The Sports Cruncher's 2015 CFB Team Wins Projections.

Search

Chomping at the bits
Tokens
The Sports Cruncher's 2015 MAC Team Wins Analysis

My season win total projections are based on last year's stats, regression, returning starters, coaches time with team and recruiting scores. Last year's stats are weighted the most, with all the other factors modifying the run/pass projections with formulas. I've done very little manual alterations to the stats that form the projections.

I don't pretend to be an expert on football history, coaching, personnel, recruiting or even the x's and o's of football itself, but I've read multiple previews for each team from which I've gleaned knowledge on these subjects, which I hope I can use in increasing amounts in the years to come to further shape projections and early in the season spread projections. I usually like at least 3+ games in a season before I start trusting season stats on their own. In college football, with such a short season and with the majority of games against D 1-AA coming early in the season, it would be nice to have an edge in handicapping each team for the first month of play. This is my first crack at it, so buyer beware, lol.

If you know me at all from the many seasons I've posted in NFL and NCAA football here at TheRx, you know that my spreads predict line moves in the market at a very high rate. While I was a solid winner in the NFL for all but one year here, so far I'm just 1-2 in winning seasons in college football. This in spite of massively crushing the market on closing lines on my wagers each season. My usual betting style is to bet any side or total that I project to have any value against the vig, whatsoever, so I end up with a big card each week. Last year after hundreds of bets on the season I was down a grand total of 13 units (average bet is usually less than a unit), even though I beat the closing lines by 500 points across all my wagers. It sure felt like a lot of bad beats last year, lol. I may make good on my threat to pare down my number of wagers this year, I probably should, lol.

Looking at week #1's spreads, my projected lines have already picked up value of a half point on average for each side since I first logged the spreads available. Once I'm done with these quick conference previews I'll post my week #1 analysis and picks.

Looking at the pictures for each conference that I'm posting, the "Raw Record Projection" is the straight up wins and losses I project after running every game of the season through my usual line-making spreadsheet. The "ML (Money Line) Converted Projected Wins for Next Season" is derived from taking my projected spread for each game and converting that via the standard chart that converts spreads into percent chance of winning, and then summing those. So if, for example, a team is projected to have a higher raw W/L record than the ML projected wins, it means typically that they are favored to win many close games. The converse would then also be true. I'd start by using the ML projected wins as a base number, and then look at the raw W/L record as the optimistic or pessimistic potential range of wins and losses, depending on how it varies from the ML projection. After that, if a play looks profitable, it's a matter of looking at each individual game of the schedule to see if there is a safe minimum or maximum number of wins or losses that can be relied on to aid any wager placed.

All games against D 1-AA opponents are counted as a 100% chance of winning, for better or worse, as are any games against FBS newcomer Charlotte.

*Bovada was down for maintenance when I was line shopping some of the teams today, so only the 5Dimes lines are listed for some.

Akron
This is the year that Akron's roster is supposed to be peaking. They will be aided by some key transfers from other schools. As such, Akron is the only school in the MAC where I did a "manual override" to boost some of the projections, in a conservative manner. Even still, Akron projects to be a poor team this year because their offense, especially their passing game, was terrible last year. They've got a 4 star Pitt transfer and a highly touted freshman pressing for the starting job, so whoever Akron ends up with behind center it should be an improvement over last year, and that regression is factored into my projections. There's nothing but upside to Akron's passing game, but they have to prove it on the field.

Akron's defense rates to be solid again, and will challenge for the spot as the MAC's best this year.

Current lines for season wins: Bovada 7 (-120 O, -120 U) 5Dimes 7.5 (+160 O, -210 U)

My projections have Akron with 8 single digit losses this year, with half of those by less than one score. Assuming that Akron will improve more than the typical team this year, and more than accounted for in my projections, Akron can easily reach 5-6 wins this year. Giving Akron a win for every game where they are less than a 7 point dog puts them at 6 wins. To get to 7 they'll have to either beat CMU at home, Miami-OH on the road, Ohio at home, or UL-Lafayette on the road. Doable? Sure. But am I really willing to start moving the majority of projected losses into the win column just to push a season win total of 7? No, I'm not. When I watched Akron play last year the only thing I remember is Terry Bowden making terrible coaching and clock decisions, lol. The bulk of the also-rans in the MAC are also projected to improve this season. If Akron somehow manages to take a much bigger slice of the improvement pie this season than I project than I guess I'll have learned my lesson, but I'm going to bet that Akron doesn't double their win total from last year.

