Phil Steele 10 Best College Football ATS Bets For Week 4 (ESPN INSIDER)

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]My 10 best Week 4 college football ATS bets[/h]Phil Steele, ESPN Staff Writer
ESPN INSIDER

Each week during the 2015 college football season, I will offer my selections and scores for the weekend's biggest games and a handful of other key matchups.
This year has started off on a solid note. In the first three weeks, I've gone 26-4 (87 percent) picking straight-up (SU) winners and 18-12 (60 percent) against the spread (ATS).
So far this year there have been eight meetings between ranked teams. The higher-ranked team is 7-1 SU but the underdog is 5-3 ATS in those matchups. This week there is only one matchup between ranked teams.
Note: Lines from Westgate SuperBook as of Thursday morning.

i
i

[h=2]Mississippi State Bulldogs at Auburn Tigers(-1.5)[/h]This selection is based on backing a team that is in desperation mode.

I picked Auburn lower than most other analysts this year (third) in the SEC West, but the Tigers were the SEC media's pick to win the league overall. Now they are at home and have benched QB Jeremy Johnson, who was one of the top five preseason favorites to win the Heisman.<offer style="box-sizing: border-box;"></offer>
Mississippi State has looked strong; statistically, the Bulldogs have outgained their foes by 158 yards per game while Auburn is minus-113 yards per game. This has to be a circle-the-wagons game for Gus Malzahn, Will Muschamp & Co., and they are playing at home with a legitimate revenge factor in a must-win game.
ATS pick: Auburn
Score: Auburn 31, Mississippi State 24

i
i

[h=2]No. 25 Missouri Tigers at Kentucky Wildcats (-3)[/h]Missouri has struggled to get past Arkansas State and Connecticut as a large favorite this season. QB Maty Mauk has been inconsistent, completing just 53 percent of his passes. Kentucky has already knocked off South Carolina, almost beat Florida, and will have a large crowd behind it.
With that said, I still like the Tigers here. They have started slow the last couple of years but have won the games they have needed to win. They actually have the nation's longest road win streak at 11. Kentucky QB Patrick Towles is completing just 52 percent of his passes, and the Wildcats have been outgained in every game. Their defense is yielding 380 YPG, while Missouri's defense has given up just 217 YPG. Missouri RB Russell Hansbrough should return this week (only seven carries in the first three games). I will take the two-time defending SEC East champions to win outright as a 'dog.
ATS pick: Missouri
Score: Missouri 20, Kentucky 17

i
i

[h=2]Hawaii Rainbow Warriors at No. 22Wisconsin Badgers (-24.5)[/h]I am a little surprised this game is at night, as the Badgers usually save nighttime games for their toughest opponents. Hawaii is off to a 2-1 start this year, is optimistic about making a bowl, and is 2-0 ATS with covers versus Colorado and Ohio State. Hawaii QB Max Wittek, a transfer from USC, was my No. 8 QB out of high school. He has completed just 50 percent with five touchdowns and four interceptions.
While Hawaii covered at Ohio State, the Rainbow Warriors were catching the Buckeyes off a Monday night game and thus playing on a very short week the following Saturday. Hawaii still lost 38-0, and versus FBS teams is averaging just 13 first downs and 233 yards per game. Wisconsin is holding its opponents to 133 yards below their season average.
ATS pick: Wisconsin
Score: Wisconsin 38, Hawaii 6

i
i

[h=2]No. 19 USC Trojans (-5.5) at Arizona State Sun Devils[/h]I picked USC last week and the Trojans really disappointed me with that 41-31 home loss to Stanford. The good news is they have proved to be one of the best teams in the country after a loss the past two seasons, going 8-0 SU and 7-1 ATS, with their lone loss by a half-point.
Arizona State has been underwhelming this year, getting blown out by Texas A&M and then struggling at home versus a couple of overmatched foes. Last week the Trojans were mauled by one of the best offensive lines in the country, but this week they take on a rebuilt offensive line. USC's defense has to be in an angry mood, as its offense is gaining 220 yards more than its opponents are allowing on average in their other games. USC blew an 11-point lead and lost on a Hail Mary last year against ASU. There will be no such letup if the Trojans are up big this year.
ATS pick: USC
Score: USC 34, Arizona State 24

