Cnotes Sports Page For Thursday August 13th Best Bets-Trends-News !

Search

Tokens
2015-16 NBA schedule unveiled

August 12, 2015

Some notes on the 2015-16 NBA schedule, released Wednesday by the league office:

---

RING NIGHT

Golden State gets its championship rings and one more night to revel in last season's accomplishments on Oct. 27, when New Orleans - the team the Warriors swept in the first round of last season's playoffs - visits to complete the NBA's opening-night tripleheader. Detroit at Atlanta and Cleveland at Chicago precede Golden State's banner-raising night, which will be shown on TNT.

---

1 VS 2, AND KOBE TOO

Kobe Bryant's 20th NBA season begins at home Oct. 28, when he and the Los Angeles Lakers play host to the Minnesota Timberwolves. Bryant's first NBA game was against Minnesota on Nov. 3, 1996 (that technically was the Lakers' second game that season; he didn't play in their opener in his rookie year). And it also pits the top two picks in this year's draft, with Minnesota's No. 1 Karl-Anthony Towns and the Lakers' No. 2 D'Angelo Russell. It's Kobe's 20th season, but neither Towns nor Russell will have turned 20 when this game is played.

---

OH, HI

LeBron James gets to play host to his former team only once this season: Miami's lone visit to Cleveland is Oct. 30. (The Cavs go to Miami twice, Dec. 5 and March 19). Also on Oct. 30, Oklahoma City visits Orlando - meaning Thunder coach Billy Donovan will face the Magic franchise that he agreed to coach several years ago but never did, returning instead to the Florida Gators.

---

SENSE OF HUMOR?

ESPN has a doubleheader on Nov. 11 - the Los Angeles Clippers at Dallas, and San Antonio at Portland. The Clippers-Mavs game will mark DeAndre Jordan's first trip to Dallas as an opponent since spurning Mark Cuban's franchise in one of the summer's most memorable soap operas. And the Trail Blazers will get to see LaMarcus Aldridge visit in Spurs' colors for the first time.

---

GLOBAL GAME

There's a pair of regular-season games in non-NBA cities. The league returns to Mexico City on Dec. 3 when Boston plays Sacramento, and goes back to London on Jan. 14 when Orlando meets Toronto. The Kings and the Raptors will be the home teams for those games. (That doesn't count the NBA's preseason games in Vancouver, Milan, Madrid, Winnipeg, Shenzhen, Shanghai, Ottawa, Rio de Janeiro and Montreal.) The Celtics will play games in four countries this season - Spain, Mexico, and of course the United States and Canada.

---

ROUGH START

Utah had a rough offseason, losing Dante Exum to a knee injury. The start of the regular season doesn't seem to shape up as particularly easy for the Jazz, either. They open with 10 of their first 14 away from home, and don't even play back-to-back home games for the first time until the end of November.

---

MERRY CHRISTMAS

The NBA's Christmas Day quintuple-header: New Orleans at Miami, noon (ESPN); Chicago at Oklahoma City, 2:30 p.m. (ABC); Cleveland at Golden State in an NBA Finals rematch, 5 p.m. (ABC); San Antonio at Houston, 8 p.m. (ESPN); Clippers at Lakers, 10:30 p.m. (ESPN). The New York Knicks, who've been in 50 Christmas games going back to the league's very first one in 1947, get the holiday off this year.

---

SPEAKING OF THE FINALS

Golden State's return trip to Cleveland is Jan. 18, part of the league's rundown of games on another showcase holiday - Martin Luther King Day. It'll be Golden State's first time back in Cleveland since clinching the title in Game 6 of last season's NBA Finals. As has become tradition, Atlanta (hosting Orlando) and Memphis (hosting New Orleans) are also among the teams home on MLK Day.

---

SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIALS

ABC is picking up a package of Saturday night games this season, starting Jan. 23 when Chicago goes to Cleveland. Other Saturday-nighters on the network: San Antonio at Cleveland (Jan. 30); Golden State at the Los Angeles Clippers (Feb. 20); Golden State at Oklahoma City (Feb. 27); Houston at Chicago (March 5); Oklahoma City at San Antonio (March 12); Golden State at San Antonio (March 19); and Cleveland at Chicago (April 9). That means a total of only seven teams will be taking part in the eight games, with the Bulls, Cavaliers, Spurs and Warriors all appearing three times.

---

SUPER SUNDAY

There's four games on Feb. 7, Super Bowl Sunday. But all the matchups - Denver at New York, Atlanta at Orlando, the Clippers at Miami and Sacramento at Boston - tip off at either 1, 2 or 3 p.m. Eastern, meaning all the NBA's on-court work that day should be done in plenty of time for kickoff of the NFL's biggest game. (But once again, the NBA has no games on April 4, the night when the NCAA men's basketball champion for 2016 will be crowned.)

---

RODEO TRIP

The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo takes place next year at the AT&T Center from Feb. 11-28, which means that's when the Spurs will get their annual long ... really long road trip. The Spurs play host to the Lakers on Feb. 6, then aren't back home until March 2 against Detroit. In all, eight games (at Miami on Feb. 9, at Orlando on Feb. 10, at the Clippers on Feb. 18, at the Lakers on Feb. 19, at Phoenix on Feb. 21, at Sacramento on Feb. 24, at Utah on Feb. 25 and at Houston on Feb. 27) await the Spurs over that stretch, which also includes the league's All-Star break.

---

CLOSING NIGHT

The regular-season ends April 13, except in the cases of Oklahoma City and New York (they both wrap up their 82-game slates the previous night).

Tokens
Warriors-Cavs rematch set for X-Mas

August 12, 2015

The Golden State Warriors will see an old friend on opening night and LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers in an NBA Finals rematch on Christmas, two of the highlight games of their title defense.

The NBA released its schedule Wednesday, a more player-friendly model that addresses Commissioner Adam Silver's directive for additional player rest by slashing the times teams have to play four times in five nights to an average of one per team.

NBA senior vice president of operations Kiki VanDeWeghe called it the best schedule he had seen, adding that the league was ''very, very mindful of player rest and recuperation, and the idea of putting the best product on the floor each and every night.''

The season begins Oct. 27 with three games, including the Warriors hosting New Orleans, the team they eliminated in the first round before the Pelicans hired Alvin Gentry, who was one of Steve Kerr's assistants last season.

Chicago hosts Cleveland earlier on opening night in its first game under Fred Hoiberg, who was hired after the Bulls fired Tom Thibodeau.

Most teams begin Oct. 28, including the new-look San Antonio Spurs making their debut with LaMarcus Aldridge and David West at Oklahoma City, which could welcome Kevin Durant back to regular-season action after his 2014-15 season was cut short by injury.

Later that night, the top two picks in the June draft square off when No. 1 Karl-Anthony Towns and Minnesota visit the Los Angeles Lakers, who could put No. 2 pick D'Angelo Russell into a backcourt with a returning Kobe Bryant.

The Christmas slate again features five games, with the NBA Finals rematch sandwiched in the middle. Also, Miami hosts New Orleans, Chicago visits Oklahoma City, Houston welcomes San Antonio and the Lakers and Clippers continue their Staples Center rivalry.

The New York Knicks, coming off a 17-65 season, are off on Christmas for the first time since 2008.

The extended All-Star break the NBA introduced last season returns, with a week off around the Feb. 14 game in Toronto, and there are other tweaks that should benefit players.

There are just 27 instances of teams playing four times in five nights, and no team faces more than two four-in-five night stretches. Back-to-backs were also trimmed to an all-time low of less than 18 per team.

The schedule also reduces the distance teams have to travel on the second night of back-to-backs with fewer games that cross time zones on the second half, and overall the total miles traveled per team next season will be down 2 percent.

''I can tell you as a player the ones that used to kill you were the either across the country or across a couple of time zones back-to-back. Those have been reduced significantly, by almost 25 percent,'' VanDeWeghe said.

Following a season in which superstars such as Kobe Bryant, Durant and Carmelo Anthony all missed significant time with injuries, extra space was created in the schedule by having additional games on Thursdays - the lightest night of the week, when TNT hosts a doubleheader - as well as Mondays and Saturdays, when ABC will begin televising a game in January.

''The key message for us in making up the schedule was be mindful of player rest and recuperation, and so that's really a big driving force for us,'' VanDeWeghe said.

Anthony clapped when told of the reduction of four-in-five night stretches.

''To not have to play all these four-in-five night games, I think it's good for the players, I think it's good for the league overall. I think it's good for the fans, too,'' the Knicks All-Star said.

A reunion night of sorts was set up on Nov. 11, when Aldridge returns to Portland for the first time since signing with the Spurs, and the Clippers visit Dallas, where DeAndre Jordan had verbally committed to play before deciding to remain in Los Angeles.

The Martin Luther King Jr. Day schedule, like Christmas always one of the league's strongest, features the Warriors' first trip to Cleveland since winning the NBA title in Game 6, and the Clippers hosting Houston, the team they blew a 3-1 lead against in the Western Conference semifinals.

The Warriors and Cavaliers have a league-high 25 appearances on national TV.

Tokens
LeBron: Health will determine Olympic plans

August 12, 2015

LAS VEGAS (AP) LeBron James said Wednesday his health and his family will determine whether he tries for a record third basketball Olympic gold medal next summer.

James took part in USA Basketball's minicamp, satisfying chairman Jerry Colangelo's mandate that anyone wanting to be considered for the 2016 roster show up this week in Las Vegas.

James suited up in a No. 27 jersey and worked out, though he won't play in the Americans' intrasquad exhibition Thursday because of a previous commitment back in Ohio.

The Cleveland Cavaliers All-Star could join Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul as the only three-time gold medalists, and he and Anthony would be the first American men to appear in four Olympics. James says he's ''not penciling it in, as of now, for next summer'' and that his decision may not come until after next season.

