Cnotes Sports Page For Friday July 24th Best Bets-Trends-News !

Search

Tokens
Big Unit finds life in focus after HOF

July 23, 2015

PHOENIX (AP) With great enthusiasm, in great detail, Randy Johnson talks of watching through a camera lens as wild dogs in Africa chased a leopard from the carcass of a gazelle, and how the leopard stayed warily nearby for his chance to salvage what food it could. He witnessed female lions work to extract a dead baby elephant floating down a river, the male lion watching from above on a nearby ridge.

He has photographed rock star friends from onstage and taken his cameras on USO tours to military installations around the world.

Somewhere along the way, Johnson's intimidating glare faded away. Often a broad smile was in its place.

Johnson clearly is enjoying life after baseball.

''As you know, I was extremely intense when I played. I just felt like I was wired that way,'' said Johnson, who will be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame this weekend. ''Since I retired I'd like to think that I'm not wound as tight because the expectations of whatever those expectations are every fifth day aren't there anymore. `'

Mark Grace played against Johnson before becoming a teammate on Arizona's 2001 World Series championship team.

''Randy played with fury,'' said Grace, now the Diamondbacks' assistant hitting coach. ''I couldn't play angry. I'd have been swinging at everything if I'd played angry. But he had to be that way. That's what worked for him.''

He was moody and could be short with reporters, and God forbid if some novice scribe ventured to Johnson's corner of the clubhouse the day before he was to pitch.

When he left baseball, photography was a natural outlet for Johnson. He had been a photojournalism major at USC.

''I'm not any good, I just enjoy it,'' he said. ''I really kind of look at it as a great outlet and it was a great way to go into that from baseball.''

As in baseball, ''I have a game plan of what I'm doing,'' he said.

''And I have that tunnel vision and I'm looking through that camera lens at my subject matter, `' Johnson said. ''On the day I pitched I was looking at the catcher's glove and I was extremely focused. So there's some parallels to both of those. I think It's a good release for me to do something I enjoy doing, and there's really no expectations, either.''

It's no private hobby for a man who had led such a private life away from the ballpark when he was playing.

He has a website, rj51photos.com, to exhibit his work. He's also on Instagram and plugs it in interviews.

There, you will find that majestic leopard, a piece of the ill-fated gazelle's ribcage in its mouth. There's another photo of a surfer riding a big wave. And Ozzy Osbourne riding on Johnson's back, making an obscene gesture at the camera. There are photos of wounded veterans. Johnson is a big supporter of the Wounded Warriors program and will have wounded soldiers among his guests at his Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

When he left the game, Johnson for years kept baseball at arm's length, as if to be decompressing from 22 years of professional play, a time he worked tirelessly to condition his body, hone his craft and maintain that searing inner strength.

Only in recent years has he eased back into it.

This year, as his first-ballot Hall of Fame election was announced, Johnson was hired by the Diamondbacks as a special assistant to team President Derrick Hall.

His duties include working with players in the Diamondbacks farm system, often assuring them he had many struggles before reaching the top of his profession.

''He let us know early on his greatest interest was going to our affiliates and spending time with our youngsters,'' Hall said. ''He has made some trips for us and spent time with the pitching staffs. His success and experience have been widely embraced and his influence is already being felt.''

Johnson won four consecutive Cy Young Awards, pitched a perfect game and won a World Series with the Diamondbacks, who will retire his No. 51 on Aug. 8.

First, there is business to take care of in Cooperstown.

And, yes, Johnson will take his cameras along.

''I will have the greatest vantage point of anybody, being on stage, and I would like to share these moments with anybody that's interested,'' he said. ''So I will be snapping away and taking pictures of my other three inductee brothers. And then maybe a selfie or two of me and the forty, fifty thousand people that are in the field on Hall of Fame Day.''

Tokens
Preview: Phillies (34-63) at Cubs (51-43)
Game: 1
Venue: Wrigley Field
Date: July 24, 2015 4:05 PM EDT

Jon Lester is pitching the way the Chicago Cubs hoped after signing him in the offseason, though his turn in the rotation might cost the team its hottest bat.

With Kyle Schwarber likely on the bench, Lester looks to continue his strong stretch as the host Cubs seek their fifth win in seven games Friday against the suddenly resurgent Philadelphia Phillies.

Lester had a 4.25 ERA in his first 12 starts with Chicago (51-43), but the left-hander has posted a 1.97 mark over his last seven.

Lester (5-8, 3.37 ERA) snapped a personal six-game losing streak Saturday when he allowed two singles over 7 1-3 innings with seven strikeouts in a 4-0 win at Atlanta. He took a no-hitter into the eighth after a single in the first was later changed to an error on Kris Bryant.

"I thought he did a great job of pitching to a hitter's strengths, as well as a hitter's weaknesses when he needed to," catcher David Ross said. "Whatever I asked him to do, he did it."

Ross is likely to get another start as Lester's personal backstop, leaving Schwarber out of the lineup unless manager Joe Maddon wants to take a chance on starting him in the outfield. After playing 36 minor league games there last season, the rookie hasn't played in the outfield this season.

Schwarber is 10 for 22 with two home runs in seven games since getting recalled from Triple-A Iowa.

The Cubs could certainly use his bat, ranking near the bottom of the majors with a .239 average. They earned a split of a four-game series in Cincinnati by rallying for Wednesday's 6-5 win after dropping the first game of a doubleheader 9-1.

Now Chicago looks to keep its hold on the NL's second wild-card spot as it opens a three-game set against Philadelphia (34-63). Lester has gone 4-0 with a 1.59 ERA in five career starts against the Phillies.

Ryan Howard, Jeff Francoeur and Carlos Ruiz are a combined 3 for 37 in the matchup. Howard is also just 3 for 30 with nine strikeouts over his last eight games versus Chicago.

After losing a team-record 62 games before the All-Star break, the Phillies opened the second half with a 5-1 homestand. One of baseball's lowest-scoring teams at 3.45 runs per game, Philadelphia showed some life by scoring five or more in four of the six.

'They're playing with energy and playing to win games,' interim manager Pete Mackanin said.

Ben Revere and Domonic Brown had three hits apiece in Wednesday's 5-4, 10-inning win over Tampa Bay. Revere is hitting .395 over his last 13 games, while Brown has gone 6 for 10 in his past three.

Maikel Franco is expected to return after not starting the past two due to an elbow injury. The rookie third baseman is second on the team with 10 homers and 35 RBIs.

Jerome Williams (3-7, 6.43) will make his first start since June 16 because of a hamstring injury. The right-hander, 0-5 with an 8.72 ERA in seven road starts, takes the mound for the first time at Wrigley.

Starlin Castro has gone 7 for 60 (.117) over his last 16 games, but he's hit .407 with three home runs, six doubles and 11 RBIs in 15 career home meetings with Philadelphia.

The Cubs have dropped seven of their last 10 against the Phillies at Wrigley.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Phillies at Cubs
Fri, Jul 24 - 4:05PM EDT

GAME 2
Phillies at Cubs
Sat, Jul 25 - 4:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Phillies at Cubs
Sun, Jul 26 - 2:20PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Nationals (51-43) at Pirates (55-40)
Game: 2
Venue: PNC Park
Date: July 24, 2015 7:05 PM EDT

Max Scherzer and Washington Nations fans will be able to rest easy with the knowledge that Jose Tabata won't be at PNC Park for the Pittsburgh Pirates for Friday night's matchup.

Scherzer faces the Pirates for the first time since he no-hit them last month in a contest more memorable for Tabata breaking up his perfect game by getting hit by a pitch with two outs in the ninth inning.

The right-hander retired the first 26 Pittsburgh hitters on June 20 before facing pinch-hitter Tabata, who fouled off three 2-2 pitches before the next one nicked his left elbow to stun the crowd at Nationals Park. Scherzer, who was within one strike of the 22nd perfect game in big league history since 1900, settled for the second no-hitter in team history by getting Josh Harrison to fly out and finished with 10 strikeouts.

While Scherzer (10-8, 2.09 ERA) celebrated the moment by getting doused with chocolate syrup, there was talk afterward about whether Tabata should have gotten out of the way. The Nationals certainly felt so.

"His elbow was a little bit in the strike zone. That's what I saw in the videos. But it's happened," catcher Wilson Ramos said.

Tabata was sent to the minors June 30.

Scherzer has gone 2-3 with a 3.03 ERA in five starts since the no-hitter, receiving four runs of support in the last four. He was charged with one over six innings with eight strikeouts in Sunday's 5-0 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers and Zack Greinke.

Greinke leads the majors in ERA (1.30) and road ERA (1.10), with Scherzer second in both. Scherzer is 6-3 with a 1.57 ERA in 10 road outings.

"I love facing the best," Scherzer said. "Right now, he's the best, he started the All-Star Game."

Scherzer is 4-2 with a 2.44 ERA in seven starts against the Pirates, though he is 0-2 with a 5.82 ERA in three on the road. Andrew McCutchen is 4 for 17 against him, Pedro Alvarez is 0 for 10 and Francisco Cervelli is 1 for 10.

