Forum: College Football Forum - Sponsored by:

Thread: 2017 SEC Off-Season Thread

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. #126  
    avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,411
    Tennessee, eh? ok....

    Here’s the complete ESPN FPI Top 25:

    1. Ohio State
    2. Alabama
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Florida State
    5. Auburn
    6. LSU
    7. Clemson
    8. Penn State
    9. Washington
    10. Wisconsin
    11. Stanford
    12. USC
    13. Georgia
    14. Louisville
    15. Florida
    16. Miami
    17. Michigan
    18. TCU
    19. Tennessee
    20. Notre Dame
    21. Oregon
    22. NC State
    23. UCLA
    24. Texas
    25. Washington State

    Outside of the Top 25 from the SEC: No. 27 Texas A&M, No. 32 South Carolina, No. 33 Mississippi State, No. 34 Kentucky, No. 36 Arkansas, No. 38 Ole Miss, No. 41 Missouri, and finally No. 46 Vanderbilt.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #127  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Down on the farm
    Posts
    11,995
    FWIW: Conference breakdown of teams in the top fifteen: SEC- (5), Big-10-(3), Pac-12- (3), ACC, (3), Big 12. (1).

    The beat seems to be going on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #128  
    avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,411
    a couple of Saban notes from Bama's scrimmage:


    on Hurts: “I think he has a good understanding of what we’re doing and did a much better job in the pocket,” Saban said. “He did a really good job with the play-action passes.”


    on Daboll: "I thought the transition on offense was pretty smooth with the things we were doing, the carryover of things we've done from the past as well as the new things that we did,” Saban said. “I thought we were much more effective passing the football today. A lot of big plays, a lot of explosive plays throwing the ball, especially play-action passes. I think all the quarterbacks did a fairly good job and they all got a good opportunity.”


    on the WR's: “Calvin Ridley had a big day. I think he has like eight catches or something,” Saban said. “Robert (Foster) had three catches. T.J. Simmons had seven catches. The backs had quite a few catches. I was pleased with the receivers. I think that's one of the areas of concern where we need to make considerable improvement when I talk about consistency in performance. But most certainly, Calvin Ridley had a big day and Robert Foster was good."


    of course with great QB and WR stats comes some issues in the secondary....


    on the DB play: “I think a lot of the young players made a lot of mental errors, but that's OK. I think that's why we put them out there,” Saban said. “They'll learn from the mistakes that they made and we're going to have an opportunity to get some of those guys better. It's pretty obvious to me that we don't have enough respect for the deep part of the field in the back end, especially past the first team because we gave up quite a few explosive plays with the second and third secondary when they were in there.”
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #129  
    RX Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,497
    Florida spring game was uneventful. Franks looks like he'll win the job....unless Del Rio comes back in the picture. If the D stays healthy I think they'll, once again, carry the team.

    Next up, Michigan on September 2nd in Dallas.


    http://www.gatorsports.com/article/2...of-Trask-at-QB


    Florida’s Friday night under the lights turned out to be very revealing. Three items stuck out.

    Facts

    Up next

    What: AdvoCare Classic

    Who: Michigan vs. Florida

    When: Sept. 2

    Where: AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas


    One, Feleipe Franks has pulled ahead of Kyle Trask in the quarterback race and enters the offseason as the clear No. 1.
    Two, the Gators starters are clearly superior to the subs at this stage, as evidenced by the final score: Orange (starters) 31, Blue (backups) 0.
    Three, coach Jim McElwain is pleased with the direction this team appears to be heading following 15 spring practices.
    “We got better. We had a really good spring,” McElwain said. “The momentum we have taken just even from our bowl game, how our guys attacked Swamp Life. How they came back after spring break.
    “I’m excited about this team. I really like this team. I think we’re going to be all right. We had some good things happen tonight.”
    Earlier in the week, McElwain revealed that there has been separation in the quarterback competition, but did not say which one has pulled ahead.
    On Friday night, everyone in The Swamp (and watching on the SEC Network) saw that the guy is Franks.
    Working with the No. 1 offense for the entire first half, Franks was clearly the best quarterback on the field. He got off to a quick start with a 46-yard strike to wide receiver Josh Hammond and kind of took it from there, completing eight of 14 passes for 119 yards and a touchdown and then sat out the second half.
    “He did all right,” McElwain said. “He’s ahead.”
    Franks showed poise Friday night. And it appears he’ll keep it as he moves forward in the competition for the starting role, which, of course, is not over.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #130  
    RX Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,497
    NCAA votes on the 10th assistant this week:

