Yesterday210.00+2.20
Last 30 Days38460.00-2.26
Season to Date79940.00-1.57

<tbody>
</tbody>

All plays are for 2 units
Listed pitchers must start.

Chicago +120 over WASHINGTON
No reason to stop attacking the most overvalued team in the majors. The market loves the Nationals and we can understand why with their great starting pitching staff. However, the Nats bullpen has been erratic, the offense has been awful and their defense ranks 8th worst in terms of errors committed. Tanner Roark appears to be Washington's choice to replace Doug Fister in the rotation. Roark was a part of the rotation in 2014 in which he won 15 games with a 2.85 ERA but his skills weren't quite that good. His xERA was nearly a run worse and his K-rate was only league average. So far in 2015, the disparity in results and skills continues. Roark has made 15 appearances this year with 13 of those coming in relief. While he has an ERA of 2.59, his xERA is 4.58. More troubling is his strikeout rate, which is down to 3.1 K’s/9. Overall in 31 frames, Roark has a lousy BB/K split of 8/11. His 88% strand rate combined with that xERA of 4.58 says regression is on the way. As a favorite in this price range, we’ll pass on Roark and the Nationals.

Tsuyoshi Wada has made just three starts. He has yet to make it out of the sixth inning in any of them but the Cubs are bringing him along slowly after a late start to the year. Wada’s pitch count has progressively increased with each start. He has thrown 69, 83 and 96 pitches in his first, second and third starts respectively. Wada comes in with an oppBA of .182 and a nice BB/K split of 6/19 in 16 frames. It’s also worth noting that he was solid in six rehab starts in the Pacific Coast League. In 13 starts last year for the Cubbies, Wada posted a 3.25 ERA with 7.4 K’s/9 with consistent underlying skills. At age 34, Wada isn’t going to dominate or blow people away. However, he’s a competent major league pitcher on a hungry team that has proven to be reliable and consistent. That’s good enough for us.

Milwaukee +125 over MINNESOTA
We faded the Twins with Tommy Milone pitching yesterday but ripped up our ticket after Boston blew a 4-0 lead. That’s not going to stop us from attacking them some more. Minnesota’s 32-21 is all smoke and mirrors. They have improved from last year but no way have they improved this dramatically. Kyle Gibson’s 4-3 record in 10 starts with an ERA of 2.61 can’t last either. Gibson has 30 K’s in 62 innings. In his last start, he walked four batters and struck out three. His WHIP of 1.29 is a fraction lower than our 1.30 threshold of pitchers in trouble. Over his last five starts, Gibson’s strand rate of 91% tells the story of a pitcher whose results have been fueled by luck. It's clear that you should use Gibson’s 4.64 xERA as your guide for whether or not to invest in him. If you've been riding his hot streak thus far, pocket the money and say thank-you very much. If you continue to ride it, prepare yourself for a crash landing.

Kyle Lohse has had a rough go of it so far, with a 6.50 ERA across his first 11 starts. So what's the problem? Actually, there isn’t one. If anything, Lohse's skills are a bit stronger than usual, so now would be the time to buy low. Lohse is sitting on the highest strikeout rate of his career and his swinging strike rate matches his career best mark. With a BB/K split of 15/51 in 62 innings, it's doubtful he can keep it at that level all season, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his stuff. Lohse is allowing just a few more base runners than usual, but far too many of them are coming around to score. His extremely low strand rate of 56% is due for a major correction, which should help his ERA immensely. Lohse has made a habit of posting an ERA well below his xERA, but so far this year, the tables have turned on him. His surface numbers are quite ugly right now, but his skills are pretty much in line with those he's displayed in the past. We can almost guarantee that Gibson’s ERA will regress significantly while Lohse’s will improve significantly over the next couple of months. We’ll put both to the test here.

TORONTO -1½ +155 over Houston
The Astros have struck out an incredible 507 times. That’s 100 more strikeouts than the Blue Jays and 200 more than the Royals. Houston’s team batting average of .236 is second last in the majors, ahead of only the Brewers. That should bode well for Aaron Sanchez and his filthy stuff. Sanchez’s only problem is control but these Astros have never seen a pitch they didn’t like. Sanchez has walked 37 batters in 58 innings but has only allowed 52 hits for an oppBA of .245. At home, Sanchez has allowed just 22 hits in 31.2 innings for an oppBA of .204. His 58%/20%/22% groundball/line-drive/fly-ball split is one of the better batted ball profiles in the entire league. Regardless of the pitch he uses, Sanchez induces weak contact. Aaron Sanchez is a tweak away from becoming a truly dominant starter and based on his skills, one has to like his chances of dominating this lineup.

