Sunday 10/29/17 ... Comps / Bonus Plays / Trends / Betting Info / Requests Etc.

Search

Tokens

Tokens
NHL Knowledge

Ducks won eight of last ten games with Carolina; they’re 4-1 in last five visits to Raleigh. Over is 4-1-1 in last six series games. Anaheim won three of its last four games; they split their last four road games. Three of their last four games went over. Hurricanes lost three of last four games overall (over 3-1)— they lost their last three home games.

Penguins won nine of last ten games with Winnipeg; over is 6-3 in last nine series games. Pittsburgh won three of last four visits to Manitoba. Penguins won five of their last seven games; they split their last six road games. Last three Pittsburgh games stayed under. Winnipeg lost three of last four games, losing last two games 2-1 in OT; Jets split their four home games. Over is 6-3 in their games this season.

Washington is 7-3 in its last ten games with Calgary, winning last three games in Saddledome; road team won five of last six series games. Over is 5-3 in last eight series games. Caps lost four of their last six games; they split their last six road games. Over is 5-2 in their last seven games. Flames lost four of their last five games; they’ve lost four in a row at home. Under is 3-1-1 in their last five games.

Tokens
ANAHEIM (5-4-0-1, 11 pts.) at CAROLINA (4-4-0-1, 9 pts.)

There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

Head-to-Head Series History
ANAHEIM is 3-1 (+1.2 Units) against the spread versus CAROLINA over the last 3 seasons
ANAHEIM is 3-1-0 straight up against CAROLINA over the last 3 seasons
3 of 3 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=+3.0 Units)

PITTSBURGH (7-4-0-1, 15 pts.) at WINNIPEG (4-3-0-2, 10 pts.)

PITTSBURGH is 4-1 (+3.0 Units) against the spread versus WINNIPEG over the last 3 seasons
PITTSBURGH is 4-1-0 straight up against WINNIPEG over the last 3 seasons
3 of 5 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+0.7 Units)

WASHINGTON (5-5-0-1, 11 pts.) at CALGARY (5-6-0-0, 10 pts.)

WASHINGTON is 3-1 (+1.2 Units) against the spread versus CALGARY over the last 3 seasons
WASHINGTON is 3-1-0 straight up against CALGARY over the last 3 seasons
2 of 4 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Over=-0.1 Units, Under=-0.3 Units)

StatFox Super Situations

PITTSBURGH at WINNIPEG
Play Against - Any team against the money line (PITTSBURGH) after allowing 2 goals or less in 2 straight games against opponent after losing 2 consecutive games in overtime 66-39 since 1997. ( 62.9% | 33.0 units ) 1-0 this year. ( 100.0% | 1.0 units )

PITTSBURGH at WINNIPEG
Play On - Home Favorites of -200 or less against the money line (WINNIPEG) off 2 or more consecutive road losses, tired team - when playing their 3rd game in 5 days 93-42 over the last 5 seasons. ( 68.9% | 38.1 units ) 0-1 this year. ( 0.0% | -1.4 units )

PITTSBURGH at WINNIPEG
Play On - Home teams against the money line (WINNIPEG) off 2 or more consecutive road losses, with a losing record in the first half of the season 85-54 over the last 5 seasons. ( 61.2% | 32.4 units ) 3-2 this year. ( 60.0% | 0.6 units )

Tokens
NHL Picks and Betting Tips

MORNING LINE REPORT

*NOTE* I finished writing this before lines opened but right when I went to submit, I noticed they started to pop up so I held off so I could update the chart with plays. I didn’t change any of the writing so keep that in mind when reading if something may not make sense.

The Toronto Maple Leafs closed at -135 yesterday (Pinnacle close) which was 25 cents lower than what I bet in the morning at -160. It was the single biggest move against me this season and I was perplexed by it all day. Well, the market got me on this one as the Leafs laid an egg (although Philly’s go-ahead goal at 2-1 shouldn’t have counted and then maybe it would have been a different result, but still the Leafs stunk it up). I’m usually on the right side of the line move about 70% of the time so I’m not too concerned when one goes against me, but when I’m off that much I definitely have to make note of it and investigate further. Maybe there’s something wrong with my Philadelphia formula or maybe it’s the Leafs so that’s something I’ll be spending time on today, trying to figure out if I need to change something (I already found something that could be the problem on the Toronto side, so hopefully it will be an easy fix).

The only Twitter addition yesterday was St. Louis as I added them late after Korpisalo was finally confirmed in net for Columbus and that worked out nicely for us. If you read yesterday’s article you were probably expecting added plays on the Islanders and Capitals as everything lined up as I had hoped but for some reason I didn’t pull the trigger. I’ll blame this virus that knocked me on my butt the past 48 hours for clouding my judgement but it was disappointing to miss out on a couple of easy underdog winners for no good reason. Hopefully the information helped someone cash a ticket on either of those two games.

We have a unique situation with the three games today as all the road teams are playing the second half of a back-to-back both on the road and that’s a big reason why my lines today will look juiced towards the home side. All three road teams are likely to play their backup goaltender today, as well, which is another significant hit.

Travel is a very important factor in line creation and we have lots of historical data to back up how different situations affect teams. A team playing their third game in four nights compared to a team who has had two days off is significant in value to the line. It’s even more if the tired team is on the road. Similarly, a team playing back-to-back games both on the road is not worth the same as a team playing back-to-back games at home. Oddsmakers account for all these things in the line already and you should be too.

I’m sure oddsmakers will also inflate the home sides a little bit today but I don’t expect lines to open as high as my number for Carolina and Calgary, especially, so expect some Twitter additions once we get some goaltender confirmations.

ANAHEIM DUCKS @ CAROLINA HURRICANES

Projected Goaltenders
Anaheim – Ryan Miller (probable)
Carolina – Scott Darling (confirmed)

Injury Report
Anaheim – Kesler (out), Eaves (out), Fowler (out), Bieksa (out)
Carolina – Stempniak (doubtful), Teravainen (questionable)

The Anaheim Ducks were sparked by a couple of powerplay goals last night and became the first team this season to knock off Tampa Bay on their home ice and were also the first time to keep Kucherov and Stamkos off the scoresheet with the 4-1 victory. The return of defenseman Sami Vatanen was another big boost for a team decimated by early injuries and his return took me by surprise. I tweeted out the update when I saw he was returning and noted that this one got by me. I’m usually on top of injuries as good as anyone but I missed that one yesterday.

Ryan Miller dressed as the backup for the first time this season and he’s likely to get his first start today after John Gibson made 31 saves last night. I would expect a bit of rust from the 37-year old and with the Ducks on the road back-to-back as I mentioned above, that combination is a significant boost to my number on the Canes.

The Carolina Hurricanes dropped a 2-1 decision to St. Louis at home on Friday night in a game that saw Teuvo Teravainen leave in the second period with an upper-body injury. It’s unclear if he’ll return today and he’s expected to be a game-time decision. Carolina is usually a tough place to play but the Canes have struggled on home ice thus far this season, dropping three of four so I would expect a big effort here today.

Carolina has dominated teams in possession in all but two games this season and are currently the second best overall possession team in the league at 5-on-5. Anaheim has struggled in this regard (likely due to their best puck-moving defensemen being out) and despite a sound win over the Lightning last night, the Ducks were still chasing the puck around for most of the night. Expect Carolina to control the flow of this game, as well.

I imagine we’ll have a play on the Canes here when this one opens.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS @ WINNIPEG JETS

Projected Goaltenders
Pittsburgh – Casey DeSmith/Matt Murray (unknown)
Winnipeg – Steve Mason/Connor Hellebuyck (unknown)

Injury Report
Pittsburgh – Schultz (out), Hunwick (out)
Winnipeg – Perreault (out), Lowry (out), Scheifele (probable)

The Pittsburgh Penguins lost a tight 2-1 game in Minnesota last night, giving up the winner at the midway mark of the third period. Now they travel to Western Canada for the next week beginning with a rematch from Thursday night in Winnipeg. The Penguins knocked off the Jets 2-1 thanks to a Phil Kessel breakaway winner in overtime.

Offense has suddenly become a problem for the defending champions with just six goals in their last four games and the team feels as if they aren’t putting together a full 60 minute effort. With the lack of depth compared to the past couple of seasons it’s not surprising that the Pens can’t go full out and terrorize team for entire games like they’re used to doing.
Sullivan said he wasn’t sure if he’d go back to Matt Murray tonight or give rookie Casey DeSmith his first NHL start so we’ll have to wait for this confirmation. Obviously it would be an incredibly huge swing to my number if Murray got the start again, even on a back-to-back. Pittsburgh unfortunately won’t hold a morning skate today so we’ll have to wait until Sullivan speaks with the media at 5 p.m. local time.

The Winnipeg Jets have secured at least one point in six of the last seven games but are coming off a couple of tough 2-1 overtime defeats to Pittsburgh and then Columbus. The Jets showed they could skate with the Penguins back in Pittsburgh on Thursday and now catch the Penguins in a tough travel spot so they’ll be looking to extract some revenge.

One thing to keep an eye on here this morning is the status of Mark Scheifele. He took a knee-on-knee hit in the third period on Friday but was able to finish the game. Maurice didn’t have an update after the game and I didn’t catch one yesterday. He’s probably good to go but you never know how a knee or elbow can react overnight with swelling so we’ll need to confirm him today.

If Scheifele is good to go and DeSmith starts for the Penguins, expect a play on Winnipeg here tonight. Like I mentioned, we may have to wait until closer to game time before we get the goaltending announcement so check in with me on Twitter around that time.

WASHINGTON CAPITALS @ CALGARY FLAMES

Projected Goaltenders
Washington – Philipp Grubauer (probable)
Calgary – Mike Smith (probable)

Injury Report
Washington – Niskanen (out), Burakovsky (out), Connolly (out)
Calgary – Jagr (questionable)

The Washington Capitals wrap up a three game trip through Western Canada after last night’s dominating third period resulted in a 5-2 win at Edmonton. The Caps overcame an early 2-0 deficit and scored five unanswered goals including three in the third period to break open a 2-2 tie.

Devante Smith-Pelly was inserted on a line with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov and the trio lit things up all night. Smith-Pelly has been bounced around a number of teams the past few years but I’ve always thought he was poorly utilized everywhere he’s played. With the Caps dealing with some injuries in their top-six, he should have a chance to show if he can be more consistent.

