Bunch Of Tidbets.

Search

Handicapper
Tokens
Position battle to watch for all 32 NFL teams.

AFC EAST

i
Buffalo Bills

Middle linebacker
First-year coach Sean McDermott had one of the NFL's best defensive players in Luke Kuechly during his tenure as the Panthers' defensive coordinator. There is not a player with nearly the range and instincts as Kuechly on the Bills' roster. Incumbent starter Preston Brown, a third-round pick in 2014, has taken all of the first-team reps so far in training camp, but 2016 second-round pick Reggie Ragland -- who missed all of last season with a torn ACL -- is considered part of the competition. Ragland has run with the second team to this point. -- Mike Rodak
i
Miami Dolphins

Nickel corner
The Dolphins don't have many true position battles in camp, but one to keep an eye on is the nickel position, which is essentially another starter on defense. Incumbent Bobby McCain was up and down last season in the nickel, and the team signed seven-year veteran Alterraun Verner to compete with McCain. Verner has the edge in experience but must learn a new defense quickly to win the job in training camp. This race should be close throughout the preseason. -- James Walker
i
New England Patriots

Inside linebacker
The signing of veteran David Harris in June could have a significant trickle-down effect on the rest of the group, as it seems like the coaching staff has big plans for Harris. One indication of this is how Harris was wearing the green dot on his helmet as the primary communicator and leader of the huddle as drills began during the first full-pads practice of camp. So with Harris a top candidate to play alongside Dont'a Hightower, what does that mean for other linebackers such as Shea McClellin, Kyle Van Noy, Elandon Roberts and Jonathan Freeny? -- Mike Reiss

i
New York Jets

Quarterback
Journeyman Josh McCown is ahead of Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty, based on his exclusive work with the first-team offense, but this isn't a done deal. Chances are, coach Todd Bowles will takes three preseason games before naming his starter. It'll probably come down to McCown and Hackenberg; there already are signs that Petty is falling out of the race. -- Rich Cimini

Handicapper
Tokens
AFC NORTH

i
Baltimore Ravens

Tight end
This is the most wide-open battle for a starting job. The competition is between Benjamin Watson, who is coming off an Achilles injury; Nick Boyle, who has a total of 24 catches in two NFL seasons; Maxx Williams, who hasn't played since last October because of knee surgery; Larry Donnell, who was signed Sunday; and Ryan Malleck, who is on his third team in two years. This is what happens when three tight ends are already lost for the season -- Dennis Pitta (hip) and Darren Waller (suspension) and Crockett Gillmore (knee). -- Jamison Hensley
i
Cincinnati Bengals

Running back
Just how will the Bengals use their running backs now that they have three solid options among Giovani Bernard, Jeremy Hill and Joe Mixon? If the Bengals' history is any indication, Hill will likely exit camp as the starting back. But the talented rookie Mixon could push him every step of the way. -- Katherine Terrell
i
Cleveland Browns

Quarterback
Why should 2017 be different from all the Browns' other seasons since 1999? The Browns won't be a complete team until they identify and nurture their long-term quarterback. Camp opened with uncertainty about whether Cody Kessler, Brock Osweiler or DeShone Kizer would start. The position probably won't clear until mid-August, when the Browns will have to start giving starter reps to one of the three. -- Pat McManamon

i
Pittsburgh Steelers

Wide receiver
The Steelers can't count on Martavis Bryant until he's reinstated by the NFL, and with Sammie Coates and JuJu Smith-Schuster nursing injuries early in camp, Justin Hunter has impressed with his athletic catches over the first four days of camp. When all options are on the field at once, however, plays must be made to earn significant snaps. -- Jeremy Fowler

Handicapper
Tokens
AFC SOUTH

i
Houston Texans

Quarterback
Tom Savage is the starter for now, but general manager Rick Smith has said that first-round pick Deshaun Watson is competing for the job as well. It seems more likely that Savage will open the season as the starter, as coach Bill O'Brien has said he has earned it so far, but a big camp from Watson could change all that. The Texans have been impressed with what Watson has done so far and believe he is ahead of schedule from where they expected him to be a week into training camp. -- Sarah Barshop

i
Indianapolis Colts

Middle linebacker
Five players, including two holdovers from last season, are competing for two spots at a position the Colts lacked consistency at in 2016. Newcomers Jon Bostic, Sean Spence and Anthony Walker Jr. are competing with returners Edwin Jackson and Antonio Morrison for the starting job. Bostic and Spence may end up coming out on top, but Walker -- the team's fifth-round pick out of Northwestern -- could end up surprising a lot of people by camp's end. -- Mike Wells
i
Jacksonville Jaguars

Left guard
Now that left tackle Branden Albert has retired, the only spot open on the offensive line is at left guard. Tyler Shatley and Patrick Omameh are the front-runners, but if they struggle it wouldn't be a surprise to see right guard A.J. Cann get reps there. With rookie Cam Robinson at left tackle, the Jaguars need some stability next to him. -- Mike DiRocco
i
Tennessee Titans

Cornerback
This was arguably the Titans' biggest weakness in 2016, so naturally, it received the most turnover this offseason starting with prized free-agent signing Logan Ryan, who has one starting spot locked up. The competition heats up on the other side with incumbents LeShaun Sims and Brice McCain competing with the Titans' talented, long-term solution, first-round pick Adoree' Jackson, for the other snaps. Coach Mike Mularkey is seeking consistency from Jackson while giving Sims most of the early camp starting reps because of his experience and 2016 success. -- Cameron Wolfe[

