Cnotes Sports Page For Monday July 20th Best Bets-Trends-News !

Search

Tokens
Preview: Mariners (42-50) at Tigers (45-46)
Game: 1
Venue: Comerica Park
Date: July 20, 2015 7:08 PM EDT

It's been quite some time since the four-time defending AL Central champion Detroit Tigers sat below .500 following the All-Star break.

It also seems like forever ago that Alfredo Simon was pitching well.

The Tigers hope Simon can snap out of a terrible stretch and help them get back to the break-even mark in the opener of a four-game series with the visiting Seattle Mariners on Monday night.

Detroit (45-46) surged to an 11-2 start, but hasn't won more than three in a row since while falling 10 1/2 games behind first-place Kansas City. It has dropped five of six after Sunday's 9-3 loss to Baltimore, falling below .500 for the first time since it was 1-2 on April 4, 2013.

The Tigers last were under .500 in the second half when they were 80-81 near the end of 2010. They haven't finished a season below .500 since going 74-88 in 2008.

Simon (8-6, 4.53 ERA) has dropped off much like the Tigers. He went 7-3 with a 2.58 ERA through his first 12 starts, but he has an 11.12 ERA over his last five.

The right-hander, an All-Star with Cincinnati last year in his first full season as a starter, has allowed at least five runs in each of these recent outings as opponents have hit .416. He gave up seven runs - five earned - in 2 1-3 innings of a 9-5 loss to Minnesota in his last start July 11.

'I don't want to put a lot of things in my mind,' Simon said. 'I just try to work hard and in the second half try to do it better, like try to make the pitch down. When you try to make the pitch and leave it up, you're going to get hit. I have to do it better than that and just try to throw the ball down.'

Simon made his only career start against the Mariners on July 6, allowing five runs and eight hits - including a three-run homer to Logan Morrison - while walking three in 5 2-3 innings of a 12-5 win.

Morrison, though, has hit just .133 with six extra-base hits over his last 27 games, and he got the day off Sunday as the Mariners (42-50) lost 2-1 to the New York Yankees.

"We need him to get on one of those (hot) streaks again," manager Lloyd McClendon told MLB's official website. "We need him if we're going to be successful. He's got to get it going."

Former Tiger Austin Jackson drove in the only run Sunday with a fifth-inning single. Seattle has scored 10 times and has no more than seven hits in its last five on the road.

The Mariners look to bounce back behind J.A. Happ, who like Simon has struggled since a good start.

Happ (4-5, 4.14) had a 3.31 ERA after a scoreless outing against Tampa Bay on June 5, but he's gone 1-4 with a 5.93 ERA in six outings since. He hasn't pitched since July 8, when he gave up four runs and seven hits while walking three in four innings of Seattle's 5-4 loss to the Tigers.

The Mariners optioned Happ to the minors before the All-Star break, with Happ agreeing to the assignment so Seattle could have an extra position player.

Jesus Montero went 3 for 10 in five games and was sent back to Triple-A Tacoma following Sunday's contest to make room for Happ.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Mariners at Tigers
Mon, Jul 20 - 7:08PM EDT

GAME 2
Mariners at Tigers
Tue, Jul 21 - 7:08PM EDT

GAME 3
Mariners at Tigers
Wed, Jul 22 - 7:08PM EDT

GAME 4
Mariners at Tigers
Thu, Jul 23 - 1:08PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Mets (48-44) at Nationals (49-41)
Venue: Nationals Park
Date: July 20, 2015 7:05 PM EDT

The New York Mets and Washington Nationals have played some low-scoring games recently, and given the pitchers who will open their next series, another seems likely.

Matt Harvey and Gio Gonzalez bring impressive scoreless streaks against their respective NL East foes into Monday night's meeting at Nationals Park, and neither team showed much in the way of offense over the weekend.

Harvey (8-6, 3.07 ERA) hasn't been scored on in his last 16 innings against Washington (49-41), but his more immediate concerns have to do with control.

In a 4-2 home win over Arizona on July 11, the right-hander held the Diamondbacks to two runs and five hits while striking out nine in seven innings. It was good enough to earn the victory, but Harvey walked four and has issued nine over his last two starts. That comes after he'd walked 17 in his first 15 starts, but his manager at least thought he was trending in the right direction as the game progressed.

"As you saw the game went, his command got better, stuff got better," Terry Collins said. "He got into three, four, five and he got into a rhythm."

Harvey is 3-1 with a 0.68 ERA in six career starts against the Nationals, which includes 14 innings in Washington without allowing an earned run. Bryce Harper is 0 for 12 with six strikeouts against the Mets ace.

For the Nationals, Harvey is the latest in a brutal stretch against top-level starters that will continue with All-Star Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard. Washington failed to score against Clayton Kershaw and Zack Greinke over the weekend and totaled two runs and 10 hits in the two losses after Sunday's 5-0 loss to Los Angeles. Over a 1-4 home span, the Nationals have scored nine runs while hitting .154.

"Do you want us to duck tail and run?" said Clint Robinson, who's in a 2-for-19 slump at home. "I've said before, this is the big leagues, that's part of it. These guys are the best in the world for a reason, and you've just got to go out there and rise up to the challenge."

Ian Desmond went hitless again Sunday and is in a 3-for-44 slump, but Yunel Escobar was 2 for 4 and is batting .345 in his last 21 games.

Gonzalez (6-4, 3.99) hasn't yielded a run to the Mets (48-44) over the last 15 2-3 innings with consecutive victories to improve to 8-4 with a 2.87 ERA in 14 career starts. Wilmer Flores (0 for 10), Curtis Granderson (3 for 24) and Lucas Duda (3 for 17) have struggled in this matchup, but Juan Lagares is 8 for 19 with a home run.

The left-hander has also probably put together his best three-start span this season with a 2-0 record and 0.90 ERA after limiting Baltimore to one run and six hits in six innings of a 3-2 road win on July 10. He's credited catcher Jose Lobaton, whom he's worked with for each of the three starts, with some of the success.

"He is helping me out with pitches low in the zone," Gonzalez told MLB's official website. "Lobby and I are in sync right now. He is calling a great game, and I'm just throwing it where he wants it."

Most of Gonzalez's success has come at home, where he's 4-1 with a 2.44 ERA in seven starts, and the Mets have shown no evidence lately of being able to beef that up.

In Sunday's 3-1 18-inning win , they stranded a franchise record-matching 25 runners and went 1 for 26 with runners in scoring position, which drops them to 3 for 62 in seven games.

There were six runs scored in the most recent three-game series between the teams, with the Nationals winning each of the last two 1-0.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Mets at Nationals
Mon, Jul 20 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 2
Mets at Nationals
Tue, Jul 21 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Mets at Nationals
Wed, Jul 22 - 12:35PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Rays (47-47) at Phillies (32-62)
Venue: Citizens Bank Park
Date: July 20, 2015 7:05 PM EDT

Matt Moore's first victory in nearly two years helped the Tampa Bay Rays finish off a sweep that put a difficult stretch behind them before the All-Star break.

Now Moore takes the mound looking to help Tampa Bay solve its road woes.

The Rays try to avoid a sixth defeat in their last seven away from home Monday night against the Philadelphia Phillies, who look to win four in a row for the first time in two months.

Tampa Bay (47-47) dropped 15 of 18 before taking all three from Houston prior to the break, with Moore (1-0, 7.07 ERA) giving up three runs in five innings of a 4-3 victory in the series finale July 12.

It marked the left-hander's first win since Sept. 29, 2013, and his third start since returning from Tommy John surgery in April 2014. Moore admittedly hasn't been very sharp, though, and he allowed eight Astros to reach base.