The Astros have won five of Roberto Hernandez’s last seven starts. That has this stiff very overvalued. The only reason the Astronauts won those games is because they scored 14, 7, 6, 6 and 10 runs respectively. Hernandez has been tagged for 17 hits and 12 runs over his last two starts covering 10.2 frames. When he faced Toronto back on May 14 in Houston, he did not strike out a single batter and was taken deep twice. Over his last five starts, Hernandez has a BB/K split of 9/13 over 31 innings. Hernandez, a 10-year veteran, has become a prototypical innings eater. His only value is when he’s a significant dog against a weaker pitcher than he is. His 4½% swing and miss rate over his last four starts is further proof that he’s not missing many bats. The Rogers Center is not a place you want to put balls in play at but it’s something that is unavoidable for Hernandez (a.k.a Fausto Carmona). Those Fausto’s days are long gone and so are most of his skills.

Tokens
RangeWLP+/- (Units)
Yesterday210.00+2.20
Last 30 Days38460.00-2.26
Season to Date79940.00-1.57

<tbody>
</tbody>

All plays are for 2 units
Listed pitchers must start.

Chicago +120 over WASHINGTON
No reason to stop attacking the most overvalued team in the majors. The market loves the Nationals and we can understand why with their great starting pitching staff. However, the Nats bullpen has been erratic, the offense has been awful and their defense ranks 8th worst in terms of errors committed. Tanner Roark appears to be Washington's choice to replace Doug Fister in the rotation. Roark was a part of the rotation in 2014 in which he won 15 games with a 2.85 ERA but his skills weren't quite that good. His xERA was nearly a run worse and his K-rate was only league average. So far in 2015, the disparity in results and skills continues. Roark has made 15 appearances this year with 13 of those coming in relief. While he has an ERA of 2.59, his xERA is 4.58. More troubling is his strikeout rate, which is down to 3.1 K’s/9. Overall in 31 frames, Roark has a lousy BB/K split of 8/11. His 88% strand rate combined with that xERA of 4.58 says regression is on the way. As a favorite in this price range, we’ll pass on Roark and the Nationals.

Tsuyoshi Wada has made just three starts. He has yet to make it out of the sixth inning in any of them but the Cubs are bringing him along slowly after a late start to the year. Wada’s pitch count has progressively increased with each start. He has thrown 69, 83 and 96 pitches in his first, second and third starts respectively. Wada comes in with an oppBA of .182 and a nice BB/K split of 6/19 in 16 frames. It’s also worth noting that he was solid in six rehab starts in the Pacific Coast League. In 13 starts last year for the Cubbies, Wada posted a 3.25 ERA with 7.4 K’s/9 with consistent underlying skills. At age 34, Wada isn’t going to dominate or blow people away. However, he’s a competent major league pitcher on a hungry team that has proven to be reliable and consistent. That’s good enough for us.

Milwaukee +125 over MINNESOTA
We faded the Twins with Tommy Milone pitching yesterday but ripped up our ticket after Boston blew a 4-0 lead. That’s not going to stop us from attacking them some more. Minnesota’s 32-21 is all smoke and mirrors. They have improved from last year but no way have they improved this dramatically. Kyle Gibson’s 4-3 record in 10 starts with an ERA of 2.61 can’t last either. Gibson has 30 K’s in 62 innings. In his last start, he walked four batters and struck out three. His WHIP of 1.29 is a fraction lower than our 1.30 threshold of pitchers in trouble. Over his last five starts, Gibson’s strand rate of 91% tells the story of a pitcher whose results have been fueled by luck. It's clear that you should use Gibson’s 4.64 xERA as your guide for whether or not to invest in him. If you've been riding his hot streak thus far, pocket the money and say thank-you very much. If you continue to ride it, prepare yourself for a crash landing.

Kyle Lohse has had a rough go of it so far, with a 6.50 ERA across his first 11 starts. So what's the problem? Actually, there isn’t one. If anything, Lohse's skills are a bit stronger than usual, so now would be the time to buy low. Lohse is sitting on the highest strikeout rate of his career and his swinging strike rate matches his career best mark. With a BB/K split of 15/51 in 62 innings, it's doubtful he can keep it at that level all season, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his stuff. Lohse is allowing just a few more base runners than usual, but far too many of them are coming around to score. His extremely low strand rate of 56% is due for a major correction, which should help his ERA immensely. Lohse has made a habit of posting an ERA well below his xERA, but so far this year, the tables have turned on him. His surface numbers are quite ugly right now, but his skills are pretty much in line with those he's displayed in the past. We can almost guarantee that Gibson’s ERA will regress significantly while Lohse’s will improve significantly over the next couple of months. We’ll put both to the test here.

