Surprising teams & regressions - some thoughts on the 2015 season

Search

Tokens
Hello guys. Let me introduce myself: I am a 25-year-old passioned NFL follower & handicapper from Germany. I have been posting across the street for the whole 2014 season and went 83-51 (62%) along with 4-1 on my so called "big plays". I am addicted to talking about the NFL and I am just looking for another forum to talk about football. IMO every useful discussion makes everyone better when evaluating games/picks. The summer is so boring sports-wise. I do research about the upcoming season almost every day and would love to start some good discussions on here. To start, here are some quick thoughts about teams that might surprise and teams that should regress. For example, the Jets will automatically finish much better than 4-12, but I want to focus on teams that might not be too obvious. Btw, I am a Jets fan and a numbers-guy. I will have a Jets thread as well.

Teams that will surprise:

Miami Dolphins
- stacked offense with an underrated Ryan Tannehill and a receiving corps of DeVante Parker, my favorite WR in the draft, Jarvis Landry, Greg Jennings, Kenny Stills & Jordan Cameron. A Dolphins expert I always listen to, told me that Dion Sims is also a very talented TE. Their o-line will play much better when Pouncey and Albert keep staying healthy. When both were healthy, Ryan Tannehill had his best games and was torching opposing secondaries (GB,CHI,JAX,SD,DET). Crazy d-line with Suh, Vernon & Wake - they will create a lot of pressure. All-Pro Wake had 12 sacks, 14 hits and 39 hurries in 2014. They've got a slight weakness on the LB position but overall they are a clear playoff team. In the middle of last season they had the best defense in the league before getting into a downward spiral along with the absence of Branden Albert.

Minnesota Vikings - They were not the media hyped team in 2014. They have been building a great defense. They had a very solid front seven and Xavier Rhodes finished as a top-10 CB in 2014 and they just added Trae Waynes into a very good CB-developmental system. Erik Kendricks will be a starter on ILB and Danielle Hunter could develop in the DE-rotation. Chad Greenway had some injury troubles last season. Teddy Bridgewater faced one of the biggest pressure from opposing d-lines of all QBs due to bad o-line play and he was just great. According to PFF, he finished as the BEST QB under pressure and he had a below-average receiving corps. Vikes added OT T.J. Clemmings in the fourth round who could have left the board much higher. They added a deep threat in Mike Wallace, Charles Johnson showed some good signs with his 15.3 yards per reception but he needs to develop his catching ability. Adrian Peterson comes back and gives Teddy another option in the passing game: AP caught 75.3% of his targets since 2009. I don't really care about the running game, but the Vikes may have the best tandem in the league. Jerick McKinnon averaged 4.9 YPC last season. The Vikes' red zone offense is gonna be very good. They won't beat the Packers but they will finish 2nd in the division and will have a good shot at reaching the playoffs.

St. Louis Rams: The Rams' opponents have scored 19.7% of their points on defense or special teams. 19.7%!!! That was by far the worst number in the league. The Redskins have been second with 11.2%. It is also the 3rd-worst number since 2003, only the 2004 Dolphins and 2008 Vikings were worse. They were up 21-0 against the Cowboys, 14-0 against the Niners. Lost both. They were up 14-10 against the Cardinals heading into the fourth quarter, before turning the ball over three times. They rallied against the Chargers and Shaun Hill threw an INT from the SD 4-yard-line with 1.27min left on the clock when the score was 24-27. They totally smacked the Eagles, but gave up 14 points on a blocked punt return and fumble return. Lost 28-34. They could have been 10-6 rather than 6-10 in 2014. They had a big problem to finish games, just like in the game at Arizona. Now they got Nick Foles, a better running game for short downs and red zone opportunities, added Nick Fairley to their already strong d-line and upgraded their o-line with developmental boys. Aaron Donald finished as the DROY and a Pro-Bowler in his rookie season. To combine him with Chris Long, Robert Quinn and Nick Fairley in a 4-3 isn't fair. They are gonna be a nightmare matchup for several teams.

