Political Polarization -‘We’ve Already Gone Over The Cliff Heading For Rock Bottom’ And ‘Our People Have All The Guns’

Search

Rx Normal
Tokens
Myra Adams: Political Polarization -‘We’ve Already Gone Over The Cliff Heading For Rock Bottom’ And ‘Our People Have All The Guns’

DIARY / MYRA ADAMS // Posted at 4:49 pm on May 25, 2017 by Myra Adams

It was eighth grade when I remember learning about the Civil War at my suburban Boston junior high school. The year was 1969, and the increasingly unpopular Vietnam War was raging — triggering angry protests across the nation. But even while watching all the current strife on the nightly news, I was still unable to fully grasp how political passions had managed to escalate into a domestic war where 750,000 American men killed each other on bloody battlefields.

But now I do — as extreme polarization engulfs our nation.

For example, recently I received an email from a passionate Trump supporter commenting on my RedState piece about why Democrats are likely to use impeachment as their 2018 midterm election message. He wrote, “If Trump were to be impeached it would spark a new Civil War with blood in the streets.”

Moreover, a Republican consultant (name asked to be withheld) texted me predicting, “If Democrats try to remove Trump, there will be violence.”

Both of those comments reminded me of my recent conversation with “a proud American deplorable” about the prospects of impeachment. He is a rabid Trump supporter and confidently bragged, “Bring it on, our people have all the guns.”

It now appears that Americans are more politically engaged and everyone is outraged. Trump haters want the president impeached while Trump lovers blame the media for trying to bring down their man. It is a perfect storm of political polarization.

Apparently, all this extreme polarization is negatively impacting love relationships as I read recently in a Washington Examiner column by Paul Bedard headlined:

“Fights over Trump drive couples, especially millennials, to split up.”

Couples are fighting over President Trump more than ever, and many are turning to divorce court to get out of their politically ravaged marriages.

New data from Wakefield Research found that one in 10 couples, married and not, have ended their relationships in a battle over political differences. For younger millennials, it’s 22 percent.

And nearly one in three Americans said that political clashes over Trump have ‘had a negative impact on their relationship.’

And for every romantic relationship negatively impacted by Trump, there are millions more strained friendships and family feuds sparked by the hostile partisan political environment.

Addressing this growing problem was an opinion column by Carlo Baldino in the Worchester, Mass. Telegram headlined:

“Friendships and family relationships destroyed by Donald Trump.”

Baldino, (a leftist based on his bio) wrote the following paragraph to which I take umbrage, where he inadvertently summarizes why Americans are so polarized:

We thought we knew our friends and family members. We didn’t know they harbored such hatred in their hearts. We realized it had always been there, stewing silently. Donald Trump emboldened them to show us what they really thought about issues, their perception of America as it is, and how they wanted it to be.

The sad reality is half of Americans actually think like Baldino, leaving the other half enraged by such nasty, generalizations emanating from supposedly educated elites.

I asked Roger Stone — the controversial political pundit, author, and longtime former associate of President Trump — to comment on the current state of American polarization, and his words were not comforting. Stone said he “doubts the country can ever be homogeneous because more people are at the extremes than ever before.” Then added, “The media feeds polarization.”

Unfortunately, that media-fed polarization is causing even the proverbial “silent majority” to choose sides because what was once safe and quiet middle ground has dissolved into mush, devoid of any political meaning.

These days, even playgrounds are politically polarizing!

Last week, a liberal family member living in central California recently posted this message on Facebook:

At the playground today a 10-year-old Hispanic boy insulted a blonde white girl by calling her a Donald Trump lover, think on that for a bit.

After witnessing that exchange on his child’s playground, even HE was dismayed.

So how does extreme polarization eventually diffuse itself? Is that even possible? Is our nation careening toward an “uncivil war” where red vs. blue is the new blue vs. gray?

I posed those questions to Mark McKinnon; a veteran presidential GOP strategist turned media pundit. Throughout 2016 and up until early May, he took the pulse of the nation while co-producing and co-hosting “The Circus” — Showtime’s hit documentary series that chronicled the presidential campaign and Trump’s first 100 days.

