Cnotes Sports Page For Thursday July 30th Best Bets-Trends-News !

Search

Tokens
Preview: Nationals (53-46) at Marlins (42-59)
Game: 3
Venue: Marlins Park
Date: July 30, 2015 12:10 PM EDT

Max Scherzer was hardly at his best the last time out, or against the Miami Marlins earlier this season.

He'll try to improve on both performances for the Washington Nationals in Thursday's decisive finale at Marlins Park.

For the third time this season and second in his last four starts, Scherzer (10-8, 2.33 ERA) allowed a season-high five runs Friday before leaving without a decision in a 7-5 loss at Pittsburgh - the same club he no-hit June 20. All the damage off Scherzer came via a season-high three homers while he lasted fewer than seven innings for the third time in those four starts after doing so on three occasions in his first 16.

'That's the stuff I relish and want to do to help the team, pitch deep into a game and I wasn't able to do that," he said.

Scherzer has yielded six of his 13 home runs while going 1-2 with a 4.81 ERA in his last four starts.

"That's going to happen," manager Matt Williams.

Though Washington (53-46) beat Miami 7-5 on May 6, the right-hander gave up a three-run shot to the currently injured Giancarlo Stanton, two other runs, a season-high 10 hits and struck out 10 without a walk over seven innings.

Miami (42-59), however, has totaled 10 runs and batted .213 while losing four of five. The Marlins managed five hits and watched as Bryce Harper homered twice during Wednesday's 7-2 defeat.

Harper's hit six of his career-high 29 home runs and has 12 of his personal-best 68 RBIs while batting .385 (10 for 26) in eight games against Miami this season.

'I could remember when the kid came out a lot of people compared him to a young Mickey Mantle, that type of thunder,' Marlins manager Dan Jennings said. 'He's a special hitter.'

One of those homers came off ex-Nationals pitcher Dan Haren (7-6, 3.51) when the right-hander allowed two runs in five innings of a 6-2 victory over Washington on April 26.

Possibly making his last Marlins start with trade rumors swirling around him, Haren is 4-2 with a 2.83 ERA in 10 home starts but has gone 0-1 with a 6.00 ERA in two outings since the All-Star break - both on the road. He's yielded five home runs in those two starts with three coming over six innings in Friday's 3-1 loss at San Diego.

'It was very frustrating,' said Haren, who won't use the lingering trade speculation as an excuse.

"It's not my first time I have gone through this,' he said. 'I keep up to date with some stuff but it is not fun for anybody especially having a family. I don't really have any control over it. It's like turbulence on a plane. There is nothing you can do about it.'

Miami is reportedly trying to iron out a three-team deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers and Atlanta that includes starter Mat Latos and Michael Morse.

"I would say that they are in a holding pattern, pending," Jennings said.

Batting .357 in his last 11 contests, Martin Prado also could be traded by Friday's deadline. He's 6 for 10 with a double against Scherzer.

Dee Gordon is 6 for 15 with a home run and double against him.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Nationals at Marlins
Tue, Jul 28 Final 1 to 4
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Nationals at Marlins
Wed, Jul 29 Final 7 to 2
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
Nationals at Marlins
Thu, Jul 30 - 12:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Padres (48-53) at Mets (52-49)
Venue: Citi Field
Date: July 30, 2015 12:10 PM EDT

As the New York Mets' search for offensive reinforcement continues, the immediate focus is just winning a series for the first time in more than two weeks.

They can do so Thursday - and no longer with Carlos Gomez coming on board - against a visiting San Diego Padres team still listening to offers as the trade deadline approaches.

While New York's three-game winning streak was ending with Wednesday's 7-3 loss, it reportedly acquired Gomez from Milwaukee for pitcher Zack Wheeler and infielder Wilmer Flores. However, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said after the game that the deal for the two-time All-Star center fielder will not happen.

"There is no trade," Alderson said. "Unfortunately social media, etc., got ahead of the facts."

Seeking its first series win since sweeping Arizona from July 10-12, New York (52-49) remains in need of a big-name bat prior to Friday's deadline. The majors' lowest-scoring offense (356 runs) was held to three or fewer runs for the ninth time in 12 games despite three more homers from Lucas Duda on Wednesday.

He's the second player in club history to accomplish the feat after Kirk Nieuwenhuis on July 12.

Each of Duda's six hits in 16 at-bats over the last four games have left the park. He has seven homers and 14 RBIs while batting .329 in 24 games against San Diego (48-53).

Duda is 2 for 5 with two doubles when facing Andrew Cashner (4-10, 3.93 ERA), who has allowed 10 runs and 19 hits in 10 2-3 innings to lose both career starts against New York. The right-hander yielded six of those runs and 11 hits but struck out 12 without a walk in 4 2-3 innings of a 7-0 defeat June 1.

Though Cashner is 0-2 with a 5.10 ERA in his last five road starts, he's helped his potential trade value by going 2-1 with a 2.60 ERA in his last four overall.

"Keep getting better each time I go out," he told MLB's official website.

Cashner beat Miami on Friday, giving up a run in seven innings of a 3-1 victory.

"You look here in this clubhouse, he is one of our biggest competitors," first baseman Yonder Alonso said.

Also mentioned as a possible trade target, perhaps for the Mets, three-time All-Star Justin Upton homered for the second time in three games and had three RBIs on Wednesday. Upton, who leads the Padres with 17 home runs and has 53 RBIs, is batting .327 with nine RBIs in his last 12 games at Citi Field.

"My job is to come here and I'm a Padre, and I'm going to go play a baseball game as a Padre," he said.

He's hitting .391 (9 for 23) against Jonathon Niese (5-9, 3.75), who is looking to bounce back from his shortest start of the season.

Instead of attending the birth of his second child in Ohio on Friday, Niese gave up six runs and eight hits in three innings of a 7-2 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"I know he wanted to be with his wife, especially today," catcher Kevin Plawecki said of Niese, who was 2-2 with a 2.01 ERA in his previous seven starts. "It showed his character to even want to be here and compete, and I think he gave 110 percent and that's all we can ask."

The left-hander's 2.04 ERA against the Padres is his lowest against any opponent, but he hasn't faced them since 2013.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Padres at Mets
Tue, Jul 28 Final 0 to 4
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Padres at Mets
Wed, Jul 29 Final 7 to 3
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
Padres at Mets
Thu, Jul 30 - 12:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Tigers (49-52) at Orioles (51-49)
Game: 1
Venue: Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Date: July 30, 2015 7:05 PM EDT

Just a few days ago, it looked like the Baltimore Orioles would be best served going into sell mode with their impending free agents.

A hot streak has almost certainly dismissed any chance of that.

While the Detroit Tigers appear to be looking toward next season judging by their general manager's comments, they'll try to prevent the Orioles from matching their longest win streak of the year Friday night in the opener of a four-game series at Camden Yards.

Friday's loss at Tampa Bay capped a 5-15 stretch for the Orioles, who were in danger of falling too far behind in the wild-card race. Baltimore (51-49) rebounded to win two straight against the Rays, however, and completed a three-game sweep of Atlanta with Wednesday's 2-0 victory.

With Minnesota struggling, the Orioles are now one game behind the final wild-card spot.

Chris Tillman became the latest Baltimore starter to impress, falling one out shy of the team's first complete game to lower the rotation's ERA to 1.24 during the five-game streak, one shy of the season high set June 7-13.

"Pitching like we've been pitching keeps you in every game," manager Buck Showalter said. "I'll take my chances with that."

Jonathan Schoop homered and J.J. Hardy also went deep to extend his hitting streak to 12 games.

Although the Tigers (49-52) ended a three-game skid with Wednesday's 2-1 victory at Tampa Bay, general manager Dave Dombrowski confirmed after the game that he will listen to offers for their free agents.

"We look at it more as rebooting going into next year," Dombrowski told MLB's official website.

While ace David Price would net the biggest return, Yoenis Cespedes, Joakim Soria, Rajai Davis and Alex Avila could also be attractive pieces for contending clubs.

Losing superstar Miguel Cabrera (left calf strain) didn't originally hurt the Tigers after he went down July 3, as they won four of six and averaged 6.7 runs per game. Since then, however, they've gone 5-11 while scoring 3.8 per contest with a .236 batting average.

Detroit has dropped to fourth place in the Central, its lowest spot after the All-Star break since the end of the 2008 season.

The Tigers get another shot at Miguel Gonzalez (9-6, 3.99 ERA) after he beat them July 19, yielding two runs over five innings in a 9-3 victory at Comerica Park.

The right-hander followed that outing by winning in more impressive fashion Saturday, taking a shutout into the eighth at Tampa Bay before ultimately allowing one run and five hits over 7 2-3 innings in a 5-1 win.

He's 1-2 with a 7.65 ERA in four starts against the Tigers.

Davis (4 for 12 with three homers) and Cespedes (5 for 11) have both posed problems for him.

Alfredo Simon (9-6, 4.46), who broke into the majors with the Orioles in 2008, faces his former team for the first time.

The right-hander went 1-3 with a 10.16 ERA during a six-start span before limiting Boston to one run and five hits over six-plus innings in a 5-1 victory Saturday. He suffered a slight groin injury on his second pitch in the seventh.

Travis Snider has the most experience of any Orioles hitter against Simon, going 5 for 15. Chris Davis is 2 for 2 with a home run.

Victor Martinez is hitting .392 with four homers during a 13-game hitting streak at Camden Yards, including two games in last season's AL division series.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Tigers at Orioles
Thu, Jul 30 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 2
Tigers at Orioles
Fri, Jul 31 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Tigers at Orioles
Sat, Aug 1 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 4
Tigers at Orioles
Sun, Aug 2 - 1:35PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Royals (61-39) at Blue Jays (51-51)
Venue: Rogers Centre
Date: July 30, 2015 7:07 PM EDT

While moving on after being traded sometimes takes time, Troy Tulowitzki has begun doing so in emphatic fashion.

Toronto's new leadoff hitter will try to stay hot Thursday night when the Blue Jays open a four-game set versus a Kansas City Royals team hoping to unveil its own new acquisition.

Tulowitzki admitted before Wednesday night's game versus Philadelphia he was "blindsided" by the trade that sent him north of the border from Colorado a day earlier. The shock didn't seem to last long, because after striking out in his first at-bat, Tulowitzki hit a two-run homer to snap an 0-for-21 slump. He added two doubles and finished with three runs and three RBIs as Toronto (51-51) rolled to an 8-2 victory.

"That was huge for me to get that under my belt," he said. "I relaxed after that and took better swings."

Tulowitzki hadn't played at Rogers Centre since 2007, but all five of his hits at Rogers Centre have gone for extra bases - three were home runs.

He's also gone deep once in three at-bats against Royals starter David Duffy (4-4, 4.03 ERA).

Duffy has gone 2-1 with a 2.15 ERA in six starts since a stint on the disabled list with a sore biceps, and the left-hander has yielded only four runs in 26 1-3 innings covering his last four outings. He limited Houston to one run and three hits in six innings of a 2-1, 10-inning victory Saturday.

"Actually, we knew he was back two starts ago," manager Ned Yost told MLB's official website. "He's back looking sharp again."

One of those sharp outings came at the expense of the Blue Jays on July 10 when he allowed four hits and three walks in six innings of a 3-0 victory, his first career win over Toronto. While Duffy has kept Jose Bautista in the ballpark, he hasn't kept him off the basepaths - the slugger is 4 for 6 lifetime against him.