''All my decisions go through my family. We'll see how my family feels about it,'' James said. ''And then with my health, going another NBA campaign season, as far as my team back home in Cleveland, and I'll go from there.''

He first played for the Americans in the 2004 Olympics, when he and Anthony were part of the disappointing bronze medalists following their rookie seasons. That duo and Paul, all close friends, are the only players in camp this week who competed in both 2008 and 2012, and could decide together whether they will try to make history.

''It'll probably be a joint decision,'' James said. ''Pretty much everything that we do, for the most part, especially with Team USA, we kind of do together. We'll see what happens.''

James also played with the Americans in the 2006 world basketball championship and the 2007 Olympic qualifying tournament. He said he enjoyed being back Wednesday and reconnecting with coaches and teammates.

''LeBron's made an amazing commitment to our country's basketball program, huge positive impact besides just winning,'' U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski said.

But all that basketball, plus his four straight trips to the NBA Finals, have put a heavy workload on the 30-year-old James. The Cavaliers will be favorites to get back to the finals next season, and James may feel he needs rest more than another medal.

For now, he's done what is necessary to give himself the option if he wants it.

''I'm not penciling it in, as of now, for next summer. But this is the start of the process for all of us,'' James said. ''There's 34 guys here. When you're a part of Team USA, you represent your country, this is all a part of the process.

''I've given everything to the NBA. I've given it all to USAB as well. If I'm fortunate enough, if I'm healthy enough and my family is willing to allow me be a part of it, it'd be great. ... We'll see where I'm at after the season.''

Tokens
Jordan in court for trial on his brand

August 11, 2015

CHICAGO (AP) Former Chicago Bull Michael Jordan was in a federal courtroom Tuesday for the start of a civil trial that will scrutinize the basketball star's market value and look at whether a grocery-store chain diluted that value by running a steak-coupon advertisement that invoked Jordan's name without permission.

The trial in the city where Jordan won six NBA championships stems from a lawsuit he filed against the now-defunct Dominick's Finer Foods for the 2009 ad in Sports Illustrated that congratulated him on his induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame. Text above a $2 coupon and photograph of a steak read, ''Michael Jordan ... You are a cut above.''

Jordan, 52, entered through the front doors of the courthouse Tuesday morning after Judge John Blakey denied his request to use a security tunnel. A relaxed-looking Jordan walked through a metal detector as dozens of reporters and passers-by looked on, pulling an ID from his wallet and showing it to security.

The trial, which is expected to last about a week, began Tuesday with jury selection. A lawyer defending Dominick's asked an initial batch of would-be jurors to raise their hands if any of them considered Jordan ''an idol or personal hero'' and so couldn't fairly assess the evidence. Not one hand was raised.

Jordan has meticulously guarded his image and the suit was an attempt to thwart companies that employ praise to slip references to him in an ad. Jordan is expected to testify later this week about why he so carefully controls his brand.

Questions are also expected arise about Jordan's lucrative endorsement deals with multiple companies, including Nike, as the sides seek to establish the value of his image.

A separate judge previously ruled that Dominick's did, in fact, use Jordan's identity without permission and was liable, so the unresolved issue for jurors is damages. They could decide to award him up to millions of dollars or, if they decide no notable damage was done to his image, nothing at all.

Tokens
Flip says he has 'treatable' lymphoma

August 11, 2015

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) Minnesota Timberwolves president and coach Flip Saunders said he's being treated for Hodgkins lymphoma, and his doctors consider it ''very treatable and curable.''

Saunders was diagnosed with a cancer of the immune system two months ago and has been undergoing chemotherapy. He plans to remain as the Timberwolves head coach and top executive while being treated.

''I am taking it step by step and day by day to understand how to best manage this process,'' Saunders said Tuesday in a statement.

The 60-year-old Saunders returned to the Timberwolves as team president in 2013. Last year, he replaced the retired Rick Adelman on the Wolves bench and the team finished 16-66.

Even while undergoing treatment, Saunders remained active with the team, overseeing draft workouts, selecting Karl-Anthony Towns at No. 1 overall and trading for Tyus Jones on draft night in June. He signed players including Euroleague MVP Nemanja Bjelica and veteran point guard Andre Miller to supplement a roster teeming with young talent.

He didn't attend the team's trip to the Las Vegas Summer League, but has remained engaged and at the team's new practice facility throughout the summer. Doctors have encouraged him to keep up with his daily business.

''Flip has kept me apprised of his cancer diagnosis and treatment,'' owner Glen Taylor said. ''He has my support as well as my thoughts and prayers for him and his family.''

As team president, head coach and a minority owner, Saunders has carved out a nearly unprecedented amount of power within the organization. His influence can be seen from the construction of the roster, the return of franchise icon Kevin Garnett and the drum line occasionally used during pregame introductions.

The former University of Minnesota standout coached the Timberwolves for 10 years before being fired in 2005, leading the long-suffering franchise to its only real playoff success. Taylor brought him back as team president two years ago to try to get the organization back on track, and he's helped infuse the roster with promising young players including Towns, Andrew Wiggins, Zach LaVine and Shabazz Muhammad while convincing Garnett to sign a two-year contract.

The moves have energized a fan base that hasn't had a team in the playoffs since 2004, and Saunders made it clear he has no plans of slowing down.

''I am attacking this with the same passion I do everything in my life, knowing this is a serious issue,'' he said. ''I also know that God has prepared me to fight this battle.''

Tokens
Billionaire sues TMZ, friend over loss of Clippers team

August 10, 2015

LOS ANGELES (AP) Billionaire Donald Sterling sued celebrity website TMZ and an ex-girlfriend over the recording of his off-color remarks that cost him ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers.

Sterling's lawsuit filed Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court accused TMZ and V. Stiviano of violating his privacy and causing damage on a ''scale of unparalleled and unprecedented magnitude.''

The suit is the latest salvo in a legal soap opera that began in April 2014 after the recording caused a firestorm of criticism when the real estate baron was heard whining to Stiviano that she shouldn't associate with black people.

The remarks led the NBA to ban him from the league and ultimately led Sterling's estranged wife to sell the team owned by a family trust to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for a record $2 billion.

Shelly Sterling won court approval for the sale by showing her husband of six decades had dementia and couldn't handle his business affairs.

Donald Sterling is suing his wife, the league and two doctors who examined him, claiming in federal court that they conspired to remove him from the team.

Despite litigation that put the couple at odds, they made nice during Shelly Sterling's recent court case that forced Stiviano to relinquish a $1.8 million home and $800,000 in cash, gifts, a Ferrari and other luxury cars Donald Sterling lavished on the younger woman. A judge ruled the items belonged to Shelly Sterling as community property.

The recordings of Donald Sterling surfaced just weeks after Shelly Sterling sued Stiviano, claiming she was her husband's mistress.

Stiviano has said Sterling consented to recordings she made on phones while they carried on a sexless relationship.

Donald Sterling, however, said in the lawsuit that the ''illicit'' recordings were secretly made and provided to TMZ by Stiviano ''and/or her agents.''

Attorney Mac Nehoray, who represented Stiviano in the previous lawsuit, said Sterling doesn't have a claim to privacy because his insensitive remarks were made in front of Stiviano's sister.

''It's ridiculous if he says he was damaged by it when he made $2 billion,'' Nehoray said. ''I think he's just a litigious person. Unless he has something going on in the public eye, he can't exist.''

The latest suit was lodged two days after Donald Sterling filed for divorce from his wife just weeks shy of their 60th anniversary.

TMZ representatives didn't immediately reply to requests for comment.

Tokens
MLB MONEYLINE

MLB > (967) LA ANGELS@ (968) KANSAS CITY | 2015-08-13 20:10:00 - 2015-08-13 20:10:00
Play ON KANSAS CITY using the money line in All games at home with a money line of -100 to -125
The record is 37 Wins and 12 Losses for the last two seasons (+23.15 units)

MLB > (965) NY YANKEES@ (966) CLEVELAND | 2015-08-13 19:10:00 - 2015-08-13 19:10:00
Play AGAINST CLEVELAND using the money line in Home games in games played on a grass field
The record is 23 Wins and 33 Losses for the this season (-21.75 units)

MLB > (963) TEXAS@ (964) MINNESOTA | 2015-08-13 13:10:00 - 2015-08-13 13:10:00
Play ON TEXAS using the money line in Road games in games played on a grass field
The record is 29 Wins and 23 Losses for the this season (+19.27 units)

MLB > (951) COLORADO@ (952) NY METS | 2015-08-13 12:10:00 - 2015-08-13 12:10:00
Play ON NY METS using the money line in All games in home games
The record is 40 Wins and 18 Losses for the this season (+19.75 units)

MLB > (955) PITTSBURGH@ (956) ST LOUIS | 2015-08-13 19:15:00 - 2015-08-13 19:15:00
Play ON ST LOUIS using the money line in Home games when playing against a team with a winning record
The record is 20 Wins and 5 Losses for the this season (+13.55 units)

Tokens
MLB RUNLINE

MLB > (967) LA ANGELS@ (968) KANSAS CITY | 2015-08-13 20:10:00 - 2015-08-13 20:10:00
Play ON KANSAS CITY using the in Home games when playing with a day off
The record is 7 Wins and 0 Losses for the this season (+11.05 units)

MLB > (963) TEXAS@ (964) MINNESOTA | 2015-08-13 13:10:00 - 2015-08-13 13:10:00
Play ON TEXAS using the in Road games in games played on a grass field
The record is 40 Wins and 12 Losses for the this season (+23 units)

