Cnotes Sports Page For Tuesday July 21st Best Bets-Trends-News !

Search

Tokens
Preview: Mariners (42-50) at Tigers (45-46)
Game: 2
Venue: Comerica Park
Date: July 21, 2015 7:08 PM EDT

Ian Kinsler's weekend meltdown was a microcosm of the frustrations the Detroit Tigers have endured this season.

They're hoping his two-homer game provides a spark for better things to come as the Tigers continue their four-game series with the Seattle Mariners on Tuesday night.

Kinsler was ejected for slamming his bat to the ground and then slamming the handle down after the bat broke during a flyout in a 9-3 loss to Baltimore on Sunday, a defeat which dropped Detroit (46-46) below .500 for the first time this season.

The reigning four-time AL Central champion - plagued by injuries and inconsistency as it tries to overcome a 9 1/2-game deficit to Kansas City in the division - returned to the break-even mark Monday night when Kinsler's eighth-inning, go-ahead two-run shot provided a 5-4 victory over Seattle (42-51).

"It's always fun to win a game late," Kinsler said. "You have to start somewhere, and hopefully we can take off from here and get the ball rolling."

While it was a rare power surge for Kinsler, who entered the game with three homers, he has been hitting the ball better. The second baseman is 12 for 30 with three homers, three doubles and a 1.238 OPS in his last eight games.

Kinsler and the Tigers look to extend the woes of Taijuan Walker (7-7, 4.84 ERA), who is hoping the All-Star break provided a clean slate after he struggled in his final two starts on the heels of winning his previous five. He was ripped for seven runs in five-plus innings in a 10-3 defeat to the Los Angeles Angels on July 12.

The Tigers also roughed up Walker in his only appearance against them July 7. Nick Castellanos, Marc Krauss and Alex Avila all homered as the right-hander allowed five runs in six innings of Seattle's 7-6, 11-inning victory. Walker, though, carries a four-start road winning streak into Comerica Park, posting a 1.04 ERA during that run.

"My last two starts weren't the best, (I'm) going to be confident and focused," Walker said. "I was getting behind everyone and throwing fastballs in hitters' counts. When I get ahead early, I can extend the zone a lot."

Detroit hops Shane Greene (4-7, 6.32) can end his struggles and avoid becoming the first Tigers pitcher to lose six consecutive starts since Rick Porcello in 2012. He's been provided only two runs of support during his losing streak, but Greene has done himself no favors with a 12.57 ERA while giving up eight homers and 36 hits overall in 19 1-3 innings over those five starts.

That stretch was interrupted by a demotion to the minors, and his longball struggles surfaced again July 12 in his first start after being recalled. Greene, who opened the season 3-0 with a 0.39 ERA in his first three starts, yielded two homers among his seven hits and gave up seven runs over 4 2-3 innings in a 7-1 defeat at Minnesota.

"My pregame bullpen was really, really good. I've just got to do a better job of taking that into the game with me," said Greene, winless since May 15.

Facing a resurgent Robinson Cano won't help. The second baseman lashed an opposite-field homer Monday and is 5 for 11 with three home runs in his last three games.

"He's starting to come around, driving the ball, it's good to see," manager Lloyd McClendon said.

Cano has hit .400 with three homers in seven games against Detroit since the start of 2014.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Mariners at Tigers
Mon, Jul 20 - Final 4 to 5
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Mariners at Tigers
Tue, Jul 21 - 7:08PM EDT

GAME 3
Mariners at Tigers
Wed, Jul 22 - 7:08PM EDT

GAME 4
Mariners at Tigers
Thu, Jul 23 - 1:08PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Mets (48-44) at Nationals (49-41)
Venue: Nationals Park
Date: July 21, 2015 7:05 PM EDT

Jacob deGrom's first appearance since his outstanding All-Star Game performance came with a bat in his hand.

The New York Mets need him to make an impact in a more customary role.

DeGrom looks to continue his road dominance and beat the NL East-leading Washington Nationals for the first time Tuesday night.

DeGrom (9-6, 2.14 ERA) made quite an impression as the Mets' lone All-Star last Tuesday, striking out the side on 10 pitches in the sixth inning.

"That was unreal," deGrom told MLB's official website. "I was looking forward to getting a chance to throw, and I was pretty nervous in the bullpen, but when I got out there, the nerves kind of went away. And it was an awesome experience."

The right-hander hasn't pitched in any other game since July 8 but did play Sunday, walking as a pinch-hitter in the 17th inning before the Mets (48-45) won 3-1 at St. Louis in the next inning.

This time, deGrom takes the mound looking to extend a 16-inning shutout streak on the road - the longest by a Met since Johan Santana went 20 in 2010. He's 4-1 with an 0.94 ERA over his last five road starts with 38 strikeouts and five walks in 38 1-3 innings.

DeGrom, though, is 0-2 with a 4.15 ERA in three starts against the Nationals (50-41).

The Mets failed to get this three-game set off to a strong start Monday, falling 7-2 as Matt Harvey was touched for five runs. His single drove in both of their runs as the offense went 1 for 10 with runners in scoring position.

New York is 4 for 72 in that scenario over the past nine games, and that must improve if the team is going to close the three-game gap on Washington in the division race.

"We've got to go score some runs. That's how you win the games. We like our pitching. We think we'll stay in games," manager Terry Collins said. "But we got to put some points up, too."

Daniel Murphy is in a 6-for-39 slump overall and has hit .182 in eight meetings with the Nationals this year.

Washington is recalling Joe Ross (2-1, 2.66) from Triple-A Syracuse with Stephen Strasburg (oblique) on the disabled list. The rookie right-hander was impressive during his three-start stint last month, winning his last two while allowing three runs with 19 strikeouts in 15 1-3 innings.

"He stepped in (for) his first start and acted as if he'd been here before," manager Matt Williams said. "And then, of course, his other two starts were even better. We have a comfort level that he can come up here and do what he can do to help us win that particular game that he pitches."

Ross went 3-0 with a 1.37 ERA over his last four starts with Syracuse.

Ian Desmond, batting .208, had a two-run homer and singled Monday after going 3 for 44 over his previous 13 games. He credited a chance encounter with a Hall of Famer for his slump-busting performance.

"The other day, I was walking to the park, and Cal Ripken was out there signing autographs in the parking lot," Desmond said. "He kind of grabbed me and he said, 'Hey, back in '93, through the first 80 games, I was hitting .199.' He said, 'I finished with a pretty good year. You're going to be all right.' And that kind of gave me a little bit of hope. If he did it and grinded through it, I can, too."

Desmond is hitting .339 in his last 16 home games against the Mets but is 0 for 5 against deGrom this year.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Mets at Nationals
Mon, Jul 20 - Final 2 to 7
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Mets at Nationals
Tue, Jul 21 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Mets at Nationals
Wed, Jul 22 - 12:35PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Rays (47-47) at Phillies (32-62)
Venue: Citizens Bank Park
Date: July 21, 2015 7:05 PM EDT

As the Philadelphia Phillies get their first glimpse of a potential franchise cornerstone, the Tampa Bay Rays could welcome one back.

Phillies fans have eagerly anticipated the major league debut of Aaron Nola during a season lacking excitement, and that happens Tuesday night at Citizens Bank Park with the right-hander potentially having to face Steven Souza Jr. if the Rays' home run leader returns.

Selected seventh overall in 2014, Nola will become the first Phillies player since Pat Combs in 1989 to debut in the majors the year after he was drafted. An LSU product who turned 22 last month, Nola was the No. 2 prospect in the organization.

"It always is fun to see somebody be inserted into the team, especially this year, and give everybody a little boost," interim manager Pete Mackanin told MLB's official website. "That's why everybody's kind of anxious to see him perform. I know he's got good enough stuff to be competitive here."

Despite going 10-4 with a 2.39 ERA and a 5.11 strikeout-to-walk ratio this year, Nola was surprised to be called up because his latest start was subpar. Pitching for Triple-A Lehigh Valley on Thursday, he was ripped for six runs and seven hits in three innings.

"We want to find out if he's nervous, how he handles himself on the mound, if he gets into trouble, how he handles it," Mackanin said. "But you have to keep in mind it's his first appearance."

Souza, meanwhile, rejoined the Rays (47-48) on Monday and took batting practice after being on the disabled list since July 6 due to a lacerated pinky. He's eligible to return Tuesday and hopes to be in the lineup.

"No pain when I swing," said Souza, who played in Class A over the weekend. "It doesn't affect my swing. Feeling good."