The Royals (61-39) enjoy the biggest division lead in the majors at nine games and recently made two moves to bolster their chances of returning to the World Series, acquiring starting pitcher Johnny Cueto and utility player Ben Zobrist. While Cueto will make his first start Friday, Zobrist may play in this game, and the anticipation of his impact negated any bad vibes of Wednesday's 12-1 loss to Cleveland that snapped a four-game win streak.

"These moves obviously will help our team, and they're going to give us a lot of flexibility," manager Ned Yost said. "Zobrist, especially, because every player needs breaks the later you go into the season."

Eric Hosmer had two doubles to continue his torrid hitting since the All-Star break. He's batting .462 with nine extra-base hits and a 1.288 OPS in those 14 games, and that surge stands to continue given he went 3 for 3 against scheduled Blue Jays starter Marco Estrada (7-6, 3.55) in Duffy's win last month.

Estrada has alternated losses and wins in his last five starts, partly due to inconsistent run support. The Blue Jays have given him 11 runs in the two victories but only one in the three defeats.

The righty failed to help himself Friday at Seattle, giving up five runs and eight hits in four-plus innings of a 5-2 defeat. He was reached for two runs and nine hits in 6 2-3 innings in losing to Duffy - his lone start against the Royals.

While Blue Jays second baseman Devon Travis (shoulder strain) remains out indefinitely, the status of Edwin Encarnacion is uncertain after X-rays on his jammed middle finger were negative.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Royals at Blue Jays
Thu, Jul 30 - 7:07PM EDT

GAME 2
Royals at Blue Jays
Fri, Jul 31 - 7:07PM EDT

GAME 3
Royals at Blue Jays
Sat, Aug 1 - 1:07PM EDT

GAME 4
Royals at Blue Jays
Sun, Aug 2 - 1:07PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Braves (46-55) at Phillies (38-64)
Venue: Citizens Bank Park
Date: July 30, 2015 7:05 PM EDT

The other shoe finally fell in the Cole Hamels saga, though the Philadelphia Phillies will likely have to wait for the return to begin bearing fruit.

It remains to be seen if the Atlanta Braves follow suit in shipping off assets before Friday's trade deadline.

The last-place Phillies and plummeting Braves open a four-game series Thursday night at Citizens Bank Park.

Philadelphia (38-64) finally pulled the trigger on a deal Wednesday night involving Hamels, sending him along with reliever Jake Diekman to Texas for Matt Harrison and four prospects, highlighted by catcher Jorge Alfaro. The deal doesn't do much in the present for the Phillies, who have the worst team in baseball and are on pace to finish with their worst record since going 47-107 in 1961.

Atlanta (46-55) was at the .500 mark just three weeks ago but has dropped 13 of 17 and has scored 10 runs while losing six of seven. The Braves could be looking to sell, too, though manager Fredi Gonzalez downplayed that suggestion after Wednesday's 2-0 loss at Baltimore.

"The only thing I can say is I got here, turned my phone on and there's nothing on my phone," he said. "I am not talking about Twitter. I am not on Twitter. I didn't get anything from our general manager or anything like that. So, as far as I am concerned, there's no truth to those rumors right now."

Thursday's matchup features two pitchers seeking their first victories since May.

Atlanta's Shelby Miller (5-7, 2.27 ERA) is 0-6 despite a 2.96 ERA in 12 starts since his last win. He's averaged 1.2 runs of support in that span, getting backed by no runs in six of his last seven outings.

He lost again Saturday at St. Louis despite limiting his former club to a run and two hits over 7 1-3 innings in a 1-0 defeat.

"One run, two hits. How much more can you ask for and can he do other than drive in a couple of runs himself?" Gonzalez told MLB's official website. "He pitched great."

Miller's winless stretch includes Atlanta's 4-0 loss to Philadelphia on July 5 as he allowed seven hits in 6 1-3 scoreless innings. He's 3-1 in six career meetings with a 2.03 ERA.

Aaron Harang (4-11, 4.08) is making his first start since July 1 after being sidelined by plantar fasciitis. His season went downhill prior to the injury - he dropped his last eight starts and owns an 8.31 ERA over the last six with opponents hitting .331 in that span. He surrendered a career high-matching 14 hits and a season-high eight runs over five-plus innings in a 9-5 loss to Milwaukee on July 1.

Jose Contreras was the last pitcher to lose nine consecutive starts in the same season, doing so in 2007 with the Chicago White Sox. Harang will look to draw upon recent success against Atlanta, as he's 2-0 with a 1.93 ERA in his last five meetings, and gave up one run over 14 innings in two this year with his second-to-last win.

Atlanta owns a 5-4 edge in the season series and has won 14 of the last 22 meetings.

Freddie Freeman is 9 for 23 with six RBIs while playing six times against Philadelphia this year but is 2 for 17 with five strikeouts off Harang. He's also just 2 for 18 since being activated from the disabled list.

Freddy Galvis is 18 for his last 42 (.429) against the Braves.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Braves at Phillies
Thu, Jul 30 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 2
Braves at Phillies
Fri, Jul 31 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Braves at Phillies
Sat, Aug 1 - 7:05PM EDT

GAME 4
Braves at Phillies
Sun, Aug 2 - 1:35PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: White Sox (49-50) at Red Sox (44-58)
Game: 4
Venue: Fenway Park
Date: July 30, 2015 7:10 PM EDT

The Chicago White Sox didn't provide Chris Sale with much support throughout most of June, but he's received plenty of help this month and got enough runs to win his last start before throwing a pitch.

The White Sox's lineup has produced at such a torrid clip that the franchise seems ready to alter its plans at the trading deadline and make a playoff push.

Chicago will try to take its next small step by climbing back to .500 and completing an 8-0 road trip with its first four-game sweep of the Red Sox at Fenway Park in 88 years.

Sale (9-5, 2.85 ERA) got a combined seven runs to work with in his final five starts in June and went 1-2 despite logging a 2.17 ERA. He's gone 3-1 with a 2.76 ERA in four games this month while backed with 17 runs.

Sale was spotted a five-run lead before taking the mound Saturday in Cleveland and gave up two runs in seven innings in a 10-3 victory.

Chicago (49-50) has batted .332 and scored 54 runs on its trip, and its seven-game win streak is the longest since a nine-game run May 23-June 1, 2012, and longest on the road since an eight-gamer that same season.

Melky Cabrera went 3 for 6 for his career-best seventh straight multihit game and has an RBI in nine straight contests, also a personal best.

Cabrera, batting .545 (18 for 33) with a 1.589 OPS in his last seven games, has also appeared to help push the White Sox out of selling mode before Friday's deadline. Chicago is rumored to have taken starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija off the market after climbing within 2 1/2 games of Minnesota for the AL's second wild-card spot.

The White Sox, winners in 11 of 12 on the road, still have two teams between them and the Twins. They're also tied with Tampa Bay but have passed three clubs since July 22.

"It seems like the team was left for dead a week ago and now it's got some life and is playing good baseball," manager Robin Ventura said. "You never know what's going to happen."

Chicago will try register its first four-game sweep at Fenway Park since June 2-6, 1927, and reach .500 for the first time since it was 18-18 on May 19. The only time the White Sox went unbeaten on a road trip of at least eight games came on an 11-game trek in 1951.

Sale looks to help deliver all three in his third career start against Boston. He had no record and a 1.23 ERA in his other two, both last season, and is 5-2 with a 2.02 ERA and 87 strikeouts in 58 innings in his last eight on the road.

It's unclear if he'll face Pablo Sandoval in this start after the third baseman left Wednesday's game due to dehydration.

"That's something that Pablo's dealt with his entire career," manager John Farrell said. "It continues to be addressed. ... There are ongoing efforts to support that, to try to get him in the best shape possible."

Steven Wright (3-4, 4.78) will make his first appearance against Chicago and try to avoid a third consecutive defeat since returning to the rotation. The knuckleballer has a 7.71 ERA in his two outings and gave up four runs in 4 1-3 innings Saturday in a 5-1 loss to Detroit.

Wright will try to lead Boston to just its third win in 15 games and help it avoid a season high-tying fourth consecutive home loss.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
White Sox at Red Sox
Mon, Jul 27 Final 10 to 8
Boxscores

GAME 2
White Sox at Red Sox
Tue, Jul 28 Final 9 to 4
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
White Sox at Red Sox
Wed, Jul 29 Final 9 to 2
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 4
White Sox at Red Sox
Thu, Jul 30 - 7:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Pirates (59-41) at Reds (45-54)
Venue: Great American Ball Park
Date: July 30, 2015 7:10 PM EDT

A.J. Burnett acknowledges that maintaining his superb first-half statistics was unlikely, but he undoubtedly wanted a better showing after the All-Star break than his past two outings.

The veteran right-hander will try to end his brief slump and lead the Pittsburgh Pirates to their sixth win in seven games Thursday night against the Cincinnati Reds, whom they've struggled to beat this season.

Burnett headed to his first All-Star Game in Cincinnati after going 7-3 with a 2.11 ERA, tied for the NL's second-best, and went 1-0 with a 2.45 ERA in three starts against the Reds.

In his two games since the break, he has allowed 11 runs and 22 hits in 11 2-3 innings. Burnett (8-4, 2.68 ERA) got enough support for a 10-7 win in Kansas City on July 20 but took a 9-3 loss to Washington on Saturday, his first in six starts since June 19.

"If you expect me to go out and do what I did in the first half, you're nuts," Burnett said. "I'm doing everything I can but that's ridiculous numbers and I mean execution is really the answer. The first half I executed, the last two starts I haven't."

The Pirates (59-41) have won three in a row since Burnett's loss and finished a two-game sweep in Minnesota with a 10-4 victory Wednesday.

Andrew McCutchen hit a two-run homer in the fifth and scored on two Twins errors following an RBI single in a five-run sixth. Jung Ho Kang, batting .462 in his last 10 games, went 3 for 5 with his second home run in as many contests.

The Pirates now seek to improve on a 2-7 record against the Reds. Pittsburgh opened its season being swept in a three-game series in Cincinnati and has dropped nine of 11 there.

The Reds (45-54) have lost 17 of 28 since their latest series with the Pirates, and dealing Johnny Cueto to Kansas City on Sunday signaled they are sellers ahead of Friday's trade deadline. One player rumored to be on the move, Jay Bruce, hit a solo homer in a 1-0 win in St. Louis on Wednesday, and another, Aroldis Chapman, converted his 12th consecutive save.

"It's one of those things where you try your best to be a professional and not let any of it bother you," Bruce told MLB's official website. "You hear what people say. But I'm on the Reds. I'm here to help these guys win games. This is all that I know."

David Holmberg will try to fill Cueto's sizable spot in the rotation in his season debut. Holmberg went 2-2 with a 4.80 ERA in seven appearances for Cincinnati last season, including five starts, and will make his first against Pittsburgh.

Aramis Ramirez is the only current Pirates hitter to have faced him, going 2 for 5 with a solo homer. He had his first hits in four games since returning to Pittsburgh on Wednesday, going 2 for 5.

Pittsburgh might need more production from Ramirez with Gregory Polanco's status unknown because of an ailing left knee. The outfielder was removed in the fourth inning Wednesday and failed to get a hit for just the third time in his past 19 games.

