style="box-sizing: border-box; border-width: 1px 0px 1px 1px; border-top-color: rgb(221, 221, 221); border-bottom-color: rgb(221, 221, 221); border-left-color: rgb(221, 221, 221); border-top-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: BentonSansMedium, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10px; line-height: 10px; margin: 0px; padding: 6px 12px; text-transform: uppercase; background: rgb(242, 242, 242);">
</thead><tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">
</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Pittsburgh Steelers: A-[/h]Top needs: CB, S, OLB, TE
<offer style="box-sizing: border-box;"></offer>
The Steelers had a really good draft. I think they needed help at every level of their defense, and they not only added a pass-rusher, but they also went hard after secondary talent, which was needed because of how depleted they were in that area. Bud Dupree felt like a steal at No. 22 overall. Given the off-field issues that affected the pass-rushing group, to have him available at that point was a surprise to me. I thought he could have gone as high as No. 8 overall.Senquez Golson is one of my favorite players in the draft, an INT machine at Ole Miss who plays bigger than his size and has the hands I wish more wide receivers had. Elsewhere in the secondary, the Steelers added a steady college performer in Doran Grant out of Ohio State, and then the nation's leader in INTs last year, Gerod Holliman. You think they wanted to find answers in the secondary? Yep, those guys will be green, but at least the depth chart looks better. The fun one to watch will be Sammie Coates, not only because every wide receiver the Steelers take in this range seems to turn into Superman, but also because he truly is one of the physical freaks in this draft. If he can catch it better and add some refinement, you never know what can happen. They looked for some D-line help late (like I said, needs at every level) with L.T. Walton andAnthony Chickillo. Good week for the Steelers.
<aside class="inline inline-table" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px; clear: both; margin: 6px 0px 18px; width: 570px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 16px; padding: 0px !important;">
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/22Bud DupreeOLBKentucky
2/56Senquez GolsonCBOle Miss
3/87Sammie CoatesWRAuburn
4/121Doran GrantCBOhio State
5/160Jesse JamesTEPenn State
6/199Leterrius WaltonDTCentral Michigan
6/212Anthony ChickilloDEMiami (FL)
7/239Gerod HollimanSLouisville

<thead style="box-sizing: border-box; border-width: 1px 0px 1px 1px; border-top-color: rgb(221, 221, 221); border-bottom-color: rgb(221, 221, 221); border-left-color: rgb(221, 221, 221); border-top-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: BentonSansMedium, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10px; line-height: 10px; margin: 0px; padding: 6px 12px; text-transform: uppercase; background: rgb(242, 242, 242);">
</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Baltimore Ravens: A-[/h]Top needs: CB, TE, WR, DL
The guys will rib me as a Baltimore homer, but I call them as I see them, and I know McShay, Polian, Riddick and the rest like this draft too. They Ravens needed new weapons in the passing game at both wide receiver and tight end, and they got them. Breshad Perriman could have been off the board by No. 14, and I wouldn't have blinked. To get a big (218 pounds), fast (sub-4.3 speed) big-play threat such as this at No. 26 is a great get. You bet Perriman needs to be more consistent with his hands, but there's some Dez Bryant to his game. Maxx Williams was a player the Ravens coveted, and to get him at No. 55 overall was good value. Both he and Perriman could be impact players from the rookie class, which is rare on a good team. Carl Davis provides needed rotation depth on the D-line and again looks like good value -- he was my No. 34 player on the Big Board, and Baltimore got him at No. 90. Za'Darius Smith can rush the passer, and Tray Walker is an interesting, 6-foot-2 CB prospect who could emerge with seasoning. Buck Allen provides needed RB depth, and Nick Boyle is a tight end who can stick because he'll actually block people, which isn't that common anymore at tight end. If there's a big question mark, it's whether the secondary got enough help a year after it was the downfall of the team. The Ravens will count on health in that department, it's clear.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/26Breshad PerrimanWRUCF
2/55Maxx WilliamsTEMinnesota
3/90Carl DavisDTIowa
4/122Za'Darius SmithDEKentucky
4/125Buck AllenRBUSC
4/136Tray WalkerCBTexas Southern
5/171Nick BoyleTEDelaware
5/176Robert MyersGTennessee St
6/204Darren WallerWRGeorgia Tech

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Washington Redskins: A-[/h]Top needs: OL, OLB, ILB, S
I don't think there was a softer team in the NFL the past season than the Redskins, especially on defense, where they simply didn't tackle. If there was a clear trend with this draft, it was a new GM drafting for toughness and attitude. Washington got a lot tougher on both sides of the ball in the first two rounds. I know there are questions about whether Brandon Scherff can stay at tackle in the NFL (he was a LT at Iowa), but even if he's a guard, while the pick value loses a little, the guy is a true mauler, a player who makes the run game better the second he steps on the field. Whether it's right tackle (makes sense) or guard, Scherff is a starter now. Preston Smith could have come off the board in Round 1, so to get him in Round 2 was minor coup. That's a clear need at OLB, and he can move around too. Matt Jones was a bit rich for me in terms of value, but it's all preference on RB at that point. Jamison Crowder is a small player, but again, a tough kid who has been hugely productive. Bill Polian threw out a Wes Welker comparison, and he doesn't typically exaggerate. Later on, they again got more physical with Arie Kouandjio and Martrell Spaight. When I went through tape with Jon Gruden, Spaight was one of his favorite players in the entire draft. I agree with Mr. McShay that everywhere you look, they got tougher. Overall, I was really impressed with this draft.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/5Brandon ScherffOTIowa
2/38Preston SmithDEMississippi St
3/95Matt JonesRBFlorida
4/105Jamison CrowderWRDuke
4/112Arie KouandjioGAlabama
5/141Martrell SpaightOLBArkansas
6/181Kyshoen JarrettSVirginia Tech
6/182Tevin MitchelCBArkansas
6/187Evan SpencerWROhio State
7/222Austin ReiterCSouth Florida

