Where will the NFL be 20-30 years from now?

Search
Tokens
Still #1?

How many stars does the nfl have now?

Odell, cam newton, tom brady (last couple years) aaron rodgers? Who are the trademark stars nowadays? The qbs have diminished in talent is what comes to mind for me. If aaron rodgers is a top 3 qb....then how many greats do we even have? Brady and big ben?

Kirk cousins is a bum, brian hoyer, jay cutler, cody kessler, Trevor siemian, brock osweiler, ryan tannehil, Fitzpatrick, geno smith.

Is no one watching because it just doesn't interest people to watch Fitzpatrick vs carson palmer? Or winston vs derek anderson? Or is the NFL losing people's interest permanently for a different reason?

Protests? Debates?

Or was mark Cuban right again? Nfl is becoming watered down and oversaturated? Thursday night games being complete garbage games.

Tokens
Concussions and shit too. I wonder how good the nfl will be a couple decades from today. Seems like the greatest days of the nfl as far as supreme/elite qbs are gone. Just my opinion. Odell beckham is the star of the league now. That's pretty pathetic considering he's probably the most overrated wideout in the game today

Tokens
All I said plus I feel like the love is out of the game. Goodell trying to do all this rule changing. Then you got all these cornball daily fantasy bullshit trying to come up. You see that shit every 5 seconds on tv you aren't going to want to watch NFL games unless you have money on them or a player participating in a game. I remember when Favre and Manning was playing, they brought a different type of allure to the game.

Hopefully qbs make a big splash in the NFL in the years to come. Lamar Jackson, Jake Browning are two I am ^ on

Tokens
I know its not like this in all areas but youth football in some areas is struggling for enough signups. Unsure if it is the money involved to play, kids parents worried about concussions or if it is just kids not wanting to play. Either way, the long term success of football and future popularity will be based on the next generations. For me I will probably keep watching until I die.

Tokens
I know its not like this in all areas but youth football in some areas is struggling for enough signups. Unsure if it is the money involved to play, kids parents worried about concussions or if it is just kids not wanting to play. Either way, the long term success of football and future popularity will be based on the next generations. For me I will probably keep watching until I die.

Yeah there's really a lot of reasons. Not saying I'm going to stop watching by any means. But just the quality of play might be at an all time low. Thursdays are to blame. But if this is the trend
..what is to come?

Tokens
It's like where the hell did the centers go in the nba? Where the hell are the elite qbs in the nfl? Big ben and Brady. Brees. Big ben isnt an nfl global star. I feel like no one is anymore except for brady and odell. It's crazy. Used to have about 8-10 of them. Megatron, favre, manning, AP before he beat his kids

Tokens
Ok didn't work. Ill post the link later

Banned
Tokens
<header class="article-header" style="box-sizing: border-box; max-width: 640px; margin: 0px auto 20px; position: relative; z-index: 1000034; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: BentonSans, -apple-system, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">Cuban: With TV deal, NFL is 'hoggy'

</header>Mar 24, 2014
  • i

Tim MacMahonESPN Staff Writer

DALLAS -- Mark Cuban, the outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner, predicts a drastic decline in the NFL's popularity over the next decade due to the league's greed.
<aside class="inline editorial float-r" data-behavior="article_related" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: BentonSans, -apple-system, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; border: 1px solid rgb(220, 221, 223); clear: none; margin: 6px 0px 15px 18px; padding: 15px; width: 282.5px; float: right;">EDITOR'S PICKS

