Donald Cerrone -290

Anthony Pettis +175
Max Holloway -210

When you're broke, you Break
Tokens
UFC 206: Holloway vs. Pettis main card predictions
from Jonathan Bradley - FOX Sports

Max Holloway vs. Anthony Pettis

Two of the most talented fighters on the entire roster take aim at each other with UFC gold on the line at UFC 206 on Saturday. Max Holloway has quickly grown into not only one of the best strikers in the entire UFC, but one of the most well-rounded fighters, also. His opponent, also known for his proficiency in all facets of the game, is a former lightweight champion who is eager to hoist a title belt again.

Holloway holds the advantage here with his fist but Pettis is more dynamic with his kicks and should use them to keep his quick-footed opponent off balance. Neither fighter will go out of their way to drag the fight to the mat, as evidenced by their combined .97 takedowns per 15 minutes, so fans are likely looking at a five-round stand-up war on Saturday.

Where Pettis has struggled in recent years is with fighters who push forward with constant pressure and accurate striking -- those attributes just happen to be Holloway’s strength. And with nine straight wins under his belt, the Hawaiian’s confidence level is at an all-time high.

Prediction: Max Holloway by decision

Donald Cerrone vs. Matt Brown

With a combined 41 career finishes, it’s pretty easy to predict how the welterweight bout between Donald Cerrone and Matt Brown will end on Saturday night. It’s figuring out who that’s the hard part.

Cerrone has been absolutely killing it since moving to welterweight, finishing all three of his bouts and shooting all the way up to fifth in the 170-pound rankings. Cerrone has landed 65 percent (147 of 226) of his strikes since moving to welterweight and has maintained the speed and power -- to go along with the improved accuracy -- that made him a serious threat at lightweight.

That accuracy should come in handy against Brown, who has been proven hard to hit during his 22-fight UFC career. Brown only absorbs 2.46 strikes per minute -- which is below the UFC average -- and has eaten more than 50 significant strikes just twice in his UFC career.

He mixes a relentless Muay Thai attack with a ridiculous submission game and has all the tools to shock Cerrone on Saturday night.

Prediction: Matt Brown by third-round TKO

Cub Swanson vs. Dooho Choi

“Korean Superboy” Dooho Choi faces his toughest test to date in fourth-ranked featherweight Cub Swanson.

Choi has shot up to 11th in the UFC featherweight rankings in just three UFC fights thanks in large part to back-to-back-to-back first-round knockouts, two of which earned him Performance of the Night bonuses. In the short amount of time we’ve actually seen Choi fight, he’s show crisp, accurate striking with surprisingly devastating power behind his punches.

Where he hasn’t been tested is on the ground, however, and accomplished grappler Swanson will surely look to do so on Saturday night. But just because we haven’t seen Choi grapple much, doesn’t mean he’s not good at it.

Still, hard for us to go against the well-rounded vet here, despite Choi’s recent success.

Prediction: Cub Swanson by decision in Fight of the Night

Tim Kennedy vs. Kelvin Gastelum

It’s been just over 800 days since Tim Kennedy last fought in the Octagon, and he returns against one of the most talented young fighters in the game.

Before Kennedy’s hiatus, he was considered one of the best middleweights in the world. He has excellent grappling, which helped him dominate current champion Michael Bisping, and while he doesn’t throw with much volume, he hits like a truck.

Gastelum will be taking just his second fight at middleweight after yet another failed weight cut to 170-pounds before his last fight. He enters this fight against Kennedy with a two-inch height and two-and-a-half inch reach disadvantage, so he’ll need to use his speed to close the distance and land his powerful overhands.

Tough fight to call given Kennedy’s absence and Gastelum’s return to middleweight.

Prediction: Tim Kennedy by third-round submission

Jordan Mein vs. Emil Meek

Jordan Mein is also returning to the Octagon after a short hiatus to take on UFC newcomer Emil Meek. Mein has exceptional hands and at just 25 years old, has 19 first-round finishes in 29 professional wins. He’d be wise not to try to do too much in his return as his opponent is an aggressive fighter with big power in his hands. But if Mein fights smart, he should be able to come away with the win.

Prediction: Jordan Mein by second-round TKO

Tokens
UFC 206 predictions: 'Holloway vs Pettis' Fight Pass 'Prelims' undercard preview, Pt. 1
from Patrick L. Stumberg - MMA Mania

155 lbs.: Lando Vannata vs. John Makdessi

Few gave Lando Vannata (8-1) any shot when he stepped up on short notice to face Tony Ferguson, least of all the oddsmakers who made him a +475 underdog. To everyone’s surprise, "Groovy" gave "El Cucuy" the fight of his life and --despite ultimately losing via submission -- hurt him worse than anyone before in UFC to date.

He has submitted four professional opponents and knocked out another three.

John Makdessi (14-5), stepping into the Octagon for the thirteenth time this weekend, continues to find himself in controversial decisions. He suffered a questionable split decision loss to Yancy Medeiros in Dec. 2014 and, most recently, scraped past The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) veteran Mehdi Baghdad in July.

Nine of his wins, including two of his last three, have come by form of knockout.

Even being careful not to overvalue Vannata’s performance against Ferguson, it’s hard not to pick him here. Makdessi continues to lack urgency in his striking despite it biting him in the rear multiple times. Against Vannata, whose slick head movement precludes serious damage and whose quality boxing can inflict the same in return, that’s just not an issue he can afford to have.

Vannata ought to have the wrestling edge and I just don’t have any faith that Makdessi will throw enough to keep him honest. Vannata uses volume and pressure to take a striking-heavy decision.

Prediction: Vannata via unanimous decision

155 lbs.: Rustam Khabilov vs. Jason Saggo

Once on the cusp of Lightweight contendership, Rustam Khabilov (20-3) has had to claw his way back up after consecutive losses to Benson Henderson and Adriano Martins. He has spent 2016 overpowering his fellow grapplers, defeating Norman Parke, Chris Wade and Leandro Silva by decision.

He will give up three inches of height to the 5’11" Jason Saggo (12-2).

Saggo ran roughshod over Josh Shockley in his Octagon debut before losing a split decision to Paul Felder his next time out. Missing all of 2015 with a torn ACL, he returned to the cage in March and picked up wins over Justin Salas and Leandro Silva.

Eight of his 11 finishes have come by submission, seven by form of choke.

I’m not exactly sure why they keep putting Khabilov against grapplers whom he can beat but not look good against. Aside from being more active in his pursuit of submissions and ground-and-pound, Saggo really presents no issues that Khabilov didn’t already overcome in his last three fights. My major hope is that Khabilov can regain some of the confidence in his striking he had before the Henderson loss.

Even if he remains tentative, however, his wrestling is more than enough to carry him to another victory.

Prediction: Khabilov via unanimous decision

125 lbs.: Zach Makovsky vs. Dustin Ortiz

Once Bellator MMA’s Bantamweight champion, Zach Makovsky (19-7) made the drop to 125 pounds and quickly won four straight, including two in UFC. He is 1-3 since, defeating Tim Elliott but losing decisions to division standouts Jussier "Formiga", John Dodson and Joseph Benavidez.

He is an inch shorter than Dustin Ortiz (15-6) at 5’4."

Ortiz opened his UFC career 3-1, defeating top prospects Ray Borg and Justin Scoggins in the process. He is likewise on a 1-3 stretch at the moment, including losses to the aforementioned "Formiga" and Benavidez.

He replaces the injured John Moraga on one month’s notice.

Both of these guys are significantly better than their UFC records suggest. Indeed, the opponents I mentioned above are all Top 5-ranked talent at Flyweight and the worst ZUFFA loss between them is probably Ortiz’s questionable decision loss to John Moraga, who is himself a former title challenger.

The key factor that has me picking Makovsky is the fact that Wilson Reis gave Ortiz the exact kind of scramble-heavy battle he thrives in and dominated him anyway. Makovsky’s issues stem from his lack of stopping power on the feet --against someone who will engage him on the mat, his technical prowess shines. Expect a fun, competitive ground battle that sees Makovsky take enough dominant positions to earn the win.

Prediction: Makovsky via unanimous decision

Tokens
UFC 206 predictions: 'Holloway vs Pettis' FOX Sports 1 'Prelims' undercard preview, Pt. 2
from Patrick L. Stumberg - MMA Mania

155 lbs.: Drew Dober (17-7) vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier (8-2)

Since going 1-3, 1 NC in his first five UFC bouts, Dober has rattled off impressive wins over Scott Holtzman and Jason Gonzalez. The former was an upset of a previously undefeated fighter, while the latter saw him knock Gonzalez cold with a brutal flurry. At 5’8", he is an inch shorter than Aubin-Mercier.

Quebec’s Aubin-Mercier fell short against Chad Laprise on the Ultimate Fighter: Nations finale, but showed off his skills with three straight wins. A loss to Carlos Diego Ferreira halted his momentum, although he choked out Thibault Gouti to recuperate in June. Seven of his eight wins have come by submission, six of them by rear-naked choke.

This is a pretty good fight, all things considered. Dober has the solid wrestling and technical striking that Aubin-Mercier needs to prove he can deal with. Luckily for "OAM," Dober isn’t generally a great finisher and lacks the toolset to properly punish Aubin-Mercier’s relentless pursuit of the clinch.

"The Quebec Kid" may not wind up completing as many takedowns as he’d like, but as against Tony Sims, he’ll spend enough time frustrating Dober against the fence and dragging him into awkward positions to take the decision.

Prediction: Aubin-Mercier via unanimous decision

115 lbs.: Valerie Letourneau (8-5) vs. Viviane Pereira (12-0)

"Trouble" didn’t make it through the elimination round on The Ultimate Fighter 18, but fought her way to a title shot with three consecutive UFC victories. After falling short against Joanna Jedrzejczyk, she faced Joanne Calderwood at flyweight and suffered her first (T)KO loss since 2007. Half of her wins have come by form of knockout.

"Sucuri" has dominated the Brazilian scene since her 2012 debut, winning fights from strawweight to bantamweight and earning titles in two different weight classes. When former victim and current flyweight standout Poliana Botelho was forced out due to injury, Pereira stepped in on around six weeks’ notice. She will give up an impressive seven inches of height to Létourneau.

There’s a lot to like about Pereira’s style; she’s an aggressive striker with real power in her hands and a quality ground game to back it up. She could be a player at 115, but she’ll have to overcome an unsuccessful debut to do so.

Why? Seven-inch height disadvantage.

Létourneau is a very skilled boxer with the technique and power to make brutal use of that diference. Unless the Calderwood loss wrecked her confidence, she ought to be able to pick Peteira apart at range and avoid most of the return fire. She takes a decision win behind quality power punches and distance management.

Prediction: Letourneau by unanimous decision

205 lbs.: Misha Cirkunov (12-2) vs. Nikita Krylov (21-4)

Xtreme Couture’s Cirkunov has not tasted defeat since 2012, stopping his last seven opponents. He is 3-0 in the UFC itself with dominant victories over Daniel Jolly, Alex Nicholson, and Ion Cutelaba. Six of his ten finishes have come by submission.

Once seemingly a novelty, Krylov has rebounded from a 1-2 start to his UFC career to become an unexpected contender. He has won five straight since losing to Ovince St. Preux, all by stoppage within two rounds, and most recently head kicked Ed Herman to score one of the year’s better knockouts. He has never gone the distance as a pro, submitting thirteen.

I generally can’t pick Krylov’s fights to save my life, so I’ll fully accept whatever egg hits my face when I pick against him again. Cirkunov is a legitimate blue-chip prospect who not only has a sizable wrestling edge, but already showed his ability to defuse aggressive swarmers in one-sided wins over Nicholson and Cutelaba.

Though Krylov has upside for days, Cirkunov is the sort of patient and crafty grappler that can mercilessly exploit "The Miner’s" technical lapses. Cirkunov earns his fourth UFC victory, surviving the early rush and ultimately wearing Krylov down for the finish.

Prediction: Cirkunov via second-round submission

135 lbs.: Mitch Gagnon (12-3) vs. Matthew Lopez (8-1)

Though Gagnon lost his UFC debut to Bryan Caraway, he walked away with a Fight of the Night bonus and followed that up with four straight wins, three of them by first-round submission. He then fought Renan Barão in the latter’s first fight since losing the title, fighting well but ultimately running out of steam and getting submitted. This will be his first fight since losing to Barao in 2014.

Lopez’s powerful wrestling and grappling skills carried him to seven first-round finishes in his first eight bouts, five of them under the RFA banner. The final win caught Dana White’s eye and sent him to the UFC, where he succumbed to Rani Yahya’s legendary submission prowess. He has four wins by submission, one of them was to strikes.

This looks like it’ll be a lot of fun. Gagnon’s incredibly aggressive on both the feet and the mat, while Lopez is more than happy to oblige in scrambles. I’d ordinarily be hesitant due to Gagnon’s cardio issues, but Lopez slowed down as well against Yahya, likely due to the frenetic pace he pushes.

Lopez is in an odd position wherein he needs that kind of pace to keep up with Gagnon; neither can maintain it, but I’m not sure Lopez can stay competitive at a lower one without getting finished. Gagnon’s experience and physical strength carry him through as he snags a guillotine during a particularly wild scramble.

Prediction: Gagnon by first-round submission

Tokens
Toe-to-Toe: UFC 206 Preview and Predictions

Combat Press writers Chris Huntemann and Vince Carey preview the card in this edition of Toe-to-Toe.

Max Holloway finally gets his shot at a UFC title. However, it’s an interim belt and Holloway is pitted against former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis. Neither man has ever locked horns with recently re-coronated kingpin José Aldo. Which man poses the biggest threat to Aldo, and will that same fighter emerge with the strap once the dust settles on this main event?

