MMA News

Search

Tokens
Professional Fighters Association launched today. A fighter union, with support from major sports's players associations. Something to keep an eye on if any big name fighters decide to buy in to it.

Ben Rothwell out of UFC 203 with knee injury.

Tokens
Dana white "win or lose, conor will go back down to 145lbs and defend his featherweight title"

Dana white "GSP will not be fighting Tyron Woodley, instead he will be fighting Stephen Thompson later this year'

When you're broke, you Break
Tokens
McGregor spent $300,000 during preparations for Diaz

Conor McGregor is all in when it comes to a welterweight rematch against Nate Diaz at UFC 202 on Aug. 20 in Las Vegas -- in more ways than one.

In addition to mental and physical demands, McGregor (19-3) estimates he's spent $300,000 during preparations for the fight.

Preparations have taken place in Dublin, Iceland and Las Vegas. The 27-year-old has been relatively isolated in the desert since early July. Doing so, with a full camp, has not been cheap.

"With gyms, cars, transport, flights, accommodations -- I'd estimate we're talking a $300,000 camp here," McGregor told ESPN.

"This is a big, big expense -- but what I make is big. So, in the bigger picture, it's rather small."

McGregor's reported purse to the Nevada State Athletic Commission for UFC 196 was $1 million, although he makes much more in undisclosed pay-per-view bonuses.

In addition to head coach John Kavanagh and coach Owen Roddy, McGregor has employed a masseuse, a performance coach, a movement coach, a nutritionist and various sparring partners for this recent camp.

Grappling partner Dillon Danis, from New York, was flown to Dublin, then Las Vegas. Irish middleweight boxer Conor Wallace was brought in to mimic Diaz' striking style. A videographer is also part of the camp, to publish promotional videos for McGregor on a regular basis.

The camp is based out of a six-bedroom mansion that sits on a two-acre lot. It was last sold for $2.5 million.

"This is most certainly not another fight," McGregor said. "I have done things differently this fight. We have been going to war every single day in the gym in preparation for this. So, this is a war to me."

Previously, McGregor has not trained so opponent specific -- mostly because his opponent often changes right before a fight.

In eight UFC appearances, four of McGregor's originally scheduled opponents have pulled out due to injury. Two of the four, featherweight Jose Aldo at UFC 189 and lightweight Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 196, pulled out ahead of championship fights.

But McGregor said he never worried about Diaz (19-10) pulling out -- so, he didn't mind investing heavily in a camp tailored to him.

"I do not recall him pulling out of a contest before," McGregor said. "I'm just able to tell things sometimes. So, I feel he will be there and that's it.

"I'm very happy with that. It's a nice feeling for a change. I've never had that. They always pull. They always have. It's nice to have this feeling that the man will show up. The man I'm set to face will be there. So, the preparation has been there."

Tokens
Dana white "win or lose, conor will go back down to 145lbs and defend his featherweight title"

Dana white "GSP will not be fighting Tyron Woodley, instead he will be fighting Stephen Thompson later this year'

If Conor beats Nate, IMO I don't see it.

Sounds like smokescreen for Alvarez vs McGregor at 155 at MSG.

Tokens
Michelle Waterson posts x-ray of broken finger, likely off UFC Fight Night 93

UFC officials have yet to make a formal announcement about Waterson or Daly's status for UFC Fight Night 93.

Tokens
Another UFC 202 price drop:

upper $215 put on sale

some $400 lower bowl dropped to $365 & some Club from $1950 to $1265

Tokens
ONE Championship ban use of soccer kicks in fights

ONE Championship confirmed that should a soccer kick be used by one of their fighters, each case will be judged on its own merits e.g. considering severity, whether it was intentional, damage taken by the other fighter etc.

A fighter can be DQ’d from the fight if the referee believes that is the correct course of action.

Tokens
I LOVE this ... this girl is awesome !

Alexa Grasso to make UFC debut in Mexico City

Unbeaten strawweight Alexa Grasso is set to make her first appearance in the Octagon this November, against TUF 20 alumni Heather Jo Clark.

The two are set to meet at on November 5[SUP]th[/SUP] in Mexico City at the Arena Ciudad de Mexico. The card is expected to feature the finale of The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 3. After being sidelined by injury for fifteen months, Grasso recently made a triumphant return at Invicta 18 defeating Jodie Esquibel by unanimous decision in the main event. The 25-year old has been a constant threat to Invicta’s 115lb division since her debut against Ashley Cummins in September 2014. Earning her first promotional win via a unanimous decision, Grasso went 2-0 with the organisation in her second Invicta bout, defeating WSOF title challenger Alida Gray via TKO in under two minutes. Returning a mere three months later, Grasso earned Fight of the Night honours in a decision win over Mizuki Inoue, setting up a title challenge against Livia Renata Souza at Invicta 14. That title challenge would have to wait however as the Mexican developed a shoulder injury in the lead up to the fight. Furthermore, a match up against Stephanie Eggink earlier this year had to be cancelled after the Mexican suffered a hand injury.

