Any one else remember Paul Davis. 9 years ago today.

Search

Banned
Tokens
[h=1]Paul Davis (singer)[/h]
For other people named Paul Davis, see Paul Davis (disambiguation).
Paul Davis
Birth namePaul Lavon Davis
BornApril 21, 1948
Meridian, Mississippi, U.S.
DiedApril 22, 2008 (aged 60)
Meridian, Mississippi, U.S.
GenresBlue-eyed soul, country, pop rock, soft rock
Occupation(s)Singer-songwriter
InstrumentsVocals, keyboards, piano
Years active1958-1987 (retired), 1988 [SUP][1][/SUP]
LabelsBang, Arista
Associated actsTanya Tucker, Paul Overstreet, Marie Osmond, Dan Seals

<tbody style="font-size: 14px; display: table-row-group; ">
</tbody>
Paul Lavon Davis (April 21, 1948 – April 22, 2008) was an American singer and songwriter, best known for his radio hits and solo career which started worldwide in 1970. His career encompassed soul,country, and pop music. Typically, the slower the tempo of a Davis record, the longer it took to reach its peak position. His most successful songs are 1977's "I Go Crazy", a #7 pop hit which once held the record for the longest chart run on the BillboardHot 100, and 1982's "'65 Love Affair", which at #6 is his highest-charting single. In the mid-1980s, he also had two country #1 hits as a guest vocalist on songs by Marie Osmond and Tanya Tucker.

[h=2]CareerEdit[/h]Paul Davis was a member of a local group called the Six Soul Survivors around 1966 and later in another group called the Endless Chain. In 1968 he was a writer for Malaco Records, based in Jackson, Mississippi. Ilene Berns, widow of Bert Berns, signed Davis to Bang Records in 1969, and in 1970, released a cover version of The Jarmels' hit "A Little Bit of Soap", reaching #52 on the Billboard pop chart. His first album, A Little Bit of Paul Davis, was released in 1970. In 1974, he recorded his third album, Ride 'Em Cowboy, and the title track, his first top 40 single, peaked at #23 on January 18, 1975. (The same song became a Top 40 Country hit for Juice Newton in 1984.) Davis also reached #35 in September 1976 with "Superstar", a tribute song not related to any of the 1971 hits by that name.
Davis had his first American Top 10 single with the ballad "I Go Crazy," which after 30 weeks on the Hot 100 peaked at #7 on March 18, 1978. "I Go Crazy" spent 40 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, which at the time set the record for most weeks on the chart. The follow-up, "Sweet Life", also did well, peaking at #17. He peaked at #23 with the gospel-tinged "Do Right" on May 17, 1980. He was active on Bang Records when the label folded in the early 1980s.[SUP][2][/SUP]
After one more album on the Bang label, Davis signed with Arista Records in 1981 and scored two more hits, "Cool Night" (which in February 1982 reached #11 on the Hot 100 and #2 on the Adult Contemporary chart) and "'65 Love Affair" (a Top 10 hit on both charts). His Arista debut album spawned a third hit with a remake of "Love or Let Me Be Lonely". The single contained a third verse of music which was not included on the album version, and despite its Top 40 and AC success, had never been reissued on any CD release until Wounded Bird reissued the Best of Paul Davis compilation in 2011. Davis retired from making records for a time, except for two duets that went to #1 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart. The first was in 1986 with Marie Osmond singing "You're Still New to Me"; while the second, in 1988, was a collaboration with Tanya Tucker and Paul Overstreet singing "I Won't Take Less Than Your Love". Davis also wrote "Meet Me in Montana", which his friend Dan Seals and Osmond took to #1 on the Billboard country chart in 1985, and "Bop", a solo #1 country hit for Seals in early 1986. Davis recorded a duet with Marsha Morgan called "Looking for a Light" which was well received regionally in the southeast. Davis was not touring at the time, and it was generally thought that had he been touring and still supported by a record label, the song could have been a national hit.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Before his death on April 22, 2008 (one day after his 60th birthday), Davis had returned to singing and songwriting by recording two songs, "You Ain't Sweet Enough" and "Today". They have not been released.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] Through the years, Davis was heavily influenced by technology. He owned numerous synthesizers and spent a great majority of his spare time at his home composing music that he hoped would be used in future films. Additionally, Davis was very versatile with sampling and using the Synclavier and Fairlight CMI.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Many of his songs, including his best known hits, are owned by Paul McCartney through his MPL Publishing company.

