Cnotes 2016 NFL News-Notes-Gossip !

Search

Tokens
25 prospects scheduled to attend NFL draft
April 12, 2016

The NFL said Tuesday that 25 prospects are scheduled to attend the draft in Chicago at the end of the month.

Among the 25 players are five from Ohio State, including defensive end Joey Bosa, who is expected to be a high pick.

Other Buckeyes include cornerback Eli Apple, offensive tackle Taylor Decker, running back Ezekiel Elliott and linebacker Darron Lee. The five Ohio State players tie the mark set by Alabama in 2012.

Among the others scheduled to attend are Cal quarterback Jared Goff; Mississippi defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche; Clemson defensive ends Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd; UCLA linebacker Myles Jack; Baylor wide receiver Corey Coleman; and Michigan State offensive tackle Jack Conklin.

Twelve college coaches, including Nick Saban from defending champion Alabama, are also scheduled to attend.

Other coaches include Ohio State's Urban Meyer, Florida State's Jimbo Fisher, and Clemson's Dabo Swinney.

The first round of the NFL draft will be April 28. The second and third rounds will be on April 29, and the final four rounds will be on April 30.

The draft returned to Chicago last year for the first time since 1964.

Tokens
Patriots re-sign Blount, add Coleman, King
April 12, 2016

BOSTON (AP) LeGarrette Blount's second stint with the New England Patriots will continue.

The Patriots announced Tuesday they re-signed the 29-year-old veteran, extending a tenure that began in 2013 and resumed in 2014 following a brief stop in Pittsburgh that year.

The Patriots also announced the signings of free agent defensive back Justin Coleman and safety Brandon King.

Blount was having a solid season in 2015, rushing for 703 yards - his most since 2013 - and six touchdowns. But he was placed on season-ending injured reserve in December with a hip injury.

Even with Blount's signing, the Patriots may take a running back in the upcoming draft.

Coleman appeared in 10 games with two starts for New England last season, and finished with 21 tackles. King played in 13 regular-season games and both postseason games, mainly on special teams. He finished with 15 tackles.

Tokens
Police plan to add charge against Hayes
April 11, 2016

NEW ORLEANS (AP) The Latest on fatal shooting of former New Orleans Saints player (all times local):

---

5 p.m.

New Orleans Police say they plan to add a new charge against the man accused of killing former Saints player Will Smith.

Spokesman Tyler Gamble said Monday that the charge will involve the shooting of Smith's wife, Racquel. He says investigators have not yet decided whether to re-arrest Cardell Hayes on a charge of attempted murder or aggravated battery in the shooting that left her with a leg injury.

Gamble says that because of the continuing investigation he could not comment Monday on statements by Hayes' attorney, John Fuller, that Hayes called 911 shortly before a car crash that police say touched off the deadly shooting.

Fuller said a hit-and-run driver had rear-ended Hayes, who was trying to catch up to that vehicle and get a license plate number when he ran into Smith's Mercedes SUV late Saturday.

Earlier in court, Fuller got an order to preserve all ballistic evidence from the scene. He would not say whether he believes two guns were fired. He says many people at the scene felt threatened - not by Hayes - but he would not say why they felt threatened.

---

7:25 a.m.

The 28-year-old man accused of killing a former New Orleans Saints player will appear before a state judge in Orleans Parish Criminal Court.

Cardell Hayes is being held one $1 million bond in the death of Will Smith. Hayes will appear in magistrate's court Monday at 3 p.m. to let the court know of his permanent attorney.

Attorney John Fuller represented Hayes at a bond hearing Sunday evening. But he says he won't be able to work as an attorney starting May 2, because he is beginning a temporary appointment as a judge.

Fuller tried to get a lower bond Sunday, but said afterward that he'd told Hayes to expect bond on that charge to run between $1 million and $1.5 million.

Police say Smith and his wife were shot late Saturday night after a traffic accident in the city's Lower Garden District.

-----

3:40 a.m.

Former New Orleans Saints player Will Smith was shot in the back and side, according to a warrant read in court Sunday night before a magistrate set a $1 million bond for the man accused of killing him.

Police said Smith, 34, was killed in a case of road rage by a man who had rear-ended his car. They arrested Cardell Hayes, 28, on a charge of second-degree murder. Prosecutors have 60 days to decide whether to bring that charge against Hayes.

Hayes' Humvee H2 rear-ended Smith's Mercedes G63 around 11:30 p.m. Saturday in the upscale Lower Garden District, pushing it into a Chevrolet Impala driven by two of Smith's acquaintances. The two argued, and Hayes shot both Smith and Smith's wife, Racquel, police said. She was taken to a hospital with a leg wound.

Defense attorney John Fuller asked for low bond Sunday night, noting that Hayes had waited for police, owns a towing business and is raising his 5-year-old son.

Tokens
Eli working to bring new Giants together
April 11, 2016

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) Eli Manning spent some of the Giants' opening day of their offseason program greeting the free agents he had only spoken to over the phone in the previous weeks.

The quarterback said Monday that helping to acclimate new teammates to their new surroundings was important in creating a winning team chemistry. That's especially pertinent for general manager Jerry Reese's March 9 veteran haul of potential defensive game changers Olivier Vernon, defensive tackle Damon Harrison, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, and linebacker Keenan Robinson,

It mattered little to him whether they were defensive additions or offensive ones.

''I called a lot of guys weeks ago, just to introduce myself and see if they needed anything,'' Manning said. ''I tried to reach out to those guys today, just try to figure out how to help them, help the team get better.

''Just to get to know them on a personal level because I think, as a group, the closer the friendship and that bond is, the better off we'll be.''

The newcomers also included a trio of veterans the team signed Monday for depth and competition purposes: Tampa Bay running back Bobby Rainey, Miami linebacker Kelvin Sheppard, and Tennessee offensive tackle Byron Stingily.

Manning said getting the offseason program off to a good start is just the first step in improving from a 6-10 season. He appraised the overall attitude of his teammates as enthusiastic and expectant, especially in light of a new coaching staff that includes new strength coach Aaron Wellman, and his new quarterbacks coach, Frank Cignetti, Jr.

The players will work mostly with Wellman over the first two weeks because coaches are not allowed to drill them during the program's first phase.

The Giants have the most direct familiarity with Rainey, who played under offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan in 2013 when Sullivan served in the same capacity with Tampa Bay. Rainey broke a franchise-record 80-yard touchdown run that year.