Philipp Grubauer is likely to get the start on the back-to-back tonight. The Caps have dropped both tail-ends of back-to-backs already this season and have looked poor in both. A 8-2 loss and Philadelphia and a 4-1 loss at home to Florida, both with Grubauer in net, probably shouldn’t be a huge surprise as this year’s version of the Caps doesn’t have the depth to handle these situations as well as before.

The Calgary Flames are in a bit of a funk right now having lost four of their last five and four of five overall on home ice. This will be the second game of a long seven game homestand where they need to bank some points so expect a little more intense effort from the Flames tonight, especially since they won’t play again until Thursday after this one.

One positive for the Flames lately has been the play of their “3M Line” consisting of Mikael Backlund, Matthew Tkachuk and Michael Frolik who become pests to opposing top lines, much like last season. They should be able to neutralize the Ovechkin line tonight.

Despite Calgary’s recent troubles their 5-on-5 play has been excellent as they’ve only allowed five goals over the past five games. It’s been their special teams which have mightily struggled. The Flames have allowed two powerplay goals in each of the last three games and eight overall in the last five games while not scoring a single powerplay marker of their own.

Jaromir Jagr is eligible to come off the IR today and he returned to practice on a line with Sam Bennett and Mark Jankowski yesterday. Gulutzan said if Jagr is ready then he’ll play but it won’t be decided until the morning skate.

We should have some value on the Flames tonight so I’ll be looking to add them later this morning

Tokens
NHL Projected Starting Goalies:

51 Anaheim Ducks +110 Over 5½ +100 *Miller: 1st start this season (15-9-4, 2.66, .914)
52 Carolina Hurricanes -130 Under 5½ -120 Darling: 3-3-1, 2.70, 0.899 (0-1-0, 1.04, .960)

53 Pittsburgh Penguins -120 Over 6 -105 *Murray: 7-1-1, 2.73, 0.913 (2-0-0, 2.48, .924)
54 Winnipeg Jets +100 Under 6 -115 *Mason: 0-3-1, 4.84, 0.872 (9-5-1, 2.47, .923)

55 Washington Capitals -125 Over 5½ -115 *Grubauer: 0-2-1, 4.67, 0.850 (0-0-1, 2.92, .897)
56 Calgary Flames +105 Under 5½ -105 *Smith: 5-5-0, 2.44, 0.927 (2-8-1, 3.65, .882)

Tokens
NBA Knowledge

Hawks won four of their last five games with Milwaukee (5-0 vs spread); Bucks are 1-4 vs spread in last five visits to Atlanta (under 3-2). Milwaukee is 3-2 to start season (over 3-2); they won by 8 at Boston in their only road game, 11 days ago. Hawks are 0-5 to start season (1-3-1 vs spread, under 4-0-1), losing to Denver by 5 in their home opener Friday night.

Spurs are 8-2 in their last ten games with Indiana, but Pacers covered five of last six series games. Under is 4-1 in last five series games. San Antonio is 4-1 but lost by 27 in Orlando Friday; they’re 2-1 on road. Three of Spurs’ last four games stayed under the total. Pacers are 2-3 to start the season (over 3-2), splitting pair of home games- they’re 0-3 scoring less than 130 points.

Hornets won their last seven games with Orlando (6-1 vs spread); over is 5-3 in last eight series games. Magic is 1-3 vs spread in last four visits to Charlotte. Orlando is 4-1 after beating Spurs by 27 Friday; they split pair of road games (1-1 vs spread). Over is 3-2 in their games. Charlotte is 2-3 to start season (under 5-0), winning two of their three home games.

Home side won seven of last eight Wizards-Kings games; Washington is 0-3-1 vs spread in last four visits to Sacramento (over 3-1). Wizards are 3-2 to start season, losing last two games at Lakers/Warriors by 3-3 points. Over is 3-2 in their games. Sacramento is 1-4 to start season (under 3-2), losing last three games- they lost both home games, by 5-8 points.

Nets won/covered six of their last seven games with Denver; last four series games went over the total. Nuggets are 1-4 vs spread in last five visits to Brooklyn. Denver is 2-3 to start season, 1-2 on road, 0-1 as a road underdog- all five of their games stayed under. Brooklyn is 3-0 at home, 0-2 on road (4-1 vs spread), with home wins by 5-12-5 points. Over is 2-2-1 in their games.

Cavaliers won their last 10 games with New York, covering last five series games. Knicks lost their last four visits to Cleveland (2-2 vs spread). Over is 2-0-1 in last three series games. New York is 1-3 to start season, 0-2 as a road underdog, losing away games by 21-21 points. Under is 3-1 in his last four games. Cavaliers lost three of their last four games (0-4 vs spread).

Golden State won nine of last ten games with Detroit; Pistons are 3-2 vs spread in last five series games- they’re 2-3 vs spread in last five visits to Oakland. Under is 5-2 in last seven series games. Detroit beat the Clippers in LA last night; they’re they won three of last four games, are 2-0 as road underdogs. Warriors won last three games, by 30-5-3 points; they’re 1-5 vs spread, 0-3 as home favorites...

Tokens
MILWAUKEE (3 - 2) at ATLANTA (1 - 5) - 10/29/2017, 3:35 PM

ATLANTA is 5-2 against the spread versus MILWAUKEE over the last 3 seasons
ATLANTA is 4-3 straight up against MILWAUKEE over the last 3 seasons
4 of 7 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

SAN ANTONIO (4 - 1) at INDIANA (2 - 3) - 10/29/2017, 4:35 PM

Top Trends for this game.
INDIANA is 10-0 ATS (+10.0 Units) in home games versus good defensive teams - allowing <=98 points/game over the last 3 seasons.
SAN ANTONIO is 1007-880 ATS (+39.0 Units) in all games since 1996.
SAN ANTONIO is 807-687 ATS (+51.3 Units) as a favorite since 1996.
SAN ANTONIO is 46-24 ATS (+19.6 Units) in the first half of the season over the last 3 seasons.
SAN ANTONIO is 39-23 ATS (+13.7 Units) after a non-conference game over the last 3 seasons.
SAN ANTONIO is 334-275 ATS (+31.5 Units) in non-conference games since 1996.
SAN ANTONIO is 208-145 ATS (+48.5 Units) off a upset loss as a favorite since 1996.
SAN ANTONIO is 406-325 ATS (+48.5 Units) when playing against a team with a losing record since 1996.

INDIANA is 3-1 against the spread versus SAN ANTONIO over the last 3 seasons
SAN ANTONIO is 3-1 straight up against INDIANA over the last 3 seasons
3 of 4 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

ORLANDO (4 - 1) at CHARLOTTE (2 - 3) - 10/29/2017, 6:05 PM

ORLANDO is 36-50 ATS (-19.0 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.

CHARLOTTE is 6-2 against the spread versus ORLANDO over the last 3 seasons
CHARLOTTE is 7-1 straight up against ORLANDO over the last 3 seasons
5 of 8 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

WASHINGTON (3 - 2) at SACRAMENTO (1 - 4) - 10/29/2017, 6:05 PM

WASHINGTON is 2-1 against the spread versus SACRAMENTO over the last 3 seasons
WASHINGTON is 3-1 straight up against SACRAMENTO over the last 3 seasons
2 of 4 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

DENVER (2 - 3) at BROOKLYN (3 - 3) - 10/29/2017, 6:05 PM

DENVER is 38-23 ATS (+12.7 Units) after a non-conference game over the last 3 seasons.
BROOKLYN is 5-15 ATS (-11.5 Units) in home games after a division game over the last 3 seasons.

BROOKLYN is 3-1 against the spread versus DENVER over the last 3 seasons
BROOKLYN is 3-1 straight up against DENVER over the last 3 seasons
4 of 4 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

NEW YORK (1 - 3) at CLEVELAND (3 - 3) - 10/29/2017, 7:05 PM

NEW YORK is 22-10 ATS (+11.0 Units) after a division game over the last 3 seasons.
CLEVELAND is 4-13 ATS (-10.3 Units) after a loss by 10 points or more over the last 2 seasons.
CLEVELAND is 30-50 ATS (-25.0 Units) when playing against a team with a losing record over the last 3 seasons.

CLEVELAND is 5-3 against the spread versus NEW YORK over the last 3 seasons
CLEVELAND is 8-0 straight up against NEW YORK over the last 3 seasons
6 of 8 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

DETROIT (4 - 2) at GOLDEN STATE (4 - 2) - 10/29/2017, 8:35 PM

GOLDEN STATE is 2-2 against the spread versus DETROIT over the last 3 seasons
GOLDEN STATE is 3-1 straight up against DETROIT over the last 3 seasons

MILWAUKEE @ ATLANTA
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Milwaukee's last 7 games when playing on the road against Atlanta
Milwaukee is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
Atlanta is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Milwaukee
Atlanta is 9-2 SU in its last 11 games when playing at home against Milwaukee

SAN ANTONIO @ INDIANA
San Antonio is 17-2 SU in its last 19 games when playing Indiana
San Antonio is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games when playing on the road against Indiana
Indiana is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games when playing San Antonio
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Indiana's last 5 games when playing San Antonio

DENVER @ BROOKLYN
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Denver's last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Denver's last 5 games on the road
Brooklyn is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games when playing Denver
Brooklyn is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing Denver

WASHINGTON @ SACRAMENTO
The total has gone OVER in 8 of Washington's last 10 games when playing on the road against Sacramento
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Washington's last 8 games on the road
Sacramento is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing at home against Washington
The total has gone OVER in 8 of Sacramento's last 10 games when playing at home against Washington

ORLANDO @ CHARLOTTE
Orlando is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Orlando's last 7 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Charlotte's last 5 games
Charlotte is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Orlando

NEW YORK @ CLEVELAND
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of New York's last 6 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of New York's last 5 games when playing on the road against Cleveland
Cleveland is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing New York
Cleveland is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing New York

DETROIT @ GOLDEN STATE
Detroit is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games
Detroit is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
Golden State is 21-3 SU in its last 24 games
The total has gone OVER in 13 of Golden State's last 16 games

StatFox Super Situations

MILWAUKEE at ATLANTA
Play Under - Home teams where the first half total is 100.5 to 105.5 after 2 or more consecutive unders, terrible defensive team - allowing 103+ points/game on the season 89-45 over the last 5 seasons. ( 66.4% | 39.5 units )

WASHINGTON at SACRAMENTO
Play Over - Road teams where the total is greater than or equal to 210 being called for 2+ less fouls/game than their opponents on the season, first half of the season 41-15 over the last 5 seasons. ( 73.2% | 24.5 units ) 1-0 this year. ( 100.0% | 1.0 units )

WASHINGTON at SACRAMENTO
Play Against - Home underdogs of +145 to +350 vs. the money line (SACRAMENTO) good 3PT shooting team (>=36.5%) against a poor 3PT shooting team (<=33%) 62-11 since 1997. ( 84.9% | 37.8 units )

Tokens
Los Angeles @ Houston
Astros are 7-1 at home in playoffs, outscoring opponents 37-16. Dodgers are 9-3 in the playoffs, 4-2 on the road. Since 1903, the Game 3 winner is 72-40 in that World Series.