Atlanta Falcons: 2014: Bottom-five in pass rush and pass coverage. No running game to support Matt Ryan on short downs. They did solve a lot. First of all they got the defensive mastermind from Seattle as their head coach: Dan Quinn. Their first five draft picks were "bulls eye". OLB Vic Beasley from one of the best college defenses in Clemson, CB Jalen Collins from LSU, a guy I really liked to watch on Saturday. RB Tevin Coleman who could be the immediate starter and bring some new explosiveness. DT Grady Jarrett was a steal in the 5th round and WR Justin Hardy joins from a very lethal passing attack from ECU. He will need some time to develop into an NFL system and to play against NFL defenses. He didn't face the greatest competition in the AAC. The defense will be much better due to the draft improvements and the new system by Dan Quinn. The offense was already top-ten material and they added Hankerson (solid when healthy), Hardy and Coleman. Their TE play will still be questionable, so we might see some more multi-WR sets and get Coleman involved on screens. Due to the improved defense and RB play they take pressure off Matt Ryan so we should see some more Matty Ice situations in 2015. They have improved a lot and they are my favorite to win the division.

Teams which will regress or finish much worse than in 2014:

New England Patriots: They lost four important players from last year: Revis, Browner, Arrington & Wilfork. They were one of the best coverage teams in the league and they lost all three CBs. Remember they held the Colts to just three TDs in two games. Revis had his island and Kyle Arrington shut down T.Y. Hilton in the slot. The Colts' TEs collected 48% of the receiving yards in those two games.
They play the Bills, Jets & Dolphins who all have upgraded defenses and have one heck of a pass rush - exactly what Tom Brady doesn't like. Remember the Jets were weak last season and Rex Ryan forced two close ones. Jets & Dolphins improved on both sides of the ball while the already defensive stacked Bills got Rex Ryan. I can see the Pats going 3-3 or 2-4 within the division. @Dallas, @Denver, @Indy, @Houston and the three road games against phenomenal defenses within the division. This could be the toughest road schedule of all teams. 8-8 isn't impossible.

Detroit Lions: They have been over-achieving in close games and had the best DT-tandem in the league with Suh and Fairley. They are both gone so the pressure is on their backfield. They don't have a deep rotation on DE. They will look much worse on defense. On the offensive side of the ball they have one of the youngest o-line in the league. Only Ramirez is a veteran. They will still score often but will have their problems against good pass defenses or teams that can torch them through the air. Chargers, Vikes, Broncos, Seahawks. Heck, I could see them start 0-4 into the season. They will battle for the third place in the division.

Cleveland Browns: 7-9 record in 2014. The reason they won 7 games? Solid pass protection, game-managing by Brian Hoyer, best pass coverage in the league and a little bit of Jordan Cameron & Josh Gordon (5 games). When they faced some good pass-defending teams: 7 vs HOU, 21 & 10 vs. BLT, 10 vs. BUF. Brian Hoyer is gone, Jordan Cameron is gone and Josh Gordon is suspended. Buster Skrine left the secondary, but Tramon Williams and "Ifo" could make the loss acceptable. Their offense is the worst in the league on paper. Johnny Manziel, Josh McCown or Connor Shaw with that kind of a receiving corps? Have fun. I would want to watch the rehab of C Alex Mack closely. They drafted Cam Erving for a possible departure of Mack in 2016. The Browns in 2014 with Alex Mack: 6 sacks in 5 games. Without him: 25 sacks in 11 games. There schedule is very scary: Four games against the AFC East, Six games against Cincy, Balt & Pitts, four games against the AFC West, Seahawks & Rams. The Browns are my favorite team to hold the number one pick in the 2016 draft.

Tokens
The off season guides are pretty helpful I find to value the teams and measure vs each other when making picks.

I read the Lindy's NFL guide every yr. They grade all the teams in total and by unit. I put it all into Excel to get an idea of overall and the units vs each other for each game. It can show obvious mismatches too ie where a lower graded team is favored before getting into all the stats.

Anyway it looks like you have done similar research w some source.

Tokens
giants--eli had a great year last year and that was with a bad o-line and 1st year of new offense. if giants d can play even halfway decent they get a wild card or the division.

49ers--low hanging fruit here but obviously will regress even more so than last yr. absolutely no leadership on this team (coaching staff or players)

agree with dolphins

seahawks--will be lucky to get wild card. az wins that division. going to the sb two years in a row takes alot out of a team. not only that, but wilson no contract (he's overrated anyway). lynch (how many more miles does he have left?) defense continues to get poached in free agency. they will be a good fade most of the yr IMO

agree with pats regression take

az--think they win the division this yr and since they used up all their bad luck last yr they should go deep into playoffs.

Banned
Tokens
The Dolphs are good, but they had better be great with their schedule. Only 3 of their 1st 11 games are at home.
Chiefs are in a similar situation. Only 3 of their first 10 games are at home.
Both teams suffer with the dreaded London "Home" game.