Entering his fifth season, the 5-foot-8, 212-pound Rainey has played in 46 games with 11 starts with Baltimore, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay. He has three 100-yard rushing games in a career that includes 249 carries for 990 yards and six touchdowns, 51 catches for 377 yards and two touchdowns.

Rainey's biggest value comes on special teams, where he owns a 9.5-yard average on 36 punt returns and a 24.7-yard average on 32 kickoff returns.

Sheppard, 6-2, 249, has the most starting experience with 45 for Buffalo, Indianapolis, and Miami. He didn't miss a game his first two seasons after the Bills made him their third-round pick out of LSU in 2011. But it wasn't until last season with Miami that he managed career highs with 102 tackles and 13 tackles for losses in 13 starts.

He also started two playoff games for the Colts in 2013, getting 11 tackles and a fumble recovery.

Stingily was Tennessee's sixth-round pick in 2011 and started nine of his 20 games between 2012 and 2014. The 6-5, 318-pound tackle was waived at the end of last year's training camp. The Steelers signed him Oct. 19, but he never played a game for them.

Starting guard Justin Pugh termed Monday a first start, from Tom Coughlin successor Ben McAdoo's opening address to the players to their introduction to the new strength and weight program.

''It's definitely new,'' Pugh said. ''The weight room is all brand new. We've got new things up on the wall.

''We've got a ways to go, but it was a very, very productive, good first day.''

Manning was just happy to get back to work.

''It's the start of a new season, another opportunity,'' Manning said. ''You're excited. It's been a long break. The guys sense we have a good squad, but we've got to get better. We've got to do the little things better and be committed.

''We've got to make sure we keep that. It's easy to do on the first day. But the fourth week of training camp you've got to have the same intensity and desire to get better. That's what we've got to keep doing.''

Tokens
NFL denies Josh Gordon's reinstatement
April 12, 2016

The NFL has denied suspended Cleveland Browns receiver Josh Gordon's application for reinstatement.

A league spokesman confirmed Tuesday that the application was denied and that Gordon can apply again at a future date.

The decision puts Gordon's participation for the 2016 season in doubt. He was suspended for all of 2015 for testing positive for alcohol.

On Monday, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that Gordon ''raised a red flag'' because of a recent league-administered drug test. The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because results of NFL drug tests are not made public, says Gordon didn't have a positive substance abuse test.

But a sample collected in March showed Gordon had traces of marijuana and a diluting substance in his system. The level of marijuana was less than the minimum required by the NFL for a positive test.

Cleveland's new front office has said little about Gordon, who applied for reinstatement in January. Last week, coach Hue Jackson said it was premature to talk about the former Pro Bowler because his situation had not been resolved.

According to league policy, for Gordon to be reinstated he must demonstrate sustained abstinence during his suspension. His past includes several failed marijuana tests in college, too, at Baylor.

After Gordon pleaded guilty to driving while impaired on July 5, 2014, in Raleigh, North Carolina, he was required to submit to alcohol testing under the third stage of the league's mandated program.

Gordon said he drank on a flight to Las Vegas a few days after the 2014 season ended and failed a subsequent test. Gordon had assumed any restrictions ended after the season, but he didn't clarify that with the league.

He was initially suspended for the 2014 season after testing positive for marijuana. His penalty was later reduced to 10 games after the league and NFL Players Association changed their substance abuse policies.

Gordon also had to sit out the two games in 2013 for a failed drug test, which he blamed on taking prescription cough medicine. He led the league with 1,646 yards receiving in 2013 despite that suspension.

Tokens
Pierre-Paul on fireworks injury: Like watching a movie
April 12, 2016

NEW YORK (AP) Jason Pierre-Paul says seeing his right hand without skin after a fireworks accident last July 4 was like watching a movie.

In an interview with Sports Illustrated , the New York Giants defensive end said he could see every ligament in his hand after the explosion that cost him one finger and sidelined him for half of the 2015 season.

''You only see this stuff in the movies,'' Pierre-Paul told the magazine. ''You see all your ligaments, your tendons, everything. I saw how the hand really is without skin on it.''

Pierre-Paul added he recalled telling doctors, ''Whatever y'all do, do not cut my hand off.''

He said he couldn't recall much of what happened while hospitalized, adding he needed to reconstruct that time through conversations with family, friends and advisers.

The 27-year-old player said he now has a new approach to life.

''I look at things differently,'' he said. ''I try not to put myself in horrible situations anymore. I have a lot of people depending on me - even people I didn't know depended on me .

''I could dwell on it, like ... I wish I had that finger, but when I look in the mirror, I'm happy. Thank the Lord - it could have been worse.''

The Giants gave Pierre-Paul the franchise tag in March, then re-signed him for one year. He recently had more surgery on the mangled hand, which he termed a success. He said he hopes to play next season without a ''club'' on it.

Tokens
Titans agree to trade No. 1 pick to Rams
April 14, 2016

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) The Tennessee Titans agreed Thursday to trade the No. 1 overall pick in this month's NFL draft to the Los Angeles Rams.

This is just the seventh trade involving the top overall pick since 1990 and first since 2004. That was when San Diego drafted Eli Manning and traded his rights to the New York Giants.

With the trade, the Rams now have the ability to draft the quarterback of their choice and make a splash as they settle into Los Angeles after leaving St. Louis this year.

Under the deal, Tennessee swaps the No. 1 pick to the Rams along with its picks in the fourth and sixth round to Los Angeles. The Rams will give the Titans their first-round pick at No. 15 along with two second-round selections and their third round pick in the draft starting April 28. The Titans also will receive the Rams' first- and third-round round picks in the 2017 draft.

Tennessee now has six of this draft's first 76 picks. General manager Jon Robinson, hired in January, is looking to rebuild a franchise that has gone 5-27 the past two seasons.

''It is not often that you have the No. 1 overall pick and we hope to not be in this position again, but we tried to use that pick as currency to work the draft and maximize player acquisition,'' Robinson said in a statement.

Robinson said the addition of draft picks for this year and next gives the Titans flexibility. So Tennessee might not be staying at No. 15.

''I would say it doesn't knock us out of any player except one,'' Robinson said. ''We now have the ammunition to work the draft and acquire players that are good for this football team. In terms of timing, it made sense for us to do this now as it gives us time to adjust and make sure we target more players.''

Tokens
Agent Rosenhaus to Manziel: Get help
April 13, 2016

Johnny Manziel's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has told the troubled quarterback to seek help or he will no longer represent him.

Rosenhaus has asked Manziel to seek treatment within five days.

''I hope he gets the help he needs, and if he does, then I will continue to represent him,'' Rosenhaus said Wednesday night.

