This Thanksgiving, I’m grateful Hillary Clinton is not president

Search

Rx Normal
Tokens
This Thanksgiving, I’m grateful Hillary Clinton is not president

By Marc A. Thiessen November 22 at 9:18 AM

This Thanksgiving, I am grateful for many things — but when it comes to politics, I am especially thankful that Hillary Clinton is not sitting in the Oval Office.

I am thankful that Neil M. Gorsuch is on the Supreme Court and that President Trump has secured a conservative majority that will protect human life, religious liberty, the Second Amendment and limited government. I am also thankful the president is moving at record pace to fill the federal appeals courts with young conservative judges. While the Supreme Court only hears about 80 cases a year, the federal appeals courts get final say on about 60,000 — and because Democrats ended the filibuster, they can’t stop Trump from filling those courts with conservative legal rock stars. The Senate has already confirmed eight of Trump’s nine appellate nominees — the most this early in a presidency since Richard Nixon – and Trump will appoint plenty more before his first term expires. As former Clinton adviser Ronald A. Klain complained in The Post, “the next two generations of Americans will live under laws interpreted by hundreds of [Trump-appointed] judges.”

That alone is worth it. But there is more to be thankful for.

I’m thankful the New York Times’s Linda Greenhouse is complaining that Trump has appointed so many “individuals who have devoted their adult lifetimes to the anti-abortion cause” that federal agencies now resemble an “outpost of the National Right to Life Committee.”

While Congress could not repeal Obamacare, I’m thankful that failure now makes passage of conservative tax reform more likely, because House and Senate Republicans know that failure to do so is political suicide. And I’m thankful we have a president who is ready to sign that tax reform into law.

I’m thankful that Trump withdrew from the Paris climate agreement, is dismantling President Barack Obama’s Clean Power Plan, clearing the way for the Keystone XL pipeline, and undertaking the largest regulatory rollback in the EPA’s 46-year history.

I am thankful Trump has secured the release of American citizens imprisoned by China, North Korea, Egypt and the Taliban-linked Haqqani Network — without releasing senior Taliban leaders from Guantanamo Bay.

I am thankful that Trump finally enforced Obama’s red line on the use of chemical weapons in Syria, took the shackles off of our military in the fight against the Islamic State, got NATO allies to kick in $12 billion more for our collective security, imposed new sanctions on Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps , requested emergency funding for ballistic missile defense, declared North Korea a terrorist state, and sent a clear message to Pyongyang that it will not be permitted to threaten American cities with nuclear intercontinental ballistic missiles. His foreign policy is far from perfect, but it is a marked improvement over the Obama-Clinton approach.

Trump hasn’t ushered in a new era of American isolationism. And despite the dire warnings of creeping authoritarianism, there are no gulags in the United States today. Quite the opposite, there are plenty of checks on Trump’s power. Federal judges have narrowed his travel ban, blocked his cut of funding for sanctuary cities, and stopped his ban on transgender troops. He has not changed libel laws to go after a free press, restored waterboarding, or built his border wall. Heck, he could not even repeal Obamacare. Our system of Constitutional checks and balances works — in some cases, too well.

The republic will survive the Trump presidency, and so will the Republican Party. I don’t buy the argument that Trump is doing irreversible damage to the GOP or the Republican brand. Nixon resigned in disgrace in 1974, and six years later we were inaugurating Ronald Reagan and then it was Morning in America again. If Trump does end up dragging the Republican Party down, all it takes is one great leader to resurrect it.

In the meantime, I want Trump’s presidency to be a success. Trump was not my first choice for president (or my second . . . or third . . . or fourth), and I am well aware of his many deep flaws. When he is wrong, I have called him out and will continue to do so. But I want Trump to fill the courts with conservative judges, reform the tax code, take on North Korea, counter Iran, defeat Islamist radicalism, roll back the regulatory state, expand school choice, and protect the unborn. And I’m thankful that because of his election, we are making progress on these fronts — and that Clinton is hawking books for a living.

That is something worth celebrating this Thanksgiving.

Read more from Marc Thiessen’s archive, follow him on Twitter or subscribe to his updates on Facebook.

Rx Normal
Tokens
1xjc.jpg

Tokens
Awesome thread Joe. I concur 100%!!

:dancefool:dancefool:dancefool

I'm also thankful that this forum's two biggest cancer's have been banned.

Handicapper
Tokens
Amen to that cheersgif

Rx Normal
Tokens
WHY THE LEFT HATES THANKSGIVING

Gratitude has become a partisan issue.

November 23, 2017

Daniel Greenfield
Share to Print​
21.jpg

Daniel Greenfield, a Shillman Journalism Fellow at the Freedom Center, is an investigative journalist and writer focusing on the radical left and Islamic terrorism.

Senator Schumer wants to argue about tax reform at Thanksgiving dinner. And he has a handy chart for lefties to take along and wave at their more conservative relatives while screeching about the 1 percent. In an article titled, “The Case for Ruining Thanksgiving,” GQ Magazine urges its readers to punish their parents who voted for Trump by staying away, insulting them or ranting about police brutality.