Those three hitters homered in Thursday's 7-3 victory in the opener of this four-game set. The Pirates (55-40) went deep twice on a 1-5 trip prior to this series.

Washington (51-43) fell to 13-7 against left-handed starters after losing to Francisco Liriano, who held the Nationals hitless through four innings and finished with 11 strikeouts as Pittsburgh posted its ninth win in 10 home games.

'We need to get our game in a better place,' manager Clint Hurdle said. 'We were able to get our game in a better place tonight.'

The Nationals will face another southpaw Friday in Jeff Locke (5-6, 4.01), who has a 2.53 ERA and no record against them in two starts. No Washington hitter has more than five at-bats versus him.

Locke has a 2.58 home ERA compared to 6.57 on the road. He surrendered three runs in 7 1-3 innings in Sunday's 6-1 loss at Milwaukee.

Washington star Bryce Harper went 1 for 4 on Thursday after homering in each of his other two games against Pittsburgh this year. He's 5 for 26 at PNC Park - the only NL stadium in which he has yet to go deep.

The Pirates acquired former Pittsburgh third baseman Aramis Ramirez from Milwaukee on Thursday, though the 37-year-old is not expected to join the team until Saturday.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Nationals at Pirates
Thu, Jul 23 Final 3 to 7
Boxscores

GAME 2
Nationals at Pirates
Fri, Jul 24 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Nationals at Pirates
Sat, Jul 25 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 4
Nationals at Pirates
Sun, Jul 26 - 1:35PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Tigers (47-48) at Red Sox (42-54)
Venue: Fenway Park
Date: July 24, 2015 7:10 PM EDT

Detroit Tigers ace Justin Verlander is still searching for his first win heading into his seventh start.

His former teammate, Rick Porcello, is enduring his own woes with the league's worst ERA among qualifying pitchers while being tied for the AL lead in losses.

They'll meet Friday night when Porcello faces his former team for the first time, with his faltering Boston Red Sox returning home after an eighth straight loss.

Detroit (47-48) has dropped all six starts by Verlander (0-3, 6.62 ERA), who has allowed at least six runs in three of them. The latest poor effort was Sunday's 9-3 home loss to Baltimore in which he was shelled for seven runs over a season-low 3 2-3 innings before being booed off the field.

"It really starts with looking in the mirror at myself," the right-hander told MLB's official website. "I need to be more consistent."

While the Tigers have received nothing from the former league MVP, Porcello (5-10, 5.79) has been one of baseball's worst pitchers. It's been surprising since he entered off a season in which he set career bests with 15 wins, a 3.43 ERA and 204 2-3 innings.

That capped his six-year tenure with Detroit, where he broke in as a 20-year-old in 2009. Boston (42-54) acquired him Dec. 11 for outfielder Yoenis Cespedes and pitchers Alex Wilson and Gabe Speier.

The right-hander fell to 1-8 with a 7.20 ERA in his last 10 outings after giving up three runs in five innings in Saturday's 3-0 loss at the Los Angeles Angels. The former teammate he has faced the most is Ian Kinsler, who is 6 for 10 in this matchup.

Verlander hasn't faced the Red Sox since losing Game 3 of the 2013 ALCS. He is 3-4 with a 3.63 ERA against them in 11 regular-season outings.

David Ortiz is 10 for 27 in the regular season against him while Dustin Pedroia is 1 for 18.

Cespedes returns to Fenway Park after he batted .269 with 33 RBIs in 51 games last year for Boston, which acquired him July 31 from Oakland.

Wilson is also back as the Tigers' best reliever with a 1.94 ERA. He posted a 3.38 ERA in two seasons with the Red Sox.

He's been the exception for one of baseball's worst bullpens, which has a 4.01 ERA. Reliever Ian Krol allowed the go-ahead run in Thursday's 3-2, 12-inning home defeat to Seattle.

'I don't know if you think I have a bevy of arms down there all named Mariano Rivera," frustrated manager Brad Ausmus said. "That's not how it works.'

Detroit has dropped seven of 10. Kinsler is a bright spot, going 10 for 20 with two homers and seven runs in his last four games.

Boston is enduring its longest losing streak since Aug. 17-24. It had a 10-game skid May 15-25, 2014. Thursday's 5-4 loss to Houston capped a seven-game trip in which the Red Sox totaled 13 runs and batted .204.

Pedroia got Thursday off after going 1 for 22 since returning from the disabled list. He'll play at home for the first time since June 24.

The Red Sox will spend the night in Texas before flying home.

"We're going to come out and prepare and try to execute, try to win a ballgame," said slugger Mike Napoli, who went 3 for 4 with his first homer since June 17 to raise his average to .206.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Tigers at Red Sox
Fri, Jul 24 - 7:10PM EDT

GAME 2
Tigers at Red Sox

GAME 3
Tigers at Red Sox
Sun, Jul 26 - 8:08PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: White Sox (43-50) at Indians (45-49)
Venue: Progressive Field

Pitching far better than his record indicates, Corey Kluber is grateful anytime the Cleveland Indians can be productive at plate.

After receiving more than enough run support in his last outing, Kluber tries to win consecutive starts for the second time this season Friday night against the visiting Chicago White Sox.

In danger of perhaps becoming the AL's first 11-game loser, Kluber (5-10, 3.38 ERA) had 10 victories by this point last season when he finished 18-9 with a 2.44 ERA en route to winning the AL Cy Young Award. He received an average run support of 4.39 in 2014, but is getting only 2.74 this year.

However, Cleveland (45-49) broke out Saturday when he yielded three runs and seven hits in 7 2-3 innings of a 9-4 victory at Cincinnati. Kluber last won two straight starts May 23 and 28.

"Just to let Kluber have a game where he had a little bit of a lead, that was really good," manager Terry Francona told MLB's official website. "It's a nice way to play a game. It's a formula for winning."

Kluber has never called out his teammates for their offensive shortcomings, but certainly welcomed pitching with a 6-1 lead after 2 1/2 innings last weekend.

"When you have that cushion, you can kind of get away with some stuff, because you don't have to worry about being quite as fine," said Kluber, 5-5 with a 2.62 ERA in his last 13 starts. "You can just go out there and attack guys."

The Indians totaled one run while Kluber went 0-1 with a 4.20 ERA and struck out 18 in two road losses against Chicago (43-50) this season. He's 2-0 with a 2.40 ERA in his last two home starts versus the White Sox.

Melky Cabrera, 7 for 15 with a double and a triple against Kluber, homered twice in Chicago's 8-1 series-opening rout Thursday. Cabrera is batting .333 with six RBIs in the last five games.

After being held to one or two runs five times while losing six of the previous seven, the White Sox hit a season-high four homers Thursday. Jose Abreu did not homer, but singled to extend his hitting streak against the Indians to 11 games.

Run support has been an even bigger problem for Chicago's Jose Quintana (4-9, 3.83), who has been backed with a league-low 2.63 per game. His teammates have scored five runs while he's gone 1-1 with a 1.38 ERA against Cleveland in 2015.

The left-hander, however, looks for a better effort after his string of nine straight quality starts ended Saturday when he allowed four runs and 10 hits in 5 1-3 innings of a 7-6, 13-inning loss to Kansas City.

"It's too hard for me when you want to go and get the quality start for the team," he said. "I'll keep going for the next one."

Michael Bourn is 2 for his last 14 with six strikeouts against Quintana, but he and rookie Francisco Lindor combined for half of the four hits Cleveland managed against Jeff Samardzija and the White Sox on Thursday.

Lindor is batting .391 (9 for 23) with three RBIs in the last five contests for the Indians, who have totaled five runs and hit .152 during a three-game home slide.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
White Sox at Indians
Thu, Jul 23 Final 8 to 1
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
White Sox at Indians

GAME 3
White Sox at Indians
Sat, Jul 25 - 7:10PM EDT

GAME 4
White Sox at Indians
Sun, Jul 26 - 1:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Dodgers (55-42) at Mets (49-47)
Venue: Citi Field

Most teams might breathe a sigh of relief upon facing a pitcher in his first career start.

For the anemic New York Mets, though, it could be another massive hurdle.

The Los Angeles Dodgers will send Ian Thomas to the mound as an emergency replacement against New York at Citi Field on Friday night.

The Mets (49-47) would appear to be catching a break by missing Zack Greinke, but that may not be the case considering how bad they've been offensively. Greinke, the owner of a 43 2-3 scoreless inning streak, was originally slated to make this start but he has flown back to Los Angeles to be with his wife as the couple expects the birth of their first child.

New York likely won't get out of the weekend without seeing Greinke, though.

"To get back to pitch tomorrow would be, I'd say, unrealistic, but we do feel like there's a good chance he'd pitch this weekend," Los Angeles manager Don Mattingly said.

Clayton Kershaw cruised through the Mets' lineup Thursday night, flirting with a perfect game before ultimately striking out 11 in a three-hit, 3-0 victory.