While expecting optimism, McKinnon’s answer was foreboding, “Apparently we’re going to have to hit rock bottom, but we’ve already gone over the cliff, so maybe we’re getting close. ”

My question is, “How do we know when we’ve hit rock bottom and will there be any rope to climb back up?”

But remember when we do hit “rock bottom,” according to a Trump supporter, “our people have all the guns.”

That inflammatory statement (which I have heard voiced numerous times lately) reflects a hardened polarized attitude that is worrisome, dangerous, unsettling, and probably true.

Myra Adams is a media producer and writer who served on the McCain Ad Council during the 2008 McCain campaign and on the 2004 Bush campaign creative team. Her writing credits include National Review, WND, Washington Examiner, and more. Contact her at MyraAdams01@gmail.com. Twitter @MyraKAdams.

Rx Normal
Tokens
I know this is going to sound predictable and, ahem, polarizing but I blame the left. They are taking the Democrat party and country straight off the cliff leaving those in the center behind and those on the right not even in the same stratosphere. The Democrat party is no longer JFK's America, which, fair to say, is where most of today's reasonable CONSERVATIVES and mainstream Republicans find themselves.

Here's the problem: when one side is totally insane, "centrism" is a lost cause. What's the 'compromise' between single payer and free market healthcare? Probably something along the lines of the dysfunctional status-quo which is working just as well as the new left's vision of single payer, isn't it? What's the compromise for middle east peace when the goal of one side is complete annihilation of the other? What's the compromise on "climate change" when one side clings to faulty computer models as "science" insisting we're all going to be under water in 100 years, while the other side just laughs at the hysteria? What's the compromise between those who believe in a Second Amendment versus those who do not? What's the compromise between those who want economic and cultural suicide (open borders with global markets regulated by unelected bureaucrats) versus those who still believe in American Exceptionalism? What's the compromise when one side insists they have a "right" to everything without working (because we're such a rich country and simply can) and the other side simply shakes their head in disgust at this entitled mentality?

There is no compromise...this is why the country is polarized and each side is out to get the other - no matter who is in office.

There are two separate visions - two different Americas with no common ground. One side clings to a more a traditional America, while the other seeks to remake it into a country even the staunchest traditional patriotic JFK-type Democrat wouldn't recognize.

And the beat goes on...

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory
Handicapper
Tokens
Clinton and modern day libtard nation are trying to finish the job algore started, divide the country

they lost, they lost because they sucked at EVERYTHING important to working families, and they continue to divide the country with hate, fake news, riots, resistance and absolute idiocy

our founder fathers can't believe what the fucking idiots are doing to our country, and our enemies just can't stop laughing at the fucking idiots

Handicapper
Tokens
2Spz3xI.gif

caution, a libtard meeting of the minds

this is work to them

Rx Normal
Tokens
Today's modern left insists on a cradle to grave welfare state AND open borders. As the community organizer who now cowers behind a 10 foot wall put it...

"In the eyes of God, a child on the other side of the border is no less worthy of love and compassion than my own child. We can’t distinguish between them in terms of their worth and their inherent dignity and that they’re deserving of shelter and love and education and opportunity.

How nice. Good luck with that.

I'm sick of arguing with idiots. What's needed is an "opt out form" traditional conservative and libertarian-minded Americans can submit to the IRS. Then those crazy 'progressives' can social engineer their Utopia till the cows come home...or pigs fly, whichever comes first.

looney_left_1_xlarge.jpg

Tokens
Most of these divides are convenient and preferable for the ruling class that collects economic rents. Even if the status quo seems like it has come to it's logical conclusion, they can't let it die.

Immigration, healthcare, banking/monetary policy, education, media conglomerates. All of this stuff has put money in peoples pockets for generations now. I could give more examples too but those are the main ones.

These divides may appear to be political but it's mostly just about money and status quo. After that it manifests itself in political forms but it has little to do with that.

Handicapper
Tokens
Most of these divides are convenient and preferable for the ruling class that collects economic rents. Even if the status quo seems like it has come to it's logical conclusion, they can't let it die.

Immigration, healthcare, banking/monetary policy, education, media conglomerates. All of this stuff has put money in peoples pockets for generations now. I could give more examples too but those are the main ones.