i
i

[h=2]No. 8 LSU Tigers (-24.5) at Syracuse Orange[/h]Normally, this would be a letdown spot for LSU, as they just won back-to-back revenge games versus Mississippi State and Auburn. The Tigers have only Eastern Michigan on deck, and after having their opener cancelled there are a lot of talented second- and third-stringers who will be excited for playing time in the second half.
Syracuse has one of the best statistical rush defenses in the country, but the Orange are allowing 469 yards per game to FBS foes. Versus Wake Forest and Central Michigan, they have allowed 402 yards per game through the air and 70 percent completions. That makes this the perfect game for Brandon Harris to work on his passing skills to prepare for future big SEC games. Syracuse lost starting QB Terrel Hunt in Week 1. Last week, solid replacement Eric Dungeywas injured in the second quarter. Syracuse had 285 yards at the half and just 41 yards in the second half, but won in OT without him. The Orange used their third- and fourth-string QBs during that time, and those guys must now face LSU's defense. I don't see that going well.
ATS pick: LSU
Score: LSU 38, Syracuse 6

i
i

[h=2]No. 9 UCLA Bruins (-3.5) at No. 16 Arizona Wildcats[/h]College GameDay will be on hand, so the home crowd will be at its best. Veteran Arizona QB Anu Solomon is completing 68 percent of his passes with 10 touchdowns and zero interceptions. UCLA true freshman QB Josh Rosen had a huge first game but has thrown four interceptions the last two games and is hitting under 50 percent of his passes in those.
I still like the Bruins here. Arizona has taken on three creampuffs, and its defense is allowing opponents to gain 94 yards per game more than what they are averaging in all their other games. UCLA has my No. 11-rated defense while Arizona comes in at No. 79. UCLA is the more complete team and grabs the road win.
ATS pick: UCLA
Score: UCLA 35, Arizona 27

i
i

[h=2]Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks at No. 12Alabama Crimson Tide (-38)[/h]Alabama is coming off a home loss to Ole Miss, and now the Tide play a ULM team that lost to Georgia 51-14 in the season opener -- and that game was shortened by 10 minutes due to bad weather. Believe it or not, Alabama has failed to cover its last four games off a straight-up loss. The Crimson Tide are also in a large sandwich situation here. They're coming off that titanic tussle versus Ole Miss, and they have a road game versus No. 7 Georgia on deck. ULM comes into this fresh off a bye and has played the big boys tough.
Last year ULM went on the road and almost upset Texas A&M, losing 21-16. The Warhawks have a gambling, blitzing defense with eight starters back. ULM allowed LSU only 31 points last year and yielded just 322 yards per game versus three SEC foes. Coach Todd Berry thinks he has his best team yet, and QBGarrett Smith is completing 79 percent of his passes with a 5-1 ratio.
ATS pick: Louisiana-Monroe
Score: Alabama 37, ULM 10

i
i

[h=2]Vanderbilt Commodores at No. 3 Ole Miss Rebels (-24.5)[/h]Ole Miss comes in averaging 64 points per game and just went to Alabama and hung 43 on the Tide. The Rebels now take on Vanderbilt, which is 0-2 versus FBS teams. Ole Miss went on the road and beat Vandy last year 41-3, with a 547-167 yardage edge.
However, I actually like the underdog here. Ole Miss is coming off a large upset win on the road, has skyrocketed up the polls from No. 15 to No. 3, and is in a sandwich game with a trip to the Swamp to face Florida (3-0) next week. Vanderbilt actually has one of the nation's most improved defenses this year, holding their FBS foes to 208 yards below their season average.
Georgia was not in a sandwich when it faced Vanderbilt in Week 2, and Vanderbilt was outgained only 422-400 and stayed within 17 points. Look for Vanderbilt to keep this closer than expected.
ATS pick: Vanderbilt
Score: Ole Miss 41, Vanderbilt 20

i
i

[h=2]Massachusetts Minutemen at No. 8 Notre Dame Fighting Irish (-29)[/h]Sandwiches have been very tasty for the underdogs, and I am 3-0 in games involving the Irish this year. This week the Irish are coming off a big win over Georgia Tech; the defense did a masterful job of preparing and then stopping the option. Notre Dame was fueled by the fact it was a home underdog. Next week, the Fighting Irish have a huge road test at Clemson.
Massachusetts' first road game of the season was a big loss to Colorado; last week, UMass should have beaten Temple. UMass QB Blake Frohnapfel is solid (393 yards versus a good Temple defense); he gives the Minutemen backdoor potential. Also, the way Notre Dame's starters have been dropping like flies, Brian Kelly might have them in bubble wrap in the second half.
ATS pick: Massachusetts
Score: Notre Dame 41, Massachusetts 19