The 88 pitches were the most he's thrown since returning.

"Most of it has to do with how I'm getting into those jams and getting a pitch to salvage the inning and hang a zero," Moore said. "I've got to be better than making a jam I have to get out of instead of just setting the tone early in the inning and at-bat."

Moore looks to make those adjustments against the Phillies (32-62) while helping the Rays bounce back from dropping two of three at Toronto over the weekend.

Tampa suffered its eighth shutout in Sunday's 4-0 defeat and finished with just four hits. It had a great opportunity in the third inning when Tim Beckham stood on third with one out, but he failed to tag up on a shallow fly ball and then was picked off to end the inning.

The Rays have lost nine of 11 on the road and are running into a suddenly hot Philadelphia club coming off sweeping Miami. Ryan Howard and Freddy Galvis homered before Jeff Francoeur's two-run shot in the bottom of the ninth gave the Phillies an 8-7 win Sunday.

Philadelphia, the only team in baseball with a sub-.400 winning percentage, hasn't won four straight since a season-best six-game run from May 13-18.

The Phillies hope their hot start to the second half rubs off on David Buchanan (0-5, 7.58). They sent Buchanan to the minors April 30 after he lost his first five outings while posting an 8.76 ERA, and he suffered a badly sprained left ankle May 16 that kept him out five weeks while pitching for Triple-A Lehigh Valley.

Buchanan was solid in his return to the rotation July 11, when he allowed one run in five innings of Philadelphia's 8-5 loss to San Francisco.

''Sometimes when guys start getting hits you start to nibble and walk guys," said Buchanan, who walked 15 in 24 2-3 innings before being demoted. "I didn't walk anybody and that was the biggest thing for me. It's a good stepping stone.'

The Phillies have lost 14 of Buchanan's last 15 starts, with the right-hander going 0-8 with a 4.63 ERA in that stretch since beating Houston on Aug. 6.

Rays outfielder Steven Souza Jr. hasn't played since July 5 because of a right finger injury, but he's expected to rejoin the club prior to Tuesday's contest.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Rays at Phillies
Mon, Jul 20 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 2
Rays at Phillies
Tue, Jul 21 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Rays at Phillies
Wed, Jul 22 - 1:05PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Dodgers (53-40) at Braves (43-49)
Venue: Turner Field
Date: July 20, 2015 7:10 PM EDT

After watching the Los Angeles Dodgers' top two starters dominate as usual, Brandon Beachy will seek to do the same to his former team.

He would probably settle for a better performance than an unsatisfying return from a pair of Tommy John surgeries when he faces the Atlanta Braves on Monday night.

The Dodgers (53-40) closed out their three-game series in Washington with a pair of scoreless outings from two of the best pitchers in the game, Zack Greinke and Clayton Kershaw. Greinke has kept opponents off the scoreboard for 43 2-3 consecutive innings after a 5-0 victory Sunday.

Beachy (0-1, 6.75 ERA) has the difficult task of trying to keep that run going while continuing to knock off the rust from a nearly two-year layoff. The right-hander gave up three runs in four innings in a 7-1 loss to Milwaukee on July 11, his first major league start since his final one for Atlanta on Aug. 20, 2013.

"I was really excited to get out there, and I'm really disappointed now. It's not the way I pictured it for 23 months, but it is what it is," Beachy said. "I didn't feel lost by any means. There was never a point where I didn't feel like I knew where the ball was going. It's just sometimes I rushed. I could feel what I was doing wrong.

"Now it's about making pitches, and I'm going to be a lot better."

Beachy was considered one of the Braves' top 10 prospects after reaching the majors in 2010 but only got one full season with Atlanta before hurting his right elbow in 2012. The franchise didn't offer him a contract in December, and he signed a one-year deal with the Dodgers in February.

In his matchup with the Braves, Beachy will try to lead Los Angeles to its seventh win in nine games and ninth in its last 12 road contests. The Dodgers are also seeking their ninth victory in the last 11 games against Atlanta after taking two of three at home from May 25-27.

The Braves (43-49) enter this series having dropped seven of eight and were nearly shut out for the second straight game Sunday, scoring their lone run in a 4-1 defeat to the Chicago Cubs in the ninth inning. Atlanta, a season-worst six games under .500, has averaged 2.6 runs in its last 23 games and has plated five in its last four at home.

"I know we've got to play better," shortstop Andrelton Simmons said. "There's no more waiting."

Matt Wisler (3-1, 3.10) was denied his third consecutive winning start despite another strong performance July 11. He gave up two runs and struck out seven over six innings in a 3-2 loss in Colorado, his fifth major league start.

There's a chance he could face Carl Crawford if the outfielder returns from a strained right oblique that's kept him out since April 27. Crawford, who is expected to join the Dodgers in Atlanta, is batting .425 (17 for 40) with three homers in his last 12 games against the Braves, including four in the playoffs.

It's also unclear if Yasmani Grandal will be available after taking a foul ball off his catcher's mask Sunday. X-rays on his jaw were negative but he's expected to have more tests Monday.

Braves reliever Andrew McKirahan could return after serving an 80-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Dodgers at Braves
Mon, Jul 20 - 7:10PM EDT

GAME 2
Dodgers at Braves
Tue, Jul 21 - 7:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Dodgers at Braves
Wed, Jul 22 - 12:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Cubs (49-41) at Reds (40-49)
Venue: Great American Ball Park
Date: July 20, 2015 7:10 PM EDT

Kyle Schwarber has started in one of the Chicago Cubs' three games since his return from the minors but that will likely change this week.

Schwarber is expected to get at least three starts in a four-game road series against the Cincinnati Reds, potentially beginning with Monday night's opener.

Schwarber went 3 for 4 in a 4-2 loss in Atlanta on Friday after being recalled, putting his average at .423 in his first seven major league games, but he was limited to one pinch-hit appearance in each of Chicago's ensuing back-to-back wins over the Braves.

That was likely because of his two errors behind the plate at Turner Field. He reportedly spent this weekend practicing with pitching coach Chris Bosio and catching instructor Mike Borzello.

Before a 4-1 victory Sunday, manager Joe Maddon detailed the plan for the near future for Cubs' highly touted prospect. When he was called up, Schwarber was expected to split time at catcher with veteran David Ross because of Miguel Montero's stint on the disabled list (thumb) and play occasionally in the outfield.

"We just want to make sure we bring him up properly and we don't put too much on him too quickly," Maddon said. "I thought he had a wonderful day (Friday), and we're going to try to continue those wonderful days without pushing him too hard."

Schwarber will try to help deliver the Cubs' 11th win in the past 13 meetings with Cincinnati. Chicago (49-41) is 7-2 against the Reds this season.

Cincinnati (40-49) doesn't look poised to change that record, having lost 12 of 18. A 5-3 defeat in 11 innings to Cleveland on Sunday was also its fifth in six home games.

The Reds' staff has a 6.27 ERA in that stretch and a 5.20 mark in its past 16 overall games. Following a 6-1 win in Friday's opener against Cleveland, Cincinnati gave up a combined 14 runs, 24 hits and 14 walks - including four with the bases loaded Sunday - in the final two games.

"It's been a tough road so far but we have enough games in the second half to make something out of this season," outfielder Jason Bourgeois said. "We're going to continue to play hard. That's all you can ask for."

That might aid a Cubs team that's had some issues with consistency at the plate. Chicago is batting .218 in its last 22 games and has scored two runs or fewer in 14.