Fit and healthy once again, Grasso will look to continue her unbeaten run and make the first move in her quest for UFC gold. Facing the unbeaten prospect in her own back yard will be Ultimate Fighter product, Heather-Jo Clark. After a lacklustre performance in the Ultimate Fighter house, Clark bounced back in her UFC debut, beating Bec Rawlings via a unanimous decision at the TUF 20 Finale. After waiting seventeen months for her next call up, Clark lost a unanimous decision to Karolina Kowalkiewicz earlier this year at UFC Rotterdam. Currently sporting a 7-5 record, the 35-year-old will be looking to avoid back to back losses with the UFC in 2016.

With three fights announced for the card so far, UFC Fight Night Mexico City currently looks as follows:

• Rafael Dos Anjos (25-8) vs. Tony Ferguson (21-3)
  • Beneil Dariush (13-2) vs. Rashid Magomedov (19-1)
  • Alexa Grasso (8-0) vs. Heather Clark (7-5)

Tokens
Georges St Pierre Enters USADA Testing Pool for UFC Return

Since the at-the-time UFC welterweight champion Georges St Pierre took a sabbatical from MMA following his successful UFC 167 title defence against Johny Hendricks, there has been much speculation about whether or not the Canadian would return to the sport. Such speculation has intensified in recent weeks after the new UFC welterweight king Tyron Woodley claimed that St Pierre was interested in fighting him for the title, and that the feeling was mutual. It now appears that the fight is a massive step closer to coming to fruition, as St Pierre has told Bloody Elbow that he has entered himself in the USADA testing pool and that he wants to return.

Tokens
50c2be2849657f7ab01179683187c67d78a1cd71329c24ae9d2e66a39fa6cd2a_large.jpg beauty
aktion033.gif

Tokens
Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans Targeted for UFC 205 in NYC

A middleweight bout between Tim Kennedy and Rashad Evans is currently targeted for the UFC's first event in New York City.

Sources close to the bout confirmed the news with FloCombat on Monday afternoon.

The fight will be Evans debut at middleweight. The former NCAA division 1 wrestler from Michigan State first burst onto the UFC scene when he won the heavyweight portion of The Ultimate Fighter season 2. After winning as an undersized heavyweight, Evans dropped down to light heavyweight, where he would eventually capture the title in that division. In recent years, Evans has only won two fights against four losses.

Kennedy has been on the sidelines since a controversial September 2014 loss to Yoel Romero, but he has stayed busy with outside projects, including the filming of the reality show "Hunting Hitler" on The History Channel.

UFC 205 takes place at Madison Square Garden. It is the return of the promotion after the state finally passed a law legalizing mixed martial arts earlier this year.

Tokens
UFC 204 Official – US Start Times, Ticket Information & Seven Fights Revealed

As had been previously reported, the event start at 11pm on October 8th local time, the main card will then subsequently kick off at 3am UK time to accommodate pay-per-view television.

[h=3]UFC 204 Times[/h]UFC Fight Pass Card
Manchester (BST) – 11pm Oct 8th
New York (EDT) – 6pm Oct 8th
Las Vegas (PDT) – 3pm Oct 8th

Preliminary Card
Manchester (BST) – 1AM Oct 9th
New York (EDT) – 8pm Oct 8th
Las Vegas (PDT) – 5pm Oct 8th

Main Card
Manchester (BST) – 3AM Oct 9th
New York (EDT) – 10pm Oct 8th
Las Vegas (PDT) – 7pm Oct 8th

The fight card currently consists of seven fights including Michael Bisping Taking on Dan Henderson in the main event, Gegard Mousasi taking on Vitor Belfort and Jimi Manuwa facing former title contender Ovince Saint Preux.

Stefan Struve vs Ruslan Magomedov, Brad Pickett vs Iuri Alcantara, Davey Grant v Damian Stasiak and Adriano Martins v Leonardo Santos have also been announced.

