Ranking The NBA's #1 Overall Picks The Last 25 Years (Rank Your Top 5)

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Ranking the No. 1 picks of the past 25 years

Chad Ford, ESPN Senior Writer
ESPN INSIDER

The NBA draft will take place on Thursday, and for the first time in history theMinnesota Timberwolves will have the first overall selection.
Certainly the biggest debate, and hype, centers on who should be the No. 1 pick.
And for good reason. Some of the greatest players to ever play the game -- Tim Duncan, LeBron James, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Elgin Baylor, Oscar Robertson, Hakeem Olajuwon -- have been No. 1 overall picks.

But being No. 1 isn't a guaranteed path to stardom. Look at Kwame Brown,Michael Olowokandi and Greg Oden. In fact, about half of the No. 1 picks in the past 25 years haven't worked out too well for their teams. And even out of all the successful picks, only one has led the team that drafted him to an NBA title.
Where do players like Duncan, LeBron, Kwame and Oden rank? Here's a look at the best and worst No. 1 picks over the past 25 years. Every ranking has its own criteria.
I'm focusing on the value that player gave the franchise that drafted him -- not necessarily what the player accomplished over his entire career. For example,Chris Webber had a great career, but he didn't do much for the Golden State Warriors, who traded for him on draft night. I also am factoring in the quality of the draft each year and whether a team passed on a better player.

i

1. Tim Duncan, F/C
School: Wake Forest
Drafted: Spurs, 1997
18 seasons with San Antonio, two MVPs, five NBA championships

James might be the best player in the world, but no one has done more for the team that drafted him than Duncan. He has averaged 19 points and 11 rebounds per game over that career, with an average PER of 24.5. He is a two-time league MVP and three-time NBA Finals MVP. And he's regarded by many as the greatest power forward to ever play the game. Greatest draft pick in the past 25 years? It's hard to argue against Duncan.
<offer style="box-sizing: border-box;"></offer>

i

2. LeBron James, SF
School: High school
Drafted: Cavaliers, 2003
Eight seasons with Cleveland, two MVPs, two Finals appearances

James is chasing Michael Jordan to be the greatest to ever play the game. That's how special he's been over the past 12 seasons.

His numbers have been staggering: 27.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 6.9 assists per game over his career. His career PER is a whopping 27.7. As good as Duncan is, James is even better as a basketball player.
Two things drop James down this list. The first is that he spent four seasons of his prime in Miami, leaving the Cavs in an epic breakup that critically wounded the franchise. Second is LeBron's inability to deliver a title to the Cavs. Yes, he has won two championships, but both of them have been in Miami.
He's taken the Cavs to the Finals twice, but the lack of a strong supporting cast (in this season's case, an injured supporting cast) has kept him from delivering a trophy. He still has time to overtake Duncan, but he'll need a few titles in Cleveland to do it.

i

3. Anthony Davis, F/C
School: Kentucky
Drafted: Pelicans, 2012
Three seasons with New Orleans

I know, I know, Davis has played just three seasons in the league. The Pelicans have made the playoffs just once. But it speaks to how special Davis is that he already is at No. 3 on this list. Davis has averaged 19.7 points, 9.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game. His PER over that three-year span is a 26.8. He's already one of the best defenders in the league, and you can argue that he's already one of the five best players in the NBA. Assuming he stays in New Orleans and the Pelicans get some help around him, he has the chance to win several MVPs and lead the Pelicans to a lot of titles during the next decade.

366.jpg

4. Allen Iverson, G
School: Georgetown
Drafted: 76ers, 1996
12 seasons with Philadelphia, one MVP, one Finals appearance

Iverson was an icon for much of his career in Philadelphia. He was an elite, albeit inefficient, scorer who played the bulk of his career in Philly while averaging 27.6 points and 6.2 assists per game with a 21.5 PER. Iverson won a league MVP award and led Philly to one Finals appearance. The problem with Iverson is twofold. As such he was a ball-dominant guard, it was tough to find players to complement him. He also wasn't exactly easy to manage. And as good as he was, he wasn't the best player in the draft that year. That honor goes toKobe Bryant, who was drafted 13th by the Hornets and then traded to the Lakers. If Kobe had gone No. 1, he would have landed at No. 3 on this list, behind Duncan and LeBron.