Kershaw is 3-0, 2.96 in his last four starts; under is 10-4 in his last 14 starts. Dodgers are 12-2 in his road starts this year. Kershaw allowed one run in seven IP in Game 1 of this series- he is 7-7, 4.21 in 22 career playoff games (18 starts).

Keuchel is 0-2, 5.56 in his last two starts; his last three starts stayed under. Houston is 8-5 in his home starts this season. Keuchel allowed three runs in 6.2 IP in Game 1 of this series- he is 4-2, 2.84 in seven career playoff games (6 starts).

LA DODGERS (113 - 61) at HOUSTON (110 - 67) - 8:15 PM

CLAYTON KERSHAW (L) vs. DALLAS KEUCHEL (L)

LA DODGERS is 2-2 (+0.0 Units) against HOUSTON this season
1 of 2 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+0.0 Units)

CLAYTON KERSHAW vs. HOUSTON since 1997
KERSHAW is 4-2 when starting against HOUSTON with an ERA of 2.25 and a WHIP of 0.950.
His team's record is 5-4 (-1.4 units) in these starts. The OVER is 4-5. (-1.2 units)

DALLAS KEUCHEL vs. LA DODGERS since 1997
KEUCHEL is 0-1 when starting against LA DODGERS with an ERA of 4.05 and a WHIP of 1.049.
His team's record is 0-1 (-1.0 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 1-0. (+1.0 units)

LA DODGERS @ HOUSTON
LA Dodgers is 15-4 SU in its last 19 games
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of LA Dodgers's last 8 games when playing on the road against Houston
Houston is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against LA Dodgers
Houston is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing LA Dodgers

StatFox Super Situations

LA DODGERS at HOUSTON
Play On - All favorites with a money line of -110 or higher (LA DODGERS) good team, outscoring opponents by 0.5 or more runs/game on the season against opponent top level team, outscoring opponents by 1 or more runs/game on the season 151-73 over the last 5 seasons. ( 67.4% | 55.2 units ) 35-26 this year. ( 57.4% | -0.5 units )

StatFox Situational Power Trends

LA DODGERS at HOUSTON
HOUSTON is 71-41 (+19.4 Units) against the money line vs. good defensive catchers - allowing 0.5 or less SB's/game this season. The average score was: HOUSTON (5.2) , OPPONENT (4.2)

Tokens
MLB Umpire Assignment

909 Los Angeles Dodgers -148 Over 7 +100
910 Houston Astros +138 Under 7 -120
Bill Miller 2017: 14-18*, 17-14 o/u (2016: 18-15, 19-14 o/u)
Home team is 4-1 in Millers last 5 games behind home plate.
Road team is 5-2 in Millers last 7 interleague games behind home plate.
Road team is 5-0 in Millers last 5 Sunday games behind home plate.
Under is 42-12-1 in Millers last 55 Sunday games behind home plate.
Under is 26-8-2 in Millers last 36 Dodgers games behind home plate.

Tokens
NFL Week 8

Vikings (5-2) vs Browns (0-7) (in London) —
Kessler is third QB to start for Browns this year; he is 0-8 as an NFL starter, was 26-14 at USC. Cleveland has 18 turnovers (-12) in their last six games; they’re 1-5 vs spread in those games- four of their seven losses are by exactly three points. Minnesota won its last three games, allowing 14.3 pts/game; they’re 1-1 on road, with 26-9 loss at Pittsburgh, 20-17 win in Chicago. Under Zimmer, Vikings are 4-4 vs spread as a favorite away from home— they’re 2-1 vs Cleveland, losing 31-27 at home to Browns in last meeting, in 2013. NFC North teams are 11-8 vs spread outside their division, 3-2 if favored. AFC North non-divisional underdogs are 4-2 against the spread.

Bears (3-4) @ Saints (4-2) — New Orleans defense is way improved; Saints won last four games, allowing 6 TD’s on 38 drives, while scoring 3 of their own- they ran ball for 193-161 yards in last two games. NO is +40 in plays run in their last three games. Saints split their two home games. Chicago scored two defensive TD’s early in game LW, then sat on lead; they’re 2-1 in Trubisky starts, winning 27-24 in OT at Baltimore in his only road start. Saints won last three series games by 17-8-16 points; this is first series meeting since 2011, Bears’ first visit here since ’11- they lost last four visits here, with last win in Superdome in 1991. NFC North road underdogs are 3-4 vs spread outside their division; NFC South one favorites are 3-6.

Falcons (3-3) @ Jets (3-4) — Atlanta lost its last three games after a 3-0 start; they’ve got only one takeaway (-6) in last four games. Falcons were 13-33 (39.4%) on 3rd down in last three games; they were 14-30 (46.7%) in first three. Jets lost last two games despite leading both games 14-0; three of their last four games were decided by exactly 3 points. Gang Green is 4-0-1 vs spread in their last five games; they’re 2-1 at home (3-0 vs spread). Atlanta leads this series 6-5; they’re 3-2 in road games against the Jets. NFC South non-divisional favorites are 6-10 vs spread, 3-4 on road. AFC East underdogs are 7-2 vs spread, 2-0 at home. Last three Falcon games stayed under total; under is 4-3 in Jet games, 2-1 at home.

Panthers (4-3) @ Buccaneers (2-4) — Carolina lost 17-3 in Chicago LW; both Bear TD’s were scored by defense. Panthers turned ball over six times (-5) in losing last two games after a 4-1 start; they’re 3-1 on road. Carolina is -8 in turnovers in its three losses, -1 in its four wins. Bucs lost last three games, by 5-5-3 points, giving up 30-38 points in last two games- they’re 2-1 at home, with only home loss 19-14 to Patriots. Tampa Bay swept Carolina 17-14/17-16 LY, after losing previous six series games; Panthers won three of last four visits here. Five of last seven series totals were 36 or less. NFL-wide, divisional home favorites are 6-9-2 vs spread. Over is 3-1 in last four Carolina games, 4-1 in Buccaneers’ last five games.

49ers (0-7) @ Eagles (6-1) — Philly is on serious roll, but lost LT Peters for year Monday, a big blow to offense. Eagles won last five games, covered last four; they’re 11-9 vs spread in last 20 games as a home favorite, 2-1 this year, with home wins by 3-27-10. Iggles allowed 23+ points in five of their last six games. 49ers are 0-7, but 4-3 vs spread; they’re 3-1 vs spread as road underdogs, with road losses by 3-3-3-2 points. SF was outscored 37-10 in first half of their last two games. Niners won last two series games by 1-5 points; teams split last four meetings played here. NFC East non-divisional home favorites are 1-5 vs spread; NFC West non-divisional underdogs are 4-7 vs spread, 3-4 on road. Over is 4-1 in 49ers’ last five games.

Raiders (3-4) @ Bills (4-2) — Buffalo is 4-2 with a +10 turnover ratio; Bills are 3-0 at home, with wins by 9-10-3 points. Buffalo is 22-42 on 3rd down in its last three games. Oakland snapped 4-game skid with Thursday win over Chiefs, has three extra days to prep; Raiders are 1-2 on road, losing 27-10/16-10 at Washington/Denver in last two road tilts- their last two games were both decided by a point. Home side won last six series games; Oakland lost 24-23/38-35 in last two visits here- Raiders’ last win in Buffalo was in ’02. AFC West underdogs are 4-0 vs spread outside their division, 3-0 on road. AFC East home favorites are 1-3-1 against the spread. Under is 4-2 in Buffalo games, 3-0 in Raider road games.

Colts (2-5) @ Bengals (2-4) — Indy is 0-3 on road, losing by 35-28-14 points (0-3 vs spread); four of their five losses are by 14+ points- they’ve been outscored 134-44 in second half of games this year, have one TD on 19 drives in last two games. Bengals were held to 179 yards in 29-14 loss at Pittsburgh LW; they allowed 7-16 points in their two wins, are 0-3 when giving up more than 16 points. Cincy ran ball for only 74 yards/game in their last three games. Colts are 9-2 in last 11 series games; last meeting was 26-10 Indy win in 2014 playoff game. AFC South road teams are 2-4 vs spread, 2-2 as road dogs. AFC North favorites are 2-5 vs spread, 2-3 if at home. Under is 4-2 in Bengal games, 2-5 in Indy games.

Chargers (3-4) @ Patriots (4-2) — Chargers won last three games after an 0-4 start; they’re 3-0 vs spread as a road underdog, losing by 3 at Denver, winning SU at Giants/Raiders. Last five TD’s Chargers allowed all came on plays of 23+ yards. Patriots won last three games, by 5-7-16 points; they’re 1-3 vs spread as home favorite this year. NE stayed under their team total the last four weeks. Bolts lost last three series games, by 3-14-9 points; they lost last three visits to to Foxboro by 24-9-14 points- their last win was in ’05. AFC West underdogs are 4-0 vs spread outside their division, 3-0 on road. AFC East non-divisional home favorites are 1-3-1 vs spread. Last three Patriot games, last two Charger games stayed under the total.

Texans (3-3) @ Seahawks (4-2) — Houston won/covered five of its last six post-bye games; they scored 33+ points in last four games, with rookie QB Watson under center. Texans are 2-0 as a road dog- the two games were decided by total of 7 points- this is their first road game in over a month. Seahawks won/covered their last three games; they’re 2-0 at home, allowing two TD’s on 22 drives, but those games were against 49ers/Colts. Seattle is 2-1 in this series, winning 42-10 in Texans’ only visit here, in 2005; Seahawks won last meeting in OT in ’13. AFC South road teams are 2-4 vs spread, 2-2 as road dogs. NFC West teams are 7-10 vs spread outside their division, 2-1 as a home fave. Under is 4-2 in Seattle games, 0-4 in last four Texan games.

