Forum: College Football Forum - Sponsored by:

Thread: Alabama vs FSU huge bet...talk some sense into me!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RX Wizard
    ESPN’s Rece Davis: “I think the first big game of the season will also be the last game of the season, Alabama-Florida State in Atlanta for the national championship. Obviously the loser of the game has no more margin for error, but as we sit here in late June, I do believe these are the two best teams.”

RX Junior
    Hello OP. I am curious as to your reasoning for backing Bama. Is it just because you always bet them first game of the season and you are confident they will do the same again, or have you followed their team progress and see FSU as a step down in quality. Thanks

RX Senior
    Howdy lolz...I'll give you the short version. I am a U of A graduate and I have been a die hard Bama fan since my adopted brother played middle linebacker for them in the 90's.

While I believe we lost a touch of talent from the front 4(8), I believe that our lbs and defensive backfield will show marked improvement from last years team.

The offense is absolutely electric, with a complete overhaul in philosophy and an overall improvement at QB, RB, WR, And OL. We will run downhill and throw deep with and without playaction when available.

FSU is a great team, returning a large number of starters...probably the 3rd best team in the NCAA.

With that in mind. In Atlanta with the entire offseason to prepare...Bama is a 14 point favorite if you play the game 20 times. I think it is great value, and I always hit great value hard (when I have the money.)

RX Junior
    Hmmmm... I Think you are being a bit myopic if you think alabama should be a 14 point favorite. While Alabama may be improving (even though they have lost a lot of talent defensively of course they will reload) so has FSU.

Just curious, what is your standard wager size and how much do you make through gambling on College football in a year?

I was thinking of going with FSU, but I always respect the money so I'm curious. Anyways, I hope you place your big bet I love the balls.

avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mws View Post
    I can't say that Alabama was the better team last year.

RX Wizard
    I still have flashbacks of Deshaun Watson just destroying one of the best defenses Bama ever had

Swalker: with the line move and your Vegas ticket already made, why not cut the bet in half or go with 10k bet? You can always play more later or possibly pick up a better line for the 2nd half?
    2010 Totals: College Basketball: 58-38 YTD +26.35 units | Baseball 73-64 +11.45 units NFL 34-22+18.68 units College Football 75-64+17.30 units

RX Senior
    Lolz, I understand that I might seem myopic, but I truly have a grasp of my team and how they match up with others...I have missed 3 sides in the last 2 years of Bama games, with some scores/competition calls on this site where I was within 7 points on some "crazy" calls...like the USC game last year and MSU 2 years ago.

my normal bet is between 1k-5k with my local bookie that I've been with for 9 years. I lost 130k roughly last year...I know that is horrible after starting with a 32k winner. I am a degenerate and I am horrible with all non-Bama bets. I'll post the bet that I make.

Pathologist...the offense/play calling destroyed our defense, not Clemson. Even the greatest defense gets tired when you only pick up 1-13 third down conversions...I.e you are on the field the entire second half.

ground hog: if the line is above 7 that is exactly what I will do.

I noted Alabama is 8-1ATS the last 9 years concerning game 1. BOL to you , enjoy your trip.

RX SemiGod
    MYOPIC? I've been a Bama fan for 69 years and never, ever heard "maybe I'm Myopic".

Hell, 99.999 percent of Alabama fans have never even heard of someone myopic.

You know, it gets to a point you just say ride on and GOOD LUCK partner!

RX Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    MYOPIC? I've been a Bama fan for 69 years and never, ever heard "maybe I'm Myopic".

Hell, 99.999 percent of Alabama fans have never even heard of someone myopic.

You know, it gets to a point you just say ride on and GOOD LUCK partner!
    Do you realize that everyone thinks you are a moron?

RX SemiGod
    919 we down here in Alabama solute your Horseshoe knowledge of BS.

You have to get a little more creative than "MORON" for us southern folks here down south.

Sounds a little racist maybe?

RX SemiGod
    Come on 919.....offer something for once to this fine RX network.

Help us 919.......what the fuck have you ever offered for anyone here who would be interested?

Jesus....must be part of the Ty Precious gang who follows my post. Yeah, act dumb like all you clowns do.

Waiting for more of the CNN silliyness.

RX SemiGod
    Picking on 919 is EASY.........

Just for the HELL/FUN of it....check out 919's post in this CFB forum the past 8 weeks.

