Steve Forbes Interviews Bibi: How The Small State Of Israel Is Becoming A High-Tech Superpower

Search

Tokens
Imagine what Israel could accomplish if it didn't have to fight the IslamoSavages and FarLeftFruitcakes always trying to destroy it?

How The Small State Of Israel Is Becoming A High-Tech Superpower

The horrific Iran nuclear deal is, these days, overshadowing the miracle of the Israeli economy, particularly in the area of high technology. With the exception of the U.S., Israel–a country of a mere 8 million people–leads the world in high tech, an astonishing feat. In this interview Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu talks about the big, exciting things that are happening in the high-tech powerhouse center emerging in Beersheba–and much else, including why Israeli milk cows are the world’s most productive and how this desert nation solved its water crisis (California, take note).

FORBES
Steve Forbes: Thank you very much, Prime Minister. We’re meeting here in Beersheba. By all accounts Israel is now one of the top two or three high-tech powers in the world–ahead of the European Union, with its 500 million people. You’ve done this with 8 million people. How? And how do you maintain your leadership with only 8 million?

Benjamin Netanyahu: Well, you have to have deep roots. We’re in Beersheba. It’s a new town. Abraham came here 3,800 years ago, and we sort of rebuilt it with the founding of the state. But the new thing is this: We decided here, in the middle of the Negev Desert, to bring in our special information units of the Israeli Army and put them right next to Ben-Gurion University. And right next to that—all within 100 yards–to build a cyber industrial park to bring in the leading companies of the world. And they’re here. We have this interaction between our finest military and cyber-security minds and the finest at the university and the nearby businesses.

This is a hub, and it’s exploding. You’ve been here for just a few hours, but you can see this; I mean, it’s literally going through the roof. And I’m delighted with this. It’s–I hate this word, but I’ll use it anyway—it’s this “synergy,” you know? It’s this, this…

SF: Brainstorm.

BN: It’s the brainstorming, the culture, the minds. It’s these fantastic minds that bring a lot of experience from military intelligence and our other special units joining with natural entrepreneurs. Many become entrepreneurs. Foreign companies, international companies realize that it’s all in the brains, in the ability to solve problems, foresee future problems and address the questions that will determine a lot of the world’s future. How do we protect the Internet? How do we protect cyber security? How do we protect our bank accounts? How do we protect our privacy? How do we protect our electric grids? How do we protect our traffic systems? How do we protect our airline safety? How do we protect anything? Water flows? Everything is governed by digital motors, digital transport. And cyber can be either the traffic cop or the robber. We want to be on the good side, and we want to help others be on the good side.

SF: You should also mention personnel records, as Washington, D.C. has recently discovered.

BN: I’ll tell you, Steve, nothing, absolutely nothing will escape the Internet–not people, information, words, numbers or things. Everything is in this gathering cloud, and it’s just growing and growing. And it’s all open to sabotage and to infiltration by hostile governments, terrorist groups, organized crime and/or individual hackers. We need security here. This is the South of Israel, the wild South. But the Internet is like the Wild West. It’s growing at a geometric pace, and for it to continue its growth with safety, security and stability, we need cyber security. And Israel is right up there. I took it as a goal to be among the top three cyber-security powers of the world. And I think we’re definitely there, but we’re shooting even higher.

SF: There’s been a lot of pessimism about cyber security, that not much can really be done about it–just as in the old days it was said there was no defense against suicide bombers. What have you seen that makes you feel that we can not only defend but also go on the offensive and anticipate what these guys are going to do?

BN: There’s no question you can defend, but that doesn’t mean that you can be hermetically protected. It does mean that you can do a lot more. First of all, you can protect very well against the neighborhood thief. There have been plenty of developments that allow you to protect both against the neighborhood thief and the gang–and even governments. It doesn’t mean you can protect yourself against everything, but you can protect yourself against a lot of things. And that’s useful. And this is evolving all the time.

I think the hardest thing about cyber—which is different from other forms of attack, offense and defense–is the difficulty in setting rules. In normal competition, or even in warfare, you can set rules. Most of the time you know who’s attacking and who’s defending. You can use protection, you can use deterrents, you can use punishment. But in the world of cyber it’s not always clear.

Cooperation is necessary yet also dangerous, because your partners can be infiltrated. The cyber world is complex and evolving, but if we sit back and say, “Okay, because I have these problems I’m not going to do anything, because I can’t solve everything,” we won’t solve anything. No, that’s not the way we work.