1/2 UNIT PLAY: AKRON UNDER 7 WINS (-120 BOVADA)

Ball State
Ball improved in the second half of the season last year, but how well that translates to an overall improved season in 2015 hinges on the overall QB play they end up getting. Last year because of poor play and injuries they divided time between two QBs who both return this year.

Current lines for season wins: Bovada 7 (+110 O, -150 U) 5Dimes 7 (+120 O, -160 U)

You're telling me that Ball State would have to win 8 games for the Under to lose? Yes, it's -150 juice, but assuming Ball wins the games they're supposed to, who else will they have to beat to even get to 7 wins? CMU at home (I don't think so), Bowling Green at home (I can easily concede this one), Toledo at home (I don't think so), Ohio on the road (I don't think so), WMU on the road (I don't think so), NIU on the road (I don't think so), NW and TA&M on the road (you know the drill). Giving them BGSU puts them at 5 wins. So they'd have to steal 2 "I don't think so's" just to push the bet, and 3 for the bet to lose. Ball has a tough schedule, I'd bet on that.

1/2 UNIT PLAY: BALL UNDER 7 WINS (-150 BOVADA)

Bowling Green State University

BGSU's uptempo offense last year mostly just ended up giving the opponent more opportunities to score. Dino Baber in his second year as head coach now will probably have improvement on that side of the ball. They return 10 starters on offense, including a full offensive line. The defense only returns 5 starters, and will continue to be a liability. After an opening month that will probably see them winless, they'll have to flip the script and sweep October to have a chance at Bowl eligibility. My projections lean Under here, and with the +juice that's definitely the wager I'd make if I were to play one.

Current lines for season wins: Bovada 5.5 (-175 O, +135 U) 5Dimes 5 (-260 O, +180 U)

Buffalo
The Lance Leipold era in FBS begins in Buffalo in 2015. That alone adds interest to each game Buffalo plays this year. Buffalo's passing game with Joe Licata had it's moments last year, primarily at home. The defense sadly, was near the worst in the MAC, and even managed to get steamrolled by EMU's near-worst-offense-in-the-FBS squad last year. Defense is Leipold's calling card, so the question is how many years will it take before he gets his system and players in place? One can't expect too much this year, anyway. Looking at my projections Buffalo has a chance to surprise and reach Bowl eligibility if things go well...but also struggle with just a few wins tops if things don't. It's a pass, for me.

Current lines for season wins: Bovada 5 (+150 O, -200 U) 5Dimes 5.5 (+200 O, -280 U)

Central Michigan University
Is everyone really so afraid of a head coaching change here? Yes, it's John Bonamego's first stint as a head coach. If CMU can perform at near the same level as last year, ie the coach doesn't screw things up too badly, CMU has fantastic value on the Over here. They've lost some players, but not dramatically so, only slightly worse than average. They get their starting QB, punter and kicker back (even if they don't have world beaters in those special teams positions).

But the QB, Cooper Rush? He put up some solid numbers last year, and I rated CMU's pass offense 2nd best in the MAC last year, just barely edging out Toledo for that position. The difference between CMU and best passing game in the MAC WMU, though, is muuuuuch greater than the gap CMU had between 5 other MAC teams below them.

And did I rate CMU to have the best defense in the MAC last year? Why yes, yes I did. On run defense only one team in the MAC was able to get better than their usual YPC average versus CMU, Miami-OH, and that was by only .1 of a yard. Against all of the MAC teams they faced they held them on average to 1.2 yards below their usual ypc average. They were susceptible to the better passing teams they faced, though.

Monmouth and EMU at home are 2 wins in the bag. Buffalo at home 3/4 in the bag. The question of whether CMU brings home the Over, then, depends on how improved Akron and Kent are this year, which they both face on the road. I project CMU to win those games, but...hmmm. I also like CMU to beat NIU at home in a squeaker and Ball on the road. So yeah, 7 wins, it could happen. 4 wins? It could also happen, depending on how things shake out in the unpredictable MAC. As tempting as that Over 4 wins looks, especially given my projection, the juice is scaring me off it right now. Let's call it an extremely heavy lean for now.