Cowboys (3-3) @ Redskins (3-3) — Dallas allowed 3-17-10 points in its three wins, 42-35-35 in its three losses; they’re 2-1 on road- since 2014, they’re 9-4 vs spread as a road favorite. Cowboys have 611 rushing yards in their last three games. Short week for Washington after physical loss to Iggles Monday night; Redskins scored 20+ points in last five games, are 2-1 at home- they’re 6-3 vs spread in last nine games as a home underdog. Road team won six of last seven series games; Dallas is 6-2 in last eight series games, winning last four visits here, by 1-27-3-4 points. NFL-wide, divisional home favorites are 6-9-2 vs spread. Four of last five Dallas games went over total; over is 3-1-1 in last five Redskin games.

Steelers (5-2) @ Lions (3-3) — Detroit won/covered its last five post-bye games; they were dog in 3 of the 5 games. Lions lost three of last four games overall; their OFFENSE gave up three TD’s in last game, a 52-38 loss in Superdome. Detroit is 1-2 at home; all three games went over the total. Pittsburgh is 3-1 on road, allowing 15.8 pts/game; all four games stayed under total. Pitt is 4-0 when they run ball for 100+ yards. Steelers won four in row, 12 of last 14 games vs Detroit; they won 28-20 in last visit here, in ’09. AFC North non-divisional favorites are 2-5 vs spread, 0-2 on road. NFC North non-divisional home underdogs are 5-2 vs spread. Five of last six Steeler games stayed under total; over is 3-1 in last four Detroit games.

Tokens
NFL Long Sheet

MINNESOTA (5 - 2) vs. CLEVELAND (0 - 7) - 10/29/2017, 9:30 AM

MINNESOTA is 27-13 ATS (+12.7 Units) in all games over the last 3 seasons.
MINNESOTA is 27-13 ATS (+12.7 Units) in all lined games over the last 3 seasons.
MINNESOTA is 20-9 ATS (+10.1 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest over the last 3 seasons.
MINNESOTA is 10-2 ATS (+7.8 Units) after 2 or more consecutive wins over the last 3 seasons.
CLEVELAND is 7-17 ATS (-11.7 Units) as an underdog of 3.5 to 9.5 points over the last 3 seasons.
CLEVELAND is 5-17 ATS (-13.7 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
CLEVELAND is 5-17 ATS (-13.7 Units) in all lined games over the last 2 seasons.
CLEVELAND is 5-16 ATS (-12.6 Units) as an underdog over the last 2 seasons.
CLEVELAND is 0-7 ATS (-7.7 Units) in all games where the total is between 35.5 and 42 points over the last 2 seasons.
CLEVELAND is 4-14 ATS (-11.4 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest over the last 2 seasons.
CLEVELAND is 5-14 ATS (-10.4 Units) in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
CLEVELAND is 4-14 ATS (-11.4 Units) after 2 or more consecutive losses over the last 2 seasons.
CLEVELAND is 1-9 ATS (-8.9 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 3 seasons.

There were no past matchups in this series during this time period.

CHICAGO (3 - 4) at NEW ORLEANS (4 - 2) - 10/29/2017, 1:00 PM

CHICAGO is 7-22 ATS (-17.2 Units) in a road game where the total is between 45.5 and 49 points since 1992.
CHICAGO is 47-73 ATS (-33.3 Units) in all games where the total is between 42.5 and 49 points since 1992.
NEW ORLEANS is 12-4 ATS (+7.6 Units) against conference opponents over the last 2 seasons.
NEW ORLEANS is 6-0 ATS (+6.0 Units) in October games over the last 2 seasons.
NEW ORLEANS is 6-0 ATS (+6.0 Units) when playing against a team with a losing record over the last 2 seasons.

ATLANTA (3 - 3) at NY JETS (3 - 4) - 10/29/2017, 1:00 PM

CAROLINA (4 - 3) at TAMPA BAY (2 - 4) - 10/29/2017, 1:00 PM

CAROLINA is 110-82 ATS (+19.8 Units) as an underdog since 1992.
CAROLINA is 24-11 ATS (+11.9 Units) in a road game where the total is between 42.5 and 45 points since 1992.
CAROLINA is 57-36 ATS (+17.4 Units) in road games in games played on a grass field since 1992.
CAROLINA is 81-49 ATS (+27.1 Units) when playing against a team with a losing record since 1992.
TAMPA BAY is 37-57 ATS (-25.7 Units) in October games since 1992.

CAROLINA is 3-1 against the spread versus TAMPA BAY over the last 3 seasons
TAMPA BAY is 2-2 straight up against CAROLINA over the last 3 seasons

SAN FRANCISCO (0 - 7) at PHILADELPHIA (6 - 1) - 10/29/2017, 1:00 PM

PHILADELPHIA is 13-5 ATS (+7.5 Units) in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.

OAKLAND (3 - 4) at BUFFALO (4 - 2) - 10/29/2017, 1:00 PM

OAKLAND is 50-80 ATS (-38.0 Units) in games where the line is +3 to -3 since 1992.

OAKLAND is 1-0 against the spread versus BUFFALO over the last 3 seasons
OAKLAND is 1-0 straight up against BUFFALO over the last 3 seasons
1 of 1 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

INDIANAPOLIS (2 - 5) at CINCINNATI (2 - 4) - 10/29/2017, 1:00 PM

LA CHARGERS (3 - 4) at NEW ENGLAND (5 - 2) - 10/29/2017, 1:00 PM

NEW ENGLAND is 19-7 ATS (+11.3 Units) in all games over the last 2 seasons.
NEW ENGLAND is 19-7 ATS (+11.3 Units) in all lined games over the last 2 seasons.
NEW ENGLAND is 18-7 ATS (+10.3 Units) as a favorite over the last 2 seasons.
NEW ENGLAND is 11-3 ATS (+7.7 Units) in home games against conference opponents over the last 3 seasons.
NEW ENGLAND is 12-3 ATS (+8.7 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest over the last 2 seasons.
NEW ENGLAND is 110-80 ATS (+22.0 Units) in games played on turf since 1992.
NEW ENGLAND is 12-3 ATS (+8.7 Units) after 2 or more consecutive wins over the last 2 seasons.
LA CHARGERS is 40-22 ATS (+15.8 Units) as a road underdog of 3.5 to 7 points since 1992.
LA CHARGERS is 94-67 ATS (+20.3 Units) in road games when playing with 6 or less days rest since 1992.
LA CHARGERS is 46-26 ATS (+17.4 Units) in games played on turf since 1992.
LA CHARGERS is 48-30 ATS (+15.0 Units) in road games when playing against a team with a winning record since 1992.

HOUSTON (3 - 3) at SEATTLE (4 - 2) - 10/29/2017, 4:05 PM

SEATTLE is 31-16 ATS (+13.4 Units) in home games in non-conference games since 1992.
SEATTLE is 35-60 ATS (-31.0 Units) in October games since 1992.
SEATTLE is 42-65 ATS (-29.5 Units) in weeks 5 through 9 since 1992.

DALLAS (3 - 3) at WASHINGTON (3 - 3) - 10/29/2017, 4:25 PM

WASHINGTON is 11-2 ATS (+8.8 Units) when playing with 6 or less days rest over the last 2 seasons.
WASHINGTON is 84-114 ATS (-41.4 Units) in home games since 1992.
WASHINGTON is 84-114 ATS (-41.4 Units) in home lined games since 1992.
WASHINGTON is 84-114 ATS (-41.4 Units) in home games in games played on a grass field since 1992.

WASHINGTON is 2-2 against the spread versus DALLAS over the last 3 seasons
DALLAS is 3-1 straight up against WASHINGTON over the last 3 seasons
3 of 4 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

PITTSBURGH (5 - 2) at DETROIT (3 - 3) - 10/29/2017, 8:30 PM

PITTSBURGH is 60-36 ATS (+20.4 Units) in October games since 1992.
PITTSBURGH is 67-43 ATS (+19.7 Units) in weeks 5 through 9 since 1992.

Tokens
NFL Trend Report

MINNESOTA @ CLEVELAND
Minnesota is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Minnesota's last 6 games
The total has gone UNDER in 11 of Cleveland's last 15 games
Cleveland is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games

CHICAGO @ NEW ORLEANS
Chicago is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Chicago's last 7 games
New Orleans is 4-0-1 ATS in its last 5 games when playing at home against Chicago
New Orleans is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Chicago

OAKLAND @ BUFFALO
Oakland is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Buffalo
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Oakland's last 5 games when playing Buffalo
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Buffalo's last 5 games when playing Oakland
The total has gone OVER in 10 of Buffalo's last 11 games at home

INDIANAPOLIS @ CINCINNATI
The total has gone OVER in 10 of Indianapolis's last 11 games on the road
Indianapolis is 9-2 SU in its last 11 games when playing Cincinnati
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Cincinnati's last 5 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Cincinnati's last 10 games

LA CHARGERS @ NEW ENGLAND
The total has gone OVER in 6 of LA Chargers's last 7 games when playing on the road against New England
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of LA Chargers's last 5 games when playing New England
New England is 15-2 SU in its last 17 games
New England is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games when playing at home against LA Chargers

ATLANTA @ NY JETS
Atlanta is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 19 of Atlanta's last 25 games
NY Jets is 4-0-1 ATS in its last 5 games
NY Jets is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home

SAN FRANCISCO @ PHILADELPHIA
The total has gone OVER in 4 of San Francisco's last 5 games
San Francisco is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
Philadelphia is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
Philadelphia is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home

CAROLINA @ TAMPA BAY
Carolina is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
Carolina is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Tampa Bay's last 6 games at home

HOUSTON @ SEATTLE
Houston is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Houston's last 5 games
Seattle is 10-1 SU in its last 11 games at home
Seattle is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games

DALLAS @ WASHINGTON
Dallas is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Washington
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Dallas's last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Washington's last 5 games at home
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Washington's last 5 games when playing Dallas

PITTSBURGH @ DETROIT
Pittsburgh is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games when playing Detroit
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Pittsburgh's last 7 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Detroit's last 6 games when playing Pittsburgh
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Detroit's last 5 games at home

Tokens
StatFox Super Situations

SAN FRANCISCO at PHILADELPHIA
Play On - Underdogs of 10.5 or more points (SAN FRANCISCO) after 7 or more consecutive losses against opponent after 1 or more consecutive wins 29-8 since 1997. ( 78.4% | 20.2 units )

INDIANAPOLIS at CINCINNATI
Play Over - Any team where the total is between 35.5 and 42 points team outgaining opponents by 0.75 to 1.5 yards per pass against team outgained by 1.5+ YPP, after allowing 7 or more passing yards/attempt last game 29-8 since 1997. ( 78.4% | 20.2 units )

DALLAS at WASHINGTON
Play Against - Home teams vs. the money line (WASHINGTON) with a poor scoring defense - allowing 24 or more points/game, after a playing a game where 50 total points or more were scored 106-80 over the last 5 seasons. ( 57.0% | 0.0 units ) 7-4 this year. ( 63.6% | 0.0 units )

CHICAGO at NEW ORLEANS
Play Against - Road underdogs of 2 to 6 points vs. the first half line (CHICAGO) off 2 or more consecutive upset wins as an underdog 67-31 since 1997. ( 68.4% | 32.9 units ) 0-1 this year. ( 0.0% | -1.1 units )

Tokens
Gridiron Angles - Week 8
By Vince Akins
VegasInsider.com

NFL PLAY ON ATS TREND:

The Falcons are 10-0 ATS (14.0 ppg) since October 24, 2010 as a favorite coming off a road game where they allowed at least 150 rushing yards.