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]New York Jets: A-[/h]Top needs: QB, OLB, OL, RB
The new leadership in the Jets front office had a great draft. Forget about need, when you get the best overall player in the draft (at least on my board) at No. 6 overall, you've done really well on value. I just don't think it's possible to have too many good defensive lineman, so I wouldn't exactly call it a "glut" to have Williams in there with Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson. In fact, you don't need a big imagination to have them all on the field at the same time. I know some fans might have wanted Kevin White at No. 6, but the Jets added a big-play threat at WR in Round 2 with Devin Smith. There are route concepts I just haven't seen from Smith, but that's mostly a product of the Ohio State offense, and he can really stretch you on defense. Good get. The Jets maneuvered well in moving down in a deal with Houston to add some picks, and they were then able to move back up later to secure Bryce Petty, who has ability but will need time to develop because there are so many NFL concepts that are foreign to him. Still, good value to get a No. 4 QB down at 103 overall. Lorenzo Mauldin has good length but doesn't scare you as an edge rusher -- he's a high-character kid and could help them as he develops. I agree with McShay that Jarvis Harrison can be a really good NFL guard if he gets after it a bit more, so you like the value in Round 5. Late in the draft, the Jets got good value at running back by flipping a late pick for Zac Stacy. I wanted them to nab a tackle, but it was a good overall draft for the Jets, adding value and in swinging deals, with Williams a fabulous value at the top. And remember: I factorBrandon Marshall into this draft.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/6Leonard WilliamsDEUSC
2/37Devin SmithWROhio State
3/82Lorenzo MauldinOLBLouisville
4/103Bryce PettyQBBaylor
5/152Jarvis HarrisonGTexas A&M
7/223Deon SimonDTNorthwestern St

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Jacksonville Jaguars: B+[/h]Top needs: DE, RB, CB, C
Last year's draft was all about Blake Bortles, and aside from the first pick, this one was often about Bortles yet again. The Jags also really went after needs, so my question is whether they got the best player they could have in each of the first two spots, where need was clearly an issue. Dante Fowler Jr. has the potential to be really good and the pass-rusher they really wanted, but bothLeonard Williams and Amari Cooper were available at No. 3, and I had both players rated above Fowler. In Round 2, T.J. Yeldon was the pick that hit an obvious need, but again, I wonder if Yeldon (or a comparable talent at RB) could have been available a full round later. I had several other running backs rated ahead of Yeldon when he went off the board. Based on what I was hearing, there wasn't really much of an opportunity to move down, however. A.J. Cann made sense in Round 3, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting right away. In fact, if you look at the first three picks, you have to assume all will start right away. Maybe we'll say the same about James Sample, a fourth-rounder who could have come off the board earlier. Rashad Greene is another pick that becomes about Bortles -- I think he helps the depth right away. A potential steal is Michael Bennett in Round 6. It seemed like he was my "Best Player Available" for about an hour. I also think Neal Sterling is an interesting guy to watch from the same school that produced Miles Austin. The Jags hit some key needs, but the reality of drafting where they are is that they have some needs remaining. I expect Fowler to be a really good player, but Jags fans will probably be keeping an eye on the success of Williams and Cooper too.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/3Dante Fowler Jr.DEFlorida
2/36T.J. YeldonRBAlabama
3/67A.J. CannGSouth Carolina
4/104James SampleSLouisville
5/139Rashad GreeneWRFlorida St
6/180Michael BennettDTOhio State
7/220Neal SterlingWRMonmouth
7/229Ben KoyackTENotre Dame

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Cincinnati Bengals: B+[/h]Top needs: DE, LB, OT, WR/TE
The Bengals had a really interesting draft. They have emerging needs at tackle (on both sides) and went with tackles in each of their first two picks. Cedric Ogbuehi is a top-15 pick if healthy, but he'll be coming off an ACL tear, and you can't expect much, if anything, from him in 2015. Where you could expect something is from second-rounder Jake Fisher, who was a pretty good value at No. 53. In fact, if Ogbuehi felt like a bit of a reach given his injury situation, Fisher balances it out. They added a trio of tight ends, and you get the impression that'll practically be a highly-competitive camp situation, with the hope that someone breaks through. A couple picks that could become a lot more useful than the slot indicates: one is Paul Dawson, a player his own coaches describe as a "knucklehead" -- not in a criminal way but in a "get focused" kind of way -- but who is also a really instinctive player who I think could rise quickly on the depth chart; the second one is Josh Shaw, who fell on character concerns following his bizarre suspension from USC last year but has the kind of talent you'd expect of a top-60 pick. Marvin Lewis likes to take chances on these kinds of kids, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he hits a couple home runs. The big void? I don't think a bad pass rush got any better, and I would have liked more upside out of a pass-catcher.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/21Cedric OgbuehiOTTexas A&M
2/53Jake FIsherOTOregon
3/85Tyler KroftTERutgers
3/99Paul DawsonOLBTCU
4/120Josh ShawSUSC
4/135Marcus HardisonDTArizona St
5/157C.J. UzomahTEAuburn
6/197Derron SmithSFresno St
7/238Mario AlfordWRWest Virginia

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Chicago Bears: B+[/h]Top needs: WR, DL, OLB, S
You could feel some suspense in the auditorium among Bears fans before the Jets (at No. 6) were set to pick. Would general manager Ryan Pace, who has major work to do on the defensive side of the ball, have Leonard Williams fall into his lap at No. 7 overall? Well, it didn't happen because the Jets went with Williams at No. 6, but Kevin White was still the star of the night as he got a huge ovation and hit a clear need for the Bears. This wasn't some massive steal on value, but a sensible pick and a good landing spot -- they'll need production from White in Year 1. My favorite pick for the Bears was probablyEddie Goldman early in Round 2. I thought he could have been taken in Round 1, and they needed to add a D-lineman. Hroniss Grasu has a chance to start early at center. He's a great athlete who can get out in front of runners. Jeremy Langford gives them a solid depth option and should get his share of carries next to Matt Forte. Adrian Amos is obviously a favorite of mine (from my alma mater Calvert Hall), and though the Bears helped themselves in free agency at safety, they needed another one. Amos has a chance to help them. If there's a void here, it's a pass-rush addition, but you can't hit every need, and they might have taken Preston Smith for that role if the Redskins hadn't. Pretty good draft overall, with the big question being whether White can transition quickly, as well as the absence of a pretty good tackle prospect, though Tayo Fabuluje will get a good look.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/7Kevin WhiteWRWest Virginia
2/39Eddie GoldmanDTFlorida St
3/71Hroniss GrasuCOregon
4/106Jeremy LangfordRBMichigan St
5/142Adrian AmosSPenn State
6/183Tayo FabulujeOTTCU