Cincinnati's Joey Votto, batting .550 in his last 12 games despite going 0 for 3 on Wednesday, is hitting .458 with three homers in his past six at home against Pittsburgh but is 1 for 9 versus Burnett this season. Bruce is 3 for 31 lifetime against the right-hander.

Brandon Phillips is batting .406 in a seven-game hit streak against Pittsburgh, and Todd Frazier is hitting .359 with five homers in a nine-game run.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Pirates at Reds
Thu, Jul 30 - 7:10PM EDT

GAME 2
Pirates at Reds
Fri, Jul 31 - 7:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Pirates at Reds
Sat, Aug 1 - 7:10PM EDT

GAME 4
Pirates at Reds
Sun, Aug 2 - 1:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Rockies (43-56) at Cardinals (64-37)
Venue: Busch Stadium
Date: July 30, 2015 7:15 PM EDT

The St. Louis Cardinals have enjoyed their most success at home in more than half a century this season, though they've been stalled by recent hiccups.

Carlos Martinez figures to be a good bet to get them back on track Thursday night against the Colorado Rockies, who have been abysmal away from Coors Field this year.

St. Louis (64-37) owns baseball's best record and its home record of 37-15 would be its second-best ever over a full season behind a 58-21 record from 1943. The Cardinals, though, have been shut out in two straight for the second time this season, dropping back-to-back games to Cincinnati while totaling eight hits.

'This is a team that will produce, can produce at times," manager Mike Matheny said. "It just didn't come as easy and we got to figure out a way to get it done and just haven't been able to get it done the last couple of nights."

The offense could be limited with Matt Holliday set to be reevaluated after leaving Wednesday's loss with a strained right quad - the same injury that saw him miss 31 games earlier this season. Holliday is a .397 career hitter against his former team with 11 homers and 35 RBIs.

Martinez's 1.13 ERA since May 20 is the best among pitchers with at least 10 starts in that span. He threw a career-best eight innings in Saturday's 1-0 win over Atlanta and has allowed only four runs over his last 32 innings.

One of the keys to Martinez's success has been his stinginess with runners on base. While Martinez's 1.23 WHIP isn't elite by any means - the major league leader is Zack Greinke at 0.83 - he's limiting opponents to a .122 batting average with runners in scoring position. Opponents are 1 for 23 in those situations over his last five games.

Colorado is 19 for 91 (.209) with runners in scoring position over their last 12 road games.

Martinez (11-4, 2.34 ERA) pitched in the Cardinals' lone win when they dropped two of three in Denver from June 8-10. He gave up a Ben Paulsen two-run homer while working 6 1-3 innings in a 4-2 victory in the finale.

The Rockies' 3-2 loss to the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday was their major league-worst 16th in their last 21 on the road going back to June 11. Colorado (43-56) is averaging 3.3 runs on the road in that span compared to 6.0 at home. The now-traded Troy Tulowitzki was the only qualifying player batting above .260 on the road during that stretch.

While the Rockies had 10 hits in their first game without Tulowitzki, a 7-2 victory Tuesday over the Cubs, they were limited to five and struck out 16 times in Wednesday's 3-2 loss. Jose Reyes was 1 for 3 and walked in his Colorado debut.

Carlos Gonzalez continued his hot stretch, hitting his 21st homer. He's batting .426 with 11 home runs and 24 RBIs over his last 17 contests and has hit .347 over his last 26 meetings with the Cardinals.

Chris Rusin (3-4, 4.13) had logged five consecutive quality starts before having a tougher time in Saturday's 5-2 loss to the Reds, giving up four earned runs and 10 hits over five innings.

He won his only start against St. Louis, allowing seven hits over seven innings in a 3-0 road victory for the Cubs on Aug. 9, 2013. He also yielded one run over five innings of relief at Busch Stadium on April 12, 2014.

The Cardinals have won 23 of the last 33 meetings.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Rockies at Cardinals
Thu, Jul 30 - 7:15PM EDT

GAME 2
Rockies at Cardinals
Fri, Jul 31 - 8:15PM EDT

GAME 3
Rockies at Cardinals
Sat, Aug 1 - 7:15PM EDT

GAME 4
Rockies at Cardinals
Sun, Aug 2 - 2:15PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Yankees (57-43) at Rangers (48-52)
Game: 4
Venue: Globe Life Park in Arlington
Date: July 30, 2015 8:05 PM EDT

The Texas Rangers won the Cole Hamels sweepstakes, but they might not be done dealing.

Yovani Gallardo is scheduled to make what could be his last start for the Rangers Thursday night against the visiting New York Yankees.

Texas acquired Hamels, along with fellow pitcher Jake Diekman and cash considerations, from Philadelphia on Wednesday in exchange for Matt Harrison and five prospects, highlighted by catcher Jorge Alfaro and pitcher Jake Thompson.

Hamels, the 2008 World Series MVP, ranks fourth among active pitchers with a 3.30 career ERA and comes off a 13-strikeout, no-hitter against the Chicago Cubs on Saturday.

"He's definitely a great pitcher," first baseman Mitch Moreland said after Texas' 5-2 win over New York on Wednesday. "Obviously watched the no-hitter the other day, pretty impressive. He's got a long track record of great success. It will be huge for us."

While the Rangers (48-52) have an arduous road to a playoff berth this season - they're only four games out of a playoff spot, but are looking up at seven teams in the wild-card standings - Hamels helps them contend for the foreseeable future. He's signed through 2018 with a team option for 2019.

Gallardo (7-9, 3.19 ERA), on the other hand, is a free agent after this season. With the right-hander posting the lowest ERA of his career, it makes sense for Texas to send him elsewhere before Friday's deadline.

He's been roughed up recently though, giving up five earned runs while throwing only four-plus innings in each of his last two starts, and he's 0-3 in his last five.

Texas snapped a three-game skid Wednesday with just its second victory in the last 14 home games, bouncing back from Tuesday's 21-5 loss.

"I feel like (Tuesday) was kind of weird, just overall a weird game," said Colby Lewis, who recorded his 11th win. "Feel like this is a team, we don't really worry about what happened last night."

It marked just the second time in seven games the Yankees (57-43) scored fewer than six runs. They're averaging 5.7 runs while going an AL-best 13-4 since July 8.

RBI leader Mark Teixeira didn't play after taking a pitch on the foot Tuesday, though manager Joe Girardi said it was a planned day off.

Scheduled starter Michael Pineda (9-7, 3.97) has been erratic over his last eight outings, going 2-5 with a 4.91 ERA. In that span he has four quality starts in which he's limited teams to four earned runs over 28 1-3 innings. In the other four, he's given up 22 in 19 1-3.

If the pattern continues, he's in for a better performance. He gave up five runs over 5 2-3 innings of a 10-1 loss at Minnesota on Friday.

"I want to pitch good and help my team," he said. "I don't have control for this situation, so I keep in my head continue working hard and go back to pitching good and help my team."

The right-hander has had a tough time in four starts against Texas, however, posting an 0-3 record with a 5.04 ERA. He gave up seven runs - four earned - over six innings of a 10-9 loss on May 22, surrendering home runs to Prince Fielder and Moreland.

Adrian Beltre is just 1 for 9 off Pineda, while Moreland is 4 for 9 with two homers, a double and a triple.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Yankees at Rangers
Mon, Jul 27 Final 6 to 2
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Yankees at Rangers
Tue, Jul 28 Final 21 to 5
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
Yankees at Rangers
Wed, Jul 29 Final 2 to 5
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 4
Yankees at Rangers
Thu, Jul 30 - 8:05PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Cubs (53-47) at Brewers (44-58)
Venue: Miller Park
Date: July 30, 2015 8:10 PM EDT

Jake Arrieta was overshadowed by a no-hitter the last time out, and while his next opponent hasn't quite been on that level, he is enjoying maybe the best starting span of his career.

Jimmy Nelson will try to continue finding his way Thursday night as the visiting Chicago Cubs attempt to figure out the last-place Milwaukee Brewers.

While Nelson is 5-1 with a 2.54 ERA in his last six starts, the already established Arrieta has been even better with a 5-1 record and 1.37 ERA in his past seven.

The defeat came in a 5-0 home loss to Philadelphia on Saturday with Cole Hamels throwing a no-hitter while Arrieta (11-6, 2.61 ERA) gave up three runs and had eight strikeouts in six innings. He's struck out 18 in 13 innings over his last two starts, but that's come with six walks after yielding four in 39 2-3 innings of his previous five outings.

"I struggled with timing," Arrieta told MLB's official website. "That was the main issue from start to finish. Toward the end was really the only time I felt like I had consistent command of multiple pitches. I felt like it was a battle. I didn't pitch near the way I would've liked to today."

Arrieta is 2-3 with a 3.22 ERA in six starts against the Brewers, and the best of the bunch was in 2013 in his only one at Miller Park. Ryan Braun (3 for 8), Adam Lind (4 for 13) and Carlos Gomez (3 for 10) have homered off him, but Jonathan Lucroy (2 for 12) and Gerardo Parra (0 for 6) have struggled.

Nelson (8-9, 3.97) hasn't allowed an earned run in two of his last three starts and has won the past two, including Friday's 2-1 victory in Arizona. The right-hander gave up five hits in seven scoreless innings and is no longer thinking about the six-start span preceding his recent success that resulted in a 1-4 record and 6.06 ERA.

"Really not letting the stuff before affect me, not trying to do too much, not trying to go out there and paint corners and strike everybody out, just going to my strengths and let the defense do it job," Nelson said.

Nelson's four starts against the Cubs have resulted in an 0-3 record and 5.25 ERA. Jorge Soler is 5 for 12 with a home run and three doubles, while Kris Bryant is 0 for 6.

The Cubs (53-47) haven't been providing much offense with 3.0 runs per game and a .222 average over a 14-17 span, but that was enough in Wednesday's 3-2 win over Colorado.

Anthony Rizzo homered for the first time in 18 games, a span during which he's batting .203. Bryant went 0 for 4 as his average dipped below .250 for the first time since May 10, and he's hitting .129 in his last 16.

Manager Joe Maddon inserted Kyle Schwarber in left field for a full game for the first time, and while the rookie is 2 for 14 in his last seven games, he has a .400 on-base percentage in that time.

The Brewers (44-58) have won four of six in the season series, but with Wednesday's 5-0 loss in San Francisco, they've fallen into a 1-4 funk with seven runs after winning 15 of their previous 21.

Braun returned from a two-game absence due to lower back tightness and went hitless in four at-bats to drop to 6 for 34 since the All-Star break.

Parra is on a career-best 13-game hitting streak, which could help entice a contender to make a move for the free-agent-to-be before Friday's trade deadline.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Cubs at Brewers
Thu, Jul 30 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 2
Cubs at Brewers
Fri, Jul 31 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Cubs at Brewers

GAME 4
Cubs at Brewers
Sun, Aug 2 - 2:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Mariners (46-56) at Twins (52-48)
Venue: Target Field

Phil Hughes has regained the form that made his first season with the Minnesota Twins such a success, and the approach he takes is one J.A. Happ could employ to work through recent struggles.

Two pitchers displaying very different command in recent starts face off Thursday night with the Twins hoping to halt a four-game losing streak with the Seattle Mariners in town.