The rookie right fielder has 15 homers while no teammate is in double digits. However, Souza's 108 strikeouts are fourth-most in baseball and he had two hits in his last 31 at-bats, dropping his average to .210.

The lineup hasn't been doing well without him, batting .189 in the last eight games while averaging 2.6 runs. Evan Longoria's slump is at 1 for 19 and James Loney's is 3 for 26 after both went hitless in Monday's 5-3 defeat to open this series.

"We didn't do much to win the game," manager Kevin Cash said. "We had some opportunities. It's kind of becoming a broken record."

Philadelphia's offense ranks among the NL's worst in most major categories but has been clutch since the All-Star break. The Phillies (33-62) have won all four games - they lost 15 of 18 before the break - while batting .364 (12 for 33) with runners in scoring position.

Cesar Hernandez had two hits and two RBIs for the second straight game Monday. Jeff Francoeur had two more hits and has reached base in all but one of his seven plate appearances since the break, driving in five runs and scoring four.

Tampa Bay's Nathan Karns (4-5, 3.63 ERA) starts for the first time since a dreadful outing July 9 in Kansas City, where he allowed career highs of seven runs and nine hits in six innings of an 8-3 defeat. He didn't walk a batter for the first time this year but served up two homers after allowing none in his previous five games, during which he had a 1.78 ERA.

The Rays were a major league-best 21-11 in road games through June 20 but have since lost 10 of 12.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Rays at Phillies
Mon, Jul 20 - Final 3 to 5
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Rays at Phillies
Tue, Jul 21 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Rays at Phillies
Wed, Jul 22 - 1:05PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Cubs (49-41) at Reds (40-49)
Venue: Great American Ball Park
Date: July 21, 2015 7:10 PM EDT

Although he was the Home Run Derby champ and is among the major league longball leaders, Todd Frazier had gone a long time without hitting one in a game until the Cincinnati Reds' series opener against the Chicago Cubs.

With that drought over, Frazier will try to lead the Reds to another victory over their NL Central rivals Tuesday night and keep highly touted Cubs prospect Kyle Schwarber winless in his return to Cincinnati.

After being left out of the starting lineup Sunday, Frazier snapped a 15-game homerless streak with one of Cincinnati's trio of two-out longballs in a 5-4 victory Monday. His 26th home run of the season also ended an 0-for-10 slump since the All-Star break.

"I wasn't feeling right. The day off helped me a lot," said Frazier, who won the Derby at Great American Ball Park last Monday. "I didn't change nothing; I was just swinging at bad pitches. But it's a new week."

Jay Bruce had the go-ahead two-run shot in the sixth, and the Reds (41-49) got a sparkling defensive play from second baseman Brandon Phillips in just their third win in 10 games this season against the Cubs (49-42).

Schwarber, meanwhile, went 1 for 4 and scored a run in the first of at least three starts in this four-game series. He grew up about 40 miles away from Cincinnati in Middletown, Ohio, and was MVP of the Futures Game during the All-Star festivities there.

The 22-year-old catcher is batting .375 in 10 games with Chicago.

Schwarber could be behind the plate for Jason Hammel (5-4, 2.86 ERA), who hasn't pitched since an abbreviated start July 8. He was limited to one inning in a 6-5 loss to St. Louis because of tightness in his hamstring, and he's expected to wear a brace in this game.

Hammel said he didn't experience any issues in a side session Saturday.

"It's probably as close to normal as it could've been," he told MLB's official website.

The right-hander has failed to make it past the fifth inning in four of his last six starts, beginning with his lone matchup against Cincinnati this season. He allowed four runs - two earned - in five innings in a 5-4, 10-inning loss June 12.

Hammel is 0-1 with a 5.34 ERA in five career starts against the Reds.

Raisel Iglesias (1-2, 5.90) will make his first start versus Chicago and second overall since returning from the disabled list (strained left oblique) on July 11. He tossed four scoreless innings against Miami but didn't make it out of the fifth and was charged with five runs in a 14-3 drubbing.

Bruce is batting .423 with three homers and three doubles in his last seven games. He's 4 for 28 in his past eight against the Cubs despite Monday's 2-for-4 performance and is 3 for 10 with a home run lifetime against Hammel.

Frazier has hit .321 with three homers and four doubles in his last seven games against Chicago, and he doubled and homered off Hammel last month. Joey Votto, batting .400 in his past 10 games, has batted .185 in his last eight against the Cubs and is 2 for 14 against Hammel.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Cubs at Reds
Mon, Jul 20 - Final 4 to 5
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Cubs at Reds
Tue, Jul 21 - 7:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Cubs at Reds
Wed, Jul 22 - 12:35PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Cardinals (58-34) at White Sox (42-48)
Game: 1
Venue: U.S. Cellular Field
Date: July 21, 2015 8:10 PM EDT

The Chicago White Sox's surge heading into the All-Star break prompted general manager Rick Hahn to be coy about his plans prior to the trade deadline.

He's going to have a more difficult time putting off decisions after the White Sox dropped three of four to open the second half, leading to more speculation that changes could be imminent.

The MLB-best St. Louis Cardinals are in a much more comfortable position as they begin a two-game series in Chicago on Tuesday night.

The White Sox (42-48) won nine of 12 heading into the break, and Hahn wouldn't commit to being a seller at the deadline or taking a shot at what appears to be an unlikely run at a postseason spot.

Chicago has scored fewer than three runs in four of its last five and fell 4-1 to AL Central-leading Kansas City on Sunday - the seventh time they've lost when Chris Sale pitches.

Manager Robin Ventura is trying to limit the distractions with the July 31 deadline approaching.

'I know everybody wants to talk about (trade rumors), but we're going to play as hard as we can against St. Louis," Ventura said.

The White Sox began their strong finish to the first half with a pair of wins against the Cardinals, earning a 2-1, 11-inning victory June 30 before sweeping the series with a 7-1 win the following night.

St. Louis (58-34) has gone 7-10 since the start of that set but still possesses the best record in baseball. It won the first two of its weekend series against the New York Mets before losing Sunday's 18-inning marathon 3-1.

Kolten Wong's homer in the bottom of the 13th tied it before the Mets scored twice off Carlos Martinez in the final inning. Martinez originally was scheduled to start this game but was forced to pitch four innings after the Cardinals ran out of available relievers.

'We were trying to stay away from Martinez, but it got to the point where it was not possible," manager Mike Matheny said.

That means Michael Wacha (10-3, 2.93 ERA) will move up one day to start this matchup. Wacha had a rough road outing against the Chicago Cubs in his last start July 8, allowing a season high-tying five runs in six innings before the Cardinals rallied for a 6-5 win.

The right-hander went 7-0 with a 1.87 ERA over his first nine starts, but he has a 4.17 ERA over his last eight.

Rookie Carlos Rodon (3-2, 3.80) opposes Wacha looking to get a grasp on his control.

Rodon allowed two hits over six innings of the White Sox's 1-0 win over the Cubs on July 10, but he tied a season high with six walks. He's walked at least three in four straight starts, and his 5.56 walks per nine innings are the worst in the majors among pitchers with at least 66 innings.

The left-hander has allowed eight first-inning runs over his last five starts, and the White Sox have given up a run in the first in four of their last five. Chicago's 72 runs allowed in the initial inning are among the most in baseball.

The Cardinals' .257 average ranks in the top 10 in the majors, but they're hitting .218 in eight games in AL parks. Top prospect Stephen Piscotty is expected to make his major league debut in this series, possibly at designated hitter.

Outfielder Jason Heyward could return to the lineup after sitting out Sunday because of a head cold and dehydration.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Cardinals at White Sox
Tue, Jul 21 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 2
Cardinals at White Sox
Wed, Jul 22 - 8:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Indians (44-47) at Brewers (41-52)
Venue: Miller Park

The success of the Milwaukee Brewers over the past 17 games has had a lot to do with an effective lineup. Over the same sample size, the Cleveland Indians have leaned heavily on pitching.

The clubs meet Tuesday night at Miller Park, where the Brewers will try to extend their longest home winning streak of the season while beating the Indians for the eighth straight time in their first meeting since 2009.

After completing a three-game sweep of Pittsburgh with Sunday's 6-1 victory, Milwaukee (41-52) has won four straight at home as part of a 13-4 overall span and can get back to 10 games under .500 for the first time since being 15-25 on May 19. The Brewers are averaging 5.9 runs and batting .310 on the run, a pair of marks that lead the majors dating to June 28.