</tbody>
</aside>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens

i
[h=2]Philadelphia Eagles: B+[/h]Top needs: S, G, CB, WR
Chip Kelly might not have the maestro he coveted to run his offense, but he didn't leave this draft empty-handed. He has put a premium on guys that will buy in, and I think he got those types and hit a couple home runs in the process. Nelson Agholor to me just screams "high floor." He's a great route runner, plucks the ball out away from his body, has the proven toughness of a return man -- you should hear Polian talk about that -- and is sneaky explosive. He can get behind defenses. I also think Eric Rowe at No. 47 overall was a steal. He is a great kid and offers up versatility (CB or S), and I thought he'd be a good value as early as the end of Round 1. Jordan Hicks was a bit of a reach, but I can see where depth need is, given the group they have at linebacker. JaCorey Shepherd was often overlooked at Kansas, but was a steady performer and certainly helps at cornerback, and though Derron Smith had a reputation that surpassed what he showed on tape, that's a good need fit in Round 6. Eagles fans feeling let down by this draft should cheer up -- they got some good pieces. IfSam Bradford is indeed the answer, they can be back in the playoffs.
<aside class="inline inline-table" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: BentonSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; border: 0px; clear: both; margin: 6px 0px 18px; width: 570px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 16px; padding: 0px !important;">
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/20Nelson AgholorWRUSC
2/47Eric RoweCBUtah
3/84Jordan HicksILBTexas
6/191JaCorey ShepherdCBKansas
6/196Randall EvansCBKansas St
7/237Brian MihalikDEBoston College

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Atlanta Falcons: B[/h]Top needs: OLB, OL, TE, RB
The Falcons had a clear need for a pass-rusher. If you looked at things a couple months ago, you'd have assumed they were in a great position. Could it be Randy Gregory? Maybe Shane Ray? Maybe Vic Beasley? Well, in the lead-up to the draft, off-field concerns took Gregory and Ray both out of the equation this high. So though Beasley is a slight reach on my board -- he can rush the passer, but can he provide value elsewhere? -- I don't mind the pick there. If they move down, there's no guarantee they get him. Jalen Collins lacks experience, and there are off-field issues surrounding him, but the value lines up, and I'm sure Dan Quinn is looking for this type of cornerback after his time in Seattle, and Collins brings length and physicality. I don't know if a running back can ever be a "steal," but Tevin Coleman comes close, as I thought he could go early in Round 2, and the Falcons nabbed him at No. 73 overall. I wouldn't be surprised to see him splitting carries with Devonta Freeman in 2015. Justin Hardy is a solid depth addition at wide receiver, something they need becauseRoddy White will turn 34 in November. Grady Jarrett is not a name I'd expected to be around in Round 5, so I definitely liked that value. If there's a question mark here, it's the offensive line, where they didn't get any help at guard. I like this draft, especially with the curveball they dealt with regarding the class of pass-rushers.
<aside class="inline inline-table" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: BentonSans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; border: 0px; clear: both; margin: 6px 0px 18px; width: 570px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 16px; padding: 0px !important;">
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/8Vic BeasleyOLBClemson
2/42Jalen CollinsCBLSU
3/73Tevin ColemanRBIndiana
4/107Justin HardyWREast Carolina
5/137Grady JarrettDTClemson
7/225Jake RodgersOTEastern Washington
7/249Akeem KingSSan José St

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Detroit Lions: B[/h]Top needs: OL, DT, CB, RB
The Lions were involved in one of the few trades we saw in a semi-sleepy Round 1, and the strategy was clear: Fix the offensive line, particularly on the interior. They let the Broncos move up and added Manny Ramirez in pick swap, which landed them a player who has a real shot to start at center, which was a trouble spot for them in 2014. After moving down, they took Laken Tomlinson, a player I had rated as the No. 1 guard in the draft -- again, that's a guy who should start immediately at left guard. Even if Tomlinson is a bit of a reach, you added one starter and potentially two with the value of a single pick. That's not too bad. Reggie Bush is gone, but Ameer Abdullah is now here. This was about where I thought Abdullah would go -- solid pick. Alex Carter gives them some needed depth in the secondary, and the addition of Gabe Wrightgives them much-needed depth on the interior of the defensive line. Wright could make some plays as a rotation player. Quadre Diggs is an intriguing physical talent who has the chance to stick, and Corey Robinson is a massive tackle who might end up at guard. The Lions clearly wanted to improve the interior of the offensive line and add useful depth on defense, and they accomplished those things. Abdullah will also be a fun one to watch.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/28Laken TomlinsonGDuke
2/54Ameer AbdullahRBNebraska
3/80Alex CarterCBStanford
4/113Gabe WrightDTAuburn
5/168Michael BurtonFBRutgers
6/200Quandre DiggsCBTexas
7/240Corey RobinsonOTSouth Carolina

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Oakland Raiders: B[/h]Top needs: WR, DE, CB, S
I said it after Day 1: I don't know if a team hit a bigger home run early in the draft than the Raiders did with Amari Cooper. Last year, they knocked it out of the park with Khalil Mack, a versatile defender with a high floor because he does everything well. Cooper is in some ways a pass-catching version of Mack -- he does everything well. If you're being honest as a Raiders fan, you know the jury is still out on Derek Carr in regard to "franchise QB" status, but you really can't have a fair trial unless Carr has a player such as Cooper on the roster. Give the Raiders credit for taking the best value at a clear need and passing on tempting options such as Kevin White and Leonard Williams. If I'm critiquing, it's probably in Round 2, where I thought Mario Edwards was a bit of a reach as my 61st-ranked player. Edwards was a need, but this team has plenty of them and I had a couple dozen players rated higher there. I do like the Clive Walford pick as another matchup weapon for Carr; he has a great catch radius and will see the field early. Jon Feliciano could help at guard, though value there was just OK. I do really like Ben Heeney's chance to compete for a starting role at middle linebacker at some point. Max Valles was a pretty good value in the sixth round. I had a couple question marks, starting with Edwards, but for me, you couldn't do any better than Cooper at No. 4, and almost alone that makes it another good draft for Oakland.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/4Amari CooperWRAlabama
2/35Mario Edwards Jr.DEFlorida St
3/68Clive WalfordTEMiami (FL)
4/128Jon FelicianoGMiami (FL)
5/140Ben HeeneyILBKansas
5/161Neiron BallOLBFlorida
6/179Max VallesILBVirginia
7/218Anthony MorrisOTTennessee St
7/221Andre DeboseWRFlorida
7/242Dexter McDonaldCBKansas