i

5. Shaquille O'Neal, C
School: LSU
Drafted: Magic, 1992
Four seasons with Orlando, one Finals appearance

Shaq was the most dominant center in his era and one of the best big men to ever play the game. For his career, he averaged 24.3 PPG, 11.6 RPG and 2.1 BPG. He won four NBA titles, was the Finals MVP three times and claimed the league MVP trophy once. Unfortunately for the Magic, O'Neal played just four years in Orlando and did not win any of those awards while playing with the Magic. He was awesome while he was there, averaging 27 PPG and reaching the Finals in 1995. He and Penny Hardaway put the Magic on the map. But his departure to the Lakers really hurt the franchise and left the Magic in turmoil until Dwight Howard arrived in 2004.

i

6. Blake Griffin, PF
School: Oklahoma
Drafted: Clippers, 2009
Five seasons with Los Angeles

Griffin has played just five seasons with the Clippers (he missed his rookie year with an injury) and already has established himself as one of the 10 best players in the league. Griffin has averaged 21.5 points, 9.7 rebounds and four assists per game in L.A. and enjoys a 22.8 PER. He is one of the hardest workers in the game, and he's no longer just an elite athlete with a terrific NBA body. The only knock against Griffin here is that he didn't turn out to be the best player in the 2009 draft. That would be Stephen Curry. As long as Griffin stays healthy and remains in L.A., he has a chance to pass both Shaq and Iverson on this board someday -- especially if he can deliver a title.

i

7. Dwight Howard, C
School: high school
Drafted: Magic, 2004
Eight seasons with Orlando, one Finals appearance

Howard has been one of the best big men in the game over the past decade, averaging 18.3 points, 12.9 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game in his career, while posting a 22 PER. Howard helped carry the Magic to six playoff appearances, the Eastern Conference finals in 2010 and the NBA Finals in 2009. He was defensive player of the year three times in Orlando. The Magic traded him to the Lakers after his eighth season when it became clear he would leave the team in free agency. The trade, once again, devastated the Magic.

i

8. Derrick Rose, PG
School: Memphis
Drafted: Bulls, 2008
Six seasons with Chicago, one MVP

Three seasons ago, Rose was on a trajectory to make the top five here. He had just won the league MVP and the Bulls looked like they would be perennial Finals contenders. However, serious injuries have put a major damper on his career since then, and his future is still very much in doubt. During Rose's MVP season, he averaged 25 points and 7.7 assists per game and had a 23.5 PER.
His production has dropped since he tore his ACL in Game 1 of the 2012 playoffs. He missed the 2012-13 season entirely. He played in just 10 games in 2013-14 before tearing his meniscus in his right knee. And he appeared in just 55 games this past season. Rose still has time to return to form, despite much skepticism. Nevertheless, Rose is one of the most talented players to go No. 1 in the past 25 years and has meant a lot to his hometown Bulls.

i

9. Yao Ming, C
Drafted: Rockets, 2002
Eight seasons with Houston

Yao was a franchise-changer for the Rockets, and he was terrific when healthy, averaging 21 points, 10.2 rebounds and 2.1 blocks with a 23 PER during his eight seasons in Houston. Alas, health issues kept Yao from becoming all he could be. He was out for 25 games in 2005-06, 34 games in 2006-07 and 27 games in 2007-08. And he missed the 2009-10 season completely and played in just five games in 2010 before retiring. The heavy load he had to carry playing for the Chinese National Team in the summer contributed to his shortened career. While Yao had a major cultural impact on the court, he never led the Rockets out of the first round of the playoffs.

i

10. John Wall, PG
Drafted: Wizards, 2010
Five seasons with Washington

Wall has been much maligned in his NBA career. But much of the criticism doesn't make any real sense. Injuries slowed him down early, but he's been terrific the past three seasons, averaging a double-double of 17.6 points and 10 assists per game this year. His career PER is 18.7, and he's a two-time All-Star. Wall hasn't won an MVP or led his team to the Finals, but the Wizards are getting better and should be poised to make a run in the next few years.