We said, let’s just plunge ahead. Let’s learn as we go along and build defenses as we progress. And that’s something that we’re doing: The companies are doing it; the military’s doing it; our special intelligence units are doing it; and foreign companies that join us are doing it. We profit from them; they profit from us. I’ve decided to give tax breaks to cyber companies that come here because I want their business and because I think they really have an exciting opportunity here.

This is where young minds–some of them very young–are. And they think outside the box, which is an understatement. This kind of talent–academic, military, security and entrepreneurial–has converged in one place and is producing a lot of startup companies and a lot of innovations that will give the Net a measure of security it just doesn’t have today.

SF: So, how did Israel, a small country, become a giant in the area of high technology, in certain key areas?

BN: Well, you know, we’re surrounded by enemies. So to survive we needed a big army, relative to our size. But the most important thing in our army is the head, the brain. It’s a very large brain compared with those of other powers. We invest heavily in military intelligence. And developments in military intelligence, especially in IT, were a great unrealized potential until we created a more business-friendly environment.

You can have the most brilliant minds, the most brilliant mathematicians and physicists–as you had with those who came from the former Soviet Union. But, as you know, that didn’t go anywhere [until] you [took] those scientists on a plane to Paolo Alto. Then they were producing added value within two weeks.

Okay, in Israel we had these top brains, including those with military experience, cruising the Net. But the most important thing [we did] was to create a pro-business environment, a pro-entrepreneurial environment and to introduce the idea of venture capital. The minute we fused intelligence capabilities with business capabilities, the Israeli high-tech economy just took off. And that’s something to which I’ve devoted a good part of my time as prime minister. Now I’m especially concentrating on the enormous growth area of cyber security, which, I believe, will be a growth engine for the next 50 years.

The problems aren’t going to go away, and the need for solutions is going to grow. And we intend to be there with the solutions.

SF: So, Israel’s a global leader in high tech and, certainly, in technology and agriculture. Water? You made miracles. What are you going to do to get the rest of the economy up to speed with what you’ve been doing in these three areas?

BN: Well, the first thing is you’ve got to have products that actually give added value–and we do. Cyber is an enormous growth area. But in all areas of technology Israel is, in many ways, a world leader.

I spoke to Mr. Modi, the prime minister of India. And he told me, “Look, in all my four color revolutions–in water, dairy, clean air [and the other things he wants, such as agriculture]–I need Israeli technology.” So the second thing you want to do is not only develop the technology but also develop it for new markets.

The great economies of Asia are coming to Israel. And we’re going to them, because we realize that the kind of developments we have can better their lives. We can, you know, produce more milk for them. The [breed of] cow that produces the most milk per cow is not a French cow or a Dutch cow; it’s an Israeli cow. Every moo is computerized. And it produces an enormous amount of milk. Now, if you have to feed over a billion people in China, that makes a difference. The same is true in India and in other countries. They want that technology. Water? We recycle–87% of our waste water is recycled. The next runner-up is Spain, with about 20%.

SF: And the U.S. is about 1%.

BN: Well, yes. We’ve solved our water problem. Water is a big issue–it’s even a big issue in the United States. Now, you know, when Israel was founded 67 years ago, we had twice the rainwater that we have today. Our population’s grown more than tenfold; our GDP per capita has grown almost 40 times. We should have a water problem, but we don’t. Because we recycle more than any other country in the world. We’ve desalinated. We’ve got drip irrigation. We’ve got controls on our waste and spillage, electronic controls. We don’t have a water problem.

In the middle of the desert, you went out there; you came out here, to Beersheba, in the middle of the desert, and the water’s flowing. Abraham would have liked that, believe me. He had seven wells here. You know, we’ve got the wells of water and the wells of ingenuity and, I think, innovation. And the future belongs to those who innovate. Israel innovates.

SF: How do you get the bureaucracy to be more cooperative?

BN: Oh, that’s one of my big pleasures in public life, slashing the bureaucracy. We had to fight big bureaucratic battles to get this cyber park and to get our military to move all their key units here. But eventually, you know, we got it done. It’s a continual battle–and it’s an opportunity.

You asked me about our growth areas. One is technology, especially cyber. Two is new markets, especially in Asia. Third is bureaucracy. Bureaucracy is a great growth opportunity. Because if we’ve grown an average of 5% a year with the amount of bureaucracy we have, that tells you how much more we could grow if we removed that bureaucracy. So this is one of our missions: to constantly trim the bureaucracy. It’s like weeding; it never ends. You just have to keep weeding it out. But the trees grow, you know? And give fruit; you just have to keep weeding out the bureaucracy. It’s a great growth area.