Jean Segura has a .404 average in 13 games this month after going 7 for 59 in the last 15 of June, and Ryan Braun is hitting .347 in his last 18.

They'll face Danny Salazar, who's coming off the second-longest start of his career. Salazar (8-4, 3.74 ERA) surrendered an unearned run and five hits with eight strikeouts in 8 2-3 innings of a 5-1 home win over Oakland on July 10. The right-hander lasted fewer than five innings in three of his previous four starts.

After Sunday's 5-3, 11-inning win in Cincinnati, the starting staff's ERA is 2.67 over the past 17 games.

"You see one of the guys pitch a good game and then you want to go out there and pitch a good game, too," Salazar told MLB's official website. "We're competing and having fun at the same time. We're just pushing each other every day in practice, in the game, and it's working. We're going to keep doing that."

He's never beaten an NL team, going 0-3 with a 5.08 ERA in six starts as all of the losses have come in four starts in NL parks. Adam Lind is 0 for 4 with two strikeouts in their matchups, and the first baseman is in a 2-for-20 slump.

The Indians (44-47) will face Matt Garza, who's making his first start since going on the disabled list with shoulder tendinitis after having allowed at least four earned runs in four straight outings. Garza (4-10, 5.55) gave up four and 10 hits in six innings of an 8-7 win in Philadelphia on July 2, falling to 0-3 with a 7.88 ERA in that span.

"This was just a good spot for the doctor to have his say," Garza said. "He wanted me to skip a start a while back and I didn't want to, and he thought it was a good time just step back and give it a rest since the last couple of years I missed not weeks, but months."

The right-hander is 2-4 with a 4.81 ERA against Cleveland, but those eight starts came between 2006-10. Michael Bourn (10 for 19) and Brandon Moss (5 for 10 with a home run) have had success off Garza in their careers.

Garza will face a Cleveland lineup that's stepped it up in the last two games with 14 runs and 24 hits. Francisco Lindor had five of them, and the rookie is batting .355 in his last seven games. Jason Kipnis had four and is hitting .404 in 15 games against the NL this season.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Indians at Brewers

GAME 2
Indians at Brewers
Wed, Jul 22 - 2:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Blue Jays (47-47) at Athletics (43-51)
Venue: O.co Coliseum
Date: July 21, 2015 10:05 PM EDT

The last time the Toronto Blue Jays won consecutive games, the All-Star break was more than two weeks away and they were a game off the AL East pace.

Their thumping offense has since been erratic, and they're entering Josh Donaldson's return to Oakland on Tuesday night closer to the bottom of the division than the top.

The Blue Jays (47-47) took two of three in a home series with Tampa Bay, and Sunday's 4-0 win has them in position to string together victories for the first time since June 24-26. In that time, they're 7-12 with seven games of scoring two runs or fewer and a .237 average to fall 4 1/2 games behind the New York Yankees.

Donaldson was traded to Toronto in a five-player deal in November that included A's third baseman Brett Lawrie. He makes his visiting debut stuck in a 1-for-20 slump, and hit .228 at O.co Coliseum after the All-Star break in his final season with Oakland.

The pitcher Donaldson will face was also a part of the deal.

Kendall Graveman had been rolling before giving up four runs and seven hits in 5 2-3 innings of a 5-1 loss in Cleveland on July 10. Graveman (6-5, 3.38 ERA) had won his previous three starts, but he's still 5-3 with a 2.17 ERA in his last 10 starts.

The right-hander really struggled at home to start the season but hasn't allowed a run in his last two starts in Oakland as part of a 15-inning scoreless span.

Oakland (43-51) has won four of five, and its 29-21 record dating to May 23 is the best in the AL. In Sunday's 14-1 home win over Minnesota, newcomer Jake Smolinski homered twice and is 5 for 9 in four games since joining the big league club on July 7. The outfielder was acquired off waivers from Texas on June 21.

'It was a good day for everybody. Pitchers pitched great, hitters hit great. It was just a fun win," Smolinski said after the team clubbed five homers. "The team made me feel like I was a part since Day 1. Obviously everybody wants to help contribute and I'm just trying to do my part right now and hopefully we'll get it rolling."

The A's will have to unhinge Mark Buehrle for an encore effort.

Buehrle (10-5, 3.34) hasn't allowed more than two earned runs in his last eight starts, and a 6-2 win in Kansas City on July 11 gave him his 15th straight 10-win season. He gave up two runs and five hits in seven innings to get to 4-1 with a 1.55 ERA and 13.3 pitches per inning in those eight starts to drop his MLB-leading season mark to 13.9. That would be a career best, and the left-hander hasn't walked anyone in 22 innings over the last three.

"He's one of my favorite pitchers to play behind," shortstop Jose Reyes told MLB's official website. "He keeps you in the game. He just gets the ball and works fast, so you're going to have a lot of ground balls. He has had an amazing career."

It hasn't been because of his track record in Oakland, where Buehrle is 3-8 with a 4.15 ERA in 15 starts. He saw plenty of Billy Butler in the AL Central, and the A's designated hitter is 22 for 67 against him with three home runs. Butler enters having homered in consecutive games.

The A's won four of seven in last season's series, and the home team swept both sets with the Blue Jays scoring four runs in Oakland.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Blue Jays at Athletics
Tue, Jul 21 - 10:05PM EDT

GAME 2
Blue Jays at Athletics
Wed, Jul 22 - 10:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Blue Jays at Athletics
Thu, Jul 23 - 3:35PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Mariners (42-50) at Tigers (45-46)
Venue: Comerica Park
Date: July 21, 2015 7:08 PM EDT

Ian Kinsler's weekend meltdown was a microcosm of the frustrations the Detroit Tigers have endured this season.

They're hoping his two-homer game provides a spark for better things to come as the Tigers continue their four-game series with the Seattle Mariners on Tuesday night.

Kinsler was ejected for slamming his bat to the ground and then slamming the handle down after the bat broke during a flyout in a 9-3 loss to Baltimore on Sunday, a defeat which dropped Detroit (46-46) below .500 for the first time this season.

The reigning four-time AL Central champion - plagued by injuries and inconsistency as it tries to overcome a 9 1/2-game deficit to Kansas City in the division - returned to the break-even mark Monday night when Kinsler's eighth-inning, go-ahead two-run shot provided a 5-4 victory over Seattle (42-51).

"It's always fun to win a game late," Kinsler said. "You have to start somewhere, and hopefully we can take off from here and get the ball rolling."

While it was a rare power surge for Kinsler, who entered the game with three homers, he has been hitting the ball better. The second baseman is 12 for 30 with three homers, three doubles and a 1.238 OPS in his last eight games.

Kinsler and the Tigers look to extend the woes of Taijuan Walker (7-7, 4.84 ERA), who is hoping the All-Star break provided a clean slate after he struggled in his final two starts on the heels of winning his previous five. He was ripped for seven runs in five-plus innings in a 10-3 defeat to the Los Angeles Angels on July 12.

The Tigers also roughed up Walker in his only appearance against them July 7. Nick Castellanos, Marc Krauss and Alex Avila all homered as the right-hander allowed five runs in six innings of Seattle's 7-6, 11-inning victory. Walker, though, carries a four-start road winning streak into Comerica Park, posting a 1.04 ERA during that run.

"My last two starts weren't the best, (I'm) going to be confident and focused," Walker said. "I was getting behind everyone and throwing fastballs in hitters' counts. When I get ahead early, I can extend the zone a lot."

Detroit hops Shane Greene (4-7, 6.32) can end his struggles and avoid becoming the first Tigers pitcher to lose six consecutive starts since Rick Porcello in 2012. He's been provided only two runs of support during his losing streak, but Greene has done himself no favors with a 12.57 ERA while giving up eight homers and 36 hits overall in 19 1-3 innings over those five starts.

That stretch was interrupted by a demotion to the minors, and his longball struggles surfaced again July 12 in his first start after being recalled. Greene, who opened the season 3-0 with a 0.39 ERA in his first three starts, yielded two homers among his seven hits and gave up seven runs over 4 2-3 innings in a 7-1 defeat at Minnesota.

"My pregame bullpen was really, really good. I've just got to do a better job of taking that into the game with me," said Greene, winless since May 15.

Facing a resurgent Robinson Cano won't help. The second baseman lashed an opposite-field homer Monday and is 5 for 11 with three home runs in his last three games.

"He's starting to come around, driving the ball, it's good to see," manager Lloyd McClendon said.