"The way we're swinging the bats, we were overmatched," manager Terry Collins said.

New York is 10 for 71 (.141) with runners in scoring position while going 2-5 since the All-Star break, scoring three runs or fewer six times. Curtis Granderson and Ruben Tejada are the only players hitting above .235 while playing in at least six games in that stretch, while Lucas Duda, second on the team with 38 RBIs, is 5 for 27 (.185) with eight strikeouts. Duda has homered three times in his last 45 games after hitting nine through his first 48.

Like Kershaw, Thomas (0-1, 5.23 ERA) is also left-handed, and the Mets are even worse against southpaws, hitting a major league-worst .216 on the season and .161 since June 17.

Not helping New York's cause is the continued absence of Michael Cuddyer, who wasn't in the lineup for the 12th time in 19 games due to a knee injury. He was re-examined by doctors and given a new medication, and the club is hopeful he'll avoid the disabled list.

Thomas will be the 13th starting pitcher used by Los Angeles this season. Thomas has made two relief appearances for the Dodgers while bouncing between Triple-A Oklahoma City and the big league club since being acquired from Atlanta in the Juan Uribe deal on May 27. Most recently he threw two scoreless innings against Philadelphia on July 7, but gave up four runs over three innings in a 6-3 loss at Colorado on June 2 in his team debut.

He went 2-1 with a 5.55 ERA five minor league starts for Oklahoma City this year.

Los Angeles (55-42) hasn't exactly been prolific offensively of late either, scoring fewer than five runs in eight of its last 10 games. Adrian Gonzalez continues to heat up, however, going 3 for 4 Thursday and is 13 for 28 since the break. He was 7 for 44 (.159) in his final 13 contests before the All-Star Game.

Jonathon Niese's name has come up as a potential trade deadline target for the Dodgers, but the left-hander will be working against them Friday. Niese (5-8, 3.36) is 2-0 with a 1.21 ERA in his last three starts and 2-1 with a 3.79 ERA in six career meetings with Los Angeles.

The Dodgers have won nine of 11 at Citi Field.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Dodgers at Mets
Thu, Jul 23 Final 3 to 0
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Dodgers at Mets

GAME 3
Dodgers at Mets

GAME 4
Dodgers at Mets

Tokens
Preview: Orioles (46-48) at Rays (48-49)
Venue: Tropicana Field

Chris Tillman was having a nightmare season through May, racking up seven losses and an ERA that refused to dip much below six. It took another eight starts, but he finally has his ERA under five and his record evened.

The Baltimore Orioles right-hander enters Friday night's series opener at Tampa Bay as the hotter pitcher in a matchup with the Rays' Chris Archer while both teams continue to slide in the AL East.

Tillman (7-7, 4.96 ERA) was 2-7 with a 5.94 ERA through his first 10 starts, but he's since gone 5-0 with a 3.80 ERA after picking up his latest victory in Saturday's 3-0 win at Detroit. He limited the Tigers to a hit with eight strikeouts in eight innings for his best start of the season - a form his manager expected to resurface all along.

"A little reminder, Chris was one of the best pitchers last year in the American League," Buck Showalter told MLB's official website. "It's one of the best offensive teams in the league, maybe in baseball. So that makes it doubly impressive."

He faced the Rays three times during his dark months this season and lost the last two, but Tillman is 2-3 with a 2.95 ERA in seven career starts at Tropicana Field. Kevin Kiermaier (1 for 12) and James Loney (4 for 27) have struggled against Tillman, but Evan Longoria is 15 for 40 with six home runs, three doubles and a 1.344 OPS.

Archer (9-7, 2.73), who has flipped rotation spots with Erasmo Ramirez to work on regular rest, suffered his third loss in a four-start winless stretch in Sunday's 4-0 defeat in Toronto after surrendering two runs and five hits in seven innings.

"Pitch execution," Archer said. "I had a pretty good feel with everything. The time off (for the All-Star beak) was nice. I was able to rejuvenate. I executed pitches, my body felt pretty fresh."

It was a huge improvement over a 9-7 defeat in Kansas City on July 8 in which the right-hander gave up a career-high nine runs, but the Rays are still waiting on him to return to his dominant self.

That hasn't happened this year against Baltimore with two losses dropping him to 1-4 with a 5.65 ERA in six career starts in the series. Chris Davis (3 for 8) and Caleb Joseph (2 for 4) have both homered off Archer, but Adam Jones is 2 for 17.

Davis homered for a second straight game Thursday, but the lineup was held to four hits for a second straight game and wasn't able to keep up with the New York Yankees in a 9-3 loss. The Orioles (46-48) have dropped three straight and 14 of 19 while batting .225 to fall seven back in the East, while the Rays (48-49) are a half game ahead of that.

Baltimore has won five of nine in the season series, including taking two of three in both sets played at Tampa Bay.

The Rays also dropped four of six in Philadelphia and Toronto, including Wednesday's 5-4 loss to the Phillies before an off day Thursday. The trip dropped them to 8-19 dating to June 21 with one series victory. Longoria is in a 2-for-28 slump, is 2 for his last 20 at home and his .262 average is at its lowest since April 24.

"Kind of a little bit of a gut check for all of us," manager Kevin Cash said. "Myself included. If 24 hours off helps evaluate that, then so be it. But we need to kind of flip a switch here now."

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Orioles at Rays

GAME 2
Orioles at Rays
Sat, Jul 25 - 6:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Orioles at Rays

Tokens
Preview: Astros (54-43) at Royals (57-37)
Venue: Ewing M. Kauffman Stadium
Date: July 24, 2015 8:10 PM EDT

Three years ago Scott Kazmir wondered if he'd ever return to the majors. Now, he has a chance to help his hometown team return to the postseason for the first time in a decade.

The Houston native makes his debut for the visiting Astros on Friday night when they look for a fifth straight victory and continued success over the AL-leading Kansas City Royals.

After spending the 2012 season with independent Sugar Land, Kazmir (5-5, 2.38 ERA) won 25 games the next two seasons with Cleveland and Oakland. Among the majors' ERA leaders, the 31-year-old Kazmir joined his fifth team Thursday after the Athletics dealt him to Houston (54-43) for catching prospect Jacob Nottingham and right-hander Daniel Mengden.

'I'm really happy,' Astros manager A.J. Hinch said prior to Thursday's 5-4 win over Boston. 'I feel like we got better. We were able to get one of the best pitchers that has been rumored to be available and join our team in Kansas City. ... That's a big boost.'

Though Kazmir admitted he was taken back by the move, he's excited to return home where he starred for Cypress Falls High School.

'It's been crazy, to be honest with you,' the left-hander said. 'Playing independent ball and I'm thinking I would never be able to play professionally. And now I'm going back to my hometown and going to play for the Astros.

"It's a complete whirlwind, but I'm excited for the opportunity.'

While the Astros are one game behind the first-place Los Angeles Angels in the AL West, they lead the wild-card race and have won five of six after heading into the All-Star break on a six-game skid. With Kazmir and All-Star Dallas Keuchel atop the rotation, Houston should feel confident going forward.

'Taking (Kazmir) out of the equation as somebody on the other side and putting him on our team I think is really going to help us," Houston general manager Jeff Luhnow said.

Kazmir is 3-1 with a 1.35 ERA in his last seven starts, and has yielded one earned run over 19 1-3 innings while going 1-0 in three this month. He's 0-1 with a 3.14 ERA in two starts against Kansas City (57-37) this season.

After a three-game home sweep of the Royals earlier this season, Houston has outscored them 37-11 during a six-game winning streak.

Omar Infante and Eric Hosmer are batting a combined .422 (19 for 45) against Kazmir. They were 3 for 8 during Thursday's 4-3 loss at St. Louis - the Royals' fourth in the last 16 games.

Alex Rios is 4 for his last 12 against Kazmir, and hitting .419 (18 for 43) in his last 12 contests.

"I'm focusing on seeing the ball and getting a good pitch to hit, and putting a good swing on it," he said.

The Royals have won the last four starts by Jeremy Guthrie (7-5, 5.36), who is 2-0 with a 3.70 ERA in those outings. However, the right-hander hopes to be more efficient after he gave up three runs and nine hits in five innings of Saturday's 7-6, 13-inning victory over the Chicago White Sox.

Guthrie is 2-2 with a 4.62 ERA in six starts against Houston.

Hank Conger is 2 for his last 13, but 4 for 6 with a home run when facing Guthrie.

After delivering a tiebreaking solo homer in the bottom of ninth for his fourth hit Thursday, Jose Altuve is batting .414 (12 for 29) with six RBIs during a seven-game hitting streak. He's hit safely in eight consecutive games against the Royals.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Astros at Royals
Fri, Jul 24 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 2
Astros at Royals

GAME 3
Astros at Royals
Sun, Jul 26 - 2:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Yankees (53-41) at Twins (51-44)
Venue: Target Field
Date: July 24, 2015 8:10 PM EDT

The New York Yankees have swung the bat well in the Bronx all season, but they've been rather inconsistent at the plate away from home.