Hughes (9-6, 3.93 ERA) has issued 12 walks all season and 28 in 52 starts in his time with the Twins. Happ (4-5, 4.27), who has greatly improved on his free passes since the start of 2014, has matched that mark in 15 starts and a relief effort since the beginning of May.

Happ pitched a perfect relief inning Monday, but prior to that the left-hander had issued nine walks in 12 2-3 innings over three starts. He didn't pick up a decision in any, though the club lost all three after he gave up 10 runs and 12 hits.

His 2.65 walks per nine innings remains his lowest mark, bettering last season's 2.91 rate, but the recent slip is reminiscent of the 3.99 mark he put up from 2007-13.

The first-year Mariner gave up three runs with one hit, four walks and hit a batter in 1 2-3 innings of Saturday's 8-6 home loss to Toronto, but he's not yet ready to call his recent form a regression.

"That's not me. It hasn't been me all year. I'll keep working to get better," Happ told MLB's official website. "This was kind of an anomaly, I felt like. It's certainly frustrating."

Hughes' frustrating times are more than a month in his wake. The right-hander had a 4.79 ERA entering his start June 19, but he's 5-0 with a 2.44 ERA and three walks in 48 innings of seven outings since. In Friday's 10-1 home win over the New York Yankees, Hughes gave up seven hits in seven innings.

It was his first scoreless performance of the season, and all the hits were singles after surrendering 11 home runs in his previous eight starts.

"Anytime you're giving up homers, you're obviously giving up runs and that's not the object of this game, so it was nice to go out there and stay away from that," Hughes said. "I made some adjustments early, tried to mix in some more offspeed pitches."

He's 2-1 with a 0.81 ERA in his last three starts against the Mariners, while Happ is 1-1 with a 2.89 ERA in two against the Twins.

Mike Zunino has struck out in all six of his at-bats against Hughes, and Brian Dozier is 2 for 4 with a home run against Happ.

Minnesota (52-48) needs another strong start from Hughes after Wednesday's 10-4 home loss to Pittsburgh sent it to its second four-game losing streak in the last 10, and another would match a season-worst five-game skid from June 8-13.

Since Hughes last pitched, the staff has a 7.50 ERA with nine home runs allowed and 13 walks, and that's helped waste Aaron Hicks' 9-for-16 run at the plate.

"It's just that time of the year, I guess, where teams start to go into slumps and things just aren't going our way," Hicks said.

Seattle (46-56) has dropped three in a row after Wednesday's 8-2 home loss to Arizona completed the sweep. Over a 5-9 span, the Mariners have a 5.82 ERA from the rotation.

The lineup was without second baseman Robinson Cano, who is day to day with an abdominal strain.

The Twins won two of three in Seattle from April 24-26, giving them five wins in the last six meetings.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Mariners at Twins

GAME 2
Mariners at Twins
Fri, Jul 31 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Mariners at Twins

GAME 4
Mariners at Twins
Sun, Aug 2 - 2:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Angels (55-45) at Astros (57-45)
Venue: Minute Maid Park

With Mike Trout out of the lineup, the Los Angeles Angels haven't had enough to beat the Houston Astros in a pivotal AL West series.

Trout's status is unclear for Thursday night's finale against the Astros, who are hoping for another stellar outing from Houston native Scott Kazmir in his home debut.

A sore left wrist has sidelined Trout the first two games in Houston, and the Angels (55-45) went 2 for 12 with runners in scoring position Wednesday when they plated just one run in the first eight innings of a 6-3 loss Wednesday.

"We're definitely going to err on the side of caution to make sure he's where he needs to be ... it's definitely the type of injury where you would rather give it a couple of more days on this end and not risk a couple of weeks on the back end," manager Mike Scioscia said of his star center fielder, who is batting .315 with an MLB-best 31 homers and 64 RBIs.

Albert Pujols provided a bright spot by reaching 30 homers for the first time since 2012, his first season with the Angels, but the Astros (57-45) moved one game ahead in the division by scoring all of their runs in their final four innings.

They'll try to pad that lead with help from the recently acquired Kazmir (6-5, 2.24 ERA), who is 2-0 with a 0.34 ERA in four starts this month. He went seven innings in a 4-0 win in Kansas City on Friday, one day after he was acquired from Oakland.

"Obviously, the reason we went out and got him is exactly what he did tonight, to give us solid innings," catcher Jason Castro said. "We can't expect him to throw a shutout every time, but that would be nice. That's exactly what we were hoping to get out of him, to have another arm like that in our rotation is going to be huge."

Kazmir yielded one run in 7 1-3 innings in a 3-2 win over Los Angeles on June 21. He went 11-18 with a 5.45 ERA in 37 starts for the Angels - including two in the postseason - from August 2009 until being released in June 2011.

Matt Shoemaker (5-7, 4.55) will try to help his team, losers in five of six, avoid its first sweep of three games or longer in Houston while bolstering his hopes of staying in the rotation.

Shoemaker will likely get bumped to the bullpen when Jered Weaver returns from a hip injury, but he made a good impression by scattering two hits in six innings and fanning a season high-tying 10 in a 7-0 win over Minnesota on July 21.

Shoemaker gave up six runs in three innings - matching the shortest start of his career - in his only matchup with Houston this season, a 6-5 loss May 9. Jose Altuve, 4 for 7 lifetime against Shoemaker, hit the first of three Astros home runs off the right-hander and is batting .406 (28 for 69) in his last 17 games against the Angels.

Jed Lowrie would face Shoemaker for the first time if he makes his return from right thumb surgery as expected Thursday. Lowrie was batting .300 with four homers in 18 games when he was injured April.

Erick Aybar is 7 for 11 with two doubles lifetime versus Kazmir, but Pujols is 1 for 9.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Angels at Astros
Tue, Jul 28 Final 5 to 10
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Angels at Astros
Wed, Jul 29 Final 3 to 6
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
Angels at Astros

Tokens
Preview: Indians (46-54) at Athletics (45-57)
Venue: O.co Coliseum
Date: July 30, 2015 10:05 PM EDT

Based on their activity prior to Friday's trade deadline, neither the Cleveland Indians nor the Oakland Athletics see themselves as serious playoff contenders. However, that won't prevent both from expecting the best from their respective rosters.

After earning a needed victory to conclude a miserable homestand, the Indians try to extend the Athletics' latest rough stretch Thursday night.

Cleveland (46-54) was outscored 37-10 while losing six straight and falling to the bottom of the AL Central before ending its seven-game home stretch with Wednesday's 12-1 rout of Kansas City.

"It was very important for us to get our confidence back," said rookie shortstop Francisco Lindor, had a three-run homer and four RBIs. "We'll take the things we did the right way and try to do it again (Thursday)."

While Corey Kluber went the distance, the Indians matched a season high with 18 hits to snap an eight-game home skid.

"I think we needed it on a number of fronts," manager Terry Francona told MLB's official website. "We needed that. That'll help us."

Though Cleveland traded outfielder David Murphy to the Los Angeles Angels on Tuesday and general manager Chris Antonetti might not be done dealing, he isn't expected to break up the club's starting rotation.

Carlos Carrasco (10-8, 4.26 ERA) leads the team in wins and is 3-0 with a 1.98 ERA in his last four road starts, but he allowed a season-high six runs in four innings of Saturday's 10-3 home loss to the Chicago White Sox.

The right-hander has a 3.27 ERA without a decision in two starts against the A's (45-57) - both in Cleveland - after giving up two runs and striking out seven in seven innings of a 5-4 loss July 11.

Cleveland is 20-32 at home but 26-22 on the road, where it has won eight of 12. The Indians have dropped five of six overall to the A's, but those all came at home.

Oakland carried a three-run lead into the seventh inning at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday before falling 10-7, its fifth loss in six games. While the A's have the second-worst record in the AL and have traded Scott Kazmir, Tyler Clippard and Ben Zobrist over a six-day span, they don't expect their effort to wane.

"Doesn't matter who's out there, who's in the clubhouse, who's not," ace Sonny Gray said. "When the game starts, it's 25 guys out there, and you're just trying to win a baseball game. I don't think that's going to change for us. We're going to go out there and we're going to compete and we're going to battle, and try to win as many games as we can."

Chris Bassitt (0-3, 2.94) gave up two runs in a season-high 6 1-3 innings opposite Carrasco on July 11. The right-hander was sent back to Triple-A Nashville after that game but was recalled Saturday, yielding two runs through six innings of Saturday's 2-1 loss at San Francisco.

Bassitt, whose only major league win came Sept. 22 with the White Sox, has received a combined four runs of support in four starts for Oakland.

Rookie Giovanny Urshela went 2 for 3 with a double against Bassitt this month and has batted .370 in his last eight contests.

Oakland's Josh Reddick, batting .414 in the last nine games, is 5 for 5 with a double and a home run against Carrasco.

Teammate Brett Lawrie was 3 for 23 in the six games prior to going 4 for 5 with a homer and four RBIs on Wednesday.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Indians at Athletics
Thu, Jul 30 - 10:05PM EDT

GAME 2
Indians at Athletics
Fri, Jul 31 - 9:35PM EDT

GAME 3
Indians at Athletics
Sat, Aug 1 - 9:05PM EDT

GAME 4
Indians at Athletics
Sun, Aug 2 - 4:05PM EDT

Tokens
Royals, Blue Jays battle

July 30, 2015

KANSAS CITY ROYALS (61-39) at TORONTO BLUE JAYS (51-51)

First pitch: Thursday, 7:05 p.m. ET
Sportsbook.ag Line: Toronto -130, Kansas City +120, Total: 8.5

The potent Toronto Blue Jays offense looks to outduel the top team in the AL when they host the Kansas City Royals on Thursday night.

The Royals are well on their way to proving they are no one-hit wonders after an amazing run to the World Series last year and they currently hold a commanding nine-game lead in the AL Central. The All-Star break allowed them to reload and they have come out hot with a 9-5 record since July 17th.

Most recently they took 2-of-3 from the Indians on the road, but failed to get the sweep on Wednesday with a big 12-1 defeat as the pitching staff gave up 18 hits; four of those leaving the park. With his third multi-hit game in a row, 1B Eric Hosmer (.315) continued to hit at a torrid pace, and since the break is 22-for-48 (.458) with three homers, 10 RBIs and nine runs.

Looking at the Blue Jays lineup, many would assume they were on pace to get into the postseason, but their pitching has held them back and they just clawed their way back to .500 after Wednesday’s victory. They’ve gone 6-5 since the break and were able to get the split against the Phillies in the short two-game set after an 8-2 win on Wednesday.

The offense was just 4-for-13 with RISP, but had 16 hits with five going for extra bases. SS Troy Tulowitzki (.305) made a big splash in his debut, going 3-for-5 with two doubles, a homer, three RBIs and three runs and should give this club an embarrassment of riches on this side of the ball.

The pitching matchup will put LHP Danny Duffy (4-4, 4.03 ERA) up against RHP Marco Estrada (7-6, 3.55 ERA) of the host Blue Jays. Wednesday’s loss took Kansas City’s road record to 27-21 as the head to the dome in Toronto where they Jays are 29-20 in 2015.

This matchup has been extremely even in the past three years with the two clubs splitting 16 games (8-8) played as Toronto holds a very slight 4-3 edge at home in that time. They did meet in Kansas City once already this year and the Royals took 2-of-3 in that series while grabbing the rubber-match in a barn burner by a score of 11-10.

