The Greatest Dies

Search

Banned
Tokens
RIP Muhammad. Make sure you yank off Howard's Toupee again when you see him up there.

Muhammad Ali dies at age 74<header class="article-header" style="box-sizing: inherit; display: flex; flex-direction: column; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: medium;">

</header>
  • <time datetime="2016-06-04T04:24:37.000Z" style="box-sizing: inherit;">a few seconds ago</time>
  • by STAFF WRITERS, WIRES
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
MUHAMMAD Ali has died at age 74.
The three-time boxing world champion passed away in a Phoenix hospital surrounded by his family, a spokespoerson confirmed to NBC News. He was admitted to the hospital on Friday (Australian time) with a respiratory problem, which rapidly worsened and saw him placed on life support.
Sources close to the family said funeral arrangements were being made in Ali’s final hours.
Known worldwide as “The Greatest of All Time”, a larger-than-life character with a wit matched only by his boxing skills, Ali was undoubtedly the most famous sportsman who ever lived.
He had suffered from Parkinson’s disease for more than three decades and kept a low profile in recent years.
At the height of his career, Ali was known for his dancing feet and quick fists and his ability, as he put it, to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.
He retired from boxing in 1981 with a 56-5 record. Ali’s diagnosis of Parkinson’s came about three years after he retired.
<figure class="article-captioned-figure" itemprop="image" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/ImageObject" style="box-sizing: inherit; margin: 0px 0px 20px; position: relative;">
fcb3eac66b0b6f42b3674a88186dee57
<figcaption class="article-captioned-figure__caption" style="box-sizing: inherit; display: flex; padding: 8px 12px; line-height: 1.33333; font-size: 12px; position: absolute; right: 0px; bottom: 0px; left: 0px; background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.498039);">Muhammad Ali: The Greatest of All Time.
Source: News Corp Australia
</figcaption></figure>Ali, born in Louisville, Kentucky, as Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr, changed his name in 1964 after his conversion to Islam.
He was an Olympic boxing light-heavyweight gold medallist at Rome 1960 before launching his professional career the same year. He first won the heavyweight world title against Sonny Liston on February 25, 1964.
He was effectively stripped of the title for refusing to fight with the US armed forces in Vietnam, with the heavy price he paid for standing by his principles (“No Vietcong ever called me ******”) making him a polarising figure at the time but later cementing his legend. Stripped of his boxing license, he did not fight from March 1967 to October 1970 (ages 25 to almost 29).
After returning in 1971, he lost a title shot to Joe Frazier in “The Fight of the Century” at Madison Square Garden, a result he avenged in 1974 - though Frazier had already lost the title to George Foreman.
<figure class="article-captioned-figure" itemprop="image" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/ImageObject" style="box-sizing: inherit; margin: 0px 0px 20px; position: relative;">
8d4beab4faa2553272df51ca7cd812c6
<figcaption class="article-captioned-figure__caption" style="box-sizing: inherit; display: flex; padding: 8px 12px; line-height: 1.33333; font-size: 12px; position: absolute; right: 0px; bottom: 0px; left: 0px; background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.498039);">Muhammad Ali after retaining his world heavyweight title in 1965.
Source: News Limited
</figcaption></figure>Ali’s win gave him a shot at Foreman in one of boxing’s most legendary fights: The Rumble in the Jungle in Zaire, in October 1974. Ali won by eight-round knockout, having exhausted his bigger, stronger and younger rival by tricking him into punching himself out via the “rope-a-dope”.
Ali won a trilogy fight against Joe Frazier, the famous “Thrilla in Manila” in October 1975. He also had a trilogy match against Ken Norton, who once broke his jaw, the following year and took a heavily-contested decision.
Ali lost his title to Leon Spinks early in 1978 but reclaimed it the same year via an uninspiring unanimous decision, making him an unprecedented three-time world heavyweight champ.
326723fa4d8774df46f44d3ae4b69abb
<figcaption class="article-captioned-figure__caption" style="box-sizing: inherit; display: flex; padding: 8px 12px; line-height: 1.33333; font-size: 12px; position: absolute; right: 0px; bottom: 0px; left: 0px; background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.498039);">Muhammad Ali in 2006.
Source: Getty Images
</figcaption></figure>He briefly retired but returned to fight former sparring partner Larry Holmes in an ill-fated title match in 1980, resulting in his only knockout loss. His last fight was against Trevor Berbick on December 11, 1981 in Nassau - a 10-round decision loss.
He was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 1984, a condition that became gradually more debilitating. He made an extraordinary public appearance in 1996 at the Atlanta Olympics, touching the world’s heart as he trembled while lighting the flame.
He received the highest US civilian honour, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, in 2005. In his later years, he was rarely seen in public.
Ali was married four times, for seven daughters and two sons. One daughter, Laila, followed in her father’s footsteps and became a boxing world champion. She was never beaten.
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FLailaAli%2Fposts%2F10154318459677871%3A0&width=500" width="500" height="609" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-width: initial; border-style: none; overflow: hidden;"></iframe>
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FLailaAli%2Fposts%2F10154320618807871%3A0&width=500" width="500" height="467" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-width: initial; border-style: none; overflow: hidden;"></iframe>
Ali’s famous sayings will live forever. In the hours leading up to his death, this video went viral:
<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" id="undefined" allowfullscreen="true" style="box-sizing: inherit; position: absolute; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 596.5px; height: 335.859px; padding: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; top: 0px; bottom: 0px;"></iframe>