NFL PLAY AGAINST TREND:

The Texans are 0-11 ATS (-9.7 ppg) since December 10, 2012 as a dog coming off a win where they scored at least 24 points.

TOP NFL PLAYER TREND:

The Seahawks are 8-0 ATS (12.3 ppg) since Nobember 2012 at home coming off a game where Russell Wilson threw at least 35 passes.

NFL O/U OVER TREND:

The Lions are 12-0 OU (12.0 ppg) since Dec 13, 2009 off a game as a road dog of more than three points where they committed multiple turnovers.

NFL O/U UNDER TREND:

The Seahawks are 0-10 OU (-12.7 ppg) since October 26, 2014 coming off a road game where they had at least 32 minutes time of possession.

NFL BIBLE ACTIVE TREND:

The Bengals are 12-0 ATS (+10.0 ppg) at home on turf when their opponent allowed mo

Tokens
NFL's Biggest Betting Mismatches: Week 8

Each week, Monty Andrews breaks down some of the underlying betting mismatches on the National Football League slate, giving you an inside edge when handicapping the schedule and setting your daily fantasy lineup.

Minnesota Vikings at Cleveland Browns (+9.5, 37.5)

Vikings' third-down shutdown D vs. Browns' offensive struggles

The Cleveland Browns approach the midway point of the NFL's regular season still looking for their first victory - and Week 8 presents as big a challenge as they've faced all year as they welcome the vaunted Minnesota Vikings defense to town. Cleveland nearly came away with win No. 1 last week but ultimately fell short 12-9 in overtime - and it was yet another shoddy performance on third down that played a major role in the Browns remaining winless. They'll get no relief in that regard this week.

The Vikings have done plenty of things well this season en route to a 5-2 record and sole possession of top spot in an NFC North division that is completely up for grabs. And third-down defense has the centerpiece of the Vikings' defensive effort, with Minnesota allowing teams to score or extend drives on just 27.3 percent of their opportunities - the second-lowest rate in football. The Bears, Packers and Ravens have gone a combined 13-for-45 on third downs during Minnesota's three-game winning streak.

That run of dominance on third-down plays should continue against a Browns offense that can't seem to figure anything out. Cleveland is converting an abysmal 28.7 percent of third-down opportunities, the worst rate in football; going 3-for-13 on Sunday against the visiting Tennessee Titans cost the Browns their shot at a first victory. With the quarterback situation up in the air - yet again - for this weekend, look for Cleveland to struggle extending drives against a tough Minnesota defense.

Oakland Raiders at Buffalo Bills (-2.5, 45.5)

Raiders' wretched rush attack vs. Bills' top-flight run D

Last week's last-second victory over the Kansas City Chiefs might have bought the Oakland Raiders some goodwill, but they'll need a much better effort if they hope to extend their fortunes this weekend in Buffalo. The Raiders rode a Michael Crabtree touchdown reception on the last play of the game to a 31-30 triumph over the Chiefs, but if they can't get their running game going, they'll face an uphill battle moving forward - and this will be a tough matchup to make inroads on the ground.

Oakland was forced to do without Marshawn Lynch after the veteran running back was ejected early in Thursday's thrilling victory. And while Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington fared well in his absence, the Raiders still mustered just 88 rushing yards on the evening. Acquiring Lynch was supposed to shore up the running game, but Oakland ranks 24th in rushing yards per game (92.9) and will need to find a way to be more reliant on the ground game in the future.

That future, however, might not start this week. The Bills own one of the most punishing run defenses in football, limiting opposing teams to 84.5 yards per game on the ground. That dominance was on full display in last week's 30-27 win over visiting Tampa Bay, as the Buccaneers mustered just 69 yards on 25 carries. Buffalo's 3.4 yards-per-carry-average against is the fourth-best rate among NFL defenses - and with Lynch suspended for Sunday's game, that rate could sink even lower.

Dallas Cowboys at Washington Redskins (+2.5, 50)

Cowboys' red-zone rampage vs. Redskins' defensive doldrums

The Cowboys had been scuffling going into last week's game in San Francisco, but they took out all of their early-season frustrations on the winless 49ers in a 40-10 rout. The Dallas defense still has a long way to go to become Super Bowl-calibre, but it's hard to argue with the assertion that the Cowboys' offense is already there. Dallas has been one of the most dangerous red-zone teams in the league, and will look to continue that downfield dominance against a Washington team struggling to prevent red-zone scores.

Dallas finished with a top-five red-zone touchdown rate last season and has picked up right where it left off, going into Week 8 ranked second in the league in red-zone visits resulting in six points (66.7 percent). Only the Green Bay Packers (73.9 percent) have been better - and with Aaron Rodgers on the shelf indefinitely, it shouldn't be long before the Cowboys own top spot. Ezekiel Elliott has been a major factor in this regard, tied for fourth in the NFL with four rushing touchdowns.

The Redskins' defense struggled all night long in a 34-24 loss in Philadelphia on Monday, and has been one of the most charitable units in football when it comes to red-zone offense. Washington has permitted teams to score touchdowns on 64.7 percent of their trips inside the Redskins' 20-yard line; only Miami, Green Bay and Cleveland have been worse. With Elliott already cleared to play in Week 8, it could be another long day for Washington's beleaguered red-zone defense.

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Detroit Lions (+3, 45)

Steelers' drive-killing prowess vs. Lions' first-down follies

The Steelers might have a claim as the best team in the AFC after rolling to a 29-14 victory over the rival Cincinnati Bengals. Pittsburgh is now 5-2 on the season and appears to have put its early-season drama behind it. Yet, for all the attention paid to the dynamic duo of Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown, it has been the Pittsburgh defense that has made the real difference so far - and when it comes to first downs, the Steelers own a decided edge over an inconsistent Lions team.

Pittsburgh has quashed opponents' drives better than almost anyone over the past three games, limiting foes to an average of 12.7 first downs - the second-fewest of any team over that stretch. The Bengals managed a meager 11 first downs in Sunday's loss, which dropped the Steelers' average first downs allowed to 15.4 on the season - behind only the Denver Broncos and Carolina Panthers, considered two of the top overall defenses in football.

The Detroit offense hasn't been firing on all cylinders quite yet; sure, it produced 38 points in the final game prior to the Week 7 bye, but that was only because the Lions were in catch-up mode for the entire game. Detroit is averaging a modest 18 first downs per game so far, good for 23rd in the league. That leaves the Lions near the middle of the pack in time of possession - another tick in favor of the Steelers, whose drive-killing defense has them ranked third overall in TOP.

Tokens
NFL Week 8 Lines That Make You Go Hmmm...

Longtime Las Vegas oddsmaker Peter Korner sizes up this week’s NFL schedule and picks out some of the lines making him go “hmmm...” in Week 8.

Minnesota Vikings vs. Cleveland Browns (+9.5, 37.5)

Being on neutral ground, the offshore opener of Minnesota -7.5 was quickly devoured by those sharp bettors who were expecting higher, like myself. I made this at least -10.5 bordering -11 from the get-go.

Minnesota has quickly become a defensive force in the league allowing 17, 14, 17, 10 and 16 points in its last five games. That stop unit going against a Cleveland offense that is struggling mightily, scoring 7, 14, 17 and nine points in the past four weeks, appears to be good reason that the difference between these two will easily cover any betting number out there up and including the closing line. The Vikings’ point total has improved in three straight weeks. The Browns are losing by an average of over 16 points per game in their last four weeks and nearly by 9.5 for the season.

If you were hedging like most of us early in the betting, taking the Vikings now, instead of later, would be the wise move. Cleveland backers, all two of you, would best benefit by waiting this one out and checking back later to grab a potential double-digit number to your liking. Being that the perception that a difference of 10 is a key number (which it really isn’t), I don’t see this getting maximum play on Minnesota too consistently once it gets that high. Chances of this going over 10 points are minimal.

My strategy here also involves the fact that this is a “special” game, we might not see a letdown by the favored Vikings in a spot like this. Now at 5-2, the last thing Minnesota needs is a closely-fought game in which I am sure they have marked as a notch in the win column. If Cleveland had any talent, particularly at the quarterback position, they could surprise and stay close. But this is certainly not the case.

Insight into Vegas' opening odds and early sharp action for NFL Week 8 betting
There are some very interesting matchups on the NFL Week 8 schedule and we get the story behind those odds from Johnny Avello, executive director of race and sports at the Wynn Las Vegas, who gives his insight into the opening lines and early action.

Oakland Raiders at Buffalo Bills (-2.5, 45.5)

Oakland comes to Buffalo for what has become quite a shootout whenever these two teams’ cross paths. I absolutely agreed with the offshore opener of the Bills -3, but early betting has been on the Raiders, partly due to the stunning (and home field advantage) victory over the Chiefs this past week.

Before that, the Raiders were slipping into an abyss that was quickly putting an end to their season. I made this around Buffalo -3 (-120), looking at how the Bills are performing at home this season. In fact, home field has been a huge play between these two as the home team has won six straight times.