i

11. Kyrie Irving, PG
School: Duke
Drafted: Cavaliers, 2011
Four seasons with Cleveland, one Finals appearance

You could list Wall and Irving as 10a and 10b. Irving has been remarkably consistent offensively, averaging a 21 PER through four seasons to go along with 21 points and 5.2 assists per game. Irving is the better offensive player of the two. He's a better shooter and a more consistent scorer. Wall is the better passer and defender. Both should be All-Stars for years to come. Given that Irving has LeBron as his teammate, he's the one most likely to win a couple of NBA titles.

i

12. Andrew Wiggins, G/F
School: Kansas
Drafted: Timberwolves, 2014
One season with Minnesota

Wiggins has had a wild two years. He came to Kansas hyped as a once-in-a-decade prospect, but he struggled at times and was savaged by some scouts. He still went No. 1 overall before being traded from Cleveland to Minnesota in the preseason. After a slow start, he was name rookie of the year, thanks to averages of 20 points and 4.9 rebounds after the All-Star break. He's clearly just scratching the surface. On sheer athletic talent, he has the potential to become both an elite scorer and defender and move into the top four. But he's going to have to improve his 3-point shooting and handle to get there.

20129.jpg

13. Karl-Anthony Towns, F/C
Drafted: ???
Projected No. 1 pick for 2015

Projecting Towns before he has even played a game in the NBA (before he's even been drafted, mind you) is a nearly impossible task. Who knows what he'll look like in the NBA. So much of a player's success has to do with the situation he's put in (coaching, fit with offensive and defensive schemes, opportunity), and we don't know any of that. However, based on the scouting and analytics, Towns projects as a future All-Star and perhaps a future top-10 player in the NBA. He has that sort of talent. If he reaches his potential (and sticks around Minnesota with Wiggins), I could see him landing in the top five or six here.

717.jpg

14. Glenn Robinson, F
School: Purdue
Drafted: Bucks 1994
Eight seasons with Milwaukee

Robinson played eight seasons in Milwaukee, averaging 20.7 points and 6.1 rebounds per game with a 17.8 PER. He was a scoring machine, but other than that he was pretty one-dimensional. The Bucks made the playoffs just three of those seasons and only got out of the first round once. Robinson was traded to the Hawks for Toni Kukoc, Leon Smith and a 2003 first-round pick (which turned out to be T.J. Ford). While Robinson was solid, he never had the impact of several other players in his draft class, including No. 2 pick Jason Kidd.

mlb_g_lj33_cr_65x90.jpg

15. Larry Johnson, PF
School: UNLV
Drafted: Hornets, 1991
Five seasons with Charlotte

Johnson was a stud in teal for the Hornets for five seasons, averaging 19.6 points, and 9.2 rebounds per game and posting a PER of 18.4 before he was traded to the Knicks for Brad Lohaus and Anthony Mason. He made two All-Star teams and two playoff appearances in Charlotte.

i

16. Andrew Bogut, C
School: Utah
Drafted: Bucks, 2005
Seven seasons with Milwaukee

Bogut was drafted by the Bucks after a stellar sophomore season at Utah over the likes of Chris Paul and Deron Williams. In his seven seasons with the Bucks, he averaged 14 points, 10.3 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game with a 17 PER and, surprisingly, became a real defensive force in the middle. After breaking his hand and dislocating his right elbow in 2010, he was never quite the same, and the Bucks ended up trading him, along with Stephen Jackson, to the Warriors for Monta Ellis, Kwame Brown and Ekpe Udoh.

i

17. Kenyon Martin, PF
School: Cincinnati
Drafted: Nets, 2000
Four seasons with New Jersey, two Finals appearances

Martin was the No. 1 pick for one of the worst draft classes in NBA history. Mike Miller and Michael Redd were probably the best players to come out of the class, and Martin likely placed third behind them. He was a solid player during his four seasons in New Jersey, averaging 15.1 points and 7.6 rebounds per game, while posting a 15.9 PER. He was traded for three first-round draft picks, which wound up being Joey Graham, Renaldo Balkman and Marcus Williams. Yeah, it wasn't pretty.