Meanwhile, his brilliant quotes - both biting and inspirational - were being relived.
<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" data-tweet-id="738934179346292740" style="box-sizing: inherit; position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"><article class="MediaCard MediaCard--mediaForward customisable-border" data-scribe="component:card" dir="ltr">View image on Twitter

</article>

Follow

Real Marsha Wright @marshawright

1f4aa.png
1f4af.png
THERE HAS NEVER BEEN....
NOR WILL THERE EVER BE...

ONE LIKE MUHAMMAD ALI
1f4aa.png
1f4af.png

11:23 PM - 3 Jun 2016

• 4141 Retweets

• 5050 likes
  • <twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" data-tweet-id="738934179346292740" style="box-sizing: inherit; position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;">

</twitterwidget>

</twitterwidget>

Banned
Tokens
Muhammad Ali's greatest quotes

Last Updated: 04/06/16 9:36am

<figure class="widge-figure" property="associatedMedia" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; clear: left;">
3090282-10-1-2048x1536_3478189.jpg

Muhammad Ali was well known for his unique way with words
</figure>
Muhammad Ali's remarks outside the ring were as legendary as his boxing talents in it.
Here are some of his best-known quotes...
<figure class="widge-figure widge-figure--video" property="associatedMedia" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; clear: left;">
Former heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali has died aged 74 after a 30-year battle with Parkinson's disease​
</figure>
:: "Hey Floyd - I seen you! Someday I'm gonna whup you! Don't you forget, I am the greatest!" To then-world heavyweight champion Floyd Patterson during the 1960 Olympic Games.
:: "Why are all the angels white? Why ain't there no black angels?" In a sermon at apostolic church in 1983.
:: "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." On his strategy in the ring.
<figure class="widge-figure widge-figure--video" property="associatedMedia" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; clear: left;">

Sky Sports Boxing's Johnny Nelson has paid tribute to Muhammad Ali, describing him as a man ahead of his time​
</figure>
:: "It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." When asked by the New York Times in 1977 if he would miss boxing.
:: "Boxing is a lot of white men watching two black men beat each other up."
:: "What's really hurting me - the name Islam is involved, and Muslim is involved and causing trouble and starting hate and violence. Islam is not a killer religion, Islam means peace. I couldn't just sit home and watch people label Muslims as the reason for this problem." In the aftermath of the 2001 World Trade Center attacks.
<figure class="widge-figure" property="associatedMedia" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; clear: left;">
3395680-10-1-2048x1536_3478181.jpg

Ali was a three-time world heavyweight champion
</figure>
:: "At home, I am a nice guy but I don't want the world to know. Humble people, I've found, don't get very far."
:: "I never thought of losing, but now that it's happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life." After losing to Ken Norton in 1973.
:: "Sonny Liston is nothing. The man can't talk. The man can't fight. The man needs talking lessons. The man needs boxing lessons. And since he's gonna fight me, he needs falling lessons." Before fighting world heavyweight champion Sonny Liston in February 1964.
Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn says Muhammad Ali was an instantly recognisable icon to people around the world​
</figure>
:: "I had a good time boxing. I enjoyed it - and I may come back." On being crowned Sports Personality of the Century by the BBC in 1999.
:: "I'm not the greatest. I'm the double greatest. Not only do I knock 'em out, I pick the round. I'm the boldest, the prettiest, the most superior, most scientific, most skillfullest fighter in the ring today."
:: "Cassius Clay is a slave name. I didn't choose it, and I didn't want it. I am Muhammad Ali, a free name, and I insist people using it when speaking to me and of me."
Tributes have been flooding in from around the sporting world for Muhammad Ali​
</figure>
:: "I only said I was the greatest, not the smartest." Writing in his autobiography about the US Army measuring his IQ at 78.
:: "I may not talk perfect white talk-type English but I give you wisdom."
:: "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong." After refusing to the join the war in Vietnam in 1967.
muhammad-ali-boxing-heavyweight_3477777.jpg

Ali was never shy around microphones
</figure>
:: "I'm the onliest person that can speak to everybody in the whole world. My name is known in Serbia, Pakistan, Morocco. These are countries that don't follow the Kentucky Derby."
:: "Sometimes I feel a little sad because I can see how some things I said could upset some people. But I did not deliberately try to hurt anyone. The hype was part of my job, like skipping rope." Asked in 2004 what he thought when he looked back on the boxer he was.
muhammad-ali-leon-spinks-boxing_3477765.jpg

Ali grabbed the mic on the night he beat Leon Spinks
</figure>
:: "Now the things that once were so effortless - my strong voice and the quickness of my movements - are more difficult. But I get up every day and try to live life to the fullest because each day is a gift from God." In the same interview when asked about living with Parkinson's.
:: "Maybe my Parkinson's is God's way of reminding me what is important. It slowed me down and caused me to listen rather than talk. Actually, people pay more attention to me now because I don't talk as much."
:: "Joe's gonna come out smokin', but I ain't gonna be jokin'. This might shock and amaze ya. But I'm going to destroy Joe Frazier." Before losing to Joe Frazier in their first fight, March 8 1971.