Michael Lorenzen gave up six runs in 4 1-3 innings in his only start against the Cubs, a 6-3 loss June 11, but hasn't yielded more than three in any of his other 11 starts. The rookie right-hander has logged a 2.83 ERA in his five subsequent outings and gave up two runs in six innings in a 2-0 loss July 9 in Miami.

That was the second straight defeat for Lorenzen (3-4, 3.53 ERA), who has received one run of support in his last three games.

Clayton Richard (1-0, 5.79) got plenty of assistance in his first major league start in two years July 4, a 7-2 win over Miami. The left-hander yielded two runs in 6 1-3 innings in that game but gave up four in three innings of relief in a 6-5 loss to St. Louis on July 8.

Richard is 0-2 with a 6.33 ERA in five starts against the Reds and is facing them for the first time since July 7, 2012.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Cubs at Reds
Mon, Jul 20 - 7:10PM EDT

GAME 2
Cubs at Reds
Tue, Jul 21 - 7:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Cubs at Reds
Wed, Jul 22 - 12:35PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Pirates (53-38) at Royals (55-35)
Venue: Ewing M. Kauffman Stadium
Date: July 20, 2015 8:10 PM EDT

A.J. Burnett is entering the second half for the final time with easily the best ERA he's ever had at this point in the season.

The 38-year-old's consistency has been remarkable, and he can match his 2014 win total with a victory Monday night as the Pittsburgh Pirates visit a Kansas City Royals team that's racking up wins faster than all but one team in franchise history.

Burnett (7-3, 2.11 ERA), who went 8-18 a season ago with Philadelphia, gave up three runs and six hits in 6 1-3 innings of a 6-5, 14-inning home win over St. Louis on July 11. Since allowing four earned runs in consecutive starts from May 28-June 2, he's 1-2 with a 1.99 ERA in seven starts, though he's received at most a run of support in five of those.

The right-hander is 3-1 with a 1.83 ERA in his last six starts against Kansas City, but he's 4-2 with a 5.21 ERA in eight starts in AL parks since returning to the NL in 2012.

Kansas City (55-35) has won four of five after beating Chris Sale in Sunday's 4-1 road victory over the Chicago White Sox. The Royals had 30 hits in the last two games of the series and are batting .315 in 11 games as part of a 10-2 span. Lorenzo Cain has homered in consecutive games while batting .473 with four homers and 12 RBIs in his last 14, and Alcides Escobar is batting .397 in his last 14.

The Royals are 20 games over .500 for the first time since concluding the 1989 season at 92-70, and only the 1976 team got to 20 over faster. That team did it in 80 and went on to with the AL West.

Pittsburgh (53-38) was two games away from reaching the same mark prior to being swept in three games in Milwaukee, including Sunday's 6-1 loss. They lost Jordy Mercer to a leg injury after the shortstop needed to be carted off the field following a collision, and Andrew McCutchen and Pedro Alvarez were held out of the lineup. Alvarez is in a 2-for-21 slump.

"The season has a long way to go," manager Clint Hurdle said in regard to a rough start to the second half. "We'll look forward to starting the series there (Kansas City)."

They'll try to straighten things out against Yordano Ventura.

Ventura (4-6, 4.73) has totaled 11 innings in his last three starts, though he earned the decision in an 8-3 home victory over Tampa Bay on July 9. The right-hander was pitching for the first time in nearly a month after a disabled-list stint due to an elbow issue that caused numbness in his hand, and he gave up three runs and four hits with three walks in five innings, admitting he's not yet back to normal.

"I'm not 100 percent," Ventura told MLB's official website.

If he again has a short outing, the Royals could turn to Kris Medlen, who will come off the DL in his return from a second major elbow surgery. Medlen, who last pitched in the majors in 2013 with Atlanta, will join the bullpen as the long man for now.

The Pirates are seeking their first series win in Kansas City, having gone 2-6 there since the start of interleague play. They've won five of the last six meetings and three straight, but those have all come in Pittsburgh. They've gone 10-5 against the AL this season with wins in nine of the last 10 and five straight victories in AL parks.

Pittsburgh's 36-19 interleague record since the start of 2013 trails only Oakland (31-16). Kansas City ranks third at 33-20.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Pirates at Royals
Mon, Jul 20 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 2
Pirates at Royals
Tue, Jul 21 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Pirates at Royals
Wed, Jul 22 - 8:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Rangers (43-48) at Rockies (39-51)
Venue: Coors Field
Date: July 20, 2015 8:40 PM EDT

When the Texas Rangers sent Nick Martinez to the minors July 2, it was only a matter of time before they intended to recall him.

His return to the big leagues won't be easy since it comes at Coors Field.

Martinez looks to snap his three-start losing streak against a Colorado Rockies team that owns baseball's worst interleague mark in Monday night's three-game series opener.

Texas (43-48) sent Martinez to Triple-A Round Rock after he posted a 6.27 ERA in his last three starts with the club, yielding four runs over 6 2-3 innings in a 4-2 defeat to Baltimore on July 1.

Martinez (5-5, 3.43 ERA) posted a 4.50 ERA in two starts in the minors. Now the right-hander will look to recapture the form from his first four starts in April when he posted a 0.35 ERA.

"We want to get Nick back into play," manager Jeff Banister told MLB's official website. "We wanted to give him a chance to freshen up, now we're going to get him back up here."

Martinez is back in the rotation after Wandy Rodriguez was sent to the bullpen. Martinez's lone appearance against Colorado (39-51) was a scoreless inning of relief at home last year.

He'll get his first look at Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, who has reached base in a career-high 40 consecutive games after going 3 for 5 with a solo homer over the weekend at San Diego.

Extending the streak Monday would tie him with Todd Helton (2007) and Andres Galarraga (1996-97) for the second-longest in franchise history, five back of Michael Cuddyer's mark set two years ago.

The Rockies lost twice to the Padres before Sunday's series finale was postponed by rain - the first time that has happened at Petco Park since 2006. Colorado has endured numerous weather issues at home.

'We invented it,' manager Walt Weiss said.'We've been making it rain all year. I don't think I've ever seen rain in San Diego. This is strange.'

Weiss will give the ball to Chris Rusin (3-3, 3.98), who is 2-0 with a 3.32 ERA in three home starts. The lone one Rusin did not win came when he yielded two runs in six innings July 8 in a 3-2 loss to the Los Angeles Angels.

The left-hander has never faced Texas and is 0-1 with a 8.10 ERA in three career interleague starts.

The Rockies are 1-10 in interleague play, though they have won eight of their last nine at home against the Rangers. Colorado outscored Texas 29-10 in winning three of four overall last year and has won four straight at home for its longest such streak since winning its last six to close out 2014.

Carlos Gonzalez went 10 for 19 against Texas last year, Tulowitzki was 6 for 13 with two homers and Nolan Arenado was 6 for 14 with six RBIs.

Texas opened a nine-game trip over the weekend by splitting two one-run games with Houston before Sunday's 10-0 loss.

Prince Fielder is fourth in the majors with a .337 average. He bats .275 against left-handers compared to his major league-best .377 mark against righties.

Martinez's batterymate will be Tomas Telis, who was recalled Friday and is expected to make his first 2015 start.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Rangers at Rockies
Mon, Jul 20 - 8:40PM EDT

GAME 2
Rangers at Rockies
Tue, Jul 21 - 8:40PM EDT

GAME 3
Rangers at Rockies
Wed, Jul 22 - 3:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Marlins (38-54) at Diamondbacks (42-48)
Venue: Chase Field
Date: July 20, 2015 9:40 PM EDT

If he had received a little more run support, Rubby De La Rosa might have registered his first complete game in May as part of the Arizona Diamondbacks' four-game sweep of the Miami Marlins.

