The Big 12 will discuss expansion this week per Sporting News

Search

Tokens
The Big 12 Conference will seriously discuss expansion at its conference meetings this week, reports the Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy.
A source told DeCourcy that BYU remains attractive but has "obstacles that appear to be too considerable," including an unwillingness to compete on Sundays. The Big 12 will reportedly consider Cincinnati, Connecticut, Central Florida and South Florida. University of Oklahoma president David Boren has long lobbied for the league to expand, arguing that the Big 12 is at a disadvantage to rival leagues with 12-15 schools. A recent rule change does allow 10-team leagues to hold a championship game, which lessens some of the pressure to add. Stay tuned.

Tokens
Just my opinion, but why not bring in 6 new teams and become the biggest conference in football? Bring in Houston, BYU, UConn, Cincy, USF & UCF so we can expand our recruiting into big markets and multi-sport potential...

Tokens
Just my opinion, but why not bring in 6 new teams and become the biggest conference in football? Bring in Houston, BYU, UConn, Cincy, USF & UCF so we can expand our recruiting into big markets and multi-sport potential...

With recruiting conducted aggressively nationwide, your Big-12 expansion suggestion(s) sound legit to me Sooner.....Years back schools rarely left their home-states to fill their rosters.......Those days are long gone.

RX Old-Timer
Tokens
Why bring in UH, you've got that area covered with the alums from Texas, Baylor, Tech and both Ok teams. UH is only appealing because of a facilities upgrade and their HC. No telling when that HC bolts for UT though. The other schools expand your conference but you aren't really gonna compete in Florida against the SEC and ACC with UCF/USF.
Question for OU fans is when UT does not want to expand and give up their share of the pie, does OU have the balls to leave the conference and go Big10, SEC, or PAC12? So far, Boren has been all talk or as we say in Texas, "All Hat and no Cattle".

Tokens
Why bring in UH, you've got that area covered with the alums from Texas, Baylor, Tech and both Ok teams. UH is only appealing because of a facilities upgrade and their HC. No telling when that HC bolts for UT though. The other schools expand your conference but you aren't really gonna compete in Florida against the SEC and ACC with UCF/USF.
Question for OU fans is when UT does not want to expand and give up their share of the pie, does OU have the balls to leave the conference and go Big10, SEC, or PAC12? So far, Boren has been all talk or as we say in Texas, "All Hat and no Cattle".
Both Houston and BYU were purely speculation on my part and just a couple schools I threw out there for an example. I think Houston would probably be a last choice, and BYU has too much baggage. Plus those 2 schools would probably be a disaster for the Big 12 as far as recruiting is concerned for OU and Texas. Boren is the one stopping progress for OU. I wish the old man would just retire. He doesn't want to go to the SEC, which geographically is probably the best choice. Even Mizzou, who lost a lot of their recruiting in Texas when they went to the SEC, gained much of that back by focusing some of their recruiting on Florida. So in that regard, it would also be good for Oklahoma if they were to join the SEC along with maybe OSU or Kansas to make it 16 teams. That would probably be my second choice since it looks like joining the Pac-12 is probably more of a longshot now than it would have been around 5 years ago. Realistically, I doubt the Big 12 would ever vote to expand to 16 teams because the pie is just not fat enough to split 16 ways. I would just be happy with two. Personally I don't believe there are any schools left out there that they could add at this point that will make the Big 12 a more attractive option for OU than just leaving and heading to the SEC. All are mid majors that aren't going to make the Big 12 stronger. But 10 teams isn't going to work either.

Tokens
Even Mizzou, who lost a lot of their recruiting in Texas when they went to the SEC, gained much of that back by focusing some of their recruiting on Florida. So in that regard, it would also be good for Oklahoma if they were to join the SEC

Oklahoma's recruiting footprint...looking Big Tenish, what with all those Pennsylvania kids....and where are the Texas recruits....almost like they are preparing themselves for their exit.