The AL East leaders look to change that as they seek a fifth straight victory in the opener of a season high-tying 10-game road trip Friday night against the Minnesota Twins.

New York (53-41) is on the verge of going 13 games over .500 for the first time since finishing 95-67 in 2012 after completing a 5-1 homestand. Jacoby Ellsbury homered and drove in four runs and Chase Headley hit a three-run double in Thursday's 9-3 win over Baltimore, the Yankees' ninth in 11 tries.

Didi Gregorius and John Ryan Murphy had three hits apiece as the Nos. 6-9 batters combined for nine of the Yankees' 13 hits. Brett Gardner, Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira, who went 9 for 16 with two homers and four doubles over his previous four, were 0 for 11 with five strikeouts.

'We've got a deep lineup,' Headley said. 'Obviously the guys in the middle have been tremendous, and the guys in the beginning have been tremendous as well. But there's a lot of guys throughout the lineup that can do damage.'

The Yankees have one of the best home averages in the majors at .272, but their .237 mark on the road ranks near the bottom. Teixeira is 4 for 38 (.105) in his last 11 road games, and Rodriguez is hitting .237 on the road compared to .306 at home.

New York won three of its last four road games heading into the All-Star break, though, including when Michael Pineda (9-6, 3.77 ERA) gave up one run in 6 2-3 innings of a 5-1 victory over Boston on July 10.

That completed a three-start stretch during which Pineda went 1-1 with a 1.25 ERA before he allowed four runs in six innings of a 4-3 home loss to Seattle on Saturday on seven days' rest.

"He's a guy that likes to work," Girardi said. "He's a guy that, I said, when you have these long layoffs, you worry. But, in the long run, I think it helps. In the short term, you worry a little bit."

The right-hander is 1-0 with a 1.64 ERA in two starts against the Twins, both coming in 2011. Pineda's 7.53 strikeout-to-walk ratio leads the AL, with Phil Hughes ranking third at 6.00 after walking three in 41 innings and going 4-0 with a 2.85 ERA over his last six starts.

Hughes (8-6, 4.15) has allowed eight of his AL-most 23 homers during that stretch, but the solo shot he surrendered Saturday was the only run he allowed over seven innings before the Twins fell 3-2 to Oakland in 10.

The right-hander, who pitched seven seasons for the Yankees before signing with the Twins prior to last year, gave up two homers and seven runs in 6 1-3 innings of a 7-4 loss the last time he faced his former team July 3, 2014.

The Twins look to provide Hughes with some run support in their return home from a six-game trip. Minnesota (51-44) scored five times during a four-game losing streak before Trevor Plouffe's three-run homer accounted for all the scoring in Thursday's shutout of the Los Angeles Angels.

Minnesota, hitting .279 at home on the season, has outscored opponents 64-33 while winning eight of 10 at Target Field.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Yankees at Twins
Fri, Jul 24 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 2
Yankees at Twins

GAME 3
Yankees at Twins
Sun, Jul 26 - 2:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Braves (45-50) at Cardinals (61-34)
Venue: Busch Stadium
Date: July 24, 2015 8:15 PM EDT

Jason Heyward never quite lived up to the hype bestowed upon him when he joined the Atlanta Braves at the age of 20 after being hailed by none other than Hank Aaron as the club's next star.

Heyward will face his former team for the first time Friday night when his St. Louis Cardinals seek to hand the Braves a sixth straight road loss.

The slugger was a homegrown player named to the NL All-Star team as a rookie with Atlanta (45-50) in 2010. He homered in his first big league at-bat and was part of Braves teams that reached the playoffs three times in his five seasons with the club.

Heyward, however, had four stints on the disabled list during his Braves tenure and hasn't fared well since he finished with career highs of 27 homers and 82 RBIs in 2012. New general manager John Hart traded him to St. Louis on Nov. 17 along with reliever Jordan Walden for starter Shelby Miller and a minor-leaguer.

With Heyward due $7.8 million in the final season of a two-year contract, Atlanta was concerned he would leave as a free agent after 2015. Hart said it was 'very difficult to trade Jason Heyward.'

Heyward is batting .284 with nine homers and 33 RBIs for St. Louis, which has won five of six.

The Cardinals (61-34) began this 11-game homestand with Thursday's 4-3 win over AL-best Kansas City in a makeup game. They improved to 34-12 at home ahead of this three-game set, and have taken five of their last seven at Busch Stadium against the Braves.

Matt Carpenter and Randal Grichuk drilled two-run homers Thursday while Matt Holliday reached base all four times with a double and three walks.

"We'll take those two-run homers all day long," manager Mike Matheny said.

Closer Trevor Rosenthal may not be available Friday after pitching for the third straight night and earning his 30th save to tie Pittsburgh's Mark Melancon for the major league lead. Matheny said relievers Sam Tuivailala and Kevin Siegrist weren't available Thursday.

Atlanta starts a 10-game trip seeking to avoid matching its longest road slide of the season from June 16-27. The Braves fell 3-1 to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday and have averaged 3.0 runs while dropping eight of 11.

These teams have yet to face each other and both start rookie left-handers who will be seeing a new opponent when the Cardinals' Tim Cooney (0-0, 3.33 ERA) opposes Manny Banuelos.

Cooney pitched 5 2-3 scoreless innings with season highs of seven strikeouts, four walks and 102 pitches in Sunday's 3-1, 18-inning loss to the New York Mets. Left-handed hitters are 5 for 16 against him in his five starts compared to a .234 mark for righties.

Banuelos (1-1, 1.08) will make his fourth start after yielding two runs in 4 2-3 innings in Saturday's 4-0 defeat to the Chicago Cubs. Lefties are 3 for 10 against him compared to righties batting .196.

St. Louis is 11-13 against lefty starters and bats .230 against southpaws. Atlanta is 7-9 and bats .233.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Braves at Cardinals
Fri, Jul 24 - 8:15PM EDT

GAME 2
Braves at Cardinals
Sat, Jul 25 - 7:15PM EDT

GAME 3
Braves at Cardinals
Sun, Jul 26 - 2:15PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Reds (42-51) at Rockies (40-53)
Venue: Coors Field
Date: July 24, 2015 8:40 PM EDT

Although they have a number of hot hitters at home, the Colorado Rockies' struggles on the mound are keeping them from climbing out of the NL West cellar.

The Cincinnati Reds are close to falling into last in the Central after a frustrating home series.

While Nolan Arenado looks to keep battering Cincinnati pitching in Friday night's series opener, red-hot Joey Votto will try to help the Reds put an end to their woes at Coors Field.

Arenado went 5 for 11 with two home runs and six RBIs as the Rockies (40-53) took two of three in Cincinnati from May 25-27. He's hitting .375 with four homers in his last 14 games against the Reds.

The All-Star is batting .358 with six home runs in his last 20 games at Coors, while Charlie Blackmon is hitting a baseball-best .414 there since June 3. Arenado (18), Troy Tulowitzki (16), Carlos Gonzalez (15) and Blackmon (14) make up four of the NL's top six in RBIs at home since June 8.

Despite that production, the Rockies are looking to avoid their fifth loss in six games since the All-Star break. They allowed 26 runs and 37 hits over the last three versus visiting Texas.

"We need to be able to play defense. We need to pitch. We need to hit. We're not doing any of that very well," Arenado told MLB's official website.

The Reds split a four-game series with the Chicago Cubs, coughing up leads in Tuesday's 5-4, 13-inning loss and Wednesday's 6-5 defeat in the nightcap of a doubleheader.

Votto is 14 for 26 since the break, but he's 5 for 45 (.111) in his last 12 against the Rockies.

Cincinnati (42-51), which has lost six of nine, has a slim lead on last-place Milwaukee heading into a series at Coors. The Reds have posted a 6.33 ERA while dropping 30 of 42 in Denver.

Anthony DeSclafani (5-7, 3.99 ERA) has been roughed up in his last two home starts, allowing 12 runs and 19 hits in 11 2-3 innings. The rookie right-hander owns a 5.69 ERA in nine outings at Great American Ball Park but a 2.53 mark over his nine on the road as he gets ready for his first outing at Coors.

"If we are talking two years from now, then we can look at the splits, but right now I just think it's coincidence," manager Bryan Price said.

Eddie Butler (3-6, 4.80) hopes to build on his promising return to the Rockies after he gave up two hits over four innings Sunday versus San Diego before rain postponed the game.

The right-hander had been sent to Triple-A Albuquerque after allowing season highs of six runs and 11 hits over 5 1-3 innings in a 6-2 home loss to Miami on June 5. He's posted a 6.59 ERA while dropping his last three starts at Coors.

In his only meeting with Cincinnati, Butler did not factor in a 5-4 road win after yielding four runs over six innings in May. Marlon Byrd had a home run and a double off him while Home Run Derby champion Todd Frazier hit a two-run shot.