Current lines for season wins: Bovada 4 (-150 O, +110 U) 5Dimes 4 (-150 O, +110 U)

Eastern Michigan University
EMU redshirted and waited last year. They should improve some this year. That being said, they could still be shut out in MAC play. I have them just edging Army at home as their lone win. At home early against Ball State and later in the year against UMASS are their best opportunities for other wins. Pass.

Current lines for season wins: Bovada 1.5 (-150 O, +110 U) 5Dimes 4 (-180 O, +140 U)

Kent State
After what should be a rough first month of an out of conference schedule (with a win versus Delaware State slid in there), the only near certainty I'm seeing for Kent is a loss at Toledo in week 6. But with Toledo potentially due for a little backsliding...There are a lot of winnable and losable games on the schedule for Kent in MAC play this year, which is true for all these middle of the road MAC teams, as I've been saying. 6 wins? Possibly. 3 wins? Possibly. Pass.

Current lines for season wins: Bovada 4.5 (-175 O, +135 U) 5Dimes 4 (-165 O, +125 U)

UMASS
Dangerous pass offense, derelict everything else. I project UMASS to be in 8 games this season decided by less than one score, making a guess at wins pretty random here. If anything, lean Under because of the raw W/L projection and the + juice.

Current lines for season wins: 5Dimes 4.5 (-185 O, +145 U)

Miami of Ohio
Miami is one of four MAC schools with a head coach entering his 2nd year at the program. They rebounded decently last year after suffering their worst statistical season in a decade in 2013. While my numbers show value on the Over 4 games for them this year, my enthusiasm is tempered by the fact that most of the teams in the MAC are rated to improve this year more than Miami. With Presbyterian and EMU at home, that's halfway to those 4 games, though. Buffalo and Akron at home could get them the push, but both of those teams are wildcards this year. So are UMass and Kent to some degree, the two teams I have M-OH beating on the road in the raw projections. But look at the fact that M-OH only lost by more than 10 points to one team in the MAC last year, WMU. Getting +juice on the wager seals the deal for me, as I think the worst case scenario is M-OH wins their last 4 games of the year to push the bet, lol.

1/2 UNIT PLAY: M-OH OVER 4 WINS

Current lines for season wins: 5Dimes 4 (+150 O, -180 U)

Northern Illinois
No team in the FBS saw their pass defense improve more over the 2nd half of the season than NIU last year. They went from being a fade team to a profitable one in their final few games against the MAC. I factor in directional trends in offensive and defense units in the 2nd half of the season when setting lines, but I've stripped that away for the end of season ratings I'm using here. So in spite of improving on defense as the year progressed, NIU still finished up with the 94th ranked defense last year, a solid step below 5 other MAC teams last year. Offense is clearly the strength of the team, but there's a question of where the big play potential is going to come from with this year's squad. Drew Hare is a decent quarterback, but still a bit better running the ball than passing it. Their offensive line is rebuilding outside of a couple of good starters as well (including All-MAC center Andrew Ness). NIU rates to be more consistent out of the gate this year, but can they still fend off the top tier MAC teams while continuing to win against the improving middle of the MAC teams? Assuming losses to OSU and BC (though with BC in a rebuilding year there's an outside chance for NIU to pull the upset), NIU only has to lose 2 other games for the Under to win. A home game against WMU is a near toss up. A road game against Toledo will also be a challenge. CMU could still be a tough out this year, which they get on the road. The toughest part of NIU's schedule is at the end of the season. Drew Hare stayed healthy last year, but there seems to be a decent chance with as much running as he does in the offense (2nd in rushes only behind now departed TB Cameron Stingly last year) that he could get banged up at some point in the season. That's not good when the games you really need to win are in the final month of games. NIU doesn't have much experience behind him at QB, either. Looking at the full picture it seems to me that best case scenario NIU gets to 8 wins, worst case they could fall out of Bowl eligibility.