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Green Bay Packers: B[/h]Top needs: ILB, DL, CB, TE
I thought the Packers did a good job because they got players I can see helping them right away, and they really didn't have major needs to fill. There was a lot of versatility added. Damarious Randall is just the definition of duct tape in the secondary, as he'll be on the field all the time in subpackages and will be called a safety or a cornerback depending on the look. Quinten Rollins is just total intrigue, with the potential to be a Pro Bowl talent based on the glimpse we got of him after converting from basketball. Ty Montgomery can be used in the passing game and the return game -- and you could even hand the ball off to him. I waxed about Jake Ryan on the broadcast, and I know Bill Polian really likes him too. If he's at 100 percent, I think you have a future starter at one of the inside linebacker spots -- he has a nose for making plays in the backfield.Brett Hundley is a good value that late, a toolsy talent to mold under Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Ripkowski could be a favorite someday, as he reminds me a little bit of John Kuhn. Hard to knock a draft like this, though I would have liked to see them add some depth along the D-line.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/30Damarious RandallSArizona St
2/62Quinten RollinsCBMiami (OH)
3/94Ty MontgomeryWRStanford
4/129Jake RyanOLBMichigan
5/147Brett HundleyQBUCLA
6/206Aaron RipkowskiFBOklahoma
6/210Christian RingoDEUL Lafayette
6/213Kennard BackmanTEUAB

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Minnesota Vikings: B[/h]Top needs: CB, LB, WR, RB
Trae Waynes brings about a lot of debate among my colleagues on the draft. We know he can cover in a straight line, and I love the speed, but the detractors point out Waynes really struggles when wide receivers aren't running in a straight line. As well, Jon Gruden is concerned Waynes isn't good in run support. I had him at No. 22 on my final Big Board, but my sense is the Vikings felt he was a clear need fit at No. 11, and they wouldn't be able to get a CB at his level later on. If it were me, I'm going with DeVante Parker right there, reuniting him with college teammate Teddy Bridgewater. They had one of the best picks in Round 2 when they added a potential immediate starter in Eric Kendricks. This kid can really run sideline to sideline and is the best cover linebacker in the draft. He doesn't just cover -- he actually makes plays. Danielle Hunter is a good developmental pick as a pass-rusher with great physical tools -- he was quietly more productive than people think. T.J. Clemmings has a foot issue that threatens his long-term potential, but that's a reasonable value bet in Round 4, especially after the disastrous situation the Vikings saw at left tackle the past season. Stefon Diggs was a good addition late because he's a guy who can turn short passes into big plays, though I would have liked a wide receiver pick a bit earlier. Mycole Pruitt and Tyrus Thompson both have the potential to stick -- I once saw Thompson as a potential Round 2 guy. The Vikes hit needs pretty well, and if Waynes cleans up aspects of his game, they might have really helped the defense with him and Kendricks. Good draft, but Waynes still has some "we'll see" aspects.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/11Trae WaynesCBMichigan St
2/45Eric KendricksILBUCLA
3/88Danielle HunterDELSU
4/110T.J. ClemmingsOTPittsburgh
5/143MyCole PruittTESouthern Illinois
5/146Stefon DiggsWRMaryland
6/185Tyrus ThompsonOTOklahoma
6/193B.J. DuboseDELouisville
7/228Austin ShepherdOTAlabama
7/232Edmond RobinsonOLBNewberry

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Cleveland Browns: B[/h]Top needs: QB, WR, OL, DT
Last year, Browns fans waited and hoped for the team to take a wide receiver, but Cleveland never found one it liked enough at each pick slot. This year, we saw more of the same. The Browns made a predictable and smart pick with Danny Shelton at No. 12, and I think he helps them shore up a leaky run defense immediately. The really curious selection was Cameron Erving at No. 19. Although I agree with some that he's among the best O-lineman in the draft -- and easily the best center -- he might end up at guard right away. The pick did make me think the Browns remember how much the run game fell apart when Alex Mack got hurt last year, and they aren't about to let that happen again. Still, a surprising pick. I liked the addition of the productive Nate Orchard. They no longer have Jabaal Sheard around, and Orchard gives them some juice off the edge as they wait for Barkevious Mingo to put it all together.Duke Johnson was a nice get in Round 3 as arguably the best pass-catching RB in the draft. If he's healthy, he's a stud. Xavier Cooper provides immediate depth on the defensive interior, and he's sneaky disruptive because of great quickness for his size. Vince Mayle had a ton of production in the WSU offense, but the speed is a major issue, and the hands can be inconsistent. I liked the additions of both Ibraheim Campbell (they need safety depth) and Charles Gaines. Hayes Pullard has a lot better tape than you'd expect for a guy taken so late. He'll see the field if healthy. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu could be a steal because he's essentially a redshirt and could really help the Browns in 2016. If there's a big question for me, it's whether they added enough help in the passing game. The QB situation is obviously a mystery -- I liked the idea of adding Bryce Petty in Round 3 here -- and based on what I can see, the Browns think the best use of the QBs they have right now is to keep them handing off.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/12Danny SheltonDTWashington
1/19Cameron ErvingCFlorida St
2/51Nate OrchardOLBUtah
3/77Duke JohnsonRBMiami (FL)
3/96Xavier CooperDTWashington St
4/115Ibraheim CampbellSNorthwestern
4/123Vince MayleWRWashington St
6/189Charles GainesCBLouisville
6/195Malcolm JohnsonTEMississippi St
6/198Randall TelferTEUSC
7/219Hayes PullardILBUSC
7/241Ifo Ekpre-OlomuCBOregon

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Miami Dolphins: B[/h]Top needs: WR, G, CB, LB
The Dolphins had one of my favorite picks of Round 1, and they didn't have to move to get their guy. DeVante Parker has the chance to be special and fills a clear need for them. I could have seen him going with any of the four picks ahead of Miami -- St. Louis, Minnesota, Cleveland and New Orleans -- so getting him at No. 14 was a good value. Jordan Phillips has first-round physical ability and third-round tape, so landing in Round 2 just about averages things out. The addition of Ndamukong Suh was impactful, but Miami can use the depth behind him or put Phillips and Suh on the field at the same time. If Phillips plays at Suh's effort level on every snap, there's a potential stud here.Jamil Douglas could play right away, given the need at guard, and though I thought Bobby McCain was a bit of a reach given some other cornerbacks available when he was taken, that's splitting hairs again. Jay Ajayi is a tough runner who fell on injury and ball security concerns, but if he's healthy, he can be really good. Tony Lippett is a player I expected to go earlier. If there's a question, it's the lack of a linebacker earlier on. The Parker pick really elevates this draft for me, and they can hope the coin flip on Phillips' becoming really good works out. But ultimately, I see one certainty here, and injury risk in a number of places.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/14DeVante ParkerWRLouisville
2/52Jordan PhillipsDTOklahoma
4/114Jamil DouglasGArizona St
5/145Bobby McCainCBMemphis
5/149Jay AjayiRBBoise State
5/150Ced ThompsonSMinnesota
5/156Tony LippettWRMichigan St