Trends show that Kansas City is 43-22 (.662) against right-handed starters this year as the Blue Jays are 6-1 when on a streak of hitting a homer in 10 consecutive games in the past three seasons.

OF Alex Gordon (Groin) continues to dot the injury report while on the DL for the Royals as 2B Devon Travis (Shoulder) is listed as questionable for Toronto.

Duffy certainly has the talent to be successful at the highest level, but his stats are showing a regression for the 26-year-old as his .239 BABIP from a year ago is balancing out while his strikeouts continue to drop. He has seen the number of batters that he whiffs go down in each of the past three seasons and the trend has continued with a career-low 5.7 K/9 on the year. His control (3.4 BB/9) has not been too great either as he leaves just 73.9% of runners on base.

Despite having a mere eight strikeouts in 26.1 innings over his last four outings, Duffy has been able to lead his team to four consecutive wins with a quality start each time. He’s seen this Toronto group three times in his career and has not fared well, going 1-2 with a 5.52 ERA (1.98 WHIP), but did great (6 IP, 0 ER, 4 H, 0 K) in a win earlier this month. The duo of OF Jose Bautista and C Russell Martin have combined to go 7-for-12 with three RBI against the young lefty, while on the other hand, both 1B Edwin Encarnacion and 3B Josh Donaldson are hitless in their nine total at-bats.

The Royals bullpen has been dominant once again, going 21-5 with a 2.19 ERA (1.07 WHIP) and is 34-for-47 (72%) in save opportunities. Greg Holland (3.13 ERA, 22 saves) has struggled of late with three runs allowed on seven hits over his last four outings (4 IP).

Estrada is an underrated pitcher in the big leagues as he aims for his third season in the past four years with a sub-3.00 ERA. With that said, he is moving in the wrong direction with both his career-low strikeouts (7.1 K/9) and worst control (2.9 BB/9) since 2010 when he pitched a meager 11.1 innings. One thing you can expect when Estrada is on the mound is for opposing hitters having a good chance at going yard with his 1.35 HR/9 career mark.

In 2015, he is doing better in that aspect of the game, but is still allowing 1.00 HR/9. His last five outings have resulted in a poor 15:9 K/BB ratio over 26 IP with a record of 2-3. The 32-year-old has met with Kansas City just once in his career and he took a loss despite pitching a solid game (6.2 IP, 2 ER, 9 H, 2 K). In his limited at-bats, hot hitting 1B Eric Hosmer owned Estrada, going 3-for-3, as 2B Omar Infante (0-for-7) and 3B Mike Moustakas (0-for-4) have struggled in the matchup.

The relievers for Toronto have gone 12-19 with a 3.40 ERA (1.12 WHIP) and are successful in 16-of-32 (50%) save attempts. Roberto Osuna (2.23 ERA, 5 Saves) has an 8:1 K/BB ratio in his last five appearances (5.1 IP) and is 5-for-6 in his save chances.

Tokens
MLB

Dunkel

Thursday, July 30

Washington @ Miami

Game 951-952
July 30, 2015 @ 12:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Washington
(Scherzer) 15.985
Miami
(Haren) 13.204
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Washington
by 2 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Washington
6 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Washington
(-185); Under

San Diego @ NY Mets

Game 953-954
July 30, 2015 @ 12:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
San Diego
(Cashner) 14.004
NY Mets
(Niese) 16.027
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
NY Mets
by 2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
NY Mets
Dunkel Pick:
NY Mets
(-115); Under

Atlanta @ Philadelphia

Game 955-956
July 30, 2015 @ 7:05 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Atlanta
(Miller) 15.119
Philadelphia
(Harang) 13.740
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Atlanta
by 1 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Atlanta
No Line
N/A
Dunkel Pick:
Atlanta
N/A

Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati

Game 957-958
July 30, 2015 @ 7:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Pittsburgh
(Burnett) 15.110
Cincinnati
(Holmberg) 16.099
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Cincinnati
by 1
9 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Pittsburgh
No Line
N/A
Dunkel Pick:
Cincinnati
N/A

Colorado @ St. Louis

Game 959-960
July 30, 2015 @ 7:15 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Colorado
(Rusin) 11.681
St. Louis
(Martinez) 15.331
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
St. Louis
by 3 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
St. Louis
7 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
St. Louis
(-245); Over

Chicago Cubs @ Milwaukee

Game 961-962
July 30, 2015 @ 8:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Chicago Cubs
(Arrieta) 16.710
Milwaukee
(Nelson) 15.214
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Chicago Cubs
by 1 1/2
8 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Chicago Cubs
Dunkel Pick:
Chicago Cubs
(-140); Over

Kansas City @ Toronto

Game 963-964
July 30, 2015 @ 7:07 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Kansas City
(Duffy) 16.831
Toronto
(Estrada) 15.715
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Kansas City
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Toronto
8 1/2
Dunkel Pick:
Kansas City
(+120); Under

Detroit @ Baltimore

Game 965-966
July 30, 2015 @ 7:05 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Detroit
(Simon) 16.044
Baltimore
(Gonzalez) 15.198
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Detroit
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Baltimore
Dunkel Pick:
Detroit
(+145); Under

Chicago White Sox @ Boston

Game 967-968
July 30, 2015 @ 7:10 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Chicago White Sox
(Sale) 13.417
Boston
(Wright) 18.640
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Boston
by 5
9 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Chicago White Sox
Dunkel Pick:
Boston
(+160); Over

NY Yankees @ Texas

Game 969-970
July 30, 2015 @ 8:05 pm

Dunkel Rating:
NY Yankees
(Pineda) 15.457
Texas
(Gallardo) 16.352
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Texas
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
NY Yankees
Dunkel Pick:
Texas
(+120); Over

LA Angels @ Houston

Game 971-972

Dunkel Rating:
LA Angels
(Shoemaker) 14.671
Houston
(Kazmir) 17.707
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Houston
by 3
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Houston
Dunkel Pick:
Houston
(-155); Under

Seattle @ Minnesota

Game 973-974

Dunkel Rating:
Seattle
(Happ) 13.385
Minnesota
(Hughes) 14.818
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Minnesota
by 1 1/2
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Minnesota
Dunkel Pick:
Minnesota
(-145); Under

Cleveland @ Oakland

Game 975-976
July 30, 2015 @ 10:05 pm

Dunkel Rating:
Cleveland
(Carrasco) 15.162
Oakland
(Bassitt) 16.044
Dunkel Team:
Dunkel Line:
Dunkel Total:
Oakland
by 1
Vegas Team:
Vegas Line:
Vegas Total:
Cleveland
Dunkel Pick:
Oakland
(+115); Over

Tokens
MLB
Armadillo's Write-Up

Thursday, July 30

National League
Padres @ Mets
Cashner is 2-1, 2.27 in his last five starts (under 2-0-1 in last three).

Niese is 1-1, 4.67 in his last three starts; five of his last seven stayed under.

Padres won five of last seven games with New York; four of last five series games went over total. San Diego is 8-4 in last 12 games; five of their last six stayed under the total. Mets won three of their last four games.

Nationals @ Marlins
Scherzer is 1-2, 4.81 in his last four starts; seven of his last nine went under the total.

Haren is 1-1, 4.25 in his last five starts; six of his last nine stayed under.

Washington lost five of last eight games with Miami; five of last seven in series went over total. Nationals lost seven of last 11 games; over is 6-2-1 in the last nine . Marlins won seven of their last nine at home.

Braves @ Phillies
Miller is 0-5, 4.04 in his last seven starts; his last four all stayed under.

Harang is 0-8, 7.33 in his last eight starts; five of his last six went over.

Braves/Phillies both dumped starting pitchers last night. Atlanta won four of last five series games; over is 4-2-1 in last seven. Braves lost six of last seven games overalll (under 6-1). Phillies won eight of their last ten games.

Pirates @ Reds
Burnett is 1-1, 7.00 in his last three starts; five of his last six went over.

Holmberg is making first '15 start; he is 7-6, 4.40 in 17 AAA starts this year, and is 2-2, 5.08 in six MLB starts over the last 2+ years.

Cincinnati lost four of last seven games; four of its last five stayed under. Pittsburgh won five of last six games, scoring 18 runs in last two; five of their last six went over the total. Reds won eight of last ten series games; last four went over.

Rockies @ Cardinals
Rusin is 0-2, 6.14 in his last five starts; over is 4-2-1 in his last seven.

Martinez is 4-0, 1.29 in his last five starts; his last four stayed under.

Colorado lost five of last seven games with St Louis; three of last four stayed under total. Rockies are 3-5 in last eight games; three of their last four went over total. Cardinals lost Holliday (quad) last night; they lost three of last four games, got blanked last two games- under is 7-0-1 in their last eight.

Cubs @ Brewers
Arrieta is 4-1, 1.72 in his last five starts; his last three stayed under.

Nelson is 5-1, 3.46 in his last six starts.

Cubs lost four of last five games with Milwaukee; six of last eight in seris stayed under total. Chicago lost four of last six games; three of rheir last four went over. Brewers lost six of last eight games; under is 5-0-1 in last six.

American League
Tigers @ Orioles
Simon is 2-3, 9.17 in his last seven starts, five of which went over.
Gonzalez is 3-1, 3.80 in his last four starts; five of his last six went over.
Detroit lost 11 of its last 16 games; five of its last seven games stayed under total. Tigers lost five of last six games with Baltimore; over is 5-2 last seven series games. Orioles won five in a row, allowing seven runs (under is 4-1-1 in their last six games).

White Sox @ Red Sox
Sale is 3-1, 2.41 in his last five starts (under is 3-1-1 in last five).

Wright is 0-3, 7.29 in his last four starts; four of his last five went over.

White Sox won their last seven games; they won last three games with Red Sox, which lost 11 of last 13 games overall-- over is 8-3 in their last 11 games. Five of last six series games went over the total.

Royals @ Blue Jays
Duffy is 2-0, 1.37 in his last four starts; his last five stayed under.

Escobar is 2-3, 4.50 in his last five starts; four of his last six stayed under.

Royals won eight of last 12 games overall (under 6-2-1 last nine); KC is 6-4 in its last ten games with Toronto. Blue Jays are 3-4 in last seven games; four of their last five games went over.

Bronx @ Rangers
Pineda is 0-2, 6.94 in his last two starts; four of his last five stayed under.

Gallardo is 0-3, 6.52 in his last four starts; six of his last eight stayed under.

Bronx won ten of last 13 games (five of last seven went over); they lost five of last seven games with Texas, allowing 45 runs (under 9-4 in last 13). Rangers lost three of last four games, outscored 42-19 (over 7-4 in last eleven).

Angels @ Astros
Shoemaker is 1-1, 2.08 in his last three starts; under is 3-0-1 in his last four.

Kazmir tossed seven shutout innings in his Houston debut; he is 2-0, 0.68 in his last four starts-- five of his last six stayed under.

Halos lost five of last six games overall; nine of their last eleven away games went over total. Astros won seven of last nine games; four of their last seven stayed under total. Angels split last six games with Houston; seven of last 11 series games stayed under. Trout missed the last two nights (wrist).

Mariners @ Twins
Happ is 0-0, 7.11 in his last three starts; five of his last seven went over.