MLB > (951) COLORADO@ (952) NY METS | 2015-08-13 12:10:00 - 2015-08-13 12:10:00
Play ON NY METS using the in All games in day games
The record is 61 Wins and 27 Losses for the last two seasons (+35.2 units)

Tokens
MLB TOTALS

MLB > (959) WASHINGTON@ (960) SAN FRANCISCO | 2015-08-13 22:15:00 - 2015-08-13 22:15:00
Play UNDER SAN FRANCISCO on the total in Home games when playing against a team with a winning record
The record is 2 Overs and 15 Unders for the this season (+12.75 units)

MLB > (957) CINCINNATI@ (958) LA DODGERS | 2015-08-13 22:10:00 - 2015-08-13 22:10:00
Play OVER LA DODGERS on the total in Home games against right-handed starters
The record is 71 Overs and 36 Unders for the last two seasons (+34.9 units)

MLB > (955) PITTSBURGH@ (956) ST LOUIS | 2015-08-13 19:15:00 - 2015-08-13 19:15:00
Play UNDER ST LOUIS on the total in All games in home games
The record is 16 Overs and 38 Unders for the this season (+18.95 units)

Play OVER LA ANGELS on the total in Road games when playing with a day off
The record is 120 Overs and 65 Unders for the since 1992 (+51.15 units)

Tokens
MLB TOP POWERLINES

MLB > (951) COLORADO @ (952) NY METS | 2015-08-13 12:10:00 - 2015-08-13 12:10:00
Line: COLORADO BTB PowerLine: COLORADO-195
Edge On: COLORADO (9)

MLB > (961) OAKLAND @ (962) TORONTO | 2015-08-13 12:35:00 - 2015-08-13 12:35:00
Line: OAKLAND BTB PowerLine: OAKLAND-105
Edge On: OAKLAND (20)

MLB > (953) MILWAUKEE @ (954) CHICAGO CUBS | 2015-08-13 14:20:00 - 2015-08-13 14:20:00
Line: CHICAGO CUBS-225 BTB PowerLine: CHICAGO CUBS-239
Edge On: CHICAGO CUBS (14)

MLB > (965) NY YANKEES @ (966) CLEVELAND | 2015-08-13 19:10:00 - 2015-08-13 19:10:00
Line: CLEVELAND-105 BTB PowerLine: CLEVELAND-106
Edge On: CLEVELAND (1)

MLB > (955) PITTSBURGH @ (956) ST LOUIS | 2015-08-13 19:15:00 - 2015-08-13 19:15:00
Line: ST LOUIS-120 BTB PowerLine: ST LOUIS-144
Edge On: ST LOUIS (24)

MLB > (967) LA ANGELS @ (968) KANSAS CITY | 2015-08-13 20:10:00 - 2015-08-13 20:10:00
Line: LA ANGELS BTB PowerLine: LA ANGELS114
Edge On: LA ANGELS (19)

MLB > (957) CINCINNATI @ (958) LA DODGERS | 2015-08-13 22:10:00 - 2015-08-13 22:10:00
Line: CINCINNATI BTB PowerLine: CINCINNATI-124
Edge On: CINCINNATI (37)

Users of our matchup reports are familiar with our Power Line ratings, calculated using both teams' ratings and home field advantage. The Top Power Lines tool offers a way to view and compare current Power Lines in one simple report, as well as the Power Line Edge, where the Power Line differs significantly from the current line.

Tokens
Spieth made PGA favorite

August 9, 2015

The fourth and final major of the golf season, the PGA Championship, takes place from Aug. 13-16 at Whistling Straits on the Straits Course in Kohler, Wisconsin.

The field is expected to include 15 past winners, which includes the 2012 and 2014 champion Rory McIlroy.

McIlroy opened as an 8/1 betting choice (Bet $100 to win $800) to repeat this summer in Wisconsin in late July but injury concerns have pushed his odds up to 10/1.

According to the major offshore outfit, the favorite is Jordan Spieth at 11/2 odds which is also up from his opening numbers (5/1).

Some bettors still believe Tiger Woods has a shot and the oddsmakers currently have him listed at a 30/1 betting choice. After his embarrassing performance at the British Open, Woods opened at 60/1 and many pundits believed those odds were too generous. Apparently some bettors are buying his latest efforts, which include an 18th place finish at the Quicken Loans National in late August.

Zach Johnson, winner of the 2015 British Open, is a 50/1 betting choice to capture the PGA Championship.

Listed below are the latest odds per Sportsbook.ag.

Odds to win 2015 PGA Championship (8/13/15) - per Sportsbook.ag

Jordan Spieth 11/2
Rory McIlroy 10/1
Jason Day 12/1
Dustin Johnson 13/1
Adam Scott 15/1
Justin Rose 15/1
Bubba Watson 20/1
Rickie Fowler 22/1
Henrik Stenson 30/1
Phil Mickelson 30/1
Tiger Woods 30/1
Brooks Koepka 40/1
Louis Oosthuizen 40/1
Sergio Garcia 45/1
Hideki Matsuyama 50/1
Jim Furyk 50/1
Martin Kaymer 50/1
Matt Kuchar 50/1
Shane Lowry 50/1
Zach Johnson 50/1
Brandt Snedeker 55/1
Jimmy Walker 55/1
Patrick Reed 55/1
Billy Horschel 65/1
Charl Schwartzel 65/1
JB Holmes 65/1
Keegan Bradley 65/1
Paul Casey 65/1
Bill Haas 80/1
Lee Westwood 80/1
Branden Grace 85/1
Marc Leishman 85/1
Danny Willett 90/1
Danny Lee 100/1
David Lingmerth 100/1
Graeme McDowell 100/1
Jason Dufner 100/1
Justin Thomas 100/1
Kevin Kisner 100/1
Luke Donald 100/1
Ryan Moore 100/1
Francesco Molinari 115/1
Hunter Mahan 115/1
Ian Poulter 115/1
Steve Stricker 115/1
Victor Dubuisson 115/1
Webb Simpson 115/1
Ryan Palmer 120/1
Charley Hoffman 135/1
Bernd Wiesberger 150/1
Brendon Todd 150/1
Byeong-Hun An 150/1
Camilo Villegas 150/1
Gary Woodland 150/1
Geoff Ogilvy 150/1
Graham DeLaet 150/1
Jamie Donaldson 150/1
Kevin Chappell 150/1
Kevin Na 150/1
Nick Watney 150/1
Robert Streb 150/1
Russell Henley 150/1
Brendon de Jonge 175/1
Ernie Els 175/1
Harris English 175/1
John Senden 175/1
Matt Jones 175/1
Padraig Harrington 175/1
Tommy Fleetwood 175/1
Tony Finau 175/1
Angel Cabrera 200/1
Ben Martin 200/1
Jason Bohn 200/1
Daniel Berger 225/1
Jonas Blixt 225/1
Kevin Streelman 225/1
Marc Warren 225/1
Miguel Angel Jimenez 225/1
Russell Knox 225/1
Scott Piercy 225/1
Steven Bowditch 225/1
David Toms 250/1
Boo Weekley 275/1
Cameron Tringale 275/1
James Hahn 275/1
Sang-Moon Bae 275/1
Shawn Stefani 275/1
Stephen Gallacher 275/1
Thomas Bjorn 275/1
Alex Cejka 300/1
YE Yang 300/1
Matt Every 350/1
Vijay Singh 350/1
Colin Montgomerie 500/1
John Daly 500/1
Mikko Ilonen 500/1
Nick Taylor 500/1
Darren Clarke 1000/1

Tokens
PGA Championship Preview

August 10, 2015

Let’s face it, the PGA Championship as a major is basically the equivalent of cheese pizza in many people’s eyes. It’s still pizza, but at the end of the day you know there is a more enjoyable version. The British has the history, the US Open is our National Championship, The Masters is…well, the Masters and the poor PGA just always seems to be an afterthought. And honestly, the whole, “Glory’s Last Shot” slogan makes people want to watch that tournament about as much as “Every Kiss Begins With Kay” makes people want to buy a piece of jewelry from Kay Jewelers.

To me though, the irony is that the PGA Championship year in and year out seems to almost always deliver one of the most exciting majors of the year. With the exception of Rory’s run away win at Kiawah in 2012 and Tiger’s mockery of Medinah in 2006, every PGA Championship over the last 20 years has been extremely competitive and entertaining. I still contend the 2000 PGA Championship between Tiger and Bob May ranks in the top 3 best Sunday finishes of any major in the last 30 years.

I do have some serious issues as a whole with the PGA of America though: picking DL III to drive the Titanic back into the iceberg again next year at the Ryder Cup was a genius idea, forgetting how time and sunsets work and thus almost ruining an otherwise great final round of last year’s PGA, and most notably 5 years ago at Whistling Straits when they allowed 4-year-olds to build sand castles in their “bunkers” and then kicked Dustin Johnson in the balls for not realizing he was in said bunker even though no one on the planet did either.

Now the PGA returns this year to Whistling Straits, and frankly I can’t wait. After watching the 2010 final round on replay last week three things really stood out to me (aside from the ridiculous bunker ruling). First, how hard the 18th hole is. I mean that thing is an absolute beast of a golf hole and might be the best/hardest finishing hole they play on the PGA tour. Second, how many chances Rory had on the back nine Sunday and didn’t convert. And finally, I forgot just how good the leaderboard was on Sunday. Rory, Bubba, Day, Mickelson, Kuckar, Kaymer, Zach Johnson and of course Dustin Johnson. (Spieth hadn’t even started his senior year of high school, but probably could have contended) Combine that leaderboard with the fact that 2015 has produced some of the best golf and overall leaderboards in recent years and I expect nothing less than a stellar conclusion to the 2015 majors.

As always, odds below are at the time of posting and are subject to change throughout the week.