</tbody>
</aside>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens

i
[h=2]Houston Texans: B[/h]Top needs: WR, ILB, OLB, QB
The continuing question around the Texans is whether they'll get enough out of the QB position to help elevate the good roster-building they've done elsewhere, but it's not like there was a starting QB play to be found in this draft for them, and they did a good job of continuing to strengthen the roster beyond that position. Kevin Johnson is a bit lean, but everything else is there, and I know some teams had him graded as the best cornerback in the draft.Benardrick McKinney is the thumper they needed at inside lineabacker, but I had both Eric Kendricks and Denzel Perryman rated higher. That's a situation in which you're looking for specific traits, and McKinney really makes his money tackling against the run. I probably had Jaelen Strong higher than most, given the way he dropped on the board -- I saw him as a possible Round 1 pick -- but I still see getting him in Round 3 as a potential steal, and having both him andDeAndre Hopkins on the field provides a lot of big-play ability. Strong can make the contested catch.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/16Kevin JohnsonCBWake Forest
2/43Benardrick McKinneyILBMississippi St
3/70Jaelen StrongWRArizona St
5/175Keith MumpheryWRMichigan St
6/211Reshard CliettOLBSouth Florida
6/216Christian CovingtonDTRice
7/235Kenny HilliardRBLSU

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]New York Giants: B-[/h]Top needs: OL, DE, S, TE
I expected the Giants to take either Brandon Scherff, if available, or Ereck Flowers with the No. 9 pick, so when Scherff ended up at No. 5, Flowers became the man. He could end up at right tackle, pushing Justin Pugh inside. If Flowers can transition well, the Giants could get better at two positions with one pick, but you just can't make that promise. While the pick made sense, I had Flowers at No. 27 overall on my final Big Board, so for me this wasn't a "best player available" situation. I was a fan of the move up to get Landon Collins in Round 2. The Giants don't just have a need for a box safety, Collins can also become something akin to a WILL linebacker for them. You move up for a guy you think helps you right away, and Collins certainly does. Owa Odighizuwa (say it together: OH-DIG-HE-ZOO-AH) was a reasonable value in Round 3, and though his pass-rushing skills can be underwhelming, he's a great athlete with a sturdy frame, and the Giants are woefully short on edge depth. The addition of another safety in Round 5, Mykkele Thompson, just emphasizes the need at that position and, perhaps, how they plan to use Collins. I just thought it was a reach. I had better options available on my board, but again, it's all about fit and development at this point. Geremy Davis is a sleeper at WR because he's quite an athlete who maybe does more on a better team. I think the Giants did pretty well in hitting needs, but the transition to tackle isn't an easy one, and fans shouldn't expect Flowers to fix that O-line overnight.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/9Ereck FlowersOTMiami (FL)
2/33Landon CollinsSAlabama
3/74Owamagbe OdighizuwaDEUCLA
5/144Mykkele ThompsonSTexas
6/186Geremy DavisWRConnecticut
7/226Bobby HartOTFlorida St

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]San Diego Chargers: B-[/h]Top needs: DL, WR, RB, OLB
You do a double-take when you realize the Chargers are taking the second running back in Round 1 after moving up a couple spots in a deal with the Niners (I thought the price was reasonable), but I think Gordon has a real shot to be the Offensive Rookie of the Year. Again, I don't like taking a running back in Round 1 typically, but the Chargers are in win-now mode, and Gordon is a massive upgrade at the top of their depth chart. If they can get more out of the run game, maybe Philip Rivers would be a little happier. Denzel Perryman is one of my favorite picks of Round 2, and I'll be interested to see how the depth chart looks after camp. Craig Mager was a pretty fair value in Round 3, and Kyle Emanuel was a good value at No. 153 at a position where I felt they needed to add a body because the pass-rush production is way too underwhelming -- he had 19.5 sacks last year. It's so underwhelming, unfortunately, that they might have waited a bit too long to add a player there. I think Darius Philon was a great get that late just because I thought he was one of the best players available for quite a while. I would have really liked to see the Chargers add some fresh legs at either wide receiver or tight end, given some of the age on the roster at those positions, and nose tackle was a need that wasn't addressed. They did get some really good players, though. The pressure is on Gordon to prove he was worth the lofty slot for a RB.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/15Melvin GordonRBWisconsin
2/48Denzel PerrymanILBMiami (FL)
3/83Craig MagerCBTexas State
5/153Kyle EmanuelOLBNorth Dakota St
6/192Darius PhilonDTArkansas

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Kansas City Chiefs: B-[/h]Top needs: WR, ILB, S, DE
It's an interesting debate: Is wide receiver still the biggest need on the roster, even with the addition of Jeremy Maclin? This was the question that came up when trying to predict what GM John Dorsey and head coach Andy Reid were going to do with their first pick at No. 18. Do you take Breshad Perriman, with the great athletic ability and size, or do you go somewhere else? The Chiefs had Marcus Peters as the top cornerback in the draft, and I think that made it easy for them. Peters has had some issues, but if he plays to his potential, K.C. might have gotten one of the top overall players at any position. They had Mitch Morse graded well above where I did, but I think he'll compete to start at either guard or center, which adds to his value. They got a high-upside wide receiver with Chris Conley in Round 3, and then I really liked the late addition of Da'Ron Brown out of Northern Illinois. Steven Nelson adds more depth in the secondary, and Ramik Wilson helps with a clear need at linebacker. We talk about the Chiefs' wide receivers not catching TD passes last year, but the front office was just as concerned with their defense's not catching interceptions, and that was a focus. I think the defense got better over the past three days.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/18Marcus PetersCBWashington
2/49Mitch MorseOTMissouri
3/76Chris ConleyWRGeorgia
3/98Steven NelsonCBOregon St
4/118Ramik WIlsonOLBGeorgia
5/172D.J. AlexanderOLBOregon St
5/173James O'ShaughnessyTEIllinois St
6/217Rakeem Nunez-RochesDTSouthern Miss
7/233Da'Ron BrownWRNorthern Illinois