These divides may appear to be political but it's mostly just about money and status quo. After that it manifests itself in political forms but it has little to do with that.

I will concede both parties are part of the problems we have today, which is why I'm an advocate of term limits and new blood

But only one party seeks to divide us, creating wedge issue after wedge issue to win votes because they can't win the battle of ideas

Tokens
In response to my own post #6

Atleast as it relates to issues of money. Obviously there are some cultural divides but the main thing people underestimate is just how well our current system works for so many powerful people.

There is a reason the GOP has branch and can't do anything on healthcare and probably won't do anything too major on immigration, etc etc.

It ain't about blue or red, it's about green.

Rx Normal
Tokens
2Spz3xI.gif

caution, a libtard meeting of the minds

this is work to them

Those are members of the self-serving intelligence community (deep state) who are too busy spying on law-abiding Americans and Trump leaking bullshit to a complicit press rather than spying on and defeating our enemies.

Healthcare, NASA, "science", the financial sector (Dodd-Frank), trannies in the military, Iran clusterfuck, politicizing and weaponizing the IRS, the EPA, the courts, the intelligence community....what DIDN'T Obama totally fuck up and destroy?

Hussein left us a country that is beyond polarized and ungovernable.

image001-obama.jpg

Tokens
I will concede both parties are part of the problems we have today, which is why I'm an advocate of term limits and new blood

But only one party seeks to divide us, creating wedge issue after wedge issue to win votes because they can't win the battle of ideas

I try not to get overly conspiratorial but I view most of that stuff as convenient distractions, politics as entertainment which the media loves and is very profitable.

Which bathroom people use, is Trump in cahoots with Russia, that Chris Christie bridge thing, Hillary's emails, was Obama born here, etc. And I'm not speaking to the merits of these issues but there is a reason they get covered wayyyyy more than say healthcare or debt or education or immigration, etc. It's just a way to polarize and divide people.

There is a reason every cable news segment goes 6 minutes instead of 25 minutes, because they can't really get into the issues too much or else they can't do the same exact thing the next day.

A lot of it is cultural too, 15-20 years of reality TV, internet hoax sites, arguing with friends on facebook, etc etc has made your avg American a total idiot. And a very emotional one to boot. Easy to divide, shovel BS to folks like that.

Rx Normal
Tokens

In response to my own post #6

Atleast as it relates to issues of money. Obviously there are some cultural divides but the main thing people underestimate is just how well our current system works for so many powerful people.

There is a reason the GOP has branch and can't do anything on healthcare and probably won't do anything too major on immigration, etc etc.

It ain't about blue or red, it's about green.

It's not just about money.

"Politics is downstream from culture" - Andrew Breitbart

The left won the culture war by hijacking educational institutions, the media, the entertainment sector. They worked very hard at infiltrating all of those and more, which is why they control the narrative on every issue.

Here's another timeless quote:

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other" - John Adams

Civilized people...self-governing people...ladies and gentleman...

- as opposed to today's infantile, mob-style self-serving entitled vultures we are forced to deal with.

Rx Normal
Tokens

I don't agree, and I'll give you an example:

Obamacare
- not a single Republican voted for that lying heap of steaming garbage....and yet, the "centrist" position NOW among Republicans is, something to the effect if keeping 80% of it - 'tweaking'

That's nuts! But again, another example of the left getting everything it wants, while our side (the responsible hard working freedom side) walks away with ZERO.

For the left, "compromise" is like their version of free speech - it's only allowed if they agree with it.

Republicans have gained over 900 congressional seats nationwide and control all three branches of government because of this clusterfuck and still...we can't get rid of it!!!

:puppy:

Tokens
Obamacare/ACA is 100% the work of the Dems but what has the GOP's response to that been?

They just said it sucked for 8 years with no plan of their own. Then when they had a plan, most agreed it was a swamp thing. The current-POTUS said on the campaign trail for 20 months straight that "We're going to take care of everybody and it is going to be cheaper." Just totally dismissive of the real overhaul that healthcare needs and completely unwilling to talk straight to the American people about a challenging issue. I realize people say stuff on the campaign trail but when you say something like that for 20 straight months, you're definitely going to change some expectations of what Americans think the government should do as it relates to healthcare.