Before this past week, Oakland’s offense had scored a mere 53 points in the previous four games. Buffalo has had one of the best “points against” defenses in the NFL all year long. The Bills are playing well, playing better at home, and are feeding off their underdog status. They seem to have the emotional edge in this game.

As an oddsmaker, where my suggestions to bookmakers with parlay cards were under the microscope, I have always deemed the early movement downward to be a set-up for the casinos to print up their cards south of the key 3. A little money early in the week will turn out to be much larger the other way come kickoff. If you like Buffalo, don’t expect this number to drop off much more. The early money did its job. If you like Oakland, I firmly believe you will see 3’s hit the board again come game day so you might want to sit this out until the weekend to play.

Carolina Panthers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-2.5, 44)

I made this game more of a toss-up, closer to Tampa Bay either a pick or -1 at best. I understand Carolina’s awful play against the Bears in Chicago this past weekend, but the Panthers were coming off a tough three-game stretch against some quality opponents and when they found themselves down by two touchdowns off turnovers.

The Bears were able to crank up the defense in a position of power and keep the Carolina offense at bay. The fact that the Bears mustered just three points of offense all day themselves has me thinking that we need to throw that game out and look at this matchup with new eyes.

Tampa Bay has lost four of the last five games. It’s given up just under 30 points per game during that span. Though Tampa Bay did score 27 points off a monster day by QB Jameis Winston, it came against a Bills secondary that was hit with multiple injuries to their cornerbacks during the game.

Tampa Bay doesn’t look to be too strong of a force the rest of the way while Carolina, currently in second place, needs this game to not only to wipe away the unpleasant taste of last week’s results, but firmly entrench themselves in the NFC playoff picture. At this point, there’s a huge difference between 5-3 and 4-4.

I don’t see this number heading up any time soon during the course of this week. I see a strong play on the dog where bettors are planning to see a bounce back game by the Panthers in a totally winnable game. Grab as many points as you can if you’re backing the Panthers. Wait until game day if you like the Buccaneers and be prepared to only lay a point or two max at that time.

Tokens
Pick Six - Week 8

Week 8 Record: 3-3 SU, 2-3-1 ATS
Overall Record: 21-21 SU, 19-22-1 ATS

Bears at Saints (-9, 47½)

Chicago

Record: 3-4 SU, 5-2 ATS, 5-2 UNDER
Super Bowl Odds: 80/1

The Bears have covered all three games since rookie Mitchell Trubisky took over at quarterback. Chicago took care of Carolina last week as 2 ½-point home underdogs, 17-3, even though Trubisky completed only four passes, while the defense produced a pair of touchdowns. Chicago’s offense has scored 17 points in five of seven games, while the Bears try to improve on a 1-10 record in their past 11 contests away from Soldier Field.

New Orleans

Record: 4-2 SU, 4-2 ATS, 4-2 OVER
Super Bowl Odds: 16/1

This is a much different Saints’ team than what was showcased following an 0-2 start. New Orleans is riding a four-game winning streak after rallying past Green Bay, 26-17 as 3½-point road favorites, while putting up nearly 500 yards of offense. The Saints won three of these four games away from the Superdome, as New Orleans returns to the Big Easy for three of its next four contests. New Orleans has cashed in six of its past eight opportunities as a favorite since last November, while beating Chicago in its previous three matchups dating back to 2011.

Best Bet: Saints -9

Falcons (-4½, 46½) at Jets

Atlanta

Record: 3-3 SU, 2-4 ATS, 4-2 UNDER
Super Bowl Odds: 20/1

The Falcons have been grounded recently by dropping three straight games since a 3-0 start. The only good news for the defending NFC champions is all three defeats came to AFC squads, meaning their conference record is still unblemished. However, Atlanta’s offense has produced only seven points in the last six quarters, while coming up short in the Super Bowl rematch at New England, 23-7. Last season, the Falcons covered seven of eight road games, but have slipped to 1-2 ATS on the highway in 2017 as their only cover came in a narrow win at Detroit in Week 3.

New York

Record: 3-4 SU, 4-2-1 ATS, 4-3 UNDER
Super Bowl Odds: 250/1

The Jets were on the fast track to the top pick of the draft following an 0-2 start, but New York caught fire by winning three straight games. Unfortunately, the Jets squandered double-digit leads in their last two losses to the Patriots and Dolphins to slip below the .500 mark. New York pushed as three-point underdogs in last Sunday’s 31-28 setback at Miami, as its ATS record is 4-0-1 the last five weeks. The Jets have struggled at home against NFC opponents the last three season by posting a 1-5 record with the only victory coming over Washington in 2015.

Best Bet: Falcons -4½

Raiders at Bills (-2½, 45½)

Oakland

Record: 3-4 SU, 3-4 ATS, 4-3 UNDER
Super Bowl Odds: 33/1

One win doesn’t save a season at this point, but Oakland avoided a 2-5 start with a late rally to stun Kansas City last Thursday, 31-30 to snap a four-game skid. Not only did the Raiders bust the 17-point mark for the first time since Week 2, but Oakland cashed outright as three-point home ‘dogs, while Derek Carr torched the Chiefs’ defense for 417 yards and three touchdowns. Now Oakland heads to the east coast for the second time this season as the Raiders were rolled at Washington back in Week 3. However, the Silver and Black owns an 11-4 ATS record as a road underdog since Jack Del Rio took over as head coach in 2015.

Buffalo

Record: 4-2 SU, 4-1-1 ATS, 4-2 UNDER
Super Bowl Odds: 50/1

The Bills haven’t finished above the .500 mark since 2014 as Buffalo has gotten off to its customary solid start before melting down late. Buffalo held off Tampa Bay, 30-27, but were outgained in passing yardage for the fifth straight game. The Bills are a perfect 3-0 at New Era Field this season, which is a nice change from the 2-3 record in their final five home games in 2016. The home team has won each of the past six matchups between the Bills and Raiders since 2004, as Oakland won at the Coliseum last season, 38-24.

Best Bet: Raiders +2½

Chargers at Patriots (-7, 48½)

Los Angeles

Record: 3-4 SU, 3-3-1 ATS, 4-3 UNDER
Super Bowl Odds: 66/1

The Chargers have suddenly come to life following an 0-4 start by beating the Giants, Raiders, and Broncos in the last three weeks. Los Angeles pitched a 21-0 shutout of Denver at home last Sunday to improve to 2-2 in AFC West play, while covering for the third straight week in the underdog role. Four of Los Angeles’ six games have been decided by five points or less, while receiving at least six points for the first time since the 2016 season opening overtime loss at Kansas City.

New England

Record: 5-2 SU, 3-4 ATS, 4-3 OVER
Super Bowl Odds: 7/2

The Patriots didn’t dig themselves a 25-point hole against the Falcons in the rematch of this past season’s epic Super Bowl as New England blew out Atlanta last Sunday night, 23-7. New England’s defense was chewed up in the first four weeks of the season, but the Pats have finished UNDER the total in the last three games, while allowing a total of 38 points. The Pats have won each of the past three meetings with the Chargers since 2010, including a 23-14 triumph at San Diego in their previous matchup in 2014.

Best Bet: Patriots -7

Texans at Seahawks (-6, 45½)

Houston

Record: 3-3 SU, 4-2 ATS, 4-2 OVER
Super Bowl Odds: 33/1

The Texans have failed to win consecutive games this season, as they are fresh off the bye week, while coming off a 33-17 blowout of the hapless Browns in Week 6. Houston has topped the 33-point mark in each of the past four games, as rookie Deshaun Watson has thrown 14 touchdown passes in this stretch to help cash the OVER four times. The Texans have covered in three of four opportunities in the underdog role, including ATS wins at New England and Cincinnati.

Seattle

Record: 4-2 SU, 3-3 ATS, 4-2 UNDER
Super Bowl Odds: 10/1

The Seahawks stumbled to a 1-2 record out of the gate, but Seattle has rebounded with three consecutive victories. For the exception of allowing 33 points in a Week 3 loss at Tennessee, the Seahawks’ defense has yielded 18 points or less in five other games this season. The Seahawks traveled out east last Sunday and pulled away from the Giants, 24-7 as four-point favorites, led by Russell Wilson’s three touchdown passes in the second half. The last time these teams hooked up in 2013 in Houston, the Seahawks overcame a 20-3 deficit to beat the Texans in overtime, 23-20.

Best Bet: Seahawks -6

Cowboys (-2, 50) at Redskins

Dallas

Record: 3-3 SU, 3-3 ATS, 4-2 OVER
Super Bowl Odds: 20/1

The Cowboys responded well following their bye week and coming off a pair of home losses to the Rams and Packers. Dallas went out to San Francisco and blasted the 49ers, 40-10 as 6 ½-point favorites, paced by Ezekiel Elliott’s three touchdowns and 219 all-purpose yards. The Cowboys improved to 2-1 SU/ATS on the road with that victory, while seeking their fifth consecutive victory at FedEx Field dating back to 2013. The underdog has covered in six of the past seven matchups between these NFC East rivals, including Dallas winning at Washington last September as 3½-point ‘dogs, 27-23.

Washington

Record: 3-3 SU, 2-4 ATS, 4-2 OVER
Super Bowl Odds: 50/1

The Redskins’ season can fall apart quickly during this stretch against Philadelphia (loss), Dallas, Seattle, Minnesota, and New Orleans. Or Washington can get back on track following last Monday’s 34-24 setback to the Eagles, as the Redskins have yet to lose consecutive games this season. Quarterback Kirk Cousins has thrown for multiple touchdowns in four straight games, while Washington has scored at least 24 points in four of the past five games. The Redskins have cashed in seven of their last nine opportunities as a home underdog since 2015, but one of those losses came to Philadelphia in Week 1.

Best Bet: Redskins +2

Tokens
Sunday's Top 5 NFL Wagers

We’re about to hit the halfway point of the season, which means things are going to start heating up across the board. We have tons of data to go on, but more than anything, we’ve been watching these teams play football. A lot of them aren’t passing the eye test, while there are a handful who deserve some recognition as underdog plays despite matchups.

Here’s a look at five of the toughest NFL betting lines to gauge in Week 8.

Los Angeles Chargers +7 over New England Patriots

The Patriots were thin enough on defence before Don’t’a Hightower tore his peck. You know what that means: lots of throwing room for Philip Rivers and even more running room for Melvin Gordon. All in all, this number is too high, especially given how violent the Chargers have been defensively. The Chargers are also 5-1 ATS when playing a winning team on the road.

