Phil Steele's best Week 7 college football bets

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]Phil Steele's best Week 7 college football bets[/h]Phil Steele
ESPN Staff Writer

ESPN INSIDER

Each week during the 2016 college football season, I will offer my picks and best bets for the biggest games, and I will highlight a handful of other key matchups.
Last season, my selections went 104-33 (76 percent) picking the straight-up winners during the regular season and 74-61-2 (55 percent) against the spread.
My selections are off to a slower start this year, at 34-18 straight up (65 percent) and 24-26-2 ATS. On the weekly podcast with Anita Marks and Doug Kezirian, my selections are 12-7-1 ATS on the year, so check that out this Friday.
Here are my selections for this week's big games.
Note: All times are Eastern for Saturday's contests. Lines courtesy of Westgate SuperBook as of Wednesday morning.

254.gif
204.gif
[h=2]No. 21 Utah Utes (-9) at Oregon State Beavers[/h]4 p.m., Pac-12 Network
I picked Utah to win at home over Arizona last week. The Utes trailed 14-3 but rolled the rest of the game. They outscored the Wildcats 36-3 until allowing a late 63-yard touchdown pass in garbage time. Oregon State will feel it can win this game after beating Cal at home in Week 6 -- the same Bears team that dealt Utah its only loss of the year two weeks ago.

Quarterback Darell Garretson, who was banged up in Oregon State's loss to Colorado, had 105 rushing yards and Ryan Nall added 221. The Beavers piled up their best offensive showing under Gary Andersen with 559 total yards. But despite those facts, I still believe Utah has the edge in all three phases, including a large edge on defense with my No. 12-rated unit (OSU rates 84th). Oregon State trailed Boise State 31-7 at the half in their Week 4 matchup in Corvallis after being outgained 435 yards to 67. The Beavers benefited from Cal quarterback Davis Webb injuring his throwing hand on the second series as he threw for just 124 yards on 45 pass attempts.
Utah is a clear contender in the Pac-12 South, while Oregon State is only in the second year of Andersen's rebuild, and the price is cheap.
ATS pick: Utah
Score: Utah 28, Oregon State 13

277.gif
2641.gif
[h=2]No. 20 West Virginia Mountaineers atTexas Tech Red Raiders (+1)[/h]Noon, Fox Sports 1
West Virginia is one of two Big 12 teams that remain unbeaten, and has risen to No. 20 in the AP poll. This is the Mountaineers' first game in an opponent's stadium this year, and it will be a tough test. They survived a close call in their Week 4 home matchup with BYU, and in their last game trailed Kansas State most of the way until pulling out a one-point home win.
Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes (shoulder injury) played last week, and the Red Raiders are outgaining FBS foes by 159 yards per game. West Virginia is only plus 42.6 yards per game against FBS opponents, despite not having to go on the road. Texas Tech has played to an average game grade of 91.9 (located on the team pages at philsteele.com) and has a solid home field edge, while West Virginia is playing to an average game grade of 88.8. My computer has the home team winning by a touchdown, and it is a slight 'dog.
ATS pick: Texas Tech (+)
Score: Texas Tech 45, West Virginia 38

152.gif
228.gif
[h=2]NC State Wolfpack at No. 3 Clemson Tigers(-17)[/h]Noon, ABC
I had no idea that NC State's game against Notre Dame would be played in a torrential downpour when I wrote this column last Tuesday. The Wolfpack got the game's only touchdown on a blocked punt. But this week, they will have a much tougher test.
Clemson got off to a slow start this year, but their offense is hitting their stride, much like they did around the same time last year. The Tigers topped 500 yards against both Louisville and Boston College's tough defenses while the defense is holding foes to 170 yards per game below their season average. Clemson has a big game against Florida State on deck, but have a bye next week. NC State is solid, but has beaten just one team that was in a bowl game the prior year in the past two seasons -- and that was last week in bad weather.
Clemson has taken on my No. 21-toughest schedule so far, and the Wolfpack my No. 94 toughest.
ATS pick: Clemson
Score: Clemson 38, NC State 14