Cano has hit .400 with three homers in seven games against Detroit since the start of 2014.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Mariners at Tigers
Mon, Jul 20 Final 4 to 5
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Mariners at Tigers
Tue, Jul 21 - 7:08PM EDT

GAME 3
Mariners at Tigers
Wed, Jul 22 - 7:08PM EDT

GAME 4
Mariners at Tigers
Thu, Jul 23 - 1:08PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Dodgers (53-41) at Braves (44-49)
Venue: Turner Field
Date: July 21, 2015 7:10 PM EDT

All-Stars Zack Greinke and Clayton Kershaw get the credit for the Los Angeles Dodgers owning one of the best rotations in baseball, but Brett Anderson is also doing his part.

Anderson looks to continue his strong stretch as the Dodgers face the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday night.

Los Angeles (53-41) has used a major league-high 12 starters, but they have produced a 3.13 ERA thanks in large part to Greinke (1.30) and Kershaw (2.68).

While they're the only members of the rotation to make 19 starts each, Anderson (5-5, 3.17 ERA) will keep pace with the Cy Young Award winners Tuesday.

The left-hander is 3-1 with a 2.48 ERA in his last six starts. He entered the All-Star break after allowing three runs and two homers in seven innings while not getting a decision in a 4-3 win over Milwaukee on July 12.

He's 3-2 with a 2.06 ERA over his last six road outings, winning the past two while yielding two runs and striking out 17 in 14 innings.

Anderson allowed two runs in seven innings and didn't figure in the decision of a 6-3 home victory in his only outing against the Braves (44-49) on May 25.

He takes the mound trying to help the Dodgers bounce back from Monday's 7-5 loss in the opener of this three-game set. Anderson will also try to slow down Nick Markakis, who is 6 for 10 with three doubles and three RBIs in his last three games against Los Angeles.

The right fielder doubled and connected for a two-run blast in the first inning. It was his first homer in 356 at-bats since Sept. 25, 2014, when he hit one for Baltimore at the New York Yankees.

"You know what? I don't care if he has one home run, no home runs or 30 home runs, he gives you great at-bats," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "He's a good hitter for us."

Jace Peterson had a two-run double and an RBI single Monday to improve to 4 for 25 in eight matchups with Los Angeles.

The Braves give the ball to Alex Wood (6-6, 3.76) for the first time since an 11-3 loss at Colorado on July 12. In his worst performance of the season, the left-hander gave up seven runs and 10 hits before being pulled with two outs in the sixth.

He's 1-3 with a 5.18 ERA in six home starts but this will be his first against the Dodgers as all four of his previous meetings - two starts - came on the road. Wood went 1-0 with a 1.08 ERA in those matchups, allowing one run in seven innings of a 3-2 win May 27.

He's held Jimmy Rollins and Adrian Gonzalez to a combined 2 for 25.

Gonzalez, though, is 10 for 20 with four homers and seven RBIs after hitting a two-run homer and a single in the opener. He's 6 for 17 with two homers and five RBIs in four season meetings with Atlanta.

The Dodgers are expected to activate Carl Crawford from the disabled list after a right oblique strain has sidelined him since April 28. He's 12 for 33 (.364) in 10 career games at Turner Field.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Dodgers at Braves
Mon, Jul 20 Final 5 to 7
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Dodgers at Braves
Tue, Jul 21 - 7:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Dodgers at Braves
Wed, Jul 22 - 12:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Pirates (54-38) at Royals (55-36)
Venue: Ewing M. Kauffman Stadium

After being swept by one of baseball's worst teams, the Pittsburgh Pirates broke out against the AL's best club.

They can secure a series victory Tuesday night behind Gerrit Cole against the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium.

Pittsburgh (54-38) won a major league-best 13 of its final 16 entering the All-Star break. The time off seemingly didn't do the Pirates any favors, though, as they dropped all three games of their weekend set with last-place Milwaukee, being limited to one run twice and allowing 18 for the series.

However, they matched their second-highest run total of the year and had 17 hits in Monday's 10-7 win over Kansas City, their 11th victory in 12 interleague contests.

Six players recorded multiple hits, with Travis Ishikawa homering and doubling twice to drive in four runs. Ishikawa, who came in 1 for 18 on the season in 15 games, owed much of his opportunity at first base Monday to infield attrition.

Shortstop Jordy Mercer was placed on the disabled list before the game due to a sprained left knee and bruise suffered in a collision with Carlos Gomez on Sunday. Third baseman Josh Harrison is already sidelined by a torn thumb ligament.

Jung Ho Kang was 2 for 4 starting at short, while first baseman Sean Rodriguez moved to third base, prompting Ishikawa's start at first. Kang is 11 for 25 with seven runs scored during a seven-game hitting streak.

"I couldn't tell you why it worked tonight. I'm just trying to see the ball. Wherever it goes, it goes," said Ishikawa, who was designated for assignment by San Francisco before being claimed by Pittsburgh. "I wish I could tell you I was controlling it, but if I could my average would have been a lot higher ... Tonight was just my night when the balls began to fall."

Looking to increase his big league-leading win total, Cole (13-3, 2.30 ERA) can also become the first Pirate with 14 victories before August since Dock Ellis in 1971. Ellis was 15-4 through July before finishing 19-9.

Cole hasn't pitched for the Pirates since a 5-2 victory over St. Louis on July 10 when he gave up two runs over seven innings. The right-hander improved to 8-1 in his last 10 starts.

"I feel good. I feel strong. I feel healthy," said Cole, who threw a scoreless third inning in last Tuesday's All-Star Game. "I feel like I've gotten better every time out in some area."

Cole sports a 6-1 road record with a 1.82 ERA, only losing May 16 to the Chicago Cubs. He has never faced the Royals but is 6-0 in his last eight interleague starts.

Kansas City (55-36) figures to present one of Cole's toughest challenges. The Royals had 14 hits Monday and are batting .320 while averaging 5.9 runs during a 9-3 stretch. Lorenzo Cain is batting .450 over his last 15 games.

Alcides Escobar, hitting .404 in his last 12 contests, flied out against Cole during the Midsummer Classic.

Jason Vargas (5-2, 4.10) returns for the Royals after missing six weeks with a strained left flexor muscle. Prior to the injury, he had logged three quality starts in four games, including his last outing June 8 when he threw six scoreless innings in a 3-1 victory at Minnesota. He won a rehab start with Double-A Northwest Arkansas last Monday, giving up two runs over 5 1-3 innings.

Vargas hasn't pitched against Pittsburgh since giving up eight runs in 3 1-3 innings of relief for the then-Florida Marlins in 2006.

The Royals own a 6-3 all-time advantage against the Pirates at home.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Pirates at Royals
Mon, Jul 20 Final 10 to 7
Boxscores

GAME 2
Pirates at Royals

GAME 3
Pirates at Royals

Tokens
Preview: Red Sox (42-51) at Astros (51-43)
Venue: Minute Maid Park

The Houston Astros might be rejuvenated after a late swoon to end the season's first half, while the Boston Red Sox have quickly erased the progress they made just before the All-Star break.

These teams open a three-game series Tuesday night at Minute Maid Park with rookie hurlers on the mound.

Houston (51-43) won two of three over the weekend against Texas, including a 10-0 victory Sunday. The Astros are hoping to use that lopsided win as a launching point for an offense that produced two runs or fewer six times while dropping eight of nine before the Midsummer Classic.

Carlos Correa went 5 for 11 with a homer and four RBIs in the series. He had two hits and scored three runs Sunday while Preston Tucker was 3 for 5 with a home run and Luis Valbuena went 4 for 5 with four RBIs.

"The middle part of our order was about as good as you could ask," manager A.J. Hinch told MLB's official website. " ... It was a complete offense we've seen before from our team."

The Red Sox (42-51) dropped both ends of Monday's doubleheader against the Los Angeles Angels and were outscored 22-4 while being swept in four games. Dustin Pedroia, Mookie Betts and Hanley Ramirez were a combined 0 for 44 in the series with 11 strikeouts.

Their five straight losses are the most since a season-worst seven-game skid June 9-15.

"This was a disappointing series all the way around," manager John Farrell said. "We fully expected to come in and put together a better series than what played out."

Boston had pulled within six games of the AL's second wild-card spot by winning nine of 13 prior to the All-Star break, but now sits 8 1/2 back while tied with Seattle for the AL's worst record.