Rosenhaus, whose clientele is among the largest in the NFL, has represented Manziel ''for a few weeks now.'' He says he's never terminated a contract with a player; Rosenhaus has been an agent for 27 years.

In February, Manziel's first agent, Erik Burkhardt, said he severed his ties with the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner so Manziel could get help.

''Though I will remain a friend and Johnny supporter, and he knows I have worked tirelessly to arrange a number of professional options for him to continue to pursue, it has become painfully obvious that his future rests solely in his own hands,'' Burkhardt said then in a statement.

''His family and I have gone to great lengths to outline the steps we feel he must take to get his life in order. Accountability is the foundation of any relationship, and without it the function of my work is counterproductive. I truly wish the best for Johnny and sincerely hope he can, and will, find the kind of peace and happiness he deserves.''

Manziel was released by Cleveland last month amid a storm of off-field issues. The Browns took Manziel in the first round of the 2014 draft, but his stay with them was filled with problems.

The Browns drafted Manziel hoping he could solve their long-term issue at quarterback and turn around a team that has only been to the playoffs once since 1999 and never to the Super Bowl.

Manziel entered the league amid fanfare and with a party-boy reputation, which only grew thanks to nearly constant exposure on social media. While he was with the Browns hardly a week passed without there being a photo or video of Manziel, usually with a drink in his hand and once floating on an inflatable swan.

But he wound up spending more than 10 weeks following his rookie season in a Pennsylvania rehab facility specializing in alcohol and drug abuse.

The Browns supported him as long as they could, but his decision to skip the team's season finale against Pittsburgh - he had a concussion - for a trip to Las Vegas didn't make Manziel any friends. A second domestic incident in three months was followed by his release.

Manziel went 2-6 as a starter with 1,675 yards passing, seven touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Tokens
Primetime Cheat Sheet
June 22, 2016

The NFL schedule showcases 33 games a season in which teams play on either Monday or Thursday nights, messing with normal routines when these squads are accustomed to playing on Sundays. There are advantages to go against these clubs playing on fewer rest with the case of Mondays, while extra rest for teams taking the field on Thursdays are actually good bets the following week. Let’s take a look at several angles to attack in preparation for the 2016 campaign.

Looking back at the last two seasons of data for Monday and Thursday contests, there were a few things that stuck out. Home favorites on Monday night were horrible, posting a 5-17-1 ATS record since 2014, including a 2-11-1 ATS mark this past season. These chalky home teams actually compiled a 7-7 SU mark, but all three double-digit favorites failed to cover (Week 4 – Seattle vs. Detroit, Week 7 – Arizona vs. Baltimore, Week 10 – Cincinnati vs. Houston). Only three teams were listed as home underdogs on Monday night in 2015, with the Falcons and 49ers winning outright in Week 1, while the Dolphins fell to the Giants in Week 14.

There wasn’t much of an advantage backing teams off a Monday night home game in 2015, as these squads went 8-8 SU and 8-7-1 ATS last season. However, a profitable angle the last two seasons involving Monday night home teams was going against them the following week if they lost on Monday. Teams in this situation have posted a 6-12 SU and 8-10 ATS record since 2014, although this trend went 3-4 SU and 4-3 ATS last season.

Flipping to road teams who were off a Monday night game in 2015, these squads put together a barely profitable 9-8 SU/ATS mark. However, if you backed home underdogs that just played a Monday night road contest, these teams covered in four of five opportunities, including outright victories by Pittsburgh (Week 6 vs. Arizona), Indianapolis (Week 9 vs. Denver), and Houston (Week 11 vs. N.Y. Jets). This season, there are three early opportunities for this situation with Los Angeles (Week 2 vs. Seattle), Philadelphia (Week 3 vs. Pittsburgh), and Atlanta (Week 4 vs. Carolina) all falling into this category.

In 2014, road teams that won on Monday night put together an amazing 0-10 ATS record the following game, while only one of those teams (Philadelphia) actually won straight-up. That number improved last season as these away squads followed up a Monday victory with a 4-4 SU and 6-2 ATS mark, although only one of those teams pulled off back-to-back road wins (Chicago at San Diego on Monday, followed by an upset of St. Louis).

From a totals perspective, the ‘under’ hit in 12 of 17 Monday night games in 2015, including a 4-1 mark to the ‘under’ in games with totals of 49 or higher. The most common side-total combination that cashed last season on Mondays was the Underdog-Under duo, which came through 10 times.

Shifting gears to Thursday, home teams that played on this day of the week compiled a 10-8 SU and 7-10-1 ATS record. That includes New England holding off Pittsburgh in the season opener, 28-21 as both teams were obviously rested, while Detroit and Dallas split their games in Thanksgiving Day action.

One stat that sticks out is how these home squads fared the next week in the role of a road underdog, posting an impressive 7-3 SU and 8-2 ATS record. Among those teams that won as a highway ‘dog include the Giants (Week 4 at Buffalo), Saints (Week 7 at Indianapolis), and Rams (Week 16 at Seattle), all clubs that were receiving at least 5 ½ points.

Listed below are the seven potential situations in 2016 for road underdogs coming off a Thursday night home game.

2016 QUALIFIERS

Week Matchup

5 Cincinnati at Dallas

6 San Francisco at Buffalo

7 San Diego at Atlanta

8 Green Bay at Atlanta

11 Tampa Bay at Kansas City

13 Carolina at Seattle

14 Minnesota at Jacksonville

This season, eight teams will play on Monday night twice (Eagles, Jets, Redskins, Bears, Panthers, Giants, Vikings, and Texans), while no team will be showcased on Monday more than two times. Four squads will appear twice in Thursday action (Giants, Rams, Vikings, and Cowboys), but only New York and Los Angeles will participate in a pair of Thursday night games as Minnesota and Dallas each play one Thursday night contest and take the field on Thanksgiving afternoon.

Listed below is each team’s record in primetime action since 2006 and their record in parentheses from last season. The Cardinals and Broncos each were undefeated under the lights in 2015 as Arizona will appear on primetime in four games this season, including three at University of Phoenix Stadium.