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Tampa Bay Buccaneers: B-[/h]Top needs: QB, DE, OT, G
The Jameis Winston pick shows why holding the No. 1 pick can be a great opportunity to change your franchise ... an opportunity every single team hates. Winston is a special football talent, but I've been doing this for almost 40 years now, and when I speak to people in the league, we're both stumped to find a player such as Winston, a No. 1 overall pick, with so many things about him that scare you to death. The key here is to realize you can agree with the pick without calling it a slam dunk. Winston is not Andrew Luck, a winning lottery ticket handed to a fortunate franchise; he's the definition of a boom-or-bust selection. Again, I don't think they made the wrong decision, given the obvious need; I only think what Winston becomes is an unknown because the real work to help him develop into a true franchise leader is about to begin. After the Winston pick, the Bucs looked to address some clear needs up front. Donovan Smith was a reach on my board -- Oregon's Jake Fisher was available there -- but he's got a lot of experience and can come in and compete. Will he get better? Big question. Ali Marpet has been a star of "the process" starting with the Senior Bowl; I think expecting him to start early and play well (as opposed to just playing) is a little optimistic, but the value made sense. I thought they did well with the Kwon Alexander pick, but I think the question is whether he holds up at his size. They added piece a pair of interesting WRs in Kenny Bell and Kaelin Clay -- surrounding Winston with young talent even as they have some good pieces on the roster in Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans. In the end, this draft comes down to Winston. If he doesn't show he can be a franchise QB over the next two seasons, you could have new leadership making the picks in 2017.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/1Jameis WinstonQBFlorida St
2/34Donovan SmithOTPenn State
2/61Ali MarpetGHobart College
4/124Kwon AlexanderOLBLSU
5/162Kenny BellWRNebraska
6/184Kaelin ClayWRUtah
7/231Joey IosefaRBHawaii

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Indianapolis Colts: B-[/h]Top needs: OL, DL, CB, S
The Colts managed to get several of my favorite players in the draft, yet I still think they continue to play with fire by not doing more to build quality depth along the offensive line. Phillip Dorsett is an absolute burner who can actually catch the ball, and if you like T.Y. Hilton, I think you're going to love Dorsett. A great player ... but a big need? That looked to me like a clear case of "best player available" drafting. D'Joun Smith is a solid sleeper cornerback and a decent value at No. 65 overall, and I think Henry Anderson is going to be a good defensive lineman in this league for a while. I like three of those guys, andAmarlo Herrera could be a nice value late. David Parry is also a ball of muscle and has a chance to stick and deliver value in a rotation. If there's a big gripe, it's the Colts seem to consistently take for granted that Andrew Luck won't get hurt despite all the hits. They didn't add serious talent at tackle or guard, and I think more bodies and competition up front would make a difference for a team that really should have Super Bowl aspirations. Hopefully, they stay healthy up front.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/29Phillip DorsettWRMiami (FL)
3/65D'Joun SmithCBFlorida Atlantic
3/93Henry AndersonDEStanford
4/109Clayton GeathersSUCF
5/151David ParryDTStanford
6/205Josh RobinsonRBMississippi St
6/207Amarlo HerreraILBGeorgia
7/255Denzelle GoodOTMars Hill

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]New England Patriots: B-[/h]Top needs: DL, WR, CB, RB
The Patriots got two of the biggest steals in the draft and also did the usual by taking a player relatively early (No. 97) that I thought they could have gotten about six hours of draft picks later. They did well overall, but I'm not sure why they didn't take at least one wide receiver or cornerback. Malcom Brown was an absolute steal at No. 32. The defensive tackle out of Texas actually isn't at all like Vince Wilford -- repeat after me: He's not a replacement for Big Vince -- but he's really good and should be a part of the D-line rotation out of the gate. Jordan Richards is a smart, versatile fit in the secondary, which is exactly the kind of guy they like. I had him going lower, but if you think the guy can help and he's there for a team this good? Take him. Trey Flowers was another outstanding value down at No. 101 overall. I had him going off the board early in Round 2. That's a steal. I also like the additions of Tre' Jackson as O-line depth (he played with Bryan Stork at FSU), and they got their long-snapper in Joe Cardona. Matt Wells is also an interesting athlete to watch. The reach? That wasGeneo Grissom, who I'm pretty sure would have been available later. Again, I wished they would have done more at CB and WR, and that drops them some, but you can't say they didn't get some good players, for a Super Bowl champ, no less.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/32Malcom BrownDTTexas
2/64Jordan RichardsSStanford
3/97Geneo GrissomDEOklahoma
4/101Trey FlowersDEArkansas
4/111Tre' JacksonGFlorida St
4/131Shaq MasonCGeorgia Tech
5/166Joe CardonaLSNavy
6/178Matt WellsOLBMississippi St
6/202AJ DerbyTEArkansas
7/247Darryl RobertsCBMarshall
7/253Xzavier DicksonDEAlabama

</tbody>
</aside>
i
[h=2]Denver Broncos: B-[/h]Top needs: OL, ILB, DL, TE
The Broncos are keeping the title window wide open by targeting a needed pass-rusher as well as some offensive line help on the interior. The trade up to get Shane Ray could end up becoming a steal, because while Ray's injury issue and off-field questions have been well-documented, you're talking about a highly productive pass-rusher who belonged in the top 10 on ability nabbed by a team that still wants to contend for a Super Bowl. If he's right and spelling Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware, this is a deep pass rush. Ty Sambrailo is a tackle who could end up at guard, where they have a need, and Max Garcia is a center who should stay there. The player I'm really interested to watch develop in Denver is Jeff Heuerman, who simply wasn't utilized much in an Ohio State offense that had plenty of weapons. Heuerman is big and can block, but he's also a really good athlete at that size, and I think Peyton Manning will like what he sees. Denver needs to hope at least one of the rookie O-linemen emerges as an answer to help the interior of the offensive line, but if Ray pans out, this draft could be pretty good.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/23Shane RayDEMissouri
2/59Ty SambrailoOTColorado St
3/92Jeff HeuermanTEOhio State
4/133Max GarciaCFlorida
5/164Lorenzo DossCBTulane
6/203Darius KilgoDTMaryland
7/250Trevor SiemianQBNorthwestern
7/251Taurean NixonCBTulane
7/252Josh FurmanSOklahoma St

</tbody>
</aside>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
i
[h=2]Arizona Cardinals: C+[/h]
</aside>Top needs: OLB, RB, C, CB
The Cardinals were a team many of us saw taking Melvin Gordonif the Wisconsin RB were available at No. 24, in part because the roster really doesn't have any gaping holes in spots you typically target with premium picks. Turns out, it was never even close with Gordon. D.J. Humphries was a bit of a reach on my board, but I can understand the pick as they look for competition at right tackle. General manager Steve Keim has made improving the O-line a priority from Day 1, and he wants to continue improving there. They needed to add a pass-rusher, and they got Markus Golden in Round 2, then Shaq Riddickin Round 5. I don't see quite the same ability in Golden, but the need there was certainly addressed. David Johnson has a chance to help them right away at running back. He has good size and also offers good hands. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he breaks out in one of the next two seasons. J.J. Nelson is a miniature burner and could be someone to watch in the return game -- he'll run under 4.3, which he needs to since he's under 160 pounds. It was going to be hard to add a player who was sure to be an immediate starter, which is a credit to the state of the roster, but I didn't like the value too much with either of the top two picks.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/24D.J. HumphriesOTFlorida
2/58Markus GoldenDEMissouri
3/86David JohnsonRBNorthern Iowa
4/116Rodney GunterDEDelaware St
5/158Shaq RiddickDEWest Virginia
5/159J.J. NelsonWRUAB
7/256Gerald ChristianTELouisville