i
i

[h=2]Western Michigan Broncos at No. 1 Ohio State Buckeyes (-31.5)[/h]<article class="ad-300" style="box-sizing: border-box; clear: both; overflow: hidden; position: relative; z-index: 1000026; margin: 0px 0px 0px 10px; float: right; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-size: 16px;">
</article>I picked Ohio State last week in my column and they let me down -- and almost lost the game outright to MAC member Northern Illinois. Now the Buckeyes take on another strong MAC team. There is pressure to get the offense going after gaining just 363 and 298 yards the last two weeks. Western Michigan is allowing opponents 81 yards more than their season average, so it should come this week.
Ohio State's defense has been impenetrable, holding its three opponents to 277 yards below their season averages. While Western Michigan stayed close in a 37-24 loss to Michigan State earlier this season, it was a rare home game versus a Big Ten team. The Broncos were fired up and Michigan State led 34-10 in the third quarter, with Western Michigan's only score coming on a kick-return TD. Michigan State had a huge game on deck versus Oregon and started to look ahead. Ohio State has only Indiana on deck and won't be peeking ahead.

ATS pick: Ohio State
Score: Ohio State 48,Western Michigan 10

Tokens
Last week he claimed an 18-2 SU record and now he's claiming 26-4. He didn't go 8-2 last week; once a tout monkey, always a tout monkey.

MLB Junkie
Tokens
Last week he claimed an 18-2 SU record and now he's claiming 26-4. He didn't go 8-2 last week; once a tout monkey, always a tout monkey.

If true, I think it's hilarious how these dudes just make up their own record and get away with it and get people to actually pay them for who they like on a football game lmao

I'm from the government and I'm here to help
Tokens
predictable response except he did go 8-2 SU

Phil Steele, ESPN Staff Writer
ESPN INSIDER

Each week during the 2015 college football season, I will offer up my selections and scores for the weekend's biggest games, in addition to a handful of other key matchups. This year has started off on a solid note, as my first two weeks of selections have now gone 18-2 (90 percent) picking the straight-up winners and 12-8 (60 percent) against the spread.
Here are my best bets on Week 3's biggest games:
Note: All lines from Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook as of Thursday morning.

i
i

No. 14 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at No. 8Notre Dame Fighting Irish (+2.5)

Why is No. 8 Notre Dame a home dog to No. 14 Georgia Tech? There are a couple of main reasons. Notre Dame is without its starting quarterback Malik Zaire, top two projected running backs and its starting nose tackle (Jarron Jones), who are all out for the year. People know that the Fighting Irish are overpriced at home, which is why they are just 18-31-5 as a home favorite over the past 11 years. Also Georgia Tech has a lot of people following the hottest team in football, as the Yellow Jackets have covered nine games in a row including outright upsets of Clemson, Georgia and Mississippi State.<offer style="box-sizing: border-box;"></offer>
With that said, I like the Irish here, as my computer is calling for them to win the game outright. While Notre Dame has struggled against Navy's option in recent years, with two games against the option in 2015, the Fighting Irish probably spent a good portion of the spring and August prepping for it.
I like redshirt freshman quarterback DeShone Kizer, who is 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, has a strong arm and is athletic. He gained a lot of confidence with that big TD pass against Virginia on the road to pull out the win. Also, running back C.J. Prosise has looked great since moving back from wide receiver and has rushed for 253 yards (6.8 YPC) on the year. Notre Dame has nine returning starters on defense; they should circle the wagons and get the home win here.
ATS pick: Notre Dame
Score: Notre Dame 31. Georgia Tech 27

i
i

Northern Illinois Huskies at No. 1 Ohio State Buckeyes (-33)