Huntemann: The ugly truth is, this fight between Holloway and Pettis is to determine the third-best fighter in the UFC’s featherweight division. Even if he is no longer the featherweight champion, Conor McGregor is still the best fighter in the UFC at 145 pounds. Yes, MMA fans. UFC 194 did happen, and McGregor did knock out Aldo in 13 seconds. Aldo is the second-best fighter in the division, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But being given the undisputed featherweight title doesn’t change that fact, either.

Now that I’ve stepped off my little soapbox, let me actually answer this question. Right now, I think Holloway represents the biggest threat to Aldo. Pettis made the smart move by dropping down to 145 pounds, as he was just too lost in the logjam that is the UFC lightweight division. Pettis looked impressive in his featherweight debut against Charles Oliveira, even if he did appear to gas before he choked out Oliveira. I thought a Pettis/McGregor bout would have been awesome, and I was disappointed that Pettis didn’t call out McGregor after his victory. That could have been a fresh and intriguing match-up that might have convinced McGregor to defend the featherweight title one more time.

But Holloway is on an absolute tear right now, having won nine in a row. He’s gotten better with each fight since his loss to — ironically enough — the aforementioned McGregor in 2013. That was the first time McGregor had been taken the distance until his rematch with Nate Diaz in August. Holloway is one of the best strikers in all of the UFC and is always looking to finish. Even if his last two victories came via decision, he left no doubt who the more active fighter was in those fights.

Pettis will be a great addition to the featherweight division, but this is just a case of bad timing. Pettis is facing someone who’s at the top of his game right now. If Pettis were facing, say, a Ricardo Lamas or Cub Swanson, I would like his chances more. But Holloway is a man on a mission. I think he defeats Pettis for the interim belt and has a real chance of dethroning a fighter in Aldo who looked a little different against Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 than he did before his loss to McGregor.

Carey: Since my colleague got to jump on a soapbox, I’m going to go on a rant of my own.

I’m flabbergasted by the fact that this is an interim title fight. I get that once the promotion lost Cormier and Rumble, it lost the only championship bout on the card, but stripping McGregor of one belt, promoting Aldo’s interim status and then making an interim title fight makes absolutely no sense. I know that we’ve seen this same sort of ridiculousness from the UFC before, but this is one of the more glaringly unnecessary title fights in a long time. It drives me absolutely insane.

Once I put that complaint aside, however, this is one of those fights that makes me start pacing around my house with anticipation 12 hours before the event starts. Holloway is a guy we’ve seen grow up in the Octagon. From his first UFC fight at just 20 years old against Dustin Poirier, it was obvious the young Hawaiian had gobs of potential. Over the last five years, it’s been really cool to watch Holloway improve and become one of the best fighters in the world. At this point, not only is Holloway a huge threat to Aldo’s belt, but he is by far the biggest threat in the division. I’d be shocked if he never held UFC gold.

While Holloway is a fantastic striker who has beaten some good ones, Pettis is going to be the best stand-up fighter Holloway has fought outside of maybe the aforementioned McGregor. “Showtime” gets attention for his highlight-reel finishes, but he’s actually a very technical striker and one of the more lethal guys in the lower weight classes of the UFC. Holloway is going to have to be very careful early on. In fact, if I thought Pettis could keep up with Holloway’s pace for five round, then I’d have a much harder time picking this fight. However, as my colleague mentioned, Pettis ran out of gas a bit in his 145-pound debut. That scares me in a fight of this magnitude.

Pettis is going to be a top-tier guy at featherweight, and a Pettis/Aldo fight is almost bound to happen. It just isn’t going to happen directly after this weekend. Holloway is on his way to a UFC title, and he gets his first taste of (unnecessary) gold with a huge win in his first pay-per-view main event.

In addition to Pettis and Holloway in the evening’s headliner, this card also features showdowns between Donald Cerrone and Matt Brown, Cub Swanson and Doo Ho Choi, and Tim Kennedy and Kelvin Gastelum. Is this card wildly overlooked as an “Event of the Year” contender?

Carey: There have been a couple of fight cards this year, most notably UFC 200 and UFC 205, that have been so stacked from top to bottom that it’s going to be tough for any card to compete with them. “Event of the Year”? We’d have to see some epic finishes throughout the card and a “Fight of the Year” contender in the main event. That’s tough, but not impossible to imagine with the amount of entertaining fights in the UFC Fight Night 102 lineup. Regardless, this main card has the potential to be special, and that’s even with the loss of the awesome Cormier/Rumble fight.

I’ve already expressed my excitement for the main event, and the rest of this card just screams entertainment and violence. The moment Cerrone moved up to welterweight, Brown came to mind as one of the most fun opponents imaginable. The co-main event promises to be either a hell of a scrap or deliver a highlight-reel finish.

Choi is one of the most talented prospects and under-the-radar fighters on the roster — unless you play the UFC 2 video game, in which case it’s a well-known fact that Choi is amazing — and he’s taking on Cub Swanson, one of the better featherweights in the world.

I also love the matchmaking by the UFC to put Kennedy and Gastelum together after mishaps forced both men off the UFC 205 card last month. Kennedy was just unlucky — his fight with Rashad Evans was scrapped right before fight night — and Gastelum was yanked from his bout against Cerrone due to his weight-cutting mistakes, a repetitive problem that’s forced him up to middleweight for the second time in his UFC tenure. Both guys needed to get back into the cage as soon as possible. This was a great way to get it done.

Throw in Jordan Mein returning from his almost two-year retirement to take on Emil Weber Meek, who shocked everyone by knocking out UFC and World Series of Fighting veteran Rousimar Palhares earlier this year, and this main card is on par with just about anything the promotion has offered this year, though it still does lack a bit in star power compared to some of the other events.

Huntemann: I think “Event of the Year” is a bit of a stretch. Can this be labeled a supremely underrated card that could exceed expectations, à la UFC 204 in October? Sure. But, as my colleague said, other fight cards this year have been absolutely stacked, most notably last month’s UFC 205, a card that will not be topped by UFC 206 or any other one that takes place this year.

There are plenty of interesting match-ups on this card that bear watching, though. Despite all of the drama surrounding the main event that engulfed two weight divisions, Pettis/Holloway is still a damn good match-up. Cerrone/Brown is basically guaranteed to result in a finish and is extremely like to feature a highlight-reel knockout. There is a ton of buzz surrounding Choi, and he has a great match-up against Swanson, who lives to entertain.

There are also a batch of additional talented fighters from top to bottom on this card, including the aforementioned Gastelum, Nikita Krylov, Olivier Aubin-Mercier and Drew Dober. If you’re disappointed that we’re not getting Cormer/Rumble 2, or you’re disappointed that the featherweight division has become such a clusterfuck, I think your grievances can be eased by this card. UFC 206 may not go down as the best fight card of 2016, but it offers more than enough to be considered a damn entertaining event in its own right.

Donald Cerrone has a perfect 3-0 record with three “Performance of the Night” awards since moving up to the welterweight division, and there’s no denying that “Cowboy’s” popularity will put him in the title mix if he gets another win or two. Is Matt Brown the man to shut down Cerrone at 170 pounds? If not Brown, then whom?

Huntemann: Look, I appreciate a good striker as much as the next bloke. And I enjoy a good ol’ fashioned, bloody brawl as much as the next guy, too. But facts are facts, and the truth is, Brown has become the definition of a journeyman fighter, both in his overall record and in his recent performances.

When he faced Robbie Lawler in 2014 with a title shot on the line, Brown was thoroughly outstruck and outperformed. All the momentum he built through his six-fight winning streak leading up to that fight completely evaporated. Since his loss to Lawler, Brown is 1-3 with his only victory coming over fellow journeyman Tim Means. He was beaten by a fighter in Johny Hendricks who all of the sudden can’t make 170 pounds, and Brown was choked out by arguably the No. 1 welterweight contender, Demian Maia. Brown was also knocked out in the first round in his last fight against Jake Ellenberger.

So, what I’m saying is, I don’t think Brown is beating Cerrone. Will he and “Cowboy” deliver an entertaining fight? Most likely. Will they both basically just say “screw it” and swing for the fences for 15 minutes? Probably. But is Brown going to beat Cerrone? No. So who can derail Cerrone’s recent resurgence at 170 pounds? The answer’s easy: Cerrone himself.

Cerrone looked unstoppable leading up to his lightweight title fight against Rafael dos Anjos last year, and many people, myself included, picked Cerrone to finally claim gold. He was then knocked out in just over a minute and admitted after the fight that he had trouble getting into gear against dos Anjos.

If you can’t find motivation to perform at your best for a title, then when can you? Everyone loves Cerrone for being a wild man who plays by his own rules, but if he wants to be the best in the world, then he needs to do a better job conducting himself as such. MMA is a 24/7/365 job for those who want to be a champion and commit themselves to being the best in the world. If Cerrone wants to join the club, he needs to do a better job of “getting into gear” when it matters the most.

Carey: I didn’t even think about it until Mr. Huntemann brought it up, but he’s absolutely right. The biggest obstacle Cerrone is going to have to overcome is himself. On multiple occasions, Cerrone has put together the winning streak needed to either actually get a title shot or at least earn a No. 1 contender bout. Each time, “Cowboy” has looked like a shell of his usual self. Whether it was laying an egg for three rounds against Nate Diaz or getting demolished by Anthony Pettis and the aforementioned dos Anjos in high-profile matchups, Cerrone has never been able to get his head on straight in a major bout. He’s going to have to show the world he can win a big one before the MMA community believes in him again.

That’s the bad news for Cerrone. The good news is, this weekend’s fight against Brown isn’t for a title shot. It’s not even a fight that’s going to push “Cowboy” deeper into the mix. This is a fight for the fans. Nothing more, nothing less. At most, it provides a chance for Cerrone to add another win to his resume and another highlight to his reel. That’s pretty much exactly what I’m expecting Cerrone to do, but it’s almost guaranteed to be a ridiculous amount of fun before that happens.

Brown is as tough as they come. He had one of the most impressive career resurgences in UFC history a few years ago, but the “Immortal” has quietly reverted back to gatekeeper status over the course of his last few bouts. While he’s definitely a better fighter than his 20-15 record suggests, the competition isn’t getting any easier. After Brown suffered his first career loss by knockout in his previous bout, it’s warranted to wonder whether Brown’s habit of getting into wars has caught up with his chin as well.

Brown’s potentially fading chin is what makes this fight one of the easier ones to predict. Brown is tough as nails and nearly impossible to put away with strikes. Against someone like Cerrone, who thrives once he has an opponent in trouble and especially in scrambles, things get sketchy. It’s very easy to envision Brown getting dropped or rocked with a shot, and if he leaves his neck out there in the slightest, he’s going to get tapped out.

What does the future hold for Tim Kennedy and Kelvin Gastelum? Kennedy has been one of the most outspoken critics of the UFC’s Reebok deal and is a founding member of the recently announced Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association. Are we sure he even wants to keep fighting? Gastelum is probably one more missed weight cut away from a UFC pink slip. Does the winner of this fight even go anywhere in his UFC career?

Carey: One of the reasons I liked this fight so much when it was announced was because both Kennedy and Gastelum are in a transitional period in their careers. While both guys are high-caliber fighters, there’s also a decent chance they could be gone from the UFC roster in the near future.

Even though we’ve seen a ton of Kennedy lately after his UFC 205 bout twas canceled and the MMAAA was announced, the man hasn’t fought in over two years. He didn’t really seem all that interested to get back into the cage until a few months ago, either. Kennedy, 37, is likely getting close to hanging up his gloves for good, and I’m honestly not sure if he would be fighting again if the perfect situation would have come together for UFC 205. He was offered a fight in the UFC’s debut in New York against a marquee name like Rashad Evans. That is almost too good to be true for a fighter that hasn’t competed in so long, and the fact that the middleweight champion, Michael Bisping, is a guy that Kennedy has already beaten only made for additional persuasion for Kennedy’s return to action.

I’ll admit that Kennedy’s return makes sense, but I don’t see him sticking around for long. Gastelum is going to be a tough match-up. He could easily send Kennedy back home with a loss. Even if Kennedy wins this weekend, it’s hard to imagine him making a real title push in the crowded 185-pound title scene. It’s good to have a guy like Kennedy back, but I’m not expecting anything other than another fun fight or two out of the veteran.

I am expecting quite a bit out of Gastelum from this point on, however. Now that his weight-cutting problems have forced him up to middleweight for the second time, the former The Ultimate Fighter winner is probably out of chances with the UFC brass. The only thing holding Gastelum back in his career thus far has been Gastelum himself, and now that it seems like the UFC brass is going to force the 25-year-old to stay at middleweight, it’s time to see him try to make a legitimate run.

The 185-pound weight class is hard to navigate right now. It’s absolutely stacked in the top 10. However, if Gastelum were to beat a guy like Kennedy, it would be the kind of statement that should push him into one of those top spots.

I really like the talent Gastelum possesses, and I’d like to see him get his shit together and become the top-level fighter he should be. I’m picking him this weekend, and I’ve still got a bit of faith that he can make something of his UFC career in the future. The middleweight division is Gastelum’s home now, and it’s going to be a good one for him.

Huntemann: Indeed, Gastelum is a talented fighter who just needs to “get his shit together.” Why he insists on continuing to fight at welterweight, when he’s made it clear he cannot make that weight limit, boggles the mind. The middleweight division should be Gastelum’s home from now on if he wants to remain employed by the UFC.