The Scientific American wants readers to push Global Warming over mashed potatoes. The organizers of the Women’s March want you to accuse your uncle of having “white privilege.” Desperate lefties can text Standing Up for Racial Justice at the dinner table and get anti-Trump talking points. “You Should Absolutely Fight About Politics With Your Relatives This Thanksgiving,” Quartz insists.

And then it just gets worse.

"Thanksgiving: The annual genocide whitewash," declares Al Jazeera. "The Thanksgiving Day story represents the violence of colonialism," fumes Bustle. Retelling the story of Thanksgiving, pardoning a turkey and watching football are all "offensive, racist, or just plain problematic". And if Thanksgiving with lefties wasn’t miserable enough, the Village Voice offers 5 politically correct television episodes to inflict on your "terrible aunt or insufferable uncle" who don’t want to admit they voted for Trump.

There’s plenty of spite. What’s missing from leftist Thanksgiving is… thankfulness.

When Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the White House press secretary, asked the press corps to state what they were grateful for, a collective howl went up from the media. “How Sarah Sanders Humiliated the Press,” wept a CNN editorial. The New Yorker railed against, “The Degrading Ritual of

Sarah Huckabee Sanders's Pre-Thanksgiving Briefing.” Asking lefties to be grateful is humiliating and degrading.

Just ask LaVar Ball, who has spent days reveling in his refusal to say, “Thank you.” And the media, which believes that gratitude is humiliating and degrading, has been cheering on his ingratitude.

It’s Thanksgiving 2017. And gratitude has become a partisan issue.

Why is it so hard for the left to be thankful? The answer is as easy as pumpkin pie. The left is a movement built on resentment. And resentment and gratitude are opposing emotions.

That is why the left really hates Thanksgiving.

The revisionist autopsies of American history and the guides to sensitively calling your uncle a racist are about substituting resentment for thankfulness. Whether it’s a family getting together once a year, the Pilgrims and the Indian tribesmen breaking bread or the White House press corps being asked to talk about the good things in their lives, a moment of thankfulness has to be ruined with resentment.

Resentment is the force that gives the left meaning.

What animates the left is the conviction that everything (except their own tastes, preferences and opinions) is terrible and must be reformed until it too is like them. America is racist, homophobic, transphobic, Islamophobic, arachnophobic and claustrophobic. Every second the prison-industrial complex is gunning down drug dealers for no other reason than the color of their skin (and the guns in their hands), the military-industrial complex is bombing countries full of terrorists just because of the color of their skin, and the turkey-industrial complex is destroying the environment.

The militant lefty is an overgrown brat who never made the emotional transition from the funk of total unfairness that teenagers inhabit to the appreciation for life of the mature adult. Picking a fight at the Thanksgiving table is exactly the sort of thing a teenage brat would do. That’s why there are a dozen guides telling lefties exactly how to pick an unwinnable fight whose only purpose is to ruin a meal.

The family argument isn’t an unfortunate side effect of leftist politics. It’s the whole point.

Resentment doesn’t just color the politics of a militant leftist. It encompasses his entire outlook on life. The personal conviction that the world is an unfair place fits neatly into an ideology that claims to be able to prove using science and history that the world is a truly unfair place.

That is why the best antidote to leftist resentment is conservative thankfulness.

There are plenty of problems in our country and the world. But if we can’t stop to be thankful for the good things, we will sink into the same swamp of resentment as the left.

To be thankful is to be reminded of what we are fighting for. The resentful left doesn’t really fight for anything. Its resentful causes have no end point. There will never be a time when race relations, the environment, social mobility and caloric intakes are good enough for them to hang up their hats. The left maintains a perpetual state of crisis because it justifies a perpetual state of resentment.

The left isn’t actually fighting for anything. It’s fighting against things. Big things and little things. It’s fighting against America. And it’s fighting against families sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner.

Conservatives fight for the things in our lives that we value. And these are the very things that we are thankful for. Our gratitude reminds us of what we want to conserve. These include the tangible things, our families, our homes and our lives, and the intangible things, our freedoms and our traditions.

The left can’t be thankful because it can’t admit that there’s anything worth appreciating. Revolutionary movements don’t create, they destroy. But we can and should be thankful for what we conserve.

Thankfulness is not just a passive act. It’s a moving and transformative experience that changes us.

Choosing between gratitude and resentment is a fundamental personal and political choice. It defines how we respond to the challenges and blessings of life. And it shapes how we view our country.

Thanksgiving is the tradition of an optimistic and humble people. That is who Americans are.

The War on Thanksgiving is the campaign of a hostile leftist movement that is pessimistic and arrogant. Ruining Thanksgiving is its mission. And it isn’t out to win an argument, but to ruin an America tradition.

If we lose our ability to be thankful for the good things in our lives, we lose everything.