NFC PRIMETIME RECORDS (2006-2015)

Team Games Record (2015) SNF (2015) MNF (2015) TNF (2015)

Arizona 21 11-10 (5-0) 5-2 (3-0) 3-5 (1-0) 3-3 (1-0)

Atlanta 25 10-15 (1-1) 3-2 3-9 4-4

Carolina 20 8-12 (2-0) 2-4 (1-0) 5-3 (1-0) 1-5

Chicago 43 24-19 (1-0) 8-11 13-4 (1-0) 3-4

Dallas 52 29-23 (2-2) 18-16 (1-2) 5-5 (1-0) 6-2

Detroit 12 3-9 (1-3) 0-4 (0-1) 3-4 (1-1) 0-1 (0-1)

Green Bay 40 22-18 (3-3) 12-8 (1-2) 6-8 (1-0) 4-2 (1-1)

Minnesota 28 9-19 (2-2) 4-7 (2-0) 4-8 (0-1) 1-4 (0-1)

New Orleans 38 26-12 (2-1) 11-4 (1-0) 12-5 (0-1) 3-3 (1-0)

New York 49 22-27 (3-3) 11-17 (1-2) 7-7 (1-1) 4-3 (1-0)

Philadelphia 47 24-23 (2-3) 13-13 (1-2) 9-6 (1-1) 2-4

St. Louis 11 2-9 (1-0) 0-1 0-5 2-3 (1-0)

San Francisco 32 18-14 (1-2) 3-7 (0-1) 10-3 (1-0) 5-4 (0-1)

Seattle 24 19-7 (2-2) 7-5 (0-2) 9-0 (1-0) 3-2 (1-0)

Tampa Bay 10 4-6 (0-1) 1-0 2-2 1-4 (0-1)

Washington 31 9-22 (0-2) 4-8 3-10 (0-1) 2-4 (0-1)

AFC PRIMETIME RECORDS (2006-2015)

Team Games Record (2015) SNF (2015) MNF (2015) TNF (2015)

Baltimore 34 19-15 (2-1) 7-5 7-8 (1-1) 5-2 (1-0)

Buffalo 10 2-8 (1-1) 0-1 0-4 (0-1) 2-3 (1-0)

Cincinnati 24 6-18 (1-3) 0-6 (0-1) 3-4 (0-2) 2-5 (1-0)

Cleveland 14 5-9 (0-2) 0-1 2-3 (0-1) 3-5 (0-1)

Denver 42 26-16 (5-0) 13-5 (3-0) 7-8 (1-0) 6-3 (1-0)

Houston 20 6-14 (1-2) 1-4 (0-1) 4-5 (1-0) 1-5 (0-1)

Indianapolis 44 28-16 (1-4) 14-10 (0-2) 5-6 (0-2) 9-0 (1-0)

Jacksonville 15 6-9 (1-0) 0-1 3-4 3-4 (1-0)

Kansas City 15 6-9 (0-1) 0-4 3-2 3-3 (0-1)

Miami 19 5-14 (0-2) 0-2 2-9 (0-1) 3-3 (0-1)

New England 42 30-12 (5-1) 15-8 (3-1) 11-3 (1-0) 4-1 (1-0)

New York 26 11-15 (1-1) 3-3 5-8 (1-0) 3-4 (0-1)

Oakland 14 5-10 (1-0) 0-1 1-6 4-3 (1-0)

Pittsburgh 47 29-18 (1-2) 15-11 (1-1) 9-3 5-4 (0-1)

San Diego 39 22-17 (0-3) 8-7 (0-2) 8-6 6-4 (0-1)

Tennessee 16 7-9 (0-1) 1-2 5-2 1-5 (0-1)

Tokens
Title drought over, Cleveland craves more
June 29, 2016

CLEVELAND (AP) The confetti has been cleaned up. The party hasn't stopped. Always rocking, Cleveland's rolling like never before.

Since superstar LeBron James and the Cavaliers clinched the NBA championship with a historic comeback to quench the city's 52-year major title drought, Cleveland has been celebrating - and winning - at a startling rate.

Picking up where the Cavs left off, the Indians have reeled off 12 straight victories and are threatening to run away with the AL Central. They've also motivated some skeptical fans to buy tickets so they don't miss out on the summer fun.

Suddenly, a city accustomed to losing can't lose.

Between the Cavs, the Indians and the Arena League Gladiators, Cleveland teams are a combined 17-0 since June 15. Toss in the AHL's Lake Erie Monsters winning the Calder Cup and Cleveland's Stipe Miocic recently becoming the UFC heavyweight champion and it's easy to see why everyone's in a good mood.

Take a walk around downtown, where things continue to be spruced up for the upcoming Republican National Convention, and everything looks and feels different.

Clevelanders are holding their heads high and puffing out their chests in a way they never could. There's been a noticeable attitude adjustment for fans no longer wondering if they'll ever witness one of their teams win it all.

It's happened, and now they believe it can happen again.

''It's kind of like the weight of the world has been taken off everybody's shoulders,'' Andrew Rivera of Cleveland said as he hustled back to his office following a lunch break. ''They are a lot more relaxed, relieved.''

This hangover isn't hurting anyone's head.

Last week's parade for the Cavaliers drew nearly one million spectators, who joyfully swallowed James and his teammates during a procession through the streets of a city whose downtrodden image is undergoing a massive makeover.

But beyond superficial changes to roads, buildings and parks, a much deeper transformation is happening.

In northeast Ohio, where cynics and fatalists have shared church pews, bar rails and work rooms for generations, there's a feeling that anything is possible.

The Akron-born James and the Cavaliers not only overcame a 3-1 deficit to defeat the Golden State Warriors in seven games, they've sparked a change in the collective mindset of fans who felt their teams were cursed or incapable of winning.

Now, one championship won't suffice.

''We're starving for more,'' John Sopczyk of Streetsboro, Ohio, said after he and his wife bought Indians tickets.

''We've been starving for 52 years, and now the Indians are on their way,'' he said. ''I foresee them going all the way.''

OK, let's not get too crazy. But after seeing cities such as Boston, San Francisco, Pittsburgh and others quickly stack up trophies, Cleveland wants more.

''If everyone else can do it,'' Marge Sopczyk said. ''Why can't we?''

The Indians are on deck for a title push.

They extended their longest winning streak since 1922 - and one shy of matching the team record - on Wednesday night with a 3-0 shutout over Atlanta. Although they haven't won the World Series since 1948, these Indians, boasting one of baseball's best starting staffs and a roster blossoming with young stars such as shortstop Francisco Lindor, just might have enough to make Octobers interesting again on the shores of Lake Erie.

The Indians have the lowest average attendance in the major leagues so far this season, but are now seeing a surge in ticket sales since Cleveland's fairytale ending to the title drought. They drew nearly 90,000 fans - many of them chanting ''Let's Go Cavs!'' - during the last weekend of the NBA Finals, and team officials expect crowds in excess of 30,000 at Progressive Field for several games next week leading into the All-Star break.