Ty, you guys need some organization before you BASH others.

RX Wizard
    What's the matter. Couldn't think of everything you wanted to say the first time?

Good luck S Walker but I do have to disagree with some of your reasoning even though it sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to the Tide. I think it was the Clemson defense that contributed to the poor third down conversion rate more than the playcalling last year. As a matter fact in the last five years or so the vaunted Alabama defense has gotten shredded on a handful of occasions by quarterbacks like Chad Kelly Johnny Manziel and DeSean Watson. I'm not saying that to be a jerk to a Tide fan because clearly you guys have had the best program in college football for the last 10 years or so but I do think you guys are way more vulnerable than manyTide fans would care to admit. Let's be honest as the SEC coaching and quarterbacks have been dreadful the last three or four years on the whole. That's why when it comes to a game like this, I'm almost always going to go with the team with the better quarterback if everything else is at least close to being equal. And even though your quarterback is a powerful runner has a lot of poise and seems like a great leader he can't really throw the ball down field very well. All I've heard about was in the spring game him completing 3-4 deep balls but I went back and watched them and they were line drives and would not be successful against a team like Florida State on a big stage. Personally I think DeAndre Françoise may win the Heisman this year and will clearly be the better quarterback on the field from an all-around basis. That being said I think this is a field goal game and I would take either team if they are getting anywhere near six points or more. Just my two cents. Good luck man and have fun

RX Senior
    Unless hurts improved his accuracy over the past few months, and I mean by a ton, he is by far the inferior qb in this game. I spent a lot of time researching the title game last year, and the overwhelming consensus was that those in the know, thought very little of him. I am sure canning kiff, the week before the game did him no favors, but this kid is not a threat to throw. Running the ball, yes. Throwing a flanker screen behind that nfl o line, sure. The very idea of him being on the Maxwell list is a testament to the tide machine. Gun to my head, I take Jimbo and 7. Lines inflated, imo.

RX SemiGod
    A season opener of this dimension, Alabama vs FSU....Wow !!!!! Where will all this end. How far away can a pre-season NFL game be against an Alabama, FSU or Ohio State going up against the Dallas Cowboys or the Seattle Sea Hawkes etc. in an exhibition game.

Some of you guys may be old enough to remember when a college All-Star team of graduating Seniors was assembled to go against the NFL champions that would kick off the season back in the 1940's thru 1977. It was a charity game played at Soldiers Field in Chicago. Times have changed but many of these college players today are ready to play at the next level. Look at all the players that enter the draft before their eligibility is over.

RX Local
    Bama by 17

Quote Originally Posted by Swalker View Post
    As all the long term members of this forum know, I'm really dialed in on Bama and I normally start the year off
    with a giant bet on Bama because of line value. I won 32k on the Bama/USC game last year and I plan to be in
    Vegas for the game on the 2nd this year as well. Unfortunately the line has shifted from -5.5 to -7 very quickly.
    I still see value at -7, but certainly not as much. I was planning on betting 44k to win 40k if the line was under -7.
    I was now thinking of buying it down to -6.5 and spending 48k to win 40k.
    Someone tell me why I shouldn't do it
    Not I

RX Senior
    This is why I love Conan...well, this and making me money in the PAC-12 ��.

Thank you again to everyone for their input. I agree Hurts is a ice cold game manager that has improved his passing accuracy based upon the spring game against the nation's top defense...but, I am still in now way, shape, or form in love with him. I hope so Stevie, I see us as 14 point favs, but I really loved that opening -5.5!

RX Local
    See -7 -105 so may dip back below a TD

RX Senior
    I'd be very happy if it at least stays at 7

avoid BetEast at all costs! rolltide's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalker View Post
    Hurts is a ice cold game manager that has improved his passing accuracy based upon the spring game against the nation's top defense
    that's taking a hell of a lot from a scrimmage since 6 months ago he was a deer in the headlights against defenses barely top 20 in the country

RX Senior
    My statement was it looked like he improved his passing accuracy a little, and that you know he is a leader and has ice water in his veins (since the beginning). You know what you are getting from him game in and game out.

Completely agree Rolltide, I don't love Hurts...as you see from the rest of my quote. I was in the camp that we should have kept Blake in the game and allowed him to play through the jitters. Hurts was close to his ceiling at the start of last year, and I think Blake with 10 games under his belt would have been incredible. I will be betting ASU this year when he takes over...