Tokens
Oklahoma's recruiting footprint...looking Big Tenish, what with all those Pennsylvania kids....and where are the Texas recruits....almost like they are preparing themselves for their exit.
I agree, the Texas pipeline has pretty much dried up for OU because of A$M, Baylor TCU, and now UT back on their game. It would be a perfect time to scoot out of this conference if they don't make an attempt to expand it. The SEC is of course the strongest conference, but the Big 10 would offer an Ohio pipeline where the Stoops brothers are legends with the HS coaches. Plus conference choice isn't just about football. Another half a billion dollars can do wonders for a university. And the Big 10 has plenty of money to go around. OU would probably develop better rivalries in the SEC with schools like Arkansas and LSU and renewing their series with A$M and maybe Mizzou. If I knew Bama and Auburn would be bumped to the East Division I would feel a lot better about it...lol

RX Old-Timer
Tokens
GS, maybe it is time for OU to look at the SEC. I don't think Boren is off base, I think he just doesn't want the conference to fall too far behind. SEC and Big10 both have big booming networks. PAC12 is in negotiations with FOX to partner/sell part of their network and force DirecTV's hand. If that works out for them, they'll be on their way to increasing their revenue. ACC is in talks about getting a network. The way the Big12 is set up now, it works really well for Texas and from a revenue perspective, it will help to keep Texas ahead of them. If the SEC took OU and WVa and go to 16, that would make them even stronger in football, and bump up basketball as well. It would help WVa because UK, Tenn, Vandy, SoCar, would be much easier travel than what they have now.

Tokens
Oklahoma should move to SEC imo.

Tokens
If they don't add Houston they are retards. Trying to expand tv area should be a secondary consideration. Adding the directional Florida schools is pointless, they have no true "fans". Cincinnati? Who cares!

Start with Houston and go from there.

Tokens
If the SEC were to expand I think they want the states of Virginia and North Carolina first: Va Tech & NC State, specifically.

Oklahoma would be nice, but I think Oklahoma stays where they are familiar. Moving to the SEC would be hell on their fan base as far as travel.

Tokens
If the SEC were to expand I think they want the states of Virginia and North Carolina first: Va Tech & NC State, specifically.

Oklahoma would be nice, but I think Oklahoma stays where they are familiar. Moving to the SEC would be hell on their fan base as far as travel.

Doesnt either North Carolina or Virginia have state laws preventing one of those schools leaving without the other in-state rivals?

Tokens
Doesnt either North Carolina or Virginia have state laws preventing one of those schools leaving without the other in-state rivals?

I'm not sure about state laws, but UVA, UNC, and Duke aren't leaving. They will always be a part of the ACC, along w/ WF (the "tobacco road" schools). NC State is similar to Texas A&M as they are the "step-child" and they would gladly leave for the SEC. Va Tech was an independent for years, went to the Big East and are now an ACC team. They are a logical add for the SEC. That gives the SEC 16 teams and 2 additional states.

Sure, UNC and/or UVA would bring better overall programs and prestige but that's not happening for the SEC. South Carolina doesn't want Clemson the same was UF doesn't want FSU in the conference, so that's not going to happen. NC State & Va Tech make sense and are realistic.

Tokens
GS, maybe it is time for OU to look at the SEC. I don't think Boren is off base, I think he just doesn't want the conference to fall too far behind. SEC and Big10 both have big booming networks. PAC12 is in negotiations with FOX to partner/sell part of their network and force DirecTV's hand. If that works out for them, they'll be on their way to increasing their revenue. ACC is in talks about getting a network. The way the Big12 is set up now, it works really well for Texas and from a revenue perspective, it will help to keep Texas ahead of them. If the SEC took OU and WVa and go to 16, that would make them even stronger in football, and bump up basketball as well. It would help WVa because UK, Tenn, Vandy, SoCar, would be much easier travel than what they have now.
Win...I'm not sure if Boren is bluffing or if he really has a plan to get us out of this conference. Hopefully he'll man up and won't be a wallflower again. Right now the problem with going to the SEC or any other conference for that matter, is the Grant of Rights OU signed a couple of years ago. I've read snippets of the GOR, and it definitely has some teeth. It's going to be hard for OU to just walk without paying a very heavy price. I've always had the feeling that the conference needs to "blow up" for OU not to have to pay the damages with the conference. But the real damage has already been done. Boren and Castiglione were very negligent to sign the GOR in the first place. OU had very little incentive to lock themselves into that contract for 10+ years with only a 10 team conference and the only other power school being Texas. The rest of the conference had zero non-Big 12 negotiating options. So the school President should have never put the conference interests over their own. As for Boren, I'm always very suspicious of him. I have a gut feeling what he's doing is trying to force the league into raiding another conference for two adequate replacements. I don't think he really expects it to come to fruition, but it would give him some ammo to fight the GOR lawsuit when/if OU leaves. He will have at least one leg to stand on since the conference has basically done nothing to build their GOR value. That sort of thing. So their off to see the Wizard try to build value of their own... Or he could just do nothing as usual because he's afraid of Texas and the pukes.