''As a lifelong Clevelander, I think the woe-is-me attitude has finally been lifted,'' said Bob DiBiasio, the Indians' vice president of public affairs. ''That mentality is gone and people are ready to invest themselves into things they didn't want to fully commit to before. We're getting some of that Cavs energy.''

Indians manager Terry Francona has seen this domino effect before. In 2004, he guided the Boston Red Sox to their first World Series title in 86 years, and three years later, they did it again.

''I'm thrilled for the city,'' Francona said this week while the club was in Atlanta. ''I'm not from there, but I've been there long enough to care and I know what it meant to some of the businesses. I guess the hope is that people want to come now to watch us.''

Count the Sopczyks in.

Before heading to the Cavs' team shop inside Quicken Loans Arena, where there continues to be long lines of customers stocking up on championship gear, they scored tickets to the Indians-Tigers game on July 4. They had one more stop.

''We're going to the casino,'' John said.

Roll on, Cleveland.

Tokens
Colts give QB Luck $140M extension
June 29, 2016

Andrew Luck has signed the richest contract in NFL history, a deal worth up to $140 million with the Indianapolis Colts that covers the next six seasons through 2021.

Colts owner Jim Irsay revealed the contract's maximum value on Wednesday for Luck, the No. 1 pick in the 2012 draft who missed nine games last year because of injuries to his shoulder, ribs and kidney. Irsay said Luck would be guaranteed $47 million if the Colts were to cut him before the season.

''Obviously a ridiculous hypothetical,'' Irsay said.

According to NFL.com, the life of Luck's contract includes $87 million guaranteed for injury. There are many different ways to determine a deal's value, but Luck's has topped recent quarterback contracts for Baltimore's Joe Flacco and Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers. It also gives the 26-year-old Luck another chance to cash in with a big-money deal around age 32.

Before last season, the Colts exercised the fifth-year option on Luck's contract to guarantee him more than $16.1 million for the 2016 season.

''I am thrilled and excited to continue with this great organization,'' Luck said in a statement released by the Colts. ''I am thankful to the Irsay family and Mr. Irsay for providing me with this great opportunity and the trust that they've shown in me. I can't wait for this season to start.''

Irsay said the terms of the deal are friendly enough to the Colts so they could put a franchise tag on Luck for 2022 if they need to and not be strapped under the salary cap. The annual figures are such that the Colts should be able to continue to craft a quality roster around him.

''We definitely feel that we're never in a position where we're getting out of whack in any of the years,'' Irsay said.

Luck has been one of the most productive quarterbacks the NFL has ever had over a player's first four pro seasons. He tied Detroit's Matthew Stafford as the fourth-fastest to 100 career touchdown passes, in his 55th game.

Last year was a struggle, though. After leading the Colts to 11-5 records in each of his first three seasons, plus a 3-3 mark in the playoffs, Luck endured the worst season of his pro career and missed the final six games with a lacerated kidney and a partially torn abdominal muscle. He missed nine games in all, finished with the lowest completion percentage since his rookie season (55.3), and threw 15 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in going 2-5.

The Colts weren't concerned, though.

''We never even suggested it as leverage,'' Irsay said.

Luck helped hand Super Bowl champion Denver its first loss in what became his last game Nov. 8. The 4,761 yards and 40 touchdowns he passed for in 2014 weren't that far off. Neither were all those rookie records he set in 2012.

''There's no question in our mind that he's going to return and do the things that he's done,'' Irsay said. ''That fire's in his eye in a special way.''

Tokens
2016 NFL Team Props
June 29, 2016

Check out more NFL Odds and Props at Sportsbook.ag!

Player Props

Super Bowl LI - Winning Division
AFC East 5/1
AFC North 5/1
AFC South 13/1
AFC West 7/1
NFC East 10/1
NFC North 11/2
NFC South 13/2
NFC West 4/1