Byrd, however, is hitting just .225 in 18 career games at Coors and Frazier has gone 3 for 28 over his seven contests there.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Reds at Rockies
Fri, Jul 24 - 8:40PM EDT

GAME 2
Reds at Rockies
Sat, Jul 25 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Reds at Rockies
Sun, Jul 26 - 4:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Brewers (42-54) at Diamondbacks (44-50)
Venue: Chase Field
Date: July 24, 2015 9:40 PM EDT

While the Milwaukee Brewers have already dealt one of their top veterans, the Arizona Diamondbacks need to get hot in a hurry to perhaps avoid doing some of the same.

The Diamondbacks look to win consecutive games for the first time in a little more than two weeks Friday night against the visiting Brewers.

Zack Godley struck out seven without a walk in six innings of his major league debut and A.J. Pollock had three hits with two RBIs in Thursday's 8-3 win over Milwaukee (42-54). It was the second straight defeat following a 14-4 stretch for the Brewers, who hours earlier sent third baseman Aramis Ramirez to Pittsburgh for minor league pitcher Yhonathan Barrios.

"I'm so sorry to see Aramis go, and we've been playing well lately and he's been a big part of it," Milwaukee manager Craig Counsell said.

While reliever Brad Ziegler and versatile infielder Cliff Pennington are rumored to have drawn interest from other teams, it's uncertain who Arizona (44-50) is looking to unload, if anybody, before next Friday's trade deadline.

The Diamondbacks have won twice in 10 games and haven't recorded two straight victories since July 7-8. They're 9 1/2 games behind the first-place Los Angeles Dodgers in the NL West and seven out of the final wild-card spot.

Arizona's Patrick Corbin (1-2, 4.80 ERA) has completed five innings in each of his three starts since returning July 4 from elbow surgery. The left-hander gave up two runs and struck out five during a 2-1 loss to San Francisco on Sunday.

"A couple of bad pitches there,' Corbin said. 'I was able to go out there and be a little more aggressive and got into a rhythm.'

He last faced the Brewers in 2013 when he went 2-0 with a 2.13 ERA against them.

Milwaukee counters with Jimmy Nelson (7-9, 4.21), who has a 3.09 ERA while winning four of his last five starts. He yielded three of his four runs in the first inning of the 6 1-3 he went during Saturday's 8-5 win over Pittsburgh.

The right-hander has a 9.00 ERA in the first inning this season but a 3.36 mark afterward.

"I feel like I'm a broken record with the runs in the first," Nelson told MLB's official website. "I just try to keep a level head about it and give us a chance."

He gave up a run in the first and three over the next five he lasted while striking out eight overall without a walk before leaving without a decision in a 7-5 loss to Arizona on May 29.

Paul Goldschmidt doubled twice in three at-bats against Nelson in that contest. Leading the NL in batting average (.344) and the majors in RBIs (73), Goldschmidt has hit .431 with 27 RBIs in 27 regular season and playoff games against the Brewers.

Also the subject of trade rumors, ex-Diamondback Gerardo Parra is batting .419 in 17 games this month. Parra was hit in the knee by a pitch in the sixth but appears to be fine after remaining in the game.

Despite going 0 for 3 in the opener, teammate Jean Segura is batting .397 in 16 July contests. He's 5 for 6 with a double against Corbin.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Brewers at Diamondbacks
Thu, Jul 23 Final 3 to 8
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Brewers at Diamondbacks
Fri, Jul 24 - 9:40PM EDT

GAME 3
Brewers at Diamondbacks
Sat, Jul 25 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 4
Brewers at Diamondbacks
Sun, Jul 26 - 4:10PM ED

Tokens
Preview: Rangers (45-49) at Angels (54-41)
Venue: Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Date: July 24, 2015 10:05 PM EDT

Josh Hamilton worried about the reception he'd receive when he returned to Arlington after signing a $125 million contract to join the Los Angeles Angels.

Despite a self-admitted relapse that led to a tense breakup culminating with him being traded back to the Texas Rangers, Hamilton says he has no anxiety over how the fans will treat him in his return to Anaheim on Friday night.

Hamilton won the 2010 AL MVP when he helped guide the Rangers to the first of back-to-back World Series appearances. After Texas lost the wild-card game in 2012, he bolted for a five-year contract with the Angels and hit .255 in two disappointing seasons.

He avoided suspension following a relapse with drugs and alcohol in February, but Angels owner Arte Moreno was determined to rid the club of Hamilton's contract before he could return from offseason shoulder surgery.

Hamilton is hitting .237 with three homers in 21 games since the Rangers (45-49) re-acquired him April 27 for future considerations, with the Angels paying a huge portion of the money remaining on Hamilton's deal.

He doubled and struck out twice in his only game against Los Angeles on July 3, an 8-2 loss in Arlington.

"I don't hold grudges or sit and think about what kind of bad relationships or bad experiences I have had," Hamilton told MLB's official website. "When I was there, I tried to do everything I could to be the player they expected me to be. Once I'm not there, I'm done with it. I have a lot of other things to think about."

The Angels (54-41) don't seem to miss Hamilton, either. They sit atop the AL West and had won seven in a row before losing 3-0 to Minnesota on Thursday.

Los Angeles has won seven of the nine meetings with the Rangers, beating Colby Lewis (9-4, 4.63 ERA) twice.

Lewis has lost his last six starts against the Angels with an 11.35 ERA, giving up at least seven earned runs three times. He allowed 10 runs and 12 hits - including a homer to Albert Pujols - in four innings of a 12-6 loss July 5.

The right-hander has been solid since that outing, giving up three runs over seven innings in the Rangers' 6-5 loss to San Diego on July 11 and allowing two runs in 7 1-3 of Saturday's 7-6 win at Houston.

Pujols is 9 for 20 with three homers, Kole Calhoun is 9 for 19 with a home run, triple and two doubles, and Mike Trout is 9 for 24 with two homers and two triples off Lewis, who looks to help the Rangers win their third straight.

Elvis Andrus hit a two-run single in the ninth to give Texas a 10-8 win over Colorado on Wednesday. Rougned Odor went 3 for 4 with a homer and finished 12 for 28 with seven extra-base hits during the Rangers' six-game road trip.

Monday's doubleheader sweep of Boston put a wrinkle in the Angels' rotation, giving Nick Tropeano a chance to make his first start since his season debut April 23. He allowed five hits in six innings of a 2-0 win over Oakland before being sent back to Triple-A Salt Lake City the following day.

The right-hander went 1-2 with a 2.63 ERA in five minor league starts after returning from shoulder fatigue that kept him out a month.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Rangers at Angels
Fri, Jul 24 - 10:05PM EDT

GAME 2
Rangers at Angels
Sat, Jul 25 - 9:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Rangers at Angels
Sun, Jul 26 - 3:35PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Blue Jays (49-48) at Mariners (44-52)
Venue: Safeco Field
Date: July 24, 2015 10:10 PM EDT

The Toronto Blue Jays own baseball's highest-scoring offense in four years, but they figure to be in for a challenge against one of the game's elite pitchers.

Felix Hernandez looks to get the better of Toronto for the second time this season Friday night when he takes the mound for the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field.

The Blue Jays (49-48) are three games behind Minnesota for the AL's second wild-card spot and have won three of four following Thursday's 5-2 victory at Oakland. Russell Martin homered and finished 7 for 11 with two home runs in the three-game series.

In his 10th season, Martin's .822 OPS is the third-highest of his career.

"I kind of backed off the plate and when I get off the plate it kind of gets me locked into staying on the ball better," he told MLB's official website.

Toronto's 5.3 runs per game would be the highest average for a full season since 2011.

Hernandez (11-5, 2.77 ERA) held the Blue Jays in check May 22, yielding one run over seven innings with eight strikeouts in a 4-3 win. He's been wildly inconsistent throughout his career against Toronto, though, particularly since 2009, going 4-5 with a 5.26 ERA in 10 matchups. He has three quality starts in the last five but gave up 10 earned runs over 9 2-3 innings in the other two.

The right-hander owns a 1.55 ERA without giving up a home run over six starts since being hammered for eight runs in one-third of an inning at Houston on June 12. He limited the New York Yankees to one run over six innings Sunday but didn't record a decision in a 2-1 defeat.

"I'm not happy, because we lost," he said. "But everything was working pretty good today."

Despite his dominance over his last six starts, he's gone 2-2 while receiving nine runs of support in 40 2-3 innings. Hernandez's 3.21 run-support average is his lowest since a 3.10 mark in 2010.

Run support hasn't been an issue for Toronto's Drew Hutchison (9-2, 5.19), whose 7.88 average is the majors' highest. The Blue Jays have backed him with an average of 9.77 runs on the road, though he's 2-1 with an 8.81 ERA in those 10 outings.

The right-hander lost his only previous matchup with Seattle, giving up six runs over 5 2-3 innings in an 11-1 road defeat Aug. 11.

Hutchison is expected to get the ball after being scratched from Thursday's start due to a bout with the flu.

"He came in and played catch," manager John Gibbons said. "He's feeling much better so hopefully he'll be good to go. If not, definitely Saturday he should be good."