1/2 UNIT PLAY: NIU Under 8.5 WINS

Current lines for season wins: 5Dimes 8.5 (-145 O, +105 U)

Ohio
If you bet on Ohio at all last year, you know how frustrating of an experience that could be. They seemed to squander opportunities like nobody else, were awful on the road, and the 2 man carousel of QBs they started never found it's rhythm as it lurched up and down to the sound of old-timey pipe organ music. Derrius Vick looked better with the eyeballs and much better on the stat line, so hears to hoping that he's the man come fall ball.

In spite of showing some value on the Over here, I don't see reason enough to take the bait. Ohio is only superior versus the MAC in one match up -- run defense, which is a great thing to be good at, but in and of itself won't win you games. I expect Ohio to be a scrappy out, but with too many question marks on offense to back with a season play, especially with the very stiff juice attached.

Current lines for season wins: 5Dimes 5 (-180 O, +140 U)

Toledo
Toledo had decent QB play out of both Woodside and Ely last year, but they both went down with injuries and were still recovering in the spring, leaving a question mark as to the health and stability of the position come fall. But oh, those running backs. Stacked. The offensive line this year will be starting from scratch though, which is never good for a team with gaudy running stats. Toledo returns all the skill positions, but skill doesn't get a chance to execute if the line doesn't do it's job, so...

Toledo returns the bulk of their defense, a squad that was above average against the run but below average versus the pass MAC-wise.

Looking at their 2015 schedule you see that Toledo has the potential to go undefeated in MAC play. But if the line doesn't gel and the QBs go down again they could go winless in their final 4 games. So while the raw projection puts them at 10-2, the ML converted projection is 7.9. With the number set at 7 and -170 juice, I'm going to pass.

Current lines for season wins: 5Dimes 7 (-170 O, +130 U)

Western Michigan
WMU returns a higher % of their offensive yards than any team in the MAC this year (96%), with a near average return of defensive playmakers. It might have come against a pretty lousy line up of pass defenses (barring VT and CMU), but WMU had an incredibly good pass offense last year (I rank them 13th best). Beyond that they were FBS below average at everything else, but still better than most of their MAC-mates, which is why they found themselves in the MAC championship against NIU, a game they lost in the 2nd half.

WMU could overtake Toledo as the best offense in the MAC this year, so why the market pessimism on WMU's win total this year? -300 on the Under on the surface of it looks crazy. You'd have to assume that WMU has a tough schedule, and you'd be right. They rate to lose all 3 of their non-conference FBS games (though an upset win at Georgia Southern rates as a 38% possibility right now). Michigan State and Ohio State? Fuggedaboutit. Murray State, EMU (road) & Ball State and BGSU at home look project as double digit wins. Even if NIU runs the table in the MAC up until the final two weeks of the season, they'd have to beat both NIU and Toledo on the road for the Over 8 to be a winner. Raw projections have them narrowly winning both those games, but the ML converted win total for the season is 6.8. So yeah, in sum, it's a pass on a season play for the Broncos.

Current lines for season wins: 5Dimes 8 (+220 O, -300 U)

Chomping at the bits
Tokens
U1cYSFQ.jpg

Tokens
Crunch, looks like you put a lot of work into sharing this post. I believe the MAC provides a gaming man several good opportunities during the season. I like betting this conference.

I'm still reading trying to digest all the information.

Chomping at the bits
Tokens
Thanks, clover. The ratings and ranking in the graph are from last year, btw, using my own formulas.

Banned
Tokens
I see you put a lot of effort in this and it is appreciated, but the best play when talking Total wins in the MAC is no play. This is the MAC we are talking about.

Nirvana Shill
Tokens
I see you put a lot of effort in this and it is appreciated, but the best play when talking Total wins in the MAC is no play. This is the MAC we are talking about.

What difference does it make what conference a good play comes from ? another foolish comment

Tokens
The MAC is just a tough conference to read overall but you can make money on it. I'll be the first to admit that last year the MAC games I wagered on got the best of me. However, the year before last, I had a very good season playing MAC games. One team that seems to do fairly well is NIU. I win a decent amount of wagers on NIU based upon the spread and who they are playing. Against bigger name teams they keep games close and against no name teams they tend to dominate. Also, they have a lot of big game experience and have a winning tradition over the last 4+ seasons, so when it comes to conference title games or pivotal conference games I always lean on them to cover the spread one way or another. That's the easier part for me, the hardest part is figuring out who the hell is going to show up from week to week when t comes to all the other teams like bowling green, ball state, Toledo etc etc...

its its a conference where I only bet a couple teams and leave the rest alone. To much information I don't know and players you have no idea about or what they're capable of. There's my two cents

Chomping at the bits
Tokens
For sure the MAC can be unpredictable. I know from the past that some of the plays that looked like gold on paper were worse the pesos on fire by halftime, lol. I'm just making some fun-sized bets that regression towards the mean and parity play a strong part in the MAC this year.