Will they make the Playoffs?
Arizona Cardinals
Yes -165
No +135

Atlanta Falcons
Yes +207
No -260

Baltimore Ravens
Yes +130
No -160

Buffalo Bills
Yes +200
No -250

Carolina Panthers
Yes -500
No +375

Chicago Bears
Yes +300
No -400

Cincinnati Bengals
Yes -150
No +120

Cleveland Browns
Yes +800
No -1300

Dallas Cowboys
Yes -130

No Even

Denver Broncos
Yes -150
No +130

Detroit Lions
Yes +300
No -400

Green Bay Packers
Yes -475
No +350

Houston Texans
Yes -110
No -120

Indianapolis Colts
Yes -160
No +130

Jacksonville Jaguars
Yes +190
No -235

Kansas City Chiefs
Yes -160
No +130

Los Angeles Rams
Yes +325
No -450

Miami Dolphins
Yes +235
No -300

Minnesota Vikings
Yes -185
No +150

New England Patriots
Yes -400
No +300

New Orleans Saints
Yes +260
No -340

New York Giants
Yes +110
No -140

New York Jets
Yes +200
No -250

Oakland Raiders
Yes +130
No -160

Philadelphia Eagles
Yes +200
No -250

Pittsburgh Steelers
Yes -285
No +220

San Diego Chargers
Yes +400
No -550

San Francisco 49ers
Yes +1000
No -2500

Seattle Seahawks
Yes -400
No +300

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Yes +300
No -400

Tennessee Titans
Yes +425
No -600

Washington Redskins
Yes +165
No -200

2016 Super Bowl Possible Matchups (2/5/17)
Packers vs. Patriots 25/1
Panthers vs. Patriots 25/1
Seahawks vs. Patriots 25/1
Cardinals vs. Patriots 30/1
Cowboys vs. Patriots 40/1
Packers vs. Steelers 40/1
Seahawks vs. Steelers 40/1
Vikings vs. Patriots 40/1
Panthers vs. Steelers 45/1
Seahawks vs. Broncos 45/1
Cardinals vs. Steelers 50/1
Packers vs. Broncos 50/1
Seahawks vs. Bengals 50/1
Cardinals vs. Broncos 55/1
Packers vs. Bengals 55/1
Panthers vs. Broncos 55/1
Panthers vs. Bengals 60/1
Cardinals vs. Bengals 65/1
Seahawks vs. Chiefs 65/1
Vikings vs. Steelers 65/1
Cowboys vs. Steelers 70/1
Giants vs. Patriots 70/1
Packers vs. Chiefs 70/1
Panthers vs. Chiefs 75/1
Seahawks vs. Colts 75/1
Vikings vs. Broncos 75/1
Cardinals vs. Chiefs 80/1
Cowboys vs. Broncos 80/1
Packers vs. Colts 80/1
Vikings vs. Bengals 80/1
Cardinals vs. Colts 90/1
Cowboys vs. Bengals 90/1
Panthers vs. Colts 90/1
Bears vs. Patriots 100/1
Lions vs. Bills 100/1
Redskins vs. Patriots 100/1
Vikings vs. Chiefs 100/1
Cowboys vs. Chiefs 110/1
Giants vs. Steelers 110/1
Seahawks vs. Raiders 110/1
Seahawks vs. Ravens 110/1
Falcons vs. Patriots 120/1
Packers vs. Raiders 120/1
Packers vs. Ravens 120/1
Seahawks vs. Texans 120/1
Vikings vs. Colts 120/1
Cowboys vs. Colts 130/1
Eagles vs. Patriots 130/1
Giants vs. Broncos 130/1
Lions vs. Patriots 130/1
Packers vs. Texans 130/1
Panthers vs. Raiders 130/1
Panthers vs. Ravens 130/1
Rams vs. Patriots 130/1
Saints vs. Patriots 130/1
Cardinals vs. Raiders 140/1
Cardinals vs. Ravens 140/1
Packers vs. Jaguars 140/1
Seahawks vs. Jaguars 140/1
Cardinals vs. Texans 150/1
Giants vs. Bengals 150/1
Panthers vs. Texans 150/1
Panthers vs. Jaguars 160/1
Redskins vs. Steelers 160/1
Buccaneers vs. Patriots 170/1
Cardinals vs. Jaguars 170/1
Seahawks vs. Jets 170/1
Bears vs. Steelers 180/1
Giants vs. Chiefs 180/1
Packers vs. Jets 180/1
Vikings vs. Raiders 180/1
Vikings vs. Ravens 180/1
Cowboys vs. Raiders 190/1
Cowboys vs. Ravens 190/1
Redskins vs. Broncos 190/1
Seahawks vs. Bills 190/1
Seahawks vs. Dolphis 190/1
49ers vs. Patriots 200/1
Bears vs. Bengals 200/1
Bears vs. Broncos 200/1
Cardinals vs. Bills 200/1
Cardinals vs. Dolphis 200/1
Cardinals vs. Jets 200/1
Cowboys vs. Jaguars 200/1
Cowboys vs. Texans 200/1
Eagles vs. Steelers 200/1
Falcons vs. Broncos 200/1
Falcons vs. Steelers 200/1
Giants vs. Colts 200/1
Lions vs. Steelers 200/1
Packers vs. Bills 200/1
Packers vs. Dolphis 200/1
Panthers vs. Bills 200/1
Panthers vs. Dolphis 200/1
Panthers vs. Jets 200/1
Rams vs. Broncos 200/1
Rams vs. Steelers 200/1
Redskins vs. Bengals 200/1
Saints vs. Broncos 200/1
Saints vs. Steelers 200/1
Vikings vs. Jaguars 200/1
Vikings vs. Texans 200/1
Bears vs. Chiefs 250/1
Buccaneers vs. Steelers 250/1
Eagles vs. Bengals 250/1
Eagles vs. Broncos 250/1
Falcons vs. Bengals 250/1
Lions vs. Bengals 250/1
Lions vs. Broncos 250/1
Packers vs. Chargers 250/1
Panthers vs. Chargers 250/1
Rams vs. Bengals 250/1
Redskins vs. Chiefs 250/1
Saints vs. Bengals 250/1
Seahawks vs. Chargers 250/1
Vikings vs. Jets 250/1
Bears vs. Colts 300/1
Buccaneers vs. Broncos 300/1
Cardinals vs. Chargers 300/1
Cowboys vs. Bills 300/1
Cowboys vs. Dolphis 300/1
Cowboys vs. Jets 300/1
Falcons vs. Chiefs 300/1
Giants vs. Raiders 300/1
Giants vs. Ravens 300/1
Packers vs. Titans 300/1
Rams vs. Chiefs 300/1
Redskins vs. Colts 300/1
Saints vs. Chiefs 300/1
Seahawks vs. Titans 300/1
Vikings vs. Bills 300/1
Vikings vs. Dolphis 300/1
49ers vs. Steelers 350/1
Buccaneers vs. Bengals 350/1
Cardinals vs. Titans 350/1
Eagles vs. Chiefs 350/1
Falcons vs. Colts 350/1
Giants vs. Jaguars 350/1
Giants vs. Texans 350/1
Lions vs. Chiefs 350/1
Panthers vs. Titans 350/1
49ers vs. Broncos 400/1
Bears vs. Raiders 400/1
Cowboys vs. Chargers 400/1
Eagles vs. Colts 400/1
Lions vs. Colts 400/1
Rams vs. Colts 400/1
Saints vs. Colts 400/1
Vikings vs. Chargers 400/1
49ers vs. Bengals 450/1
Bears vs. Ravens 450/1
Buccaneers vs. Chiefs 450/1
Giants vs. Jets 450/1
Redskins vs. Raiders 450/1
Redskins vs. Ravens 450/1
49ers vs. Chiefs 500/1
Bears vs. Jaguars 500/1
Bears vs. Texans 500/1
Buccaneers vs. Colts 500/1
Cowboys vs. Titans 500/1
Falcons vs. Raiders 500/1
Falcons vs. Ravens 500/1
Giants vs. Bills 500/1
Giants vs. Dolphis 500/1
Rams vs. Raiders 500/1
Rams vs. Ravens 500/1
Redskins vs. Jaguars 500/1
Redskins vs. Texans 500/1
Saints vs. Raiders 500/1
Saints vs. Ravens 500/1
Vikings vs. Titans 500/1
49ers vs. Colts 600/1
Eagles vs. Raiders 600/1
Eagles vs. Ravens 600/1
Eagles vs. Texans 600/1
Falcons vs. Jaguars 600/1
Falcons vs. Texans 600/1
Giants vs. Chargers 600/1
Lions vs. Raiders 600/1
Lions vs. Ravens 600/1
Lions vs. Texans 600/1
Packers vs. Browns 600/1
Rams vs. Texans 600/1
Redskins vs. Jets 600/1
Saints vs. Texans 600/1
Seahawks vs. Browns 600/1
Bears vs. Jets 700/1
Buccaneers vs. Raiders 700/1
Buccaneers vs. Ravens 700/1
Cardinals vs. Browns 700/1
Eagles vs. Jaguars 700/1
Lions vs. Jaguars 700/1
Panthers vs. Browns 700/1
Rams vs. Jaguars 700/1
Redskins vs. Bills 700/1
Redskins vs. Dolphis 700/1
Saints vs. Jaguars 700/1
Bears vs. Bills 800/1
Bears vs. Dolphis 800/1
Buccaneers vs. Texans 800/1
Falcons vs. Bills 800/1
Falcons vs. Dolphis 800/1
Falcons vs. Jets 800/1
Giants vs. Titans 800/1
Rams vs. Jets 800/1
Saints vs. Jets 800/1
49ers vs. Raiders 900/1
49ers vs. Ravens 900/1
Buccaneers vs. Jaguars 900/1
Eagles vs. Jets 900/1
Lions vs. Jets 900/1
Rams vs. Bills 900/1
Rams vs. Dolphis 900/1
Redskins vs. Chargers 900/1
Saints vs. Bills 900/1
Saints vs. Dolphis 900/1
49ers vs. Texans 1000/1
Bears vs. Chargers 1000/1
Cowboys vs. Browns 1000/1
Eagles vs. Bills 1000/1
Eagles vs. Dolphis 1000/1
Lions vs. Dolphis 1000/1
Vikings vs. Browns 1000/1
49ers vs. Jaguars 1100/1
Buccaneers vs. Jets 1100/1
Falcons vs. Chargers 1100/1
Buccaneers vs. Bills 1200/1
Buccaneers vs. Dolphis 1200/1
Rams vs. Chargers 1200/1
Redskins vs. Titans 1200/1
Saints vs. Chargers 1200/1
Bears vs. Titans 1300/1
Eagles vs. Chargers 1300/1
Lions vs. Chargers 1300/1
49ers vs. Jets 1400/1
Falcons vs. Titans 1400/1
49ers vs. Bills 1500/1
49ers vs. Dolphis 1500/1
Rams vs. Titans 1500/1
Saints vs. Titans 1500/1
Buccaneers vs. Chargers 1600/1
Eagles vs. Titans 1600/1
Lions vs. Titans 1600/1
Giants vs. Browns 1700/1
49ers vs. Chargers 2000/1
Buccaneers vs. Titans 2000/1
Redskins vs. Browns 2000/1
49ers vs. Titans 2500/1
Bears vs. Browns 2500/1
Falcons vs. Browns 2500/1
Eagles vs. Browns 3000/1
Lions vs. Browns 3000/1
Rams vs. Browns 3000/1
Saints vs. Browns 3000/1
Buccaneers vs. Browns 4000/1
49ers vs. Browns 5000/1