    http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=...ever-it-starts



    How schools have prepared for a 10th assistant coach — whenever it starts

    Posted by: Chris Vannini on Friday April 07, 2017
    Tweet (1)

    Email (0)

    Print


    One of the biggest changes to the college coaching profession is likely coming within a week — the addition of a 10th full-time assistant coach.


    From April 13-14, the NCAA Division I Council will meet to vote on several big changes, including an early signing period, more satellite camp restrictions and individuals associated with a prospect. But the 10th assistant coach in FBS would greatly change how staffs function.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #131  
    RX Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,497
    With six spring scrimmages in the books, here are the attendance figures from each school (listed alphabetically).
    Auburn: 46,331
    Florida: 48,000
    Mississippi State: 16,630
    Ole Miss: 8,000
    South Carolina: 12,345
    Texas A&M: 21,000
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #132  
    avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,411
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachCB View Post
    Florida spring game was uneventful. Franks looks like he'll win the job....unless Del Rio comes back in the picture. If the D stays healthy I think they'll, once again, carry the team.



    watched some of it. thought Franks had his moments...made some really nice throws but some real stinkers too. Run game looked real decent and Callaway looked ready for SEC 1st team level of play if someone can throw him the ball.


    the backup (Trask, Trast...something like this) was so freaking awful. no internal clock at all. would have taken about 14 sacks in a real game. yikes


    funny how many times your analyst called Feleipe Franks, ahemm, Feleipe Franco.

    Michigan opened -3 at Westgate ... that game could set college football back 50 years offensively
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #133  
    RX Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,497
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    watched some of it. thought Franks had his moments...made some really nice throws but some real stinkers too. Run game looked real decent and Callaway looked ready for SEC 1st team level of play if someone can throw him the ball.


    the backup (Trask, Trast...something like this) was so freaking awful. no internal clock at all. would have taken about 14 sacks in a real game. yikes


    funny how many times your analyst called Feleipe Franks, ahemm, Feleipe Franco.

    Michigan opened -3 at Westgate ... that game could set college football back 50 years offensively
    Honestly, if McElwain doesn't get the offense turned around this season (it's been ranked worse than ANY of Muschamp's offenses at UF; how is that even possible?). I'd like to see him dismissed. But they're not going to can him after 3 years, after winning the East twice (although winning the East is like being the smartest retard these days). Unless he loses 5 or more games in ugly fashion I see him getting another year. If Franks isn't the answer, or if he starts Del Rio, he might as well pack his bags.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #134  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    wrong again, deadlast.