Tokens
Someone gave me a great tip last season that teams in say the bottom 15% or so in your power ratings should just be avoided because it is too much of a crapshoot, unless you are really studying these MAC teams closely. So this marker line or quota if you will, usually includes at least half if not a majority of the MAC conference, although this year they do look a little bit stronger, but we shall see and I'm certainly not running to the window to bet on any of these teams.

Chomping at the bits
Tokens
Someone gave me a great tip last season that teams in say the bottom 15% or so in your power ratings should just be avoided because it is too much of a crapshoot, unless you are really studying these MAC teams closely. So this marker line or quota if you will, usually includes at least half if not a majority of the MAC conference, although this year they do look a little bit stronger, but we shall see and I'm certainly not running to the window to bet on any of these teams.

Would that preclude betting against them as well? Betting on a bottom team has a place at times, I think, but it's usually going to be at home, when they are showing some improvement, and are playing an over-rated team. So yeah, it does take more components working together to justify the risk.

I'm by no means a MAC lover (I think the Sun Belt is going to be much more entertaining this year), I just decided to start there as it is where I had been studying. I'll probably do the Sun Belt next.

Tokens
Would that preclude betting against them as well? Betting on a bottom team has a place at times, I think, but it's usually going to be at home, when they are showing some improvement, and are playing an over-rated team. So yeah, it does take more components working together to justify the risk.

I'm by no means a MAC lover (I think the Sun Belt is going to be much more entertaining this year), I just decided to start there as it is where I had been studying. I'll probably do the Sun Belt next.

No it would not include betting against them, but that would usually require laying heavy chalk so not sure what your feelings are about that, it does have its place from time to time, in limited quantities imo. I'm talking about getting lured into taking them as a dog, kinda like in the NFL when every system in the world is screaming, hey go bet on the Jacksonville Jaguars - you need some sort of filter to block that action, nope not gonna do it. SBC is even below the MAC in terms of the bottom feeder index. Good luck!

Chomping at the bits
Tokens
I hear ya, sendacash. Of the 4 small MAC plays I made, 3 were fades on the Under. The only Over I took was on Miami-OH at 4 games getting +juice. Phil Steele has them as one of his five worst teams for this year. A bad sign for me, perhaps, lol. I think they were a bit better than their record last year -- I had them ranked 103rd.

Tokens
Speaking of the MAC. If Bowling Green were playing Tennessee tomorrow, I take BG +21 and the Over. Tennessee will score often on the Falcon defense but my view is Bowling Green has the offense to score a bunch of points also...at least enough to keep within the number.

Yes, I know Bowling Green's defense is 'lacking' but the Vols have Oklahoma on deck and will be reserved on offense trying not to show Stoops and Company much to plan for.

Chomping at the bits
Tokens
My week #1 number on that game is almost dead on, with the game on a neutral field. I am showing some value on the Over, though.

Tokens
I think the MAC might be the most inefficient conference to bet. A lot of simple strategies work

Sunbelt WAS great but too much change in recent years

Tokens
Week one I have two games I would bet tomorrow. One being Bowling Green and the other UCLA covering Virginia.

The BG/Tenn game opened at 21 and hasn't had much early play. My 'hope' and I believe it will happen is the Vol fans will pump the number up to around 23 or more. The game will be bet up more than 21, just don't know how high.

Unless it goes below 21...it's a play for me.

Chomping at the bits
Tokens
My number is almost dead on for UCLA/UVA also, and showing value on the Over again.

Tokens
Week one I have two games I would bet tomorrow. One being Bowling Green and the other UCLA covering Virginia.