[h=3]UFC 204 – Fight Card[/h]Michael Bisping v Dan Henderson
Gegard Mousasi v Vitor Belfort
Jimi Manuwa v Ovince Saint Preux
Stefan Struve v Ruslan Magomedo
Brad Pickett v Iuri Alcantara
Davey Grant v Damian Stasiak
Adriano Martins v Leonardo Santos

[h=3]UFC 204 Ticket Information[/h]UFC Fight Club members from September 7, newsletter subscribers from September 8 and general sale will start on September 9

Tokens
Jon Jones says he could be back in the Octagon “really soon”

Today Jones took to his Instagram to reveal some new details about his situation:

He said in the video “I’m sure you guys are all curious about what is going on with this USADA situation, obviously I can’t get into it because it is still pending, but what I can say is we have found out lots of really good news and I am expecting to get back in the Octagon really soon. Thank you guys for your continued support.”

This video was later deleted, and there has been no official word made by the UFC. Jones was facing a two-year suspension for this violation. Jones spoke at a press conference following the removal from the fight and he said “They found something in one of my samples, I don’t even know how to pronounce it. I’ve been taking the same supplements the majority of my career. I’ve been so outspoken about being against any type of performance enhancers. To this day, I’m extremely against performance enhancers.”

Tokens
BJ Penn returns against Ricardo Lamas at UFC Manila card

UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn is finally set to return to action and he's got a top five opponent awaiting him.

Penn will face No. 4 ranked featherweight Ricardo Lamas in the main event for the UFC's return to Manila in the Philippines on Saturday, October 15. UFC officials announced the new bout early Monday morning.

Penn has faced a long road back to the Octagon as he came out of retirement and declared that he was making one more run in the UFC.

The Hawaiian was originally scheduled to return in June at UFC 199, but he instead faced a six-month suspension after taking an IV above the allowed limit ahead of his fight, which was a violation of the UFC's anti-doping policy.

With his suspension coming to an end, Penn is now ready to resume his career in October in a very tough test as he competes for the first time since July 2014.

Lamas is looking to bounce back from his last fight where he fell to fellow featherweight Max Holloway at UFC 199.

A former title contender at 145 pounds, Lamas has gone 3-2 in his past five fights as he looks to regain his standing in the division while facing a legend in Penn.

Lamas vs. Penn is the first confirmed bout for the UFC card taking place in the Philippines on October 15 with more fights expected to be announced in the coming days.

Tokens
BJ Penn returns against Ricardo Lamas at UFC Manila card

UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn is finally set to return to action and he's got a top five opponent awaiting him.

Penn will face No. 4 ranked featherweight Ricardo Lamas in the main event for the UFC's return to Manila in the Philippines on Saturday, October 15. UFC officials announced the new bout early Monday morning.

Penn has faced a long road back to the Octagon as he came out of retirement and declared that he was making one more run in the UFC.

The Hawaiian was originally scheduled to return in June at UFC 199, but he instead faced a six-month suspension after taking an IV above the allowed limit ahead of his fight, which was a violation of the UFC's anti-doping policy.

With his suspension coming to an end, Penn is now ready to resume his career in October in a very tough test as he competes for the first time since July 2014.

Lamas is looking to bounce back from his last fight where he fell to fellow featherweight Max Holloway at UFC 199.

A former title contender at 145 pounds, Lamas has gone 3-2 in his past five fights as he looks to regain his standing in the division while facing a legend in Penn.

Lamas vs. Penn is the first confirmed bout for the UFC card taking place in the Philippines on October 15 with more fights expected to be announced in the coming days.

BJ Penn needs to hang em up.

Tokens
Luke Rockhold Open to Fighting Chris Weidman at UFC 205

There's nothing Luke Rockhold wants more in this world than to get the UFC middleweight title back around his waist.

Two months have passed since Rockhold lost his belt to Michael Bisping at UFC 199 in Los Angeles, and there hasn't been a day (72 of them) where the former champion hasn't been charged up for redemption. Rockhold is a competitor to the bone whose entire purpose in mixed martial arts is to prove he's the best in the world.

He's owned that mantle before, and is bound and determined to do so again.

"I'm always motivated to be the very best at what I do and I don't like losing," Rockhold said. "I'm going to do everything in my power to correct my mistakes, get healthy and go back and do what I need to do. I lost track of what I was doing and how I was approaching my fights. I screwed up.

"It was a learning experience and I'm looking forward to getting back in there and proving I'm the best in the world at this game."

Rockhold is far from satisfied with how things played out at UFC 199 back in June, but he also knows not to let unfavorable results consume him. The former Strikeforce champion turned UFC star rose to the top of the biggest promotion in MMA on the strength of a versatile skillset and mental toughness, and the latter helped him find balance in the aftermath of the rematch with Bisping.