    Everyone is expecting the new 10-coach rule to go into effect in April meeting so if Saban brings Werner on now as an analyst he can slide him into that 10th coaching slot for 2017 before Werner becomes a hot commodity. good try, though...way to come up big. let me know when you get something right
    Thought I'd let you know I got something right - Approved earlier today, Football Bowl Subdivision schools can hire a 10th assistant coach (effective Jan. 9, 2018).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #135  
    avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,411
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadLast View Post
    Thought I'd let you know I got something right - Approved earlier today, Football Bowl Subdivision schools can hire a 10th assistant coach (effective Jan. 9, 2018).
    congratulations...mommy's boy is all grows up
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #136  
    avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,411
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachCB View Post
    Honestly, if McElwain doesn't get the offense turned around this season (it's been ranked worse than ANY of Muschamp's offenses at UF; how is that even possible?). I'd like to see him dismissed. But they're not going to can him after 3 years, after winning the East twice (although winning the East is like being the smartest retard these days). Unless he loses 5 or more games in ugly fashion I see him getting another year. If Franks isn't the answer, or if he starts Del Rio, he might as well pack his bags.
    yeah, tough spot. Don't think any Florida fan sees a real foundation in place for improvement but schedule should not allow for a 6-6 year that would make sense to fire him and Nuss. 7 home games, 2 neutral, and only 3 true away (all winnable = at UK, at USCe, at Missouri) has to be good enough for 8 wins
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #137  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Roll Tide
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachCB View Post
    Honestly, if McElwain doesn't get the offense turned around this season (it's been ranked worse than ANY of Muschamp's offenses at UF; how is that even possible?). I'd like to see him dismissed. But they're not going to can him after 3 years, after winning the East twice (although winning the East is like being the smartest retard these days). Unless he loses 5 or more games in ugly fashion I see him getting another year. If Franks isn't the answer, or if he starts Del Rio, he might as well pack his bags.
    Coach, not telling you anything you don't already know but the Defense carried the Gators the past two years. Now here's the rub for the coming season. The Defense lost three-quarters of its starting D-Line, all three linebackers, and two lock down corners. The defense will have a hard time covering for an offense that has ranked 99th and 107th in points per game the last two seasons when you consider no idea who the QB will be and no defined playmakers. Because of McElwain's spotty recruiting, I question the talent level on this team.

    The light at the end of the tunnel is the schedule. Eight games will be played in the state of Florida. Seven home games and Georgia in Jacksonville. The Gators could easily be 1-2 after three games. We shall see my friend!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #138  
    RX Wizard Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    7,216
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachCB View Post
    With six spring scrimmages in the books, here are the attendance figures from each school (listed alphabetically).
    Auburn: 46,331
    Florida: 48,000
    Mississippi State: 16,630
    Ole Miss: 8,000
    South Carolina: 12,345
    Texas A&M: 21,000

    Ole Miss.....lol.....the wheels are falling off.
    Donít drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #139  
    avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,411
    my o/u for A-Day attendance is 77k...don't think we will surpass the Buckeyes this year
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #140  
    avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,411
    don't agree with all of what is written in here but it is one writer's take on how the new rule changes affect SEC....

    one thing that isn't made clear below is that there is NO REASON a high school coach cannot join a FBS program as one of the 9 (soon to be 10) ON-FIELD full time coaches. It only prohibits them from moving into an off-field administrative or analyst role. Hiring a high school coach to be your LB coach, for instance, is completely fine but hiring them to be an offensive analyst will not fly.

    https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-f...a-rule-changes

    Early signing day (pending conference commissioner approval)

    On the surface, this feels like a win for recruits who know where they’re going to college — assuming they’re committed to a program with stability. The addition of a Dec. 20 National Signing Day, in addition to the one that already exists in early February, allows prospects to officially end their recruitment about six weeks earlier than they could have under the old system.
    With just about three weeks between the end of the regular season and the early signing day, things could get chaotic for schools that fire coaches, or lose them to other job opportunities. This could result in more firings taking place in November, as the season winds down, as opposed to the first week of December. But you never really know how often that’ll happen in practice.
    The early date would more likely affect coordinators and position coaches who find themselves on the move in December and early January.
    High school players still weighing their options can still choose to delay signing a letter of intent until Feb. 1 as they could before. There’s technically nothing forcing prospects, but as we know, coaches can and certainly do put pressure on kids to make their decision when it best suits the school.
    One can only assume that a handful of the country’s top prospects who don’t enroll early would choose to sign on Dec. 20. That obviously takes some of the drama out of January and February. Sorry, recruiting fanatics, but the day-long frenzy of signing day will be diluted from here on out.
    As many have noted, this sweeping shift in the college football recruiting model will not take effect until the Collegiate Commissioners Association vote in favor of the changes in June. It’d be pretty surprising if that didn’t happen, though.
    Early official visits