RX Old-Timer
Tokens
Win...I'm not sure if Boren is bluffing or if he really has a plan to get us out of this conference. Hopefully he'll man up and won't be a wallflower again. Right now the problem with going to the SEC or any other conference for that matter, is the Grant of Rights OU signed a couple of years ago. I've read snippets of the GOR, and it definitely has some teeth. It's going to be hard for OU to just walk without paying a very heavy price. I've always had the feeling that the conference needs to "blow up" for OU not to have to pay the damages with the conference. But the real damage has already been done. Boren and Castiglione were very negligent to sign the GOR in the first place. OU had very little incentive to lock themselves into that contract for 10+ years with only a 10 team conference and the only other power school being Texas. The rest of the conference had zero non-Big 12 negotiating options. So the school President should have never put the conference interests over their own. As for Boren, I'm always very suspicious of him. I have a gut feeling what he's doing is trying to force the league into raiding another conference for two adequate replacements. I don't think he really expects it to come to fruition, but it would give him some ammo to fight the GOR lawsuit when/if OU leaves. He will have at least one leg to stand on since the conference has basically done nothing to build their GOR value. That sort of thing. So their off to see the Wizard try to build value of their own... Or he could just do nothing as usual because he's afraid of Texas and the pukes.
When OU finds a dance partner, do like Maryland did and take it to arbitration and find an amount less than the $50Mil or so. You'd make that back in a couple of years in the SEC or Big10. Way I understand it (unofficially) is you take what you are owed by the conference, then subtract what what the rights for the next couple of years would be based on your potential revenue. If it's SEC, then I'm sure ESPN can go to Big12 and strongly recommend that they take a lesser amount. But of course, that would be completely off the record. If you leave the Big12, there wont be much of a conference left so it may be a moot point.

Tokens
When OU finds a dance partner, do like Maryland did and take it to arbitration and find an amount less than the $50Mil or so. You'd make that back in a couple of years in the SEC or Big10. Way I understand it (unofficially) is you take what you are owed by the conference, then subtract what what the rights for the next couple of years would be based on your potential revenue. If it's SEC, then I'm sure ESPN can go to Big12 and strongly recommend that they take a lesser amount. But of course, that would be completely off the record. If you leave the Big12, there wont be much of a conference left so it may be a moot point.
WinOne, I agree. It's just a matter of Boren growing some balls and making the first move. But don't be surprised if he does make the move, that it's to the BIG. He hates the SEC, and he loves the higher academics of the BIG. Plus there's a lot of money to be made in the Big 10. There will probably never be a better time to make that move than now, when OU has the leverage from making the college football playoff and being in the top 5 in basketball. The only negative to that is going to the Big 10 will probably hurt OU even further with recruiting in Texas. So right now it's a decision of sports vs academics. Most college presidents will chose academics. I really wish Boren would just retire and let somebody else make the decision..

Tokens
From a recruiting perspective, OU would be the top team in a B10 West division, and 3rd overall. In fact, if you put the Big Ten last five year rankings (247 composite) there really is 3 tiers. OSU and UM are on their own, then followed by MSU, PSU and Nebraska all averaging around 27-28ish. It drops off pretty fast from there, Wisconsin may have been mid 30ish with Iowa at 50. Thats 1 west team in the top 30. In the current landscape, thats an easier path to the playoff than a 9 game round robin recruiting vs 4 texas (including tam) teams that seem to be doing pretty good and locking up the border, plus some SEC invasion. Or the alternative of landing in the SEC West where you have to deal with the recruiting jugernaught of Alabama/LSU and the other division teams doing who knows what to keep up with those two. It might be time to stop worrying about being so texas recruit-dependent, as we see the well slowing to a trickle before they even jumped the oil rig. OU is a national brand and will have to continue to recruit that way.