333.gif
2633.gif
[h=2]No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide at No. 9Tennessee Volunteers (+13)[/h]3:30 p.m., CBS
Tennessee finishes its four-game gauntlet at home in front of its home crowd. The Vols have followed the same pattern nearly every game -- getting down big early, then playing a great second half to win. Last week, Tennessee lost in double overtime to Texas A&M, despite turning the ball over seven times and finishing minus four turnovers. The Vols had almost 700 yards of offense at College Station, and put up 498 yards against Florida two weeks ago, one of the best defenses in the country. They're a banged up team, but are getting nearly two touchdowns here.
Alabama's defense scored two more touchdowns last week, but I was alarmed by the 473 yards and 25 first downs they allowed to the Razorbacks. While they did win by 19, they also benefited from a 100-plus yard interception return, which was a 14-point swing. Earlier this year, they allowed 527 yards to Ole Miss and escaped with a five-point road win. Last year on the road, the Vols almost upset Alabama, with the Tide needing a touchdown with 2:24 left to escape with a five-point win.
I feel the Tide is the best team in the country and will win, but will take the nearly two touchdowns with a Tennessee team that is stronger than last year's squad and has Joshua Dobbs playing the best football of his career.
ATS pick: Tennessee (+)
Score: Alabama 37, Tennessee 30

194.gif
275.gif
[h=2]No. 2 Ohio State Buckeyes (-10) at No. 8Wisconsin Badgers[/h]8:00 p.m., ABC
A few weeks back I took Michigan at home over Wisconsin and did not get the ATS win. That game does give me some line value here. Michigan did have 349-159 yards and 21-8 first-down edges, but only won by seven. Ohio State could have been looking ahead to this last week in its 21-point win at Indiana. It finished that game with the ball deep in Hoosier territory and could have won by 28.
Wisconsin's offense is being limited to 52 yards per game below what their opponents allow on average in their past three games. Their defense is solid, holding foes to 121 yards per game below their season average. Ohio State has been much more dominant, averaging 127 yards per game more than what their opponents allow, and the defense is holding teams to 216 yards per game below their average.
Ohio State won at Michigan last year by 29 and at Oklahoma this year by 21.
ATS pick: Ohio State
Score: Ohio State 27, Wisconsin 10

2306.gif
201.gif
[h=2]Kansas State Wildcats (+11) at No. 19Oklahoma Sooners[/h]Noon, ESPN
Oklahoma still has a great shot at winning the Big 12 and finishing the year at 10-2, as it'll be favored in the rest of its games. It has Samaje Perine and Joe Mixonat running back and Baker Mayfield at quarterback. Its offense is averaging 200 rushing and 300 passing yards per game. The Sooners are holding opponents to 81 yards per game below their average. They are worthy of being a big favorite here, but Bill Snyder is on the other sideline and that makes this an automatic play. There is no better coach in the country when he is installed as the 'dog. Already this year, Kansas State outgained Stanford on the road 335-272, led West Virginia almost start to finish before coming up three points short, but beat the Vegas number in each.
Kansas State is holding opponents to 94 yards per game below their season average and takes this one to the wire.
ATS pick: Kansas State (+)
Score: Oklahoma 30, Kansas State 26

145.gif
8.gif
[h=2]No. 12 Ole Miss Rebels (-7.5) at No. 22Arkansas Razorbacks[/h]7:00 p.m., ESPN
Fourth and 25! Last year that was the predicament Arkansas faced in overtime against Ole Miss. The miracle play involved its tight end throwing the ball about 20 yards backwards, which was picked up by its running back, who broke some tackles and ran for a first down. If not for that play and subsequent loss, Ole Miss would have been in the SEC title game, and Alabama would not have even made the Playoff! There is a matter of revenge here.
While both teams are 4-2, I don't view them as equals. Ole Miss has a pair of close losses to Alabama and Florida State after having big leads in both games. Arkansas has two losses by an average of 20 points per game. Arkansas is allowing 315 rushing yards per game in SEC play, and a mind-boggling 8.9 yards per carry. The Razorback defense is allowing 6.6 yards per play, which is No. 119 in the FBS, and to make matters worse, linebacker Dre Greenlaw will miss the remainder of the year after suffering a foot injury last week (he was their leading tackler). Their offensive line is not playing up to their normal standard. In three games versus Power 5 teams, they are averaging 124 rushing yards per game and 3.1 yards per carry.
I used the Rebels in this spot in their last SEC game and they delivered a crushing 45-14 win over Georgia. After building a 45-0 lead, they yielded 193 of the 396 total yards allowed. Arkansas is playing a seventh straight week, while Ole Miss is fresh off a bye. I will keep riding the Rebels here.
ATS pick: Ole Miss
Score: Ole Miss 35, Arkansas 24

259.gif
183.gif
[h=2]No. 17 Virginia Tech Hokies (-19.5) atSyracuse Orange[/h]3:45 p.m., ESPNU
Last week I acknowledged that Washington was not in a great situation against Oregon, but I still selected the Huskies to roll on the road, and they did. This is the same type of game.
Virginia Tech is off a big win against defending Coastal Champ North Carolina and have a huge Thursday night home game against Miami on deck. They Hokies are a large favorite on the road. Last week's game was played in poor conditions as Virginia Tech had just 264 yards, but its scoring drives were 3, 28, 41, 22, 4 and 29 yards in scoring 34 points. This week the game is in a dome, so the offense should get back on track -- plus quarterback Jerod Evans has a 15-1 ratio. This is the same offense that put up 400 yards against Tennessee and 476 versus a tough Boston College defense.
Bud Foster's defense is holding foes to 201 yards per game below their average and allows just 40.8 percent completions. Dino Babers has changed schemes on both sides of the ball and does not have the personnel to fit them. The defense is allowing 100 yards per game more than their opponents average. The offense has gone from running 62.5 plays per game last year to a much more up-tempo 83.1 this year, but the points per game has gone from 27.3 to 25.6. Syracuse has already lost games at home by 34 and 25 points.
ATS pick: Virginia Tech
Score: Virginia Tech 47, Syracuse 23

9.gif
38.gif
[h=2]Arizona State Sun Devils (+13.5) overColorado Buffaloes[/h]8:00 p.m., Pac-12 Network
The Sun Devils had a backup quarterback last week, but still delivered for me in their upset of UCLA. I'm concerned that despite their 2-1 record in the Pac-12, they're being outgained by 190 yards per game. Last week's starting quarterbackBrady White is also likely out for the year while Manny Wilkins, who started the first five games, didn't practice Tuesday -- so it's possible ASU will have to go with true freshman Dillon Sterling-Cole.

The teams have one mutual opponent in USC, and while Colorado only lost by four on the road and the Sun Devils by 21, the stats were similar -- plus, Colorado could easily have lost by more last week. I love what Mike MacIntyre is doing with Colorado. The Buffs handled a large favorite role (-17) against Oregon State two weeks ago, winning 47-6. Still, this is a solid Arizona State team that is as much a contender in the South as Colorado. The Sun Devils have a massive edge on special teams with my No. 1-rated unit versus the No. 107-unit of the Buffs.
Arizona State has not only won the past seven in the series, but the Sun Devils won those games by an average of 27 points per game with every win by at least 14 points. Now they're a two-touchdown 'dog?
ATS pick: Arizona State (+)
Score: Colorado 34, Arizona State 28

Medium Rare
Tokens
Wow, this dude lost all 9 picks. 0 - 9.

How is this guy on TV?

9 teamer fade would have paid around 340-1!

Banned
Tokens
Wow, this dude lost all 9 picks. 0 - 9.

How is this guy on TV?

9 teamer fade would have paid around 340-1!

Its Incredible. Same Shit happened late last season....or the one before I can't recall cuz Time is passing like a Vapor but Combined Newsletters actually went 0-16

Playbook Marc Lawrence, Inside The Pressbox (Phil Steele's Newsletter) plus one other...Red Sheet probably.....

there was a last week of a season or 2nd to last week where combined their Key Selection Star Plays actually managed to go 0-16.

Very few people track this stuff but for those that do it was absolutely Astonishing.

The Thought that keeps returning is:

"Are They Cursed?"

Is to be a Tout to be Cursed by God and, like, by The Heavens? I mean....how else could they lose this much and as often as they do?

For Laughs have a look at the records in the Thread so Generously given us lowly us by the grace and mercy of Our Glorious Leader:

http://www.therxforum.com/showthread.php?t=971451&p=11837683&viewfull=1#post11837683

phil-steele-4.jpg

Thats not Him ^^^^^

Banned
Tokens
Marc Lawrence Playbook NCAA
5* (4-2)
4* (2-3-1) (a loss with Tennessee +5)
3* (1-4-1)
Upset pick (1-5)
Betcha Didn't Know (1-5)
Awesome Angle (2-4)
Incredible Stat (1-5)

Tokens
i have been saying this for some time if you go against his picks every week it money in the bank.............

Medium Rare
Tokens
Think that's what Ckid was doing fading all his pics

I used to fade lang picks couple as early as 2 years ago. But I dont waste time with fading/following cappers by going through service plays anymore. I found one guy that has been working for me over the years and i have been consistently following him over the past years.

These days I see many bettors going through service play forums and trying to come up with best fades but it turns into over analyzing. Lang fade is not effective because his site started up so many imaginary cappers that send out so many plays, so there is no consistent plays. They just randomly spit out plays with each imaginary capper. I don't even bother going through service play section anymore because it will make you lose money long term weather you fade or follow someone. Just find one reliable long term winner who is actually a handicapper and not a marketer like 99% of the touts out there and stick to that one.