Handicapper
Tokens
Suuma,
I have been handicapping the NFL all off-season as well but take a different approach. Instead of trying to determine which teams will surprise and which teams will regress, I start every team out with the same 0.0 power rating and let the season unfold, that way I’m not stuck on thinking this team was supposed to be better or this team was supposed to be worse. That seems to work for me.

Big Lou

Tokens
The off season guides are pretty helpful I find to value the teams and measure vs each other when making picks.

I read the Lindy's NFL guide every yr. They grade all the teams in total and by unit. I put it all into Excel to get an idea of overall and the units vs each other for each game. It can show obvious mismatches too ie where a lower graded team is favored before getting into all the stats.

Anyway it looks like you have done similar research w some source.

Hey jgm, don't know which guides do you mean. I am looking at how teams have adressed their personnel via free agency and draft to be good at categories that are important to win (many) games.

Tokens
giants--eli had a great year last year and that was with a bad o-line and 1st year of new offense. if giants d can play even halfway decent they get a wild card or the division.

49ers--low hanging fruit here but obviously will regress even more so than last yr. absolutely no leadership on this team (coaching staff or players)

agree with dolphins

seahawks--will be lucky to get wild card. az wins that division. going to the sb two years in a row takes alot out of a team. not only that, but wilson no contract (he's overrated anyway). lynch (how many more miles does he have left?) defense continues to get poached in free agency. they will be a good fade most of the yr IMO

az--think they win the division this yr and since they used up all their bad luck last yr they should go deep into playoffs.

I disagree on the Giants. The o-line has been bad, but it's still bad, maybe worse than last year. Will Beatty is out for the whole season, so Ereck Flowers has to plug in at LT to protect Eli Mannings' blind side. It isn't going to work as he obviously lacks pass protection. Just watch his footwork on passing plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LiEjIjIZ64 - the Giants wanted to develop him on a different position. The Cowboys will have a significantly improved pass rush, even if Greg Hardys suspension holds on. There is a chance Hardy can start in week one so the Giants would face one heck of a pass rush in weeks 1 and 7.The Eagles have a very strong front seven and the Redskins also adressed their pass defense (Culliver and getting Hall back). In addition, they face the three pass-rush monsters from the AFC East: Fins, Jets, Bills. How will Flowers handle those flying DE's from the edge? The Falcons also improved their defense significantly, they will visit the Giants in week 2. Cowboys, Falcons, Redskins and Bills during the first four weeks - I wouldn't wonder if the Giants start 1-3.

On defense, the Giants get Amukamara and McBride back healthy, and replaced Rolle with a solid safety from Bama in Collins but their secondary as a whole is one serious injury away from being a weak one once again.

The Giants have no shot at winning their division unless Tony Romo gets injured for a major part of the season. The Cowboys will crush everything on offense and will also have a much better defense, they are going to take the division very easily. The Giants will be in big troubles with that o-line and will have a very hard time getting a wild card ticket.

Tokens

agree with dolphins

I am not completely sold out on the Cardinals. I like Carson Palmer in that situation, but the Cardinals had a huge turnover advantage last season. They were outgained in a lot of games they won. Their defense is still good but they take a step back without Cromartie and Bowles. Their o-line got a nice addition in Mike Iupati, Carson Palmer should benefit, but their WR corps is still missing some quality and depth.

The Rams will be very strong this year while I also believe the Seahawks will have problems with that offensive line. The NFC West is gonna be very interesting.

Tokens
Suuma,
I have been handicapping the NFL all off-season as well but take a different approach. Instead of trying to determine which teams will surprise and which teams will regress, I start every team out with the same 0.0 power rating and let the season unfold, that way I’m not stuck on thinking this team was supposed to be better or this team was supposed to be worse. That seems to work for me.

Big Lou

Interesting approach. What is your power rating about?

I am not just looking which teams will surprise or regress, those above are just a few teams which should be very interesting to watch next season.

Tokens
Hey jgm, don't know which guides do you mean. I am looking at how teams have adressed their personnel via free agency and draft to be good at categories that are important to win (many) games.

Hi Suuma,

The guides are annual magazines some companies publish every year for Ex Lindy's Pro Football Guide 2015. They are usually published in June and have a preview of each team after most of FA and the draft, draft section, schedules, other features etc.

Lindy's is good because they rate each unit out of 10 as well as an overall grade for each team. Here is their link

http://store.lindyssports.com/product.php?cn=1110

Tokens
welcome.this is one of the best offseason write ups ive read. great job, keep working!

do you do the Supercontest?