This could be an interesting fight, but I don’t see the victor making any big headways in the grand scheme of things. It wouldn’t surprise me if Kennedy walks away after this fight, win or lose. He’s made several opportunities for himself outside of MMA that probably pay better than fighting does. I’m sure he’s still sticking to his anti-Reebok stance as well, and since he helped start the MMAAA and wasn’t on great terms with the UFC to start with, I just don’t see much upside for Kennedy with this fight — besides collecting a paycheck, of course.

If Gastelum wins, and especially if he gets a finish, I can see him becoming a player in the middleweight division, should he stay there. He’s still young, and he is talented and more dangerous than he may get credit for. This is an intriguing match-up between two guys who are probably aren’t the favorite sons of the UFC brass. I’m sure the winner would move up the middleweight ranks and better position himself for a title run. But especially in Kennedy’s case, will he think it’s really worth it?

Which fight is the sleeper match-up on this card?

Huntemann: I have high hopes for the bout between Olivier Aubin-Mercier and Drew Dober.

Aubin-Mercier has won four of five since losing in the finals of The Ultimate Fighter Nations: Australia vs. Canada. He is deadly on the ground, with seven submissions out of his eight total victories. Meanwhile, Dober is 3-1-1 in his last five, including a first-round knockout in his last fight and a submission victory against the always-tough Jamie Varner.

The winner of this fight could be knocking on the door of the top 15 at lightweight, the UFC’s deepest division. Now is the time for both of these guys to make a statement. They should feel like they have something to prove, which could make for an entertaining bout.

Carey: I’ve probably watched Lando Vannata’s war with Tony Ferguson once a month since it happened in July. After putting on one of the more memorable debuts in recent memory, the Jackson-Wink product steps into the Octagon again, and I’m excited to watch him perform.

Vannata took his 8-0 record into the Ferguson fight on extremely short notice and ended up almost finishing one of the five best lightweights on the planet on multiple occasions. That’s a way to make a name for himself, but now he has to prove it wasn’t just a fluke. John Makdessi is a really good match-up for him, too.

This fight is going to be a ton of fun.

Huntemann’s Picks

Holloway
Cerrone
Choi
Gastelum
Mein
Krylov
Aubin-Mercier
Pereira
Lopez
Vannata
Khabilov
Makovsky

Carey’s Picks

Holloway
Cerrone
Choi
Gastelum
Mein
Krylov
Aubin-Mercier
Letourneau
Gagnon
Vannata
Khabilov
Makovsky

Tokens
Predictions for UFC 206
from The MMA Way

Mark's Picks

Holloway TKO Round 3
Cerrone SUB Round 2
Kennedy DEC
Swanson DEC
Krylov TKO Round 1
Makovsky DEC
Letourneau DEC
Mein DEC
Makdessi DEC
Khabilov SUB Round 2
Aubin-Mercier DEC
Gagnon DEC

James' Picks

Holloway DEC
Cerrone TKO Round 2
Gastelum DEC
Ho Choi DEC
Krylov SUB Round 3
Makovsky DEC
Letourneau DEC
Mein TKO Round 2
Makdessi DEC
Khabilov DEC
Aubin-Mercier SUB Round 2
Gagnon DEC

Tokens
UFC 206
from Cage Rank

Pettis BY Submission ROUND 2

Cerrone BY Submission ROUND 3

Swanson BY KO ROUND 3

Kennedy BY Submission ROUND 2

Mein BY KO ROUND 2

Makovsky BY Decision

Pereira BY Decision

Cirkunov BY Submission ROUND 3

Makdessi BY KO ROUND 3

Khabilov BY Decision

Dober BY Submission ROUND 3

Gagnon BY Submission ROUND 1

Tokens
UFC 206: Holloway vs. Pettis Fantasy Cheat Sheet
from Damon Martin - UFC.com

SPLIT DECISION

These are the fights that are just too close to call, but a few minor differences between favorite and underdog could lead one fighter to victory and the other to defeat.

Max Holloway vs. Anthony Pettis

The interim featherweight title is on the line, with the winner in the main event moving on to face Jose Aldo in 2017. For Holloway, this was always the end goal after putting together an incredibly impressive nine-fight win streak while going through a slew of top featherweights, including Cub Swanson and Ricardo Lamas. Pettis doesn't have nearly as much experience at 145 pounds, but as a former lightweight champion, he's fought the best of the best throughout his UFC career.

As far as the matchup goes, Holloway will actually give up a slight reach advantage to Pettis in this fight, which is unusual for the Hawaiian, who is one of the taller fighters in the division. Still, it's impossible to discount the kind of incredible pressure Holloway puts on all of his opponents with volume striking and long, rangy punches from the outside. Holloway lands nearly six significant strikes per minute with good accuracy while also showcasing very good defense on the feet.

Of course, Pettis is best known for aflashy striking style that gained him a reputation as one of the deadliest kickboxers in the business. Pettis isn't typically the kind of fighter to snap off three and four hit combinations, but instead he'll mix things up and throw an unorthodox slew of strikes that do maximum damage from distance. Pettis has also proven time and time again that his ground game may be underrated, but it's extremely dangerous. He's often called a striker, but there's no way to ignore that Pettis has finished a ton of great fighters by submission.

The way this fight plays out depends on a couple of key factors.

First off, Pettis didn't have a great weight cut getting down to 145 pounds his last time out and that could be crucial in a five-round bout like this one. Pettis can't blow through his gas tank in the first or second round and expect to still get a win late in the fight. As for Holloway, he just needs to stick to what got him here in the first place. Holloway is a punishing striker who typically outworks his opponents round after round until he either lands the knockout strike or racks up more than enough damage to win a decision. Holloway has also only been finished once in his entire career and that came by submission in his UFC debut against Dustin Poirier.

Outside of that, Holloway is a very durable fighter and that does not bode well for Pettis if this fight goes deep into the third round and beyond. With each minute that ticks away, Holloway will get stronger and it's just too hard to predict that Pettis will have what it takes to survive deep into the fight after only his second weight cut to get down to the featherweight limit.

Prediction: Max Holloway by unanimous decision

Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone vs. Matt Brown

The co-main event in Toronto features two of the most exciting fighters to ever step foot in the Octagon. Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone has looked absolutely dominant since moving to 170 pounds, but he'll face a very tough test in Ohio native Matt Brown this weekend.

At welterweight, Cerrone has been the aggressor in all of his fights, choosing to take the center of the Octagon and then stalking his opposition around the cage. Cerrone has a tendency to leave his guard down at times, which could hurt him in a fight like this, but his ability to walk Brown down will be a key to victory for him on Saturday night.

As for Brown, he's suffered through a tough stretch recently while amassing just a 1-4 record over his last five fights. That being said, Brown has a style that could give Cerrone problems based on past matchups where he's come away with a loss.

Cerrone has struggled at times with fighters who are willing to get in his face and force him to back up. Two key examples are his losses to Nate Diaz and Rafael dos Anjos when both of them engaged in an offensive outpouring early and never allowed Cerrone to find his rhythm. Brown is best known for his hard charging offense, where he loves to batter opponents with punches and elbows, especially from the inside, and that's the last place Cerrone wants to get trapped in this fight.

If Brown can force Cerrone to fight him in the clinch while negating his strikes from the outside, he should eventually find an opening to pepper away at the former lightweight contender with punches and elbows. Brown isn't a one-punch knockout striker but he's able to deliver so much punishment over the course of three rounds that it's hard for anybody to hang with him once he finds an opening and starts pouring it on.

Prediction: Matt Brown by TKO, Round 2

Cub Swanson vs. Dooho Choi

If you're looking for an early pick for Fight of the Night, it's hard to imagine Cub Swanson and Dooho Choi being anything less than an action packed thrill ride, whether it lasts one round or 15 minutes.

Swanson has consistently been one of the nastiest strikers the featherweight division has ever seen, but Choi is making quite a name for himself since arriving in the UFC. Choi lands over seven significant strikes per minute with a ridiculous 66 percent accuracy rate. Choi is explosive, but also precise with his attacks. Rarely does he unleash a wild combination without actually landing with surgical strikes. Another great attribute for Choi is that despite his offensive minded output, he's also very adept at playing defense as well, and he rarely takes much damage in return.

Much of the same can be said about Swanson, who definitely has more experience in the Octagon against a much higher level of competition than his opponent. Swanson has faced the best of the best at 145 pounds and has remained a top 10 fighter for almost his entire career in both the UFC and WEC. Swanson may be able to match Choi on the feet, but he will definitely have an advantage on the mat, where he possesses some slick submission skills and very underrated wrestling.

For Swanson to win this fight, he has to be willing to mix things up and not fall in love with his kickboxing. Swanson could absolutely find an opening to knock Choi out, but simply sitting in the pocket and winging punches with "The Korean Super Boy" is like playing with dynamite. Choi hits like a truck and has hellish power in his hands and feet.

This matchup might be the toughest on the entire card to pick, but a very slight edge remains in Choi's favor given Swanson's tendency to play to his opponents' strengths more often than not. Swanson fights with a chip on his shoulder and if he's willing to play the kickboxing game with Choi, he's bound to find out just how hard this up and coming Korean superstar really hits.

Prediction: Dooho Choi by TKO, Round 2

KNOCKOUT PICKS

These are the fights that appear to be a little more one-sided, but remember that this is MMA, where anything can - and usually does - happen.

Tim Kennedy vs. Kelvin Gastelum

Following a two-year absence from the sport, Tim Kennedy will make his long awaited return when he faces former Ultimate Fighter winner Kelvin Gastelum.

When he exited the UFC in 2014, Kennedy was ranked as one of the best middleweights in the world and it's likely he hasn't skipped a step in his absence. Kennedy is a monster in the gym who was already prepared for a fight at UFC 205 against Rashad Evans until Evans was forced off the card just days before the show took place. Kennedy is an extremely well rounded fighter with powerful hands and a top notch wrestling game, as showcased in his lopsided decision win over current middleweight champion Michael Bisping.

Gastelum is certainly no slouch at 185 pounds, especially considering his wins over Uriah Hall and Nate Marquardt. That being said, Gastelum is moving to middleweight after a failed weight cut to get down to 170 pounds, so it's not like he's had a full training camp to adapt his body to packing on the extra size for this fight. Gastelum is certainly capable of putting together the kind of offense with his boxing and wrestling that could give Kennedy problems. It's just hard to anticipate that happening while Gastelum is going up against one of the best middleweights in the world.

Look for Kennedy to come out and put the pressure on Gastelum early and often. Whether he decides to out strike or out wrestle Gastelum in this one, it's hard to see any other outcome than Kennedy getting the win at UFC 205.

Prediction: Tim Kennedy by TKO, Round 3

Valerie Letourneau vs. Viviane Pereira

Following a pair of losses to Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Joanne Calderwood, Valerie Letourneau makes her return to action against newcomer Viviane Pereira.

Pereira comes to the UFC with a perfect 11-0 record while fighting out of Brazil. Throughout her career, Pereira has picked up a lot of impressive wins, with a mix of knockouts and submissions. While Pereira has managed to stay undefeated, she hasn't faced much competition except for a slew of local fighters while competing in Brazil.

She's taking a big step up by facing Letourneau in her debut.

Letourneau may have lost a couple fights in a row, but she still remains one of the best strawweight fighters on the roster. Letourneau is an extremely scrappy fighter with good power in her hands and a lot of size for 115 pounds. That size has hurt Letourneau a bit in the past considering how much weight she cuts to get down to the strawweight limit, but assuming she's got that under control for this fight, she can virtually pick her shots against Pereira.

If Letourneau can take advantage of Pereira's Octagon jitters early, the former title contender should find an opening for her punches and potentially get a finish. If the knockout doesn’t come early, expect Letourneau to out strike Pereira round after round until she gets the unanimous decision win.

Prediction: Valerie Letourneau by unanimous decision

Zach Makovsky vs. Dustin Ortiz

Since arriving in the UFC, Zach Makovsky has faced nothing but the best flyweights in the world, and while he's suffered a few losses, not a single of one of those bouts has ended without a serious battle. Makovsky is a difficult stylistic matchup for almost everyone at 135 pounds thanks to a powerful wrestling game and incredible top control.

Ortiz certainly has shown flashes of brilliance throughout his UFC career, but he still hasn't managed to figure out the rhythm or strategy that will allow him to truly dominate an opponent. Ortiz has fought to six decisions in the UFC, and while he's found a way to get wins in a few of them, that doesn't bode well for him against somebody like Makovsky.

Makovsky averages nearly four takedowns per fight, and his ability to control Ortiz on the ground should be the difference in this matchup. It's a frustrating style that Makovsky presents, and his ability to plant Ortiz on the ground and keep him there will rack up a lot of points on the judges' scorecards. Those takedowns can also serve as a debilitating form of offense that could absolutely bewilder Ortiz if he can't keep from being taken to the mat. Considering Makovsky has employed that strategy numerous times throughout his career, there's no reason to believe he won't do it again to get a win over Ortiz.

Prediction: Zach Makovsky by unanimous decision

UPSET SPECIAL

Misha Cirkunov vs. Nikita Krylov

The light heavyweight division is in desperate need of a new contender, and the winner of this fight between Nikita Krylov and Misha Cirkunov might just provide a serious challenger to the top five fighters in the rankings.

Krylov has become a fan favorite with a blitzing style of offense where he lands nearly seven strikes per minute while also attempting more than two submissions per fight, which is double the average in the UFC. Krylov is a nasty finisher as well, with two knockouts and three submissions during his current five fight win streak.

Where Cirkunov can take advantage is by dragging Krylov to the ground and applying a technically sound strategy to negate his opponent's wild offense. Cirkunov is a highly accomplished judoka with a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu as well, so he's got plenty of ground skills to frustrate and potentially finish Krylov if he gets too sloppy on the mat. Krylov loves to take chances and that can pay off in a big way - but it could also hurt him against someone as dangerous as Cirkunov.