De La Rosa hasn't gotten anywhere close to recording that milestone in his recent starts, and his latest effort is part of Arizona's season-worst skid.

The Diamondbacks will try to snap that in Monday night's rematch with the Marlins, losers in seven straight on the road.

De La Rosa went nine innings and gave up two runs in the series opener in Miami on May 18 - his only other start against the Marlins - but the Diamondbacks (42-48) needed 13 innings for a 3-2 win. The right-hander hasn't gotten past the sixth inning in any of his last three starts and didn't make it out of the fourth in a 5-3 loss to the New York Mets on July 12.

De La Rosa (6-5, 5.06 ERA) gave up four runs - on a career-high three homers - and 12 of the 13 runs he's yielded in his past four games (21 1-3 innings) have been scored via seven longballs. He's given up 21 in 18 games this season, surpassing his total from his first 44 major league appearances, and the two runs he allowed in Miami were on a J.T. Realmuto homer.

"For us to be successful, Rubby has to be one of our best pitchers, so he's got to get the ball down," manager Chip Hale said.

Arizona's starters have a 7.76 ERA in the six-game skid, but Patrick Corbin was effective Sunday against San Francisco, allowing two runs in five innings. The Diamondbacks' hitters, though, went 1 for 9 with runners in scoring position in a 2-1 loss.

They'll face a Marlins staff that's posted a 2.74 ERA in the last 11 games with its starters registering a 3.30 mark. Miami (38-54) has given up 13 unearned runs in that stretch, committing 10 errors, and has lost eight of 11.

The Marlins had an error-free series finale in Philadelphia on Sunday but lost 8-7 when A.J. Ramos gave up a two-run homer in the ninth. Ramos had converted 14 of his prior 15 save opportunities after taking over as closer in May and seven in a row.

"Now it's up to us to have our pride and do what we have to do, that's take care of our business," manager Dan Jennings said after his team's 14th loss in 16 road games. "It would have been easy to fold after losing the first two here, but (our players) showed fight and showed heart. We fully expect that the remainder of this road trip."

In his second start since returning to the rotation, David Phelps (4-5, 3.86) will try to keep Miami from its longest road losing streak since a 10-gamer May 11-June 5, 2013. The right-hander, who took over for a demoted Jarred Cosart, allowed his only run on a solo homer over six innings against Cincinnati on July 10 but was handed a 1-0 defeat.

Phelps gave up four runs in five innings in his only start against Arizona, a 6-1 loss May 20.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Marlins at Diamondbacks
Mon, Jul 20 - 9:40PM EDT

GAME 2
Marlins at Diamondbacks
Tue, Jul 21 - 9:40PM EDT

GAME 3
Marlins at Diamondbacks
Wed, Jul 22 - 9:40PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Red Sox (42-49) at Angels (50-40)
Game: 4
Venue: Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Date: July 20, 2015 10:05 PM EDT

The Los Angeles Angels are set to host their first doubleheader in 12 years thanks to their first rain postponement in 20.

Maybe an unscheduled day off will wake up some listless Boston Red Sox bats.

The Angels posted shutouts in the first two games of this four-game series, which will be completed Monday in a day-night doubleheader in Anaheim.

Sunday night's game was postponed due to rain, marking the first time that has happened in Anaheim since June 16, 1995. Now Los Angeles (50-40) will host its first doubleheader since Sept. 6, 2003.

'Unfortunately, I guess you never really know how your drainage system works until you get enough water,' Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. 'There's so much standing water in that outfield that just has nowhere to go. It's going to be like that all night, probably be like that (Monday) morning. ... The field was unplayable, with no way to remedy that.'

Boston (42-49) seeks to avoid a fourth straight loss and score for the first time in this series after totaling seven hits - five singles - in losses by 1-0 on Friday and 3-0 on Saturday.

Slugger David Ortiz is hitting an AL-worst .144 off left-handers and he's 2 for 9 off Hector Santiago (6-4, 2.33 ERA), who starts the first game for Los Angeles. Santiago is 2-0 with a 1.00 ERA in his last four starts after giving up one run in seven innings July 10 to earn a 7-3 victory at Seattle.

He allowed three runs in 6 2-3 innings of a 6-1 loss to the Red Sox on May 24 to fall to 0-3 with a 3.63 ERA in four starts against them. Dustin Pedroia is 4 for 9 in this matchup, though the second baseman is 0 for 8 in this series after missing 16 games due to a right hamstring strain.

Santiago will try to help the Angels post three straight shutouts for the first time since Sept. 28-Oct. 1, 1974.

The Angels will send another lefty to the mound in Andrew Heaney (3-0, 1.32) in the nightcap. He threw seven scoreless innings and struck out six in last Sunday's 10-3 win over the Mariners. Heaney has pitched at least seven innings in three consecutive starts.

Boston will use a left-hander opposite Santiago in the opener in rookie Eduardo Rodriguez (5-2, 3.59), who is 3-0 with an 0.69 ERA in his first four career road starts. He also entered the break 2-0 with a 2.08 ERA in his last three overall after allowing a pair of solo homers in 6 1-3 innings of a 5-3 win over the New York Yankees on July 11.

"We continue to learn a lot about him," manager John Farrell said. "He continues to grow each time he walks to the mound."

Rodriguez will get his first look at the Angels while Game 2 starter Steven Wright (3-2, 4.15) can post his second win in as many starts over them after surrendering two runs in 6 1-3 innings in an 8-3 home victory May 23.

Wright, who makes his first start since June 4, is 1-2 with a 3.91 ERA in four 2015 starts.

The knuckleballer held Mike Trout hitless in three at-bats in May. Trout went 0 for 4 on Saturday to end an eight-game hitting streak in which he went 13 for 31 with six homers and 12 RBIs.

Trout homered in the bottom of the ninth to win the series opener before Kole Calhoun went deep twice the next night.

Calhoun is batting .354 with five homers and 13 RBIs in his last 11 games.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Red Sox at Angels
Fri, Jul 17 Final 0 to 1
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Red Sox at Angels
Sat, Jul 18 Final 0 to 3
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
Red Sox at Angels
Sun, Jul 19 - 8:05PM EDT
Recaps

GAME 4
Red Sox at Angels
Mon, Jul 20 - 10:05PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Giants (49-43) at Padres (43-49)
Venue: PETCO Park
Date: July 20, 2015 10:10 PM EDT

Tim Hudson is returning from a stint on the disabled list, so it's unlikely he will be able to give the San Francisco Giants the innings they need to rest an overworked bullpen.

Ian Kennedy has lost four straight starts for the San Diego Padres, beginning with a defeat to San Francisco.

These right-handers open a three-game series Monday night at Petco Park, with the Giants winners of six straight and the Padres winners of four in a row.

San Francisco (49-43) swept three-game series on both sides of the All-Star break, including a weekend series at Arizona in which Giants relievers allowed one run in 13 2-3 innings. The bullpen worked four scoreless innings in Sunday's 2-1 victory.

"They all came in and got some big outs for us, the bullpen saved us," manager Bruce Bochy said. "That's a great effort by them.'

Hudson (5-7, 4.68 ERA) will pitch for the first time since allowing five runs over 6 2-3 innings as he suffered an 8-6 loss to Colorado on June 26. He has been out with a strained right shoulder.

This will be his first start since he turned 40 on Tuesday.

"We've stretched him out in the bullpen," Bochy told MLB's official website. "He had ankle surgery not too long ago. Your body gets beat up playing this game."

Hudson pitched 6 1-3 innings in a 1-0, 12-inning victory at San Diego (43-49) on April 9. He's 1-3 with a 3.08 ERA in six starts versus the Padres with the Giants.