Last week on College Football Live, I mentioned that Las Vegas had made bettors pay an extra price for the top teams in the country, as the top 11 teams in the AP poll were just 1-6 versus the number in Las Vegas when facing nonranked FBS foes. This week, the number seems a little more reasonable.
Last week Ohio State was coming off a Monday night game, playing on a short week and had everyone singing their praises during the week. They had just 363 yards of offense against a beatable Hawaii defense. Last year they were held to less than 400 yards of offense just twice and bounced back in their next games with 628 and 545 yards, scoring 66 and 55 points.
Northern Illinois has been to five straight MAC title games, and that will get the Buckeyes' attention, as will watching film of last weeks "disappointing" 38-0 win. So far this year, Northern has won by at least a couple of touchdowns fewer than I expected in both games. Last year the Huskies won 11 games, but when they went on the road at Arkansas, they were crushed 52-14, and that Arkansas team had come in 5-10 in the Bret Bielema era prior. Ohio State is at a much higher level.
ATS pick: Ohio State
Score: Ohio State 52, Northern Illinois 10

i
i

Air Force Falcons at No. 4 Michigan State Spartans (-27.5)

This is a nice situation for Air Force. Michigan State just had a huge game against Oregon that went to the wire, got the big win and now has a great shot at making the playoff this year. The Spartans do have only Central Michigan on deck but Air Force is a tough foe to play.
Air Force runs the option, which requires extra focus from the defense, and one breakdown in lane discipline could result in a TD. Playing in the Big Ten, the Spartans rarely face the option. They also have a lot of NFL-caliber defensive linemen who will likely be very concerned with the Falcons' cut-blocking techniques.
I am not concerned with Air Force being down to its backup quarterback, as the coaching staff has faith in Karson Roberts. Michigan State has a large edge but is in a letdown spot, and I can't see Mark Dantonio running up the score against a service academy, so this will be closer than expected.
ATS pick: Air Force
Score: Michigan St 41, Air Force 21

i
i

No. 15 Ole Miss Rebels at No. 2 Alabama Crimson Tide (-6)

Ole Miss has vaulted to No. 1 in the ESPN Football Power Index ratings, and its offense leads the nation in scoring at 74.5 points per game behind new starting quarterback Chad Kelly. The Rebels have a top-10 defensive front seven and last year beat Bama at home 23-17.
This game reminds me a little of 2013, when Alabama was a two-touchdown favorite at home but many were calling for an upset. The Tide were fully focused and rolled to a 25-0 win versus an Ole Miss team that came in averaging 38 PPG.
Alabama has my No. 1-rated defensive front seven, is at home and is playing with revenge from its only loss of the regular season in 2014. Alabama held some stuff back last week and only has Louisiana Monroe on deck, so this is the game the Tide wanted. Nick Saban has won his past seven SEC opening games by an average of 24.4 PPG and only once did he win an opener in that span by less than seven.
ATS pick: Alabama
Score: Alabama 28, Ole Miss 17

i
i

Georgia State Panthers at No. 12 Oregon Ducks (-47.5)

Oregon impressed me last week and had the ball late with a chance to tie or win but came up just short against one of the top teams in the country in a very hostile setting.
Georgia State has a solid quarterback in Nick Arbuckle, who has thrown for 671 yards (ninth best in the country) and completed 66 percent of his passes. Georgia State is a poor team that is just 2-24 since joining the FBS ranks in 2013, but the Panthers have been an underdog of 15 or more points eight times in that span and are 8-0 against the spread in those games.
The Ducks are coming off that big game and have their Pac-12 opener on deck, so this would classify as a sandwich and a flat spot. Georgia State is on its second straight long trip but should keep this closer than expected.
ATS pick: Georgia State
Score: Oregon 52, Georgia State 17

i
i

No. 23 Northwestern Wildcats at Duke Blue Devils (-3.5)

Northwestern has been a snake-bitten team the past couple of years but has had talent. Last year the Wildcats lost a lot of close games but still managed wins over Wisconsin, Notre Dame and Penn State. This year the Wildcats finally have a quarterback that fits their offense, as Clayton Thorson is 6-4, 210 and can hurt defenses both running and passing.
They took on a strong Stanford team and dominated them in the opener and I think they are still under the radar. Duke is a strong team, and the Blue Devils might actually be stronger at quarterback than they were last year. I have been very impressed with Thomas Sirk who is 6-4 with a strong arm. He leads the team in rushing and has hit 68 percent of his passes with five touchdowns and zero interceptions.
My computer has Duke winning by 3 but Northwestern outgaining them; I think I will be using Northwestern often in this section, as they are way under the radar this year.
ATS pick: Northwestern
Score: Northwestern 24, Duke 23

i
i

BYU Cougars at No. 10 UCLA Bruins (-16)