If Hutchison can't pitch, Gibbons will start right-hander Marco Estrada (7-5, 3.22), who is 3-2 with a 1.67 ERA in his last six games.

The Mariners (44-52) split a four-game series in Detroit after they won 3-2 in 12 innings Thursday on Mike Zunino's double.

Toronto shortstop Jose Reyes is expected to play after leaving in the eighth inning Thursday after being hit in the face by a bouncing ball while covering second for a tag attempt. Reyes is 4 for 8 with a homer off Hernandez.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Blue Jays at Mariners
Fri, Jul 24 - 10:10PM EDT

GAME 2
Blue Jays at Mariners
Sat, Jul 25 - 4:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Blue Jays at Mariners

Tokens
Preview: Marlins (41-55) at Padres (44-52)
Venue: PETCO Park
Date: July 24, 2015 10:10 PM EDT

The San Diego Padres still have an outside shot to reach the playoffs for the first time in nine years - but they can't afford many more offensive slumps like the current one they're in.

They look to avoid their fifth four-game losing streak of the season Friday night when they host the Miami Marlins.

San Diego (44-52) won three in a row after the All-Star break, but has since scored four runs with 13 hits during a three-game skid. Jedd Gyorko and Yangervis Solarte are each 1 for 11 in that span and the Padres were shut out for the major league-leading 14th time in Thursday's 4-0 loss to open this four-game series.

The 19 shutouts against San Diego in 2014 were tied with Seattle for the most in baseball, but the Padres, eight games behind the Chicago Cubs for the NL's second wild-card spot, are on pace for 23 this year.

Miami (41-55) is seeking its first four-game road winning streak since July 24-Aug. 5 of last year when it won five straight. Tom Koehler and two relievers combined to allow just three hits Thursday in Miami's second shutout in three games. The team had blanked just two opponents in its previous 32 contests.

Christian Yelich went 2 for 3 and is 13 for 34 over his last nine games, while J.T. Realmuto is 11 for 32 with eight RBIs in his last eight after going 2 for 4 and driving in a run.

Both pitchers could be making their last starts for their respective teams, as their names have come up in trade speculation ahead of next week's deadline.

Miami's Dan Haren (7-5, 3.46 ERA) is looking to bounce back from a shoddy outing at Philadelphia, giving up five runs and two homers over six innings in an 8-7 loss on Sunday against one of the majors' worst offenses, though he was battling 93-degree heat at first pitch The two home runs matched what he had allowed over 30 innings in his previous five games.

He's won just once in his last eight games, averaging 3.5 runs of support after getting 6.1 during a 6-2 start.

Haren is 7-5 with a 3.48 ERA in 20 career games against the Padres and was mostly successful in five meetings last season, going 2-1 with a 2.20 ERA.

Andrew Cashner (3-10, 4.10) hasn't pitched since July 8 after getting rained out Sunday against Colorado. His 10 losses are already a career high and he's 1-3 with a 5.59 ERA in his last eight outings,

He's 1-1 with a 1.86 ERA in three starts against Miami.

Justin Upton missed a fourth straight start Thursday due to a strained side muscle and struck out as a pinch hitter in the ninth inning. Manager Pat Murphy was optimistic, however.

"Justin is taking well to treatment," he told MLB's official website. "We're hopeful. He felt a lot better than when he got here today."

Two of San Diego's three hits Thursday were by Alexi Amarista. A .232 career hitter, Amarista is 7 for 17 with five RBIs in his last six games against the Marlins, and he's 5 for 11 with a homer and two doubles off Haren.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Marlins at Padres
Thu, Jul 23 Final 4 to 0
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Marlins at Padres
Fri, Jul 24 - 10:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Marlins at Padres
Sat, Jul 25 - 8:40PM EDT

GAME 4
Marlins at Padres

Tokens
Preview: Athletics (44-53) at Giants (51-44)
Venue: AT&T Park
Date: July 24, 2015 10:15 PM EDT

General manager Billy Beane set aside his "Moneyball" tactics before last season's trade deadline and reshaped the rotation in a futile attempt to bring the Oakland Athletics a championship.

Now Beane is back to selling off potential rentals rather than acquiring them as Oakland sits in the AL West basement.

One day after dealing free-agent-to-be Scott Kazmir, the A's send Jesse Chavez to the mound in Friday night's opener of a three-game series with the San Francisco Giants across the bay.

Beane traded top prospect Addison Russell to get starters Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel from the Chicago Cubs on July 4 of last year before dealing slugger Yoenis Cespedes to Boston for Jon Lester at the July 31 deadline.

Those moves were made to build a feared rotation for a deep postseason run, but instead Oakland slipped into the second wild-card spot, lost to eventual AL champion Kansas City and watched the Giants win their third World Series in five seasons.

Now the A's (44-53) are 11 games behind the division-leading Los Angeles Angels, and Beane again has his sights on the future. Kazmir was slated to start Thursday's 5-2 loss to Toronto, but Beane dealt him to Houston earlier in the day for highly touted catcher Jacob Nottingham and minor league pitcher Daniel Mengden.

More moves could be coming soon, too.

'We have to be realistic with where we are,' Beane said. 'The math doesn't necessarily work in our favor given the level of play we need just to get back in (the playoff race).'

Oakland had won five of seven before Thursday. Brett Lawrie, who came over from the Blue Jays in the offseason trade for MVP candidate Josh Donaldson, went hitless and is batting .152 over his last 10.

Chavez (5-9, 3.21 ERA) went 1-3 with a 6.55 ERA in his last four starts before the All-Star break, then allowed three hits and struck out nine in six scoreless innings of Sunday's 14-1 win over Minnesota.

The right-hander had a similarly solid outing in his only start against San Francisco, allowing four hits and striking out nine in six innings of a 5-0 victory July 7, 2014.

Oakland has won seven of the last nine meetings with the Giants (51-44), who have been hot lately while getting plenty of help from Buster Posey.

The 2012 NL MVP is 16 for 34 during an eight-game hitting streak after hitting a go-ahead two-run double in the seventh inning of Wednesday's 7-1 win over San Diego.

San Francisco has outscored opponents 61-27 while winning eight of nine. Posey is batting .416 with 25 RBIs while hitting safely in 19 of his last 20, increasing his average from .287 to .318.

"I'm not trying to do too much," Posey told MLB's official website. "You have to adjust to how you feel each day or night."

Jake Peavy (1-4, 4.94) has been taking a simple approach as well since spending 2 1/2 months on the disabled list with a back strain. Peavy has gone 1-2 with a 3.20 ERA in three starts since returning after overcoming eight hits and four runs allowed - including a pair of homers - in 6 1-3 innings of Saturday's 8-4 win over Arizona.

'It's nice to get (the injury) behind you,' Peavy said. 'These last three outings are something to build on.'

The right-hander was with Boston on June 19, 2014, when he last faced the A's, allowing four runs in 6 1-3 innings of a 4-2 loss.

Billy Butler is 14 for 33 with three homers and a double off Peavy.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Athletics at Giants
Fri, Jul 24 - 10:15PM EDT

GAME 2
Athletics at Giants

GAME 3
Athletics at Giants
Sun, Jul 26 - 4:05PM EDT

Tokens
MLB
Armadillo's Write-Up

Friday, July 24

National League
Phillies @ Cubs
Williams is 0-4, 8.67 in his last six starts; five of his last seven went over- this is his first start since June 16 (hamstring).

Lester is 1-2, 2.22 in his last four starts; under is 7-0-1 in his last eight- Cubs scored seven runs total in his last five starts.

Philly lost three of last four games with Chicago; five of last seven games in series stayed under total. Phils won five of last six games overall. Cubs won four of last six games, with last three going over the total.

Nationals @ Pirates
Scherzer is 1-3, 3.25 in his last four starts; seven of his last eight went under the total. Nationals scored four runs in his last four starts.

Locke is 1-3, 2.84 in his last four starts; six of his last seven stayed under.

Washington won seven of last eight games with Pittsburgh; home side won ten of last 11 series games. Nationals are 5-4 in last eight games; over is 3-0-1 in their last four games. Pirates lost five of last seven games, three of their last five stayed under the total.

Dodgers @ Mets
Thomas subs for Greinke (maternity leave) he is making first MLB start, but has allowed four runs in five IP in two relief stints this year. Only five of his 17 appearances in AAA this year were starts.

Niese is 2-1, 1.53 in his last five starts; five of his last six stayed under.

Dodgers won three of last four games at Citi Field; over is 8-2-1 in last eleven series games. LA won four of last six games; under is 15-4-1 in their last 20 road games. Mets lost five of last seven games; over is 3-2-1 in last six.

Braves @ Cardinals
Banuelos is 1-1, 1.72 in his three starts (only 15.2 IP- under 3-0).

Cooney is 0-0, 3.70 in his five starts, four of which went over.

Braves lost three of last four games with St Louis (over 3-1). Braves are 3-7 in last ten games; under is 7-2-1 in their last ten. Cardinals won five of last six games; over is 5-3-1 in their last nine.