Hughes is 5-0, 2.44 in his last seven starts (over 4-2-1).

Seattle lost five of last six game with Minnesota; five of last seven in series stayed under total. Mariners lost last three games, allowing 20 runs; over is 4-1-1 in their last six. Twins lost last four games,, allowing 33 runs; their last five games all went over the total.

Indians @ A's
Carrasco is 0-2, 6.00 in his last four starts; his last six went over.

Bassitt is 0-3, 2.74 in his four starts (under 3-1); Oakland scored eight runs in the four games. .

Indians lost last six games, outscored 37-10; seven of their last ten games went over. Tribe lost five of last six games with Oakland; five of last six in series went over total. Oakland lost five of last six games (three of last four stayed under).

Win-loss records this year for team with this starting pitcher:
Wsh-Mia-- Scherzer 11-9; Haren 10-10
SD-NY-- Cashner 7-12; Niese 7-12
Atl-Phil-- Miller 9-11; Harang 5-12
Pitt-Cin-- Burnett 12-8; Holmberg 0-0
Colo-StL-- Rusin 2-7; Martinez 15-3
Chi-Mil-- Arrieta 12-8; Nelson 9-11

KC-Tor-- Duffy 9-5; Estrada 7-8
Det-Balt-- Simon 11-8; Gonzalez 11-7
Chi-Bos-- Sale 12-7; Wright 1-5
NY-Tex-- Pineda 11-8; Gallardo 10-11
LA-Hst-- Shoemaker 9-8; Kazmir 9-10 (1-0 Hst)
Sea-Minn-- Happ 7-12; Hughes 11-9
Clev-A's-- Carrasco 11-9; Bassitt 1-3

Times this starting pitcher allowed a run in first inning:
Wsh-Mia-- Scherzer 3-20; Haren 2-20
SD-NY-- Cashner 4-20; Niese 7-19
Atl-Phil-- Miller 3-20; Harang 6-17
Pitt-Cin-- Burnett 4-20; Holmberg 0-0
Colo-StL-- Rusin 3-9; Martinez 2-18
Chi-Mil-- Arrieta 4-20; Nelson 7-20

KC-Tor-- Duffy 2-14; Estrada 2-15
Det-Balt-- Simon 3-19; Gonzalez 3-18
Chi-Bos-- Sale 6-19; Wright 2-6
NY-Tex-- Pineda 7-19; Gallardo 7-21
LA-Hst-- Shoemaker 4-17; Kazmir 3-19
Sea-Minn-- Happ 7-19; Hughes 5-20
Clev-A's-- Carrasco 10-20; Bassitt 0-4

Tokens
MLB

Thursday, July 30

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trend Report
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12:10 PM
WASHINGTON vs. MIAMI
Washington is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games
Washington is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Miami's last 9 games at home
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Miami's last 7 games when playing Washington

12:10 PM
SAN DIEGO vs. NY METS
San Diego is 3-8 SU in its last 11 games when playing on the road against NY Mets
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of San Diego's last 6 games when playing on the road against NY Mets
The total has gone OVER in 4 of NY Mets's last 5 games when playing San Diego
NY Mets are 2-5 SU in its last 7 games when playing San Diego

7:05 PM
DETROIT vs. BALTIMORE
The total has gone OVER in 16 of Detroit's last 21 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Detroit's last 6 games when playing Baltimore
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Baltimore's last 6 games
Baltimore is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games

7:05 PM
ATLANTA vs. PHILADELPHIA
Atlanta is 7-3 SU in its last 10 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Atlanta's last 6 games on the road
Philadelphia is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Philadelphia's last 5 games when playing at home against Atlanta

7:07 PM
KANSAS CITY vs. TORONTO
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Kansas City's last 6 games
Kansas City is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Toronto's last 7 games when playing at home against Kansas City
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Toronto's last 5 games at home

7:10 PM
CHI WHITE SOX vs. BOSTON
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Chi White Sox's last 5 games
Chi White Sox are 5-0 SU in their last 5 games
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Boston's last 6 games when playing Chi White Sox
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Boston's last 5 games

7:10 PM
PITTSBURGH vs. CINCINNATI
Pittsburgh is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Cincinnati
The total has gone OVER in 8 of Pittsburgh's last 12 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Cincinnati's last 5 games
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Cincinnati's last 6 games when playing Pittsburgh

7:15 PM
COLORADO vs. ST. LOUIS
The total has gone UNDER in 15 of Colorado's last 18 games when playing on the road against St. Louis
Colorado is 1-7 SU in its last 8 games when playing on the road against St. Louis
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of St. Louis's last 5 games at home
St. Louis is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games when playing Colorado

8:05 PM
NY YANKEES vs. TEXAS
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of NY Yankees's last 8 games when playing on the road against Texas
NY Yankees are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games
Texas is 2-12 SU in its last 14 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 11 of Texas's last 15 games when playing NY Yankees

8:10 PM
SEATTLE vs. MINNESOTA
Seattle is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Minnesota
Seattle is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games
Minnesota is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Seattle
Minnesota is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games

CHI CUBS vs. MILWAUKEE
Chi Cubs are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games when playing Milwaukee
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Chi Cubs's last 8 games when playing Milwaukee
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Milwaukee's last 6 games
Milwaukee is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games

LA ANGELS vs. HOUSTON
LA Angels are 1-5 SU in their last 6 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of LA Angels's last 5 games
Houston is 7-2 SU in its last 9 games
Houston is 7-1 SU in their last 8 games when playing at home against LA Angels

10:05 PM
CLEVELAND vs. OAKLAND
The total has gone OVER in 8 of Cleveland's last 11 games
Cleveland is 8-4 SU in its last 12 games on the road
Oakland is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing Cleveland
Oakland is 7-3 SU in its last 10 games when playing at home against Cleveland

Tokens
MLB

Thursday, July 30

Why baseball bettors should pay attention to heat and humidity

Pitching matchups, home field advantage, current form. These are the types of angles that even the most novice of baseball bettors consider before walking to the window to plunk down a chunk of cash with the hopes of a profitable return.

However, as the gambler’s level of sophistication increases, so too does his or her attention to detail when it comes to handicapping the matchup in question. Ballpark factors are integral in evaluating totals, while lefty/righty splits, line movements and situational analysis serve as important tools in gaining an edge when working to identify a potential winning wager.

You’ll sometimes encounter the phrase, “Paralysis by over analysis,” which simply implies that one can suffer adverse consequences from too much research. But one important key for all bettors, no matter the sport, should be to invest as much time in studying the game as much as possible, as long as that time is dedicated to sifting through the information that truly matters. The color of the road team’s jerseys means nothing.

Additionally, a piece of information such as, “The Chicago Bears are 0-7 ATS on Monday night football over the last 20 years,” could, on its face, appear to serve as a valuable slice of intel…right up until you realize that the Bears haven’t played on Monday night in 15 years. What does Chicago’s roster from 2002 have to do with Chicago’s roster in 2015?

That’s preciously where we come into play.

Today’s lesson/science experiment (gasp!) focuses on the influence weather, specifically heat and humidity, has on a baseball. We all know that centerfield gusts at Wrigley Field will lead to a longer ball flight, just as the higher elevation in Denver will also aid in carrying a baseball further through the air.

But what about heat and humidity and how these two weather factors affect a ball’s flight and trajectory?

The answer is relatively simple to regurgitate from any seventh grade science book: As air warms, it expands, which in turn lowers the air’s density while paving the way for a baseball to travel longer distances. The same can be said as it relates to humidity, as air with a higher dew point is less dense, meaning baseballs will travel further in higher humidity if all other factors are considered equal.

Simply put, the higher the temperature and/or humidity, the farther a baseball will travel. The good news here is that you don’t need to invest in meteorology lessons in order to improve your skills as a baseball bettor, as websites like Weather.com, AccuWeather.com and Baseball-Weather.com, among others, have all the information you need at just the few clicks of a mouse.

As we transition from rudimentary science back to gambling (hoorah!), the first element to consider is the fact that of the 30 ballparks that comprise Major League Baseball locales, one (Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida) is a fixed roof dome stadium while six others (Chase Field in Phoenix, Marlins Park in Miami, Miller Park in Milwaukee, Minute Maid Park in Houston, Rogers Centre in Toronto and Safeco Field in Seattle) feature retractable roofs. That means when the temperatures and humidity get too high in any of these seven cities, the likelihood is great that the game will be played indoors and away from the elements, which leaves us with 23 stadiums left to evaluate.

The next item on our checklist is to create an adequate sample size, but one that attempts to eliminate the “Steroid era” in Major League Baseball, as run production was at an all-time high during this period of time, which was vastly different than what we watch on television today. So with that in mind, we’ll use 2010 through the end of last week as our sample size.

Using the above parameters, here’s what we discovered:

WHEN TEMPERAUTRES RANGE FROM 95-99 DEGREES

Home teams: 86-63 (.577)
Total runs scored per game: 9.9

WHEN TEMPERATURES RANGE FROM 100-104 DEGREES

Home teams: 36-23 (.610)
Total runs scored per game: 10.2

WHEN TEMPERATURES RANGE FROM 105 DEGREES AND UP

Home teams: 5-3 (.625)
Total runs scored per game: 11.5

A cursory first glance at this data would likely indicate that home teams tend to fair better and produce more profitable results when playing in hotter weather. However, when you factor in the juice that is associated with most of these home favorites, the profit margins quickly decrease. So employing the simple strategy of backing home teams in hot weather is not something that we would advise.

However, it is absolutely worth noting the total number of runs produced in games with hotter temperatures. Compare what you see above to the average number of runs scored per game during this time frame:

2010: 8.76 runs/game
2011: 8.56 runs/game
2012: 8.65 runs/game
2013: 8.33 runs/game
2014: 8.13 runs/game

Combine those five years and you get an average of just 8.48 runs per game, which is a full three runs shy of the average runs scored in games with temperatures of 105 degrees or higher during the same time span. Additionally, you’ll note that games in the range of 95-99 degrees produce an average of 1.5 more runs per game while matchups in the range of 100-104 degrees produce an average of 1.74 more runs per outing.

As Stephen Hawking once famously said, “Science is not only a disciple of reason, but also one of romance and passion.”

In this instance it appears as if we are able to take our romance and passion surrounding baseball wagering and, combined with a science lesson in weather, determine yet another significant angle to consider when attempting to defeat the sports books.