    To compensate for an early signing period, the NCAA now allows juniors to take official visits between April 1 and the last Wednesday in June. The OVs cannot coincide with their participation in a school camp or clinic. Before, players couldn’t officially visit campuses until Sept. 1 of their senior year.
    Some around SEC territory, such as Arkansas coach Bret Beliema, weren’t fans of this rule; some folks up north believed the SEC was trying to protect its recruiting turf by fighting the rule, which would ostensibly allow kids to visit places like Michigan and Ohio State when their schedules aren’t consumed by football season.
    With an early signing date likely in place, however, adding early official visits makes a ton of sense and should in theory help both coaches and recruits get to know each other sooner.
    Close associates

    FBS schools cannot hire “people close to a prospective student-athlete” in the two years before or after he expects to enroll.
    Ole Miss, for instance, hired Shea Patterson’s older brother Sean as an off-field analyst while Patterson was committed to the Rebels. Under the new rules, that hire would not be allowed.
    The rule most affects high school coaches trying to make a jump to the college ranks, especially those who coach at schools that produce a high number of big-time prospects. Guys like Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt and Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee fall under this umbrella. So high school coaches will have a much, much tougher time jumping right to the FBS level. But there’s nothing stopping them from following the career arc of Phil Longo, who jumped from high school to D-III, then FCS and finally the SEC.
    A 10th on-field coach

    This change is the simplest, and maybe the most-needed. Alabama and other SEC schools have begun hoarding analysts and other off-field staffers to help out assistant coaches, whose workloads have grown by leaps and bounds as recruiting becomes a year-round task.
    Recruiting should be the focal point for just about every team hiring that 10th assistant, too, because of how time-consuming it tends to be. As for how schools choose to shuffle the on-field coaching duties, you’ll probably see more special teams coordinators or defensive assistants split between cornerbacks/safeties and, in 3-4 schemes, outside/inside linebackers.
    So long, satellite camps and two-a-days

    The SEC finally wins its battle with Jim Harbaugh over the contentious issue of satellite camps, which quickly became the hot topic of the summer last year. The new rule requires that camps “take place on a school’s campus” or in facilities regularly used by the football program.
    In addition, the camps and clinics are now officially limited to 10 days in June and/or July.
    So the NCAA rightfully nipped this one in the bud before it got out of control — because you know everything related to football recruiting naturally trends in that direction. Coaching staffs get to keep what little summer downtime they have, too.
    As for two-a-day practices:

    • “A single day may include a single, three-hour, on-field practice session and a walk-through”
    • “Three continuous hours of recovery are required between on-field practice and a walk-through”
    • “Activities such as meetings, film review, medical treatment and meals are allowed during recovery time

    Old-school football fans and coaches probably don’t like this change. Given the legitimate health and safety concerns, however, it’s not hard to see why the NCAA passed this rule.
    Bottom line

    The NCAA’s changes are significant, to be sure. But unless you’re a high school coach or a die-hard follower of the recruiting world, you probably won’t notice much difference outside of the early signing day.
    Maybe the new rules make it easier for Southern football recruits to visit the Michigans, Ohio States and West Coast powers of the world. But let’s be real: The players those programs tend to target are elite, and the truly top-notch recruits with the most to gain make time to visit wherever they want regardless.
    There is so much talent in SEC recruiting territory that, frankly, it’s surprising more don’t venture outside the region on the simple basis of opportunity. Recruits and coaches are drawn to SEC schools because of the league’s proud reputation. Will spring visits to Ann Arbor really change that? I think not.
    The only true change we can expect — between the coaching carousel and the anticipation leading up to the early signing date — is a potentially very chaotic December in the days and weeks before Christmas.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #141  
    avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,411
    View image on Twitter



    Follow

    NCAA Research
    @NCAAResearch


    States w/ highest % of HS football players recruited by a DI school:
    1. Florida
    2. Georgia
    3. Louisiana
    4-8. (DC), MD, TN, SC, NC



    The top recruiting states for college football can be evaluated a few different ways, but percentage-wise, the top three states all sit in SEC territory.
    According to NCAA Research, Florida has a higher percentage of high school players recruited by Division I programs (9.9 percent) than any other state in the U.S. Georgia is second at 8.6 percent, and Louisiana is third at 8.1 percent.