Matt Kemp is 8 for 24 against Hudson, but Will Venable is 4 for 28. They are the only Padres to homer in this matchup.

The Giants are carrying 13 pitchers and will have to make a roster move to activate Hudson. Reliever Jeremy Affeldt is also due back in this series.

"We knew it was going to be crowded when we got to this point, but these moves have to be made," Bochy said.

Kennedy (4-9, 4.91) has posted a 3.38 ERA in his last four outings, allowing six homers in 21 1-3 innings in that span, but he has received one run of total support. He has given up 20 homers.

He'll try to avoid his first five-start slide since May 3-25, 2012. Kennedy is 1-1 with a 1.17 ERA in three 2015 starts against the Giants, allowing six runs - one earned - over six innings in a 6-0 defeat June 24 that started his woes.

Buster Posey is a .400 hitter off Kennedy with a homer in 40 at-bats. Brandon Belt is 10 for 31 against him while Angel Pagan has struggled with a .171 average.

Posey is 13 for 25 in this win streak, Joe Panik is 11 for 26 with eight runs scored and Matt Duffy is 13 for 30.

San Diego took the first two games of a weekend home series with Colorado before Sunday's game was postponed due to rain in the fifth inning. The statistics won't count, though outfielder Justin Upton was removed early with a sore left oblique.

'I don't anticipate DL, I really don't,' manager Pat Murphy said.

These NL West rivals have split 10 meetings. The Giants have dropped 12 of their last 17 at San Diego.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Giants at Padres
Mon, Jul 20 - 10:10PM EDT

GAME 2
Giants at Padres
Tue, Jul 21 - 10:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Giants at Padres
Wed, Jul 22 - 3:40PM EDT

Tokens
This Week in Baseball: Dugout phone problems, Greinke's run

July 20, 2015

The phones managers use to communicate with the bullpen and the replay room - an endearingly quaint setup in these mobile-centric times - apparently become troublesome now and then.

File this under ''lighthearted dugout moments'' from a long season:

Detroit manager Brad Ausmus acknowledged the Tigers have accidentally called the bullpen before when they meant to contact the replay room, leaving bullpen coach Mick Billmeyer a bit puzzled.

''We call down and say, `Is that fair or foul?' And Mick will go, `Looked foul from here,''' Ausmus said.

At Detroit's Comerica Park, the dugout phones are clearly labeled.

''It hasn't happened here so much. It's on the road,'' Ausmus said. ''In Minnesota, you have to actually dial to get the bullpen, and you have to dial to get to replay. I think we dialed the bullpen by accident.''

When that story was relayed to Baltimore manager Buck Showalter, he understood.

''Some places, you've got to dial in,'' he said. ''I've called the instant replay to tell them to get somebody up (in the bullpen). `Uh, Buck, uh, you've got the replay room.'''

Here are a few other developments from around baseball:

ZACK VS OREL

Zack Greinke of the Los Angeles Dodgers has now thrown 43 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings, the longest run in the majors since Orel Hershiser set the record of 59 in 1988.

What's interesting is that Greinke hasn't thrown a single shutout this season, repeatedly turning things over to his bullpen during this streak. Hershiser, on the other hand, had to throw just about every possible inning down the stretch to break the record in `88.

That's because Hershiser's streak didn't begin until Aug. 30, when he blanked Montreal for the final four innings of a complete game win. Then he threw five straight shutouts before going 10 scoreless innings in his final start to surpass Don Drysdale's mark of 58 in a row.

Don't assume Hershiser was overworked, though. He threw 119 pitches in that Aug. 30 game, and that was actually his highest pitch count during the streak.

Greinke struck out 11 on Sunday night against Washington. Hershiser never struck out more than nine during the whole 1988 season.

FANTASY FOCUS

With the trade deadline approaching, the time to anticipate the fantasy effects is now. This is particularly important with relievers, whose roles can change depending on what team they're pitching for.

Ken Giles could take over as closer in Philadelphia if Jonathan Papelbon is dealt, and J.J. Hoover is the only Cincinnati player besides Aroldis Chapman with a save this year. Hoover is 5-0 with a 1.34 ERA and could be next in line to close if Chapman is traded.

BUY OR SELL?

With the trade deadline approaching, that decision is particularly interesting in the American League, where a number of teams around .500 are still very much in contention for a playoff spot. If the season ended now, the five AL playoff teams would be the Yankees, Royals, Angels, Twins and Astros, but according to the numbers at Fangraphs.com, every team in the league except Texas, Oakland, Seattle and the Chicago White Sox has at least a 15 percent chance to make the postseason.

Over in the National League, there's a bigger gap between the contenders and everybody else. In the NL, every team is at least four games above or below .500, essentially eliminating the murky middle.

LINE OF THE WEEK

Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers, allowed three hits in eight scoreless innings and struck out 14 in Saturday's 4-2 win over Washington - just in case anyone forgot about him amid all the hoopla about Greinke's streak.

Tokens
LEADING OFF: Harvey vs. Harper, Frazier hopes to end skid

July 20, 2015

A look at what's happening all around the major leagues today:

HARVEY TIME

Mets ace Matt Harvey starts at Nationals Park with New York trailing Washington by two games in the NL East. He's 2-0 vs. the Nats this season and has shut them out for 13 innings. Star slugger Bryce Harper is 0 for 12 with six strikeouts in his career against Harvey.

REFRESHED?

Home Run Derby champion Todd Frazier could return to the starting lineup when Cincinnati hosts the Cubs. The third baseman pinch hit Sunday, and is 0 for 10 since the All-Star break.

RARE DOUBLE-DIP

After heavy downpours in Anaheim, California, postponed their game Sunday night against the Boston Red Sox, the Los Angeles Angels will host their first doubleheader since 2003 on Monday. It was the Angels' first home rainout since June 16, 1995, and just the 16th time in their 55-year franchise history.

CHECK HIM

Pirates shortstop Jordy Mercer will get evaluated in Pittsburgh, a day after he was carted off the field following a collision with Carlos Gomez in Milwaukee. Mercer couldn't put pressure on his left leg as a result of trying to tag Gomez.

SWITCH IT AROUND

Ambidextrous A's pitcher Pat Venditte, sidelined since June 11 with a strained right shoulder, will throw batting practice Monday at Class A Stockton. He'll toss 15 pitches with each arm.

WELCOME BACK

Royals reliever Kris Medlen will come off the disabled list, taking another step in his comeback from his second major elbow surgery. He'll join Kansas City's bullpen for the start of a three-game series vs. visiting Pittsburgh. Medlen last pitched in the majors in 2013 for Atlanta.

Tokens
Baseball Capsules

July 19, 2015

WASHINGTON (AP) Zack Greinke extended his scoreless streak to 43 2/3 innings, striking out a season-high 11 through the eighth and leading the Los Angeles Dodgers over the Washington Nationals 5-0 on Sunday.

Greinke's string is the longest in the majors since Orel Hershiser set the major league record of 59 shutout innings in 1988 with the Dodgers. Greinke (9-2) leads the big leagues with a 1.30 ERA. He scattered three singles, walked one and threw 119 pitches in eight innings.

This was his sixth straight scoreless start, all of them lasting at least six innings. Last Tuesday night, Greinke started the All-Star Game and gave up a leadoff homer to Mike Trout, but that run doesn't count in the regular-season statistics.

Max Scherzer (10-8) gave up one run in six innings.

METS 3, CARDINALS 1, 18 INNINGS

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Ruben Tejada hit a sacrifice fly in the 18th inning and the New York Mets outlasted the St. Louis Cardinals despite stranding 25 baserunners.