Tokens
MLB
Long Sheet

Thursday, July 30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON (53 - 46) at MIAMI (42 - 59) - 12:10 PM
MAX SCHERZER (R) vs. DAN HAREN (R)
Top Trends for this game.
WASHINGTON is 8-14 (-10.0 Units) against the money line in road games when playing against a team with a losing record this season.
MIAMI is 50-39 (+17.7 Units) against the money line at home when the total is 7 or less over the last 3 seasons.
MIAMI is 364-414 (+44.6 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season since 1997.
SCHERZER is 32-9 (+18.7 Units) against the money line against division opponents over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
SCHERZER is 23-6 (+16.1 Units) against the money line after a win over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
MIAMI is 42-59 (-16.1 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
MIAMI is 42-56 (-13.1 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
MIAMI is 32-46 (-13.8 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
MIAMI is 21-37 (-14.1 Units) against the money line after a loss this season.
HAREN is 186-184 (-40.1 Units) against the money line in all games since 1997. (Team's Record)
HAREN is 65-82 (-40.0 Units) against the money line against division opponents since 1997. (Team's Record)
HAREN is 173-177 (-46.0 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field since 1997. (Team's Record)

Head-to-Head Series History
MIAMI is 5-3 (+3.0 Units) against WASHINGTON this season
5 of 8 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+2.2 Units)

MAX SCHERZER vs. MIAMI since 1997
SCHERZER is 1-0 when starting against MIAMI with an ERA of 5.54 and a WHIP of 1.385.
His team's record is 2-0 (+2.0 units) in these starts. The OVER is 1-1. (+0.1 units)

DAN HAREN vs. WASHINGTON since 1997
HAREN is 4-2 when starting against WASHINGTON with an ERA of 2.14 and a WHIP of 0.907.
His team's record is 5-2 (+2.2 units) in these starts. The OVER is 3-4. (-1.5 units)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAN DIEGO (48 - 53) at NY METS (52 - 49) - 12:10 PM
ANDREW CASHNER (R) vs. JON NIESE (L)
SAN DIEGO is 17-38 (-19.2 Units) against the money line in road games after a win over the last 2 seasons.
NY METS are 131-132 (+5.9 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
NY METS are 35-17 (+15.8 Units) against the money line in home games this season.
NY METS are 42-33 (+15.6 Units) against the money line in July games over the last 3 seasons.
NY METS are 24-9 (+15.8 Units) against the money line in day games this season.
NY METS are 35-17 (+15.8 Units) against the money line in home games in games played on a grass field this season.
NY METS are 30-13 (+14.8 Units) against the money line in home games against right-handed starters this season.
NY METS are 21-8 (+11.5 Units) against the money line in home games when playing against a team with a losing record this season.
NY METS are 30-14 (+15.0 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record in the second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
NIESE is 11-2 (+9.6 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record in the second half of the season over the last 3 seasons. (Team's Record)

SAN DIEGO is 3-2 (+0.9 Units) against NY METS this season
4 of 5 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+3.1 Units)

ANDREW CASHNER vs. NY METS since 1997
CASHNER is 0-2 when starting against NY METS with an ERA of 7.59 and a WHIP of 1.968.
His team's record is 0-2 (-2.3 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 0-2. (-2.5 units)

JON NIESE vs. SAN DIEGO since 1997
NIESE is 3-2 when starting against SAN DIEGO with an ERA of 2.04 and a WHIP of 0.934.
His team's record is 3-2 (+1.2 units) in these starts. The OVER is 2-2. (-0.2 units)

ATLANTA (46 - 55) at PHILADELPHIA (38 - 64) - 7:05 PM
SHELBY MILLER (R) vs. AARON HARANG (R)
There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

ATLANTA is 5-4 (+0.3 Units) against PHILADELPHIA this season
4 of 8 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+0.1 Units)

SHELBY MILLER vs. PHILADELPHIA since 1997
MILLER is 3-1 when starting against PHILADELPHIA with an ERA of 2.03 and a WHIP of 0.975.
His team's record is 4-2 (+1.3 units) in these starts. The OVER is 2-4. (-2.2 units)

AARON HARANG vs. ATLANTA since 1997
HARANG is 3-3 when starting against ATLANTA with an ERA of 3.58 and a WHIP of 1.344.
His team's record is 7-6 (+2.7 units) in these starts. The OVER is 6-6. (-0.5 units)

PITTSBURGH (59 - 41) at CINCINNATI (45 - 54) - 7:10 PM
JEFF LOCKE (L) vs. DAVID HOLMBERG (L)
There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

CINCINNATI is 7-2 (+7.2 Units) against PITTSBURGH this season
6 of 8 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+4.3 Units)

JEFF LOCKE vs. CINCINNATI since 1997
LOCKE is 2-2 when starting against CINCINNATI with an ERA of 3.26 and a WHIP of 1.404.
His team's record is 5-4 (+1.2 units) in these starts. The OVER is 4-5. (-1.4 units)

DAVID HOLMBERG vs. PITTSBURGH since 1997
No recent starts.

COLORADO (43 - 56) at ST LOUIS (64 - 37) - 7:15 PM
CHRIS RUSIN (L) vs. CARLOS MARTINEZ (R)
COLORADO is 109-152 (-37.0 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
COLORADO is 40-89 (-37.9 Units) against the money line in road games over the last 2 seasons.
COLORADO is 211-285 (-81.6 Units) against the money line in July games since 1997.
COLORADO is 109-152 (-37.0 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
COLORADO is 65-106 (-38.7 Units) against the money line in night games over the last 2 seasons.
COLORADO is 28-67 (-32.0 Units) against the money line in road games against right-handed starters over the last 2 seasons.
COLORADO is 23-58 (-28.5 Units) against the money line in road games after a loss over the last 2 seasons.
COLORADO is 14-42 (-21.7 Units) against the money line in road games when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons.
COLORADO is 3-20 (-15.3 Units) against the money line in road games when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
ST LOUIS is 64-37 (+20.2 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
ST LOUIS is 37-15 (+16.1 Units) against the money line in home games this season.
ST LOUIS is 64-37 (+20.2 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
ST LOUIS is 44-26 (+13.9 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
ST LOUIS is 118-67 (+38.8 Units) against the money line after a loss over the last 3 seasons.
MARTINEZ is 15-3 (+11.4 Units) against the money line in all games this season. (Team's Record)
MARTINEZ is 15-3 (+11.4 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season. (Team's Record)

COLORADO is 2-1 (+1.4 Units) against ST LOUIS this season
2 of 3 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+0.7 Units)

CHRIS RUSIN vs. ST LOUIS since 1997
RUSIN is 1-0 when starting against ST LOUIS with an ERA of 0.00 and a WHIP of 1.500.
His team's record is 1-0 (+2.0 units) in these starts. The OVER is 0-1. (-1.0 units)

CARLOS MARTINEZ vs. COLORADO since 1997
MARTINEZ is 1-0 when starting against COLORADO with an ERA of 2.84 and a WHIP of 1.422.
His team's record is 1-0 (+1.0 units) in these starts. The OVER is 0-1. (-1.0 units)

CHICAGO CUBS (53 - 47) at MILWAUKEE (44 - 58) - 8:10 PM
JAKE ARRIETA (R) vs. JIMMY NELSON (R)
CHICAGO CUBS are 1440-1600 (-283.9 Units) against the money line in all games since 1997.
CHICAGO CUBS are 1383-1513 (-258.7 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field since 1997.
CHICAGO CUBS are 1056-1192 (-220.3 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters since 1997.
CHICAGO CUBS are 78-115 (-35.7 Units) against the money line after a win over the last 3 seasons.
CHICAGO CUBS are 22-25 (-11.6 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record this season.
CHICAGO CUBS are 13-5 (+9.1 Units) against the money line on the road when the total is 7 or less this season.
CHICAGO CUBS are 35-25 (+9.4 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
MILWAUKEE is 44-58 (-13.5 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
MILWAUKEE is 20-29 (-12.8 Units) against the money line in home games this season.
MILWAUKEE is 68-88 (-31.9 Units) against the money line in home games when playing on Thursday since 1997.
MILWAUKEE is 44-58 (-13.5 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
MILWAUKEE is 32-49 (-17.3 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
MILWAUKEE is 61-75 (-20.0 Units) against the money line after a loss over the last 2 seasons.

MILWAUKEE is 4-2 (+3.0 Units) against CHICAGO CUBS this season
4 of 6 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+1.8 Units)

JAKE ARRIETA vs. MILWAUKEE since 1997
ARRIETA is 2-3 when starting against MILWAUKEE with an ERA of 3.22 and a WHIP of 0.991.
His team's record is 2-4 (-3.2 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 5-1. (+3.8 units)

JIMMY NELSON vs. CHICAGO CUBS since 1997
NELSON is 0-3 when starting against CHICAGO CUBS with an ERA of 5.63 and a WHIP of 1.333.
His team's record is 1-3 (-2.6 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 2-2. (-0.1 units)

KANSAS CITY (61 - 39) at TORONTO (51 - 51) - 7:05 PM
DANNY DUFFY (L) vs. MARCO ESTRADA (R)
TORONTO is 36-17 (+16.6 Units) against the money line in home games when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons.
KANSAS CITY is 61-39 (+20.9 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
KANSAS CITY is 27-17 (+12.9 Units) against the money line as a road underdog of +100 to +125 over the last 2 seasons.
KANSAS CITY is 27-21 (+8.7 Units) against the money line in road games this season.
KANSAS CITY is 40-27 (+10.9 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
KANSAS CITY is 43-22 (+19.6 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
KANSAS CITY is 23-13 (+10.2 Units) against the money line after a loss this season.
TORONTO is 21-29 (-11.7 Units) against the money line after a win this season.

KANSAS CITY is 2-1 (+1.1 Units) against TORONTO this season
1 of 2 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=-0.1 Units, Under=-0.1 Units)

DANNY DUFFY vs. TORONTO since 1997
DUFFY is 1-2 when starting against TORONTO with an ERA of 5.52 and a WHIP of 1.977.
His team's record is 1-2 (-1.1 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 1-1. (-0.2 units)

MARCO ESTRADA vs. KANSAS CITY since 1997
ESTRADA is 0-1 when starting against KANSAS CITY with an ERA of 2.70 and a WHIP of 1.499.
His team's record is 0-1 (-1.2 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 1-0. (+1.0 units)

DETROIT (49 - 52) at BALTIMORE (51 - 49) - 7:05 PM
ALFREDO SIMON (R) vs. MIGUEL GONZALEZ (R)
DETROIT is 139-127 (-13.3 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
DETROIT is 229-194 (-26.4 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 3 seasons.
DETROIT is 24-35 (-13.6 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
DETROIT is 34-43 (-11.7 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
BALTIMORE is 151-119 (+35.4 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
BALTIMORE is 32-19 (+10.4 Units) against the money line in home games this season.
BALTIMORE is 32-18 (+15.2 Units) against the money line when playing on Thursday over the last 3 seasons.
BALTIMORE is 31-18 (+10.3 Units) against the money line in home games in games played on a grass field this season.
BALTIMORE is 103-73 (+32.3 Units) against the money line in night games over the last 2 seasons.
BALTIMORE is 112-89 (+26.4 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters over the last 2 seasons.
BALTIMORE is 14-5 (+9.8 Units) against the money line after shutting out their opponent over the last 2 seasons.
BALTIMORE is 83-66 (+17.7 Units) against the money line after a win over the last 2 seasons.
BALTIMORE is 25-14 (+9.9 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record this season.
BALTIMORE is 27-11 (+16.1 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record in the second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
GONZALEZ is 16-6 (+11.4 Units) against the money line when the total is 9 to 9.5 since 1997. (Team's Record)
DETROIT is 42-30 (+12.0 Units) against the money line in road games after a win over the last 2 seasons.
SIMON is 31-21 (+13.4 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
SIMON is 31-21 (+13.4 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
SIMON is 18-5 (+15.1 Units) against the money line after a win over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
BALTIMORE is 21-32 (-15.9 Units) against the money line after 3 or more consecutive wins over the last 3 seasons.

BALTIMORE is 2-1 (+1.3 Units) against DETROIT this season
2 of 3 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+1.0 Units)

ALFREDO SIMON vs. BALTIMORE since 1997
No recent starts.