SF: How do you tap Israel’s extraordinary potential in natural gas, which will be a global geopolitical game-changer if you do?

BN: Well, we got a great gift. For most of modern Israel’s existence we didn’t have any natural resources–except for our brains. We were fortunate–as, I think, you once said–to be the only Middle Eastern country with practically no energy. We had to use our mental energy. But then, in roughly the sixth decade of our life, we found gas.

We always thought that Moses was a great leader but a lousy navigator. It turns out he wasn’t such a lousy navigator. He brought us to a country not with flowing milk and honey, but with a lot of gas–not manna from heaven, but manna from under the ocean bed, under the sea bed. So, we now have to take it out.

Private companies, once they started looking for it, were able to do what our government companies could not do: They found gas. They’ve taken some of it, and now we have a big political battle to get the rest out and enable the companies to make money and the Israeli government to get its share.

Obviously, we have a lot of populism to fight. Where do you not? But I think we’ve struck the right balance between the needs of competition and the needs of securing our energy supplies for the future–and exporting a lot of it. And I’m confident that I’ll be able to pass [legislation] within a short time. And then get the gas out.

Rx Normal
Tokens
Israel will become a historical footnote if Bibi doesn't grow some balls and bomb Iran back to the stone age.

Tokens
Iran is an Islamic global counterpart to Hitler’s dictatorship in its fiendish denial of human rights. Yet the U.S. is effectively rewarding and reinforcing the leading global promoter of terrorism for its ongoing commitment and fanatic determination to undermine the democratic world. Beyond transforming Iran into a threshold nuclear state, Obama has provided Tehran with $150 billion to intensify its global terrorist activities, in addition to the removal of embargoes of conventional arms and ballistic missiles, thus bringing European and North American cities into the range of Iranian missiles.

It has repeatedly been described as “the worst agreement in U.S. diplomatic history” and will be recorded as an act of infamy that not merely threatens the survival of Israel and the moderate Arab regimes in the region but capitulates to a fanatic Islamic terrorist state, some of whose leaders would be willing to facilitate a premature paradise for its citizens by engaging in suicidal initiatives in order to bring forward the “end of days.”

The U.S. has demeaned itself as a world power and lost the confidence of its traditional friends who have witnessed Obama’s lies, his repudiation of crucial assurances initially made in relation to Iran and his betrayal and abandonment of longstanding allies while groveling to rogue states and dictatorships.

To his credit, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu performed an invaluable service over the past decade by singlehandedly fighting valiantly to prevent what would have been an automatic global acceptance of Iran as a full-fledged nuclear power. Without Netanyahu’s efforts, the sanctions would never have been imposed. Indeed, the civilized world was close to forcing the Iranians to back down — had it not been for Obama’s inexplicable obsession to engage with the ayatollahs.

We must now strategize a new approach. In the short-term, our efforts must be directed toward convincing Congress and the American people of the diabolical global consequences if this agreement is consummated.

http://www.israpundit.org/archives/...m_campaign=ISRAPUNDIT+DAILY+DIGEST+JULY+22/15

Tokens
Meanwhile, a few miles away.....

Report on PA Education System Shows Widespread Glorification of Terrorism

Hate, anti-Semitism, and honoring murderers are fundamental elements of PA education. A new report, "Palestinian Authority Education: A Recipe for Hate and Terror," reveals why there won't be peace in the next generation unless this PA education process is immediately reversed.

The report includes chapters on names of schools (dozens named after terrorists), school activities (e.g., visiting homes of terrorists), statements and activities of educators (e.g., presenting murderers as role models and promising a world without Israel), schoolbooks, informal education (children reciting poems on kids' TV programs: e.g., Jews are monkeys and pigs; Tel Aviv is "occupied Palestine"), and a chapter with examples of honoring Hitler. (Palestinian Media Watch)

Read the report - Palestinian Authority Education: A Recipe for Hate and Terror (Palestinian Media Watch)

Rx Normal
Tokens

Tokens
www.verygoodnewsisrael.blogspot.com
In the 30th Aug 2015 edition of Israel’s good news, the highlights include:
· Israeli eye doctors restored the sight of 90 patients in Kyrgyzstan.
· El Al has enrolled its first Haredi woman onto its elite pilot training course.
· Israeli water experts are holding summits in ten US cities.
· The Philippines is adopting Israeli greenhouse technology to feed its population.
· An Israeli company is to build a huge water system for 131 Indian villages.
· Maccabi Tel Aviv beat FC Basle to qualify for the European Champions League.

Tokens
What do you expect from all the money they steal from Palestine???