Also, you should love Philip Rivers in October. He’s 6-2 ATS when playing in the month, and while there’s little doubt that the Patriots can win this game, I don’t believe that they can hold off Rivers and Gordon in this game. Don’t get sold by the “west coast team playing in the early game”.

New York Jets +4.5 over Atlanta Falcons

At some point you just have to believe that the Jets are better than everyone expected them to be. They have this weird habit of rising to the level set by their opponents. In the last four games, they’ve averaged a -1 point differential against Jacksonville, Cleveland (away), New England and Miami (away). It’s a strange trip, but they’re also 4-0-1 ATS in their last 5 games. That’s worthy of consideration.

As for the Falcons, it’s just too hard to believe that Matty Ice isn’t as frigid as star quarterbacks could be. A lot of people will tout this matchup as the one where the Falcons get back on the horse, but this team feels absolutely broken. Atlanta isn’t just 0-3 SU and ATS, they’re coming off a blowout loss to a team that the Jets almost defeated.

Until Atlanta proves that they’re worthy of your investment, there’s no reason to back them. The Jets have done more than enough to warrant a look.

Carolina Panthers +2 over Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Are we done throwing blind faith at Jameis Winston and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers? There’s just no trusting this team. They can look proficient and capable in losses, but the fact is that they still lose games and they’ve covered one time the whole season.

Beyond that, the Panthers just seem to play better on the road as they’ve gone 3-1 ATS when travelling. They walloped San Francisco 23-3 to start the season, beat New England and Detroit before vomiting all over Soldier Field against the Bears last weekend in a 3-17 loss. Stuff happens.

Cam Newton and his uneven offensive output gets all the press for the Panthers. However, what makes Carolina a great bet overall is their no-big-play defence, which ranks 3rd in yards against and only surrenders 19.9 points against per game.

The only thing Tampa does is try to produce big gainers, and they won’t be able to do that against a Carolina defence that eviscerates the run and limits the pass. I’m not telling you to buy in to 2017 Newton or Winston, but I am advising that the Panthers defence is the big x-factor here.

Washington Redskins +2 over Dallas Cowboys

There’s a prevailing thought that the Redskins are simply too banged up to compete. And that’s probably true. Almost none of their defensive core is operating at full capacity. There’s also major concern along the offensive line with tackles Morgan Moses and Trent Williams hurting.

This is the type of game where Chris Thompson rushes for a billion yards and multiple scores, because Dallas can’t seem to contain quality running-backs. Aaron Jones ran for 125, Todd Gurley amassed 121 and even Carlos Hyde averaged 4.8 yards a carry before the Niners had to go airborne to catch up on the scoreboard.

And here’s the rub – even with all these niggling injuries, Washington remains competitive. Call it the Kirk Cousins corollary. He just finds ways to keep his team in contention, and the chemistry that is erupting between hi and Jordan Reed is a problem for Dallas. I don’t like the Dallas defence at all. They’re the biggest reason that the Cowboys can’t win or cover despite having one of the best offences in town.

Would rather lose money on a Washington team that plays through injury than a Dallas team that can’t quite seem to protect themselves when playing good teams.

Seattle Seahawks -5.5 over Houston Texans
After two abysmal weeks at quarterback, Deshaun Watson has arrived. Nobody is debating the fact that he’s going to be the franchise for Houston for years to come. What I will argue, however, is whether or not him and the Texans are trustworthy against good teams.

We really have one sample of when Watson had to go up against an elite defence, and he was easily taken care of by Kansas City. Yes, he put up five touchdowns, but two of those came in absolute garbage time. Remember, this is the game when he went for a two-point conversion with no time left on the clock while being down by ten points.

This line is designed to snare some believers who are buying in on the Houston Texans, but the real second half team to bank on is the Seattle Seahawks. This defence is one of the best in the NFL, and are finally playing like it. The Seahawks allow the fewest points in the league and have a known secondary that can haunt rookies like Watson.

A lot of what Houston does well offensively comes in the form of big plays to DeAndre and Fuller, but the Seahawks do an exceptional job of keeping those types of impacts limited. Credit Earl Thomas with your money here. The Seahawks are about to frustrate the living hell out of Houston and remind everyone that they’re an NFC contender in the process.

Tokens
Week 8 Betting Tidbits

Minnesota Vikings at Cleveland Browns (+9.5, 38)

The Vikings defense is elite however you want to slice it. Minny’s stopper is allowing just 3.4 third down conversions per game (fewest in the league) and 1.4 offensive touchdowns per game – good for the second best mark in the league.

That doesn’t bode well for the Browns who are dead last in points scored per game at a measly 14.7.

LINE HISTORY: Sportsbooks opened with the Browns getting as few as 7.5 points. The spread has been bet up to 10 points at some shops; others have the Vikings giving 9.5. The total opened at 37.5 and was bet up to 38.

TRENDS:

*The under is 11-4 in the Browns’ last 15 games.
*The Browns are 1-11-1 ATS in their last 13 games against teams with winning records.

San Francisco 49ers at Philadelphia Eagles (-13, 46)

Losing left tackle Jason Peters is a big blow to the Philadelphia Eagles. He’s been one of the best tackles in the game for years and Pro Football Focus graded him as their top offensive tackle after the first six weeks of the season.

The Eagles lead the league in third down conversions per game at 7.1 and no quarterback in the league has a better passing rating on third down than Carson Wentz’s 133.1. Will he have as much time without the best tackle in football blocking his blindside?

LINE HISTORY: Some locations opened with this spread as low as 10 points but bettors quickly jumped on the chance to fade the 49ers. Most shops now have the Eagles favored by 13 points. The total opened at 47.5 and has dropped to 46.

TRENDS:

*The Eagles are 4-0 ATS in their last four games.
*The over is 5-1 in the Eagles’ last six games and 4-1 in the 49ers’ last five games.

Carolina Panthers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-2.5, 46)

The Panthers are coming off a loss in which their opponent gained just five first downs and made only seven pass attempts. It’s fair to say Carolina’s offense needs to pick up the slack.
Cam Newton and Company has produced just one play over 20 yards in the last two games and the rushing attack has just one running play over 16 yards.

LINE HISTORY: The total opened as low as 44 and can now be found at some locations at 46. No real movement on the spread as we enter the weekend.

TRENDS:

*The Bucs are 0-4-1 ATS in their last five games.
*The Panthers are 1-6 ATS in their last seven games against NFC South opponents.

Chicago Bears at New Orleans Saints (-9, 47.5)

You’ve got to wonder how the Bears are just a game under .500 with an offense built on smoke and mirrors. The Bears have passed the ball on just 35 percent of their offensive snaps over their last three games and averaging just 158.6 yards through the air per game – down from 248 yards per game they produced in 2016.

Chicago is on a two-game winning streak and owns a 6-2 edge in turnover margin in those two games.

LINE HISTORY: The Saints opened as 7.5-point chalk and are now listed as 9-point faves. The total is hanging between 47.5 and 48 defending on the shop.

TRENDS:

*The Bears are 4-1 ATS in their last five games.
*The Saints are 4-0 ATS in their last four games.
*The over is 12-3-1 in the Saints’ last 16 home games.

Indianapolis Colts at Cincinnati Bengals (-11, 41.5)

Turnovers are a problem in Cincinnati and it’s not just that Andy Dalton is coughing up the ball too much. It actually has to do with a defense that’s been unlucky when it comes to generating turnovers.

The Bengals have just four takeaways in six games, putting them in a tie for the second fewest in the league. They’ve yet to recover an opponent’s fumble and they had only three takeaways on fumble recoveries a year ago.

LINE HISTORY: Most shops opened at Bengals -10 and there are a few locations that bumped up the spread to -11. The total opened at 41 and is now as high as 42 at some books.

TRENDS:

*The Colts are 0-4 ATS in their last four road games.
*The Bengals are 5-2 ATS in their last seven games following a straight up loss.
*The under is 8-2 in the Bengals’ last 10 games overall.

Los Angeles Chargers at New England Patriots (-7, 48)

The key to the Chargers’ three-game win streak has been their powerful pass rush. San Diego sits at No. 4 in the league in sacks at 23 and 11 of those have come in the team’s last three games. Edge rushers Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa account for 16 of those 23 QB takedowns.

The Pats offensive lines have had some bad games this season – particularly right tackle Nate Solder. Tom Brady has been sacked 18 times in seven games this season.

LINE HISTORY: The Pats opened as 7-point faves and a few shops have added a hook to make it -7.5. The total opened at 49 and there are few locations dealing 48 now.

TRENDS:

*Tom Brady is 6-0 SU in six career meetings vs. Philip Rivers.
*The Patriots are 14-6-2 ATS in their last 22 home games.
*The over is 8-3 in the Pats’ last 11 games overall.

Atlanta Falcons at New York Jets (+6, 44.5)

What is going on with the Falcons and the AFC East? Atlanta will play an opponent from the AFC East for a fourth consecutive week and will try to snap a three-game losing streak. The Bills, Dolphins and Patriots all held the Falcons’ explosive offense to 17 or fewer points.

Head coach Dan Quinn talked this week about how his offense needs to get back to running the football more. Atlanta averaged 26.2 rush attempts per game last season and are averaging 23.3 attempts per game this season.

LINE HISTORY: The Jets opened as 4.5-point home underdogs and bettors have been back the Dirty Birds. Atlanta is now giving 6 points at most shops. The total opened at 46.5 and has been bet down to 45.

TRENDS:

*The Jets are 4-0 ATS in their last four home games.
*The Falcons are 9-3 ATS in their last 12 away dates.
*The over is 18-7-1 in Atlanta’s last 26 games.

Oakland Raiders at Buffalo Bills (-2.5, 46.5)

The Raiders will be without starting running back Marshawn Lynch against the Bills. Lynch was suspended a game for pushing a referee during his team’s Week 7 win against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Bills traded a big-name player for the second time this season. Buffalo hasn’t missed WR Sammy Watkins since it shipped him to the Los Angeles Rams and it appears it feels the same about DT Marcell Dareus. The former high first round draft pick was shipped to Jacksonville for a sixth round draft pick. Dareus was being used as a rotational player on the Bills’ defensive line this season.

Houston Texans at Seattle Seahawks (-6.5, 45.5)

Attention second half and live bettors: The Seattle Seahawks are crushing their opposition in the final two quarters. Seattle has outscored its opponents 53-9 in the fourth quarter this season and has shutout the Giants and Rams after halftime. Over the last three weeks, the Seahawks have outscored their opponents in the third and fourth quarters 63-3.