The Mets went 1 for 26 with runners in scoring position, yet still won the majors' second-longest game this season. Boston beat the Yankees in 19 innings in April. It took 5 hours, 55 minutes for the Mets to top the NL Central-leading Cardinals and avoid a three-game sweep.

Tejada hit a bases-loaded fly for the lead and Eric Campbell drove in another run with a squeeze bunt.

The game was scoreless until before both teams got a run in the 13th.

Carlos Torres (3-4), the seventh Mets pitcher, was the winner. Carlos Martinez (10-4) was pressed into relief and was the Cardinals' eighth pitcher.

ASTROS 10, RANGERS 0

HOUSTON (AP) - Astros ace Dallas Keuchel struck out a career-high 13 in seven scoreless innings, leading Houston over the Texas Rangers.

Keuchel (12-4), the starting pitcher for the American League in the All-Star Game last Tuesday night, retired 18 straight batters during one stretch. The Rangers piled up a total of 29 hits in the first two games of the series, but couldn't do anything against Keuchel. He leads the AL with a 2.12 ERA.

Luis Valbuena had four hits and four RBIs, and Colby Rasmus and Preston Tucker had two-run homers.

Yovani Gallardo (7-9) yielded seven hits and tied a season-high with five runs in four-plus innings for his third straight loss.

YANKEES 2, MARINERS 1

NEW YORK (AP) - Mark Teixeira homered with two outs in the eighth inning, and the New York Yankees rallied for a victory over the Seattle Mariners for a series win.

On a steamy day with a game-time temperature of 92 degrees - a thermometer in the photographers' well down the first-base line read over 100 - both Cy Young Award winning starters, CC Sabathia and Felix Hernandez, were done after six impressive innings with the score tied 1-all.

Teixeira connected on a 1-2 pitch from former closer Fernando Rodney (2-4), who had a new copper-colored beard and hairdo. Dellin Betances (6-2) walked two in the eighth, but got Mark Trumbo to pop out to end the threat. Andrew Miller finished for his 20th save in 20 chances.

ORIOLES 9, TIGERS 3

DETROIT (AP) - Jonathan Schoop hit a three-run homer - part of Baltimore's six-run fourth inning against Justin Verlander - and the Orioles routed the Detroit Tigers.

Adam Jones also homered for the Orioles, and J.J. Hardy added a two-run double. Verlander (0-3) allowed seven runs and eight hits in 3 2/3 innings, another ugly start for a Detroit rotation that has suddenly become a weak link.

Both teams finished with 14 hits.

Miguel Gonzalez (8-6) allowed two runs and six hits in five innings. The Tigers (45-46) fell below .500 for the first time since they were 1-2 early in the 2013 season.

ROYALS 4, WHITE SOX 1

CHICAGO (AP) - Danny Duffy took a shutout into the ninth inning in the longest outing of his career, and the surging Kansas City Royals beat Chris Sale and the Chicago White Sox.

Lorenzo Cain and Paulo Orlando homered as Kansas City (55-35) moved a season-high 20 games above .500. The AL Central leaders took three of four in the weekend series and have won 11 of 14 overall.

Duffy (4-4) gave up rookie Tyler Saladino's leadoff drive in the ninth for his first career homer. Joe Blanton then came in and got the last three outs for his first career save in his 278th major league game.

Sale (8-5) was tagged for a season-high 11 hits in 6 1/3 innings. The All-Star lefty gave up four runs, struck out six and walked one.

ATHLETICS 14, TWINS 1

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - Jake Smolinski homered twice for four RBIs, Josh Reddick hit a grand slam and the Oakland Athletics slugged past the Minnesota Twins.

Billy Butler and Josh Phegley hit two-run homers for the A's, who cleared the fences a season-high five times to boost their 2015 total to 80.

Jesse Chavez (5-9) struck out nine in six innings for his second highest total of the year. Smolinski followed Butler's third-inning home run with a solo drive off Tommy Milone (5-2) for his first clout with the A's. Reddick hit his third career grand slam in the fifth against J.R. Graham.

BLUE JAYS 4, RAYS 0

TORONTO (AP) - Marco Estrada pitched eight shutout innings to outduel Chris Archer, Chris Colabello and Jose Bautista each hit two-run homers and the Toronto Blue Jays beat the Tampa Bay Rays.

The Blue Jays snapped a streak of four straight series losses.

Estrada (7-5) allowed just two hits through the first seven innings, with both runners erased trying to steal.

Archer (9-7), who is winless in four starts, allowed two runs and five hits in seven innings.

INDIANS 5, REDS 3, 11 INNINGS

CINCINNATI (AP) - Yan Gomes drew a bases-loaded walk to drive in the tiebreaking run in the 11th inning and the Cleveland Indians beat the Cincinnati Reds.

Jason Kipnis added a sacrifice fly in the 11th for Cleveland, which scored its first four runs on walks.

Pedro Villareal (1-3) gave up singles to Mike Aviles, Michael Bourn and Brandon Moss to open the 11th and load the bases. He then walked Gomes for force in the Indians' go-ahead run and Kipnis followed with his sacrifice fly.

Marc Rzepczynski (2-3) pitched two-thirds of an inning to get the win, and Zach McAllister got the last two outs for his first career save.

PHILLIES 8, MARLINS 7

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Jeff Francoeur's two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning lifted the Philadelphia Phillies over the Miami Marlins.

Ryan Howard and Freddy Galvis also homered for the Phillies. Philadelphia ace Cole Hamels was roughed up for the second straight outing, giving up five runs and eight hits in three innings. The left-hander, considered to be a top candidate to be dealt at the trading deadline, gave up a career-worst nine runs in 3 1/3 innings in his last outing.

A.J. Ramos (0-2) walked Carlos Ruiz to lead off the ninth and Francoeur homered to give the Phillies just their second sweep of the season. Hector Neris (1-0) pitched a scoreless ninth to earn the win.

BREWERS 6, PIRATES 1

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Rookie Taylor Jungmann pitched seven strong innings, Khris Davis hit a two-run double and the Milwaukee Brewers beat the Pittsburgh Pirates for a sweep.

Jungmann (5-1), added to the Brewers' roster in early June, won his third straight decision. He gave up one run and five hits.

Pittsburgh had won 13 of 16 going into the All-Star break before losing three straight at Miller Park. Jeff Locke (5-6) allowed three runs in 7 1/3 innings.

Pirates shortstop Jordy Mercer was carted off the field after colliding with Carlos Gomez while trying to make a tag in the second inning. Mercer couldn't put pressure on his leg and was helped onto the cart.

GIANTS 2, DIAMONDBACKS 1

PHOENIX (AP) - Madison Bumgarner and four relievers scattered nine hits and Justin Maxwell homered, helping the San Francisco Giants beat the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Bumgarner (10-5) pitched five innings for the win, allowing a run and four hits with three strikeouts and a walk in his first start since July 10. The Giants won their sixth straight game and swept their second straight three-game series.

Patrick Corbin (1-2) took the loss on his 26th birthday, and the Diamondbacks have dropped six straight.

CUBS 4, BRAVES 1

ATLANTA (AP) - Jake Arrieta pitched seven dominant innings and Jorge Soler homered to help the Chicago Cubs beat the Atlanta Braves.

Arrieta (11-5) gave up three hits, three walks and struck out 10, throwing 73 of his 112 pitches for strikes. Over his last six starts, the right-hander is 5-0 with a 0.96 ERA.

Shelby Miller (5-6) struck out eight and allowed four hits, four walks and three runs - one earned - in six innings for the Braves. Atlanta has lost seven of eight.