If Krylov can't find an opening to put this fight away in the opening round, look for Cirkunov to take him on the mat and pepper him with punches until he locks on some sort of submission to get his fourth win in the UFC Octagon.

Prediction: Misha Cirkunov by submission, Round 2

Tokens
UFC 206
from Tapology

M. Holloway 76%

D. Cerrone 92%

D. Choi 69%

T. Kennedy 68%

J. Mein 76%

N. Krylov 71%

O. Aubin-Mercier 77%

V. Létourneau 85%

M. Gagnon 86%

L. Vannata 78%

R. Khabilov 94%

Z. Makovsky 84%

Tokens
Max Holloway (16-3)

Staple info:
•Height: 5’11” Age: 25 Weight: 145 lbs Reach: 69″
•Last Fight: Decision win / Ricardo Lamas (6-4-16)
•Camp: Hawaii Elite MMA (Waianae, HI)
•Stance/Striking Style: Switch-stance / Kickboxing
•Risk Management: Excellent

Supplemental info:
+ Regional MMA Titles
+ Blue Belt BJJ
+ 6 KO victories
+ 2 Submission wins
+ 3 first round finishes
+ Consistent pace & pressure
+ Manages distance well
+ Superb feints & footwork
^ Moves laterally / attacks off angles
+ Excellent shot selection & variety
+ Improved wrestling (82% TD defense)
+ Deceptively counter-clinches/grapples
^ Strikes well of the breaks
+ Underrated ground game
^ Dangerous submissions in transition

Anthony Pettis (19-5)

Staple info:
•Height: 5’9″ Age: 29 Weight: 145 lbs Reach: 72″
•Last Fight: Submission win / Charles Oliveira (8-27-16)
•Camp: Roufusport (Milwaukee, WI)
•Stance/Striking Style: Switch-stance / Kickboxing
•Risk Management: Fair

Supplemental info:
+ Former UFC Lightweight Champion
+ WEC Lightweight Title
+ 9 KO victories
+ 7 Submission wins
+ 12 first round finishes
+ KO power
+ Athletic & agile
+ Good footwork & feints
+ Improved boxing
^ Accurate counter cross
+ Diverse kicking game
^ Dangerous body attacks
+ Improved wrestling ability
+ Active from the bottom
^ Slick submission setups

Summary:

Serving as the newly minted main event for UFC 206, Max Holloway will take on Anthony Pettis for an interim featherweight title. With the UFC long having a holdup atop the featherweight division, the organization has seemingly stripped Conor McGregor of his belt, which will now go to Jose Aldo who awaits this fight’s winner. For Max Holloway, this is a chance to cement his status amongst the top of the division as he is riding the wave of a 9-fight winning streak. For Anthony Pettis, this is a chance to fast-track his goal of holding gold in two divisions as this will be the former champion’s second fight at 145-pounds.

As their on-paper stylings would suggest, I suspect the majority of this fight will be on the feet. Although both men are highly skilled strikers, I believe the former lightweight champ should have a slight edge within the kicking realm. Coming from a Tae Kwon Do base, Anthony Pettis has been able to bring in a spectacular array of kicking attacks into the cage. Balancing out his traditional stylings under the tutelage of Duke Roufus, we have seen Pettis round out his attacks with punches and feints to help set up his fight-ending kicks. As flashy as some of the kicks on his highlight reel may be, Anthony’s body kick is probably his best tool as he can unload them from either stance.

Although Anthony’s ability to read and react to his opposition is impressive, he will have all he can handle in trying to get a beat on the consistently moving Hawaiian. Showing solid striking and footwork fundamentals since coming onto the scene, we saw Max Holloway turn a corner in his Cub Swanson fight. Now demonstrating technical evolutions from fight-to-fight, Holloway is embracing his creativity and range in his movements and attacks. Subtly switching stances as he shifts laterally, Max will deceptively draw his opposition into reacting as he executes attacks that catch them off guard. Showing superb timing, Holloway will usually wait until his opposition is in mid-motion before attacking and angling off safely.

Despite Pettis being the more dangerous fighter at range, I feel that Holloway’s movement and ability to dictate distance may compromise the former champion’s shot selections. Max is also the more consistent striker both offensively and off of the counter as I see him having the advantage at boxing range. That said, the Hawaiian will need to mind the counter cross from Pettis, as that is his most accurate punch. Making measurable improvements to his boxing in the past few years, Anthony’s counter right-hand has been his most consistent weapon in both victory and defeat. Although Holloway is seldom caught clean or hurt, we saw him hit by hard counter crosses from Ricardo Lamas in his last bout as this may be worth looking out for in this fight.

Even though I do not see much of this match happening on the floor, I believe Anthony will be the man with more motive to take it there as he has the on-paper advantages. Long known for his attacks off of his back, Pettis has worked diligently on his wrestling with Izi Martinez in effort combat the top-pressure at the upper echelon of the sport. And though many may focus on Anthony’s shortcomings in said department, he has made measurable improvements to his overall wrestling fundamentals. In fact, the former champ has a decent reactive shot that may be worth watching for in this fight. That said, he will not have an easy time taking down Holloway as the Hawaiian has only been taken down 3-times in the past 3-years.

Considering how often the Hawaiian competes, that stat is especially impressive as Holloway only seems to get better from fight-to-fight. Not only does Max show the balance and defense to stuff takedowns, but he also shows an excellent awareness of how to conduct his hips and grips in close. Deceptively hand-fighting to counter clinches and grappling efforts, Holloway demonstrates a knack for striking off the break as this will be worth watching for in this fight. Pettis will also have to mind his behaviors off of failed shot attempts given what we saw in Max’s last time out. Having his takedown defense tested by one of the best grapplers in the division, Holloway would successfully thwart the shots of Lamas while re-wrestling his way to ride positions.

Where this road of potential possibilities begins to split for me is when looking at Pettis’ head movement. Although Anthony has made improvements in slipping at the end of combos, he still shows the defensive tendencies from his past. Coming from his aforementioned traditional martial arts base, Pettis tends to rely on his fleet-of-foot reactions and trunk movement to manage his defensive distancing. Against faster fighters like Rafael Dos Anjos or Edson Barboza, these tendencies translated into the former champion taking more shots than usual. Not only will Pettis have another fast-fighter on his hands in Holloway, but the Hawaiian is also longer with arguably better footwork as I see him dictating the terms of the action. Couple that with the accuracy of Max’s shot selection, and I ultimately see the Hawaiian stacking up the volume en route to a statement-making performance.

Official Mixed Martial Analyst Pick: Holloway – Decision

Tokens
Donald Cerrone (31-7)

Staple info:
•Height: 5’11” Age: 33 Weight: 170 lbs Reach: 73″
•Last Fight: TKO win / Rick Story (8-20-16)
•Camp: Jackson-Wink MMA (New Mexico)
•Stance/Striking Style: Orthodox / Muay Thai

Supplemental info:
+ Multiple Muay Thai Titles
+ 28-0 as a Pro Kickboxer
+ 7 KO victories
+ 16 Submission wins
+ 13 first round finishes
+ KO power
+ Intelligent strike setups
^ Feints, reads, and reacts
+ Devastating head kicks
+ Accurate & intercepting knees
+ Hard leg kicks
^ Most landed in UFC history
+ Underrated wrestling ability
+ Excellent transitional grappler
^ Favors triangle chokes
– Head & posture often upright
^ Overhand & body shot availabilities

Matt Brown (20-15)

Staple info:
•Height: 6’0″ Age: 35 Weight: 170 lbs Reach: 76″
•Last Fight: TKO loss / Jake Ellenberger (7-30-16)
•Camp: Elevation Fight Team (Denver, CO)
•Stance/Striking Style: Orthodox / Muay Thai

Supplemental info:
+ TUF 7 Alum
+ Regional MMA Title
+ 13 KO victories
+ 7 Submission wins
+ 8 first round finishes
+ Relentless pace & pressure
+ Strong volume & variety
+ Deceptive fight IQ
^ Creates & capitalizes on scrambles
+ Excellent clinch striker
^ Dangerous elbows
+ Improved wrestling
+ Active guard game
^ Sets up submissions & sweeps
+ Scrambles well
– Aggression allows for counters
^ Dropped/stunned in last 6/8 fights

Summary:

The co-main event in Toronto is a war of welterweight gunslingers as Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone takes on Matt “The Immortal” Brown. Originally scheduled to face Kelvin Gastelum at UFC 205, Cowboy Cerrone was unfortunately pulled off the legendary card when his opponent failed to make weight. Now drawing a big slot against a name opponent, Cowboy will seek to make a statement to the division’s top-5 with a win here. Coming off the first TKO loss of his career, Matt Brown will look to get back on the horse as he attempts to halt Cerrone’s rise.

In the striking department, both fighter’s skills point to a potential Muay Thai maelstrom. With each man having unique advantages over each other, Cowboy should have the edge when striking at distance. Embracing his frame and kickboxing base, Cerrone does an excellent job of using teeps and legs kicks at range. Mixing in punches appropriately, Cowboy will draw out his opposition’s defenses to set up fight-ending head kicks. When his opponent tries to close-in on Cerrone’s preferred range, Cowboy will intercept them with accurate check-knees up the middle.

Despite these techniques working well against lighter weight fighters, Donald would need to upgrade his game to counter the pressure from bigger, stronger welterweights, and he did just that. Enter Brandon Gibson, the quiet storm in the striking department at Jackson-Wink MMA, as his help has shown in this recent iteration of Cerrone. Moving his head and torso offline and at angles, Cowboy will unload his punches with different mechanics than before–as he now has more of a presence inside the pocket. Often punching his way out of exchanges with his left-hook, Cerrone will feed his newfound flow it into his patent head kicks as his arsenal is much more symbiotic.

Even though Donald is showing a solid technical-renaissance, he will still need to mind the areas that have traditionally plagued him. Despite Cowboy’s improvements to his head movement, he still tends to get upright as this will typically open him up to overhands and body shots. Although Brown lacks the liver kicks that have shown to stop Cowboy in the past, he does have a left hook that he likes to throw in succession as he variates it well to the body. Matt also has an overhand right worth watching for, as we have seen him blitz and dust his opposition in the opening stanzas.

Despite Brown’s power and technique not being amongst the divisions’ best, his ability to pressure is second to none as I see that being a key factor for him in this fight. Willing to walk through a wood chipper, I suspect Brown will not be waiting around for Cowboy to find his rhythm and test his combos. Not only that, but I also feel that Brown will have his biggest striking edge inside the clinch. Treating the clinch like a butcher shop, Brown will utilize all the angles on his elbows to slice away at any available pieces of flesh his opponent leaves open. Mixing in knees, punches, and slick trips, Brown to could turn the tide of this fight in his direction should Cowboy allow him to overstay his welcome.

Even though Cerrone’s clinch game does not have as much of an offensive presence, he does a deceptively good job of maintaining his base and stifling his opponent as he looks to strike off the breaks. Even if Brown is successful in grounding Cowboy, I do not think ground stanzas will last long as I see Cerrone having the advantage. Despite Brown’s multi-faceted ground game, his aggressive eagerness has often cost him dominant positions as well as submission losses. Against a submission specialist like Cerrone who makes his money in transition, I do not like the Immortal’s odds when tangling with Cowboy. Considering that Cerrone has an underrated reactive shot, we could expect to see him explore possibilities on the floor.

From slow starts to southpaw pressure-fighters, Cerrone has conquered many of his traditional tropes since moving to welterweight. And although he has already topped two pressure fighters in Patrick Cote and Rick Story, he will be put to the ultimate test of pressure against a marauding Matt Brown. If Brown can close the distance and create the chaotic environment he thrives in, then we may see an eye-opening upset in the early rounds. That said, it is hard to side with Brown’s chances of not getting burned when seeing that he has been dropped or stunned in 6 of his last 8-fights. Ultimately, I see Cowboy coming out on top of what should be an entertaining gun fight.

Official Mixed Martial Analyst Pick: Cerrone – Inside the distance

Tokens
Cub Swanson (23-7)

Staple info:
•Height: 5’7″ Age: 33 Weight: 145 lbs Reach: 70″
•Last Fight: Decision win / Tatsuya Kawajiri (8-6-16)
•Stance/Striking Style: Orthodox / Kickboxing

Supplemental info:
+ Black Belt BJJ
+ 11 KO victories
+ 4 Submission wins
+ 7 first round finishes
+ KO Power
+ Good footwork & movement
^ Stance-switches, shifts, & darts
+ Creative offensive flow
^ From boxing to cartwheel kicks
+/-Often keeps a low standing guard
^ Heavily reliant on head movement
^ Improved hips, frames, & fundamentals
+ Solid transitional grappler
^ Works well from topside

Doo Ho Choi (14-1)

Staple info:
•Height: 5’9″ Age: 25 Weight: 145 lbs Reach: 70″
•Last Fight: KO win / Thiago Tavares (7-8-16)
•Camp: Gumi MMA (Korea)
•Risk Management: Moderate

Supplemental info:
+ 12 Fight winning streak
+ 11 KO victories
+ 1 Submission wins
+ 8 first round finishes
+ KO power
+ Deceptive hand & foot speed
+ Excellent footwork
^ Rarely out of position
+ Preternatural reactive instincts
^ Insanely accurate shot selection
+ Times & intercepts opposition
+ Superb sense of hips & base
^ Sprawls & floats effectively
+ Good transitional ground game
^ Chains submissions to get-ups

Summary:

In a featherweight fight that has hardcore fans salivating, Cub Swanson squares off with Doo Ho Choi. Coming off of a three-round thriller with Tatsuya Kawajiri earlier this year, Cub Swanson seeks to add to his winning streak as he attempts another run toward the top. Standing in Cub’s way will be the fast-rising Doo Ho Choi. One of the most touted prospects to come out of the Asian scene in quite some time, Choi has met all expectations and more since coming to the big show. With getting his wish to fight Cub Swanson, the Korean Super Boy will now face his most dangerous test to date.