Reds @ Rockies
DeSclafani is 0-2, 6.67 in his last five starts; three of his last four went over.

Butler is 1-1, 4.64 in his last four starts; three of last four stayed under.

Cincinnati lost four of last five games with Colorado (over 4-1); Reds lost six of last nine games-- five of last six went over. Rockies lost four of last five games- their of their last four went over.

Brewers @ Diamondbacks
Nelson is 4-1, 4.22 in his last five starts; three of his last four went over, with Milwaukee scoring 24 runs in those four games.

Corbin is 1-2, 4.80 in his three starts (under 2-1).

Road team won seven of last ten Milwaukee-Arizona games; six of last eight went over total. Brewers won four of last six games- four of last five went over total. Diamondbacks lost eight of their last ten games- three of last five stayed under.

Marlins @ Padres
Haren is 1-0, 3.50 in his last three starts; three of his last four went over.

Cashner is 1-1, 3.05 in his last three starts (over is 7-1-1 in his last nine).

San Diego won four of last six games with Miami; home side won eight of last 11 series game; Padres lost last three games after winning previous five. Over is 16-7-1 in their last 24 at home. Miami won its last three games after it lost previous four- over is 5-4 in its last nine games.

American League
Tigers @ Red Sox
Tigers are 0-6 in Verlander's starts this year (0-3, 7.09, over 6-0).
Former Tiger Porcello is 1-5, 7.57 in his last seven starts; under is 5-2-1 in his last eight outings.
Detroit won five of last six games with Boston (over 2-0-1 in last three). Red Sox are 0-7 since All-Star break, outscored 39-13- four of their lst five games went over. Tigers lost seven of their last ten games.

White Sox @ Indians
Quintana is 0-2, 3.92 in his last three starts; seven of his last ten went under.

Kluber is 2-1, 2.01 in his last three starts; four of his last six stayed under.

White Sox lost three of last four games with Cleveland; nine of last ten series games stayed under. Chicago lost six of last eight games; under is 6-3-1 in its last ten games. Indians are 3-5 in last eight games (last five went over).

Orioles @ Rays
Tillman is 2-0, 1.40 in his last four starts, all of which stayed under.

Archer is 0-3, 5.61 in his last four starts; over is 5-1-1 in his last seven.

Baltimore is 6-4 in last ten games with Tampa Bay; six of last seven in series stayed under total. Orioles lost six of last eight games. Rays lost three of last four games; under is 6-1-2 in their last nine.

Astros @ Royals
Kazmir is 3-1, 1.74 in his last seven starts; seven of his last nine went under- this is his first start for Houston after being traded this week.

Guthrie is 2-0, 4.07 in his last four starts, three of which went over.

Astros won last six games with Kansas City; Houston won five of last six games overall, with four of last five going over total. Royals won four of last six games; under is 3-1-1 in their last five.

Bronx @ Twins
Pineda is 1-1, 2.29 in his last three starts; his last four stayed under.

Former Bronx Bomber Hughes is 4-0, 2.85 in his last six starts.

Bronx won three of last four games with Minnesota; four of last five series games went over total. Twins lost four of last five games; under is 5-1-1 in last seven. Bronx won six of last seven games; five of last six stayed under. .

Rangers @ Angels
Lewis is 2-1, 7.40 in his last four starts, all of which went over.

Tropeano threw six shutout innings (97 PT) in his only '15 start. .

Angels won six of last seven games with Texas; six of his last eight went over the total. Halos are 20-8 in last 28 home games, 12 of last 14 stayed under the total. Rangers are 3-2 in last five games (over 4-1).

Blue Jays @ Mariners
Hutchison is 1-1, 7.47 in his last three starts; his last five went over- he was sick Thursday and was pushed back to today.

Hernandez is 1-1, 1.04 in his last four starts; five of his last six stayed under.

Toronto lost three of last four games with Seattle; Blue Jays won three of last four games- under is 4-1-1 in their last six. Mariners are 3-5 in their last eight games; five of their last seven stayed under the total.

Interleague
A's @ Giants
Chavez is 1-3, 4.30 in his last four starts; six of his last seven went over.

Peavy is 1-4, 5.93 in his five starts (over 3-2).

A's won seven of last nine games with the Giants- they're 5-5 in their last ten games (under 6-3-1). San Francisco won eight of last nine games (over 8-1).

Win-loss records this year for team with this starting pitcher:
Phil-Cubs Williams 4-10; Lester 10-9
Wsh-Pitt-- Scherzer 11-8; Locke 9-9
LA-NY-- Thomas 0-0; Niese 7-11
Atl-StL-- Banuelos 2-1; Cooney 1-4
Cin-Colo-- DeSclafani 9-9; Butler 5-6
Mil-Az-- Nelson 8-11; Corbin 1-2
Mia-SD-- Haren 10-9; Cashner 6-12

Det-Bos-- Verlander 0-6; Porcello 8-10
Chi-Clev-- Quintana 7-10; Kluber 6-14
Balt-TB-- Tillman 10-8; Archer 11-9
Hst-KC-- Kazmir 0-0 (8-10 with A's); Guthrie 12-6
NY-Min-- Pineda 11-7; Hughes 10-9
Tor-Sea-- Hutchison 12-7; Hernandez 12-7
Tex-LAA-- Lewis 9-10; Tropeano 1-0

A's-SF-- Chavez 5-11; Peavy 1-4

Times this starting pitcher allowed a run in first inning:
Phil-Cubs Williams 6-14; Lester 7-19
Wsh-Pitt-- Scherzer 3-19; Locke 4-18
LA-NY-- Thomas 0-0; Niese 6-18
Atl-StL-- Banuelos 0-3; Cooney 0-5
Cin-Colo-- DeSclafani 4-18; Butler 6-12
Mil-Az-- Nelson 11-19; Corbin 0-3
Mia-SD-- Haren 2-19; Cashner 6-19

Det-Bos-- Verlander 3-6; Porcello 3-18
Chi-Clev-- Quintana 11-17 (6 of last 6); Kluber 10-20
Balt-TB-- Tillman 3-18; Archer 5-20
Hst-KC-- Kazmir 2-18; Guthrie 3-18
NY-Min-- Pineda 6-18; Hughes 4-19
Tor-Sea-- Hutchison 12-7; Hernandez 4-19
Tex-LAA-- Lewis 4-19; Tropeano 0-0

A's-SF-- Chavez 3-16; Peavy 0-5

Tokens
MLB

Friday, July 24

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trend Report
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4:05 PM
PHILADELPHIA vs. CHI CUBS
Philadelphia is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Philadelphia's last 7 games when playing Chi Cubs
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Chi Cubs's last 7 games when playing Philadelphia
The total has gone UNDER in 12 of Chi Cubs's last 17 games at home

7:05 PM
WASHINGTON vs. PITTSBURGH
Washington is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games
Washington is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Washington
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Pittsburgh's last 5 games at home

7:10 PM
LA DODGERS vs. NY METS
LA Dodgers are 9-2 SU in their last 11 games when playing on the road against NY Mets
The total has gone OVER in 7 of LA Dodgers's last 10 games when playing on the road against NY Mets
The total has gone UNDER in 9 of NY Mets's last 12 games at home
NY Mets are 9-4 SU in its last 13 games at home

BALTIMORE vs. TAMPA BAY
Baltimore is 8-4 SU in its last 12 games when playing on the road against Tampa Bay
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Baltimore's last 7 games when playing Tampa Bay
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Tampa Bay's last 7 games when playing Baltimore
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Tampa Bay's last 6 games

CHI WHITE SOX vs. CLEVELAND
Chi White Sox are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Chi White Sox's last 8 games when playing on the road against Cleveland
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Cleveland's last 8 games when playing at home against Chi White Sox
Cleveland is 14-4 SU in their last 18 games when playing at home against Chi White Sox

DETROIT vs. BOSTON
Detroit is 3-7 SU in its last 10 games
The total has gone OVER in 20 of Detroit's last 25 games
Boston is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games at home
Boston is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games when playing at home against Detroit

8:10 PM
NY YANKEES vs. MINNESOTA
NY Yankees are 6-1 SU in their last 7 games
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of NY Yankees's last 6 games
Minnesota is 2-4 SU in their last 6 games when playing NY Yankees
Minnesota is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games at home

8:10 PM
HOUSTON vs. KANSAS CITY
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Houston's last 5 games
Houston is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
Kansas City is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing Houston
Kansas City is 6-12 SU in its last 18 games when playing at home against Houston

8:15 PM
ATLANTA vs. ST. LOUIS
The total has gone UNDER in 13 of Atlanta's last 18 games
The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Atlanta's last 13 games on the road
St. Louis is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games at home
St. Louis is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games

8:40 PM
CINCINNATI vs. COLORADO
Cincinnati is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Colorado
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Cincinnati's last 7 games when playing on the road against Colorado
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Colorado's last 7 games when playing at home against Cincinnati
Colorado is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games at home