As for who won’t win this week:

Rory McIlroy (10/1) – As I said earlier, no one had more chances to win here on Sunday in 2010 than Rory did, and he is a much better and more polished golfer than he was 5 years ago. But he won’t win this week either. The ankle itself isn’t really my concern with Rory this week. The problem I see with Rory is the rust that ankle caused. To me anyway, the more Rory plays, the better he gets. With over a month out of competitive golf I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Rory repeat what he did at Augusta where he barely make the cut on Friday then posts a good round Saturday and an even better round Sunday for another back door top 10. I just think the rust from the layoff will leave him too far back to win this week.

Zach Johnson (50/1) – Believe it or not, ZJ finished T-3 here in 2010, one shot out of the playoff. With that said, the odds of Zach Johnson winning back to back majors has to be closer to 50,000/1 than 50/1. Nothing against Zach, I just don’t see that happening.

Jim Furyk (65/1) – Say what you want about Jim Furyk, the guy is incredibly consistent. He managed to extend his amazing choke streak at the WGC by not closing out his TENTH consecutive 54-hole lead since the 2010 Tour Championship. The amazing part is that in that time span no one else has even had 10 54-hole leads, much less blown them all. In other words, if you are dumb enough to take Furyk this week and he has the lead come Saturday night, just bet 65 times your base bet against him and you will win.

Martin Kaymer (50/1) – He may have good memories from his win here in 2010 but I have good memories from Austin’s 6th street when I was in college. Problem is, neither of us are the same person we once were. Since his win at the US Open last year he has gone 70th, MC, MC, MC and 12th in his last 5 majors and missed four cuts in his last seven starts this year.

Adam Scott (15/1) – He can have Steve Williams on the bag, he can hit every fairway and every green and he still won’t win. As we learned at St. Andrews, the guy simply can’t putt well enough to win a major right now.

Justin Rose (22/1) – See above. With the exception of lightning in a bottle on Saturday at the WGC, this guy might be the only player on tour right now that could lose in a putting contest to Adam Scott. As good as he has hit it the last few months his putter has done him no favors. On this course, or any major for that matter, if you can’t putt, you can’t win.

Shane Lowry (100/1) – At 100/1 he will get a lot of action this week, and probably come down quite a bit as a result, but just remember he was posted at 100/1 even after winning the WGC for a reason.

Henrik Stenson (30/1) – A smooth little 80-75 here in 2010 and coming off a forgettable performance at the British Open I wouldn’t touch this guy with your money this week.

Rickie Fowler (22/1) – The guy makes too many big numbers and I think that will be his downfall this week on a course with some very difficult holes.

Louis Oosthuizen (40/1) – Top 20 at Augusta, T-2 at the US Open and lost in a playoff at the British. In other words the guy doesn’t suck this year when it comes to playing in majors. However just like Fowler last year I think he ends the year with four quality finishes in the majors but no wins.

Phil Mickelson (30/1) – If the 2010 version of Phil couldn’t win here there is zero chance the 2015 version of Phil can win here.

Luke Donald (100/1) – Pretty appropriate considering he barely broke 80 when he played here in 2010. Unless they let Luke play from the red tees he might as well be 100 million to 1 this week. And even then I’m not sure I would take him for $1.

Lee Westwood (100/1) - When Lee Westwood first saw the course he said, “I'd been told there are 10 difficult holes and eight impossible ones. I'm still trying to work out which the 10 difficult holes are." So that pretty much eliminates him. On a related note Sergio Garcia is 45/1. Meaning you can lose the same amount of money for less than half the imaginary payout.

Matt Kuchar (50/1) – The first and second round leader here in 2010 and was barely able to hang on to a top 10 over the weekend. The guy cashes a lot of checks, just not the really big one they hand out at majors.

Tiger Woods (30/1) - If you want to bet on Tiger this week, please call me, I’ll be more than happy to book your bet. No. 262 in world rankings and 30/1? If he even makes the cut this week you should get 30/1.

Boo Weekley (275/1) - It’s the PGA Championship…this never gets old.

John Daly (500/1) – If Steve Elkington could turn back the clock here in 2010 and still have a shot to win on the 72nd hole…why not JD in 2015????

So who wins “Glory’s Last Shot?” Personally, I would say this is a 4-horse race with one man emerging by a nose.

Bubba Watson (22/1) – It pains me beyond belief to have to put him in this category but the fact is the guy is playing really well as of late, lost in a playoff here in 2010 and should contend again here in 2015. I absolutely refuse to bet on him because I would feel like my money was cursed if I won but it wouldn’t shock me if he did. On a related note, watching the replay last week of the 2010 PGA here reminded me that my two favorite players in golf are whoever I have money on and whoever is in contention (a playoff) against Bubba. The real question this year: will Bubba participate in the long drive contest on Wednesday or once again prove to be the biggest D-bag on the PGA Tour? My money is on the latter.

Jason Day (15/1) – Finished T-10 here in 2010 despite a final round 74 and has contended in the last two majors despite battling vertigo. It still makes me nervous betting on a guy that could collapse at any minute but his win in Canada recently was a good sign and is coming off a solid week at the WGC. Day is going to win a major sooner than later and this week very well could be it. If nothing else he will be there come the back nine on Sunday and I look for Day to finish no worse than a top 10 again this week and most likely in the top 5 as well.

Jordan Spieth (11/2, or 5.5/1 for the mathematically impaired) – His grand slam dreams died at St. Andrews on the 72nd hole (or 71st, however you want to look at it) but the guy was one shot out of a playoff. If he wins this week and misses the grand slam by a single shot (no chance he loses that playoff) what an incredible story that would make on it’s own. Winning all three majors on US soil would still be pretty amazing, even Tiger in his heyday never did that. While I don’t think he will win this week, I certainly wouldn’t bet against him. However, it definitely wouldn’t shock me if he won. The guy could cure cancer tomorrow and it wouldn’t surprise me. He will at worst cash in again on a top-5 and top-10 bet this week.

It was also announced that Spieth will play with Justin Thomas against Mickelson and Fowler in a Tuesday practice round. Spieth said he was thinking of setting his US Open trophy on every green to get in Mickelson's head. Whether he does or not is irrelevant now, just the fact that he said it publicly is outstanding. And if there is any way I can get down on Spieth/Thomas for like ten grand, please let me know where I can take that action?

Your winner:

Dustin Johnson (13/1) – I said it in February and despite his US Open and British meltdowns, I am sticking with it. What else can this guy possibly do to lose a major at this point? Seriously, he has to be out of options by now. The guy has succeeded in losing a major in every way possible. I think the DJ we saw for 71.5 holes at the US Open and 36 holes at the British Open shows up for 72 holes this week. People forget because of the stupid bunker ruling that DJ made two really good birdies on the 70th and 71st hole here in 2010 to take a one shot lead going into the final hole. I think this is the ultimate redemption story this week for DJ, avenging his loss here in 2010, his 3-putt at the US Open in June, his complete weekend meltdown at St. Andrews in July and the countless other blown majors he has. In the words of the great Lloyd Christmas, “Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!”

Tokens
B]Top Bets - Whistling Straits

August 11, 2015

Tournament:pGA Championship
Date: Aug. 13 - Aug. 16
Venue: Whistling Straits

Whistling Straits will host the PGA Championship for the third time in the last 12 years as the 1998 resurrection of a former waste dump to a European style links course with tons of sand has become one of the PGA’s favorite spots for big events. The par-72, 7,514-yard course along the banks of Lake Michigan will also be the host of the 2020 Ryder Cup and should have some more fireworks in store this year after sending the players to a playoff in the last two installments of this major being played here (2004, 2010).

The first of those was won by Vijay Singh (-8) as he took down American’s Chris DiMarco and Justin Leonard in extra holes, while Martin Kaymer earned the victory in 2010 with a score of 11-under, outlasting Bubba Watson in the three additional holes. Since that 2010 event, world No. 1 Rory McIlroy has won this event twice (2012, 2014) as Keegan Bradley (2011) and Jason Dufner (2013) were victorious in the other two. All but two of the last eight of these tournaments have been won by two strokes or fewer with McIlroy’s 2012 margin of victory of eight strokes being the largest in the tournament since they began with stroke play in 1958.

The field is very deep with all but two of the top-100 players from the OWGR making the visit to Whistling Straits as No. 24 Chris Kirk (Hand) and No. 74 Alexander Noren (Rib) are held back by injury. The Spieth watch will be on once again as the now 22-year-old looks to become just the third player in PGA history with three major victories in one year, the others being Ben Hogan in 1953 and Tiger Woods in 2000, after finishing in a tie for fourth at the Open Championship nearly a month ago. Also gunning for the trophy will be Tiger Woods, who has won this major four times, but has not done so since 2007 and has seen his standing in the OWGR drop to No. 278 while sitting at 186th in the current FedEx Cup standings.

Let’s now breakdown a few players in this week’s field who could overcome the best golfers in the world and bring home the trophy.

Golfers to Bet

Jason Day: (12/1) At this point, it seems like a matter of when rather than if Day will ever win a major championship as the 27-year-old has played at a high level in nearly every tournament he is in, but cannot finish things off when at the majors. In his career, he has three runner-ups in such events and another six top-10s as he has been able to creep into the top-15 at the PGA Championship three times; including a tie for 10th when it was last at this venue. On the year, Day already has two victories (Farmers Insurance Open, RBC Canadian Open) and had a top-nine showing at each of the last two majors as he’s totaled seven top-10s in his 15 events played. His drive (314 yards per) is the third longest on TOUR and when paired with his impressive putting (0.525 strokes gained putting, 14th on TOUR), he has a chance to be victorious in any given week. The day will come for this Australian-born player to etch his name on one of the major trophies, and this week could very well be it.