Tokens
Netanyahu to EU: Stop Pressuring Us to Endanger Our Existence (Prime Minister's Office)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told visiting European Council President Donald Tusk on Tuesday:

• [*]The militant Sunnis led by Islamic State and the militant Shiites led by Iran are moving into the ruins of shattered states in the Middle East and they each want to establish their own Islamic empire. They fight each other over who will be king of this empire.
    [*]But make no mistake about it. Whom they target is, first, us, other Muslims, and Christians, but then you. Iran is building ICBMs for Europe, not for us. They can reach us already. They're building intercontinental missiles for Europe and for the United States.
    [*]I find it perplexing that some in Europe are still possessed by the anti-Israeli obsession. Hundreds of thousands are being slaughtered in the Middle East, millions are being displaced, but some in Europe believe the only thing they have to do is to press, boycott and vilify the Middle East's only true democracy.
    [*]Israel is the only vanguard of liberty in the region, the only country where human rights are respected, where there is a free press and where the values that we share with Europe serve as our map and our compass and our way of life. We are the guardians of civilization here in the heart of the Middle East against this new barbarism.
    [*]I want to discuss with you how Europe and Israel can cooperate to assure the progress of modernity for all the peoples of the Middle East, for peace with all our neighbors, but also for the sake of our common future; and to see if we can steer Europe into a more productive course rather than the one that seeks to unilaterally press Israel into agreements that will endanger our very existence and therefore your very defense.

Tokens
Ayatollah Khamenei: "Zionist Regime Will Cease to Exist in 25 Years" (Jerusalem Post)
Israel will cease to exist within 25 years, Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei vowed in his official Twitter account on Wednesday.
"God willing, there will be nothing of the Zionist regime by the next 25 years."
"Until then, struggling, heroic, and jihadi morale will leave no moment of serenity for Zionists," Khamenei tweeted.

Tokens
Ayatollah Khamenei: "Zionist Regime Will Cease to Exist in 25 Years" (Jerusalem Post)
Israel will cease to exist within 25 years, Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei vowed in his official Twitter account on Wednesday.
"God willing, there will be nothing of the Zionist regime by the next 25 years."
"Until then, struggling, heroic, and jihadi morale will leave no moment of serenity for Zionists," Khamenei tweeted.

Glad somebody posted this. Who wouldn't want to make a deal with this guy? Can't wait to see what other positives come out of our new relationship with Tehran.

Tokens
Glad somebody posted this. Who wouldn't want to make a deal with this guy? Can't wait to see what other positives come out of our new relationship with Tehran.

The Palis feel the same way :(
Of course none of them mention that since Israel came along their average life expectancy has increased by 25 years. Same with the Bedouin Arabs.

New Poll Shows Why Palestinians Have No Interest in Peace - Evelyn Gordon

A poll published last week by David Pollock of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy found that 81% of West Bankers and 88% of Gazans asserted that all the territory of Israel, the West Bank and Gaza "is Palestinian land and Jews have no rights to the land." This has serious implications for how Israel should be handling the Palestinian issue. The fact that most Palestinians still aspire to Israel's ultimate eradication makes the widely accepted principle of "land for peace" completely inapplicable.
The same poll found that in 30 to 40 years, only a quarter of the Palestinian respondents expected Israel to "continue to exist as a Jewish state." The poll shows an overwhelming majority of Palestinians think they're on track to achieve their goal of eradicating Israel within a few decades. In other words, they think their current strategy of refusing to sign a permanent peace deal is working, so why would they want to change it?
As the poll shows, the crux of the conflict is the Palestinian belief that "Jews have no rights to the land." Palestinians also believe they are succeeding in converting the rest of the world to this view, which merely fuels their conviction that they will ultimately succeed in destroying Israel. (Commentary)

Tokens
No I am not perfect. So sometimes the words, "FUCKING ARAB DOGS!!!" tumble out of my mouth. And this is one of those times:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-seriously-wounded-in-jerusalem-rock-throwing-attack/
An Israeli man was seriously wounded and two others sustained light injuries when a car they were riding in came under attack by rock-throwers in Jerusalem late Sunday night.

Unknown assailants believed to be Palestinian residents of east Jerusalem attacked the car with stones, causing the driver to lose control, run into a ditch and crash into a pole.

The incident occurred in the Arnona neighborhood in southeast Jerusalem.