And Obamacare is a perfect example of what happens when the current system fails (our healthcare system pre-Obamacare), government comes in and tries to fix the issue and messes it up more. But where is the GOP to fight against that? Where is conservative media? You can find a good healthcare article on the National Review's site but Fox or Rush? They aren't wasting their time with something that can't foment rage.

Busy arguing about issues that don't really matter. That's how progressively big government wins over time.

Tokens
It's not just about money.

"Politics is downstream from culture" - Andrew Breitbart

The left won the culture war by hijacking educational institutions, the media, the entertainment sector. They worked very hard at infiltrating all of those and more, which is why they control the narrative on every issue.

Here's another timeless quote:

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other" - John Adams

Civilized people...self-governing people...ladies and gentleman...

- as opposed to today's infantile, mob-style self-serving entitled vultures we are forced to deal with.

No, it definitely isn't just about money. Wasn't trying to say that, but the issues I follow the most that is what I keep coming back to. Obviously something like tranny's in bathrooms or gun control or abortion it isn't about $.

But a lot of this stuff, $ is going into someones pocket. And if it wasn't, they wouldn't get as far as they have.

Atleast not all of them.

Rx Normal
Tokens
Obamacare/ACA is 100% the work of the Dems but what has the GOP's response to that been?

They just said it sucked for 8 years with no plan of their own. Then when they had a plan, most agreed it was a swamp thing. The current-POTUS said on the campaign trail for 20 months straight that "We're going to take care of everybody and it is going to be cheaper." Just totally dismissive of the real overhaul that healthcare needs and completely unwilling to talk straight to the American people about a challenging issue. I realize people say stuff on the campaign trail but when you say something like that for 20 straight months, you're definitely going to change some expectations of what Americans think the government should do as it relates to healthcare.

And Obamacare is a perfect example of what happens when the current system fails (our healthcare system pre-Obamacare), government comes in and tries to fix the issue and messes it up more. But where is the GOP to fight against that? Where is conservative media? You can find a good healthcare article on the National Review's site but Fox or Rush? They aren't wasting their time with something that can't foment rage.

Busy arguing about issues that don't really matter. That's how progressively big government wins over time.

You're talking about things like Benghazi, Christie's bridge thing, Trump-Russia conspiracies. Those are simply issues the other side uses to demoralize and de-legitimatize so the enemy can't govern and implement their agenda. It's not a conspiracy, that's what polarization is - we have reached the point where neither side accepts the election results under any circumstances. Those distracting "side issues" are a symptom of a much greater disease.

As for the Republican response to Obamcare....what did you expect? Have you been following the single-payer fiasco in California? The left does not care. It will lie, steal, cheat to advance its agenda, to the point where counterarguments become counterproductive.

So what's the GOP answer to Obamacare? Oh btw, our free market healthcare model works great, but only for those fiscally responsible families and individuals. The rest of you (those who choose to splurge on the latest iPhones and flat screen TVs) are SOL if you get sick.

Good luck selling that vision to the Occupy Wall Street crowd. lol

Rx Normal
Tokens
May 20, 2017
Partisanship Works – for the Democrats

By Steve Feinstein

Partisanship certainly works well for the Democrats when it comes to shaping public opinion and influencing policy. It’s a discipline the Democrats have developed into an art form.

Despite all the talk about reaching “across the aisle,” the Democrats never do. They never yield; they almost never vote for a Republican nominee unless they have safe political cover, they virtually never support a Republican initiative. They hold together with amazing public unanimity when it comes to opposing Republican proposals and bills.

Republicans, on the other hand, are far weaker as a party, nowhere near as steeled and uncompromising with regards to doing battle with the opposition as the Democrats.

There are many high-profile Republicans who are famous for their malleability, perhaps in some misguided desire to appear “reasonable”: John McCain, Lindsey Graham, John Kasich, Susan Collins, Paul Ryan and others often break ranks with Republican initiatives and come out willingly and publicly on the other side.

McCain, as an example, is often highly critical of his Republican Senate colleagues and of President Trump as well. Does McCain think that by displaying such supposed evenhandedness he’ll be accorded credit by the Democrats? He won’t; he’ll just be played for a fool, as so much “See? Even the highly-respected John McCain disagrees with you” PR fodder by both Democratic politicians and the liberal mainstream media.