• Seifert: Cuban is wrong about the NFL

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban predicts a drastic decline in the popularity of the NFL, but there is no evidence -- yet -- that football's reach is waning, writes Kevin Seifert.
</aside>"I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion," Cuban said Sunday evening when his pregame conversation with reporters, which covered a broad range of topics, swayed toward football. "I'm just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting hoggy.
"Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."
Cuban was specifically referring to the NFL's recently expanding its television package. He considers it a poor business decision for the NFL, which consistently dominates TV ratings, to play games on days other than Sunday and Monday.
<inline1 style="box-sizing: border-box;"></inline1>
In February, the league announced a one-year deal with CBS and NFL Network to televise Thursday night games. CBS will air the games during the first eight weeks of the season, simulcasting them with NFL Network. The league's cable network will exclusively show six Thursday night games later in the season with CBS' top announcing tandem of Jim Nantz and Phil Simms in the booth. NFL Network also will have a Saturday doubleheader in Week 16.
The NFL started a limited package of Thursday night games in 2006. NFL Network showed 13 Thursday night games last season.
"They're trying to take over every night of TV," Cuban said. "Initially, it'll be, 'Yeah, they're the biggest-rating thing that there is.' OK, Thursday, that's great, regardless of whether it impacts [the NBA] during that period when we cross over. Then if it gets Saturday, now you're impacting colleges. Now it's on four days a week.
<inline2 style="box-sizing: border-box;"></inline2>
"It's all football. At some point, the people get sick of it."
Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones disagreed with Cuban's take.
"We certainly do a lot of work as you know before we jump on these things," Jones said at the NFL owners' meeting in Orlando. "Certainly I can see why he might not say that, that we're getting too saturated. But I think we've done a lot of work to think that we're not."
Cuban said the NFL is making a mistake by valuing television money over the convenience of fans who are used to planning for their NFL teams to play on Sundays with occasional Monday night games. He compared it to the decline in popularity of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" after the game show expanded to air five days a week.
"They put it on every night," Cuban said. "Not 100 percent analogous, but they handled it the same. I'm just telling you, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."
Cuban expounded on his views Monday afternoon on Twitter.
<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin-bottom: 20px !important; margin-left: auto !important; margin-right: auto !important; position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg);"></twitterwidget>
If NFL viewing consumes the majority of Primetime viewing hours of TV spectrum,taxpayers will question subsidizing the NFL w free spectrum
- Mark Cuban (@mcuban) March 24, 2014
<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-1" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin-bottom: 20px !important; margin-left: auto !important; margin-right: auto !important; position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg);"></twitterwidget>
If we wake up 1 morning to find 1 program dominating 5 nights of Primetime TV,non NFL fans will question why they pay for TV if its all NFL
- Mark Cuban (@mcuban) March 24, 2014

Tokens
There will be no NFL as we know it now. Popularity is already happening, injuries especially head injuries and lawsuits will put them finally in financial ruin. .

Tokens
As long as you can bet on it it will be fine -reguardless of any of the other factors effecting it!
If Betting is ever legal in USA Football will never die.........

follow the money

Tokens
As long as you can bet on it it will be fine -reguardless of any of the other factors effecting it!
If Betting is ever legal in USA Football will never die.........

follow the money

I'm with you on following the money. But the money is saying people are not as interested in watching as they once were. I really think it is a combo of things, but honestly the talent level as far as usual stars are not shinning. If Odell beckham is the star of the NFL, then we have a problem IMO. That hopefully is not a trend but I'm believing it might be.

Tokens
HOUSTON — It’s an election year, silly.

That wasn’t the entire company line, but the impact of the dramatic presidential election cycle was certainly a prevailing sentiment as NFL owners gathered Tuesday for their quarterly meeting and assessed the league's unusual and precipitous dip in TV ratings.

Assuming the results aren’t, well, rigged, NFL games — the undisputed king of U.S. sports viewing — were down 11% for the first six weeks of the season when compared to a similar point last year.

“It’s a very muddied water right now because you’ve got obviously the debates going on and you have the Donald Trump show,” Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank told USA TODAY Sports. “That’s a lot of commotion right now. It’s pretty hard to figure out right now what’s real and what’s not.”

The first debate, which ran opposite of a Falcons-New Orleans Saints Monday Night Football matchup in late September, drew a record 84 million viewers. The second debate, coinciding with a New York Giants-Green Bay Packers Sunday night prime-time clash, had 69 million viewers.

“Obviously, the debates have had a big impact,” Houston Texans owner Robert McNair told USA TODAY Sports.

But the debates represent just the biggest of several suspected factors. Tom Brady served four games in Deflategate jail. Peyton Manning retired. The younger generation is increasingly watching games or clips streamed to mobile devices. Too many penalties. Unappealing prime-time matchups. Too many prime-time matchups.