Odds per Sportsbook.ag - Subject to Change - Updated 6.29.16

Tokens
AFC Betting Outlook
August 13, 2016

AFC East

Buffalo Bills –
The Bills had a rather quiet off-season after making a lot of noise heading into the 2015 season. It didn’t help a lot as Buffalo went from 9-7 in 2014 to 8-8 in 2015. Buffalo looks poised for a similar mediocre performance this season. One thing to keep in mind about the Bills is that they have been much better at home than on the road in terms of their ATS (Against-the-Spread) records the past three seasons. Buffalo has gone 16-8 ATS at home and only 9-13-2 on the road.

Miami Dolphins – The Dolphins should improve after a disappointing 6-10 record last season. Miami certainly could be a bit undervalued early on as many bettors likely felt the burn of the Dolphins last season as they compiled a 5-11 ATS record. The loss of RB Lamar Miller is significant even though Miami did have a decent draft. The Dolphins did have some significant roster turnover on defense but head coach Adam Gase is a former offensive coordinator so the Dolphins may surprise some teams early this season. With a tough early season schedule, there could be some ATS value being offered early with the Fish in 2016.

New England Patriots –
The Patriots have gone 15-6-3 ATS at home the past three seasons combined while only going 8-16 ATS (33%) on the road during this same stretch. That is certainly something to be wary of as you evaluate lines this coming season. Keep in mind this could result in some over-inflated spreads on the Pats at home. Of course the Tom Brady suspension (first four games of the season) will mean we see plenty of Jimmy Garoppolo under center early this season and that will certainly have an impact on the early lines involving the Patriots. Once Brady is back, keep in mind that the Pats have enjoyed a lot of success for many years thanks to beating up on a relatively weak AFC East division. This season, the Patriots will be facing the AFC North and NFC West as part of the non-divisional action and that means some tough match-ups for the Pats. Look for value in fading the Pats, especially if the Brady early season suspension has a carry-over effect when he returns.

New York Jets –
The Jets look to be in similar shape on offense this season based on losing a couple of key players but also adding some key personnel in the off-season. The defense is where there is concern as the Jets did lose a handful of starters there. Replacing that production will take time and that is why the totals may be a good place to pay attention to in terms of Jets games early this season. The offensive production should at least be on par with last season but we could see the defense slip up some and that will be especially true early this season until the jell. The Jets record is likely to see a drop-off this season but the production on offense should remain at a respectable level. Keep an eye on the early season totals in Jets games.

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens –
The Ravens had a solid draft that really helps their depth coming into this season. The offensive line has been bolstered and Baltimore suffered so much in the way of the “injury bug” last season that I expect a complete reversal this season. The Ravens only covered five of their 16 games last season and I expect to see a lot of value with Baltimore early this season as the markets may be slow to adjust to just how solid this team is when they aren’t bogged down with injuries. The Ravens look to be improved on both sides of the ball as they also did well in the draft on the defensive side of the ball plus the acquisition of safety Eric Weddle in free agency bolsters the secondary. Experience, talent, and some added depth through the draft combine to make the Ravens a likely team on the rise this year. Remember that Baltimore was a 10-6 team in 2014. They’ll respond after the 2015 debacle.

Cincinnati Bengals –
The Bengals were a stellar ATS team in 2015 and, of course, these trends have a way of quickly reversing. The ball bounced the way of Cincinnati last year to put it mildly. While this is certainly still going to be a strong Bengals team in 2016 there will have to be some drop-off at the cashiers’ window. The loss of receiving talent – in the form of Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu – is going to affect Cincy this year. This defense looks solid again and the Bengals have gone 19-13 to the 'under' the past two seasons and there could be some value again in the 'under' department this year. A tough early season schedule is going to test the moxie of this team and I will likely look for value in going against them early this season after they covered an insane 11 of their 16 games last season.