Handicapper
Tokens
AFC WEST

i
Denver Broncos

Running back and wide receiver
Denver has a crowded mix of established veterans and younger players trying to carve out a niche at both spots. At running back, Devontae Booker's injury -- he had two screws put in his left wrist to help heal a fracture in recent days and is expected to miss six weeks -- will give other backs such as rookie De'Angelo Henderson and recent arrival Stevan Ridley a chance to show what they can do in the preseason. At wide receiver, the Broncos have two draft picks from the Class of '17 -- Carlos Henderson and Isaiah McKenzie -- who project to be the team's kickoff and punt returners if things go well in the preseason, so that leaves Cody Latimer and Jordan Taylor fighting for spots there. -- Jeff Legwold
i
Kansas City Chiefs

Left guard
Parker Ehinger, who began last season as the starter, is on the physically unable to perform list after tearing his ACL last year. That leaves Ehinger's replacement, Zach Fulton, to battle Bryan Witzmann for the starting spot. Fulton has more experience, but the fact Witzmann is getting plenty of work means the Chiefs are hoping for an upgrade. Ehinger's absence isn't likely to be a lengthy one, and he could claim his starting job back at some point during the season. -- Adam Teicher
i
Los Angeles Chargers

Free safety
The Chargers waited until the fourth round to get a safety in this year's draft, selecting Miami product Rayshawn Jenkins. They also drafted versatile performer Desmond King in the fifth round. However, incumbent Dwight Lowery will receive competition for his starting free safety position from free-agent addition Tre Boston. Lowery and Boston are splitting reps with the first-unit defense so far in camp. Lowery, who is familiar with new defensive coordinator Gus Bradley's scheme from his time with the Jaguars, led the Chargers in defensive snaps with 961 last season. However, Boston adds a little more speed and playmaking ability to the back end defensively. -- Eric D. Williams

i
Oakland Raiders

Middle linebacker
The guy who began last season as the starter, Ben Heeney, is on the non-football injury list. The guy who took over for him, Perry Riley Jr., was not re-signed. And the guy who was there throughout the offseason workouts and the first two days of camp, practice squad survivor Tyrell Adams, was replaced by fifth-round draft pick Marquel Lee on Monday, the third day of camp. Buckle up. Because whichever player emerges with the job will not have a lot of experience as the quarterback of the defense. "My job at this point is to bring them to me and I'll coach them," said Raiders defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. "I've coached Clay Matthews as a walk-on at USC. Bobby Wagner was a second-round pick. K.J. Wright was a fourth-round pick. It doesn't matter the uncertainty. It doesn't matter the age or what round they've been picked. Just give me someone who loves ball, who's hungry, who has the right stuff. I will coach the heck out of them." -- Paul Gutierrez

Handicapper
Tokens
NFC EAST

i
Dallas Cowboys

Left guard
Injury could play a big factor in who starts on the star-studded line between Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick. Chaz Green suffered a muscle strain in his shoulder and will be out at least through the Hall of Fame Game, which will give Jonathan Cooper the upper hand. They had been alternating days working with the first team early on in camp with one player doing better one day and the other doing better the next. Cooper has more experience, but Green played well in limited action at tackle a year ago. The Cowboys don't have a timetable on when they will pick a starter but acknowledge the earlier the better. Green's injury history is something he has not been able to shake. -- Todd Archer
i
New York Giants

Backup quarterback
It's between Geno Smith and Josh Johnson for the backup job, with rookie Davis Webb playing the role of long shot. Smith is an intriguing name and a player who is receiving a fresh start. But his main competition, Johnson, has full grasp of the offense and is likely the front-runner for the job. Smith has to prove he can pick up the playbook quickly and play at a high level despite coming off a serious knee injury. -- Jordan Raanan
i
Philadelphia Eagles

Cornerback
Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz badly needs a player or two to step up and solidify the Eagles' most vulnerable position group. Jalen Mills and Patrick Robinson are currently the first-team corners, with Ron Brooks manning the slot. Rookie Rasul Douglas and second-year player C.J. Smith will try to make a push for a starting gig this summer. The team is also monitoring the market and will look to bring in help from the outside. -- Tim McManus

i
Washington Redskins

Nose tackle
While inside linebacker remains a battle, Will Compton and Mason Foster typically work with the starters. At nose tackle, there's no one working all the time with the starters. Joey Mbu, Phil Taylor and A.J. Francis all have rotated there -- one might win the job; all might get cut. Stacy McGee, among others, can play end or nose tackle. This spot remains the most uncertain on the roster. -- John Keim

Handicapper
Tokens
NFC NORTH

i
Chicago Bears

Cornerback
The Bears signed free-agent corner Marcus Cooper in the offseason, guaranteeing him $6 million for 2017. But Cooper has been day to day with a lingering hamstring injury, opening the door slightly for former first-round draft pick Kyle Fuller. Fuller, who missed all of last season following a routine knee scope, is thought to be on the roster bubble. Cooper's injury, however, could leave Fuller as the best remaining cornerback of the group to play opposite Prince Amukamara. -- Jeff Dickerson
i
Detroit Lions

Left tackle
Yes, I've mentioned this battle a lot in this space over the past week, but Taylor Decker's shoulder injury altered what needed to be decided in camp. It's a wide open race with Greg Robinson, Cornelius Lucas and Cyrus Kouandjio being the main contenders. Other than left tackle, the competition at slot corner will be fascinating to watch. It's essentially a starter position in the Lions' defense and there are three legitimate candidates: incumbent Quandre Diggs, free-agent signee D.J. Hayden and rookie Jamal Agnew. It's possible whoever finishes third in this competition ends up off the roster entirely. Diggs has the inside edge now, but it'll be a battle to watch throughout camp. -- Michael Rothstein
i
Green Bay Packers