MIGUEL GONZALEZ vs. DETROIT since 1997
GONZALEZ is 1-2 when starting against DETROIT with an ERA of 7.65 and a WHIP of 1.950.
His team's record is 2-2 (+0.2 units) in these starts. The OVER is 3-1. (+1.9 units)

CHI WHITE SOX (49 - 50) at BOSTON (44 - 58) - 7:10 PM
CHRIS SALE (L) vs. STEVEN WRIGHT (R)
CHI WHITE SOX are 16-8 (+10.8 Units) against the money line in July games this season.
CHI WHITE SOX are 31-25 (+7.5 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
CHI WHITE SOX are 542-572 (+39.8 Units) against the money line in road games against right-handed starters since 1997.
CHI WHITE SOX are 378-375 (+40.3 Units) against the money line in road games after a win since 1997.
CHI WHITE SOX are 113-91 (+34.3 Units) against the money line in road games after 3 or more consecutive wins since 1997.
CHI WHITE SOX are 15-9 (+8.8 Units) against the money line in road games when playing against a team with a losing record this season.
CHI WHITE SOX are 7-0 (+9.1 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record in the second half of the season this season.
BOSTON is 44-58 (-22.0 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
BOSTON is 20-30 (-16.0 Units) against the money line when the total is 8 to 8.5 this season.
BOSTON is 24-27 (-11.5 Units) against the money line in home games this season.
BOSTON is 31-36 (-15.1 Units) against the money line at home when the total is 8 to 8.5 over the last 2 seasons.
BOSTON is 8-15 (-8.2 Units) against the money line in July games this season.
BOSTON is 37-52 (-24.3 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
BOSTON is 29-39 (-15.7 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
BOSTON is 9-17 (-10.2 Units) against the money line against left-handed starters this season.
BOSTON is 32-41 (-20.7 Units) against the money line in home games after a loss over the last 2 seasons.
BOSTON is 9-17 (-12.3 Units) against the money line in home games after 3 or more consecutive losses over the last 2 seasons.
BOSTON is 46-55 (-18.9 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record over the last 2 seasons.

CHI WHITE SOX is 3-0 (+3.9 Units) against BOSTON this season
3 of 3 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+3.1 Units)

CHRIS SALE vs. BOSTON since 1997
SALE is 0-0 when starting against BOSTON with an ERA of 1.23 and a WHIP of 0.545.
His team's record is 0-2 (-2.2 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 1-1. (-0.1 units)

STEVEN WRIGHT vs. CHI WHITE SOX since 1997
No recent starts.

NY YANKEES (57 - 43) at TEXAS (48 - 52) - 8:05 PM
MICHAEL PINEDA (R) vs. YOVANI GALLARDO (R)
TEXAS is 48-52 (+11.1 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
TEXAS is 45-48 (+10.7 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
TEXAS is 37-35 (+13.9 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
TEXAS is 32-29 (+11.4 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
TEXAS is 27-18 (+19.4 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
NY YANKEES are 57-43 (+4.9 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
NY YANKEES are 21-8 (+12.7 Units) against the money line when playing on Thursday over the last 2 seasons.
NY YANKEES are 52-38 (+5.3 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
TEXAS is 36-64 (-27.3 Units) against the money line when the total is 9 to 9.5 over the last 2 seasons.
TEXAS is 15-31 (-14.0 Units) against the money line as a home underdog of +100 to +125 over the last 2 seasons.
TEXAS is 17-28 (-10.7 Units) against the money line in home games this season.
TEXAS is 24-53 (-30.9 Units) against the money line at home when the total is 9 to 9.5 over the last 2 seasons.
TEXAS is 14-34 (-20.7 Units) against the money line in July games over the last 2 seasons.
TEXAS is 16-34 (-18.4 Units) against the money line in home games when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season over the last 3 seasons.
GALLARDO is 7-17 (-11.6 Units) against the money line after a win over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)

TEXAS is 4-2 (+4.4 Units) against NY YANKEES this season
3 of 6 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=-0.0 Units, Under=-0.6 Units)

MICHAEL PINEDA vs. TEXAS since 1997
PINEDA is 0-3 when starting against TEXAS with an ERA of 5.04 and a WHIP of 1.160.
His team's record is 0-4 (-5.0 units) in these starts. The OVER is 3-1. (+2.0 units)

YOVANI GALLARDO vs. NY YANKEES since 1997
GALLARDO is 1-1 when starting against NY YANKEES with an ERA of 4.63 and a WHIP of 1.114.
His team's record is 1-1 (+0.5 units) in these starts. The OVER is 1-1. (-0.1 units)

LA ANGELS (55 - 45) at HOUSTON (57 - 45) - 8:10 PM
MATT SHOEMAKER (R) vs. SCOTT KAZMIR (L)
LA ANGELS are 5-24 (-17.2 Units) against the money line as a road underdog of +125 to +150 over the last 3 seasons.
HOUSTON is 57-45 (+8.6 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
HOUSTON is 35-17 (+13.4 Units) against the money line in home games this season.
HOUSTON is 26-17 (+8.3 Units) against the money line against division opponents this season.
HOUSTON is 57-39 (+15.0 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
HOUSTON is 39-28 (+8.5 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
HOUSTON is 36-24 (+12.6 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
HOUSTON is 33-23 (+9.1 Units) against the money line after a win this season.
HOUSTON is 15-6 (+9.4 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
KAZMIR is 25-4 (+18.4 Units) against the money line as a home favorite of -150 to -175 since 1997. (Team's Record)
LA ANGELS are 153-112 (+21.4 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
LA ANGELS are 773-752 (+69.4 Units) against the money line in road games since 1997.
LA ANGELS are 144-107 (+17.1 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
LA ANGELS are 44-30 (+10.5 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
SHOEMAKER is 25-13 (+10.7 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
SHOEMAKER is 15-2 (+14.5 Units) against the money line in road games over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
SHOEMAKER is 6-0 (+6.8 Units) against the money line in road games in games played on a grass field this season. (Team's Record)
SHOEMAKER is 23-10 (+11.7 Units) against the money line in night games over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)

HOUSTON is 7-5 (+2.1 Units) against LA ANGELS this season
7 of 11 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+2.7 Units)

MATT SHOEMAKER vs. HOUSTON since 1997
SHOEMAKER is 1-1 when starting against HOUSTON with an ERA of 8.00 and a WHIP of 1.889.
His team's record is 1-1 (-0.1 units) in these starts. The OVER is 1-1. (-0.1 units)

SCOTT KAZMIR vs. LA ANGELS since 1997
KAZMIR is 3-5 when starting against LA ANGELS with an ERA of 6.42 and a WHIP of 1.574.
His team's record is 3-5 (-2.7 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 4-3. (+0.5 units)

SEATTLE (46 - 56) at MINNESOTA (52 - 48) - 8:10 PM
J.A. HAPP (L) vs. PHIL HUGHES (R)
SEATTLE is 46-56 (-17.0 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
SEATTLE is 147-186 (-53.5 Units) against the money line when playing on Thursday since 1997.
SEATTLE is 41-55 (-21.5 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
SEATTLE is 32-37 (-11.2 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
SEATTLE is 35-40 (-10.9 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
SEATTLE is 20-27 (-9.4 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
MINNESOTA is 52-48 (+14.1 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
MINNESOTA is 32-20 (+14.9 Units) against the money line in home games this season.
MINNESOTA is 52-48 (+14.1 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
MINNESOTA is 27-25 (+8.8 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
MINNESOTA is 26-21 (+10.8 Units) against the money line after a loss this season.
MINNESOTA is 21-14 (+11.3 Units) against the money line after 3 or more consecutive losses over the last 2 seasons.
MINNESOTA is 31-19 (+18.6 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record this season.
HUGHES is 31-21 (+14.6 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
HUGHES is 30-21 (+13.2 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
HUGHES is 17-11 (+9.7 Units) against the money line after a loss over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
HUGHES is 14-3 (+13.0 Units) against the money line after 3 or more consecutive losses since 1997. (Team's Record)
SEATTLE is 70-60 (+16.4 Units) against the money line in road games over the last 2 seasons.
MINNESOTA is 85-105 (-38.1 Units) against the money line in home games when playing on Thursday since 1997.

MINNESOTA is 2-1 (+1.8 Units) against SEATTLE this season
2 of 3 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+0.8 Units)

J.A. HAPP vs. MINNESOTA since 1997
HAPP is 1-1 when starting against MINNESOTA with an ERA of 2.89 and a WHIP of 1.820.
His team's record is 1-1 (-0.8 units) in these starts. The OVER is 1-1. (+0.0 units)

PHIL HUGHES vs. SEATTLE since 1997
HUGHES is 5-4 when starting against SEATTLE with an ERA of 3.23 and a WHIP of 1.255.
His team's record is 6-4 (+0.9 units) in these starts. The OVER is 5-5. (-0.2 units)

CLEVELAND (46 - 54) at OAKLAND (45 - 57) - 10:05 PM
CARLOS CARRASCO (R) vs. CHRIS BASSITT (R)
CLEVELAND is 46-54 (-20.3 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
CLEVELAND is 42-54 (-24.4 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
CLEVELAND is 28-34 (-13.4 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
CLEVELAND is 18-27 (-16.0 Units) against the money line after a win this season.
CLEVELAND is 18-23 (-13.1 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record this season.
CLEVELAND is 66-31 (+25.1 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record in the second half of the season over the last 3 seasons.
OAKLAND is 45-57 (-20.7 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
OAKLAND is 35-48 (-24.8 Units) against the money line when the total is 7 or less over the last 2 seasons.
OAKLAND is 21-29 (-17.5 Units) against the money line in home games this season.
OAKLAND is 24-26 (-13.3 Units) against the money line at home when the total is 7 or less over the last 2 seasons.
OAKLAND is 43-55 (-21.1 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
OAKLAND is 86-81 (-19.2 Units) against the money line in night games over the last 2 seasons.
OAKLAND is 15-19 (-10.8 Units) against the money line in home games against right-handed starters this season.
OAKLAND is 17-25 (-11.2 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record this season.
OAKLAND is 21-21 (-15.7 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a losing record in the second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.

OAKLAND is 2-1 (+1.7 Units) against CLEVELAND this season
2 of 3 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+0.7 Units)

CARLOS CARRASCO vs. OAKLAND since 1997
CARRASCO is 0-0 when starting against OAKLAND with an ERA of 2.57 and a WHIP of 1.000.
His team's record is 0-1 (-1.6 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 0-1. (-1.3 units)

CHRIS BASSITT vs. CLEVELAND since 1997
BASSITT is 0-0 when starting against CLEVELAND with an ERA of 2.84 and a WHIP of 1.264.
His team's record is 1-0 (+1.5 units) in these starts. The OVER is 1-0. (+1.1 units)

Tokens
MLB

Thursday, July 30

Wind out to centerfield at Citi Field Thursday

According to weather forecasts, wind will blow out directly to centerfield at around 13 miles per hour when the New York Mets host the San Diego Padres at Citi Field Thursday afternoon.

Furthermore, there is a small chance of thunderstorms taking place in the later stages of the ball game.

Andrew Cashner is scheduled to start for the Friars (+108) with Jon Niese expected to pitch for the Mets (-117). Books have a total of 7 on the board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com