Cleveland Browns –
The Browns have some excitement with Robert Griffin III on board but of course it is tough to get too excited when you’re off of a 3-13 season and have struggled for so many years. Cleveland is unlikely to see much of a change in success level this season because their defense lost a ton of starting talent. Still, off of a season where they covered just five of their 16 games, we may see some early line value spots with the Browns. The best value however is likely to be with the totals. The defense lost so much (in terms of starters) that I expect it to be a problem and this will be especially true early on in the new season. Look for the Browns to have solid potential for being an 'over' team early this season as it takes time for the new personnel to jell on defense.

Pittsburgh Steelers –
If Cincinnati does drop off a little it is likely that the Steelers will be there to gladly take their place. My only problem with the Steelers from an ATS perspective is that it could be tough to find spots where there is line value with them. They had one of the top offenses in the league last year and that tremendous production should continue this season (even without wide receiver Martavis Bryant) as they already proved last year that they could move the ball very well even when key guys like Le'Veon Bell are sidelined. On defense, the Steelers secondary should be improved but it is important to evaluate early on how some of the new talent is developing. If they struggle at the NFL level the Steelers could be in for some shootouts as the secondary must come together quickly. Better health in the running back department and a better schedule (face AFC East and NFC East this season) equates to a solid season for the Steelers but it will be a “pick your spots” situation for value as some of the lines could be inflated.

AFC South

Houston Texans –
Good draft on the offensive side of the ball but how quickly will those guys be key contributors is going to be the important factor for Houston early this season. Of course the offense was the focus for Texans in the off-season and they picked up some key pieces via free agency. However, the defense did lose a few pieces and has to have some drop-off after a fantastic season last year. Houston could be a play against early on as they have some tough match-ups in the first six weeks of the season. Also, if the offense takes some time to jell with a new QB then there could be more trouble looming.

Indianapolis Colts
– Strengthened the offensive line in the off-season as they want better protection for QB Andrew Luck who is hopeful of more time on the field this season! The Colts have plenty of motivation after last season was impacted by the Luck injury situation and Indianapolis dropped to 8-8 after back-to-back 11-5 seasons. The Colts defense could be standing in the way of the Colts making a run at the AFC South this season. It will depend on how well the new faces integrate because Indianapolis did lose some key cogs from last season’s defense and the defense was already a liability for the Colts last year. With the Jaguars and Titans on the way up and the Texans likely having another solid season, Indianapolis will have their hands full in this division. That statement holds true even with a healthy Luck. The D must step up and that will likely prove to again be an area of concern for the Colts.

Jacksonville Jaguars
– You can look at the stats for the Jaguars offense from last season (and now add in the fact that they added RB Chris Ivory from the Jets) and there is reason to believe Jacksonville will be strong on that side of the ball again. Some changes on the offensive line could result in a little uncertainty early in the season but eventually the Jags offense should be firing on all cylinders. That means the Jaguars could definitely be on their continued upward trajectory this season as the defense looks much improved coming into this season. Held back by the D last season, this season the defense should make big strides toward improvement thanks to some key free agent pick-ups as well as some solid draft picks in the early rounds that can contribute right away. Jacksonville should be a team on your ATS watch list!

Tennessee Titans – Like Jacksonville, Tennessee is likely to be on the way up this season. The Titans have been a money-burner the past two seasons with an 8-24 ATS (25%) mark! That means value should be available playing on Tennessee early this season before many realize how much improvement there truly is with this Titans team. Tennessee’s defense, in terms of yardage allowed per game, was actually respectable last season. The problem for the Titans was on offense but they are making strides in the right direction. Tennessee made big pick-ups in the running game through both the draft and free agency. Also, QB Marcus Mariota should show improvement in his 2nd year and should face less pressure with some fortification to the offensive line for this season. On the defensive side of the ball, I like the additions the Titans have for the secondary and, though the SU record may not improve drastically this season I do expect the ATS record to improve substantially for the Titans. They should prove to be a dangerous dog this season!

AFC West

Denver Broncos –
After going 12-4 each of the prior two seasons and 13-3 three years ago, the Broncos are in for quite a drop this year as I don’t expect them to reach double digits in victories. The offense was certainly not the strength for Denver last season but it quickly has gone from “middle of the pack” to “significant concern” as Peyton Manning has retired and Brock Osweiler is now in Houston. The Broncos have a “question mark” with Mark Sanchez at QB and rookie Paxton Lynch is certainly going to take time to develop. On defense the Broncos will still be solid but, even there; some drop-off is expected as they lost a couple of key starters in free agency. After going 27-19-2 ATS in regular season action the last three seasons, I expect to see some solid ATS value in going against the Broncos early and often this season.

Kansas City Chiefs –
The Chiefs now “have their shot” after playing 'second-fiddle' to the Broncos in the AFC West each of the last three seasons. However, Kansas City is not without some concerns of their own. KC lost not just one, not even just two, but three starters from the offensive line in the off-season. Continuity on the offensive line is so important that this could certainly be an early-season “issue” for Kansas City. Certainly it will be something to keep an eye on early in the schedule. One thing that could help KC is a relatively favorable early season schedule but even if they get some SU wins and I expect to see some spots with ATS value in going against them. The adds they made on defense in the draft will take some time to contribute and they did lose quite a lot of depth on the defensive side of the ball. The Chiefs were plus-14 in turnovers (29-15) last year so they had some “good fortune” to say the least and that has a way of turning around from year to year! The ball is likely to bounce the “other way” this season.

Oakland Raiders – With Derek Carr at QB the Raiders are “dangerous” on offense and it often gives them that chance at “back door cover” potential. Coming into this season, with some upgrades on defense, the Raiders could jump up a little again after improving from 3-13 two seasons ago to 7-9 last year. Getting to .500 is certainly in Oakland’s sights after improving their secondary and linebacking corps through free agency and strengthening the overall depth on defense through the draft. In particular, I would look for the Raiders to improve their ATS results at home this season after a dismal 2-6 ATS showing on their home turf last year.

San Diego Chargers – The Chargers are a team that I could be looking at more in terms of value with their O/U’s than with their spreads this season. San Diego has been an 'under' team in terms of totals in recent seasons but with the offense staying solid (led by Phillip Rivers) and the defense in for a drop-off (departure of Eric Weddle and other significant starters), this team could be in for some explosive, high-scoring games. This could be particularly true early this season as there will most certainly be an “adjustment phase” on the defensive side of the ball. It is likely to be another tough season in San Diego (4-12 last year) but at least their games should be very entertaining if you like offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com