Tokens
Hi Suuma,

The guides are annual magazines some companies publish every year for Ex Lindy's Pro Football Guide 2015. They are usually published in June and have a preview of each team after most of FA and the draft, draft section, schedules, other features etc.

Lindy's is good because they rate each unit out of 10 as well as an overall grade for each team. Here is their link

http://store.lindyssports.com/product.php?cn=1110

Thanks for the heads-up, jgm!

Tokens
welcome.this is one of the best offseason write ups ive read. great job, keep working!

do you do the Supercontest?

Thanks, Defying. After your comment I checked it out. It's the Westgate Football Supercontest, isn't it? I will think about it.

Banned
Tokens
Carson Palmer is an injury waiting to happen. Palmer is basically the key to the Cards offense. Last season the Cards averaged 26 ppg with him, and 15 ppg without him. He also averaged 1.5 turnovers/game in 2012 and 2013. I'll take my chances with Nick Foles and the Rams, who have one of the best defenses in the NFL. They finish 1 or 2 in the NFC West.

Tokens
I agree with your view on the Cardinals....good coach, but they never have a running game and Carson Palmer has glass knees. They lose their defensive guru, and besides their secondary and head coach nothing else on that team is above average. I like Larry Fitzgerald, but his status as an elite game breaker is now over. I see them winning 8 or 9 games.

One team I like that not many others are high on is the Eagles. I think their defense is improved,....I'd like to think that their secondary will be better this year with new players/coaches there and that their offensive system will put points on the board regardless of who plays qb. I always keep in mind that Kelly has made Sanchez look like a reasonable NFL quarterback, something that I never thought could/would happen. They got rid of some loser mentality players and have in some cases, opted for integrity over talent. I love how they are better conditioned than their opponents and how great Kelly's team have historically played on the road. I am considering betting them either over RSW or to win their division. I'm in the minority there as I haven't seen many positive predictions from preseason pundits...that's how I like it. Their season win total now is at + money, so I am considering.

Tokens
Carson Palmer is an injury waiting to happen. Palmer is basically the key to the Cards offense. Last season the Cards averaged 26 ppg with him, and 15 ppg without him. He also averaged 1.5 turnovers/game in 2012 and 2013. I'll take my chances with Nick Foles and the Rams, who have one of the best defenses in the NFL. They finish 1 or 2 in the NFC West.

Cannot agree more :103631605

I like the Cardinals with Palmer, but I think they overachieved a little bit.

Tokens
I agree with your view on the Cardinals....good coach, but they never have a running game and Carson Palmer has glass knees. They lose their defensive guru, and besides their secondary and head coach nothing else on that team is above average. I like Larry Fitzgerald, but his status as an elite game breaker is now over. I see them winning 8 or 9 games.

One team I like that not many others are high on is the Eagles. I think their defense is improved,....I'd like to think that their secondary will be better this year with new players/coaches there and that their offensive system will put points on the board regardless of who plays qb. I always keep in mind that Kelly has made Sanchez look like a reasonable NFL quarterback, something that I never thought could/would happen. They got rid of some loser mentality players and have in some cases, opted for integrity over talent. I love how they are better conditioned than their opponents and how great Kelly's team have historically played on the road. I am considering betting them either over RSW or to win their division. I'm in the minority there as I haven't seen many positive predictions from preseason pundits...that's how I like it. Their season win total now is at + money, so I am considering.

Some really good points. I think it's gonna be an interesting fight for the wild card spot in the NFC East. My problem with the Eagles: They couldn't beat a tough defense. 14 points and 139 total yards against the Seahawks, ZERO, yes ZERO offensive points against the Niners, 20 offensive points against the Rams. This year they face the Jets, Dolphins, Bills & an improved Dallas defense twice but once with Hardy and McClain in the lineup. Their schedule is not an easy one, so I can hardly see them improve their record from last season.

Tokens
Enjoyed reading your post.
NFL can not get here soon enough

Im with you in regards to the Dolphins
Progression is a word I like to use to describe Tannehill
year after year he gets better.

In addition, I think Kansas City dethrones Denver this year.
Im a believer in Andy Reid.

Tokens
Interesting point about the Eagles,...may cause me to not pull the trigger on them, and Bradford is a HUGE question mark. I got the impression that he didn't like football too much in his time with the Rams and he attracted his knee injuries as a way of getting out of playing.

Moneycrow, I think you're right about KC, if they can figure out how to get the ball to a wide receiver in the end zone, I think they take the division.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnthonyPoi
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com