Lindsey Graham, the other half of the Republican Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum twins, also makes frequent anti-Trump statements that he may foolishly think raises his own profile as an independent thinker, but in fact, do nothing more than provide the Democrats with additional ammunition.

The other side is never going to give you credit for being so-called “reasonable” and adopting their position. The point is, one almost never – never -- sees a high-profile Democrat breaking ranks in this way with public comments damaging to their own party.

The Nancy Pelosis, Elizabeth Warrens, and Elijah Cummings of the world all spout a perfectly in-tune Democratic line, every time, every day, no cracks, no exceptions. Their partisanship is perfect, faultless, and pure on every issue. There is never the slightest give or compromise or movement towards common ground. This intentional inflexibility yields them huge benefits: by striking a harder, unblinking posture, when there is any give to be given, it’s the Republicans who always give in first.

Once a policy is proposed or a nominee presented, the Democrats unfailingly take a uniform position: all their talking points are coordinated, there is no public dissention among them or in-house squabbles that inadvertently leak out.

Above all, their positions are presented as being unarguably superior, more beneficial to the country and more morally evenhanded and compassionate for the populace. There may have been debates and arguments about ObamaCare amongst Democrats behind closed doors, but the Democrats’ public face was one of complete support for the plan. Contrast that to the Republicans’ well-publicized bickering and inability to agree on an ObamaCare replacement bill of their own, a public disagreement that gave the Democrats and the liberal media ample ammunition with which to criticize what they saw as the Republicans’ inexcusable lack of preparedness and forethought on the matter.

Democratic Senate minority leader Chuck Schumer never gives an inch to the other side. He recently said that there will be no vote for a new FBI Director until a special prosecutor is appointed. The liberal media support Democrats when they hold the process hostage in support of a Democratic position, but the mainstream media would never do that do for the Republicans. The media hailed Harry Reid’s brilliant manoeuvring to bypass normal Senate procedures and pass ObamaCare on the arcane technicality of a reconciliation vote, but the same liberal media excoriated the Republicans for changing Senate rules by means of the “nuclear option” in order to confirm the incredibly well-qualified Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch in the face of arbitrary Democratic obstinacy.

The Democrats see bipartisanship as nothing more than misguided weakness and any legislation that results from it as being bad for the country and bad for their electoral fortunes. They are justifiably secure in the knowledge that the liberal mainstream media (by far, still the dominant source of opinion-influencing information from which the undecided swing voters get their news) will cast their down-the-line partisan positions as being unified around a solid core of laudable values, while characterizing Republicans who differ from their conservative orthodoxy as proof of the questionable merits of their party’s positions.

Partisanship works for the Democrats. It makes them tougher to defeat as political opponents, because there is no weak entry point. It strengthens their advantage with a sympathetic liberal media, who cite their uniformity of publicly-stated opinion as proof of the correctness of their views. The Democrats pay no penalty for their intransigence on policy compromise. The liberal media criticize the Republicans’ failure to compromise with Democrats, when in reality, if any compromise takes place at all, it’s virtually always the result of Republicans giving in, as the recent budget negotiations have shown. There is no incentive for the Democrats to be bipartisan, in either getting favored legislation passed or improving their public image. They can hold tight to their positions knowing that any give will come from the Republicans and being confident that the influence of the mainstream media will always redound to their benefit by casting the Democrats in a favorable light.

Democratic partisanship doesn’t just mean Democratic politicians. It means the mainstream media as well. The NYT, the Washington Post,
CNN, late night TV (Kimmel, Colbert et al.) never even pretend to be balanced and objective. As an example, CNN is 96% anti-Trump and has no qualms about it because it serves their larger purpose -- getting Trump out of office by any means possible. They feel that Republicans in general and Trump in particular are equal parts evil and incompetent and it is now the self-appointed duty of the liberal mainstream media to favor the Democrats. The news reporting/editorial opinion line has been permanently and intentionally erased by the liberal media and Democratic politicians know this, which is why their extreme partisanship will never be cited as a negative by the media.