Cornerback
It's possible the Packers could have two new starters -- Davon House and Kevin King. But don't count out Quinten Rollins just yet. The 2015 second-round pick has taken plenty of reps with the starting defense. Coach Mike McCarthy said not to read too much into the rotations early in camp, but it's hard to dismiss all the snaps that trio has gotten with the ones so far ahead of Damarious Randall and LaDarius Gunter. -- Rob Demovsky

i
Minnesota Vikings

Running back
The Vikings entered camp expecting a three-way race among newcomers Latavius Murray, veteran Jerick McKinnon and rookie Dalvin Cook. But Murray's extended recovery from offseason surgery, and an early injury to McKinnon, has given Cook a strong early lead. Cook has done his part by demonstrating strong knowledge of the playbook and competent blocking ability, two factors that sometimes keep rookie backs off the field. -- Kevin Seifert

Handicapper
Tokens
NFC SOUTH

i
Atlanta Falcons

Right guard
The battle between Wes Schweitzer and Ben Garland is up in the air as each has received equal reps with the first team while switching off from day to day. Expect this to go through at least the first two preseason games, considering the third preseason game is when the projected starters get the most work. -- Vaughn McClure
i
Carolina Panthers

Right tackle
Daryl Williams came into camp as the starter here, but rookie Taylor Moton is giving him a push. The Panthers are focused on having Moton focus on that position instead of swinging back and forth between right and left tackle as he did during offseason workouts. They are trying to work backup guard Amini Silatolu as the backup to Matt Kalil on the left side. Don't be surprised if they sign another tackle to fill that role if Silatolu doesn't prove worthy. -- David Newton

i
New Orleans Saints

Linebacker
The only guy who seems set in the starting lineup is newly signed veteran A.J. Klein, who has shown off his versatility by playing Sam linebacker in base defense and Mike in the nickel. Meanwhile, veterans Manti Te'o and Craig Robertson are battling for the Mike job in base, and youngsters Stephone Anthony and Alex Anzalone are competing at Will. Anthony has drawn some praise while trying to transition to his third position in three years. But Anzalone has had a number of flash plays as a third-round draft pick. -- Mike Triplett
i
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Kicker
Coach Dirk Koetter was asked his thoughts on the Bucs' position battle to watch and kicker was his exact response. Veteran Nick Folk was brought in to challenge last year's second-round draft pick Roberto Aguayo, who missed 9 of 31 field goal attempts in 2016 and went 4-of-11 on kicks from 40-plus yards. Both kickers went 4-of-5 on kicks in Sunday's practice. Expect this battle to carry on through the preseason. -- Jenna Laine

Handicapper
Tokens
NFC WEST

i
Arizona Cardinals

Cornerback
This has been the spotlighted position battle since the end of last season. A healthy Justin Bethel has taken the early lead after stacking a handful of good practices on top of each other, but second-year corner Brandon Williams, who started three games last season, won't cede the job without a fight. There's a good chance this battle won't be decided until late in camp. -- Josh Weinfuss
i
Los Angeles Rams

Tight end
The Rams have a talented second-year player in Tyler Higbee, who was drafted in the fourth round in 2016. But they also selected Gerald Everett 44th overall this past April. Higbee, 6-foot-6, and Everett, 6-foot-3, are both athletic tight ends who can stretch the deep middle of the field and are both poised to involve themselves heavily in the passing game. But the targets are up for grabs. Higbee looks like the favorite to start, but he was targeted only 29 times as a rookie. And new coach Sean McVay likes how Everett fits into his offense. Camp will decide how the snaps are distributed. -- Alden Gonzalez
i
San Francisco 49ers

Interior offensive line
The Niners will have competition at many spots in this camp, but the group that needs the most clarity is on the offensive line, particularly both guard spots and center. At guard, the trio of Joshua Garnett, Zane Beadles and Brandon Fusco figure to duke it out for two spots while veterans Jeremy Zuttah, Daniel Kilgore and Tim Barnes are eyeing the center position. For a group transitioning to coach Kyle Shanahan's outside-zone blocking scheme, the players who show the most athleticism and intelligence will have the inside track on the available jobs. -- Nick Wagoner
i
Seattle Seahawks

Running back
The team signed Eddie Lacy in free agency, and he's the favorite to be the team's primary back. But Thomas Rawls has looked good, and remember, he led the NFL in YPC (5.65) as a rookie in 2015. C.J. Prosise has a chance to carve out an expanded role if he can stay healthy. And seventh-round pick Chris Carson has opened a lot of eyes through the first week of training camp. He is someone to keep an eye on in the preseason. Last year, 18 different players carried the football at least once for the Seahawks. They're hoping for more continuity this time around. -- Sheil Kapadia

Handicapper
Tokens
Jalen Collins suspended 10 games for second PED violation.