Tokens
99, this guy peak about 14 yrs ago and ats he is the best fade in all my yrs i have ever seen

Medium Rare
Tokens
99, this guy peak about 14 yrs ago and ats he is the best fade in all my yrs i have ever seen

I haven't this guy or any newsletters. But what is his ats record so far and what was his ats record last year? This guy picks 10 or more games and majority of the games involved ranked teams. in my experience, such cappers will converge towards 50% long term and you can't really profit off that. sure there will be cold and hot streaks but long term its hard. convince me otherwise. please share his ats record for this year so far and past years if you have. thanks.

Tokens
let me go back and check my files 99, but yes 2 things he does wrong imo, 1 he plays to many top games and 2 he posted plays on wed, what imo is way to early in a week with the college teams..but for yourself check this guy for a few weeks and see if he is not a good fade or imo the best fade ever in college football

Tokens
and yet he quotes his {fictitious} record:
Last season, my selections went 104-33 (76 percent) picking the straight-up winners during the regular season and 74-61-2 (55 percent) against the spread.
My selections are off to a slower start this year, at 34-18 straight up (65 percent) and 24-26-2 ATS. On the weekly podcast with Anita Marks and Doug Kezirian, my selections are 12-7-1 ATS on the year, so check that out this Friday.

Medium Rare
Tokens

His straight up record shows that he picks a lot of favorites. I don't know why people quote the winning percentage or give value it. Winning % is meaning less without the ROI or the odds played. 65% this year straight up he says and he has picked many double digit and multi touchdown favorites....if you bet in those odds you would be down even if you hit 70% of the games straight up.

Banned
Tokens
I used to fade lang picks couple as early as 2 years ago. But I dont waste time with fading/following cappers by going through service plays anymore. I found one guy that has been working for me over the years and i have been consistently following him over the past years.

These days I see many bettors going through service play forums and trying to come up with best fades but it turns into over analyzing. Lang fade is not effective because his site started up so many imaginary cappers that send out so many plays, so there is no consistent plays. They just randomly spit out plays with each imaginary capper. I don't even bother going through service play section anymore because it will make you lose money long term weather you fade or follow someone. Just find one reliable long term winner who is actually a handicapper and not a marketer like 99% of the touts out there and stick to that one.

Yeah I utilize The Newsletters to via Quick Scan of games get certain types of situations within matchups known, to me. The Key is, and this is very very difficult across the board for guys that read the writeups pf Steele, Marc Lawrence, the key is to get able to avoid just Blindly Following and even.....as ckid says: Fade Them

Perfect Example, 3 weeks ago IIRC....across the BOARD all of them were big on Minnesota Gophers -14 IIRC vs......was it CO State? I think so and CO State was down to their 3rd or 4th string Freshman QB

Needless to say...Minny did not cover. Overall giving DD Points with MN Gophers is dumb. Was Hilarious how all of the newsletters had that play though :):)

I'm like you I dont waste time with fading/following cappers but I do jump onboard on occasion when something like you posted about those Totals gets seen. :toast:

Banned
Tokens

The Crap they post about their "Records" is the most Hilarious part of all of this :):)

Tokens
Hache please post this either here or in the college foots forum later this week. Holy Shit!

Banned
Tokens
Hache please post this either here or in the college foots forum later this week. Holy Shit!

He has, for a while now. Great "Go-To" thread if one is considering playing (or plays generally) friggin MARQUEE MATCHUPS cuz there are certain reasons....some very wisely mentioned above as to exactly WHY his Takes on Nationally Televised Games prove to be great Fade Material on par with Brandon Lang or even

JJGold or Brock Landers.

And actually, thinking on it further the 0-16

I mentioned above was, IIRC, Phil Steele NFL Final Week 2 years ago....MIGHT have been Marc Lawrence.....recollection right this moment leads me to say it was Steele's "Inside The Pressbox" newsletter, literally lost came out on the wrong side on ever single game.

Full Newsletters can be found within the thread of The Man, Buzz Kill......here at Rx.....

some will be mad that I posted link to this cuz they selfishly wanna not have guys know that these can be had but hopefully such guys would be a serious small % minority cuz Sharing to Help one another Profit is the correct road to be on.

And literally NO ONE in all of Forumville does this to a more selfless degree than Mr. Buzz Kill

did-kim-jong-il-come-power_5b652e4df3c1efb6.jpg

http://www.therxforum.com/showthread.php?t=971451&page=97&p=11846135&viewfull=1#post11846135

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
callgirls
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com