Partisanship is a winning strategy for the Democrats and there’s absolutely no reason to believe it will change in the foreseeable future. In the last quarter century, when Republicans win a presidential election -- and they lose more often than they win -- they win by a very narrow margin. When the Democrats win, they win by a landslide. Democratic political discipline in exercising extreme partisanship is a major reason for their presidential edge.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/05/partisanship_works__for_the_democrats.html

Tokens
It would definitely be a challenge to tell people they gotta care more for their own health and pay more out of pocket for healthcare costs. The big one is decoupling healthcare from work benefits, that would be a tough paradigm shift. It isn't just a few loons that would have problems with this though, it is unfortunately most Americans who can't think outside the box and are resistant to change.

But a big reason these changes aren't even broached besides by a few politicians (libertarian freedom caucus types) is because there is a HUGE industry built around the current healthcare system. It is 1/7th the size of the economy. Everything from 10k a night hospital stays to 5k MRI's has to take a cut in price if people are paying out of pocket. And pretty much all of these industries lobby the hell out of Congress to keep the $ flowing.

So when it isn't discussed some of it is because it might be a hard sell, but the other part is just because it isn't a sale that anyone really wants to make.

It's the same reason monetary policy isn't discussed. Even your most ardent liberal supporter of gov't solutions is probably gonna be pretty receptive to the idea that the reason they can't go to a bank and get 4-5% return on their $ while asset prices skyrocketed is because the federal reserve is stealing wealth from them. Well, why isn't this talked about? Some of it is people would be too stupid to understand it (the greater disease) but some of it is just the ruling class/establishment has no desire to rock any type of boat. Why would they? Economic rents being what they are.

Trump won bigly on immigration by saying something to the effect of "We're bringing too many people here and it's fucking y'all over in various ways like XYZ" and above all else, I think that's why he won the Presidency. Whether he actually does something about that? Who knows?

I do think if you make the right arguments, there is traction to be gained on some of this stuff, others will be harder to sell. But the reason the arguments aren't being made is pretty clear to me.

Rx Normal
Tokens
Oh yes, poor monetary policy is one of the biggest causes for an increase in statism demand. After all, if the government is making everyone poor by devaluing their money forcing them to borrow and live beyond their means, more and more people are going to need 'help'. But by the time we've reached a national consensus of "healthcare being too expensive" we (free market advocates) have lost the battle and the Bernie Sanders demagogues ("greedy insurance companies are making record profits!!!") have already won. Remember when Ron Paul used his 2-5 minutes on the GOP stage to talk about the Fed and monetary policy? Most of what he said went over people's heads. So....

There has to be a better way. I know I sound defeatist, as if the GOP is the party that lost 900 seats over the last 8 years, but the truth is, we (small government conservatives and libertarians) don't have much to show for it. Even if you factor in those political gains, we're still badly losing the narrative in popular culture - from Kimmel to CNN and every college campus across the country, while the current GOP Congress is hopefully inept.

Rx Normal
Tokens
Ronald Reagan used to say, "the more the plans fail, the more the planners plan"...which is true. But what is also true is the fact the political climate almost always favors bigger and more promising plans.

Take California, for example - progressives have once again set the bar on healthcare, and they won't stop trying until they succeed, cost be damned. The GOP has no response, other than "we told you so!" after the fact.

Handicapper
Tokens
When I talk about wedge issues, it's not laptops or birthplace or Russia or Fake News, although fake reporting is used to manifest wedge issues

Wedge issues are

Healthcare, where the democrats actually fucked the vast majority of Americans but now somehow get to scream Republicans are going to let you die. Just like I said they would do once Obamacare passed, use it to buy votes every two years.

Tax policy, the time tested weak vs poor issue, it's as if they don't know only people who pay taxes can actually have their taxes cut

Welfare, see healthcare, they want your children to starve

Economics, greedy white men are holding you back

Race, racist white men are holding you back AND police departments all over this nation are racists, BLM, they even justify riots

Sexism, sexist white men hate women

I don't understand how the same people can fall for the same lies every election cycle for 50+ years, but they do. Democrats are promising to fix the same problems LBJ & Carter & Bubba & Barry promised to fix. Two out of four of them passed massive significant legislation to do just that, and yet the problems they promise to fix keep getting worse.

What's the definition of insanity again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhy047
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com