DGlT4qxXsAAkSnF.jpg

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons cornerback Jalen Collins, who started in Super Bowl LI against the New England Patriots, has been suspended without pay for the first 10 games of the 2017 regular season for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances.
Collins is due to make $928,440 this season. The 10-game suspension will cost him $546,141.
The league made the announcement Sunday, hours after Collins nearly intercepted a pass at the end of practice. It marks the second consecutive year Collins has violated the same league policy. He served a four-game suspension without pay at the beginning of last season.
If he commits a third violation of the PED policy, Collins would be suspended for at least two years according to the league's policy. He would then be permitted to apply for reinstatement to the commissioner after 24 months.
"We are extremely disappointed that for the second straight season we are dealing with a suspension for Jalen. Such are the consequences when certain choices are made. Our decisions going forward will be based on what [coach] Dan [Quinn] and I feel is best for the team," general manager Thomas Dimitroff said in a statement.
Collins is allowed to take part in the Falcons' preseason practices and games. The Falcons have their first preseason game at Miami on Thursday. It's unclear whether Collins will play in the game.
Collins, who filled in for injured Pro Bowl cornerback Desmond Trufant for half of last season, was not expected to retain a starting spot with Trufant back from a pectoral injury and Robert Alford the other starting corner. However, Collins' demotion to the third team to start training camp was a red flag.
When asked about the demotion last week and if it had anything to do with being in trouble with the league, Collins told ESPN, "It's nothing like that. It's strictly just trying to get guys with a little less experience, trying to get those guys their reps.''
Quinn didn't immediately announce any discipline forthcoming for Collins, with teams not typically at liberty to comment on such matters. Quinn said Collins' limited reps and demotion was a coaching decision.
Now the Falcons have to figure out how to proceed without the 2015 second-round pick from LSU. Collins will be eligible to return to the Falcons' active roster on Nov. 21 following the team's Nov. 20 game at Seattle. By then, he might not be needed on the 53-man roster. His trade value likely has declined as well because of the suspensions.
The Falcons continue to groom C.J. Goodwin and Deji Olatoye as backups to Trufant and Alford. Nickelback Brian Poole has seen reps outside at corner, as has backup nickelback Blidi Wreh-Wilson. And rookie safety Damontae Kazee played outside at cornerback in college.
Collins started six regular-season games last season in place of Trufant and then started in the postseason. He had 31 tackles, 10 passes defensed and two interceptions during the regular season.
The Falcons took a chance when drafting Collins, who admitted to failing multiple drug tests at LSU, and a number of teams red-flagged him as a result of his marijuana use.

Handicapper
Tokens
Brock Osweiler to start Browns' preseason opener.

DGoJyX1WsAA-Yd4.jpg

Brock Osweiler will get the first crack at Cleveland's wide open quarterback battle. The Browns named the veteran QB1 heading into Thursday's preseason opener against the New Orleans Saints, the team announced on Monday.
Cody Kessler will come in next, followed by rookie DeShone Kizer and Kevin Hogan.
"A lot goes into our evaluation but it's always going to be about efficiently and effectively running the offense," Jackson said in a statement. "You want your starter to be able to do that despite any circumstance. Brock hasn't really gotten any first team reps and this will give him that chance. We look forward to seeing what he can do with this opportunity throughout the week and against the Saints."
Jackson made it seem like the next preseason game could feature another starter.
"We are going to see a lot more of all of them this preseason and everyone in that room still has the chance to earn more opportunities and the right to lead our team as the starter when the regular season begins on September 10th," he said.
This is a win for Osweiler considering that Kessler was considered the team's No. 1 heading into camp. Given the hellish year he just endured in Houston and the potential embarrassment of having his contract dumped in Cleveland, it seems like the former Broncos second-round pick is making the best of a less-than-ideal situation.
Obviously, Cleveland wants project second-round pick Kizer to eventually take the reins, and it seems like the Browns are building him up the right way. Kizer has a chance to shine against second- and third-string competition on Thursday and work his way up the depth chart.

Handicapper
Tokens
What does Ryan Tannehill's future hold with Dolphins?

DGoBC3ZUIAMM6oY.jpg

The Dolphins struck a one-year deal with quarterback Jay Cutler worth as much as $13 million, giving them a significant amount of capital committed in salary-cap dollars to the position for 2017. Injured starter Ryan Tannehill is responsible for $20,300,000 of that total.
But unfortunately for Tannehill, the team can earn some much-needed relief toward their 2018 salary cap without him.
This is brutal timing for the former first-round pick, who signed a six-year, $95.272 million deal back in 2015, which was essentially a bundled group of one-year deals after the 2016 season. At a point very early in the league year next year, the Dolphins could opt to walk away from the deal for a sum far less than the $19.8 million Tannehill is set to count for next year. They might also view it as one more proving ground year for Tannehill -- after all, $19.8 million isn't much more than the $18.5 million the Bears are paying Mike Glennon in a bridge quarterback-type role.
It's an unfortunate confluence of events. Ndamukong Suh's contract balloons to include a $26,100,000 cap hit, taking up a significant amount of the total cap. Tannehill approaches the age of 30 and, with the Dolphins potentially nearing a natural overhauling point for their roster, the team could simply look to move on from a passer with knee issue that dates back to last December when he partially tore his ACL. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport noted Sunday that Miami coach Adam Gase made a serious push for Cutler after it became clear that Tannehill could need season-ending knee surgery
If you count Tannehill's deal as essentially a one-year deal for 2017, the Dolphins would have zero quarterbacks under contract for the 2018 season if they part ways with their former first-round pick -- a scary but enticing proposition for a young head coach with personnel sway and a potentially loaded quarterback draft class coming in 2018.