Starting off on the feet is an interesting predicament between two skilled-strikers. One man prefers to bait offense and counter, whereas the other likes to use offense to open up counter-opportunities of his own. One of the organization’s more prolific offensive artists, Swanson shows all the attributes you would want in an action-fighter. Although his movements may seem sporadic at times, there is a method to Cub’s madness as he seldom moves against momentum.

Whether he is shifting his stance to throw liver kicks from southpaw or darting off of his favored lead right-hand, Swanson is ultimately looking to initiate the reactions that will allow for his opposition to open themselves up inadvertently. Working with Yoel Diaz for many years, Swanson’s boxing influence shines through in his follow-up punches as he variates brilliantly to the body. That said, I feel that Swanson’s kicking arsenal may come in handy with this particular matchup.

Accurately prodding with inside and outside leg kicks, Cub could certainly test the checking abilities of his South Korean counterpart. That said, he will, of course, need to be weary of the counters Choi keeps at the ready. However, the Korean Super Boy often leans heavily to his left side so that he can stay loaded for his preferred choices of counter shots. This tendency could put Choi in line with Swanson’s attacks from that side, as Cub throws a cartwheel kick off his offensive flow with surprising fluidity.

But, as impressive as Swanson’s arsenal can be, his reliance on being the speedier man could get him burned against a counter striker of this caliber. An unassuming, smirking assassin, Choi operates his overall game with preternatural instincts that are downright spooky. Despite staying close for conservative standards, Choi keeps a measured distance as he hangs just outside of range. Moving deceptively well, Choi maintains his feet beneath him as he will utilize feints to draw out his opposition’s attacks.

Only needing but one or two bites to get a beat on his opponent’s timing, the South Korean will then accurately intercept his oncoming foe with jab-cross-hook variations. Should Choi successfully counter Cub early, we could see him disrupt Swanson’s rhythm and seriously shift the momentum of this match. Even though Cub should have the on-paper advantage on the floor being the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, I doubt we will see much ground time given each fighter’s trends.

Despite Swanson arguably having more of a motive to take this party to the floor, he has only clocked 7-takedown attempts in his last 22-rounds of fighting. Cub will also have to be careful when shooting for takedowns given that Choi is exceptional at intercepting his opposition with knees and uppercuts. The South Korean also displays deceptively effective defense when thwarting takedowns, as I suspect he may make things difficult for Swanson.

Demonstrating an awareness of his opposition’s takedown range and intentions, Choi keeps his hips at the ready as he possesses a strong sprawl. Floating from the top position opportunistically, the South Korean maintains a solid sense of things as he seldom commits himself unnecessarily. Utilizing subtle but effective grip-fighting, Choi disrupts his opposition’s attempts to re-wrestle while dropping bombs from a comfortable cruising altitude(as seen in his fight with Nagakura). Even when the Korean Super Boy is taken down, Choi has demonstrated in past bouts that he is no slouch from here.

Displaying a solid transition game, Choi will intelligently chain together his submission attempts into sweeps or standups. Showing off deceptively strong hips, the Korean pops up with the immediacy and ease of a wrestler. In his last bout, we saw Choi effectively utilize the cage to get back to his feet against a veteran fighter, and Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt in Thiago Tavares. With the young Korean’s fight-to-fight improvements, ground stanzas will certainly be interesting, even if they are brief. Considering both men’s nature to scramble and stand, I do not expect grappling exchanges to last long no matter who ends up on top.

Where this road of potential chaos becomes clearer to me is when looking at Swanson’s tendencies. Even when at his best, Cub tends to keep his hands low as he relies heavily upon his speed and reaction times. These instincts have cost Cub in the form of strikes and scorecards when facing technically proficient strikers who have a good grasp of timing(Holloway, Edgar, & Stephens). Against a fighter that is possibly more precise and powerful than those aforementioned, Swanson could very well find himself in the fire as I see the Korean Super boy scoring big.

Official Mixed Martial Analyst Pick: Choi – Inside the distance

Tokens
Tim Kennedy (18-5)

Staple info:
•Height: 5’11” Age: 37 Weight: 185 lbs Reach: 74″
•Last Fight: TKO loss / Yoel Romero (9-27-14)

Supplemental info:
+ Army Combative LHW Champion
+ BJJ Black Belt
+ Multiple Grappling Accolades
+ 8 KO victories
+ 6 Submission wins
+ 8 first round finishes
+ Heavy hands
+ Accurate shot selection
^ Coming forward & countering
^ Solid takedowns & shot defense
+ Excellent top control
^ Smothers, strikes, submits
+ Superb scrambles & get-ups
+ Strong inside the clinch
– 1st fight in 25 months

Kelvin Gastelum (12-2)

Staple info:
•Height: 5’9″ Age: 25 Weight: 185 lbs Reach: 72″
•Last Fight: Decision win / Johny Hendricks (7-9-16)
•Camp: Kings MMA (California)
•Stance/Striking Style: Southpaw / Kickboxing

Supplemental info:
+ TUF 17 Winner
+ Wrestling State Champ
+ Purple Belt BJJ
+ 5 KO victories
+ 4 Submission wins
+ 5 first round finishes
+ KO power
+ High pressure approach
^ Good volume & combinations
+ Improved boxing
^ Accurate R. hook—L. cross
+ Hard left body kick
+ Solid scrambling ability
^ Always looks for back
+/-Willingness to trade
^ Counter availabilities

Summary:

In an interesting fight in the middleweight division, Tim Kennedy makes his return against Kelvin Gastelum. Originally slated to face Rashad Evans at UFC 205, medical issues forced the former champion off the card, leaving Kennedy without a dance partner in New York. With Toronto following suit in denying Evans a license, Kelvin Gastelum will now step up to his new home of 185-pounds. After failing to make weight at UFC 205, Kelvin will be looking to take a step closer to redeeming himself with a big win against America’s finest.

In one of the most intangible filled fights on the card, it can be tricky when trying to get a beat on how this one will unfold. Although I do agree with Kennedy being favored to win, I feel that Kelvin is more than a live dog here. With weight issues plaguing the majority of his UFC career, it is easy to get lost in the negative narrative of Gastelum when initially assessing his chances in a fight. However, when looking closer at his actual career, Kelvin’s only losses are two split decision’s to top competition that could have gone his way. One of which was to the current champion, Tyron Woodley, in a fight where Kelvin was sick and hospitalized within 24-hours of the event.

That said, Tim Kennedy may be one of his toughest tests stylistically in quite some time. A strong middleweight who is not deterred easily from his tasks, Tim may be able to put Kelvin in positions we have yet to see him in inside of the Octagon. A tactical fighter, Tim will tailor his approach to his opponent as the former sniper stays focused on his objectives. Considering he has a ground advantage on paper, I suspect we may see Kennedy look for takedowns early and often as he did in his fights with Michael Bisping and Melvin Manhoef. Considering that Kelvin has been taken down in 5 of his last 7-fights, it is hard to deny Tim’s chances in grounding Gastelum.

However, Kelvin may not be as easy to takedown as the statistics suggest. Although Tim is not shy in committing himself to his shots off punches, he is most effective when he can get his opposition to the cage. In Gastelum’s fight with Neil Magny, we saw Kelvin surprisingly taken down from the fence multiple times in their match. Even though Magny’s long frame undoubtedly helped his leverage, Neil was ultimately able to work takedowns off of high under-hooks in a similar fashion that Tim likes to score. That said, we saw Kelvin show improvements to this area in his last fight with Johny Hendricks.

Utilizing high and tight over-hooks, Gastelum was able to thwart Johny’s attempts against the fence. Using his free hand to disrupt grips and retain under-hooks, Kelvin was able to reverse position and separate on multiple occasions. Although it will be interesting to see if he can stuff Tim’s attempts, it will be even more interesting if Tim can get Gastelum down. With both men scrambling well, ground stanzas should be fun as each fighter consistently hustles for position. That said, Kennedy has a smothering top game that could prove to be the antithesis for Kelvin’s style of grappling.

Whether Tim is hanging heavy in half-guard or grapevining into his mounts, he leaves little room for rebudle as his transitions are air-tight. Regardless of who is on bottom, both men tend to turtle out when standing, which makes things intriguing when you consider that they both are proficient back takers. Although I can see Tim winning a dogfight within this realm, it is on the feet where my opinions begin to sway. Despite Kennedy being able to do a little bit of everything standing up, he tends to revert to fighting along the outside of the cage when his initial attacks fail.

Although Kennedy is accurate with his counter shots, hanging out along the outside of the fence could ultimately play into Kelvin’s hand as he does his best work when his opponents are in this space. An inherent pressure-fighter, we have recently started to see Gastelum’s skills come to fruition under the tutelage of Rafael Cordeiro at Kings MMA. Having a history of transforming southpaw grapplers into dangerous pressure-fighting strikers, Cordeiro has seemingly imparted the same knowledge to Kelvin as he now incorporates crushing kicks to his already potent punches.

Staying in the Southern California scene, we have also seen Kelvin make measurable improvements to his boxing and footwork. In his last fight, we saw Gastelum pivot more off of his right hand which allowed him take superior angles and get the jump on Johny. In fact, I feel Kelvin’s right hand will be a key factor in this fight. Tim’s last two losses come to hands of southpaws who were both able to drop him with leaping right hooks. Considering that a leaping right hook is Kelvin’s most consistent and accurate strike, this could be a shot worth looking for on the feet.

That said, the biggest intangible in the striking department will be the potential improvements of Kennedy. Although two years out of competition is troublesome no matter who you are, Tim Kennedy has not exactly been inactive as his background certainly gives him some competitive edges. Tim has also spent a lot of time under the tutelage of Brandon Gibson over the years, which I feel is also worth noting. However, if Kennedy cannot establish himself early on the feet or floor, Kelvin’s output and pressure could turn into a runaway train that earns him scorecards standing. Ultimately, I recommend caution in playing what is one of the harder fights to call on the card.

Official Mixed Martial Analyst Pick: Gastelum – Decision

Tokens
Jordan Mein (29-10)

Staple info:
•Height: 6’0″ Age: 27 Weight: 170 lbs Reach: 73.5″
•Last Fight: TKO loss / Thiago Alves (1-31-15)
•Camp: Canadian Martial Arts Centre (Canada)

Supplemental info:
+ Amateur MMA Accolades
+ 16 KO victories
+ 7 Submission win
+ 19 first round finishes
+ KO power
+ Good footwork
^ Will switch stances
+ Solid boxing technique
^ Puts together punches well
+ Accurate left hook
^ Variates well to the body
+ Excellent clinch striker
^ Elbows, knees, & dirty boxing
+ Improved grappling & sub defense
+ Active ground striker
+ Competent takedown ability
+/-1st fight in 23 months

Emil Meek (8-2-1)

Staple info:
•Height: 5’11” Age: 28 Weight: 170 lbs Reach: 74″
•Last Fight: KO win / Rousimar Palhares (5-21-16)
•Camp: Frontline Academy (Norway)

Supplemental info:
+ Venator Welterweight Champion
+ 7 KO victories
+ 1 Submission win
+ 5 first round finishes
+ KO power
+ Solid boxing technique
^ Puts together punches well
+ Good head movement
^ Changes level & rolls well w/punches
+ Strong inside the clinch
^ Deadly knees, elbows, & dirty boxing
+ Competent takedown ability
^ Explosive double-leg
? Questionable overall ground game
+/-Aggressive in exchanges
^ Counter availabilities
+/-UFC Debut

Summary:

Kicking off the main card is a firefight as the returning Jordan Mein welcomes Emil Meek to the UFC. Despite his young age, Jordan Mein has been competing in professional MMA since high school as the young gun comes from a fighting family. Retiring after a loss to Thiago Alves almost 2-years ago, Mein will make his return to a mainstage spot as he attempts another ascension up the ranks. Seeking to spoil the homecoming is Emil Meek. Despite Meek being a year older with a fourth of Mein’s experience, the Nordic fighter has stormed the European scene as he now sets his sights on the UFC.

Coming off of a 45-second dusting of former UFC welterweight Rousimar Palhares, Meek made himself known to many as that win put him on the international radar. Although his record is lacking in name value, Emil carries raw, but impressive abilities to go along with a particular type of confidence that draws comparison to Conor McGregor. Despite the ferocity and aggression that often opens up his finishes, Emil shows a surprising amount of technique in his boxing. Prodding with jabs just outside of range, Meek is not shy in exploding forward with cross-hook variations.

Changing his level on feints as well as attacks, Emil demonstrates some solid head movement when he is not going in for the kill. Even when throwing his crosses from the rear, Meek rolls fluidly off of them which typically clears his head from check hook counters. Considering who Emil is facing, these head movements will be crucial for the aggressively advancing Nordic fighter. Although Mein is known for his hooks, it is the diversity in his setups that make him so dangerous. Often switching to southpaw, Mein throws accurate check-hooks from both stances as he pivots appropriately. Given Emil’s pressure-fighting sensibilities, I suspect Mein to lean heavily on his crafty counters in this match.

Never bashful in going to the body, Jordan will variate his hooks with impunity when he senses his opponent is hurt. Even though the Canadian has an aggressive killer instinct and approach, Mein’s technical craft and experience has seemingly molded him into a stick-and-move stylist. Typically prefering to play just outside of range, Jordan will steadily apply pressure as he looks to establish his timing and rhythm. That said, Jordan has traditionally struggled with maintaining his process when pitted against fighters who are not afraid to pressure, as he will need to keep his cool as the likely Matador in this matchup.