Rather than sit and stew about what went wrong, the native Californian immersed himself in the good life to keep his mind at level. Rockhold has never been known to shy away from the fruits of what his hard work has produced, and living in the moment has helped prepare him for the road back to title contention.

"I'm living well, man," Rockhold said. "I'm getting my body healthy and handling some business. I have two properties I bought and I've been getting the permits and figuring out how I want to build there. I've been involved in that process with the house and then I've stayed busy on the road with some other things I have in the works as well.

"I bounced over to Costa Rica for a bit recently. Had an old friend's bachelor party that I got talked into attending. I promised I would support him and had a little excursion/surf trip down in Costa. I like it down there. It was a good trip.

"It's a struggle sometimes but you have to be tough it out," he laughed. "Pulling yourself up off the couch to get down to that island to support my friend wasn't easy, but I got the job done."

Rockhold is looking for the quickest route to another title opportunity, and the best way to make that happen will be to step into the Octagon against another established name. Not only does he have the perfect opponent in mind, but also has the ideal date for the high-stakes affair.

"I'm not opposed to fighting Chris Weidman on the New York card. I actually like the sound of that a lot--has a nice ring to it. Finding the right opponent is the key element and I know Mr. Weidman is quite adamant about getting that rematch. I'm not opposed to that whatsoever.

"November is a pretty ideal timeframe. I'm getting back to full training and getting everything in my body back in line to prepare myself for the hard grind. I'll be ready for whatever comes my way, but I think fighting Chris Weidman in Madison Square Garden sounds pretty good. If something interesting pops up before that, I could be ready for that as well."

The reason Rockhold will be forced to take another bout rather than get an immediate rematch against Bisping is due to the next title opportunity being given to Dan Henderson. And while Bisping vs. Henderson was only recently announced by the promotion, the matchup lingered as one of the worst kept secrets in MMA in the interim.

Rockhold, much like the rest of his peers in the upper tier of the middleweight fold, was none too happy with the UFC's decision to book the rematch.

"It's a bit confusing to me," Rockhold said. "It's a tough one to understand at times, but Dan is a legend," Rockhold said. "He's earned his stripes and I think this fight has a lot to do with Dan having the opportunity to fight for the thing he's been working for his entire life. I respect that and I'm happy for him, but I think this fight has more to do with Bisping.

"I think he completely bitched out because he didn't want to fight certain guys at the top. Bisping's very sore about the loss to Dan and wants to try to get that back. He sees Dan aging a bit and knows that's his only opportunity."

This turn of events surrounding the headlining bout at UFC 204 has created mixed emotions for Rockhold. While he wants nothing more than to get his hands on Bisping for another go, he's happy to see his longtime friend and MMA legend Henderson get the chance to finish his career taking a shot at the one and only title that has eluded him throughout his storied career.

"It's definitely a weird spot for me to be in," Rockhold said. "I don't like Bisping and hope Henderson goes in there and knocks him the fuck out again. I've helped Henderson prepare for years and years, training camp after training camp, and I may just go down there and help him prepare for this fight as well.

"I don't think I should change my mindset just because he's fighting for my title. Friendship are friendships. I know Dan and we've talked about the shot [the UFC] is giving him. I'm not opposed to doing what I've always done and that's go down there and help out a friend."

In the coming weeks Rockhold will find himself back on the grind and aiming toward his next target inside the Octagon. Rockhold will put his head down and get to work, pushing himself to meet the demands of excellence he set for himself long ago.

Rockhold knows he has what it takes to stand atop the middleweight mountain, but he's also savvy enough to understand adjustments need to be made. Rockhold is a man of many natural talents and confidence for days, but even the things that come easily to him have to be kept in check going forward.

These are things that must be done, and Rockhold is adamant he'll do whatever it takes to become a champion again.

"Getting my title back is what I'm focused on," Rockhold said. "That's where it starts. I know I what I'm capable of and know I'm better than everyone else from a technical standpoint. I know I have more skills, heart and drive than anyone else out there. You put those all together and there's a recipe there to do great things, but I have to get the right mindset coming into these fights.

"I can't fuck around. I can't think I'm too good. I can't get cocky and get caught up out there trying to out-perform myself. Those are all mistakes I made. I went out there and fought through the knee injury thinking that wouldn't matter and lost track of myself by thinking I need to do more than just win.

"Now it's time to reset. I'm coming back to do what I need to do, and I'm going to get my title back."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mu88forum
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com