TORONTO -1½ +155 over Houston
The Astros have struck out an incredible 507 times. That’s 100 more strikeouts than the Blue Jays and 200 more than the Royals. Houston’s team batting average of .236 is second last in the majors, ahead of only the Brewers. That should bode well for Aaron Sanchez and his filthy stuff. Sanchez’s only problem is control but these Astros have never seen a pitch they didn’t like. Sanchez has walked 37 batters in 58 innings but has only allowed 52 hits for an oppBA of .245. At home, Sanchez has allowed just 22 hits in 31.2 innings for an oppBA of .204. His 58%/20%/22% groundball/line-drive/fly-ball split is one of the better batted ball profiles in the entire league. Regardless of the pitch he uses, Sanchez induces weak contact. Aaron Sanchez is a tweak away from becoming a truly dominant starter and based on his skills, one has to like his chances of dominating this lineup.

The Astros have won five of Roberto Hernandez’s last seven starts. That has this stiff very overvalued. The only reason the Astronauts won those games is because they scored 14, 7, 6, 6 and 10 runs respectively. Hernandez has been tagged for 17 hits and 12 runs over his last two starts covering 10.2 frames. When he faced Toronto back on May 14 in Houston, he did not strike out a single batter and was taken deep twice. Over his last five starts, Hernandez has a BB/K split of 9/13 over 31 innings. Hernandez, a 10-year veteran, has become a prototypical innings eater. His only value is when he’s a significant dog against a weaker pitcher than he is. His 4½% swing and miss rate over his last four starts is further proof that he’s not missing many bats. The Rogers Center is not a place you want to put balls in play at but it’s something that is unavoidable for Hernandez (a.k.a Fausto Carmona). Those Fausto’s days are long gone and so are most of his skills.

Great write ups as usual. I was almost sure the Cubs would blow their lead last night and still might have if not for the great pick-off to end the game. Cubs are just very poor hitting with RISP and the loss of Soler only further weakens their lineup. When Junior Lake is your cleanup hitter, you're probably in trouble. Conversely, the Nationals lineup is improved with Rendon who looked good at the plate on his first game back. I've been tailing your plays consistently but very hard for me to back my Cubs twice in a row on the road.

I know you used advanced pitching stats to help make your plays but aren't you a bit concerned about backing Lohse who has given up 17 hits and 11 runs with 3 homers in his last two starts which went 3.1 and 5.1 innings respectively ?

Thanks for all the effort you put in and good luck.

Tokens
Sherwood.... I admire your patience Sir. You continue to post such reasonable and valuable information… even amidst all the horse crap posted here daily.

Can’t say much more as I was muzzled for telling the truth recently. Made a good example to discipline me though.

Seems to me it violates the posted requirements of the forum….. to steer people toward “chasing” into a brick wall….. or posting huge and unreasonable size plays. Isn’t posting a crazy big ignorant amount the same as labeling something a LOCK…. I think so. Certainly labeling something a “can’t miss” would qualify as a problem.

Anyway….. Sherwood you are a powerful man! I saw some worm-puss on here the other day being critical of you. Keep up the good work!

Tokens
Great write ups as usual. I was almost sure the Cubs would blow their lead last night and still might have if not for the great pick-off to end the game. Cubs are just very poor hitting with RISP and the loss of Soler only further weakens their lineup. When Junior Lake is your cleanup hitter, you're probably in trouble. Conversely, the Nationals lineup is improved with Rendon who looked good at the plate on his first game back. I've been tailing your plays consistently but very hard for me to back my Cubs twice in a row on the road.

I know you used advanced pitching stats to help make your plays but aren't you a bit concerned about backing Lohse who has given up 17 hits and 11 runs with 3 homers in his last two starts which went 3.1 and 5.1 innings respectively ?

Thanks for all the effort you put in and good luck.

Thanks for adding to the thread CUBS. I looked at Lohse hard and long and I'm not that concerned about his last two starts because one was in Arizona and the other was at home against the hot road-hitting Giants. If you look at his two starts before that, Lohse went 14 innings combined against the Tigers and Mets and allowed just 2 runs on 9 hits. He's somewhere in-between those last four starts but he's not an all or nothing pitcher either. Lohse has almost always given his team a chance to win for years and I'm confident of a big ERA regression for him. His underlying stats are pretty good and certainly better than Gibson's. Best of luck CUBSfan

Tokens
Sherwood.... I admire your patience Sir. You continue to post such reasonable and valuable information… even amidst all the horse crap posted here daily.