Perhaps the Red Sox can draw upon their success against the Astros earlier this month, when they scored 19 runs while taking two of three July 3-5. Pablo Sandoval was 5 for 14, improving to 16 for 45 (.356) over his last 11 matchups, and the Red Sox extended their all-time series advantage to 19-7. They've won eight of 12 meetings in Houston.

Vincent Velasquez (0-1, 3.94 ERA) rejoins Houston from Double-A Corpus Christi for his seventh start. He put forth one of his better performances his last time out July 7, giving up two runs over 6 1-3 innings against Cleveland, but was left out to dry by the offense in a 2-0 defeat.

Velasquez was sent back down afterward but didn't appear in a game.

"We wanted him to get a little bit of a break in his season and use the roster a little bit more freely when we knew he wasn't going to pitch for a while," Hinch said. "He's demonstrated his ability to help us up here with his arm strength and secondary pitches. He threw very well in Cleveland, so it's a good time to bring him back."

Brian Johnson, one of Boston's top prospects, is making his major league debut. The left-hander fills in for Clay Buchholz, who went on the disabled list with a strained right flexor tendon.

Johnson, a 27th-round selection in the 2009 draft by the Los Angeles Dodgers, is 8-6 with a 2.73 ERA in 15 starts for Triple-A Pawtucket but hasn't thrown since July 6.

"Some things fell into place because of the break," manager John Farrell told MLB's official website. "It wasn't something we did to get him an extended period."

Correa was 7 for 14 with two homers in the teams' first series.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Red Sox at Astros

GAME 2
Red Sox at Astros

GAME 3
Red Sox at Astros
Thu, Jul 23 - 8:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Rangers (43-49) at Rockies (40-51)
Venue: Coors Field
Date: July 21, 2015 8:40 PM EDT

Matt Harrison was welcomed back to the big leagues in rough fashion in his first start in more than a year.

His second could be just as tough against a Colorado Rockies team currently thriving at home.

He looks to help the Texas Rangers avoid an 11th loss in 13 games Tuesday night against Colorado.

Harrison (0-1, 13.50 ERA) completed his comeback from spinal fusion surgery on July 8 against Arizona, but struggled in his first start since May 13, 2014. He surrendered six runs over four-plus innings in a 7-4 loss.

"I didn't know if it was going to happen," he said of his return. "I've got to get better - a lot better than I was tonight."

Coors Field is far from an ideal spot for a pitcher to bounce back from a bad outing, especially with the Rockies hitting .335 with 16 home runs while winning eight of their last 11 there. Harrison won his two previous starts against Colorado while throwing 10 1-3 scoreless innings, but both were in Arlington.

Colorado hasn't been overly effective against lefties with a meager .354 slugging percentage, though Troy Tulowitzki has been baseball's best hitter off southpaws. He's batting a major league-leading .397 against lefties with three home runs and six doubles.

Tulowitzki hit his 12th homer Monday and opened the ninth inning with a single, helping set up Ben Paulsen's eventual walkoff base hit in an 8-7 victory. Tulowitzki has reached base in 41 consecutive games, tying Todd Helton and Andres Galarraga for the second-longest streak in club history.

Michael Cuddyer's 46-game run in 2013 is the franchise record.

Tulowitzki, whose OPS has risen from .703 to .866 during his on-base streak, is 0 for 1 with two walks against Harrison.

Texas (43-49) continues to languish because of horrendous pitching. Nick Martinez gave up seven runs in four innings Monday, raising the team's ERA to 6.92 during its 2-10 slide with only two quality starts in that span.

Offensively, the Rangers received a big performance Adrian Beltre, who is 13 for 33 over his last eight games after going 3 for 5 with two doubles.

The Rockies (40-51) won for just the second time in 12 interleague games, though they squandered a 7-0 lead after two innings. Tulowitzki is 16 for 43 during a 10-game hitting streak against AL foes, while DJ LeMahieu, who tripled Monday, is 19 for 44 (.432) during an 11-game hitting streak overall.

Kyle Kendrick (3-10, 5.94) has struggled at Coors Field in his first year of calling it home. He's 1-4 with a 6.54 ERA in eight outings, surrendering 13 home runs in 42 2-3 innings.

A rain delay cut his last start short after one inning against Atlanta on July 9.

Kendrick was solid in his only matchup with the Rangers, holding them to one run over seven innings in Philadelphia's 4-3 road loss on April 2, 2014.

Prince Fielder is 3 for 7 with a home run against Kendrick.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Rangers at Rockies
Mon, Jul 20 Final 7 to 8
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Rangers at Rockies
Tue, Jul 21 - 8:40PM EDT

GAME 3
Rangers at Rockies
Wed, Jul 22 - 3:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Marlins (38-55) at Diamondbacks (43-48)
Venue: Chase Field
Date: July 21, 2015 9:40 PM EDT

The Arizona Diamondbacks ended a lengthy skid in this series opener by adding to one for the Miami Marlins.

Mat Latos starts for the first time in 2 1/2 weeks looking to help the Marlins snap an eight-game road losing streak Tuesday night with another effective outing away from home.

David Peralta provided a two-run single as Arizona (43-48) ended a season-worst, six-game slide Monday with a 3-1 victory over Miami and avoided a fifth consecutive home loss.

"It was good. It was six in a row that we had lost and there was the All-Star break in between so there was a (12-day) stretch where we didn't have any wins," shortstop Nick Ahmed said. "Any time you win it's good and it picks everybody's morale up in here."

Ahmed tripled and had 10 assists - one shy of a team record - while helping the Diamondbacks win for the fifth time in as many matchups with Miami this year. The only time Arizona has had a longer win streak in this series was an eight-game run from 1998-99.

The Marlins (38-55) were sent to their longest road losing streak since a 10-gamer May 11-June 5, 2013. They've dropped 15 of 17 away from home.

Latos (3-6, 4.90 ERA) lost on the road in his latest start but certainly wasn't to blame, yielding one run - on a wild pitch - and one hit in seven innings in a 2-0 loss to the Chicago Cubs on July 5. He has a 1-3 record in six road games despite having a 2.08 ERA in the last four, receiving a combined seven runs of support.

The right-hander was forced to skip a start against Cincinnati on July 11 because of a sore right foot.

"It takes a lot for me not to be able to pitch in a ballgame," Latos told MLB's official website.

In his return, Latos will try to avoid another outing against Arizona like the one he had in a 7-6 loss May 21 in Miami. He allowed six runs in 5 1-3 innings after going 4-1 with a 2.61 ERA in his previous eight starts versus the Diamondbacks.

Latos is 3-0 with a 1.60 ERA in five career starts in Arizona.

Jeremy Hellickson (6-5, 5.04) also had to deal with a health issue - a blister on his right thumb - in his final start before the All-Star break July 8 in Texas. The right-hander was limited to four innings after going a season-high seven in an 8-1 win over Colorado six days earlier.

Hellickson gave up two runs in six innings in Miami on May 19 but did not get a decision in a 4-2 victory. He has no record and a 4.60 ERA in three career starts versus the Marlins.

Peralta has a 1.150 OPS with 15 RBIs in his last 18 games.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Marlins at Diamondbacks
Mon, Jul 20 Final 1 to 3
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Marlins at Diamondbacks
Tue, Jul 21 - 9:40PM EDT

GAME 3
Marlins at Diamondbacks
Wed, Jul 22 - 9:40PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Twins (50-42) at Angels (52-40)
Venue: Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Date: July 21, 2015 10:05 PM EDT

Locked in a personal duel for the major league home run lead, Albert Pujols and Mike Trout are also powering the Los Angeles Angels on a torrid stretch.

The two superstars will try to lead their club to a season-high sixth consecutive win Tuesday night when they face a pitcher who's been at his best lately, the Minnesota Twins' Kyle Gibson.

Los Angeles (52-40) has won 11 of 13 and its red-hot lineup has been the driving force, averaging 6.7 runs while hitting 25 homers. Pujols hit a pair of longballs in the Angels' fifth consecutive win Monday night, a 7-3 victory over Boston, and had three in their rare home doubleheader to move past Mike Schmidt for 15th on the all-time list.

"I enjoy it because I was able to do something tonight to help my ballclub win," Pujols said. "It's about the team, man. It's not about personal success. We're on top right now, and we can't take that for granted."

Trout added his seventh in 10 contests in Monday's nightcap as the Angels improved to 5-2 when the two homer in the same game, and his 28 have him one behind Pujols.

Kole Calhoun has six in his last 12 games and is batting .347 with a 1.176 OPS in that span.