The three individuals were returning from a family dinner celebrating the Jewish New Year which began Sunday evening.
The injured man, in is 50s, was taken to Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem for treatment.
Police were searching for the perpetrators.
rescue-and-fire-635x357.jpg

The scene of the car crash September 13, 2015 resulting from a rock-throwing attack in Arnona, Jerusalem in which one man was severely wounded. (Arik Abulof/ Jerusalem Fire and Rescue Services)

Rx Normal
Tokens
Hook. Line. Sinker. :pointer:

How does one 'steal' from peasants? You may as well claim Donald Trump steals from the homeless.

Palestinians are nothing but a nuisance for Israelis. They even built a wall to keep them from disrupting their way of life.

Tokens
Pretty sad that it's a given....

What the Third Lebanon War Will Look Like - Ron Ben-Yishai (Ynet News)

While Hizbullah is deeply submerged in the Syrian quagmire, over the past year its leadership has been preparing for the Third Lebanon War.
The next war will begin with Hizbullah firing around 1,200 more accurate rockets a day, which will target civilians, military facilities, and essential services throughout Israel.
Damage will be much smaller if the David's Sling missile defense system, designed to intercept missiles with a longer range than Iron Dome, is operative by then.

Hizbullah special forces are also expected to cross into Israeli territory to conquer towns, kidnap hostages, and block major transportation arteries in the north.
Hizbullah will also launch intensive barrages of mortal shells and short-range rockets to unleash mass death and destruction in Israeli border communities.
Israel's response will be aimed at stopping Hizbullah's rocket fire and preventing infiltration into Israeli territory.

There will be significant and speedy maneuvering of large IDF forces into Lebanese territory and thousands of targets will be hit throughout Lebanon for many days.
The IDF is adding a defensive element through what is known as "the obstacle." This is an artificial cliff being dug in the mountain slopes next to border communities.

CNN already has Dershowitz and Zogby the terror apologist on speed-dial.

Tokens
U.S. Vets' Wheelchairs Can Go Down Stairs with Israeli Tech - Abigail Klein Leichman (Israel21c)
Wheelchair-bound U.S. army veterans will be among the first users of the revolutionary Acrobat Wheel created by Israeli company SoftWheel to increase their mobility significantly.
Riders can go over rocky or uneven terrain, get down a curb or down stairs due to a patented suspension mechanism in the wheel.

Tokens
  • Hamas Steps Up Recruitment of Fighters to Meet Shortage - Hazem Balousha
    Almost daily in most regions in the Gaza Strip, Hamas' al-Qassam Brigades militants perform military parades. Masked militants hold light weapons and miniature versions of missiles and aircraft that the Brigades claim to have developed and manufactured locally and used in their confrontation with Israel. Large signs in the main cities praise Hamas' military capabilities during the latest war. Sculptures of missiles and aircraft are placed in key squares. Al-Qassam organized military training camps for boys and young men, dubbed the "vanguards of liberation camps," during the students' midterm break in January and during their summer vacation in August.

• A well-informed source in the Hamas leadership discussed its recruiting strategy with Al-Monitor: "Few young men are attracted through mosques and the preaching department, but through al-Qassam Brigades summer camps and other popular activities, attracting young men became faster and more effective. Al-Qassam Brigades need fighters, not preachers, since there is a shortage in fighters as a result of successive wars. This shortage must not only be compensated for, but rather the number of fighters must be increased."

• Another source in the al-Qassam Brigades' leadership said: "The decline in the number of fighters is not only due to wars and military confrontations, but there is also the time factor. Members are getting older and are no longer physically fit to serve as fighters on the front lines. We are in dire need of younger fighters. Summer camps are a very suitable place to get to know young people and practically test their abilities, physical strength and desire to become militants." (Al-Monitor)

Tokens
Nazi Fucks still run Europe:
A Modern-Day Yellow Star - Dan Margalit

• The European Parliament last week endorsed the labeling of products from Israeli settlements. The EU has gone out of its way to distract itself from dealing with the onslaught of Muslim migrants by putting the mark of Cain on settlement industries that provide livelihoods to many Palestinians.

• The product labeling effort is a disgraceful form of boycott. The naive among us believe it is just a way of differentiating between what is produced within the 1967 Green Line and what is manufactured beyond that line. However, European supermarket managers will have no patience for figuring out the difference between Tel Aviv and Ariel. They will just forgo Israeli products altogether and order similar products from other countries, which will adversely affect all Israeli exports.

• The EU labeling effort is a blatantly anti-Israeli initiative. Europe has decided once again to single out Jews through a disgraceful form of boycott. The labeling efforts led by EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini are the 2015 version of the yellow Star of David introduced in Nazi Germany. (Israel Hayom)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com