After James Russell walked Perez with two outs in the ninth, Jason Motte gave up Simmons' RBI single, but he retired pinch-hitter Jonny Gomes on a groundout to end it.

Tokens
Under bettors are loving Wisler lately

Under backers have profited in each of Matt Wisler's past five outings.

The Atlanta Braves righty is the probable starter for Monday's clash with the Los Angeles Dodgers. L.A. is scheduled to counter with Brandon Beachy.

As of this writing, the total for the game was off the board.

Tokens
Wins have been rare for Mariners behind Happ

In J.A. Happ's last eight starts, the Seattle Mariners are a paltry 1-7.

The lefty is slated to get the ball Monday when the M's take on the Detroit Tigers in the Motor City. The Mariners are presently +101 at Pinnacle Sports.

Tokens
MLB
Armadillo's Write-Up

Monday, July 20

National League
Mets @ Nationals
Harvey is 2-2, 1.99 in his last five starts; four of those five stayed under.

Gonzalez is 2-0, 0.90 in his last three starts; three of his last four home starts stayed under the total.

Mets are 4-6 in last ten games with Washington; six of last eight series games stayed under total. Nats won nine of last 13 home games; 11 of their last 13 home games stayed under. NY is 6-4 in its last 10 road games; 13 of their last 17 road games stayed under.

Cubs @ Reds
Richard allowed two runs in 6.1 IP (91 PT) in his first '15 start.

Lorenzen is 0-2, 3.45 in his last three starts; four of his last five stayed under he total- Reds scored two runs in the three games.

Chicago lost four of last six games; under is 8-2-1 in their last 11 on road. Reds lost six of their last eight home games. Cubs won six of their last seven games with Cincinnati.

Dodgers @ Braves
Former Brave Beachy allowed three runs in four IP (78 PT) in his first '15 start, his first MLB start since 2013.

Wisler is 2-0, 2.65 in his last three starts; under is 4-0-1 in his last five.

Braves won eight of last 12 home games; 11 of their last 14 games at home stayed under. LA is 14-6 in its last 20 games, 8-2 in last ten on road,. Under is 13-3 in their last 16 road games. Dodgers won eight of last ten games with the Braves; three of last four went over.

Giants @ Padres
Hudson was 2-2, 5.48 in his last four starts before going on DL; three of the four games went over.

Kennedy is 0-4, 7.17 in his last four starts; his last six starts stayed under.

Giants won four of last six games with San Diego; four of last six went under total. SF won last its six games, outscoring foes 43-19; over is 22-8 in their last 30 road games. San Diego lost six of last ten home games; over is 13-5-1 in their last 19 at home.

American League
Mariners @ Tigers
Happ is 1-4, 6.23 in his last six starts; over is 3-1-1 in his last five. .

Simon is 1-3, 11.41 in his last five starts; his last seven starts went over.

Seattle lost four of last six games; under is 10-2 in Seattle's last 12 road games. Tigers lost five of last six games; over is 23-3 in their last 26 games, 11-1 in their last dozen at home. Mariners are 5-3 in their last eight games vs Detroit.

Red Sox @ Angels
Rodriguez is 2-0, 2.08 in his last three starts; four of his last six went over. Wright is 1-2, 4.70 in his last four starts, last of which was June 4.

Santiago is 2-0, 1.00 in his last four starts; under is 8-4 in his last 12. Angels are 4-0 when Heaney starts (3-0, 1.32, over 2-2).

Boston lost seven of last nine games with the Angels; seven of last ten games stayed under total. Red Sox didn't score the last two games. Halos are 16-7 in last 23 home games, with last nine all staying under total.

Interleague
Rays @ Phillies
Moore is 1-0, 7.07 in his three starts (14 IP, over 2-0-1).

Buchanon is 0-5, 7.58 in his six starts (over 3-2-1).

Tampa Bay lost eight of last 11 road games; over is 11-6-1 in their last 18 games overall. Phillies lost four of last five games with Tampa; three of last four went over. Philly won last three games; four of their last six went over.

Pirates @ Royals
Burnett is 1-0, 2.67 in his lst four starts, three of which went over.

Ventura is 1-3, 5.04 in his last five starts; under is 5-1-1 in his last seven.

Pirates won five of last six games with Kansas City (under 5-1); home side won eight of last nine series games. Pittsburgh lost last three games, allowing 18 runs; four of their last six went over. Royals won eight of last ten games; three of their last four stayed under.

Rangers @ Rockies
Martinez is 0-3, 6.66 in his last four starts; four of his last five went under.

Rusin is 0-1, 4.91 in his last three starts; Rockies are 0-6 in his starts if they score less than 10 runs- over is 2-1 in his home starts.

Texas lost 18 of last 23 games; under is 9-4-1 in last 14 road games. Colorado won last four home games, allowing 11 runs; five of their last seven games overall went under the total. Rockies won three of last four games vs Texas.

Win-loss records this year for team with this starting pitcher:
NY-Wsh-- Harvey 10-7; Gonzalez 10-6
Chi-Cin-- Richard 1-0; Lorenzen 5-7
LA-Atl-- Beachy 0-1; Wisler 3-2
Mia-Az-- Phelps 5-9; de la Rosa 9-9
SF-SD-- Hudson 7-8; Kennedy 6-10

Sea-Det-- Happ 7-10; Simon 9-8
Bos-LAA-- Rodriguez 6-3 Wright 1-3; Santiago 10-7 Heaney 4-0

TB-Phil-- Moore 1-2; Buchanon 0-6
Pitt-KC-- Burnett 11-7; Ventura 5-8
Tex-Colo-- Martinez 9-7; Rusin 2-6

Times this starting pitcher allowed a run in first inning:
NY-Wsh-- Harvey 5-17; Gonzalez 2-16
Chi-Cin-- Richard 0-1; Lorenzen 5-12
LA-Atl-- Beachy 0-1; Wisler 3-5
Mia-Az-- Phelps 5-14; de la Rosa 5-18
SF-SD-- Hudson 5-15; Kennedy 6-16

Sea-Det-- Happ 6-17; Simon 3-17
Bos-LAA-- Rodriguez 6-3 Wright 1-4; Santiago 10-7 Heaney 0-4

TB-Phil-- Moore 1-3; Buchanon 2-6
Pitt-KC-- Burnett 4-18; Ventura 4-13
Tex-Colo-- Martinez 3-16; Rusin 3-8

Tokens
MLB

Monday, July 20

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trend Report
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7:05 PM
NY METS vs. WASHINGTON
NY Mets are 5-2 SU in its last 7 games
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of NY Mets's last 9 games
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Washington's last 8 games when playing NY Mets
Washington is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games at home

7:05 PM
TAMPA BAY vs. PHILADELPHIA
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Tampa Bay's last 6 games
Tampa Bay is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia
The total has gone OVER in 17 of Philadelphia's last 25 games
Philadelphia is 6-15 SU in its last 21 games

7:08 PM
SEATTLE vs. DETROIT
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Seattle's last 6 games when playing Detroit
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Seattle's last 5 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 22 of Detroit's last 25 games
Detroit is 6-12 SU in its last 18 games when playing at home against Seattle

7:10 PM
LA DODGERS vs. ATLANTA
LA Dodgers are 4-2 SU in their last 6 games when playing on the road against Atlanta
LA Dodgers are 10-2 SU in their last 12 games when playing Atlanta
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Atlanta's last 6 games when playing at home against LA Dodgers
Atlanta is 2-10 SU in their last 12 games when playing LA Dodgers

7:10 PM
CHI CUBS vs. CINCINNATI
Chi Cubs are 6-1 SU in their last 7 games when playing Cincinnati
Chi Cubs are 4-2 SU in their last 6 games when playing on the road against Cincinnati
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Cincinnati's last 6 games when playing at home against Chi Cubs
Cincinnati is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games at home