Gibson (8-6, 2.85 ERA) has the difficult task of trying to cool off the Angels while seeking to win his fifth consecutive start.

The right-hander gave up one unearned run in seven innings in a 7-1 win over Detroit on July 12 and lowered his ERA in his last four games to 1.30. He also finished with the fourth-lowest ERA by a Twins starter before the All-Star break since 1992.

"I try not to watch that too much and just focus on each outing," Gibson said. "I'm definitely excited about it, but (manager Paul Molitor said) that the work isn't done and there's a long way to go. So right now, 2.85 doesn't mean too much."

Gibson is 3-1 with a 1.90 ERA in his last six road starts but 0-1 with a 7.80 ERA in his three against the Angels (52-40). Trout and Pujols have fared well against him, going a combined 5 for 14 with a homer apiece.

He won't get support from Miguel Sano as the highly regarded prospect is expected to miss at least the next two games due to a right ankle injury suffered Saturday in Oakland. Sano attempted to play through that ailment but struck out three times in a 3-2 loss, dropping his average to .326 in 13 games, and sat out a 14-1 drubbing Sunday.

"The trainers don't really have a gut (feeling). But we don't think it's too severe," Molitor told MLB's official website.

Matt Shoemaker (4-7, 4.85) will try to lead Los Angeles to its longest win streak since a 10-game run from Sept. 4-13. The Angels will also seek to tie their season-best five consecutive home victories set May 28-June 1.

Shoemaker has been relatively effective in most of his past eight starts, logging a 3.35 ERA, but has one win in large part because of a combined 13 runs of support.

He did not get a decision in his lone start against Minnesota on Sept. 5, allowing three runs in four innings in a 7-6 win.

The Angels' 7-0 mark versus Minnesota in 2014 was their first sweep of a season series. Los Angeles, winner in eight of nine at home, has won nine of the last 11 matchups there.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Twins at Angels
Tue, Jul 21 - 10:05PM EDT

GAME 2
Twins at Angels
Wed, Jul 22 - 10:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Twins at Angels
Thu, Jul 23 - 3:35PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Giants (49-44) at Padres (44-49)
Venue: PETCO Park
Date: July 21, 2015 10:10 PM EDT

There were few expectations when Chris Heston joined the San Francisco Giants after opening day, but there were plenty when the San Diego Padres traded for Matt Kemp.

Heston will try to stifle the hot-hitting Kemp and help the Giants rebound from their first loss in seven games by continuing his strong run against the Padres on Tuesday night.

Heston (9-5, 3.39 ERA) leads all rookies in wins, ERA, WHIP (1.20) and innings pitched (111 2-3). The right-hander trails only World Series MVP Madison Bumgarner in wins (10) and ERA (3.27) among the Giants' starters.

He's 4-1 with a 2.12 ERA in his last seven starts, a stretch that began with a no-hitter against the New York Mets on June 9. That span also includes allowing two runs in seven innings of a 13-8 win over San Diego (44-49).

Heston entered the break by yielding one run in 14 innings over two starts, winning his only decision.

San Francisco's six-game winning streak end with Monday's 4-2 loss in the opener of this three-game set. The Giants (49-44) have lost four straight and seven of their last eight at Petco Park.

Kemp has been a big part of that, going 8 for 12 with four extra-base hits in the last three home matchups with San Francisco.

The right fielder had a two-run homer and a single Monday, improving to 14 for 31 (.452) with four homers, four doubles and 10 RBIs in the past eight games.

"He's the best player on the field," interim manager Pat Murphy said. "There's some great ones on the field, but the last three or four games, with all the great players that are on the field, he's the best player on the field."

Kemp's hot stretch has spurred the Padres' season-high five-game winning streak. They haven't put together a longer run since winning seven in a row from June 10-17, 2013.

The current streak has San Diego feeling good about acquiring Kemp in a five-player deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers over the winter, a trade that created playoff aspirations for a team which last reached the postseason in 2006.

Kemp is 2 for 6 with a double versus Heston, while Yangervis Solarte will face him for the first time after going 3 for 5 with an RBI on Monday.

Solarte is 9 for 28 (.321) in eight home games against the Giants.

They'll give the ball to Odrisamer Despaigne (3-6, 4.64), who is 2-0 with a 0.91 ERA in five games - four starts - against the Giants. He's 1-0 with a 0.51 ERA in three home meetings.

The right-hander has allowed one run in seven innings over his last two games, including his most recent start on July 4. He had a 5.59 ERA and an 0-3 record over his previous five starts, and that includes allowing two runs in five innings of a 3-2 win at San Francisco on June 23.

Despaigne has dominated Buster Posey, holding him hitless in 12 at-bats. The All-Star catcher is 14 for 29 (.483) with seven RBIs in seven games after connecting for a run-scoring single Monday, and his 38 RBIs on the road lead the majors.

Posey is a .336 hitter at Petco.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Giants at Padres
Mon, Jul 20 Final 2 to 4
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Giants at Padres
Tue, Jul 21 - 10:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Giants at Padres
Wed, Jul 22 - 3:40PM EDT

Tokens
Tuesday's Tip Sheet

July 21, 2015

Blue Jays at Athletics – 10:05 PM EST

Toronto is seeking consecutive wins for the first time in nearly a month, as the Jays embark on a six-game West coast swing to Oakland and Seattle. The Jays enter tonight’s opener at 0-7 in their last seven games off a win, as Toronto tries to snap that streak coming off Sunday’s 4-0 shutout of Tampa Bay. The A’s still have a long way to go to get back into the AL West race, but Oakland has won four of five following a 14-1 bashing of Minnesota in Sunday’s rubber match.

Oakland’s Kendall Graveman (6-5, 3.38 ERA) dropped his first decision in his past four starts prior to the All-Star break, allowing four earned runs in 5.2 innings of a 5-1 defeat at Cleveland. Graveman has been sharp at home of late, not giving up a run in his last two starts at the Coliseum in victories over Seattle and Colorado. Graveman faces a Blue Jays’ squad that has won only once in their last five road series openers dating back to mid-June.

The Blue Jays send out Mark Buehrle (10-5, 3.34 ERA) to the mound, who is making his first start since a 6-2 victory at Kansas City on June 11. Buehrle has pitched at least seven innings in nine of his past 10 appearances, while Toronto is 3-1 in his last four outings. The southpaw faced the Athletics last July in Oakland and allowed 10 hits and three earned runs in six innings of a 5-1 loss.

Twins at Angels – 10:05 PM EST

The hottest team in baseball resides in Orange County, as the Angels have overtaken the Astros for first place in the AL West. Los Angeles pulled off a four-game sweep of Boston, while outscoring the Red Sox, 18-4 in a double-header sweep on Monday to improve to 15-3 in the past 18 contests. The Angels’ pitching staff hasn’t allowed more than three runs in 11 straight home games, while giving up one run or less in five of those victories.

Los Angeles grabbed all seven matchups from Minnesota in 2014, as Matt Shoemaker (4-7, 4.85 ERA) looks to keep up the domination in the series opener. The Angels’ right-hander is making his first start since July 8 at Colorado, when he picked up a no-decision in a 3-2 victory, as Los Angeles has won each of his past three road starts. At home is a different story for Shoemaker, as the Halos own a dreadful 1-7 record in his eight outings at Angel Stadium.

The Twins closed the first half with an impressive 6-1 record after a pair of home series victories over the Orioles and Tigers. Minnesota blanked Oakland in the first game following the All-Star break, 5-0, but dropped the final two contests of that series, including a walk-off loss last Saturday. Kyle Gibson (8-6, 2.85 ERA) is riding a four-game winning streak, which includes road victories over Milwaukee and Kansas City since the end of June. Gibson failed to beat the Angels in two starts last season, allowing 11 earned runs in nine innings of work.

Giants at Padres – 10:10 PM EST

San Francisco saw its six-game winning streak snapped in Monday’s 4-2 setback at San Diego, as the Padres extended their hot streak to five. The Padres have been one of the most disappointing teams in baseball this season after several key acquisitions in the offseason, but San Diego improved to 4-1 at home against the defending champions this season.

The Padres are riding a 9-2-1 run to the ‘under’ the last 12 games, while seeking their first four-game winning streak at Petco Park this season. Odrisamer Despaigne (3-6, 4.64 ERA) hasn’t won a start since May 31 against the Pirates, while the Padres have compiled a 2-4 record in his six home outings. Despaigne has fared well against the Giants in his short career, yielding three earned runs in 29.2 innings, as the Padres are 3-1 in his four starts against their NL West rivals.