As a few analysts wondered on Inside Training Camp Live shortly after the Cutler news broke Sunday, is this the last pass we've seen Tannehill throw for the Miami Dolphins? Where might he go from here?
It would have seemed like a silly question given how stubbornly confident Gase was in Tannehill's abilities a little more than a year ago. And Tannehill did grow under his new head coach last season, playing effectively enough over 13 games to put Miami in position to make the playoffs. Until Tannehill decides on a medical option for his knee and until the Dolphins fully understand the scope of Tannehill's issue, he will no doubt be supported by Gase and the rest of the organization. But the NFL waits for no man.
The silver lining for Tannehill is that, whenever he gets healthy, he will have work. Once the speculative smoke clears, he could remain with a Dolphins organization that seems to be enamored by his potential. As we saw during this offseason's free agency period, the mad dash for quarterback talent bestows a jealousy-inducing amount of money for players with even replacement-level starting abilities. Miami could very well decide that no one, even a high-upside rookie, could serve them better than Tannehill.
The difficult part might be accepting the end of something promising.
If Tannehill's 2016 season was projected out over a full 16 games, his final numbers would end up extremely close to the 2015 season Cutler produced alongside Gase in Chicago that nearly everyone in the media is praising Sunday (3,659 yards, 21 TDs to 11 picks). Tannehill was handling the ball better, taking far fewer sacks and increased his passer rating to the highest total of his career. Miami was most certainly the best place for him to continue growing, as there is no guarantee he'll find another home with a gifted, quarterback-whispering head coach again.
So what happens next? With the Cutler deal Sunday, the Dolphins have essentially made it clear who their starter is for the foreseeable future this season. Tannehill will have to wait to find his own clarity.

What else did we learn on Sunday?

1. The Raiders and Donald Penn remain in a holding pattern. NFL Network's Michael Silver spoke with the man himself, as well as Oakland's general manager and head coach. We wrote about it here.

2. The Falcons issued a vaguely threatening statement after cornerback Jalen Collins was hit with his second suspension in two years for violating the league's policy on performance enhancing substances. After training camp, we won't see Collins again until November 21 -- a full 10 games into the regular season.

3. A day later, Hall of Fame running back LaDainian Tomlinson's acceptance speech remains one of the most important things you'll hear this week, this month or this year. NFL.com's Jeremy Bergman wrote a great recap, which also features video of the 26-minute speech.

4. Redskins tight end Jordan Reed thinks he'll be healthy for the season-opener against Philadelphia despite sitting on the team's PUP list. Head coach Jay Gruden also sounds confident, but made sure to leave open the possibility for anything. Toe injuries can be complicated.

5. Still no word on Joe Flacco's back injury: Head coach John Harbaugh told reporters this weekend that there still isn't a timetable in place.

6. Panthers quarterback Cam Newton (shoulder) did some light throwing off to the side on Sunday but has yet to dive back into practice 100 percent. This, and more in Sunday's injury roundup.

Handicapper
Tokens
J.J. Watt to play in Houston Texans' preseason opener.

J.J. Watt will return to the football field for the first time in nearly 11 months next Wednesday, and he won't be on the sidelines.
The Texans defensive end will play in Houston's first preseason game against the Panthers, coach Bill O'Brien told reporters Saturday. It will be Watt's first game action since Week 3 of 2016.
Watt sat out most of 2016 with a back injury, but has been practicing without serious incident in Texans camp so far. His return and the emergence of a healthy Jadeveon Clowney have Texans coaches and fans salivating over the front seven's potential.
While we doubt Watt and Clowney will play more than one series, much less one quarter, against Carolina, our first glimpse of the dynamic duo in action since last September should be enough to quench our thirst for Texans hype.

Handicapper
Tokens
Anquan Boldin signs one-year deal with Buffalo Bills.

DGo9sRIXkAAMZS3.jpg

After losing out on the Jeremy Maclin sweepstakes, the Bills have finally gotten on the board with a veteran wide receiver.
Anquan Boldin is signing a one-year deal to join Tyrod Taylor and Sammy Watkins in Buffalo, Good Morning Football's Peter Schrager reported Monday. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero adds the one-year deal is worth up to $4 million. Boldin, who will turn 37 in early October, now joins his fifth NFL team in 15 years. His latest stop comes in a place desperate for help on offense.
Notoriously sure handed, Boldin posted a 70.5 percent catch rate in Detroit last year -- one of the highest totals of his career. He finished the season with 67 total receptions for 584 yards and eight touchdowns.
While this is not a signing that will break the Bills' offense wide open, bringing in a veteran like Boldin is a tremendous gift for both Taylor and Watkins -- a receiver the Bills would like to see develop into a franchise-type star. Boldin's understanding of leverage and his ability to find small windows of empty space are among the best in the NFL.
The Bills spent the early portion of camp looking at an uncertain depth chart behind Watkins. Rookie Zay Jones has made some plays early on, but behind him is a bundle of unproven players and older veterans like Rod Streater and Andre Holmes. Boldin should add a little more certainty at the position.

Handicapper
Tokens
Tom Savage to start for Texans preseason opener.

DGqG5WOXkAAfpBx.jpg

After two weeks of training camp, Tom Savage still seems to hold the lead in Houston's quarterback battle.
As expected, the veteran will start against Carolina in Houston's preseason opener Wednesday (7:30 p.m. ET on NFL Network). Despite rave reviews thus far, rookie first-round pick Deshaun Watson will come off the bench.
It will be interesting to see how Texans head coach Bill O'Brien staggers his reps throughout the preseason. The entire organization has been steadfast in their support of Savage this offseason as the opening day starter. On any other team, that would mean that Savage would start three of four preseason games and sit for the finale. Will the allure of a quick understudy with a higher ceiling change that? Is it more valuable for Savage to take all the reps he can get or will O'Brien want to see his rookie against one NFL starting-caliber defense this summer?
Savage's audition, which has earned the respect of top wideout DeAndre Hopkins, begins in earnest now. A concussion robbed him from putting significant reps on tape down the stretch last year, but now he has a chance to put to rest any doubts about his ability to keep the job for all 16 games.