Then there are the protests. The national anthem protests by players, ignited by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s mission to raise awareness about police brutality and social justice inequalities that victimize African Americans, has been a polarizing debate of its own on the NFL’s grand stage. Though the protests — from players like Kaepernick taking a knee, to players raising a fist, to players and coaches locking arms in unity — end when the games begin, they generate much discussion before and after the contests.

Still, the impact of the protests illustrates the power of the NFL’s reach.
“I think it’s the wrong venue,” Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay told USA TODAY Sports. “It hasn’t been a positive thing. What we all have to be aware of as players, owners, PR people, equipment managers, is when the lights go on we are entertainment. We are being paid to put on a show. There are other places to express yourself.”

Irsay’s view is undoubtedly shared by other owners who frown on the protests drawing attention from their product. Given the intense backlash against Kaepernick, it’s plausible that people have turned away to protest the protests.

“People come to the game because they want to get away from what’s happening in their everyday lives,” McNair said. “When you bring those types of things into the scene, yeah, it will turn some people off. But the main thing we try to do is to say, ‘We recognize your concern. Let’s do something about it.’ "

It’s striking that the anthem protests, connected to other factors, are viewed as a variable that seemingly runs deeper than other recent crises. The NFL took tremendous PR hits with its domestic violence issues and concerns about the effects of concussions. But those serious issues seemingly didn’t have a major effect on the ratings.

Last year, NFL games represented 63 of the top 100 highest-rated TV shows. And though NFL viewership was up 27% over the previous 25 years, according to league figures, viewership for all prime-time viewing was down 36%, as TV-watching habits have changed.

It is way premature to suggest that the NFL is in trouble of losing its position as the nation’s most popular sport. Although Monday night’s New York Jets-Arizona Cardinals game drew a 6.2 overnight rating that was down 35% from a New York Giants-Philadelphia Eagles Monday nighter the previous year, it still dwarfed the 3.4 rating of the American League Championship Series game between the Cleveland Indians and Toronto Blue Jays. But you can believe that the league is taking the declining numbers seriously.

What if the lost viewers from this season never come back?

“That should be the NFL’s biggest fear,” consultant Marc Ganis of Sportscorp, Ltd., told USA TODAY Sports, adding that it took years for Major League Baseball to recover after a labor impasse wiped out the playoffs and the World Series in 1994.

“The ratings thing, we can’t ignore,” cautioned Blank, co-founder of The Home Depot.

He knows all about the impact of researching the fan base for clues.

“What’s going up? Where is the softness? How do you respond to that?” Blank said. “It’s no different from my days running The Home Depot, when we had markets where we didn’t get the response. We had to figure out why aren’t we getting customers in our stores here. It didn’t happen very often, but sometimes it happens.”
Now the NFL is similarly challenged to figure out how to best present its product.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...television-tv-ratings-down-election/92388304/

Tokens
They'll be the NHL. They'll have their hardcore group of fans but everyone else will be watching NBA and Soccer (god forbid.) Baseball, unfortunately still 3rd.

Tokens
There will be no NFL as we know it now. Popularity is already happening, injuries especially head injuries and lawsuits will put them finally in financial ruin. .

could be. I'm glad they are taking it very serious, but the only thing that will up the ratings is better games and better talent at notable positions. Russel Wilson and Carson Palmer combining for 4 field goals not a good look. Arizona used to be a throw down the field team LOL.

You have Big Ben, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady, the only 3 qbs who are throwing the ball down the field and making it exciting. Everybody else is checking the shit down. Now that no defenses are jumping for Rodgers, he's checking it down too. This is not a star QB league anymore imo and no one is talking about it but I think that's hurting the game. NFL wants the greatest show on turf. They want record setting seasons. Who's doing it this year?

Tokens
They'll be the NHL. They'll have their hardcore group of fans but everyone else will be watching NBA and Soccer (god forbid.) Baseball, unfortunately still 3rd.

Soccer and NBA are coming more alive, you are right. The younger generation loves the NBA. I think the NFL will still be in a class of its own but I really believe the game is changing for the worse as far as talent. I couldn't tell you how many over throws I have seen this season. Bad quarterbacks missing wide open guys down the field all game.