<tbody>
</tbody>
</aside>
i
Dallas Cowboys: C+

Top needs: CB, RB, DT, S
It's now two straight years we've seen the Cowboys drive the suspense factor and end up not picking a player at the position everyone is talking about. Last year, it was passing on a QB and Johnny Manziel. This year, it was passing on a running back after the departure of Demarco Murray. They again targeted a player in Round 1 who they think can help make them better in a need area right away. Last year, it was Zack Martin on the O-line; this year, it was Byron Jones in the secondary. The versatile, athletic freak from Connecticut could play all over for them. He helps. Randy Gregory is the big story. Gregory is a gifted pass-rusher with top-5 ability, but Dallas is rolling the dice at No. 60 and believing Rod Marinelli can help a kid who has off-field issues that threaten to derail his career. If it works out, that's an impact player. Chaz Green was a pretty massive reach on my board, but I did like Damien Wilson in Round 4. If health issues again hurt them in the linebacking corps, Wilson is great insurance. As to the big question mark, which was not selecting a running back, my sense is the Cowboys know there are many backs who will run effectively behind their offensive line, and you can add one on the cheap pretty easily. The depth chart there just really isn't that bad. Jones is the safe bet, and Gregory the potential home run. From there, we'll see.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/27Byron JonesCBConnecticut
2/60Randy GregoryOLBNebraska
3/91Chaz GreenOTFlorida
4/127Damien WIlsonILBMinnesota
5/163Ryan RussellDEPurdue
7/236Mark NzeochaOLBWyoming
7/243Laurence GibsonOTVirginia Tech
7/246Geoff SwaimTETexas

<tbody>
</tbody>
</aside>
i
Tennessee Titans: C+

Top needs: RT, WR DE, QB
I think the Titans made the right call in taking Mariota. Yes, I would have been willing to listen to offers to trade down -- you have to, really -- but when we spoke with Ken Whisenhunt it became clear Mariota wasn't just drafted to spend a year marinating in Whisenhunt's system. He is expected to start. I'm concerned about any rookie QB expected to start, but my sense is this coaching staff doesn't feel they have a chance to wait. Mariota is an absolute sponge in terms of his willingness to absorb knowledge, and I think he is extremely motivated to prove he wasn't a product of the Oregon system; he was the big reason the system was as good as it's ever been when he was running the show. After Mariota, I thought Tennessee had some reaches on value on three consecutive picks: Dorial Green-Beckham is a special athlete, but he's incomplete and plays soft, and I thought there were several better options available at No. 40; I had Jeremiah Poutasi as my 12th-ranked guard (he played tackle at Utah), so that's a reach on my board in Round 3; and the Angelo Blackson pick was again a slight reach for me. I'm a big fan of Jalston Fowler, so I liked that one in a reasonable value range. The big question is whether this team actually improved on paper outside of Mariota. They could have used another pass-rusher. As with the Bucs, this draft will be viewed through the prism of Mariota. I'll say this: I believe in his capacity to make himself great.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/2Marcus MariotaQBOregon
2/40Dorial Green-BeckhamWRMissouri
3/66Jeremiah PoutasiOTUtah
4/100Angelo BlacksonDTAuburn
4/108Jalston FowlerFBAlabama
5/138David CobbRBMinnesota
6/177Deiontrez MountOLBLouisville
6/208Andy GallikCBoston College
7/245Tre McBrideWRWilliam & Mary

<tbody>
</tbody>
</aside>
i
San Francisco 49ers: C+

Top needs: CB, WR, LB, DL
Since Trent Baalke has been running the show, I think I've liked every 49ers draft -- usually a lot. This one wasn't bad by any measures, but there's a lot of projection here, and I'm concerned they didn't do enough at a couple need positions. Arik Armstead is the definition of potential over polish, as he has all the physical talent and size you want, but he really needs to go to school (Justin Smith should open an academy just for Armstead) if he wants to become great. Jaquiski Tartt will come downhill and is something of a hybrid, a guy who can cover but won't weaken you against the run. Eli Harold is also a lot of projection because he has shot-out-of-a-cannon explosiveness but isn't yet a complete player. They hit a home run last year with Aaron Lynch, and Harold has the chance to be a disruptor too. If he stayed in school for another year, we could've been talking about him as a first-rounder in 2016. Blake Bell is another projection play, as he's starting to figure tight end out -- he's also an interesting guy to have, depending what the 2-point conversion rules gives us. DeAndre Smelter is a scratch-off ticket with million-dollar upside. If there's a theme here, it's that you really need to believe in your ability to coach these guys up. The other thing I wonder about is the lack of a true inside linebacker or cornerback. I'm fascinated to see what this class becomes because it's short on guarantees.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/17Arik ArmsteadDEOregon
2/46Jaquiski TarttSSamford
3/79Eli HaroldOLBVirginia
4/117Blake BellTEOklahoma
4/126Mike DavisRBSouth Carolina
4/132DeAndre SmelterWRGeorgia Tech
5/165Bradley PinionPClemson
6/190Ian SilbermanOTBoston College
7/244Trent BrownGFlorida
7/254Busta AndersonTESouth Carolina