i

18. Elton Brand, F/C
School: Duke
Drafted: Bulls, 1999
Two seasons with Chicago

Brand has had a long and fruitful career in the NBA, averaging 16.1 points and 8.6 rebounds per game with a career 20.6 PER during his 16 seasons in the league. Unfortunately for the Bulls, he played just his first two seasons in Chicago in the era directly after Michael Jordan's retirement. As solid as Brand was, he wasn't able to help the Bulls win games. Chicago finished with the worst record in the NBA during both seasons he was there.

i

19. Joe Smith, PF
School: Maryland
Drafted: Warriors, 1995
Two and half seasons with Golden State

Still reeling from the Chris Webber disaster (see Webber at No. 24 for details), the Warriors went after a completely different type of player in Smith in 1995. While Webber was all about ego, Smith was egoless. It also turned out that he wasn't nearly the basketball player Webber was. Smith lasted just two and half seasons in Golden State, averaging a career-best 17 points and 8.2 rebounds with a PER of 16.3. At the trade deadline in 1998, he was sent to the 76ers for Jim Jackson and Clarence Weatherspoon.

i

20. Andrea Bargnani, C
Drafted: Raptors, 2006
Five seasons with Toronto

General manager Bryan Colangelo surprised many in 2006 by taking the Italian big man ahead of players like LaMarcus Aldridge and Rudy Gay. Colangelo thought Bargnani could be the next Dirk Nowitzki and, early on, there were glimpses that he might be right. Bargnani averaged 15.2 points and 4.8 rebounds with a 14.3 PER in his five seasons in Toronto. While he was a scoring threat, his lack of rebounding and defense often made him a liability on the floor. He was eventually traded to the Knicks for Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson and a 2016 first-round pick.

i

21. Kwame Brown, F/C
School: high school
Drafted: Wizards, 2001
Four seasons with Washington

Brown has become the poster child for draft busts, though in virtually every way he's not the worst draft pick in the last 25 years. Michael Jordan famously decided to draft Brown No. 1 after watching him handily beat Tyson Chandler in a game of one-on-one the day before the draft. Brown then told Jordan he would never let MJ down. Jordan and head coach Doug Collins were not ready to handle Brown's unpreparedness to play in the NBA. They both were pushing for the playoffs and rode Brown mercilessly. He averaged just 7.7 points and 5.5 rebounds during his four seasons in Washington, while posting a decent 14.5 PER. The Wizards passed on better talents in 2001, including Pau Gasol.

621.jpg

22. Michael Olowokandi, C
School: Pacific
Drafted: Clippers, 1998
Five seasons with Los Angeles

As bad as Brown was, in most every way, Olowokandi was even worse. The Clippers took him No. 1 ahead of players like Nowitzki and Paul Pierce in 1998, and he never amounted to much. During his five seasons in L.A., he averaged 9.9 PPG and 8 RPG but was largely inefficient, posting a relatively poor 11.0 PER. The Clippers never made the playoffs during his five seasons, and he bolted from the team in free agency.

i

23. Anthony Bennett, F
School: UNLV
Drafted: Cavaliers, 2013
One season with Cleveland

Cavaliers GM Chris Grant made everyone scratch their heads when he selected Bennett No. 1 during a very weak 2013 NBA draft. As soft as it was, players likeNerlens Noel (who was recovering from a torn ACL) and Victor Oladipo were considered better prospects that night. At the time, Bennett was still recovering from shoulder surgery, had gotten out of shape before the draft and, while a talented scorer, had a questionable work ethic. He was an unmitigated disaster for the Cavs in that lone season. He struggled to get minutes, averaged just 4.2 points per game and shot 36 percent from the field. He also posted a pitiful 6.9 PER. That summer, the Cavs packaged him and Wiggins in a trade with the Wolves for Kevin Love; so they got something good for Bennett.