Last week I had BYU in this section, and in the final minute against Boise State they trailed by three and were just outside field goal range. For the second straight week,Tanner Mangum delivered a Hail Mary touchdown pass on fourth down, and the Cougars added an interception return for a TD in the final seconds for an 11-point win.
BYU does have belief on its side. If the Cougars enter the fourth quarter and the game is even close, they will believe they can win. They also have a Bronco Mendenhall defense going against a true frosh quarterback.
I like UCLA in this one because of the situation. UCLA is a superior team to both Nebraska and Boise State, the teams BYU has already beaten. Also, this has to be a letdown spot for BYU. It was an emotional road win, followed by a very emotional home upset win over Boise State and the Cougars now have to travel and face UCLA before a charged-up nighttime crowd going against them. This will be Mangum's first road start, and the gas tank might be empty.
ATS pick: UCLA
Score: UCLA 38, Brigham Young 20

i
i

Stanford Cardinal at No. 6 USC Trojans(-9.5)

I was very high on both these teams at the start of the year. I picked USC to make the 2015 playoff as the Pac-12 champ and the Trojans have looked the part. They have outscored Arkansas State and Idaho by almost 100 combined points (99), and their offense is putting up 623 yards per game.
Stanford struggled in Week 1 and got upset by Northwestern. Last week they bounced back and wiped out UCF at home 31-7 with a 491-181 yard edge. I still expect them to challenge Oregon in the Pac-12 North.
USC is a complete team this year, as its lowest-rated position unit in the front of my magazine is the running backs, who are 13th best in the country. Stanford's running game is not up to where I think it will be, averaging just 3.2 YPC. Last year Stanford lost at Arizona State on the road by 16 and at Oregon by 29. I think this goes a similar way.
ATS pick: USC
Score: USC 32, Stanford 14

i
i

No. 18 Auburn Tigers at No. 13 LSU Tigers(-7)

Line value is clearly on Auburn's side, as before the year they were anywhere from pick-'em to +3 in this game. After they barely got past Jacksonville State, they plummeted to No. 18 in the rankings, are now a touchdown dog and are getting beat up by the media nationally. They still are a 2-0 team with the same talent that had everyone calling them a national title contender, so if that is what you believe they are, then the value is there.
Last week LSU let me down, as watching the game early it appeared the Tigers were on their way to a blowout road win, but they let Mississippi State come back to cover the number (and almost win).
LSU is out to avenge its 41-7 blowout loss to Auburn last year and has won its past seven matchups at home against Auburn by 18 PPG. I had LSU favored by a touchdown in my rankings before the year and was impressed with quarterback Brandon Harris, who I think will have a breakout game here.Jeremy Johnson has not played up to my level of expectations and has not only thrown five interceptions, but he has also had about another five dropped. I will call for LSU to win this by 10.
ATS pick: LSU
Score: LSU 31, Auburn 21

i
i

UTSA Roadrunners at Oklahoma State Cowboys (-24)

Last year the Cowboys had the least experienced team in the country, having to replace half their lettermen, and UTSA had the most experienced. Oklahoma State was favored by only two touchdowns but won 43-13 with a 477-206 yard edge.
This year Oklahoma State has 16 returning starters and UTSA is the least experienced team in the FBS with just six returning starters. UTSA did outgain Arizona in the opener 525-392 but last week probably showed its true colors getting beat 30-3 at home by Kansas State.
Oklahoma State has opened up slowly the first two weeks and needs to get in stride this week. The Cowboys have large edges on offense and defense as well as on special teams. Look for Mike Gundy to put the hammer down here and get his team firing on all cylinders for its game next week against Texas.

ATS pick: Oklahoma State
Score: Oklahoma St 44, UTSA 10

I'm from the government and I'm here to help
Tokens
If true, I think it's hilarious how these dudes just make up their own record and get away with it and get people to actually pay them for who they like on a football game lmao
nobody posting on ESPN is making up a record that can be backtracked in 3 seconds. unlike this place where the wannabe Phil Steele's fake their record daily

Tokens
8-2 SU when the average spread for those games was over 17.5 points not very impressive at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElmaODrisc
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com