Tokens
One MUST include , in his legacy , arguably his greatest achievement - using sporting glory / fame to
help his fellow man

Mr. Ali had a big heart . A philanthropist .

rip

Tokens
:)

In his retirement, Ali devoted much of his time to philanthropy. He announced that he had Parkinson's disease in 1984, a degenerative neurological condition, and was involved in raising funds for the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center in Phoenix, Arizona. Over the years, Ali also supported the Special Olympics and the Make-A-Wish Foundation, among other organizations. In 1996, he lit the Olympic cauldron at the Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta, an emotional moment in sports history.
Ali traveled to numerous countries, including Mexico and Morocco, to help out those in need. In 1998, he was chosen to be a United Nations Messenger of Peace because of his work in developing nations.
In 2005, Ali received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush. He also opened the Muhammad Ali Center in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, that same year. "I am an ordinary man who worked hard to develop the talent I was given," he said. "Many fans wanted to build a museum to acknowledge my achievements. I wanted more than a building to house my memorabilia. I wanted a place that would inspire people to be the best that they could be at whatever they chose to do, and to encourage them to be respectful of one another."

Tokens
he was a Muslim. Orthodox Islam :)

Banned
Tokens
Howard Pre Toupee, Muhammad and Wilt, promoting the proposed fight that never happened.

Banned
Tokens
One MUST include , in his legacy , arguably his greatest achievement - using sporting glory / fame to
help his fellow man

Mr. Ali had a big heart . A philanthropist .

rip
:103631605As great as he was in the ring, he was a far greater man out of the ring.
ali18.PNG

Banned
Tokens
Ali in WWF setting up what was a travesty of a match with Antonio Inoki in Japan. I've seen this clip dozens of times but never really noticed how pathetic a Bump Baron Mikkel took. He reacted about a second after Gorilla slapped him, and he just launched himself over the ropes:ohno:.

Banned
Tokens
Ali had hand in improved treatment and release of Jason Rezaian by Iran. Beautiful story.

Tokens
yea,the greatest draft dodger of all time,...refused to fight for his country,....won't be missed

Nirvana Shill
Tokens
yea,the greatest draft dodger of all time,...refused to fight for his country,....won't be missed

you're right , he was the greatest draft dodger of all time....to bad others didn't follow his lead...Govt should never have led us into that war....nobody should have gone.....

Tokens
yeah never really liked the guy either that and his attitude made him one of the worst things to happen to sports and boxing everyone trying to be like him

Tokens

You sound like a bitter loser. Were you too dumb to get out of Vietnam or something?

Yeah, Ali should have gone and fought in Vietnam like a sucker.

Tokens

Guy was a scumbag in many ways....first and for most to his wives (fucked around on them countless times)....was a scum calling Joe a "gorilla"....was a scum not feeding others when they helped him in times of trouble....

People need to research him deep down and find out his mouth was the most he had...The greatest, NO - guy had 5 loses, should have had 7+ but got the benefit of those two (those who know boxing, know the two I'm talking about)....

Tokens

If Mr Trump becomes president does he take that title ?.......what was it , bone spurs ?

sorry, couldn't resist

Tokens
you're right , he was the greatest draft dodger of all time....to bad others didn't follow his lead...Govt should never have led us into that war....nobody should have gone.....

RED,besides the war should have never happened it did,...so the bottom line is,scumbag ALI dodged the draft and threw his nose to america,..not cool

You sound like a bitter loser. Were you too dumb to get out of Vietnam or something?

Yeah, Ali should have gone and fought in Vietnam like a sucker.

you sound just like him with those words,...i guess all the soldiers in iraq are suckers too,...well.your the only sucker,they are our heros fighting for our country,.....go live in africa ,thats where you and ALI belong

Nirvana Shill
Tokens
RED,besides the war should have never happened it did,...so the bottom line is,scumbag ALI dodged the draft and threw his nose to america,..not cool

you sound just like him with those words,...i guess all the soldiers in iraq are suckers too,...well.your the only sucker,they are our heros fighting for our country,.....go live in africa ,thats where you and ALI belong

It wasn't fighting for our country !...Viet Cong didn't do anything to us .. did I miss something ? Did they invade us ? Bottom line is, a select few with there own agendas sent innocent Americans to die...for what ?

Tokens

Yes, because every war is for the freedom of America.......especially Vietnam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TennisMonger
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com