    At 9.9 percent, almost one out of every 10 high school players in Florida make it to a D-I program. That’s more than twice the rate for players in California (3.5 percent) and more than three times the rate in Texas (2.7 percent).


    Georgia and Louisiana aren’t far behind. And unlike the Gators, who inevitably share in-state recruits with two other Power 5 programs in Florida State and Miami, Georgia and LSU get a bigger share of the pie in their respective states. The Bulldogs only have one other Power 5 program in the state in Georgia Tech. LSU is the only Power 5 program in Louisiana.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #142  
    RX Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,497
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    Coach, not telling you anything you don't already know but the Defense carried the Gators the past two years. Now here's the rub for the coming season. The Defense lost three-quarters of its starting D-Line, all three linebackers, and two lock down corners. The defense will have a hard time covering for an offense that has ranked 99th and 107th in points per game the last two seasons when you consider no idea who the QB will be and no defined playmakers. Because of McElwain's spotty recruiting, I question the talent level on this team.

    The light at the end of the tunnel is the schedule. Eight games will be played in the state of Florida. Seven home games and Georgia in Jacksonville. The Gators could easily be 1-2 after three games. We shall see my friend!
    CL, glad to see you posting!

    I'm not too concerned w/ the defense. Very thin w/ experience at DT. Other than that, should be good. UF had a TON of injuries last year. There won't be a single starter on D that hasn't started at least 1 football game in their careers. 2 of the 3 LBs that started the bowl game are back, Dawson moves to CB and Gardner starts at the other (both started 4+ games last year), Bryan & Clark have 7 combined starts at DT, Jefferson & Sherit are solid at DT, and both Safties return.

    The big questions are on O...especially at QB. Honestly, if Del Rio is healthy I won't be shocked if he starts this year. I'd prefer Franks start and we take some lumps, building for 2019. The OL is finally a strength (I hope) w/ 4 returning starters and good depth. Good WR depth and good RB depth chart. If the OL shits the bed, it's going to be trouble. If the QB shits the bed, same.

    This is a big year for McElwain!

    Now, tell me about Bama. Do they beat FSU? I loath FSU!!! But they are returning a hell of a team. Cowherd keeps touting them as the best team in the country.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #143  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    View image on Twitter



    Follow

    NCAA Research
    @NCAAResearch


    States w/ highest % of HS football players recruited by a DI school:
    1. Florida
    2. Georgia
    3. Louisiana
    4-8. (DC), MD, TN, SC, NC



    The top recruiting states for college football can be evaluated a few different ways, but percentage-wise, the top three states all sit in SEC territory.
    According to NCAA Research, Florida has a higher percentage of high school players recruited by Division I programs (9.9 percent) than any other state in the U.S. Georgia is second at 8.6 percent, and Louisiana is third at 8.1 percent.


    At 9.9 percent, almost one out of every 10 high school players in Florida make it to a D-I program. That’s more than twice the rate for players in California (3.5 percent) and more than three times the rate in Texas (2.7 percent).


    Georgia and Louisiana aren’t far behind. And unlike the Gators, who inevitably share in-state recruits with two other Power 5 programs in Florida State and Miami, Georgia and LSU get a bigger share of the pie in their respective states. The Bulldogs only have one other Power 5 program in the state in Georgia Tech. LSU is the only Power 5 program in Louisiana.
    Thanks for posting rt. Interesting numbers.