The BG/Tenn game opened at 21 and hasn't had much early play. My 'hope' and I believe it will happen is the Vol fans will pump the number up to around 23 or more. The game will be bet up more than 21, just don't know how high.

Unless it goes below 21...it's a play for me.

I think you might be better off waiting for that one Clover, the old rule: bet the favs early and the dogs late

Chomping at the bits
Tokens
OY3zB7N.jpg

The Sports Cruncher's 2015 Sun Belt Team Wins Analysis

Looking at my MAC Raw Record Projections, you see that there is at least one team projected to win every possible number of games from 1 through 10. The standard deviation of the ML Projected Wins for the MAC is 1.51 (2.15 in the SB). In the Sun Belt you'll find a pretty noticeable gap in the middle range of projections. While the MAC appears to have a middling group of teams with some potential to upset the upper teams in the conference, the Sun Belt does not. The Sun Belt is comprised of the haves and the have nots, with Texas State alone finding itself, like so much of the United States, a member of the all but vanished middle class. Southern Alabama is poised to join the middle class -- time will tell. Newcomers Georgia Southern and Appalachian State emerged as the two best teams in the division, right out of the gate. Do any of the old guard have what it takes to take out the new kids on the block this year? I don't think so.

Appalachian State
APP caught fire midway through the season last year, not just covering spreads, but winning outright as dogs at ARST and ULL as well. App first hit the radar with an earthquake sized blip after demolishing Troy in week #8. This set up the confidence to make a play on them against GAST the following week possibly the biggest wager of the year. Why? Huge snow storm + GAST on the road + suddenly good looking APP squad. The Under also ended up being a winner, I believe. I rode the APP money train in their final 5 games of the season -- they were certainly a bright spot for me in an otherwise disappointing season that saw me down a bit, lol.

This year APP returns more starters than anyone else in FBS, I believe. They have a favorable schedule with a solid potential of winning 10 games this year. The ML projection tempers that enthusiasm with a number of 8.1. The projections reflect close wins @ ODU and at home versus ARST & ULL. Maybe at even juice I'd flirt with them winning 2 of those 3, but at -215? Umm, no.

Current line for season wins: 5Dimes 8.5 (-215 Over +165 Under)

Arkansas State
The Red Wolves enjoy the luxury of a returning head coach for the first time in a while. In spite of the coaching carousel they've cemented their position as one of the "haves" in the conference for many seasons (which has lead to the coach pilfering, of course...). ARST gets almost everyone back on offense. ARST has a tough non-con schedule with their best chance of winning a game @ Toledo. So yeah, it's most likely 3 losses on the schedule in the first month. That means they could lose just one more game to hit the Over. I project a loss @ APP. Now we're at 8 wins. With a game @ SOAL and home against ULL and TXST we're probably looking at one more loss, which is why I have a raw projection of 8-4 and ML projection of 7.2. It's a pass with an Over lean. They could end up sweeping conference play, though, absolutely.

Current line for season wins: 5Dimes 7 (+105 Over -145 Under)

Georgia Southern

GASO loses almost their entire starting offensive line, but that's about it. Does that warrant such a pessimistic win total of 7.5? I don't think so. GASO had such a superior run game to anyone else in the conference last year that even with a healthy regression factored in the rest of the conference shouldn't catch up. Whatever offensive linemen they end up fielding were recruited into the system, so have a little faith, lol.

An upset at West Virginia in week #1 would be exciting, but my line that puts them with an outsidish chance of doing so is more optimistic than the current betting line. Counting that game and a roadie at Georgia as losses, what can they do with the remaining 10 games? They get an early visit from WMU -- that will be a tough game. I project a win, but let's say it's a loss and they've got 9 games now. Their toughest road conference game is at APP. Hey, I like GASO to win that one as well, but let's say they don't. What can they do with 8 games? Win them all by two+ touchdowns, I say. They have an extremely soft conference schedule outside of the APP game, missing ARST and ULL this year. It would take injuries and bad luck to win less than the worst case scenario 8 games I'm seeing for them this year.

ADDING FOR 1/2 UNIT: GASO OVER 7.5 WINS

Current line for season wins: 5Dimes 7.5 (-115 Over -125 Under)

Georgia State
Right in line with my projections. Pass. GAST will have a matured roster this season, and returns the QB in what was their only strength last year, the passing game. With a little luck they could beat the other bottom feeders of the Sun Belt and get Over the number. But with that juice...still a pass.