Where the striking exchanges get even more interesting is when entering the clinch space. Despite both fighters being effective with similar weapons, Mein is much more technical as he wields wicked elbows that will be worth watching for anytime these two get close. Although more brutish, Emil is equally effective in close range with his dirty boxing and knees. Getting creative with angles, Meek showed us in his last fight that he can get it done with elbows as well. With the clinch fighting also being difficult to forecast, I can only promise that this storm will be violent for as long as it lasts.

If Mein fails to put out the appropriate fires on the feet, we may see him explore his on-paper advantages on the floor. Even though Jordan seldom shoots for takedowns, he does work well from a head-outside single as he shows competent chains from that position. That said, those type of takedowns typically exposes the neck, which in turn could open up a Guillotine choke. Although there is not a huge sample-size on Meek’s ground game, he seems to be strong from the front headlock as he owns Guillotine wins on his professional and amateur record.

Although I do not usually side with the fighter who is making their UFC debut, Meek shows the type of intangibles in his attitude and abilities that play potent parts in a successful debut. Not only that, but I feel that Emil also presents a stylistic matchup that has traditionally troubled Mein. Despite Jordan being much more technically refined, shaking off ring rust and reestablishing rhythm can be tough to do when facing a pressure-fighting madman with crushing power. If you are considering a play on this fight, then I recommend you sprinkle lightly as this shootout can go either way.

Official Mixed Martial Analyst Pick: Meek – Inside the distance

Tokens
Mixed Martial Analyst

Preliminary Card Predictions:

•Cirkunov def. Krylov
•Dober def. Aubin-Mercier
•Letourneau def. Pereira
•Gagnon def. Lopez
•Vannata def. Makdessi
•Khabilov def. Saggo
•Makovsky def. Ortiz

Draft Kings recommended rosters:

Team #1: $49,800.00

-Donald Cerrone ($9,300.00)
-Doo Ho Choi ($8,900.00)
-Lando Vannata ($8,700.00)
-Misha Cirkunov ($8,100.00)
-Matthew Lopez ($7,600.00)
-Emil Meek ($7,200.00)

Team Summary:

With UFC 206 featuring a ton of heavy-hitting gunslingers, there is a lot to like for your DraftKings fantasy rosters. For this week’s high tier recommendations, I elected to go with Donald Cerrone, Doo Ho Choi, Lando Vannata, and Misha Cirkunov. Despite Donald Cerrone being the highest-priced pick at $9,300.00, he is also the favored fighter in the evening’s most potent gun fight. Considering that Matt Brown has been dropped or stunned in 6 of his last 8-fights, I see Cerrone scoring big for the reasons listed in the breakdown above.

Secondly, I decided to go the Doo Ho Choi as I see him having the edge to find the finish for the reasons in the breakdown above. As the 2nd highest average earner on the card at 105 APPG(Average Points Per Game), the Korean Super Boy is well worth the $8,900.00. Thirdly, I elected to go with Lando Vannata despite John Makdessi being one of the more experienced fighters in the organization. When doing prior scouting reports on Vannata, I was very impressed with his abilities as I forecasted him giving Ferguson a tough fight. Now with a full camp underneath him, I see this fight being a clear case of different directions as I believe Vannata finds the finish before the final horn.

For my last higher tier favorite, I decided to go with Misha Cirkunov as he is the highest average scorer with 107 APPG. Although he is facing another dangerous finisher in Nikita Krylov, I believe that Cirkunov’s smothering, but conservative pressure will be his opponent’s stylistic antithesis. Despite Krylov’s shown fight-to-fight improvements, he still displays the tendencies to give key positions. Against Cirkunov, I am not sure that Krylov gets away with it as I see Misha finding the finish. For $8,100.00, Cirkunov makes for a bargainable edition to your roster.

For my lower tier underdog picks, I elected to go with Matthew Lopez and Emil Meek. Although I officially sided with Gagnon, this match is on my fights to avoid list due to its high intangibles. Inactive for almost two years, it hard to see how Gagnon will look in his first fight back. Against a wrestler who can potentially take away his takedown threats, we could see Lopez force Gagnon from his comfort zone. Lopez also keeps a quick pace that could wear on Gagnon, who has shown to tire late in the past.

Although Matthew’s submission hunger cost him in his last bout, it could pay off in his matchup as he faces a fighter who is just getting his feet back underneath him. Finally, I decided to go with Emil Meek for the reasons listed in the breakdown above. Despite the UFC debut, I feel that he is a potentially a tough matchup for Mein as I see him finding the finish with his heavy-hands. For the low price of $7,200.00, Meek makes for a solid supporting cast member in a high-priced roster.

Props worth looking at:

-Vannata Inside the distance +165 (1 Unit)
-Cerrone/Brown doesn’t go the distance: -155 (2 Units)
-Makovsky by Decision: +119 (0.5 Unit)
-Cerrone Inside the distance: +120 (1 Unit)
-Choi Inside the distance: +100 (1 Unit)

Playable favorites for your parlays:

-Donald Cerrone
-Doo Ho Choi

Fights to avoid:

-Letourneau vs Pereira
-Gagnon vs Lopez
-Khabilov vs Saggo

Tokens
The Complete Guide to UFC 206
from Patrick Wyman - The Bleacher Report

Zach Makovsky (19-7; 3-3 UFC) vs. Dustin Ortiz (15-6; 4-4 UFC)

Veteran flyweights Makovsky and Ortiz open the proceedings on Fight Pass. Both men have lost two in a row and are desperately in need of a win, as the loser stands a good chance of being cut despite dropping bouts to excellent fighters. Ortiz's two losses came to Jussier Formiga and Wilson Reis, while Makovsky lost to Joseph Benavidez and John Dodson.

Makovsky, a southpaw, relies on a crisp, technical wrestling game that he sets up with strikes. He's a sharp, stifling grappler who excels in transitions. Ortiz also loves to scramble and employs a nice mixture of wrestling and grappling to maintain tight control on the ground. He's a decent combination striker as well but prefers to be tied up.

Prediction: Makovsky and Ortiz are similar fighters, but Makovsky is a bit more skilled as a wrestler and grappler and isn't giving up much, if anything, at striking range. Makovsky will win a competitive but clear decision.

Jason Saggo (12-2; 3-1 UFC) vs. Rustam Khabilov (20-3; 6-2 UFC)

Canada's Saggo draws Russia's Khabilov in a solid lightweight scrap. Saggo has won two in a row since tearing his ACL, knocking out Justin Salas and then eking out a split decision over Leandro Silva. Khabilov was once a top prospect, but his momentum has stalled despite winning his last three fights.

Saggo can do a bit of everything, with a crisp striking arsenal, solid takedowns and an opportunistic, technically sound grappling game on the mat. He's not much of a defensive wrestler, though. Khabilov is a great athlete blessed with serious speed and power, but he works at a glacially slow pace and has a habit of giving away rounds. It's a pity, because he has outstanding takedowns and good technique on the feet.

Prediction: It wouldn't be surprising if Khabilov dropped a round or two due to inactivity, and Saggo is the kind of fighter who finds ways to win, but the Russian is a superior athlete and a much better wrestler. Khabilov will take a decision.

John Makdessi (14-5; 7-5 UFC) vs. Lando Vannata (8-1; 0-1 UFC)

Vannata made a strong impression in his UFC debut, giving top contender Tony Ferguson everything he could handle on short notice before falling short in the second round. He draws Canada's Makdessi, a veteran of 12 UFC bouts, in his return engagement. Makdessi won a tight decision over Mehdi Baghdad in his last outing to snap a two-fight losing streak.

Vannata is quick, powerful and technically sound, with a creative, diverse striking game built on excellent footwork, command of angles and movement. He sets a long range with heavy front, side, round and spinning kicks and then either counters as his opponent comes in or blitzes with heavy punching combinations. He wrestles well and uses his level changes to set up strikes.

Makdessi is a pure striker, and one with excellent fundamentals and technique. The jab is the foundation of his game, and he supports it with a crisp right hand. Round, front and spinning kicks provide a nice complement to his boxing arsenal, and he isn't afraid to go flashy from time to time.

Prediction: Makdessi is a tricky striker whose high volume and technical skill could trouble Vannata, but the New Jersey native has the look of a special prospect with his unorthodox striking game and athleticism. Vannata will find a knockout shot in the second round.

Mitch Gagnon (12-3; 4-2 UFC) vs. Matthew Lopez (8-1; 0-1 UFC)

Canada's Gagnon returns to action after a two-year layoff and draws Arizona's Lopez. Gagnon won four straight but fell short in a competitive fight with Renan Barao in December 2014. Lopez had a tough debut fight against Rani Yahya and tapped out in the third round.

Gagnon is short for the division at 5'5" but makes up for it with speed and explosiveness. He puts together nice head-body punching combinations on the feet and melds his striking repertoire with technical takedowns. On the mat, he has a gift for getting to the back and finishing.

Lopez is a powerful, athletic fighter with big power in his hands, but he mostly relies on potent takedowns, heavy ground strikes and opportunistic submissions.

Prediction: Gagnon has been out for a long time, but he's more skilled on the feet and has a nasty submission game on the ground. He'll win a decision.

Valerie Letourneau (8-5; 3-2 UFC) vs. Viviane Pereira (11-0; 0-0 UFC)

Former title challenger Letourneau takes on debuting Brazilian Pereira in a good matchup at 115 pounds. Pereira's competition has been solid if not outstanding on the regional scene, and she enters the UFC undefeated. Letourneau won three in a row to begin her UFC career but has lost her last two—the title fight to Joanna Jedrzejczyk and her return bout against Joanne Calderwood.

Striking is Letourneau's wheelhouse. She has great timing on her counters and throws a vicious left kick, especially after her crisp right hand. The occasional takedown adds variety. Pereira is tiny for the division at 5'0", but makes up for it with aggression and pressure. She wings hard punching combinations in the pocket, hits powerful takedowns and drops bombs from top position.

Prediction: The 5'7" Letourneau has a huge size advantage and the skills to stick and move. She'll win a decision.

Olivier Aubin-Mercier (8-2; 4-2 UFC) vs. Drew Dober (17-7, 1 NC; 3-3, 1 NC UFC)

Quebec's Aubin-Mercier draws Nebraska's Dober in a solid lightweight matchup. Aubin-Mercier was the runner-up on The Ultimate Fighter: Nations and has seen mixed results since then as he has defeated low-level fighters but come up short when he has faced better competition. Dober has won two in a row and most recently knocked out Jason Gonzalez in September.

Aubin-Mercier is big, strong and athletic. The southpaw can strike a bit and throws heavy kicks but prefers chains of trips and shot takedowns and working to the back on the mat. The rear-naked choke is his specialty. Dober, a southpaw, is a technically sound kickboxer. Crisp punch-kick combinations are his wheelhouse, and he can wrestle well enough to stay standing.

Prediction: If Aubin-Mercier can't work takedowns, Dober is a good enough striker to give him trouble on the feet. If it goes to the ground, though, it's Aubin-Mercier's fight to lose. The Canadian will find a submission in the second round.

Nikita Krylov (21-4; 6-2 UFC) vs. Misha Cirkunov (12-2; 3-0 UFC)

Cirkunov and Krylov face each other in a matchup that happens about as often as a unicorn sighting: a meeting of true light heavyweight prospects. The 24-year-old Ukrainian Krylov ran his winning streak to five with a knockout of Ed Herman in July, while the Latvian-Canadian Cirkunov submitted Ion Cutelaba in June.

Krylov is big for the division at 6'3" and has finishing skills on the feet and on the mat. Aggression is the hallmark of his game, and while he doesn't have one-punch knockout power, he drowns his opponent in a constant stream of punch-kick combinations. He's especially dangerous in transitions and has a knack for finding guillotines and getting to the back, but he's not a great defensive wrestler.

Cirkunov is also big at 6'3", and he puts his size to good use with slick trips and throws in the clinch, which he combines with a nasty array of inside strikes. He's a slick top-control artist who passes well, drops bombing ground strikes and is always on the lookout for the submission. Striking isn't his strongest suit, and he's a bit wooden, but the southpaw has legitimate power and is putting together better combinations.

Prediction: This is an even money fight and a great matchup of rising young fighters. Cirkunov is a much better wrestler, but he gets most of his takedowns from the clinch, and Krylov is no picnic on the inside. At range, Krylov is hittable but a far more fluid and natural striker with much better volume. It's a coin flip, but the pick is Krylov by knockout in the third round.

Jordan Mein (29-10; 3-2 UFC) vs. Emil Weber Meek (8-2-1, 1 NC; 0-0 UFC)

Norway's Meek, who is best known for knocking out former UFC and World Series of Fighting competitor Rousimar Palhares, makes his UFC debut against returning Canadian veteran Mein. Mein last fought in January 2015, when he fell to Thiago Alves by knockout. Prior to that, he finished Mike Pyle and took a decision from Hernani Perpetuo.

This should be a great action fight between a pair of violent competitors.

Meek is a thick 5'11" and boasts excellent physical tools. He's quick, athletic and has big power in his hands to go with excellent killer instinct. At range, Meek is a solid but uninspiring striker who flicks a consistent jab, sharp kicks and decent counters. Any shot can finish the fight.

Defensive wrestling is a strength for Meek, and he's not easy to keep on the mat. He does his best work in scrambles, where he constantly looks for opportunities to land punches and elbows. This is where he's most dangerous.

Mein is a crisp, skilled striker. Boxing is the foundation of his game, and he relies on a consistent jab and heavy head-body combinations, all of which are set up by gorgeous feints. He does an outstanding job of reading his opponent's hands and head movement to place his shots. The occasional cracking low kick and standing elbow adds variety.