    I think these numbers validate just how much UGA has underachieved the last 30 plus years. Not only has UGA never played in a championship game during the BCS and CFP eras, they have only won the SEC twice the last 34 years. That is unfathomable with the talent that state produces.

    Richt had a reputation for recruiting well in state but was that reputation justified? Smart did a fantastic job keeping local talent in state last year but will it continue? Rivals rank 11 kids from Ga in their top 87 this year. So far only 1 of those kids have committed to Ga. Clemson has 2, Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame have one each. It should be noted, the lone Ga commit (Z McClain) was not offered by bama or AU.

    Mike Farrell, Rival's recruiting director, did a piece this week about out of state schools raiding Ga for top recruits. Between 2012 and 2017, Ga signed 47 four and five star kids. That sounds impressive until you dig deeper. During this time frame, AU signed 20, S Carolina signed 19 (that number surprised me), Clemson signed 13, Tenn signed 12 and bama signed 11. It should also be noted that LSU, Ole Miss, N Car, Fla, FSU, Louisville, Ohio State, Stanford and USC have signed 3 or more. Side note, Ga Tech signed one.

    A few key players Ga lost to out of state schools: Deshaun Watson, Kenyan Drake, Robert Nkemdiche, Arden Key, Derrick Brown, Mike Davis, Mitch Hyatt and Austin Bryant. The list goes on and on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #144  
    avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,411
    oh Kirby, WTF are you doing? :(

    https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ge...ut-permission/

    Kirby has now gone full Gestapo mode and will only allow media members to UGA practices if they agree to check with him before they write anything about player injuries

    In a move that has received some eye-rolling from those in the media, Georgia head coach Kirby Smart is silencing the media when it comes to breaking injury news.

    The reason for the ban likely stems from reports regarding a practice injury to freshman defensive back Deangelo Gibbs last week. Smart expressed his frustration with the fact that word got out before he had a chance to respond to the news.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #145  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Roll Tide
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachCB View Post
    CL, glad to see you posting!

    I'm not too concerned w/ the defense. Very thin w/ experience at DT. Other than that, should be good. UF had a TON of injuries last year. There won't be a single starter on D that hasn't started at least 1 football game in their careers. 2 of the 3 LBs that started the bowl game are back, Dawson moves to CB and Gardner starts at the other (both started 4+ games last year), Bryan & Clark have 7 combined starts at DT, Jefferson & Sherit are solid at DT, and both Safties return.

    The big questions are on O...especially at QB. Honestly, if Del Rio is healthy I won't be shocked if he starts this year. I'd prefer Franks start and we take some lumps, building for 2019. The OL is finally a strength (I hope) w/ 4 returning starters and good depth. Good WR depth and good RB depth chart. If the OL shits the bed, it's going to be trouble. If the QB shits the bed, same.

    This is a big year for McElwain!

    Now, tell me about Bama. Do they beat FSU? I loath FSU!!! But they are returning a hell of a team. Cowherd keeps touting them as the best team in the country.
    Coach, Mac AIN'T in trouble with ANY of the decision makers at the University of Florida. Fans....Yes, because of the lack of offense production....but hard to argue with two SEC East championships. I don't have a ton of confidence in the offense this season but can't get much worse than what we've seen the past couple of years.

    As far as Bama and FSU....I kinda of join my friend Walter Tibbs at another forum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #146  
    avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,411
    Lots of SEC West at the top of the preseason Hot Seat list, http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm


    1) Freeze 4.5M
    4) Sumlin 5.25M
    7) Bielema 4.2M
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #147  
    avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,411
    for CoachCB ... will be interesting to see how Florida handles their 2018 QB recruiting situation because there is a path in place for them to screw themselves. They have a 4-star from Orlando, Joe Milton, that is a lifelong Gators fan and wants to be in Gainesville next year but Gators are slow-playing him because they really want Justin Fields. now Jimmy Harbaugh is putting full-court press for Milton and State Penn is all-in on Fields. They miss on both of them because of prioritizing Fields and this QB issue can go on for quite a while. Really need Franks to produce....