The Giants counter with promising right-hander Christopher Heston (9-5, 3.39 ERA), who is coming off four straight quality starts. Heston shut down the Phillies in his previous outing, scattering seven hits and one earned run in 6.2 innings of a 4-2 victory as a -200 home favorite on July 12. Heston is making his first start at Petco Park after splitting a pair of home outings against the Padres this season, including a 13-8 win last month. The Giants have fared well in Heston’s eight road starts, winning six times, while San Francisco’s bullpen blew a ninth inning lead in a walk-off defeat at Miami in his previous away outing on July 1.

Tokens
LEADING OFF: All-Star arms, Nola's debut, Who's on first?

July 21, 2015

A look at what's happening all around the major leagues today:

ALL-STAR ARMS

National League All-Stars Gerrit Cole and Michael Wacha are both on the mound in interleague games. Cole (13-3) pitches for Pittsburgh against Kansas City lefty Jason Vargas (5-2), set to come off the disabled list. Wacha (10-3) starts for St. Louis against Chicago White Sox rookie Carlos Rodon (3-2).

FUTURE IS NOW

Prized pitching prospect Aaron Nola makes his major league debut for Philadelphia against Tampa Bay. The 22-year-old righty was selected seventh overall last season out of LSU and will become the first Phillies player since Pat Combs in 1989 to debut in the majors the year after getting drafted. Nola was a combined 10-4 with a 2.39 ERA in 18 starts between Double-A Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley.

ANOTHER PROMOTION

The Cardinals are expected to call up top prospect Steve Piscotty for their interleague series against the White Sox. Drafted 36th overall in 2012, Piscotty has been working to convert from outfield to first base. He was batting .272 with 11 homers and 41 RBIs at Triple-A Memphis.

PUT ME IN, COACH

Help could be on the way for Atlanta's sagging offense. First baseman Freddie Freeman, out since June 18 with a bruised right wrist, might begin a rehab stint as early as today. Freeman was upbeat after playing catch and taking swings before Monday night's game against the Dodgers. ''He's trying to talk me into putting him into the lineup tonight,'' Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said.

TOP OF THE EAST

NL Rookie of the Year Jacob deGrom (9-6, 2.14 ERA) makes his first appearance since his terrific All-Star outing - three strikeouts on 10 pitches. He'll try to lead the second-place New York Mets past the NL East-leading Nationals, a team he's never beaten. In three career starts against Washington, deGrom is 0-2 with a 4.15 ERA. The Nationals plan to call up right-hander Joe Ross (2-1, 2.66) for his fourth start in the majors.

WHO'S ON FIRST?

Playing in a National League park has left Texas without a designated hitter against Colorado. Prince Fielder, who has spent most of the year at DH, started at first base Monday over Mitch Moreland, but manager Jeff Banister said he'll give both players a rest during the three-game series. ''Prince playing in the All-Star Game and going through the home run contest, he does need a day somewhere also,'' Banister said.

THE TODDFATHER IS BACK

Todd Frazier tries to build upon his first hit since winning the All-Star Game's Home Run Derby at Great American Ball Park. The Reds' third baseman went 0 for 3 in the All-Star Game, and then was 0 for 10 during a weekend series against the Indians. He broke out with a homer in the first inning Monday off Cubs pitcher Clayton Richard. Frazier hasn't homered in back-to-back games since June 16-17.

Tokens
Baseball Capsules

July 21, 2015

WASHINGTON (AP) Clint Robinson's two-run double to deep center was the biggest blow as the Nationals jumped on Mets starter Matt Harvey for five runs in the first three innings Monday night, and NL East-leading Washington beat second-place New York 7-2.

A day after leaving 25 men on base and going 1 for 26 with runners in scoring position in an 18-inning victory at St. Louis, the Mets' troubled offense left 10 men on and went 1 for 10 with runners in scoring position.

Indeed, it was Harvey (8-7) who drove in both of New York's runs with a bases-loaded single in the fourth off Gio Gonzalez (7-4). Harvey went seven innings, and was charged with five runs - four earned - and five hits.

Gonzalez allowed two runs and six hits in six innings. Ian Desmond tacked on a two-run homer off Mets reliever Alex Torres in the eighth.

ANGELS 11, RED SOX 1, 1ST GAME

ANGELS 7, RED SOX 3, 2ND GAME

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - Albert Pujols hit three homers while the Angels swept a doubleheader from the Boston Red Sox, connecting twice and seizing the major league lead from Mike Trout during Los Angeles' victory in the nightcap.

Trout also homered and rookie Andrew Heaney pitched seven strong innings in the second game of the Angels' first home doubleheader since 2003. Pujols, Kole Calhoun and David Freese homered during an 11-1 win in the first game. Pujols homered in both games of a doubleheader for the first time in his career. He caught and passed Mike Schmidt for 15th place in baseball history, hitting his 549th career homer in the seventh.

Heaney (4-0) won his fourth straight decision in his first month with the Angels, yielding five hits without a walk. Knuckleballer Steven Wright (3-3) took the loss.

All-Star Hector Santiago (7-4) matched his career high with 10 strikeouts in the opener. Eduardo Rodriguez (5-3) took the loss.

REDS 5, CUBS 4

CINCINNATI (AP) - Todd Frazier connected for the first time since he won the All-Star Home Run Derby, and Jay Bruce hit a key two-run shot in the sixth inning, powering the Cincinnati Reds past the Chicago Cubs.

The Reds hit three homers in all, including Marlon Byrd's solo shot, and beat the Cubs at Great American Ball Park for the first time this season. Bruce's drive off Justin Grimm (1-3) put Cincinnati up 5-4 with two outs in the sixth.

Ryan Mattheus (1-1) pitched a hitless inning in relief of Michael Lorenzen. Aroldis Chapman pitched the ninth - a day after he threw a career-high 44 pitches - and retired the side on 13 pitches for his 19th save.

TIGERS 5, MARINERS 4

DETROIT (AP) - Ian Kinsler homered twice, including a go-ahead two-run shot in the eighth inning, and the Detroit Tigers beat the Seattle Mariners.

Kinsler, who came in with three homer this season, hit one off Seattle starter J.A. Happ in the first, and then drove a fastball from Mark Lowe over the Tigers' bullpen with two out in the eighth. It was his first multi-homer game since Sept. 7, 2011.

Lowe (0-1) hadn't allowed an earned run in his last 12 outings, dating to June 14, but Jose Iglesias doubled with one out, took third on a grounder and scored on Kinsler's homer.

Al Alburquerque (1-0) picked up his first decision in 60 outings, pitching a scoreless eighth inning. Joakim Soria got three outs for his 21st save.

PHILLIES 5, RAYS 3

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Cesar Hernandez doubled, tripled and drove in two runs, and David Buchanan earned his first win in almost a year, leading the Philadelphia Phillies over the Tampa Bay Rays.

Maikel Franco had a pair of hits with an RBI and Jeff Francoeur contributed two hits for the Phillies, who have won four straight after setting the franchise record with 62 losses before the All-Star break.

Buchanan (1-5) snapped his winless skid at 15 starts by allowing three runs and six hits in 6 1/3 innings.

Logan Forsythe doubled and had two RBIs for the Rays, who have lost 10 of their last 12 road games. Matt Moore (1-1) gave up four runs on five hits in 4 2/3 innings in his third start since coming back from Tommy John surgery.

BRAVES 7, DODGERS 5

ATLANTA (AP) - Nick Markakis hit his first homer of 2015 and scored the go-ahead run on Juan Uribe's fifth-inning single, leading the Atlanta Braves past former teammate Brandon Beachy and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Markakis hit a two-run homer to center field off Beachy in the first inning. It was his first homer since Sept. 25, 2014, for the Orioles at the Yankees. Braves rookie Matt Wisler (4-1) allowed four runs and eight hits in six innings.

Adrian Gonzalez hit a two-run shot and Howie Kendrick doubled in two runs for the Dodgers in the fifth. Beachy, making his second start for the Dodgers following his second Tommy John surgery, allowed four runs and five hits in four innings. Adam Liberatore (2-2) took the loss in relief.

PIRATES 10, ROYALS 7

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Travis Ishikawa had three extra-base hits and drove in four runs as the Pittsburgh Pirates outslugged the Kansas City Royals.