8:10 PM
PITTSBURGH vs. KANSAS CITY
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Pittsburgh's last 6 games when playing on the road against Kansas City
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Pittsburgh's last 6 games
Kansas City is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing at home against Pittsburgh
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Kansas City's last 6 games when playing at home against Pittsburgh

8:40 PM
TEXAS vs. COLORADO
Texas is 1-7 SU in its last 8 games when playing on the road against Colorado
Texas is 2-9 SU in its last 11 games
Colorado is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games when playing at home against Texas
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Colorado's last 7 games when playing at home against Texas

9:40 PM
MIAMI vs. ARIZONA
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Miami's last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Miami's last 8 games when playing on the road against Arizona
Arizona is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games at home
Arizona is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Miami

10:05 PM
BOSTON vs. LA ANGELS
Boston is 1-4-1 SU in its last 6 games ,
Boston is 1-3-1 SU in their last 5 games ,when playing on the road against LA Angels
LA Angels6-1-1 SU in their last 8 games at home
LA Angels7-2-1 SU in their last 10 games when playing Boston

10:10 PM
SAN FRANCISCO vs. SAN DIEGO
San Francisco is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games when playing San Diego
The total has gone OVER in 7 of San Francisco's last 10 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of San Diego's last 6 games when playing San Francisco
San Diego4-0-1 SU in its last 5 games

Tokens
MLB

Monday, July 20

Wins have been rare for Mariners behind Happ

In J.A. Happ's last eight starts, the Seattle Mariners are a paltry 1-7.

The lefty is slated to get the ball Monday when the M's take on the Detroit Tigers in the Motor City. The Mariners are presently +101 at Pinnacle Sports.

Under bettors are loving Wisler lately

Under backers have profited in each of Matt Wisler's past five outings.

The Atlanta Braves righty is the probable starter for Monday's clash with the Los Angeles Dodgers. L.A. is scheduled to counter with Brandon Beachy.

As of this writing, the total for the game was off the board.

Tokens
MLB

Monday, July 20

Dodgers RHP Greinke extends scoreless-inning streak

WASHINGTON -- What is it about scoreless inning streaks and the Los Angeles Dodgers?

Right-hander Zack Greinke threw eight scoreless innings on Sunday in a 5-0 win in Washington over the Nationals. That ran his scoreless streak to 43 2/3 innings.

He has not allowed a run in his last six starts. Since 1920, the only other pitchers do that were also with the Dodgers: Orel Hershiser in 1988 and Don Drysdale in 1968, years they both had long streaks of their own.

Cardinals' Wacha likely to make Tuesday start

ST. LOUIS -- After a wacky 3-1, 18-inning loss to the New York Mets on Sunday in Busch Stadium, St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Matheny wouldn't commit to the idea of moving starter Michael Wacha up 24 hours to open an interleague series Tuesday night at the Chicago White Sox.

However, there doesn't appear to be a palatable Plan B. The scheduled starter, Carlos Martinez, worked the last four innings in relief Sunday and took the loss. No way he comes back to start on one day of rest.

What's more, Wacha hasn't pitched since July 8, so he is well-rested. And Monday's off day would allow the team to move Lance Lynn into the Wednesday night start on normal rest.

The team has worked to find ways to save innings for its young right-handers, Wacha and Lynn. It is why the Cardinals placed them fourth and fifth in the rotation after the All-Star break, giving them nearly two weeks between outings.

Diamondbacks need to replace injured starter Anderson

PHOENIX -- The Diamondbacks have used nine starting pitchers in their first 90 games, and it appears No. 10 will come soon.

Arizona placed right-hander Chase Anderson on the disabled list with right triceps inflammation Sunday, a day after he gave up 10 hits and seven runs in 3 2/3 innings, and will need another starter to face Milwaukee on Thursday, the seventh game in a stretch of 13 games in 13 days.

With right-hander Archie Bradley still on the disabled list and not close to returning, the D-backs likely will dip into the minor league system to fill the void. Triple-A Reno right-handers Aaron Blair and Jhoulys Chacin and Double-A right-hander A.J. Schugel appear to be the top candidates, although Reno right-hander Allen Webster could be an option. Blair, Chacin and Schugel haven't started for the D-backs this season.

Rays' hitters aren't doing their part

TORONTO -- The Tampa Bay Rays are built around strong and deep pitching.

However, it takes some hitting to take advantage of the opportunities the pitching creates, and the Rays do not bat well enough.

Right-hander Chris Archer pitched well enough to win Sunday. He allowed two runs in seven innings but took the loss as the Rays fell 4-0 to the Toronto Blue Jays.

It was the ninth time the Rays were shut out this season, tied for the most in the American League. Their total of 337 runs scored ranks 13th in the league.

In 35 games, they scored two or fewer runs.

Tokens
MLB
Dunkel

Monday, July 20

NY Mets @ Washington

Game 951-952
July 20, 2015 @ 7:05 pm

Dunkel Rating:
NY Mets
(Harvey) 16.459
Washington
(Gonzalez) 15.059
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
NY Mets
by 1 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Washington
Dunkel Pick:
NY Mets
(+100); Over

Chicago Cubs @ Cincinnati

Game 953-954
July 20, 2015 @ 7:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Chicago Cubs
(Richard) 16.812
Cincinnati
(Lorenzen) 15.414
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Chicago Cubs
by 1 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Cincinnati
8 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Chicago Cubs
(-105); Under

LA Dodgers @ Atlanta

Game 955-956
July 20, 2015 @ 7:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
LA Dodgers
(Beachy) 15.433
Atlanta
(Wisler) 16.427
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Atlanta
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
LA Dodgers
Dunkel Pick:
Atlanta
(+125); Under

Miami @ Arizona

Game 957-958
July 20, 2015 @ 9:40 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Miami
(Phelps) 14.781
Arizona
(DeLaRosa) 13.665
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Miami
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Arizona
8 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Miami
(+125); Under

San Francisco @ San Diego

Game 959-960
July 20, 2015 @ 10:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
San Francisco
(Hudson) 16.571
San Diego
(Kennedy) 15.154
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
San Francisco
by 1 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
San Francisco
Dunkel Pick:
San Francisco
(-115); Under

Seattle @ Detroit

Game 961-962
July 20, 2015 @ 7:08 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Seattle
(Happ) 17.531
Detroit
(Simon) 16.053
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Seattle
by 1 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Detroit
Dunkel Pick:
Seattle
(+100); Over

Boston @ LA Angels

Game 963-964
July 20, 2015 @ 10:05 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Boston
(Wright) 15.562
LA Angels
(Heaney) 17.527
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
LA Angels
by 2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
LA Angels
Dunkel Pick:
LA Angels
(-165); Over

Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia

Game 965-966
July 20, 2015 @ 7:05 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Tampa Bay
(Moore) 16.184
Philadelphia
(Buchanan) 14.772
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Tampa Bay
by 1 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Tampa Bay
Dunkel Pick:
Tampa Bay
(-155); Under

Pittsburgh @ Kansas City

Game 967-968
July 20, 2015 @ 8:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Pittsburgh
(Burnett) 14.647
Kansas City
(Ventura) 16.192
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Kansas City
by 1 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Kansas City
7 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Kansas City
(-135); Over

Texas @ Colorado

Game 969-970
July 20, 2015 @ 8:40 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Texas
(Martinez) 13.268
Colorado
(Rusin) 12.490
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Texas
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Colorado
Dunkel Pick:
Texas
(+115); Under

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com