Current line for season wins: 5Dimes 2.5 (-140 Over +100 Under)

Idaho
Can a Petrino bring any success to the most sad sack football school in FBS? My magic 8 ball says "not this year." To close to my projections. Pass.

Current line for season wins: 5Dimes 3.5 (+110 Over -150 Under)

New Mexico State
The Aggies have a more mature roster this year. Their running game last year was a bit better than their fellow Sun Belt cellar dwellers with the exciting Larry Rose III. Depth and defense doom their desire to improve much, unfortunately. Best case scenario for the Aggies? 5 wins, which they'd be thrilled with. Worst case? Zero, zip, nada. So 3 with the juice on the Under indeed seems to be an accurate line.

Current line for season wins: 5Dimes 3 (+125 Over -165 Under)

Southern Alabama
The Jaguars lost a ton of players after last season, more than anyone else in the conference. To offset that they picked up a lot of pieces from the shuttered and shattered UAB program. Former UAB QB Cody Clements is much better than last year's starter, Brandon Bridge. Bridge is gone, so that's one Bridge they wouldn't have to burn to put Clements in control of the offense. If things gel SOAL could be a dangerous out for Sun Belt opponents this year. If. I did make a manual adjustment to SOAL's projections in the passing game with the addition of Clements (and a couple of good targets, as well) of 10%. Considering they were near worst in FBS last year, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

I project SOAL to beat Gardner-Webb, @ Troy, Idaho and @ GAST. That right there puts them Over the 3.5 wins. I think against ARST, TXST, ULL and APP they'll manage to steal one game. They do have a tough schedule but I think 4 games is their floor this season.

Current line for season wins: 5Dimes 3.5 (-135 Over -105 Under)

ADDING FOR 1/2 UNIT: SOAL OVER 3.5 WINS

Troy
The Neal Brown era begins in 2015. His predecessor was the head coach at Troy since before any of the players were born. Troy returns a lot of offensive pieces and could certainly show some marginal gains as a squad this year, but 4 wins is the exact number that can't be flirted with. Lean on the Under with the + juice, but with 1 D 1-AA game and 5 toss up conference games on the schedule it's a pass.

Current line for season wins: 5Dimes 4 (-150 Over +110 Under)

Texas State
Just looking at my projections I can see that this is a pass.

Current line for season wins: 5Dimes 7 (+115 Over -155 Under)

University of Louisiana-Lafayette
Just looking at my projections I can see that this is a pass. Of the upper echelon Sun Belt teams, ULL is the only one to lose their starting QB, Terrance Broadway. ULL was one of three SB teams with a decent pass offense last year (of which GAST was suprisingly one!)

Current line for season wins: 5Dimes 8 (+100 Over -140 Under)

University of Lousiana-Monroe
ULM had the worst running game in the FBS last year, with a sub top 100 passing offense as well. That made it hard for the Sun Belt's 2nd best offense to win games last year, though it sure as hell kept them close to pulling some nice upsets, as they lost by a score or less to TXST, TA&M (on the road!), APP, ULL and GASO. That's rough.

A healthy portion of the defense returns, which they'll have to lean on again. The offense does at least get a good RB in the backfield with the returned of injured DeVontae McNeal. The QB position will be filled with inexperienced, regardless of who gets the starting nod.

The juice on 4 wins is in line with my projections. Unfortunately for ULM and their quest for more than 4 wins this season the bulk of their winnable games come on the road, against Tulsa, Idaho and Troy. ULM is, however, one of the 5 FBS teams with a negative Standardized Home Field Advantage, so I expect them to win at least 2 of those, which puts them on 4 wins for the season. Pass.

Current line for season wins: 5Dimes 4 (-210 Over +160 Under)

Banned
Tokens
What difference does it make what conference a good play comes from ? another foolish comment
What it means, you dumb stupid moron is that the MAC is so flaky that any team can finish with just about any record within 3 games. Red, you are going to look real funny walking around with your tail wrapped around your shoulders at the end of this season. Have you taken Oregon plus the points against Michigan State yet, you coward? You already bailed out on Oregon against USC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
callgirls
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com