<tbody>
</tbody>
</aside>
i
New Orleans Saints: C

Top needs: OLB, WR, G, CB
The Saints really needed a good draft, not simply because they have some obvious needs and are coming off a really disappinting 2014 season, but also because Jimmy Graham is no longer with the team. When you lose a franchise icon and get draft proceeds out of the deal, you better get some good players. With the bulk of the focus on defense, which was a huge problem the past season, I'd just say they did OK. Andrus Peat hits a need on the offensive line, but he's probably not ideal as a starter in Week 1 because NFL-level pass-rushers could give him fits. He might start at guard initially. The first-rounder they got back from Seattle turned into Stephone Anthony, and though he hits a need, I had a trio of inside linebackers ahead of him on my board. Not a big fan of the move. Hau'Oli Kikaha is another reach on my board -- the guy was really productive, but he lacks explosiveness and won't slip NFL blocks like he did college ones. Garrett Grayson becomes an understudy for Drew Brees and a potential long-term starter, and P.J. Williams brings talent but a seriously checkered off-the-field history. Both reasonable on value, though some teams had dropped Williams. A sleeper here could be Davis Tull, who has second-round credentials as an athlete but will face a huge jump in competition. The Saints did some good work addressing defensive needs, but they really could have used another pass-catcher. When you factor the Graham deal as a part of the overall grade, it takes a hit.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/13Andrus PeatOTStanford
1/31Stephone AnthonyILBClemson
2/44Hau'oli KikahaOLBWashington
3/75Garrett GraysonQBColorado St
3/78P.J. WilliamsCBFlorida St
5/148Davis TullOLBChattanooga
5/154Tyeler DavisonDTFresno St
5/167Damian SwannCBGeorgia
7/230Marcus MurphyRBMissouri

<tbody>
</tbody>
</aside>
i
Carolina Panthers: C

Top needs: OT, WR, DB, S
The Panthers had one of the more surprising picks in the early portion of the draft, when they took Shaq Thompson at No. 25. My sense is when Arizona picked D.J. Humphries at No. 24, Carolina didn't like the value at tackle and had to shift gears, taking Thompson with the assumption he could compete to start immediately or at least become the eventual replacement for Thomas Davis. Good player, but sure looked like a reach to me. Thompson sees himself as a future Lavonte David, but those guys are available in Round 2, and Thompson could have been taken there as well. The Panthers again passed on an O-lineman -- and I repeat, they really need some O-lineman, any O-lineman -- in Round 2 and added Devin Funchess, who is a size matchup problem but struggles to gain separation. I think Trent Dilfer made a great point during the broadcast, which was that when you can't block, you should look for a couple guys who create immediate separation. With Funchess and Kelvin Benjamin, the Panthers have big bodies, but they don't separate much at all. Daryl Williams is a decent tackle value at No. 102, and he could push for a starting role at one of the tackle spots, though that's wishful thinking in 2015. The David Mayo pick was a bit of a puzzler, and then they got a depth RB in Cameron Artis-Payne. The Panthers added some useful pieces, but the O-line still looks scary from where I sit (the questions about whether Michael Oher will be able to do his job well are going to persist until he proves he can) and probably from where Cam Newtonsits too.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/25Shaq ThompsonOLBWashington
2/41Devin FunchessWRMichigan
4/102Daryl WilliamsOTOklahoma
5/169David MayoILBTexas State
5/174Cameron Artis-PayneRBAuburn

<tbody>
</tbody>
</aside>
i
St. Louis Rams: C

Top needs: OL, WR, CB, QB
This was a fascinating draft class, but one that I thought had several reaches on value and didn't address a pair of needs. I don't know if there was a more deliberate approach to improving a single area of a team. The Rams want to be better running the football, which should help take pressure off a passing game we can't expect to be special, and they seemed to emphasize that goal with every pick. Todd Gurley is a special talent and the best running back available in the draft. I don't dislike the value as much as I typically would -- I've said 1,000 times I don't think taking RBs in Round 1 is a good strategy -- because the Rams have the roster to start winning now, and because a star QB isn't walking through that door, they had to go with the run game. If Gurley gets hurt again, it looks terrible; if he's a stud in 2015, it looks great. It's that simple. In Round 2, Robert Havenstein was a blocker I thought would be available into Round 3, and the same goes for Jamon Brown in Round 3. After drafting a depth/developmental addition at QB in Sean Mannion, the Rams again went for another offensive lineman in Andrew Donnal. For me, the big question is whether all this investment up front leads to a better running game right away and why they didn't add a WR aside from Bud Sasser. After so many quality picks in recent years, it's time to win in St. Louis.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/10Todd GurleyRBGeorgia
2/57Robert HavensteinOTWisconsin
3/72Jamon BrownOTLouisville
3/89Sean MannionQBOregon St
4/119Andrew DonnalOTIowa
6/201Bud SasserWRMissouri
6/215Cody WichmannGFresno St
7/224Bryce HagerILBBaylor
7/227Martin IfediDEMemphis

<tbody>
</tbody>
</aside>
i
Buffalo Bills: C-

Top needs: QB, G, ILB, S
I gave the Bills a hard time in the draft grades last year because I thought they paid far too steep a price to move up for Sammy Watkins, given how many good WRs were in that draft. Watkins is going to be just fine, but Mike Evans and Odell Beckham, Jr. could have both been taken without moving up, and that move up now factors into the grade this year, when the Bills didn't have a first-rounder and simply couldn't add the same amount of talent as other teams. I thought Ronald Darby was a reach in Round 2 at No. 50. There's a lot of natural ability with him, but I didn't have CB as nearly the biggest need, and I don't think he was the best player available, either. I'm a lot higher on the third-round selection of John Miller, a physical force in the run game, which they need to succeed to take some pressure off whoever is taking the QB snaps. (There's some buzz that Tyrod Taylor could be really pushing for that role, by the way.)Karlos Williams provides some depth at running back, but I'm not sure how much they needed it, and I might have looked at one of a number of values to be had at linebacker in that range. That said, if Rex said he needed it on defense, my guess is they would have made the move. Nick O'Leary can stick because the competes like heck and can catch the ball, and I think Da'Ron Brown is a sleeper because he uses his length effectively and makes plays. I also think Buffalo got one of the bigger steals in the draft in Dez Lewis, a big-bodied speedster out of Central Arkansas who doesn't look the least bit out of place from a physical and workout standpoint next to the first-round types. The Bills didn't need an amazing draft, thanks to good roster-building outside of QB. That's a good thing.
ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
2/50Ronald DarbyCBFlorida St
3/81John MillerGLouisville
5/155Karlos WilliamsRBFlorida St
6/188Tony StewardOLBClemson
6/194Nick O'LearyTEFlorida St
7/234Dez LewisWRCentral Arkansas

<tbody>
</tbody>
</aside>

Tokens
And here is what they would say about the Colts if they went offensive line. "I just don't they think did enough to fill their defensive needs" . They needed DE's, ILB, safety so cant win. Just have to hope the drafted players work out.

Handicapper
Tokens
Where are the Ds and Fs?

Where Taconite Is Just A Low Grade Ore
Tokens
Once again Spielman showed that he's totaly unqualified to be a GM in the NFL. We need a WR & Parker was there, then in the 2nd round he should have gone for Beckam, so he's had probs, remember a guy named MOSS?? GB sure does!! He must have pics of the Wilfs'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
callgirls
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com