[h=2]Personal life[/h]Paul Davis survived a shooting in Nashville, Tennessee on July 29, 1986. He was leaving a hotel on Music Row with a female companion when an unidentified man walked up, demanded his wallet, and shot him in the abdomen.[SUP][3][/SUP]
He died from a heart attack at the Rush Foundation Hospital in Meridian, Mississippi, a day after turning 60.[SUP][4][/SUP]
Country music singer Charly McClain's song, "Best That Never Was", was specially written and dedicated to Davis on her 1983 album Paradise.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Davis was an avid golfer.[SUP][5][/SUP]
His father was a preacher.[SUP][6][/SUP]
Davis was also an avid billiards enthusiast. As a member of Music City Amateur Billiard Tour in Nashville, he was competitive in the late 1990s.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]

[h=2]Discography[/h][h=3]Albums[/h]
YearAlbumPeak chart positions
<small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">US</small><small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">US Country</small><small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">CAN</small>
1970A Little Bit of Paul Davis
1972Paul Davis
1974Ride 'Em Cowboy14819
1976Southern Tracks & Fantasies
1977Singer of Songs: Teller of Tales8277
1980Paul Davis173
1981Cool Night52
1982The Best of Paul Davis
1993Very Best of Paul Davis -- I Go Crazy
1995Greatest Hits
1999Sweet Life: His Greatest Hit Singles
2008Super Hits
2011The Best of Paul Davis (expanded version of 1982 LP)
2015The Very Best of Paul Davis (Varese Sarabande compilation)

<tbody style="font-size: 16px; display: table-row-group; ">
</tbody>
NOTE: All albums are available in CD format
[h=3]Singles[/h]
YearSinglePeak chart positionsAlbum
<small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">US</small><small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">US AC</small><small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">US
Country
</small>
<small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">CA</small><small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">CA AC</small><small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">AU</small>
1970"A Little Bit of Soap"52276016A Little Bit of Paul Davis
"I Just Wanna Keep It Together"51343847
"Can't You"[SUP][7][/SUP]118Single only
1973"Boogie Woogie Man"68Paul Davis
1974"Ride 'Em Cowboy"2344730649Ride 'Em Cowboy
1975"Keep Our Love Alive"90Single only
1976"Thinking of You"4531Southern Tracks & Fantasies
"Superstar"353153
1977"I Go Crazy"725462Singer of Songs - Teller of Tales
1978"Darlin'" <small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">(with Susan Collins)</small>5137
"Sweet Life"1778515
1980"Do Right"23464Paul Davis
"Cry Just a Little"7836
1981"Cool Night"1123478Cool Night
1982"'65 Love Affair"651171
"Love or Let Me Be Lonely"4011

</tbody>
[h=3]Guest singles[/h]
YearSingleArtistPeak positionsAlbum
<small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">US Country</small><small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">CAN Country</small>
1986"You're Still New to Me"Marie Osmond11I Only Wanted You
1988"I Won't Take Less Than Your Love"Tanya Tucker
<small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">(with Paul Overstreet)</small>
110Love Me Like You Used To
"Sweet Life" <small style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">(re-recording)</small>Marie Osmond4755All in Love

</tbody>
[h=3]Soundtrack appearances[/h]
YearSongSoundtrackAdditional information
1984"(It Takes) Two to Tango"The Karate Kid-
1986"If We Can Get Through The Night"About Last Night...-

</tbody>

[h=2]See also[/h]
  • 16px-Open_book_nae_02.svg.png
    Paul DavisWikipedia book

[h=2]References[/h]
  • ^ [1][SUP][dead link][/SUP]
  • ^ Joel Whitburn Presents: The Billboard Hot 100 charts, The Seventies; Joel Whitburn's Top Pop singles: 1955-2010
  • ^ "Gainesville Sun" newspaper article at the Google News Archive"Merced Sun-Star" newspaper article at the Google News Archive
  • ^ <cite class="citation news" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">Livingston, Brian (23 April 2008). "Recording star Paul Davis dies Tuesday at age 60". The Meridian Star. Retrieved 3 May 2014.</cite>
  • ^ <cite class="citation web" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">Chris Brennaman (2008-04-22). "Remembering Paul Davis". Wtok.com. Retrieved 2014-06-25.</cite>
  • ^ Casey Kasem, "American Top 40", 21 January 1978
  • ^ <cite class="citation web" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">"Paul Davis (3) - Can't You (Vinyl)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-10-12.</cite>

[h=2]External links[/h]

<footer style="border-top-style: solid; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-color: rgb(200, 204, 209); overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; padding-bottom: 6px; ">

</footer>

Banned
Tokens
I go crazy. Still love that song. Sooooo good. I guess no one here is 51 years old.

Handicapper
Tokens
dcddf4cf267c4948c91be474e06c0d0c.jpg

Handicapper
Tokens

Banned
Tokens
Yeah, "I Go Crazy" was among my very most favorite songs as a kid. So much so that it was the song I chose to sing in the school talent show. Mr Rail, the English Teacher, let me use his own personal Microphone bcuz he was an Audiophile and he also loved the song and felt it should be performed on a Top Quality Microphone.

It was such an emotional and heart-wrenching song to do that by the end I was so moved onstage that I actually did the very first Mic Drop, in all of human history. That was in 1978. Its probably logged somewhere: Officially Recognized as The First Mic Drop. Wherever such things are kept track of.

Mr Rail was sooooooooo mad. He was livid. Completely Enraged. Which was remarkable cuz he was, like, a Buddhist-like guy. Never got upset about anything.

Except for then. Cuz it did break the Microphone.

Here 39 years later I am STILL dealing with Karmic debt for that. Microphone. Either that or Mr. Rail put a curse on me.

I don't think Buddhist People put curses on people though so....I really don't know but yeah: damn did I love that song.

It was, apparently, a very delicate and expensive microphone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com