Brooks Koepka: (40/1) Koepka has the makeup of a major winner and the 25-year-old has already shown flashes of this with a top-10 finish at two of his past six attempts. He also did well last year in this tourney, ranking 15th with a score of nine-under-par after a 66-67 on the weekend. Koepka figured out how to earn his first career win earlier this season at the Waste Management Open and has been on fire of late with performances no worse than 18th in his last five appearances which included two majors and a World Golf Championships event. Just like Day, Koepka combines his unique ability of hitting the ball far (309.5 yards per, 6th on TOUR) with impressive putting ability (0.638 strokes gained putting, 5th on TOUR) in order to have the third-best scoring average (69.649) amongst his peers. The FSU alum jumped into the top-20 of the OWGR with his WGC performance last week and should be poised to continue his rise up the ranking with a nice week at Whistling Straits.

Keegan Bradley: (85/1) While Bradley is in the midst of the worst season in his career, ranking 61st in the FedEx Cup standings after doing no worse than 33rd before that, he is still a former major championship winner and has eight top-25s to his credit in 20 events played this year. He took this tourney back in 2011 and followed that up with a tie for third in 2012, so he knows how to get things done under the big lights of the PGA Championship. Bradley also been playing some solid golf recently, and after failing to make it to the weekend at the Open Championship, placed in a tie for 17th at the Bridgestone Invitational last week when he averaged 335.5 yards per drive. His driver (306.1 yards per, 65.68% fairways hit) will be a strength against the winds at this course and he has the ball-striking ability (1.107 total strokes gained, 16th on TOUR) to be competitive from day one. Bradley may be having a down year by his standards, but he can break out on any given week and dropping a few units on him would be smart.

Danny Lee: (90/1) Lee is one of the hottest players on TOUR right now, and has placed in the top-six at four of his last five tournaments after racking up just three top-10s with 16-of-25 cuts made up until the Traveler’s Championship. The big knock on the 25-year-old could be that he has not performed well in the big events, missing the cut at the PLAYERS Championship, U.S. Open and Open Championship before finally performing amongst the best with a tie for sixth last week in the Bridgestone Classic. In the WGC event, Lee was able to putt 0.531 strokes better than the field and that should factor in once again as he is ranked 31st on TOUR in the category (0.390 strokes gained putting). Lee is feeling it lately and should be a factor over the weekend at this beautiful course.

David Lingmerth: (100/1) Joining Lee as a hot golfer heading into this huge event is Lingmerth who actually tied with Lee at the Bridgestone Invitational after shooting six-under over the weekend and carding his fourth top-six performance in his last six outings. One of those performances was a victory at the Memorial Tournament back in June where he staved off Justin Rose in a playoff for his first career PGA TOUR win. Major events such as this one are new to the Swedish player who has attended just three since joining the TOUR in 2013 and has made the cut twice; including a few weeks ago at St. Andrews where he shot five-under over the first three days before a 77 derailed his week on Sunday. Lingmerth is solid across the board while not being amongst the elite in any one area of his game, but that ability should give him opportunities to score in any type of condition and do well on Lake Michigan this week.

Odds to win PGA Championship - per Sportsbook.ag

Jordan Spieth 6/1
Jason Day 12/1
Rory McIlroy 12/1
Dustin Johnson 15/1
Adam Scott 20/1
Bubba Watson 20/1
Justin Rose 20/1
Rickie Fowler 25/1
Henrik Stenson 30/1
Tiger Woods 30/1
Phil Mickelson 35/1
Brooks Koepka 40/1
Louis Oosthuizen 40/1
Sergio Garcia 45/1
Hideki Matsuyama 50/1
Jim Furyk 50/1
Shane Lowry 50/1
Patrick Reed 55/1
Brandt Snedeker 60/1
Jimmy Walker 60/1
Martin Kaymer 60/1
Matt Kuchar 60/1
Zach Johnson 60/1
Paul Casey 65/1
Billy Horschel 85/1
Branden Grace 85/1
Charl Schwartzel 85/1
JB Holmes 85/1
Keegan Bradley 85/1
Luke Donald 85/1
Danny Lee 100/1
Danny Willett 100/1
David Lingmerth 100/1
Graeme McDowell 100/1
Justin Thomas 100/1
Kevin Kisner 100/1
Robert Streb 100/1
Ryan Moore 100/1
Bill Haas 115/1
Ian Poulter 115/1
Jason Dufner 115/1
Lee Westwood 115/1
Marc Leishman 115/1
Webb Simpson 130/1
Francesco Molinari 135/1
Bernd Wiesberger 150/1
Gary Woodland 150/1
Graham DeLaet 150/1
Hunter Mahan 150/1
Kevin Na 150/1
Russell Henley 150/1
Ryan Palmer 150/1
Steve Stricker 150/1
Steven Bowditch 150/1
Victor Dubuisson 150/1
Brendon Todd 165/1
John Senden 165/1
Kevin Chappell 165/1
Tony Finau 165/1
Charley Hoffman 175/1
Harris English 175/1
Matt Jones 175/1
Camilo Villegas 200/1
Ernie Els 200/1
Geoff Ogilvy 200/1
Jamie Donaldson 200/1
Jason Bohn 200/1
Padraig Harrington 200/1
Russell Knox 210/1
Byeong-Hun An 225/1
Kevin Streelman 225/1
Nick Watney 225/1
Scott Piercy 225/1
Tommy Fleetwood 225/1
Miguel Angel Jimenez 265/1
Ben Martin 275/1
Boo Weekley 275/1
Daniel Berger 275/1
Marc Warren 275/1
Shawn Stefani 275/1
Alex Cejka 300/1
Brendon de Jonge 300/1
Cameron Tringale 300/1
David Toms 300/1
James Hahn 300/1
Sang-Moon Bae 300/1
Thomas Bjorn 300/1
YE Yang 300/1
Vijay Singh 350/1
Colin Montgomerie 500/1
John Daly 500/1
Matt Every 500/1
Mikko Ilonen 500/1
Nick Taylor 500/1
Stephen Gallacher 550/1
Darren Clarke 1000/1

Odds Subject to Change - Updated 8.11.15

Tokens
The battle at the top with McIlroy, Spieth

August 12, 2015

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (AP) Rory McIlroy returns to golf and faces a new set of questions.

About his ankle. About the state of the game. And then there was one question he had trouble answering Wednesday on the eve of the PGA Championship.

Who's the best player in the world?

McIlroy remains No. 1 in the world ranking. He also has watched Jordan Spieth produce one of the most memorable years in golf by winning the Masters and U.S. Open, and coming within one shot of a playoff at St. Andrews for the third leg of the Grand Slam.

They face off Thursday at Whistling Straits, playing in the same group with British Open champion Zach Johnson.

McIlroy says there are no indications his game has slipped during his 53 days off from competition.

------------------------------

Day looks to get in contention -- again

August 12, 2015

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (AP) It was five years ago at this golf course that Jason Day realized he could be a contender in the majors.

He's been in the mix several times since, and with another major on tap at Whistling Straits, nobody would be surprised to see the Aussie go from king of the close call to someone who finally broke through.

''Sometimes, people make it look easier than others,'' said Day, who recorded the first of nine top-10 major finishes at the 2010 PGA Championship. ''Some people get there quicker than others.''

Jordan Spieth got there twice before turning 22. Rory McIlroy has been there four times, and he's only 26.

Day is 27, and has been part of the conversation in most of those tournaments, along with a couple more. He's a three-time runner-up, has finished third once and fourth twice. But he has not won.

This year, the close calls have been especially painful. Most recently, he was a birdie away from joining the playoff at the British Open but instead tied with Spieth for fourth.

A month before that, Day finished ninth at the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay - an amazing finish for a man who collapsed in the second round, struck by a bout of vertigo that he'd been diagnosed with a month earlier.

Nobody would have blamed him for bowing out of a tournament after taking a tumble like that. Even Day conceded he might have quit had it not been a major where he had a good chance. Instead, he gathered himself and played on.

''I learned a lot about how far I could really push myself mentally and physically, even though I felt like I was going to pull out three times'' in the third round, said Day, who has figured out the problem with vertigo and hasn't experienced a relapse. ''I didn't end up winning, but I learned a lot.''

Day followed his showing at the British Open by traveling across the Atlantic and winning the Canadian Open - his second Tour victory this season and fourth overall.

He is currently fifth in the World Golf Rankings, two spots ahead of Rickie Fowler. That would make Day ''The Best Player to Never Win a Major,'' though that title doesn't seem to carry the same heaviness as it did 10, or even five years ago.

At least not according to Day's version of things. He looks back 10 years and remembers when it was Tiger Woods, then everyone else.

Now, it's McIlroy, Spieth and Bubba Watson, then Fowler, Dustin Johnson and a load of others bunched in spots 4-10.

''That just shows how tough the competition has gotten over the years,'' Day said. ''Then on top of it, it's very difficult to try and close on a Sunday at a major championship. But I think the more times I keep putting myself there, sooner or later it's going to happen. I know that.''

Lost in the drama of Johnson's blunder in the bunker back in 2010 was that Day was playing in the third-to-last group, alongside the eventual champion, Martin Kaymer.

Day had a reasonable round going - 1 under through 8 - until he hit a flier over the back of the ninth green and took a double-bogey. He became an afterthought then. But he paid attention to Kaymer, whose patient approach got him into a playoff. It gave Day both a taste of what it was like to contend in a major, and how to go about winning one.

Maybe he'll be next.

''I took that experience and kind of went forward with it,'' Day said. ''It took me a while, but I'm slowly learning how to stay a lot more patient with myself.''

Tokens
Who ya got? McIlroy-Spieth is golf's best rivalry in decade

August 12, 2015

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (AP) All of a sudden, it isn't quite as lonely at the top.

When Rory McIlroy won the PGA Championship a year ago, he was already the runaway favorite to dominate golf in the post-Tiger era. He was just 25, with four majors already under his belt, and barely two weeks into a stretch at No. 1 in the world ranking that continues today. You were hard-pressed to pick out even one real contender on the horizon.

Then came the spring and summer of Jordan Spieth.

''He's taking up a lot of the limelight this year, which is deservedly so,'' Mcllroy said Wednesday. ''I mean, it's one of the best years of golf that we have seen in a long, long time.''

McIlroy should know, since he had a front-row seat as Spieth won the Masters and U.S. Open, then was sidelined by a bum ankle and forced to watch from the couch as Spieth nearly made it three majors in a row before faltering at the end of the British Open. And if nothing else, it enabled the 22-year-old Texan to cut even deeper into McIlroy's lead. The last time the game had two players at the top with this much distance on the rest of the field was 1999, when David Duval mounted a brief challenge to Woods' throne but lost his way soon after.

Because golfers wear gloves to grip the club -not throw punches - skirmishes between Nos. 1 and 2 tend to be polite affairs. And so McIlroy, back after a 53-day layoff due to a ruptured ligament he suffered in a pickup soccer game with friends, threw nothing at his Texas rival but compliments.

''I think the performances that he put in at the Masters and the U.S. Open and even at St. Andrews when he was so close, you know, they were inspirational performances,'' he said. ''That's something really for him to be proud of.

''Even though I'm not that much older, I think if I was - he was 21 at that point - I probably wouldn't have handled it quite as well as he did.''

But rewind the tape to last May, when McIlroy was coming off a World Golf Championship title and Spieth's impressive win at Augusta marked him as only one potential contender among many. Back then, McIlroy was asked whether all the attention Spieth was getting ''gets your (competitive) juices flowing?''

''Not really,'' he replied. ''Last year, it was Rickie (Fowler), this year it's Jordan, might be someone else ... There's been four or five rivalries over the past year,'' McIlroy added a moment later to laughter. ''It's really doesn't do anything for me.''

Anyone looking to spark a feud between them soon realized they were leaving empty-handed on this day.

Spieth had a chance to unseat McIlroy last week and couldn't seal the deal. He also hasn't made the cut at his two previous PGA Championship appearances, and he's a modest sort to begin with. So the most boastful thing he managed all day was acknowledging that he set a goal of being No. 1 in the world at some point in his career and that he'd prefer it ''to be sooner rather than later and then be able to hold onto it.''

With so little back-and-forth, someone finally asked McIlroy flat-out, ''Regardless of rank, just from your perspective, who is the best player in the world?''

McIlroy stifled a smile. Then he got diplomatic. He said Spieth would deserve the title this year, but extend the time frame back two years and ''it's probably a toss-up.'' Then he got even more diplomatic, saying it depends what part of the game you value most.

''So,'' McIlroy said, ''it's all a matter of opinion at this point.''

Not to be deterred, the questioner asked a follow-up.

''Your opinion?''

''I'll tell you at the end of the week,'' McIlroy said with a wide smile.

Tokens
Preseason Week 1 Pointers

August 11, 2015

The pro football preseason kicked off this past weekend in the Hall of Fame game as the Vikings battled the Steelers. Remember that each season is different, with players changing teams, new coaches and assistants coming aboard, and star college players joining the pros as highly touted rookies. August football offers fans their first peak at all the new additions.

It's a short week for the Steelers, heading to Jacksonville to play the Jaguars. The Steelers didn’t care much about preseason last August, going 1-3 SU/ATS. In their two road games, they lost 20-16 and 31-21.

The extra work will probably be good for Minnesota as they excelled last preseason under a new coaching staff, going 4-0 SU/ATS. Minnesota still had a losing record during the regular season, finishing third in the NFC North. Last preseason they were trying to establish a quarterback, but this year Matt Cassel is gone and they’ve hitched their wagon to Teddy Bridgewater, so preseason will mean a backup battle Shaun Hill and Mike Kafka.

The defending champion Patriots open the preseason against the Packers. It would have been a Super Bowl rematch if the Packers hadn’t muffed an onside kick. And you won’t see much of Aaron Rodgers against Tom Brady, as Bill Belichick rarely uses franchise Tom in Week 1.

The Dolphins are at Chicago as the Bears introduce a new head coach. John Fox was quietly shown the door in Denver and made changes to the Bears on both sides of the line. Offensive coordinator Adam Gase is aboard who ran the offense with Fox at Denver. He gets to work rookie WR Kevin White into the new offense -- and good luck to both working with turnover-prone QB Jay Cutler. New defensive coordinator Vic Fangio has a boatload of work to do overhauling a Chicago defense that was dismal in 2014, ranked 30th against the pass, 17th against the run, and the second most points allowed (27.6 ppg).

Carolina heads to Buffalo this weekend. Carolina is a veteran team off of two-straight playoff appearances, so they have little to prove. The Bills, however, introduce bombastic coach Rex Ryan to the home fans, which is always a treat. Ryan walks in to a great situation (9-7 SU/ATS) though his team is going to look similar to the Jets: Great defense, weak O and no QB.

The WR corps is young and fast with Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Percy Harvin. But who cares about offense when you have a defense this talented? That’s probably what sexy Rexy is thinking as Buffalo rolled up 54 sacks last year, 57 two years ago, leading the NFL. DT Marcell Dareus (10 sacks) and DE Mario Williams (14.5) are a handful along with LB Jerry Hughes (9.5 sacks). Wonder if Rex will unleash the blitzing hounds in August? He probably can’t help himself.

The Rams have a long Week 1 preseason road trip out to Oakland. St. Louis has little to prove but the Raiders have a new coach in Jack Del Rio, his first gig since getting axed in Jacksonville. The Raiders have gone through 12 consecutive losing seasons. Del Rio says he wants to bring back the mentality and swagger from the early Raider dynasty. New WR Amari Cooper is aboard and last preseason the Raiders played their best football winning both home games over the Lions (27-26) and Seahawks (41-31).

Speaking of Seattle they open the preseason at home this week against the Broncos, the team they crushed in the Super Bowl two years ago. Fans probably forget they opened the preseason last August and the Broncos won at home, 21-16. However, Pete Carroll has his teams ready to play at home, even in August, as last preseason they crushed the Chargers (41-14) and Bears (34-6) at home.

The Washington Redskins open the preseason at Cleveland this weekend. Oddly, the Redskins have been great in preseason the last two years but terrible when the games count. Two years ago the Skins were 4-0 SU/ATS last preseason, then went 3-13 SU, 5-11 ATS during the 2013 campaign. Last August, they went 3-1 SU/ATS, then went 4-12 during the regular season!

Minnesota already has a game under its belt Saturday when they host the Bucs, while Tampa Bay gets its first look at rookie QB Jameis Winston. He ran a pro-style offense at Florida State, a similar system under Tampa Bay OC Dirk Koetter. The coaching staff said this offseason they want to play a faster tempo on offense, so let’s see if they start preseason that way. Nothing can hurt after ranking 27th in yards in 2014. After Winston the QB rotation has Mike Glennon and Seth Lobato – not exactly Waterfield and Van Brocklin off the bench.

The Rams heading to Oakland is the only Week 1 contest with a long travel time. A year ago there was only one when the 49ers flew to Baltimore – and got smoked, 23-3. Two years ago there was only one, when the Cardinals flew to Green Bay, but it didn’t seem to matter as Arizona rolled, 17-0. Three years ago, the Packers were at San Diego in Week 1 of the preseason, Tennessee headed to Seattle, while the Vikings headed to the Bay Area to play San Francisco. Tennessee looked jet-lagged in a 27-17 defeat as did the Vikings in a 17-6 loss to the 49ers and the Packers got beat up at San Diego, 21-13.

Also keep an eye on home field. In one recent season home teams went 21-10-1 against the spread the first two weeks of preseason. Two years later the home team went 10-5 SU/ATS the first week of exhibition play. There are edges in preseason football, you just have to know where to look and what to look for, even in August.

Tokens
Preseason Week 1 Essentials

August 10, 2015

The NFL preseason gets a bad rap.

Sure, most veterans take only one game seriously and we’ll all be ready to be done with it before the month is up, but don’t sleep on its charms.

In the Hall of Fame game alone, Steelers LB Ryan Shazier and RB/WR Dri Archer attempted to atone for rough rookie years by attacking the first available opportunity. Minnesota showcased impressive depth and saw intriguing rookie WR/KR Stefon Diggs back up what he’s been doing in practices with an electrifying punt return on Sunday’s most memorable play.

There will be reasons to tune in for every single preseason contest even if you abstain from getting in any action.

It’s a misconception that trying to profit of the preseason is akin to throwing darts. You can do well if you isolate games where the coaching staffs have different agendas in regards to playing time or what they’re schematically looking to accomplish, not to mention general mismatches in terms of personnel depth.Here’s how Week 1 shakes out:

Thursday, Aug. 13

New Orleans at Baltimore (BAL -3/37.5): The Saints have taken the cautious approach with Marques Colston, Brandin Cooks and newly acquired C.J. Spiller, so they’re all likely out. Drew Brees didn’t play in last year’s preseason opener, yet New Orleans still beat St. Louis 26-24 behind Luke McCown, who returns as the primary backup. Baltimore welcomes Matt Schaub to the party, looking to ease concerns about his uneven play in camp thus far. The Ravens were 4-0 last preseason.