Serviceable takedown defense mostly keeps Mein standing, and he can hit the occasional takedown of his own for good measure. He's not an especially dangerous grappler, though.

Prediction

Mein's long layoff and what he's been doing in the meantime are worth questioning, but he's a more experienced, deeper striker than Meek. The Canadian will find the knockout in the first round.

Tim Kennedy (18-5; 3-1 UFC) vs. Kelvin Gastelum (12-2; 7-2 UFC)

Fresh off yet another missed attempt at making 170 pounds—this one at UFC 205 in November—The Ultimate Fighter winner Gastelum once again moves up to 185 pounds. He draws Kennedy, who was also scheduled to fight at UFC 205 until Rashad Evans was forced to pull out shortly before the bout. Kennedy hasn't fought since a controversial knockout loss to Yoel Romero in September 2014.

It's hard to say what will happen to Gastelum if he wins, given his repeated history of missing weight at 170 pounds. If Kennedy takes the bout, though, he'll be right back in the mix at the top of the middleweight division.

Kennedy is short for the weight class at 5'11", but he makes up for it with great strength and by fighting long on the feet. At range, Kennedy consistently tosses out front and round kicks, and despite his lack of height, he manages to set his preferred distance rather than getting stuck on the end of his opponent's shots.

When he commits to a punch, he carries power in his hands but doesn't throw much volume and rarely works in combinations. Kennedy isn't helpless on the feet, but if the whole fight stays standing, it doesn't bode well for him.

The real heart of Kennedy's game lies in his wrestling and grappling repertoire. When he gets his hands on his opponent, either due to pressuring toward the fence or because of a reactive shot, Kennedy is stifling. He chains together singles, doubles and triples into a seamless, relentless chain that forces his opponent to defend for minutes at a time.

When Kennedy succeeds in dragging the fight to the mat, he's nearly impossible to shake off. He moves smoothly from guard to half-guard to mount, and when his opponent tries to scramble, he's happy to move with him into wrestling-style rides or to take the back in the transition. He's always a step ahead, and while he's not a punishing ground striker or an elite submission threat, he's one of the best control grapplers in MMA.

Gastelum will be tiny for the division at 5'9", but the southpaw is quick, athletic and carries real power in his hands. Aggression is the hallmark of his game, and while he operates at a fast pace and drowns his opponent in volume, it's a studied, measured kind of pressure.

The Arizona native tosses out a steady, consistent southpaw jab to gauge the distance, set a rhythm and force his opponent backward. The jab-cross sequence is the foundation of his game, and he fires it off early and often. He's also a sharp counterpuncher and excels at working into the pocket, drawing out a response and then firing off a sharp combination. Hard, low kicks add a nice complement.

An explosive double-leg takedown serves as a change of pace for Gastelum. He's not a great defensive wrestler, though, and while he excels in scrambles with moves to the back and his front headlock, he can get trapped by better grapplers.

Prediction

This is an interesting matchup. Kennedy has been on the shelf for more than two years and is now 37 years old, both of which need to be taken into account here, but in broad outlines, the fight favors him.

Gastelum has never been a great defensive wrestler and is not that difficult to control on the ground, which would seem to play right into Kennedy's specialties. If Gastelum can keep this standing, he should have a substantial edge, but that seems unlikely. Kennedy will take a decision.

Cub Swanson (23-7; 8-3 UFC) vs. Doo Ho Choi (14-1; 3-0 UFC)

South Korea's Choi gets a big opportunity against the talented veteran Swanson.

Choi is one of the most exciting prospects in the division and has blown the doors off his three UFC opponents, knocking out Thiago Tavares, Sam Sicilia and Juan Manuel Puig in a combined four minutes, 33 seconds. Swanson put together a six-fight winning streak a few years ago but then dropped consecutive fights to Frankie Edgar and Max Holloway. He has since rebounded by winning decisions over Hacran Dias and Tatsuya Kawajiri.

If Choi wins, he'll be the next big thing in a division that is undergoing serious turnover at the top. Swanson is clinging to a spot among the featherweight elite, and at 33 with 12 years of professional experience, he needs this win to remain relevant.

Choi is an aggressive counterpuncher. He likes to press forward, flicking a sharp jab and heavy kicks, until he gets into the pocket. Once he's in range, he waits for the opponent to throw before responding with vicious, fight-ending counter combinations. Both hands carry knockout power, and he has the timing, speed and craft necessary to clip just about anyone in the division. He's even willing to try flying knees as a counter.

The flip side to Choi's aggression and craft is a willingness to brawl. He usually comes out on top in these wild exchanges because of his raw power, but he gives up his defense and some of the craft that makes him so good.

That's the extent of Choi's game. He's a competent defensive wrestler and isn't easy to hold down, and he can occasionally hit trips of his own. On top, he hits hard and can work some control, but that's it.

Despite his advancing years, Swanson remains exceptionally athletic and quick of both hand and foot. Striking is his wheelhouse, and while he's unorthodox, his game builds on a solid fundamental foundation. Footwork, angles, feints and excellent shot selection combined with serious power make Swanson a dangerous fighter.

Swanson prefers to keep his hands low as he circles, cuts angles and moves his head on his way in. Crisp jabs and the occasional cracking kick will score and keep his opponent busy, but it's sharp punching combinations, especially on the counter, that form the heart of his game.

Volume has never been Swanson's strong suit, and he has slowed enough to where he occasionally has trouble pulling the trigger. More seriously, his chin appears to be worn, and flush shots have wobbled him in the recent past.

The rest of Swanson's game is a mixed bag. He's not a great defensive wrestler, though it's not easy to get a clean shot at him; on the other hand, he has a nice arsenal of trips and throws he could stand to use more often. He's too content to play defense from his back rather than scramble, while on top he mostly controls.

Prediction

This feels like a changing-of-the-guard kind of fight. Swanson has the depth of craft and speed to give Choi serious problems, especially if he can mix in some takedowns, but Choi's aggression and power should be the difference here. Choi will find the knockout shot in the second round.

Donald Cerrone (31-7, 1 NC; 18-4 UFC) vs. Matt Brown (20-15; 13-9 UFC)

Veterans Cerrone and Brown meet in a dream matchup of accomplished action fighters. Cerrone lost to Rafael Dos Anjos for a second time last December, but since then, he has reinvented himself as a welterweight. Alex Oliveira, Patrick Cote and Rick Story have all fallen to the improving Cerrone.

Brown is moving the opposite direction; the 35-year-old has lost four of his last five, including a knockout to Jake Ellenberger and a submission to Demian Maia.

If Cerrone wins, he'll be on the cusp of a title shot in a wide-open division. A victory for Brown would stave off his ongoing career decline and buy him a few more fights to prove he's still among the elite.

Cerrone has made legitimate improvements since coming to 170 pounds. Pressure was always his downfall when fighting at lightweight, whether the opponent was Nate Diaz or Dos Anjos. At welterweight, however, he has shown improved footwork, better counters and reactive takedowns.

The combination of those three keeps his back off the fence and makes his opponent less able to walk him down without consequence. At heart, Cerrone is an outside striker who wants to maintain the distance to land crisp, technical punch-kick sequences. When he finds his timing and range, Cerrone drops a steady diet of cracking kicks at all three levels and sharp punching combinations.

To do that, however, Cerrone needs space. In the past, he had a bad habit of moving backward in straight lines and eating punches with his back to the fence, but he now does a much better job of pivoting out or moving his head and countering in the pocket before getting back to a safe distance. Alternatively, he's happy to grab ahold of a clinch, land a few sharp shots and then break off.

Wrestling has always been a strong secondary skill set for Cerrone, and he's using it more effectively than ever. He has outstanding timing on his reactive shots and excels at changing levels to catch a pressuring opponent with a double or a knee tap. Defensively, Cerrone isn't perfect, but especially in open space, he shows off a quick sprawl and excellent technique.

On the mat, Cerrone is venomous. He has an active, dangerous guard that combines triangles, omoplatas and sweeps. On top, he passes quickly and isn't afraid to give up position for a submission attempt. He's especially dangerous in scrambles and has a great move to the back.

Brown is a pressure fighter by nature. His whole game revolves around aggressive forward movement, cutting off his opponent's escape angles and forcing him to the fence, where Brown can either unload strikes or grab ahold of the clinch.

While he doesn't have the pressure game of a Dos Anjos or Conor McGregor, Brown is still technically proficient with his combination of forward movement and strikes. In broad outlines, he pushes his opponent backward while using small steps and arcing strikes, namely round kicks, to attack the space into which the opponent would like to escape. Brown is surprisingly quick as he does this and doesn't mind lunging a bit.

All of Brown's strikes carry power, and he's durable enough to eat a shot to give one back. He has something of a glass liver, though, and has issues with strikes to the body. He doesn't like to exchange, either, which means his pressure can be shut down by an opponent willing to stand his ground and throw back at him.

The clinch is Brown's wheelhouse. He's a whirlwind of motion on the inside, switching between collar ties, underhooks, overhooks and frames, all the while pulling his opponent off balance and dropping in knees, elbows and short punches. Slick trips and dumps add another dimension for opponents to worry about.

Defensive wrestling has been a problem for Brown, and while he's improved as a grappler, he's not much of a threat from his back. He has a bad habit of giving up his neck or his back as he scrambles to his feet. From top position, though, Brown is nasty. He has great posture and packs power in his ground strikes; scrambles are another strength.

Prediction

Brown might be past his peak, but it's still a tricky matchup for the former lightweight. Brown's pressure could be a serious problem if Cerrone's footwork and stick-and-move games aren't on point, and in the clinch, Brown's sheer size and technical acumen are a tall order for the smaller fighter.

With that said, the matchup still favors Cerrone by a large margin. Reactive takedowns should be key, and once the fight hits the mat, it's all Cerrone. He'll submit Brown in the second round.

Max Holloway (16-3; 12-3 UFC) vs. Anthony Pettis (19-5; 6-4 UFC)

Hawaii's Holloway looks to add one more win to his streak as he tries for a 10th consecutive victory and an interim title against former lightweight champion Pettis.

Holloway has run through most of the featherweight division during his current run, taking out Ricardo Lamas, Jeremy Stephens, Charles Oliveira and Cub Swanson in his four most recent outings. Pettis, by contrast, has struggled of late. A win over Oliveira in his debut at 145 pounds got Pettis back on track, but prior to that he had lost three straight to Rafael Dos Anjos, Eddie Alvarez and Edson Barboza.

The winner will walk away with a belt, albeit a somewhat absurd one, and more importantly, a shot at newly recrowned featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo.

Holloway is a smooth, technical and intelligent striker with great size at 5'11". Everything he does in the cage is built on rock-solid fundamentals, especially crisp, tight footwork that he can put to a variety of purposes depending on his foe. His command of pivots, sidesteps and angles is some of the best in the sport and consistently puts him in position to land strikes while avoiding his opponent's.

If Holloway's matchup wants to pressure, that footwork allows Holloway to keep his back off the fence and maintain his preferred long distance while still creating opportunities to land strikes. If Holloway's opponent wants to stick and move, that footwork allows Holloway to cut off the cage, force his foe to the fence and stick him on the end of his long reach.

For the most part, Holloway's arsenal is meat and potatoes. He can fight from both stances but mostly prefers southpaw these days; in orthodox, he relies more on his jab, but in southpaw, he probes and measures distance with his lead hand before committing to a straight left-right hook combination or flicking a sharp front kick. The occasional spinning kick adds flash.

The real genius in Holloway's combination game is in how he throws, not what he throws. He excels at finding dominant or blind angles from which to land, mixes up his rhythm, feints regularly and moves between the body and head, depending on his opponent's defensive responses. Volume is a strong suit, and Holloway routinely throws 20 or 25 strikes per minute without ever coming close to tiring himself out.

If Holloway has a weakness, it's defense in the pocket. As he has grown more comfortable with his excellent counters, Holloway finds himself in distance to be hit more often, and his defense at that range is basic. That's a minor concern, though, in the context of one of the best striking arsenals in the division.

The rest of Holloway's game is designed to allow him to strike at range for as much time as possible. He's difficult to hold in the clinch and uses his height to generate tremendous leverage in close, which allows him to land sharp knees. He has great instincts for throwing on the breaks as well.

Holloway's takedown defense is bulletproof. His technique is the best in the division outside of Aldo, and his height and command of distance make it difficult to get a clean shot at his hips in the first place. His strong front headlock and counter-wrestling make it more dangerous to shoot on him, as he's liable to turn a bad shot into a guillotine choke or a sweep to top position.

Pettis is essentially the same fighter he was during his run to the UFC title: a remarkably quick, athletic and dangerous striker with a venomous submission game on the ground. His weaknesses, however, remain as obvious as his strengths.

When given space to operate, Pettis is lethal. He operates in both stances, though lately he seems to prefer southpaw, and flicks the occasional jab or punching combination as he circles through the cage. He's a solid counterpuncher and showcases excellent hand speed and timing, though he doesn't pack big power.

The meat of his game lies in his tremendous arsenal of kicks, which are some of the fastest, most devastating in the sport. A single body or head kick can finish the fight, and he excels at disguising the location and arc. Flashy jumping and spinning kicks add another dimension to Pettis' game, especially when he uses them judiciously.

The problem is how rarely Pettis gets to utilize this devastating striking game. During his recent run, and even in his last several victories, he's spent long periods getting shoved against the fence, eating shots and defending nonstop takedown attempts.