Handicapper
Tokens
Winners and losers: Underdog QBs rise; injuries dog Chargers.

Jay Cutler doesn't have much time to prepare for the season after joining the Dolphins midway through training camp. Then again, Cutler threw as many passes in practice last week as Andrew Luck and Cam Newton did.

Luck, who had surgery on his throwing shoulder in January, was placed on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list by the Colts two weeks ago, with no signs that his return is imminent. While general manager Chris Ballard said previously Luck won't stay on PUP into the regular season, reporters have yet to see Luck even throw on the side of practice. Luck observed his team from the sideline over the weekend, an act that Indianapolis coach Chuck Pagano said was "good for the soul." Watching Scott Tolzien consistently scuffle in practice, on the other hand, shares none of chicken soup's restorative properties.

Newton returned from his March shoulder surgery far more quickly than Luck -- perhaps too quickly. Newton threw with a trainer Sunday, but it's been a full week since he practiced fully with the Panthers. The quarterback started camp with few restrictions, lasting four full days before backing off to a full stop. This setback is being treated as no big deal in Carolina, but the fitful start to camp is a reminder that recovery from such a major surgery is rarely straightforward. The Panthers are attempting a dramatic identity change without their starting quarterback on the field. Meanwhile, the team's No. 1 receiver, Kelvin Benjamin, was held out of team drills in Friday's Fan Fest, with coach Ron Rivera saying Benjamin had "wobbly" legs. Carolina's speedy second-round pick Curtis Samuel has practiced once in camp because of a hamstring injury.

"We are installing our offense," Rivera said Sunday. "We are not going to wait on anybody. We'll just have to pick it up when [Samuel] gets out here."

The Panthers will wait for Newton, just like the Colts are waiting for Luck. But all this missed practice time could result in a regular season where both offenses are constantly playing catch-up.

The Panthers and Colts had tough weeks. Here are some of the other winners and losers as training camps continue:

Winners

Tyrann Mathieu, Cardinals safety:The Honey Badger entered this pivotal training camp promising to promise less and deliver more. It's a great sign that he's already throwing that plan out the window.
Days after coach Bruce Arians said Mathieu -- who struggled in 2016, landing on injured reserve in December with a shoulder injury, after suffering the second ACL tear of his NFL career in 2015 -- looked completely healthy for the first time, Mathieu called himself the best player in the world and got into a Twitter beef with Giants safety Landon Collins. In other words, the Cardinals' defensive X-factor believes he's all the way back, too.

QB competition underdogs: Two weeks of training camp provided little clarity in three of the NFL's open quarterback competitions, making the first two weeks of the preseason matter even more.
Jets quarterback Josh McCown has failed to stand apart from Christian Hackenberg, with the Jets' offense producing five three-and-outs and a pick-six in its first nine possessions during the team's scrimmage Saturday night. Hackenberg still can't be ruled out as a potential Week 1 starter.

Brock Osweiler was announced as the Browns' starter for the team's first preseason game ... despite receiving virtually no first-team reps for all of OTAs and the start of training camp.
"You want somebody to be head and shoulders above everybody else, but let's be honest, when you have four guys that you are giving a bunch of reps to, it is hard to do," coach Hue Jackson said over the weekend.
This is an indictment of Cody Kessler, who has reportedly struggled after opening camp as the starter. Rookie DeShone Kizer should still have time to make up ground, because no one in Cleveland, from fans to Jackson, appears eager to believe Osweiler is the Browns' best option.
In Denver, conventional wisdom holds that Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch are both struggling to gain traction in their competition. This is a worst-case scenario, with Siemian reportedly nosing ahead of last year's first-round pick only by default.

(UPDATE: NFL Network's James Palmer reported Monday that Siemian will start in Denver's preseason opener against the Bears on Thursday, while Lynch will start the second preseason game vs. San Francisco on Aug. 19.)

Packers cornerback depth: As Pete Dougherty pointed out for the Green Bay Press Gazette, we can consider it a great sign for the Green Bay defense that the team's No. 1 cornerback in the playoffs last season, LaDarius Gunter, is now closer to No. 5 on the depth chart and battling to make the team. This secondary should be vastly improved.

Eric Decker, Titans receiver: Decker's dueling hip and shoulder surgeries are a distant memory, with the veteran lighting up Titans camp. Even before first-round pick Corey Davis pulled a hamstring, Decker looked like one of the free-agent bargains of the season with a salary under $4 million.

Nelson Agholor, Eagles receiver: The consistent drumbeat about Agholor's excellent practices are getting too hard to ignore. Our buddy Daniel Jeremiah said on his "Move the Sticks Podcast" last week that Agholor has enjoyed a "total rebirth" and is destined to be Philadelphia's slot receiver. With Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith as options on the outside and little-known wideout Marcus Johnson making noise, it's unclear where veteran slot receiver Jordan Matthews fits in.
Matthews' salty reaction to the story, lashing out at Jeremiah's mock drafts, is the clearest sign that DJ is onto something. (Matthews is barking up the wrong tree here, because Jeremiah's mock drafts have consistently been tested as accurate over the last four years.)
Don't be surprised if Matthews comes up in potential trade talks this month, with the Texans being a potential fit.

Stuck in the middle

Tom Savage, Houston Texans: Despite a strong start to training camp by rookie Deshaun Watson, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle writes that Tom Savage is "clearly No. 1" because of his sharp play. After learning Bill O'Brien's system the last three seasons, this could be Savage's only chance to enter a season as an NFL starting quarterback. He's just not set up for success.
The loss of No. 2 receiver Will Fuller, who is out until at least October with a broken collarbone, exposes the Texans wideout group as one of the thinnest in football. The Texans hope that youngsters Jaelen Strong or Braxton Miller can step up, but the team may have to look outside the organization for help. Left tackle Duane Brown's holdout also shines a light on an offensive line that was shaky a year ago and doesn't necessarily look better. It's not all on the quarterback in Houston.

Losers

The Chargers' draft class: GM Tom Telesco's incredibly bad injury luck has traveled with him up north. One week after announcing first-round pick Mike Williams is not expected to practice this camp with a back injury that calls into question his ability to play this year, the team lost second-round guard Forrest Lamp for the season to a torn ACL. Third-round center Dan Feeney remains healthy, although he's still practicing with the second-team offensive line. The group protecting QB Philip Rivers is a makeshift unit hoping for a lot of variables to break its way. This all sounds too familiar to Chargers fans.

Baltimore's backup quarterback options: There was great outcry last week when the Ravens signed another camp arm, Josh Woodrum, instead of Colin Kaepernick. That move had little to do with Kaepernick's chances for future employment in Baltimore. The team's pickup of tackle Austin Howard could be a much bigger factor. The team signed the former Raiders tackle for more than $5 million, essentially vaporizing the rest of its cap space for 2017. While the team could still make room for Kaepernick if it wanted, it just became more difficult.
Seattle could prove to be a better fit for Kaepernick. Seahawks leadership hasn't expressed the public ambivalence that we saw in Baltimore, and the need for a backup quarterback is growing. Second-year pro Trevone Boykin has reportedly struggled early in Seahawks camp, with even the perennially sunny Pete Carroll failing to stick up for him.

Ryan Tannehill: Conor Orr did a great job examining Tannehill's future in Sunday's edition of "What We Learned," recognizing that the Dolphins could choose to move on from Tannehill -- who could require knee surgery -- in 2018 with few financial repercussions. The entire situation promises to get messy, and much of it is out of Tannehill's hands. Cutler could play well enough for the team to put Tannehill on the trade block, and it's possible the Dolphins could ask Tannehill to renegotiate his salary. He'll be 30 years old next season, and he still hasn't proven he's a true franchise quarterback.

Kevin White's confidence: Consider it a bad sign that White had to dispute a public account from his receivers coach in Chicago that the duo watched White's college film lately to remember how dominant he could be.
"No, [I don't need that reminder], I see it every day on film," White told reporters, via ESPN.
Bears coaches have spoken about White needing to tune out the media, but their public comments betray a lack of faith in the team's No. 7 overall pick from 2015.
"We have to figure out, 'Hey, this is what Kev does well,' " offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains said over the weekend. "And maybe it's everything. Maybe it's seven or eight routes. Maybe it's three or four."
It's Year 3 of his NFL career, and White is competing for practice time with journeymen, his coaches still unsure about what he does well.

Bay Area Smiths: Linebacker Malcolm Smith, recipient of one of the most generous free-agent contracts of the offseason, was the only 49ers defender who played in coordinator Robert Saleh's defense before. Now Smith is out for the season with a torn pectoral muscle, which should open up a starting job for rookie Reuben Foster. (Ray-Ray Armstrong is also in the mix.)
Across the Bay, Raiders coaches sent a message to cornerback Sean Smith by demoting him to No. 4 cornerback behind T.J. Carrie and undrafted rookie Breon Borders. Keep in mind this demotion happened even with first-round pick Gareon Conley sidelined. If not for the $9.25 million guaranteed Smith is set to earn this season, he would be a strong candidate for release.

Handicapper
Tokens
Jets WR Quincy Enunwa (neck) done for season.

DGprbiFXkAEvJds.jpg

The Jets' young, thin wide receiver group looks even thinner Monday following the devastating news that fourth-year pro Quincy Enunwa will miss the season with a neck injury.
Jets coach Todd Bowles said Enunwa has a bulging disc and that a second opinion will likely indicated surgery along with a 6-9 month recovery process.
NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported that the injury Enunwa suffered at practice on Saturday will end his year before it started. A sixth-round pick in 2014, Enunwa steadily worked his way up the depth chart into a position where he was the closest thing the team had to a No. 1 receiver. His toughness between the hash marks and ability to make plays after the catch was reminiscent of a young Jerricho Cotchery in New Jersey.
It's a heartbreaking development for the overachieving Nebraska product, whose contract runs out after 2017. It also leaves an already-shaky passing game with fewer options. Robby Anderson, Charone Peake and rookie ArDarius Stewart are now projected as the top three receiving options. They've combined for 62 career catches in two NFL seasons.
The Jets entered last season with Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Enunwa forming one of the deeper positions on the team. Like much of the offense, the receiver group now ranks among the league's worst. That will make a difficult task even harder for first-time coordinator John Morton and quarterback Josh McCown, assuming he wins the team's starting job .

Handicapper
Tokens
Vince Wilfork announces retirement with BBQ ad.

DGpRULwV0AEQKew.jpg

Retirement in the internet age is nothing like the stuffy press conferences of old. So it should not come as a surprise that Vince Wilfork, one of the greatest nose tackles -- and personalities -- in NFL history, went out with a bang on Monday.
The 35-year-old run stuffer, who flirted with the idea of retirement after Houston was bounced from the playoffs this past season, made it official via a sponsored Kingsford Barbecue video hyping up his next career as a champion of smoked meats.
Boiling down Wilfork's career to this would be a tremendous disservice and hopefully there is a chance to celebrate the scope of his on-field accomplishments.
A first-round pick by the New England Patriots in 2004, Wilfork won a pair of Super Bowls for Bill Belichick, made five Pro Bowl appearances and earned a first-team All-Pro nod in 2012 and three second-team All-Pro nods. He finishes his career with 16 sacks, 12 fumble recoveries, 24 pass breakups, three interceptions and five forced fumbles alongside 559 tackles.
Of course, the complicated aspect of Wilfork's legacy is the effect he had on opposing offenses -- something that cannot fit neatly into a box score.
Nose tackles are thought to be a dying breed in the NFL, but in Belichick's versatile, shape-shifting defense, Wilfork was a perfect centerpiece. From expertly swallowing up double-teams to creating five-car pileups in the backfield, there was often no answer for the 330-plus pound behemoth.
His legendary Hard Knocks appearance in Houston decked out with custom denim overalls introduced Wilfork to a new town full of adoring fans, but may have obscured the central takeaway that should be associated with his career: Wilfork was almost impossible to block for more than a decade and, in an NFL era when fans are becoming more knowledgeable about the plays that truly change a game, Wilfork should be given Hall of Fame consideration.
The competitive barbecue circuit won't know what hit it.

Handicapper
Tokens
DGqwFlSXcAA_1CK.jpg

Handicapper
Tokens
Marcus Mariota to play in Titans preseason opener.

DGrWhR_UwAA_dID.jpg

Dalvin Cook finally has some competition in Mankato. The Vikings activated running back Latavius Murray off of the physically unable to perform (PUP) list on Monday. Murray had been sidelined while recovering from offseason ankle surgery.
The team added that Murray will practice on Monday.
The former Raiders running back returns to Vikings practice at the perfect time. Murray's absence paved the way for the second-round pick Cook to take more snaps, and from all indications, Cook made the most of his time with the ones. Now with Murray back in fold, we might get a better picture of how the Vikings intend to balance the two backs in the regular season.

In other Vikings injury news, tackle Riley Reiff returned to practice Monday after missing more than a week of camp with a back injury.

Here are the other injuries we're monitoring on Monday:

1. The Jets' lone remaining starting wide receiver from last season will not play in 2017. Quincy Enunwa will miss the sesaon after suffering a season-ending neck injury in Saturday's practice, sources told NFL Network's Mike Garafolo. Enunwa recorded 58 catches for 857 yards and four touchdowns in 2016 and was slated for an increase in targets and production.

2. Cam Newton is still not participating in full throwing drills. For the third straight practice, the Panthers quarterback threw softly off to the side with trainers, and looked "comfortable" doing so, per ESPN.com's David Newton. Panthers coach Ron Rivera told reporters that he and the team doctors are pleased with where Newton is in his rehab process.

3. Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota will play in the team's preseason opener against the Jets, coach Mike Mularkey announced Monday night. Coaches will determine how much the signal-caller plays later this week. Mariota suffered a fractured fibula in Week 16 last season.

4. Good news for the Bills: Sammy Watkins participated in team drills on Monday after the injury-prone wide receiver tweaked his left ankle during Sunday's practice. Watkins clarified Monday that he is fine and that the minor injury is unrelated to the foot ailment that has bothered him throughout his career.

5. Redskins wide receiver Josh Doctson suffered a "slight pull" of his hamstring. Jay Gruden told reporters the second-year wideout is "day-to-day" going forward.

6. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll told reporters that rookie defensive tackle Malik McDowell will be out "quite a while." McDowell suffered a concussion and facial injuries in an ATV accident in July. The rookie was placed on the non-football injury (NFI) list immediately upon reporting to camp.

7. Dolphins running back Jay Ajayi remains in concussion protocol.

8. Bears coach John Fox told reporters that center Eric Kush tore his hamstring and will undergo season-ending surgery. Kush started four games at guard for Chicago last season.

9. The 49ers officially placed linebacker Malcolm Smith on injured reserve on Monday. Smith suffered a torn pectoral over the weekend and is out for the remainder of the season.

10. Bengals backup tight end C.J. Uzomah was carted off of the practice field on Monday with a leg injury and will undergo tests, according to ESPN.com's Katherine Terrell.

11. Titans running back DeMarco Murray returned to practice Monday night after missing some time due to a hamstring injury, per the team's official website.

Handicapper
Tokens
[h=1]Cam Newton will sit out Panthers' preseason opener.[/h]
DGuIaaeXYAAPNgr.jpg

The Carolina Panthers will kick off the preseason on Wednesday without Cam Newton.
Coach Ron Rivera said Tuesday that Newton will not play in the preseason opener versus the Houston Texans, which will air at 7:30 p.m. ET on NFL Network.
The news comes as no surprise with Newton sitting out team sessions since the opening week of training camp after undergoing shoulder surgery this offseason.
After doing some light tossing with the trainer on Monday, Newton again threw on the side on Tuesday, but ramped up the velocity slightly.
We expected Newton to sit out at least the first week of preseason after missing team sessions the past week. The former NFL MVP still has a month to get ready for the regular season. No one in Charlotte is panicking yet, but the longer Newton sits out, the more questions we'll have about his rhythm heading into the season in a revamped offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gift-express
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com