Bears, Rams, Cleveland, Miami, Buffalo, Washington(some what), Jets, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, San Francisco, Houston. No one cares for these teams except their own fans because all of them have unproven quarterbacks. None of these teams would thrive on primetime...and guess what Tennessee vs Jacksonville is the Thursday night game LOL. I hate the Thursday night game personally....matter of time before they eventually remove it for good I think

Tokens
Soccer and NBA are coming more alive, you are right. The younger generation loves the NBA. I think the NFL will still be in a class of its own but I really believe the game is changing for the worse as far as talent. I couldn't tell you how many over throws I have seen this season. Bad quarterbacks missing wide open guys down the field all game.

Bears, Rams, Cleveland, Miami, Buffalo, Washington(some what), Jets, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, San Francisco, Houston. No one cares for these teams except their own fans because all of them have unproven quarterbacks. None of these teams would thrive on primetime...and guess what Tennessee vs Jacksonville is the Thursday night game LOL. I hate the Thursday night game personally....matter of time before they eventually remove it for good I think

I agree to some extent about the talen but the NFL has always, or at least in the last golden 20 years, been more about The Shield than about the individual. And there's always going to be a bottom half of the league. Just for Ss and Gs, I went back to 2003, week 8. Granted only checked 3 games, but you're starting QBs were Joey Harrington vs Chris Chandler, Kurt Kittner vs Aaron Brooks, and MNF was Brian Griese vs 1-6 Chargers with Drew Brees. Outside of young Brees, Chris Chandler the best of that bunch?

I think it's more than just a shitty product...I think it's always been shitty in places. I think some of it is the concussions and Soccer moms protecting their children, some of it is people fed up with NFL hypocrisy with Ray Rice and Deflatgate inicidents, but I think maybe is just over saturation. They've had a great 30 year run on top, maybe they just peaked.

Tokens
And maybe it's the rule changes. I think QB has always been the center of attention, but with these rule changes it nearly necessitates that it's a throwing league and the QB weaknesses are just that more apparent. You could hide a sub-standard QB previously? Guess not really because Peyton was, by all accounts, substandard and won a Super Bowl last year. But he had the experience to not make the glaring mistakes? IDK, just rambling now.

Tokens
I agree to some extent about the talen but the NFL has always, or at least in the last golden 20 years, been more about The Shield than about the individual. And there's always going to be a bottom half of the league. Just for Ss and Gs, I went back to 2003, week 8. Granted only checked 3 games, but you're starting QBs were Joey Harrington vs Chris Chandler, Kurt Kittner vs Aaron Brooks, and MNF was Brian Griese vs 1-6 Chargers with Drew Brees. Outside of young Brees, Chris Chandler the best of that bunch?

I think it's more than just a shitty product...I think it's always been shitty in places. I think some of it is the concussions and Soccer moms protecting their children, some of it is people fed up with NFL hypocrisy with Ray Rice and Deflatgate inicidents, but I think maybe is just over saturation. They've had a great 30 year run on top, maybe they just peaked.

No doubt. Concussions and all that will certainly make other sports better and hurt the nfl. But definitely over saturation due to shitty Thursdays.

Aaron brooks was alright. Brian Griese was garbage. And joey Harrington was a complete bust. Kurt kittner? He played 7 career games all in one year. He didn't play. Chris chandler wasn't bad at all. Beat one of the best teams of all time in that nfc champ game in 98. Also keep in perspective that back then the running backs for most teams were like the quarterbacks. Yeah there was a couple great qbs of every generation. But it is a pass dominate league now where a short passing game is a running game. If you ask chris chandler to be kirk cousins...I guarantee you his stats would be better than what they are. But he had the dirty bird jamal anderson to feed the ball. Like many teams had a great running back. Now since the game has changed and everyone is throwing for 300 yards... it should be more likely to have great qbs everywhere. But I'm not seeing it. Besides derek carr and carson wentz. Kirk cousins goes 30-39 309 yards. He doesn't throw the ball down the field. Throw the ball 40 times in a 20-17 game? Only in today's game would that happen. He can't throw the ball down field though. I'd take chris chandler and aaron brooks over kirk cousins right now lol

Tokens
I believe it will not be as popular as right now, you have the comish to blame for that, I agree with Cuban

Tokens
Need to bring back the promoting of the big hits

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com