Green Bay at New England (NE -3/38): A focused Tom Brady has been brilliant in practice, clearly locking in early in an attempt to press forward. Despite that, this preseason is all about getting Jimmy Garoppolo ready to play in Week 1. Bill Belichick’s strategy will reveal itself some here, but it’s worth noting that the Patriots have had more players unavailable due to injury than most at this early stage and just cut veteran backup QB Matt Flynn, opting for Ryan Lindley. The Packers have lost their preseason opener in five consecutive seasons.

N.Y. Jets at Detroit (DET -3/37): The Todd Bowles era gets underway, but his Jets defense has already had bad luck with injuries and off-field issues. QB Geno Smith has looked sharper, but don’t expect more than a cameo from him and new No. 1 WR Brandon Marshall. The Lions saw Matthew Stafford dominate this weekend’s scrimmage with brilliant throws, but backups Kellen Moore and Dan Orlovsky combined for three picks and no touchdowns. They’ll do the bulk of the work here.

Miami at Chicago (PK/37): Quarterback Ryan Tannehill’s continued improvement has been a positive sign considering the Dolphins just gave him more guaranteed money in the hope he’ll be their most productive quarterback since Dan Marino. The Bears are counting on Jay Cutler bouncing back from last season’s implosion and won’t expose him much, if at all, this early. Still, with coordinator Adam Gase installing a new offense and Vic Fangio implementing a 3-4 defense, we’ll see whether this bunch acclimates to change quickly.

Washington at Cleveland (CLE -2/37.5): Controversially divisive signal-callers Robert Griffin III and Johnny Manziel get more attention and scrutiny than even Tim Tebow, so this one is must-see TV. Both are expected to play, but it’s likely that Manziel gets much more time here since RGIII is slated to start opposite Josh McCown. Manziel put together an improved, eye-opening performance in this past weekend’s scrimmage.

Dallas at San Diego (SD -3.5/37.5): Count on Tony Romo and Philip Rivers wearing baseball caps throughout the duration of this one. Young players will be on the field for both sides throughout most of this one, so not even veteran backups Brandon Weeden nor Kellen Clemens should see much action. Instead, this QB battle will pit San Diego’s Chase Rettig and Brad Sorensen against Dallas’ Dustin Vaughan and Jameill Showers. The Chargers beat the Cowboys 27-7 in last year’s preseason opener.

Friday, Aug. 14

Tennessee at Atlanta (ATL -2.5/38): The Falcons are nursing multiple injuries and have no desire to expose Matt Ryan, so this is all about Marcus Mariota’s debut. Having drawn rave reviews so far, he can really get them riled up in Nashville if he’s sharp out of the gate.

Carolina at Buffalo (BUF -2.5/35.5): While Cam Newton may not play for the Panthers, new Bills coach Rex Ryan is going to need EJ Manuel, Matt Cassel or Tyrod Taylor to break through. None has managed to gain much separation thus far.

Pittsburgh at Jacksonville (PK/36): After scoring just three points against the Vikings, offensive coordinator Todd Haley should have Ben Roethlisberger available. Backup Bruce Gradkowski remains out with a shoulder injury, so the Jags should still get a heavy dose of Landry Jones, who lacked a pocket presence and command of the offense on Sunday. Word is Jacksonville QB Blake Bortles has looked impressive in camp thus far.

N.Y. Giants at Cincinnati (CIN -3/37.5): Veteran head coach Tom Coughlin led New York to 5-0 preseason mark in 2014, but then saw his team collapse to a 6-10 disaster. He may not be too interested in keeping the streak as a result, but it’s likely that winning this opener will hinge on the shoulders of new acquisition Ricky Stanzi, out to prove he should stick as the team’s third QB. The Bengals are looking for ex-Alabama star A.J. McCarron to continue displaying growth and lock up the top backup job to Andy Dalton.

St. Louis at Oakland (OAK -1/35.5): The two franchises who once shared Los Angeles are thrown together to open their seasons amid speculation that relocation may be in the immediate future. Improvement should also be in the cards, as both teams have promising young talent that should be on display here.

Denver at Seattle (SEA -5.5/36): Expect Peyton Manning to play at least a series against the two-time defending NFC champs, who provide a nice early measuring stick. Brock Osweiler is one of the more competent backup QBs and helped end Seattle's nine-game preseason winning streak in last year's opener. The Seahawks are 10-2 in preseason play over the past three seasons, which is why they opened up as the biggest chalk of Week 1.

Saturday, Aug. 15

San Francisco at Houston (HOU -3/35): The 49ers are basically starting over under new head coach Jim Tomsula, moving on from Jim Harbaugh, Frank Gore and multiple key defensive leaders. Houston has to pick a starter between QBs Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer. Promising third-stringer Tom Savage is likely to get the bulk of the snaps here.

Tampa Bay at Minnesota (N/A): Second-year QB Teddy Bridgewater looked sharp in his lone series, so with Adrian Peterson expected to sit out the entire preseason, all eyes will be on his continued development. Jameis Winston has the Bucs excited thus far in camp, particularly in red-zone drills. There will be lots of eyes on this one.

Kansas City at Arizona (AZ -2.5/36): The Chiefs are looking for new offensive weapons to step up, but Andy Reid has never put much emphasis on these exhibition games beyond the third one. Bruce Arians is 2-for-2 in preseason openers, but has dealt with a host of injuries. Since Tyrann Mathieu already almost broke Carson Palmer in practice, it's hard to imagine the 35-year-old coming back from a second ACL tear plays much this month. Drew Stanton has the backup job locked up, but Chandler Harnish, Logan Thomas and rookie Phillip Sims are looking to stick as No. 3.

Sunday, Aug. 16

Indianapolis at Philadelphia (PHI -3.5): With the spotlight to themselves, we’ll get to see what the heavily scrutinized Chip Kelly and Chuck Pagano bring to the table in this first installment. The Eagles want to play fast above all else and averaged an NFL-best 32.7 points per game last preseason. Sam Bradford is likely to make his first in-game appearance since tearing his ACL in the third of last year’s exhibitions. Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley and Tebow will entertain the country one way or another. Count on that.

Tokens
Thursday's Preseason Tips

August 13, 2015

Saints at Ravens (-3, 38) – 7:30 PM EST

New Orleans
Head Coach: Sean Payton (19-14 SU, 21-12 ATS in preseason)
Quarterback Rotation: Drew Brees, Luke McCown, Garrett Grayson (Rookie), Ryan Griffin

The Saints have cruised to a 4-0 SU/ATS record in their last four preseason openers, while New Orleans owns a solid 7-2 SU record in exhibition openers since Brees signed in the Big Easy back in 2006. New Orleans scored at least 23 points in three of four preseason contests in 2014, while losing to Baltimore in the finale, 22-13 as three-point home favorites.

Baltimore
Head Coach: John Harbaugh (19-9 SU, 17-11 ATS in preseason)
Quarterback Rotation: Joe Flacco, Matt Schaub, Bryn Renner (Rookie)

The Ravens put together a perfect 4-0 preseason in 2014, which included a pair of home wins over the Redskins and 49ers. Baltimore cashed the ‘over’ in all four exhibition games in 2013, but the ‘under’ went 3-1 last preseason. The Ravens have scored at least 21 points in eight consecutive preseason games.

Jets at Lions (-4, 36) – 7:30 PM EST

New York
Head Coach: Todd Bowles (No preseason record)
Quarterback Rotation: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty (Rookie), Jake Heaps (Rookie)

Geno Smith’s broken jaw in a locker room skirmish made all the headlines even before the Jets played their first preseason game. The Jets’ quarterback is out for six-to-10 weeks, as Ryan Fitzpatrick is the front-runner for the starting job. Bowles enters his first season as head coach of the Jets, who split four preseason games last season, while covering just once. The Jets make their first trip to the Motor City since the opener of the 2013 preseason, losing to the Lions, 26-17 as a four-point underdog.

Detroit
Head Coach: Jim Caldwell (5-11 SU, 7-9 ATS in preseason)
Quarterback Rotation: Matthew Stafford, Dan Orlovsky, Kellen Moore, Garrett Gilbert

Caldwell compiled his best preseason record in four seasons as head man of the Colts and Lions, going 3-1 SU/ATS in 2014. In the three wins, the Lions allowed only one touchdown and 24 points, while cashing the ‘under’ in three of four preseason contests. Since 2013, Detroit has won four straight preseason games at Ford Field.

Packers at Patriots (-2 ½, 37 ½) – 7:30 PM EST

Green Bay
Head Coach: Mike McCarthy (18-18 SU, 18-18 ATS in preseason)
Quarterback Rotation: Aaron Rodgers, Scott Tolzien, Matt Blanchard (Rookie), Brett Hundley (Rookie)

The Packers take the field for the first time since getting shocked by the Seahawks in the NFC Championship. Green Bay dropped its preseason opener at Tennessee in 2014, but won its final three exhibition games, all by double-digits. The Packers are 0-5 in their last five preseason openers with the last victory in Game 1 of the exhibition season coming in 2009 against the Browns.

New England
Head Coach: Bill Belichick (44-37 SU, 40-34-7 ATS in preseason)
Quarterback Rotation: Jimmy Garoppolo, Ryan Lindley

Tom Brady is not expected to play in the preseason opener, as Jimmy Garoppolo will likely get the start at quarterback for the Patriots. Obviously, Garoppolo will see plenty of playing time during the preseason with Brady’s four-game suspension looming. The Patriots are riding a four-game home winning streak in the preseason, while scoring at least 25 points in each of those victories.

Redskins at Browns (-2, 37 ½) – 8:00 PM EST

Washington
Head Coach: Jay Gruden (3-1 SU, 2-2 ATS in preseason)
Quarterback Rotation: Robert Griffin III, Colt McCoy, Kirk Cousins

All of the promise from the 2014 preseason didn’t translate into success for the 2014 regular season in Washington. The Redskins won three of four exhibition games, including a 24-23 victory over the Browns at FedEx Field in Week 2 of the 2014 preseason. Since Robert Griffin III arrived in D.C. in 2012, the Redskins have fared extremely well in the preseason, winning 10 of 12 games.