897.jpg

24. Chris Webber, PF
School: Michigan
Drafted: Warriors, 1993
One season with Golden State

Webber would obviously be much, much higher on this list if it were based on talent alone. He averaged 20.7 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game for his career and had a career PER of 20.9. The issue for Webber was his impact on the Warriors, which, in almost every way, was a disaster. Golden State traded him for three future first-round picks (that became Todd Fuller in 1996, Keon Clark in 1998 and Mike Miller in 2000), along with the draft rights to Penny Hardaway. He played one season for the Warriors, where he constantly clashed with head coach Don Nelson. Golden State then turned around and traded him to the Wizards for Tom Gugliotta (who was then traded a year later for Donyell Marshall). The Warriors hit rock bottom after the Webber trade, failing to win more than 21 games in a season from 1997-2002. Only Greg Oden has done more to destroy a franchise, and the Oden debacle wasn't his fault.

i

25. Greg Oden, C
School: Ohio State
Drafted: Trail Blazers, 2007
Five seasons with Portland (played in two)

Oden should have been a monster. Unfortunately, his knees were made of glass. In the 82 NBA games he played for the Trail Blazers, Oden averaged a whopping 19.4 PER. In 2009, he was averaging a 23 PER -- All-Star numbers -- before going down with yet another injury. Oden's first injury occurred during the summer when he was drafted. No one knows what happened, but Oden had microfracture surgery and missed his entire rookie season. He missed a total of 61 games his second season with a foot injury and a chipped knee cap. In November of 2010, Oden went under the knife again for his second microfracture surgery and never played for the Blazers again. But the worst fate of all for Blazers fans was to sit helplessly by while the guy taken second, Kevin Durant, went on to be a superstar and eventually league MVP.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
1. Shaquille O'Neal
2. Tim Duncan
3. LeBron James
4. Allen Iverson
5. Chris Webber (Guy is an idiot for the reason he ranked him so low)

Handicapper
Tokens
AD ahead of Shaq already?

Even I the homer of all homers have to question that. But I do like the respect

Tokens
You guys know his rankings are based on what the team who drafted them got out of them.

That at is why webber is so low obviously

Tokens
1. Lebron (2003
2. Tim Duncan (1997
3. Shaq
4. Iverson
5. Chris Webber although could change in future

Lebron is a top 3 player of all time.
Tim Duncan is a top 3 true power forward of all time worst case
Shaq is a top 2m center of all time. Sorry, but bill Russell sucks. Shaq would have him post around half court.
Iverson took a nothing sixer team to the finals twice. Who was the next best player? Larry hughes

Handicapper
Tokens
WTH....I apparently read the article too fast the first time...

Still a little off.

Iverson should be #2 righg behind Duncan...[/

Handicapper
Tokens
Lebron took Cleveland to 3 finals.

AI 1 final and got swept .

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Lebron took Cleveland to 3 finals.

AI 1 final and got swept .

Allen 12 seasons averaging 28pts as an unstoppable offensive & polarizing player in Philly is the difference at this time in my opinion.

Never got the help other Superstars have.

After LeBron settles back in Cleveland couple years he passes Iverson.

Tokens
Cauz its ranking them NOW.

LeBron left Cleveland & just came back.

In 2-3 years he jumps Iverson (probably)

I don't think he needs 2-3 years. The Cavs/Lebron have had far more success than Philly/Iverson. More finals appearances, more regular season success, more MVPs, better numbers. Not really close in my mind, but I do realize that there are guys out there that really love AI.

Tokens
Both #1 picks that led their team to the finals. Then they got another thing in common that should be just as celebrated, both had The Truth give them 40+ an in an elimination game.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Loved Paul Pierce & have a thread here long ago stating early on he was the most important piece of the Big 3, not Garnett.
But some called me crazy.

But then after a while Kevin rubbed off on him & he changed for the worse...

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
I don't think he needs 2-3 years. The Cavs/Lebron have had far more success than Philly/Iverson. More finals appearances, more regular season success, more MVPs, better numbers. Not really close in my mind, but I do realize that there are guys out there that really love AI.

I do

As of right now LeBron James is know more for what he's done for and with the Miami Heat, not of The Cleveland Cavaliers....

Tokens
In a world where it is harder than ever to downplay and survive being caught in a scandal, Chad Ford brushed his aside pretty well.

He was pretty much caught red-handed last year for going back and changing his draft rankings after the fact to make them look more accurate. He denied it and ESPN just stuck by him then it went away but someone changed the rankings after the fact and nobody else would've had incentive to do so besides him.

http://deadspin.com/espns-chad-ford-has-been-retroactively-editing-draft-bo-1681631642

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2tk9xa/chad_ford_changes_his_draft_boards_years_after/

If anyone wants to take a look. He basically moves all the good players up and all the bad players down, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com