9:40 PM
MILWAUKEE vs. ARIZONA
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Milwaukee's last 5 games when playing Arizona
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Milwaukee's last 5 games
Arizona is 2-8 SU in its last 10 games
Arizona is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games when playing Milwaukee

10:05 PM
TEXAS vs. LA ANGELS
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Texas's last 5 games when playing LA Angels
Texas is 1-6 SU in their last 7 games when playing LA Angels
The total has gone UNDER in 11 of LA Angels's last 14 games at home
LA Angels are 6-1 SU in their last 7 games at home

10:10 PM
MIAMI vs. SAN DIEGO
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Miami's last 6 games
Miami is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games when playing San Diego
San Diego is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games when playing at home against Miami
The total has gone OVER in 15 of San Diego's last 23 games at home

10:10 PM
TORONTO vs. SEATTLE
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Toronto's last 6 games
The total has gone OVER in 8 of Toronto's last 12 games when playing Seattle
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Seattle's last 5 games when playing at home against Toronto
Seattle is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Toronto

10:15 PM
OAKLAND vs. SAN FRANCISCO
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Oakland's last 6 games on the road
Oakland is 7-2 SU in its last 9 games when playing San Francisco
The total has gone OVER in 4 of San Francisco's last 6 games
San Francisco is 2-7 SU in its last 9 games when playing Oakland

Tokens
MLB
Dunkel

Friday, July 24

Philadelphia @ Chicago Cubs

Game 951-952
July 24, 2015 @ 4:05 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Philadelphia
(Williams) 15.797
Chicago Cubs
(Lester) 14.608
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Philadelphia
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Chicago Cubs
No Total
Dunkel Pick:
Philadelphia
(+230); N/A

Washington @ Pittsburgh

Game 953-954
July 24, 2015 @ 7:05 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Washington
(Scherzer) 13.972
Pittsburgh
(Locke) 15.922
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Pittsburgh
by 2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Washington
6 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Pittsburgh
(+110); Under

LA Dodgers @ NY Mets

Game 955-956
July 24, 2015 @ 7:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
LA Dodgers
(Thomas) 16.379
NY Mets
(Niese) 13.717
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
LA Dodgers
by 2 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
LA Dodgers
6 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
LA Dodgers
(-180); Over

Atlanta @ St. Louis

Game 957-958
July 24, 2015 @ 8:15 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Atlanta
(Banuelos) 13.717
St. Louis
(Cooney) 17.205
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
St. Louis
by 3 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
St. Louis
7 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
St. Louis
(-185); Over

Cincinnati @ Colorado

Game 959-960
July 24, 2015 @ 8:40 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Cincinnati
(DeSclafni) 16.059
Colorado
(Butler) 15.214
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Cincinnati
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Colorado
Dunkel Pick:
Cincinnati
(+100); Over

Milwaukee @ Arizona

Game 961-962
July 24, 2015 @ 8:40 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Milwaukee
(Nelson) 16.383
Arizona
(Corbin) 13.391
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Milwaukee
by 3
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Arizona
Dunkel Pick:
Milwaukee
(+105); Over

Miami @ San Diego

Game 963-964
July 24, 2015 @ 10:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Miami
(Haren) 12.723
San Diego
(Cashner) 16.391
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
San Diego
by 3 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
San Diego
6 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
San Diego
(-145); Under

Baltimore @ Tampa Bay

Game 965-966

Dunkel Rating:
Baltimore
(Tillman) 14.682
Tampa Bay
(Archer) 16.210
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Tampa Bay
by 1 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Tampa Bay
Dunkel Pick:
Tampa Bay
(-160); Under

Chicago White Sox @ Cleveland

Game 967-968

Dunkel Rating:
Chicago White Sox
(Quintana) 13.383
Cleveland
(Kluber) 16.782
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Cleveland
by 3 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Cleveland
Dunkel Pick:
Cleveland
(-180); Under

Detroit @ Boston

Game 969-970

Dunkel Rating:
Detroit
(Verlander) 13.845
Boston
(Porcello) 15.412
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Boston
by 1 1/2
8 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Boston
9 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Boston
(-140); Under

NY Yankees @ Minnesota

Game 971-972
July 24, 2015 @ 8:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
NY Yankees
(Pineda) 15.624
Minnesota
(Hughes) 16.563
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Minnesota
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
NY Yankees
Dunkel Pick:
Minnesota
(+120); Over

Houston @ Kansas City

Game 973-974
July 24, 2015 @ 8:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Houston
(Kazmir) 15.986
Kansas City
(Guthrie) 14.800
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Houston
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Kansas City
8 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Houston
(+115); Over

Texas @ LA Angels

Game 975-976
July 24, 2015 @ 10:05 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Texas
(Lewis) 12.626
LA Angels
(Tropeano) 16.860
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
LA Angels
by 4
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
LA Angels
8 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
LA Angels
(-160); Under

Toronto @ Seattle

Game 977-978
July 24, 2015 @ 10:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Toronto
(Hutchisn) 14.766
Seattle
(Hernandz) 16.309
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Seattle
by 1 1/2
5 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Seattle
No Line
N/A
Dunkel Pick:
Seattle
N/A

Oakland @ San Francisco

Game 979-980
July 24, 2015 @ 10:15 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Oakland
(Chavez) 17.976
San Francisco
(Peavy) 15.723
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Oakland
by 2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
San Francisco
Dunkel Pick:
Oakland
(+105); Over

Tokens
MLB

Friday, July 24

MLB betting cheat sheet: Giants making their move

Here's a comprehensive look at betting notes for the weekend major-league schedule:

Giants Making Their Move

San Francisco started off the month of July with a seven game losing streak, and it looked as though the Dodgers would run away with the NL West. They've since won nine of 11, moving to within 2.5 games of Los Angeles.

Hunter Pence returned to the lineup on July 7, and he's batting .304 with three home runs and 13 RBIs during that span.

With the Giants hosting Oakland over the weekend, they could gain even more ground on the Dodgers who are on the road in New York.

Fish Out Of Water

The Marlins might not be the hottest team in the majors, but if bettors thought that fading the Fish would be easy money after Stanton's injury, they were sadly mistaken.

Miami is 10-10 over it's last 20 games, and they are 4-8 since losing Dee Gordon. That might make you think twice about laying the chalk to bet against Miami.

Pujols Turning Back The Clock

The 35 year old has taken over the major league lead with his 28th and 29th home runs in a win over Boston on Monday. Pujols hit a major league best 47 in 2009, and a National League best 42 in 2010.

The Angels host Texas this weekend, and Albert has good numbers against the Rangers' Game 1 starter. Colby Lewis will toe the rubber for the Rangers on Friday, and Pujols is 9-for-20 (.450) with three home runs and seven RBIs lifetime versus the right-hander.

Pitching Notes

* Zack Greinke's scoreless streak is at 43 2/3 innings, and his next start comes in New York on Friday. He tossed seven scoreless innings in a win over the Mets earlier this year, and he's 2-0 with a 1.89 ERA in three starts against the Mets over the last three seasons.

* Felix Hernandez is having himself another stellar season, but he's costing bettors money lately. The right-hander only has one win in his last five starts, and the Mariners have lost six of his last 10. He's scheduled to face the Blue Jays at home on Friday, and he allowed one run on four hits over seven innings in a win over the Jays in Toronto earlier this season. The Jays lineup is hitting just .216 over a combined 241 at bats in past meetings.

Hitting Notes

* Buster Posey is crushing opposing pitchers here in the month of July, batting .396 with a pair of home runs and 12 RBIs. He'll face right-hander Jesse Chavez in Game 1 on Friday, and he's hitting .329 with a dozen home runs and 55 RBIs versus right-handed pitching this year.

* Mark Teixeira is not far off the pace in the home run race, with 24 so far. He's been swinging a hot bat this month, hitting .298 with five home runs and 11 RBIs. He'll face the Twins this weekend, and he's 4-for-7 lifetime versus Tommy Milone, who is scheduled to start Saturday's game.

Totals Streak

The Pirates will host the Nationals over the Weekend, and Pittsburgh has seen the total go under at a rate of 18-7-1 in their last 26 home games. The Nats come in banged up, missing several key hitters. It would come as no surprise if we saw a few pitcher's duels at PNC Park.

Weather Watch

* Forecasts are calling for wind to blow out to centerfield at around 10 miles per hour at Wrigley Field when the Chicago Cubs host the Philadelphia Phillies Friday.

* Saturday's forecast shows wind blowing in from right field at around 11 mpm at Fenway Park when the Boston Red Sox host the Detroit Tigers.

Injury Notes

* Injuries are piling up for the Nats, with Dernard Span, Ryan Zimmerman, Jayson Werth and Anthony Rendon all sidelined with various ailments. They can ill afford to lose Yunel Escobar who leads the team batting .321, but he left Wenesday's game with a sore wrist and wasn't expected to be in Thursday's starting lineup.

* David Peralta took a Jose Fernandez fastball to the head on Wednesday night, and he's listed as day to day pending concussion protocol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com