Cleveland
Head Coach: Mike Pettine (1-3 SU, 2-2 ATS in preseason)
Quarterback Rotation: Josh McCown, Johnny Manziel, Thaddeus Lewis (Rookie), Connor Shaw

The quarterback battle heats up again in Cleveland as Josh McCown looks to be the front-runner for the starting job. Cleveland dropped three of four preseason games in Pettine’s first season, which included a pair of one-point losses to the Lions and Redskins. Prior to Pettine’s arrival, the Browns went 3-1 to the ‘over’ in 2013, but posted a 3-1 mark to the ‘under’ in his preseason debut.

Dolphins at Bears (-1 ½, 37) – 8:00 PM EST

Miami
Head Coach: Joe Philbin (5-8 SU, 3-9-1 ATS in preseason)
Quarterback Rotation: Ryan Tannehill, Matt Moore, Josh Freeman, McLeod Bethel-Thompson

Philbin put together his best preseason in three seasons as the coach of the Dolphins in 2014, posting a 3-1 record. After Miami lost its opener at Atlanta, the ‘Fins won the final three games, while going 3-0-1 to the ‘under’ last postseason. In Philbin’s tenure, the Dolphins have yet to win in their first preseason game, as Miami is 2-5 SU in seven exhibition contests away from South Florida since 2012.

Chicago
Head Coach: John Fox (28-24 SU, 24-27-1 ATS in preseason)
Quarterback Rotation: Jay Cutler, Jimmy Clausen, Shane Carden (Rookie)

It’s a new season for the Bears, who hope to put a five-game skid to finish off 2014 behind them. Chicago won both preseason games at Soldier Field last season, while compiling a 4-1 SU record in their last five preseason home contests. In Fox’s last three seasons as head coach of the Broncos, Denver won each of its three preseason openers.

Cowboys at Chargers (-4, 38) – 10:00 PM EST

Dallas
Head Coach: Jason Garrett (7-10 SU, 5-11-1 ATS in preseason)
Quarterback Rotation: Tony Romo, Brandon Weeden, Dustin Vaughan, Jameill Showers (Rookie)

The Cowboys didn’t show much in the 2014 preseason, failing to win a game in four tries, including a 27-7 setback at San Diego in the opener. Dallas has dropped five straight true road games in the preseason, with the only win away from Cowboys Stadium coming in the Hall of the Fame game over the Dolphins in 2013.

San Diego
Head Coach: Mike McCoy (3-5 SU, 3-4-1 ATS in preseason)
Quarterback Rotation: Philip Rivers, Kellen Clemens, Brad Sorensen, Chase Rettig (Rookie)

The Chargers haven’t been a great team to back in McCoy’s short tenure in the preseason. San Diego dropped a pair of home games by double-digits in his first season in 2013, while splitting four games in 2014. Six of the last eight preseason games played by the Lightning Bolts have been decided by 10 points or more, so don’t expect close contests when betting on San Diego in August.

Tokens
Preview: Rockies (47-65) at Mets (62-52)
Game: 4
Venue: Citi Field
Date: August 13, 2015 12:10 PM EDT

Noah Syndergaard has been markedly better at Citi Field than on the road during a scintillating rookie campaign.

Fortunately for the New York Mets, his next turn has him going at home Thursday against the Colorado Rockies, whose offense remains suppressed in Queens.

Syndergaard (6-6, 3.01 ERA) is 6-1 with a 1.57 ERA in eight home games, completing eight innings each time during a four-start winning streak there. He's struck out 47 batters over his last 38 innings at Citi Field spanning five outings.

Pitching anywhere else, however, has been an entirely different story for the 22-year-old. He gave up five runs and eight hits over four innings in a 5-4 loss at Tampa Bay on Saturday, falling to 0-5 on the road with a 5.01 ERA.

The 3.44 disparity between Syndergaard's home and road ERAs is the fourth-largest among pitchers who have logged at least 90 innings.

"I feel just as comfortable as when I'm home," he told MLB's official website. "You've got the home crowd there so it makes it a little bit easier to pitch, but I don't feel any different between home and road.

"It's just something that I'm going to have to learn to deal with."

A more aggressive approach may be one of the key differences for Syndergaard at Citi Field. He's walked six in 57 1-3 innings there compared to 16 over 41 1-3 on the road.

Luck also appears to be playing a big role. Opponents are hitting .255 on balls in play against the right-hander in Flushing and .358 elsewhere.

Colorado (47-65) was stifled yet again in the Mets' 3-0 victory Wednesday, fanning 10 times during Jacob deGrom's seven innings. New York (62-52) has won 11 of the last four overall meetings and has held the Rockies to seven runs during a nine-game winning streak in the series at Citi Field.

"They're shutting us down, and that's why they're winning the games," said Carlos Gonzalez, who is 1 for 11 through the first three games of this series after batting .396 during his previous 25.

The Mets own their best 59-game home record at 41-18 and can move 11 games over .500 for the first time since being 43-32 on June 27, 2010. They're also in position for their fourth sweep in their last seven home series of at least three games after sweeping only two series at Citi Field all of last year.

Lucas Duda missed his second consecutive game due to a stiff back, but said he was hopeful he'd be in Thursday's lineup. Duda's 21 homers and 55 RBIs lead the club and he has hit safely in all 11 career matchups with Colorado while batting .359.

Meanwhile, the Rockies have dropped 23 of 31 on the road and 10 of 14 overall.

Thursday's pitching matchup doesn't appear favorable with rookie Eddie Butler (3-9, 5.50) going 0-4 with a 7.86 ERA in his last five starts.

Unlike Syndergaard, he's likely happy to get away from his home park after posting a 7.28 ERA in six starts at Coors Field.

"We feel like there's still some more growth out in front of him," manager Walt Weiss said. "He's got the weapons. It's a matter of just becoming more polished as a pitcher."

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Rockies at Mets
Mon, Aug 10 Final 2 to 4
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Rockies at Mets
Tue, Aug 11 Final 0 to 4
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
Rockies at Mets
Wed, Aug 12 Final 0 to 3
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 4
Rockies at Mets
Thu, Aug 13 - 12:10PM EDT

Tokens
Preview: Athletics (51-64) at Blue Jays (63-52)
Game: 3
Venue: Rogers Centre
Date: August 13, 2015 12:37 PM EDT

The Toronto Blue Jays have seized first place behind a meteoric surge.

On a roll of his own, Mark Buehrle will try to help them match a club record for the second time this season Thursday against the visiting Oakland Athletics.

Trailing the New York Yankees by 6 1/2 games in the AL East after Aug. 1, Toronto (63-52) has outscored opponents 55-20 while winning 10 straight since. The Blue Jays climbed atop the division by one half-game after Wednesday's 10-3 victory coupled with the Yankees' loss to Cleveland. They hadn't been in first place since a 9-7 record after April 23 tied them with Boston and New York.

"It's great, don't get me wrong, but I think everyone in this club wants to be in first place on Game 162," Chris Colabello said after hitting his 11th home run. "That's what's important."

The Blue Jays can become the first team since the then-Florida Marlins in 2006 to match its best-ever winning streak twice in the same year. They also won 11 in a row June 2-14.

Buehrle (12-5, 3.34 ERA) is 7-1 with a 2.31 ERA in 13 starts since May 29, throwing at least seven innings in nine of 10. He surrendered multiple homers for the first time in 10 games Thursday, but limited Minnesota to three runs - all on those two shots - over seven innings in a 9-3 victory.

Buehrle's ERA is his lowest since 2005 when he went 16-8 for the Chicago White Sox.

Toronto's high-powered offense has been a superb complement to his trademark pitch-to-contact style. Opponents are making contact on a major league-high 24.6 percent of Buehrle's pitches, but he has been backed by a career-high 7.24 run support average.

"I don't know if it's the guys we brought in here, or the way we're playing right now, it's just that feeling that if we get down two runs in the first or second inning, just try to hold the other team down because we know we're going to score runs," he told MLB's official website. "Especially with this offense, we can put up a bunch of runs."

Buehrle held Oakland (51-64) to one run over seven innings in a 7-1 road victory July 21, improving to 5-1 with a 2.51 ERA in his last seven meetings.

Toronto continued to flex its offensive muscle Wednesday, also getting a home run from Justin Smoak. The Blue Jays have gone deep 18 times during their winning streak, even with Edwin Encarnacion missing the last three games due to a finger injury. Encarnacion, who is hitting .400 during an 11-game hitting streak, could return Thursday.

Sonny Gray (12-4, 2.06) looks like a challenging hurdle for Toronto, though, logging three complete games in his last six starts. He went the distance and limited Houston to five hits in a 3-1 victory Friday.

"I don't think it matters who he goes against," catcher Josh Phegley said. "He's just out to prove he's one of the best pitchers in the American League."

Gray can improve to 9-1 on the road, where he owns a major league-leading 1.64 ERA in 12 outings.

He's 1-1 with a 2.25 ERA in three career starts against Toronto, and gave up two runs over seven innings in a 4-3, 10-inning home victory July 22.

Jose Bautista is 5 for 10 against Gray while Encarnacion is 1 for 9.

Oakland is averaging 2.9 runs over its last 19 contests.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Athletics at Blue Jays
Tue, Aug 11 Final 2 to 4
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Athletics at Blue Jays
Wed, Aug 12 Final 3 to 10
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
Athletics at Blue Jays
Thu, Aug 13 - 12:37PM EDT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com