Can’t say much more as I was muzzled for telling the truth recently. Made a good example to discipline me though.

Seems to me it violates the posted requirements of the forum….. to steer people toward “chasing” into a brick wall….. or posting huge and unreasonable size plays. Isn’t posting a crazy big ignorant amount the same as labeling something a LOCK…. I think so. Certainly labeling something a “can’t miss” would qualify as a problem.

Anyway….. Sherwood you are a powerful man! I saw some worm-puss on here the other day being critical of you. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Packer, it's messages like yours that are way more valuable to me than the naysayers or haters. A few negative comments from time to time comes with the territory so I generally ignore them. You know, if you can't take the heat......

Anyway, the positive comments and good people far outweigh the negativity and it's for that reason that I'll always enjoy posting here and staying connected to all the good folks. Peace Brother and BEST OF LUCK!

Tokens

seems like there wasn't near this much trolling in the baseball forum last year

Banned
Tokens
Twins have been God's gift to bases dog-lovers this year
Feels almost like a jinx to back them as faves however. Hope they lose for ya

Tokens
good luck you did forget to mention that the Astros lead the American League and have the 2 best record in baseball It is hard to believe with all the strike outs but the homers come through for them I watch almost every game and am amazed with there record This is a good spot for you here

Tokens
If you play almost exclusively on the +(plus) side, it is very hard to lose the #'s game at an aggressive rate. It is a good way to stop a bad run and it's always nice to have the math work for you. Good luck.

Also like some of those tidbits of info. I'll check you out in the future.:103631605

Tokens
Thanks for adding to the thread CUBS. I looked at Lohse hard and long and I'm not that concerned about his last two starts because one was in Arizona and the other was at home against the hot road-hitting Giants. If you look at his two starts before that, Lohse went 14 innings combined against the Tigers and Mets and allowed just 2 runs on 9 hits. He's somewhere in-between those last four starts but he's not an all or nothing pitcher either. Lohse has almost always given his team a chance to win for years and I'm confident of a big ERA regression for him. His underlying stats are pretty good and certainly better than Gibson's. Best of luck CUBSfan

Thanks for the reply. Lohse was a pretty solid starter his last two years in St. Louis and also in 2013 and 14 with the Brewers. In looking at his career stats, I hadn't realized he's been pitching in the majors since 2001. I'm riding with you so let's hope he has a good outing or at least one that's better than Gibson's.

I've been a Cubs fan since I was 6, and I'm 53 now so it's been a tough half century. I really think the Cubs are going to be very good as Rizzo and Bryant are perennial all star caliber players, and the starting pitching looks pretty good. Wada has looked good in a very short sample size and Hendricks looks like a poor man's Greg Maddux to me, which would still make him a quality back of the rotation guy.
I think Russell has a very bright future too, but Castro is just average imo. He had a chance to break the game open in the first yesterday and I just could see the double play he hit into coming. He's hitting .234 with RISP and .167 with RISP and two outs. He certainly doesn't inspire confidence in key situations, nor do many Cub hitters other than Russo and Bryant. Hopefully Soler and Baez fulfill their potential, as that would dramatically change the look of the Cubs offense.

I know several others have supported you when a few idiots made some stupid comments, but I just want to add how sound your logic is. Whether it's baseball strategy or poker or investing, you want to put the odds in your favor as best you can, and it will be the right play longer term. Going all in pre-flop with pocket aces may not always work out, but it's still a strong play. A manager who brings in a tough lefty out of the bullpen to face a left handed batter doesn't always work out either, but the odds tell you it's the right call.

Good Luck tonight and the rest of the way.

Tokens
goodluck Sherwood, we are on the same side with Jays and Cubbies tonight. I think with the Jays starting pitching starting to come around (except for Dickey) they can make a run at the division here, it seems like its up for grabs. I threw a few bucks on them to win the world series at 50-1 odds at Venetian the other day. I don't see any dominant AL teams at all out there and obviously would be a good hedge if they got that far.

Tokens
goodluck Sherwood, we are on the same side with Jays and Cubbies tonight. I think with the Jays starting pitching starting to come around (except for Dickey) they can make a run at the division here, it seems like its up for grabs. I threw a few bucks on them to win the world series at 50-1 odds at Venetian the other day. I don't see any dominant AL teams at all out there and obviously would be a good hedge if they got that far.

Solid play at 50-1 Vancouver. Great find. They can win the East but at the very least they should be in it all year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bodyhealthtechofficia
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com