RX Old-Timer
Tokens
WinOne, I agree. It's just a matter of Boren growing some balls and making the first move. But don't be surprised if he does make the move, that it's to the BIG. He hates the SEC, and he loves the higher academics of the BIG. Plus there's a lot of money to be made in the Big 10. There will probably never be a better time to make that move than now, when OU has the leverage from making the college football playoff and being in the top 5 in basketball. The only negative to that is going to the Big 10 will probably hurt OU even further with recruiting in Texas. So right now it's a decision of sports vs academics. Most college presidents will chose academics. I really wish Boren would just retire and let somebody else make the decision..
i always thought the best bet would have been to go West where you could recruit CA and still have TX in your back pocket. Either way, there is still a huge presence of OU fans here in NTx. It seems that OU has not hit Texas as hard recently but that may just be a minor phase. No matter which direction they go, I think they will still be able to recruit the state.

Tokens
i always thought the best bet would have been to go West where you could recruit CA and still have TX in your back pocket. Either way, there is still a huge presence of OU fans here in NTx. It seems that OU has not hit Texas as hard recently but that may just be a minor phase. No matter which direction they go, I think they will still be able to recruit the state.
I hope you're right about OU's recruiting in Texas. It becomes an uphill battle when you have cheaters like Ole Miss coming into Texas and pulling 4 and 5 star players out of that state with a bag of money. It's one reason why I wish they would throw the book at them (Baylor too). Although they probably won't. The PAC would probably be the second best choice to improve OU's recruiting, behind the SEC. The better quality of schedule goes to the SEC. The PAC would be better for having a more realistic chance of winning a NC. But when it comes to the money and prestige, the SEC and BIG win out over the PAC. For conference championships OU staying in the Big 12 is the way to go. Problem with that is OU will NOT win the national championship by staying in the Big 12. There's the rub.

Tokens
From a recruiting perspective, OU would be the top team in a B10 West division, and 3rd overall. In fact, if you put the Big Ten last five year rankings (247 composite) there really is 3 tiers. OSU and UM are on their own, then followed by MSU, PSU and Nebraska all averaging around 27-28ish. It drops off pretty fast from there, Wisconsin may have been mid 30ish with Iowa at 50. Thats 1 west team in the top 30. In the current landscape, thats an easier path to the playoff than a 9 game round robin recruiting vs 4 texas (including tam) teams that seem to be doing pretty good and locking up the border, plus some SEC invasion. Or the alternative of landing in the SEC West where you have to deal with the recruiting jugernaught of Alabama/LSU and the other division teams doing who knows what to keep up with those two. It might be time to stop worrying about being so texas recruit-dependent, as we see the well slowing to a trickle before they even jumped the oil rig. OU is a national brand and will have to continue to recruit that way.
Whatever decision OU makes, they really need to give the future some serious thought. Things could change drastically when Bob Stoops retires. And it may not be for the better. If we join the SEC and he retires, it could make the Gary Gibbs years look wonderful. I think the transition would at least be a little smoother by going to the BIG. And I would much rather play the Nebraska's and Iowa's than I would Tech or Baylor. The biggest problem I see is the geography. Would players from the south be willing to come to OU when they know half of their games will be played up in the cold weather north? Meyer can recruit players from the south, but I have my doubts that Stoops can. Tell you the truth, I see a lot of positives and negatives no matter which conference OU joins. I don't think Oklahoma is a very good cultural fit for the PAC. And I can certainly understand Boren's disdain for the SEC. But like it or not they are the best conference, and should be given serious consideration. The best scenario would probably be a BIG nationwide realignment move which results in a totally restructured Big 12 without the LHN. But I don't think that's going to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com