LINE HISTORY: Many offshore locations opened with the Texans getting 5.5 points. The spread has been bet up to 6.5 at most shops heading into the weekend. The total opened at 42 and has been bet up to 45.5 and even 46.

TRENDS:

*The Texans are 4-1 ATS in their last five games.
*The Seahawks are 6-2 ATS in their last eight games.
*The over is 4-0 in Houston’s last four games.

Dallas Cowboys at Washington Redskins (+2, 47.5)

The Redskins’ offensive line is banged up heading into Sunday’s game against the Cowboys. Left guard Shawn Lauvao was the only starting O-lineman able to practice on Thursday. Head coach Jay Gruden says he’s most pessimistic about the chances of starting center Spencer Long to play this weekend. Washington would be forced to start rookie Chase Roullier at center if Long can’t play.

LINE HISTORY: The line has sat most of the week with Washington getting 2 or 2.5 points. The total opened at 50.5 and has been bet down to as low as 47.5.

TRENDS:

*The Cowboys are 4-9 ATS in their last 13 games overall.
*The over is 4-1 in the Cowboys’ last five games.

Pittsburgh Steelers at Detroit Lions (+3, 45.5)

The Lions need a jumpstart to their offense and they need it quickly. Detroit’s defense ranks seventh in Football Outsiders DVOA but the offense is among the league’s worst in yards per game. No. 1 receiver Golden Tate is questionable to play in the game after injured his shoulder in Week 6 against the Saints. Tate leads the Lions in catches with 36 and receiving yards with 363.

LINE HISTORY: The line has stayed at Lions +3 all week and the total is hanging around 45.5.

TRENDS:

*The Lions are 5-0 ATS in their last five games following a bye week.
*The Steelers are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 road games.
*The under is 20-6 in the Steelers last 26 road games.

Tokens
Total Talk - Week 8

Week 7 Recap

The ‘under’ went 8-7 last week and there were some clear-cut winners in that group with not one, not two but three shutouts posted on the scoreboard. Not to mention, we had another three games were teams were held to just one score. To put things in perspective, the 2016 regular season only had three bagels posted and we’re up to six this season, which includes this past Thursday’s result between Baltimore and Miami.

The back-and-forth results in the totals market continues to hold firm and through seven weeks, the ‘under’ barely holds an edge at 53-52-1.

Line Moves

Listed below are the largest line moves as of Saturday morning based off the Week 8 openers posted last Sunday at BookMaker.eu.

Chicago at New Orleans: 50 to 47½
Atlanta at N.Y. Jets: 47 to 44½
Carolina at Tampa Bay: 44 to 46
San Francisco at Philadelphia: 47½ to 45½
Houston at Seattle: 43 to 46
Pittsburgh at Detroit: 44½ to 46½

It’s rare to see a total at the Superdome drop but Scott Cooley of BookMaker.eu admitted their oversight.

He explained, “We really had no business opening this even close to 50, and the sharps took advantage of a bad line quickly. I think this is a matter of both defenses overachieving at this point in the season. They (Saints) still aren’t great defensively, but certainly better than anticipated.”

While seeing a New Orleans total go down, bettors could be perplexed when seeing a Seattle total rise.

“Seattle is certainly going to be a great test for Deshaun Watson and the Texans offense. But other than Andy Reid, I don’t know who is calling better plays right now than Bill O’Brien (perhaps Sean McVay). With Watson, the playbook has opened up and the ‘Hawks will have their hands full,” said Cooley.

Along with having risk on those two games, Cooley told VI that the major offshore betting shop has liability on the ‘under’ in the Falcons-Jets and 49ers-Eagles matchups and the ‘over’ in the Panthers-Buccaneers game.

Keep an Eye On

Minnesota and Cleveland will play in this week’s NFL International Series and this game has an early start (9:30 a.m. ET) from London, England. The ‘under’ has gone 2-1 in the first three games played overseas and unfortunately the locals were treated to a pair of the aforementioned shutouts. Another low-scoring affair (38) is expected and Cleveland has been a solid ‘under’ bet (5-2) this season. Minnesota (4-3) has leaned to the ‘over’ but all three ‘under’ tickets came away from home. This will be the last game from the UK this season, but there is one more contest in this series which takes place in Week 11 from Mexico City between the Patriots and Raiders.

There will be four non-conference games in Week 8 and these matchups have watched the ‘over’ go 15-13-1.

The Steelers and Dolphins finally cashed their first ‘over’ result last week and Miami made it two in a row to the high side this past Thursday. Will Pittsburgh keep the trend rolling on SNF (see below) at Detroit?

It’s very likely that no totals will close in the fifties in Week 8, which would be the first time this season that it’s happened. We’ve had 12 games close in that neighborhood so far and the results have been a stalemate (6-6).

Bye Beware?

Teams playing with rest this season have watched the ‘over’ go 5-3 in their following game and that includes a 3-1 mark last week. The Detroit Lions and Houston Texans will both be playing off their bye week on Sunday.

Sticking with rest, one of my VI colleagues pointed out a total trend that’s focused on teams playing before the bye. Including the six teams off this weekend, we’ve had 16 clubs have their bye week. Based on our numbers, the ‘under’ has gone 12-4 in games for the teams playing just before the bye.

Confused?

Green Bay, Tennessee, L.A. Rams, N.Y. Giants, Arizona and Jacksonville are all on their bye in Week 8 and coincidentally all of those teams saw the ‘under’ connect in their Week 7 games.

Will that balance out or should we press the angle? I’m not sure but there are two matchups this week where both teams will be off in Week 9 – Cleveland vs. Minnesota, L.A. Chargers vs. New England.

The other teams off next weekend will be Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Home-Away Tendencies

As we’re approaching the midway point of the regular season, we’re starting to see some total trends for both the hosts and visitors. There are a few to watch in Week 8 and four of the teams will be squaring off against one against another.

New Orleans: 2-0 ‘over’ at home. Saints averaging 36 PPG, allowing 37 PPG in two games.

Indianapolis: 3-0 ‘over’ on the road. Colts have the worst scoring defense (42.7 PPG) on the road.

Cincinnati: 3-0 ‘under’ at home. Bengals ranked last in scoring offense at home with 9.7 PPG

Oakland: 3-0 ‘under’ on the road. Raiders only averaging 15.3 PPG.

Detroit: 3-0 ‘over’ at home. Lions averaging 28.3 PPG at Ford Field.

Divisional Contests

The ‘under’ went 3-2 in the divisional games last week, pushing the ‘under’ to 22-10 overall. As I wrote last week, I do believe these numbers will balance out and I’m going to pay close attention to the rematches. The Jets-Dolphins game easily went ‘over’ last week while their first game was a stone-cold ‘under’ winner. At the same time, the Chargers-Broncos saw the ‘under’ connect after their Week 1 opener went high.

Carolina at Tampa Bay: The ‘under’ went 2-0 between the pair last season with a combined 33 and 31 points posted. This total has been steamed up as the pros continue to fade the defense of the Buccaneers defense, which is ranked 30th in yards per play allowed (6.1). The unit has allowed 28.8 PPG in their last five and that’s helped the ‘over’ go 4-1. You just wonder if Carolina, coming off a 3-point effort, can have the same production against Tampa Bay. In road wins over the Patriots and Lions, QB Cam Newton looked great but it’s been the exact opposite the last two weeks. Sticking with gun slingers, Bucs QB Jameis Winston hasn’t had much success in this first four games (4 TDs, 7 INTs) against the Panthers.

Dallas at Washington: These teams watched the ‘over’ go 2-0 last season and the high side is on a 4-1 run in the past five games in this series. The Redskins and Cowboys both enter this game with identical 4-2 ‘over’ records. After a slow start in its first two games (18 PPG), Dallas has posted 28-plus points in each of its last four. The Redskins defense, without CB Josh Norman, allowed 58 points the last two weeks and 495 passing yards which resulted in a pair of losses. He’s expected to return Sunday and that should help stop the bleeding for Washington. However, the offensive line for the Redskins will be missing at least two starters and possibly another two.

Under the Lights

The ‘under’ produced a 2-1 mark in the primetime games last week but the ‘over’ still holds a slight lean at 14-9 (61%) on the season and that includes last Thursday’s high side ticket between the Ravens and Dolphins, which was boosted with a pair of late pick-six defensive touchdowns.

Pittsburgh at Detroit: According to our Vegas Money Moves report, this game will decide the week for the bookmakers. The total has gone from 44½ to 46½ and I suppose the masses believe Pittsburgh’s juggernaut of an offense is back. The unit just posted a season-high 29 points last Sunday and it could’ve been better if they didn’t settle for five field goals. While the offense receives all the attention in Western Pennsylvania, it’s about time the defense gets noticed. They lead the league in yards per play (4.4), second in total defense (258.7 YPG) and third in scoring (16.6 PPG). Detroit’s offense will be a very stiff test at Ford Field and while Pittsburgh has been a great ‘under’ bet (6-1), the Lions are 3-0 to the ‘over’ at home. One trend that could have you leaning low is the Lions ‘under’ run (4-0) in their last four off the bye which has been helped with some solid defensive performances (18 PPG).

Denver at Kansas City: This total opened 44½ and has been bet down to 43 as of Saturday morning. The ‘over’ has gone 3-0-1 in the last four encounters but the lowest total during that span was 42. This is your classic ‘offense vs. defense’ matchup as the Broncos will look to contain the Chiefs attack. Denver’s offense (18 PPG) has been a mess lately and having success at Arrowhead won’t be easy. Make a note that KC has seen the ‘over’ go 4-0 in primetime games this season, which includes the fortunate outcome in Week 4 versus the Redskins.

Fearless Predictions

After finally getting the bankroll into the black, I laid an egg with a 1-3 mark ($220) and that put me back into the red on the season ($90). We don’t have as many opportunities this week but the confidence is strong. As always, Press, Pass or Fade but in the end – Good Luck!

Best Over: Oakland-Buffalo 46

Best Under: Houston-Seattle 46

Best Team Total: Atlanta Over 25½

Three-Team Total Teaser (8.5-Point, +100)
Oakland-Buffalo Over 37½
L.A. Chargers-New England Over 39½
Dallas-Washington Under 56

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
08winlink
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com