While he could stand to become a better defensive wrestler and clinch fighter, those are symptoms of the real problem: Pettis' inability to keep his back off the fence. He doesn't have the precise footwork necessary to shut down his opponent's pressure. Alvarez and Dos Anjos simply walked him down, held him in place and let the rest of the fight take care of itself.

Another issue is Pettis' lack of offensive output. He's better about this than he used to be, but he still doesn't throw enough volume to capitalize when he does have the space he needs. Barboza outworked him with combinations and scoring strikes.

Pettis doesn't have the tools to impose the kind of fight he prefers: a slow-paced, long-distance striking match that plays to his quickness and kicking game; instead, he relies on his opponent to consent to that kind of bout, and if he doesn't, Pettis is vulnerable.

Grappling is a strong secondary skill set for Pettis. He's active and dangerous from his guard and is devastating with passes and strikes when he gets on top. Scrambles are his specialty, and he excels at getting to the back and working from the front headlock. He rarely shoots for takedowns, though, and is reactive.

Prediction

This is Holloway's fight to lose. He has the pressure footwork to take away the space Pettis needs to operate and work at a much faster pace, which means he should be able to drown Pettis in volume. Pettis might be the superior pure grappler, though that isn't a given, and far better wrestlers than the former lightweight champion have tried and failed to get Holloway to the mat.

Striking with Pettis for five rounds carries serious risks, though. Holloway is tough, but Pettis is still quick and powerful enough to finish him with a single shot at any time. Despite his injury history outside the cage, inside it Pettis is exceptionally durable, which means he should be able to weather the volume and hang around into the late rounds.

All of this is a recipe for a fantastic bout. Holloway will force Pettis to fight faster than he prefers, which should lead to fireworks, and Pettis' incredible killer instinct and finishing ability should keep Holloway on his toes. Holloway will survive the scary moments to take a close but clear decision.

Tokens
Over/Under Totals for UFC 206
from MMA Oddsbreaker

Welterweight bout: Jordan Mein (-155) vs Emil Meek (+135)

Gabe’s Thoughts: Jordan Mein is back! The UFC signs Meek to face him, after Meek scored a first round knockout of Rousimar Palhares in Europe. Mein versus Meek should be an excellent match-up in the UFC’s 170-pound division, and I can see both fighters having a bright future inside the Octagon. Mein needed a much needed break, and he called it a “retirement” but he is back and I expect him to look great, because I don’t think he would make a comeback if he was not feeling incredible. I think this is a close fight, but I do lean towards Mein getting his hand raised. I agree with the current betting odds for this contest, so I don’t see enough value on Mein to pull the trigger on a play. That said, I do think the Total of Under 1.5 rounds at -120 holds some value, as I think both welterweights are likely to win this fight within seven and a half minutes of action than any other way. I think it’s the same as playing Mein, except you get the insurance of still winning in case Meek pulls it off.

Gabe’s Call: Mein by T/KO (strikes, 2:01 round 1)

Gabe’s Recommended Play: Under 1.5 rounds (-120) 2.4u to win 2u

Light Heavyweight bout: Misha Cirkunov (-130) vs Nikita Krylov (+110)

Gabe’s Thoughts: This is an excellent match-up in the UFC’s 205-pound division and one of the most highly anticipated fights on the entire card. Both light heavyweights are red hot inside the Octagon and will be looking to roll with another impressive victory in this contest. I agree with the current betting odds in that this is a very close fight that I slightly favor Cirkunov in. I would not fault anyone for playing Cirkunov at his current price of -130, however I personally like the Total of Under 1.5 rounds in this fight, as I think both fighters have a good chance of ending this fight within seven and a half minutes of action. Krylov likes to go for the kill from the opening bell, and against an opponent who is a decent step up in competition, that could end up costing him.

Gabe’s Call: Cirkunov by Submission (guillotine choke, 3:44 round 1)

Gabe’s Recommended Play: Under 1.5 rounds (-120) 2.4u to win 2u

Tokens
Preliminary Card Parlay for UFC 206
from MMA OddsBreaker

Lightweight bout: John Makdessi (+140) vs. Lando Vannata (-180)

Gabe’s Thoughts: This is a striker versus striker matchup in the UFC’s lightweight division, and both fighters are two of the smaller 155-pounders the UFC roster has to offer, as Makdessi and Vannata both appear capable of making the featherweight limit. Makdessi is an excellent striker with great technique, but I think Vannata’s superior chin and advantages in reach and power will make the difference, as I see him connecting on Makdessi’s button and putting him out at some point throughout the scheduled 15 minutes of action. I expect this fight to be Vannata’s coming-out party, and I see him earning a victory in impressive fashion. The loser of this bout should consider a move to 145 pounds in my opinion.

Gabe’s Call: Vannata by T/KO (punch, 1:01 round 1

Bantamweight bout: Mitch Gagnon (-170) vs. Matthew Lopez (+130)

Gabe’s Thoughts: Two bantamweights with bad cardio. I think Gagnon will come out the gate faster and stronger, likely putting Lopez away early. Should Lopez manage to survive the early onslaught, I think he will end up losing on the scorecards. I favor the French-Canadian to get his hand raised in Canada and return to the win column at 135 pounds. Lopez is a solid prospect who had his first taste of professional mixed martial arts defeat in his promotional debut against veteran Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Rani Yahya, losing via third-round arm-triangle choke submission. He hopes to pick up his first UFC win by taking out Gagnon, who is coming off an extended layoff following a third-round arm-triangle choke submission loss to former 135-pound champ Renan Barao. Both fighters just suffered nearly identical losses and aim to get their hand raised in impressive fashion. Gagnon is the more proven fighter of the two, so while Lopez appears to have a high ceiling, I think his opponent has the tools to get the job done more often times than not at this point in their careers, as long as he has not hit a big decline in his time off.

Gabe’s Call: Gagnon by T/KO (punches, 0:31 round 1)

Gabe’s Recommeded Parlay: Vannata (-180) and Gagnon (-170) at +147 1.4u to win 2.05u

Tokens
By The Numbers - UFC 206 Edition

Pounds or featherweight division that Max Holloway and Anthony Pettis will be competing for the interim UFC championship

Current ranking of Max Holloway as a UFC featherweight

Consecutive wins by “Blessed” inside the Octagon, tied for the 3rd longest active UFC win streak

Consecutive wins by Holloway as a UFC featherweight, longest win streak in the UFC/WEC featherweight division

Wins overall by Holloway as a UFC featherweight, 4th most win in UFC/WEC featherweight history

Significant strikes landed by Holloway as a UFC featherweight, most in UFC/WEC featherweight history

Significant strikes landed by Holloway inside the Octagon, 8th most in UFC history

Significant strikes landed per minute rate by Holloway, 3rd best rate in UFC/WEC featherweight history (min. 5 fights)

100+
Significant strikes landed by Holloway in four UFC featherweight bouts, most in UFC featherweight history

KO/TKOs by Holloway, tied for 4th most in UFC/wEC featherweight history

Finishes by Holloway as a UFC featherweight, tied for 3rd most in UFC/wEC featherweight history

Guillotine choke finishes by Holloway inside the Octagon against Cub Swanson and Andre Fili

Current ranking of Anthony Pettis as a UFC featherweight

Finishing rate percentage by “Showtime” inside the Octagon - 2 KO/TKOs and 3 subs - including his most recent third round guillotine choke of Charles Oliveira in August, Pettis’ featherweight debut

Finishing rate percentage by the final WEC lightweight champ and former UFC lightweight champ in UFC/WEC competition - 6 subs and 3 KO/TKOs

UFC event where Pettis submitted Benson Henderson at 4:41 in the first round to claim the UFC lightweight belt

UFC event where then UFC lightweight champion Pettis submitted Gilbert Melendez by guillotine choke in the second round, first fighter to ever finish Melendez

Submission wins by Pettis from bottom position in UFC/WEC competition, tied with Nate Diaz for most submission wins from bottom in UFC/WEC history

Seconds it took for Pettis to score a head kick KO of Danny Castillo at WEC 47 earning Knockout of the Night

Seconds it took for Pettis to score a head kick KO of Joe Lauzon at UFC 144 earning Knockout of the Night

Seconds it took for Pettis to score a body kick KO of Donald Cerrone at UFC on FOX: Johnson vs. Dodson earning Knockout of the Night

Post-fight bonuses by Showtime in UFC/WEC - 3x Knockout of the Night, 2x Submission of the Night, 1x Fight of the Night and 1x Performance of the Night

Times that Pettis has been finished across his 24 career bouts

Current ranking of Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone as a UFC welterweight

Consecutive wins, finishes and Performance of the Night bonuses by Cerrone as a UFC welterweight

UFC event where Cerrone, most recently, scored a second round knockout of Rick Story, first striking stoppage of Story across his 28 pro bouts including 19 inside the Octagon

Wins by Cerrone inside the Octagon, tied with Matt Hughes and Demian Maia for 3rd most in UFC history behind Georges St-Pierre’s 19 and current UFC middleweight champ Michael Bisping’s 20

Knockdowns by Cerrone inside the Octagon, tied with Junior Dos Santos and Conor McGregor for 6th most in UFC history

Finishes by Cerrone inside the Octagon (8 KO/TKOs, 4 subs), 5th most in UFC history

KO/TKOs by Cerrone stemming from kicks in UFC competition, tied Edson Barboza and Vitor Belfort for most knockouts via kick in UFC history

Leg kicks landed by Cerrone, most in UFC history

Significant strikes landed by Cerrone, 9th most in UFC history

Takedown defense percentage by Cerrone as a UFC lightweight, 2nd best in UFC lightweight history (min. 5 fights and 20 opp. att.)

Takedown defense percentage by Cerrone as a UFC welterweight, Cowboy has successfully defended 6 of 7 opponent attempts in three UFC bouts

Current ranking of Matt Brown as a UFC welterweight

Finishes by “The Immortal”, tied for 6th most in UFC history

KO/TKOs by Brown inside the Octagon, most in UFC welterweight history

3:24:52
Octagon time by Brown, 9th most in UFC welterweight history

Knockdowns landed by Brown, tied with current UFC welterweight champ Tyron Woodley for 7th most in UFC welterweight history

Significant strikes landed by Brown, 8th most in UFC welterweight history

Significant striking accuracy percentage by Brown, 2nd best in UFC welterweight history behind Ben Saunders’ 58.1% (min. 5 fights and 350 sig. att.)

Takedowns by Brown, 8th most among active UFC welterweights

Submission attempts by Brown, 2nd most in UFC welterweight history behind Chris Lytle’s 31

Tokens
Cub Swanson vs Doo Ho Choi full fight preview
from Andrew Richardson - MMA Mania

Cub Swanson

Record: 23-7

Key Wins: Jeremy Stephens (UFC Fight Night 44), Hacran Dias (UFC on FOX 19), Charles Oliveira (UFC 152)

Key Losses: Max Holloway (UFC on FOX 15), Frankie Edgar (UFC Fight Night 57). Ricardo Lamas (UFC on FOX 1)

Keys to Victory:

Swanson is a savvy veteran with sharp kickboxing and sneaky submission skills. There’s a reason that Swanson has been around the upper level of 145 lbs. for so long, and this match up will likely show much longer he has left.

He’ll need all that experience to take out a prospect like "The Korean Superboy."

One of the main things that Swanson has going for him here is that he’s also an excellent striker. Choi’s UFC opponents have either been brawlers or grapplers, impatiently racing into their style and running into his fist as a result. Luckily, Swanson is quite skilled from Choi’s range and doesn’t have to avoid it. Instead, Swanson can stay patient, rely on his movement and feints, and begin to read his opponent.

As the fight wears on, Swanson’s chances increase. At this point, Choi has only shown athleticism and a devastating right hand. That’s certainly a threat, but Swanson has been around long enough to diffuse that weapon and get his own offense going.

Doo Ho Choi

Record: 14-1

Key Wins: Thiago Tavares (TUF 23 Finale), Sam Sicilia (UFC Fight Night 79), Juan Puig (UFC Fight Night 57)

Key Losses: None

Keys to Victory:

Choi is a terrifyingly powerful kickboxer. The South Korean has plenty of size for his division and a dynamic right hand, which has helped him score 12 knockouts. A majority of them came in the very first round.

So far, Choi’s ability to react to aggressive sluggers has proven to be excellent. In his last bout, Choi’s takedown defense and scrambling skills were really tested for the first time, and again, he passed with flying colors.

Swanson is a much different opponent.

In this bout, Choi’s ability to knockout a fellow top striker will be challenged. Swanson will not make himself easy to hit, and Choi doesn’t have a ton of experience in fights that drag on past the opening frame. With that in mind, Choi needs to remain patient while focused on his game plan. If he works a consistent strategy of cutting off the cage and finding a home for his cross, his chances of success are pretty good regardless of whether he finds the finish. However, if Choi becomes frustrated or drawn out of his comfort zone, he’s going to have a very difficult time with the Swanson.

Bottom Line: It’s a really fun match up of veteran and prospect.

Swanson is not exactly in the immediate title picture right now, but his last two wins are definitely worth something. If he’s able to halt the hype train of Choi, that would be a third quality victory in a row. He won’t receive a title eliminator match or anything so dramatic, but he’ll be a relevant player once again.

On the other hand, a loss is really a sign that Swanson is no longer a top Featherweight. His two recent losses come to the absolute best, but Choi is far less proven. For Choi, this is the most high-profile and toughest fight of his career. Swanson has seen it all, and Choi has to find a way to win. It’s not a make-or-break moment, but it will determine whether Choi is ready for elite Featherweights at this point in his career.

With a win, Choi can keep climbing towards a title shot, and he’s not all that far off. However, a loss sets him back considerably, as he’ll have to compete with the other rising Featherweights looking to earn a big opportunity in a talent-rich division.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhy047
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com