    quite a big disparity b/w recruiting services on Fields. ESPN has him 4th overall recruit and Rivals has him outside the top 100
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #148  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    for CoachCB ... will be interesting to see how Florida handles their 2018 QB recruiting situation because there is a path in place for them to screw themselves. They have a 4-star from Orlando, Joe Milton, that is a lifelong Gators fan and wants to be in Gainesville next year but Gators are slow-playing him because they really want Justin Fields. now Jimmy Harbaugh is putting full-court press for Milton and State Penn is all-in on Fields. They miss on both of them because of prioritizing Fields and this QB issue can go on for quite a while. Really need Franks to produce....

    quite a big disparity b/w recruiting services on Fields. ESPN has him 4th overall recruit and Rivals has him outside the top 100
    Rivals had an update on Milton this morning. CoachCB may (or may not) enjoy their take.

    Hopefully the link works for everyone. It is a free article so it should be accessible to all.

    https://n.rivals.com/news/making-the-case-wolverines-dawgs-or-gators-for-milton-
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #149  
    RX Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,497
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    Coach, Mac AIN'T in trouble with ANY of the decision makers at the University of Florida. Fans....Yes, because of the lack of offense production....but hard to argue with two SEC East championships. I don't have a ton of confidence in the offense this season but can't get much worse than what we've seen the past couple of years.

    As far as Bama and FSU....I kinda of join my friend Walter Tibbs at another forum.
    CL, I think if he goes worse than 7-5 he's in trouble this year....sadly (losing 5 games - which would be 13 losses in 3 years - is inexcusable at UF). Winning the SEC East, right now, is like being the smartest retard. There is nothing impressive w/ "winning" the East...especially when you get blown out in the SECCG.

    He's lost 8 games at UF and they have all been by blowouts. The Tennessee game was a 10 point loss, but after going up 21-0 they gave up 35 unanswered.....then score an oh, by the way TD to make it a 10 point game.

    He needs to get that offense fixed, because the D can't keep carrying the team. The fact he's going after the ND transfer QB doesn't make things look good. I think they should play Franks and take some lumps (like UGA, FSU, and Bama did last year).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #150  
    RX Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,497
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    for CoachCB ... will be interesting to see how Florida handles their 2018 QB recruiting situation because there is a path in place for them to screw themselves. They have a 4-star from Orlando, Joe Milton, that is a lifelong Gators fan and wants to be in Gainesville next year but Gators are slow-playing him because they really want Justin Fields. now Jimmy Harbaugh is putting full-court press for Milton and State Penn is all-in on Fields. They miss on both of them because of prioritizing Fields and this QB issue can go on for quite a while. Really need Franks to produce....

    quite a big disparity b/w recruiting services on Fields. ESPN has him 4th overall recruit and Rivals has him outside the top 100
    Take a look at Milton's HS stats. They terrible. He's completed less than 50% of his passes (as a HS QB). From what I'm hearing, the staff wants Fields or the kid committed to Kentucky (Jarren Williams, I think). They want to see Milton in camp and evaluate him further, as they are not sold.

    My issue w/ it is that in today's recruiting you need to get on a QB fast! The top QBs usually commit early. One of McElwain's problems is that he's been late offering certain kids....and that sours them on UF. He's done a mediocre - at best - job on the recruiting trail.

    I'm not sure what's up w/ Fields (and why in the hell he'd want to go to Penn State). But if UF has a bad year the writing could be on the wall and only a matter of time before McElwain gets the boot.

    IMO, I just don't think McElwain has "it". He doesn't have the intensity that's needed to win at a high level. I hope I'm wrong, but there are too many examples of his half-ass "aw-shucks" attitude and failure on the field.

    Again, if the O doesn't get fixed this year....he's done.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •