Forum: College Football Forum - Sponsored by:

Thread: Picks without writeups? Why bother

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RX Senior
    Unless the guy posting picks is a long-time poster, and most on here aren't, YTD records are meaningless…unless... you give us something? anything? as to why you like a play, then you have my attention. Otherwise, there's no reason to look. Our YTD records can go south at anytime.

RX Local
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhuge View Post
    So basically people come on this forum to copy other people's football picks? Weird. As for me, I take pride in knowing my football.
    No, they come on here liking a team and if a certain poster is on the opposite side, it gives them reason to pause and think about it a bit.

RX Senior
    I def do love reading the write ups. But if it's a loser, then it doesn't mean much. I still appreciate the time the poster takes to make a write up. But if someone posted a 60% record with standard -110 juice and no write up. Who the hell wouldn't tail them ???

These are your "Write-Ups." There's nothing in here that I could EVER learn, except for the Girls who can't play Video Games because the Power is out..

Perhaps the Title of this thread should be "Picks without GOOD Writeups Why Bother." Dude please. Putting Crap on Paper does not help anyone. Maybe win a few games, then Lecture the Choir? I'm catching a plane to Nassau in a few minutes to inspect some damage to my property so this is my last post in this thread, and maybe my post this week on this site..77 Consecutive Stock Winners? Yep. I got some Swamp Land for Sale in the Bahamas. How many acres you want?

Cincinnati +4 MIAMI OH – The Bearcats have beaten Miami straight up 10 times in a row. This year they are getting points. They actually played Michigan pretty tough last week…and their defense played particularly well. Even though they lost 36-14, Michigan scored 9 points very late in the game with a safety and a pick 6. Playing Miami OH will be a big step down in class, and they will be hungry for a win. Miami already lost this year to Marshall (31-26) a team ranked lower than the Bearcats.

Georgia Tech -2 UCF – The Yellow Jackets had 655 yards of offense against Tennessee in week 1 and lost the game by one point, despite having 2 critical turnovers. Meanwhile the George O’Leary Liars had a body bag game against FIU and then have been worrying all week about Irma. The coaches wives are yelling at their husbands because they have no air conditioning in their house. All of the player’s girlfriends have no power in their house, so they can’t go over there and play video games after practice. Should be an easy GT win against a very distracted inferior opponent.

Lsu -6.5 MISS ST – The Bulldogs have been lighting it up, scoring an average of 53 ppg against the likes of Charleston Southern and LA Tech. Not so fast my friend. This week, they’ll be facing a real defense. LSU shutout a normally potent BYU team and did not allow them past their own 47 yd line. Guice will have a big day running the ball, taking the Bulldog crowd out of the game early.

Air force +25.5 MICHIGAN – Obviously Michigan is going to win this game. Air Force is going to keep running the option no matter what the score is. They had a week off and this will be a HUGE game for them. If they can run over 80 plays, Michigan won’t have enough time to cover. Michigan is averaging 35 points per game. That means the Falcons only a touchdown and a field goal to cover. If Air Force can play a clean game, and get 1 turnover, they shouldn’t have any problem here taking all of these points.

Virginia tech -22.5 ECU – I Googled the definition of horror show and found ECU’s defense on the front page search. The Pirates D has given up over 600 yards of offense in each of their first two games, against James Madison (ugh) and West Virginia, losing by 36 points to WVU. Oh, by the way, Virginia Tech beat West Virginia in Week 1. Laying the wood and taking the Hokies.
    2017 CBB Totals Final 31-21 59.6%
    2017 MLB Program Totals Final 140-125-7 +9.36 Units

I think it depends on the poster. My system is all numbers based. Would anyone really want to read all of the number stuff on each game? Plus, it is time consuming to write all of it up. Plus, you open yourself up for scrutiny...you may hit 55-60%, but if people don't like the system, they will start ragging it.

Here's an example. My system produces a final score for the game. It said that Houston would beat Arizona 57-6, because of Houston solid projected run D and Arizona putred projected D. Did I really think that would happen? No. If I put that out here, I would get lambasted. Did it win? Yes. Not by 51, but it won.

RX Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBingo View Post
    These are your "Write-Ups." There's nothing in here that I could EVER learn, except for the Girls who can't play Video Games because the Power is out..

Perhaps the Title of this thread should be "Picks without GOOD Writeups Why Bother." Dude please. Putting Crap on Paper does not help anyone. Maybe win a few games, then Lecture the Choir? I'm catching a plane to Nassau in a few minutes to inspect some damage to my property so this is my last post in this thread, and maybe my post this week on this site..77 Consecutive Stock Winners? Yep. I got some Swamp Land for Sale in the Bahamas. How many acres you want?

Cincinnati +4 MIAMI OH – The Bearcats have beaten Miami straight up 10 times in a row. This year they are getting points. They actually played Michigan pretty tough last week…and their defense played particularly well. Even though they lost 36-14, Michigan scored 9 points very late in the game with a safety and a pick 6. Playing Miami OH will be a big step down in class, and they will be hungry for a win. Miami already lost this year to Marshall (31-26) a team ranked lower than the Bearcats.

Georgia Tech -2 UCF – The Yellow Jackets had 655 yards of offense against Tennessee in week 1 and lost the game by one point, despite having 2 critical turnovers. Meanwhile the George O’Leary Liars had a body bag game against FIU and then have been worrying all week about Irma. The coaches wives are yelling at their husbands because they have no air conditioning in their house. All of the player’s girlfriends have no power in their house, so they can’t go over there and play video games after practice. Should be an easy GT win against a very distracted inferior opponent.

Lsu -6.5 MISS ST – The Bulldogs have been lighting it up, scoring an average of 53 ppg against the likes of Charleston Southern and LA Tech. Not so fast my friend. This week, they’ll be facing a real defense. LSU shutout a normally potent BYU team and did not allow them past their own 47 yd line. Guice will have a big day running the ball, taking the Bulldog crowd out of the game early.

Air force +25.5 MICHIGAN – Obviously Michigan is going to win this game. Air Force is going to keep running the option no matter what the score is. They had a week off and this will be a HUGE game for them. If they can run over 80 plays, Michigan won’t have enough time to cover. Michigan is averaging 35 points per game. That means the Falcons only a touchdown and a field goal to cover. If Air Force can play a clean game, and get 1 turnover, they shouldn’t have any problem here taking all of these points.

Virginia tech -22.5 ECU – I Googled the definition of horror show and found ECU’s defense on the front page search. The Pirates D has given up over 600 yards of offense in each of their first two games, against James Madison (ugh) and West Virginia, losing by 36 points to WVU. Oh, by the way, Virginia Tech beat West Virginia in Week 1. Laying the wood and taking the Hokies.

Have a safe trip and I hope your property is ok......and yes I do have 77 consecutive profitable stock trades. My forum has been around for 14 years. www.mrmarketishuge.com

RX Member
    [QUOTE=BobbyBingo;12232573]These are your "Write-Ups." There's nothing in here that I could EVER learn, except for the Girls who can't play Video Games because the Power is out..

[/QUOTE

Why the hostility? You & others here claim to be successful high rollers who win money consistently betting sports yet you take the time to post often on a public sports form. If I was betting & winning big money, I'd have much better things to do than post unprovoked angry comments to another poster who had the audacity to bring up a legitimate issue. There's probably more outright lying & embellishment on these sports forums than there is at a typical Trump rally/press conference.

[QUOTE=dg84;12232609]

[/QUOTE

Why the hostility? You & others here claim to be successful high rollers who win money consistently betting sports yet you take the time to post often on a public sports form. If I was betting & winning big money, I'd have much better things to do than post unprovoked angry comments to another poster who had the audacity to bring up a legitimate issue. There's probably more outright lying & embellishment on these sports forums than there is at a typical Trump rally/press conference.
    Holy Crap! You don't get it either. I give up. I've never posted anywhere until January and only in my threads of picks since then. I am trying to help this guy understand that successful Bettors don't share info. It's pretty simple.. Writeups are fine but not necessary and in fact I would be more inclined to follow someone who DID NOT DO WRITEUPS. You people carry on. I'm out of here. Jeez..

RX Junior
    [QUOTE=BobbyBingo;12232623]
    Quote Originally Posted by dg84 View Post

Holy Crap! You don't get it either. I give up. I've never posted anywhere until January and only in my threads of picks since then. I am trying to help this guy understand that successful Bettors don't share info. It's pretty simple.. Writeups are fine but not necessary and in fact I would be more inclined to follow someone who DID NOT DO WRITEUPS. You people carry on. I'm out of here. Jeez..
    Help me understand how my write up, or anyone else's write up, can affect the outcome of the football game? We make our bets, post a write up and the result of the game is the result of the game. Are you telling me that Baker Mayfield reads this forum and that influences how he plays? Why would it matter if this info is shared?....Please tell us, I would really like to know as I am new here.

RX Senior
    Bobby- It's not like we're asking for some inside info you got in the locker room or from a player or staff member of a college team. Not that any of us get that. You've been successful at your total plays, and I fail to see why sharing your reasons for your plays would effect your future success in any way. RX bettors certainly don't change the line. Ain't none of us here worrying the books or changing the outcome of a game. No write-ups are fine, though..to each his own. But I've learned a lot about handicapping football on this forum(and others), and I thank those willing to share their knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by o fred View Post
    Bobby- It's not like we're asking for some inside info you got in the locker room or from a player or staff member of a college team. Not that any of us get that. You've been successful at your total plays, and I fail to see why sharing your reasons for your plays would effect your future success in any way. RX bettors certainly don't change the line. Ain't none of us here worrying the books or changing the outcome of a game. No write-ups are fine, though..to each his own. But I've learned a lot about handicapping football on this forum(and others), and I thank those willing to share their knowledge.
    I'm sorry that you Fail to understand why sharing the reasons for my plays WOULD affect my future success. But I did try to help you understand. A LOT. That's all I can do. You Guys can carry on this ill informed thread without me. I just don't have the time...

RX Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhuge View Post
    Just my 2 cents...most of this forum is littered with members showing us their plays for the week, yet we hardly see any explanation at all. Don't you think even a few words of sharing your insight would be more useful than merely telling us what you're playing? Otherwise we could just flip a coin and post the result of the coin flip. Don't get me wrong, people should feel free to continue doing what they're doing - I just think a little write up would be more interesting.

Comments?
    Totally agree.

Most share no rationale at all. No one points out interesting angles IMO other than the usual drab stuff here and there.

EXAMPLE:

This week Chicago, Detroit, GB all covered.

Not one poster says on Monday: "hey, all three NFC North teams covered, how about Minnesota - 3 tonight?"

Sure that is not the only way to look at the Monday night game... but not ONE poster pointed it out. (this is just an example, I could give 30 more, just this last weekend)

Yes, there are some good handicappers on this site, they must know what they are doing to some extent, but nobody is really helping others.

[QUOTE=iamhuge;12232625]

Help me understand how my write up, or anyone else's write up, can affect the outcome of the football game? We make our bets, post a write up and the result of the game is the result of the game. Are you telling me that Baker Mayfield reads this forum and that influences how he plays? Why would it matter if this info is shared?....Please tell us, I would really like to know as I am new here.
    Trade secrets ��

Quote Originally Posted by o fred View Post
    It is not so much about some user here changing the line, I guess. But for example take a total: I am pretty sure that a large part of setting totals for sportsbooks is done "automatically", using lots of data/stats and connecting that data to come up with a number for a certain matchup. It probably isn't 100% and there is some adjusting done manually afterwards before releasing the line, but a good part should be stats-/number based.
    So a serious bettor is pretty much going up against the bookies with the goal to come up with a better "formula" to calculate a total, based more or less on the same available data. So if you manage to do that and realize that you can beat totals because you calculate them better than the sportsbooks, why would you publish that data openly? Doesn't really make much sense because you give your edge away. Maybe nobody will read your threads and info here at therx, but if you really beat the books constantly, your threads/posts should receive some attention....
    Way harder to reverse engineer your "edge" if you just post the picks without reasoning.

Having said all that, I can easily write up some reasoning without giving away that info...but in that case the write-up probably itself isn't really that helpful because it would mostly be a summary of nice tidbits read somewhere else or information that doesn't affect the betting line much or is already included in the line...
    On the other hand there are so many different approaches to handicapping, that some other approaches aren't really affected that much: If I select my spots carefully and e.g. I am betting based on things like players missing (information advantage, knowing about a player being out before the books do or thinking that the loss of player X is more/less important than the betting line reflects) or other things that you can't easily put into a formula or calculate in a standardized way, then I can probably do a really good write-up with valuable information without possibly hurting myself much on future bets.

RX Local
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatwave View Post
    I think it depends on the poster. My system is all numbers based. Would anyone really want to read all of the number stuff on each game? Plus, it is time consuming to write all of it up. Plus, you open yourself up for scrutiny...you may hit 55-60%, but if people don't like the system, they will start ragging it.

Here's an example. My system produces a final score for the game. It said that Houston would beat Arizona 57-6, because of Houston solid projected run D and Arizona putred projected D. Did I really think that would happen? No. If I put that out here, I would get lambasted. Did it win? Yes. Not by 51, but it won.
    Are your plays based on a system Heat?

RX Local
    Quote Originally Posted by Serbone View Post
    Totally agree.

Most share no rationale at all. No one points out interesting angles IMO other than the usual drab stuff here and there.

EXAMPLE:

This week Chicago, Detroit, GB all covered.

Not one poster says on Monday: "hey, all three NFC North teams covered, how about Minnesota - 3 tonight?"

Sure that is not the only way to look at the Monday night game... but not ONE poster pointed it out. (this is just an example, I could give 30 more, just this last weekend)

Yes, there are some good handicappers on this site, they must know what they are doing to some extent, but nobody is really helping others.
    So the guy that posts winners, but doesn't give you write ups isn't helping you?

You guys sound kind of ungrateful.

RX Junior
    there isn't a right or wrong answer to this really. Some people, like me, enjoy learning more about the teams and hearing about opposing views on a game. I don't expect anyone to come here and post their winning 'system'. But as another poster mentioned, most of us have a certain teams we know better than others and sharing that knowledge can help us all formulate our own views. Although I have certainly followed others just because they have had a hot hand, for me the enjoyment in this hobby is intellectual, mathematical and of course $$$$. But I strive to understand and appreciate those that are willing to share their thoughts. I had a pretty good thesis on the Maryland at Texas game to start the season that I posted here as I know the teams in the Big 12 better than others. Luckily I was correct on that outcome, but even if I was wrong, I think I pointed out a few salient points that were not well known to many on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Enfuego View Post
    Are your plays based on a system Heat?
    Yes. Totally statistically based. Some don't like this approach because the thought is that numbers may be deceiving. Maybe so, but they never lie. The eye can deceive much easier than the numbers can.

Anyway, the first 3 weeks are based somewhat on pre-season projections that I create. From there on, it is raw stats. I only use the last 4 weeks of stats, as anything prior to that is old news. Teams can adjust quickly to weaknesses, or do something that triggers an uptick in play. The way I do it is that every team is labeled on offense - run, pass and balanced. Most teams are balanced in that they are somewhere around 55% run (give or take). I then look at the opposing teams defense against that bias. So in the example I gave above, Arizona was a running team - and Houston was, according to my projections, a Top 10 run defense. On the other side of the ball, Houston was balanced, and Arizona was projected by my stats to be a bad defense in general (100th or above). Thus, the line of 1 to me was ridiculous, despite Houston being on the road. I use these rankings to get a projected score, and then adjust based on power ratings and teams that are over or under-rated in certain spots (home dogs, etc.).

RX Member
    Iamhuge you have a valid point that I don't necessarily disagree with. I also like to have reasons why a team is 11 points better then another team.
    Problem is, for example, my NFL plays are strictly fades. I am not gonna put info up like Atlanta has 38.7% more rushing yards then New Orleans therefore they will beat them by more then 1 1/2.
    Was 2 and 0 last Sunday so like others have said, we are dealing in a results business here.
    BTW I like your write-ups, along with o fred's they are very good.

RX Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatwave View Post
    Yes. Totally statistically based. Some don't like this approach because the thought is that numbers may be deceiving. Maybe so, but they never lie. The eye can deceive much easier than the numbers can.

Anyway, the first 3 weeks are based somewhat on pre-season projections that I create. From there on, it is raw stats. I only use the last 4 weeks of stats, as anything prior to that is old news. Teams can adjust quickly to weaknesses, or do something that triggers an uptick in play. The way I do it is that every team is labeled on offense - run, pass and balanced. Most teams are balanced in that they are somewhere around 55% run (give or take). I then look at the opposing teams defense against that bias. So in the example I gave above, Arizona was a running team - and Houston was, according to my projections, a Top 10 run defense. On the other side of the ball, Houston was balanced, and Arizona was projected by my stats to be a bad defense in general (100th or above). Thus, the line of 1 to me was ridiculous, despite Houston being on the road. I use these rankings to get a projected score, and then adjust based on power ratings and teams that are over or under-rated in certain spots (home dogs, etc.).
    I like it!

RX Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by sol rosenberg View Post
    Iamhuge you have a valid point that I don't necessarily disagree with. I also like to have reasons why a team is 11 points better then another team.
    Problem is, for example, my NFL plays are strictly fades. I am not gonna put info up like Atlanta has 38.7% more rushing yards then New Orleans therefore they will beat them by more then 1 1/2.
    Was 2 and 0 last Sunday so like others have said, we are dealing in a results business here.
    BTW I like your write-ups, along with o fred's they are very good.
    I'm not sure I understand the logic. If you make your bet, then post the logical reason why you liked the team and then the public adores your reason and moves the line - who cares, you already made your bet. Help me understand.

RX Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfuego View Post
    So the guy that posts winners, but doesn't give you write ups isn't helping you?

You guys sound kind of ungrateful.
    I understand and yes I appreciate some of the posters that have solid records without write ups. But even these guys should provide a write up here and there, too, IMO.

Oklahoma was decimated on defense last year, a lot of top quality players returned to play against OSU... no mention of that by anybody.

Last year they did very very well despite playing a ton of second stringers on D.

So this year they are healthier and have power on both sides of the ball, lost two top RB's but have one of the best QB's in the land and perhaps the best OL in the NCAA.

So with a solid D they had a good outlook getting 7 points against a overrated vanilla OSU offense.

Did anybody write any of that?

RX Member
    OK here is my final statement...

A guy posts Giants + 4 1/2

Does he know when he post it that one of the best wide receivers in football is out, or not? Line went to 6, so he probably did not. So how do we know? If he said yes Beckham is out but the Giants D is still strong enough to contain Dallas and with Marshall and Ingram etc they have enough receivers to get the ball to...

But no, just "Giants + 4 1/2" so we do not know if the handicapper is taking that into consideration or thinks Beckham is playing.... see?

RX Local
    I understand and yes I appreciate some of the posters that have solid records without write ups. But even these guys should provide a write up here and there, too, IMO.

Oklahoma was decimated on defense last year, a lot of top quality players returned to play against OSU... no mention of that by anybody.

Last year they did very very well despite playing a ton of second stringers on D.

So this year they are healthier and have power on both sides of the ball, lost two top RB's but have one of the best QB's in the land and perhaps the best OL in the NCAA.

So with a solid D they had a good outlook getting 7 points against a overrated vanilla OSU offense.

Did anybody write any of that?
    If a guy picks at a 58% clip (which is outstanding BTW), why do you care what they write down on this page?

RX Local
    OK here is my final statement...

A guy posts Giants + 4 1/2

Does he know when he post it that one of the best wide receivers in football is out, or not? Line went to 6, so he probably did not. So how do we know? If he said yes Beckham is out but the Giants D is still strong enough to contain Dallas and with Marshall and Ingram etc they have enough receivers to get the ball to...

But no, just "Giants + 4 1/2" so we do not know if the handicapper is taking that into consideration or thinks Beckham is playing.... see?
    His pick lost. Don't follow him.