Ishikawa, who was 1 for 13 with one RBI in nine games since the Pirates claimed him on waivers July 5, hit a two-run double in a four-run second. He homered in the fifth with Jung Ho Kang aboard.

A.J. Burnett (8-3) won despite giving up a season-high five earned runs and 11 hits - including two homers - in his initial start since his first career trip to the All-Star Game. Mark Melancon worked the ninth for his 30th save, including a franchise-record 28 straight.

Mike Moustakas and Kendrys Morales homered for the Royals. Yordano Ventura (4-7) was pulled in the fifth after giving up six runs and 11 hits and a walk.

ROCKIES 8, RANGERS 7

DENVER (AP) - Ben Paulsen hit a tiebreaking single with one out in the bottom of the ninth, and the Colorado Rockies recovered from blowing a seven-run lead to beat the Texas Rangers.

Troy Tulowitzki homered and Nolan Arenado had two RBIs for Colorado, which has won a season-best five in a row at home.

Prince Fielder had two hits and three RBIs and Adrian Beltre had three hits for the Rangers, who have lost 10 of 12. Beltre's second double of the night tied it at 7 in the ninth against closer John Axford (2-2), but the Rockies rallied in the bottom of the inning against Tanner Scheppers (3-1).

DIAMONDBACKS 3, MARLINS 1

PHOENIX (AP) - Rubby De La Rosa went seven innings for his first win in five starts, David Peralta singled in two runs and the Arizona Diamondbacks snapped a six-game losing streak by sending the Marlins to their fourth loss in a row.

De La Rosa (7-5) allowed a run on five hits, overcame a season-high five walks and got his second RBI of the season by hitting into a bases-loaded fielder's choice. Peralta's two-out, bases-loaded single off David Phelps (4-6) in the third provided the only runs needed by the Diamondbacks.

Derek Dietrich homered for the Marlins.

PADRES 4, GIANTS 2

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Matt Kemp hit a two-run homer to help the San Diego Padres beat the World Series champion San Francisco Giants and extend their winning streak to a season-high five games.

Kemp's 409-foot drive off 40-year-old Tim Hudson (5-8) into the sandy play area beyond the right-center fence in the third inning was his fourth homer in seven games and 10th overall.

Ian Kennedy (5-9) pitched six strong innings to snap a four-start losing streak and end the Giants' six-game winning streak. Craig Kimbrel threw a perfect ninth on four pitches for his 26th save.

Gregor Blanco homered for the Giants. Hudson (5-8) came off the disabled list to make the start. He allowed three runs and five hits in four-plus innings.

Tokens
MLB

Tuesday, July 21

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MLB betting cheat sheet: Greinke still untouchable
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a comprehensive look at betting notes for the mid-week major-league schedule:

Greinke Still Untouchable

Zack Greinke tossed eight scoreless innings, striking out 11 in a win opposite Mad Max Scherzer in the nation's capital on Sunday, and his scoreless streak now sits at 43 2/3 innings. It's fair to say that he's currently the favorite to win the Cy Young Award in the National League. His miniscule 1.30 ERA isn't just the best in the majors, but he's the only pitcher with an ERA under 2.00.

Home Cookin' At Turner Field

The Atlanta Braves are a solid 24-19 at home, and they'll host the Dodgers in a three game set at Turner Field. The Dodgers have a losing record on the road this year, yet they are heavily favored in both of the first two games of this series. That might change in the series finale on Wednesday, with Julio Teheran looking to remain perfect at home this season. Teheran is 5-0 with a 2.18 ERA in nine starts at home, and the Braves have won seven of those games.

Road Warriors

The San Francisco Giants will play a three game series at PETCO this week, and over bettors should take notice. The Giants lead the major league batting .278 on the road this year, and in case you haven't already heard, San Diego is becoming a hitter's paradise. According to ESPN Park Factors, PETCO ranks 5th behind Coors Field, Great American Ballpark, Camden Yards and Yankee Stadium. You don't often see totals of 6.5 in any of those parks, but low totals are still the norm in San Diego.

Pitching Notes

*Jorge De La Rosa has quietly been returning to form for Colorado. He got off to a slow start, but he's pitched well in his last 10 starts, and the Rockies have won eight of those 10 games. He's been one of the best home pitchers in baseball over the last three seasons, going 20-3 with a 2.98 ERA at Coors Field since 2012. His next start comes at home against Texas on Wednesday.

*Mark Buehrle remains one of the most dependable pitchers in the game, and he closed out a stellar first half in style with a win over the Royals in Kansas City. He's coming off eight straight quality starts, and he'll go for his 11th win on the road at Oakland Tuesday.

Hitting Notes

*J.D. Martinez is swinging a hot bat in the month of July, batting .333 with six home runs and a dozen RBIs. The Tigers are playing a home series versus Seattle this week, and that's good news for Martinez who is hitting .311 at home so far this season.

*Paul Goldschmidt leads the National League with 72 RBIs, and he's batting a major league best .340. The D'backs slugger will likely remain hot at home in this series versus Miami, as he's hitting .346 at Chase Field.

Totals Streak

The Blue Jays are popular with bettors as they have been by far the highest scoring team in the major league's this season. Despite all the home runs and all the impressive offensive numbers, they have actually been trending toward the under. Toronto has seen the total fall short of the number at a rate of 7-2-1 in their last 10 overall, and they have played eight straight unders against Oakland.

Injury Notes

*The Pirates have placed SS Jordy Mercer on the DL with a sprained MCL, and he's expected to miss at least six weeks. It's a big blow for the Pirates who are already missing Josh Harrison who is recovering from surgery to repair his left thumb.

*Justin Upton left Sunday's game in the 5th inning due to back tightness, and is considered day to day.

Tokens
MLB

Tuesday, July 21

Game of the Day: Cardinals at White Sox

St. Louis Cardinals at Chicago White Sox (+120, 8)

After enjoying a day off following an 18-inning marathon, the St. Louis Cardinals look to return to their winning ways when they open an abbreviated two-game interleague series at the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday. Kolten Wong belted a solo homer to lead off the 13th frame, but St. Louis failed to come up with other big hits in a 3-1 setback to the New York Mets on Sunday.

All-Star shortstop Jhonny Peralta is 12-for-28 with two homers in his last six games, but the majors-best Cardinals have only a 2-4 mark to show for it. Michael Wacha will get the nod on Tuesday after originally-scheduled starter Carlos Martinez was pressed into duty in the marathon loss to the Mets. "We're going to play on Tuesday," manager Robin Ventura said after Chicago found itself in the basement of the American League Central with four losses in its last five contests. "I know everybody wants to talk about (selling at the trade deadline), but we're going to play as hard as we can against St. Louis."

TV: 8:10 p.m. ET, FSN Midwest (Chicago), WPWR (Chicago)

LINE HISTORY: As of this writing, oddsmakers had not moved off their opening number of White Sox +120.

INJURY REPORT: St. Louis - J. Heyward (questionable), J. Garcia (15-day DL), M. Haris (15-day DL), M. Harris (15-day DL), M. Belisle (15-day DL), J. Jay (15-day DL), J. Walden (60-day DL), A. Wainwright (60-day DL), M. Adams (60-day DL). Chicago - N. Jones (60-day DL).

WEATHER WATCH: It's expected to be a clear day in the Chicago area with temperatures of 77 degrees Fahrenheit at game time.

PITCHING MATCHUP: Cardinals RH Michael Wacha (10-3, 2.93 ERA) vs. White Sox LH Carlos Rodon (3-2, 3.80)

Wacha walked away with his second straight no-decision on July 8 despite allowing a season high-tying five runs in six innings of St. Louis' 6-5 victory over the Chicago Cubs. The 24-year-old also yielded five runs in a setback to Philadelphia on June 21, but followed that up with two strong outings. Wacha has yet to face the White Sox in his career.

Rodon worked his way out of trouble despite matching a season high with six walks in as many scoreless innings en route to a no-decision versus the Cubs on July 10. The 22-year-old only allowed two hits in the outing, but remained winless in his last three starts. Rodon has pitched well at home during his rookie season, posting a 3-1 mark with a 2.87 ERA heading into his first career start versus St. Louis.

TRENDS:

*Cardinals are 0-4 in their last 4 interleague games.
*Under is 6-1-1 in White Sox last 8 overall.
*Cardinals are 0-4 in the last 4 meetings in Chicago.
*Cardinals are 9-2 in Wachas last 11 road starts.

CONSENSUS: Fifty-nine percent of users are currently on the Cards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com