We can win by refusing to let the left’s resentment ruin Thanksgiving. We can win by remembering that Thanksgiving is not just an occasion, but a tradition whose attitudes give us strength and meaning. We can win by finding the power to live our lives better through gratitude rather than resentment.

We can win, as Sarah Huckabee Sanders did, by countering resentment with thankfulness.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/268511/why-left-hates-thanksgiving-daniel-greenfield

Never bet against America.
Tokens
Beautiful just beautiful! Going to include this thanks at our table tonight during grace.

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory
Handicapper
Tokens
I'd like this thread, if I could

Tokens
This is the second best Thanksgiving......the best being last years.....here’s one thing I am thankful for........Happy Thanksgiving!

Rx Normal
Tokens
This Thanksgiving, Thank Donald J. Trump

And the best is yet to come.

By Deroy Murdock

— November 23, 2017

This Thanksgiving, Americans in general — and free-market conservatives in particular — have plenty for which to be grateful. And much of it would be absent had the White House’s current occupant not become president on November 8, 2016.

The day after Donald J. Trump defeated Hillary Clinton, Princeton University economist Paul Krugman called Trump’s victory “the mother of all adverse effects.” He predicted “very probably . . . a global recession, with no end in sight.”

• The Dow Jones Industrial Average, NASDAQ, and S&P 500 all hit record highs on Tuesday. The Wilshire 5000 Index calculates that some $3.4 trillion in new wealth has been created since President Trump’s inauguration and $5.4 trillion since his election. Fueled by the reality of deregulation, expectations of lower taxes, and a new tone in Washington that applauds free enterprise rather than excoriate it, the economy is on fire.

• Atop the second quarter’s 3.1 percent increase in real GDP, and 3.0 in 3Q, the New York Federal Reserve Bank predicts that 4Q output will expand by 3.8 percent. This far outpaces the feeble average-annual GDP growth rate of 1.5 percent on President Obama’s watch. Meanwhile, the IMF expects global GDP to rise by 3.5 percent this year. So much for a Trump-inspired “global recession.”

• Unemployment is at 4.1 percent, a 17-year low. New unemployment claims in September were at their most modest since 1974. Goldman Sachs on November 20 “lowered our unemployment rate forecast to 3.7 percent by end-2018 and 3.5 percent by end-2019.” According to the Wall Street powerhouse’s chief economist Jan Hatzius, “Such a scenario would take the U.S. labor market into territory almost never seen outside of a major wartime mobilization.”

• American companies have been expanding operations here rather than shipping jobs overseas. Corning, for instance, announced a $500 million investment in new U.S. production, launching 1,000 positions.

• Foreign firms have been unveiling facilities and creating jobs in America. Insourcing is now a thing. Taiwan’s Foxconn will spend $10 billion on a new Wisconsin electronics plant with 3,000 new employees. During Trump’s recent visit to China, Beijing agreed to invest $84 billion in new energy projects in West Virginia.

• If the Senate cooperates, Santa Claus will deliver $1.5 trillion in tax cuts, including a dream-come-true 43 percent reduction in corporate taxes, from a 35 percent rate to 20 percent, well below the global average of 22.5 percent. This major blow for international competitiveness should turbocharge the economy even further.

• Obamacare remains alive, alas, largely due to the flaccid leadership of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s (R., Ky.) and his inability to control a handful of Republican prima donnas. (As of November 2, the House had passed 394 bills; 308 of them — 78 percent — are moldering in McConnell’s inbox.) However, the GOP may make Obamacare voluntary. Junking the individual mandate will emancipate Americans from this unprecedented attack on our freedom and, as an added bonus, make $318 billion available for deeper tax cuts.

• U.S. energy production is on the upswing. After languishing under Obama, the Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines are under construction. Jobs to be created: 42,000.

• Obama’s War on Coal is gone with the wind.

• Trump wisely extricated America from the bogus Paris “global-warming” deal.

• Obama’s “Clean Power Plan,” a $993 billion act of economic self-sabotage, now rots — with Communism — atop the ash heap of history.

• For every new regulation that Trump has imposed, 16 have been erased.

• The FCC has begun to dismantle Obama’s “Net Neutrality” takeover of the Internet, which functioned marvelously, thank you, before his needless e-power-grab.

• Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch is on the bench, along with 13 constitutionalist lower-court judges. At this stage in Obama’s presidency, the Senate had confirmed just seven of his district- and circuit-court nominees.

• President Trump signed legislation to ease the firing of incompetent and corrupt officials in the Department of Veterans Affairs. So far, according to the White House, the VA has sacked more than 500 such undesirables, suspended 200, and demoted 33. Trump also has endorsed bills that give embattled vets greater choice in health care beyond the largely ruinous, highly toxic, single-payer VA medical system.

• Trump has revitalized ties with America’s NATO allies, who finally have begun to pay their fair share for collective security — as their heretofore disregarded commitments require.

• The president of the United States movingly and eloquently defended Western Civilization in a stirring speech in Warsaw, arguably his best in office.

• Trump urged Arab and Muslim leaders to “drive out” militant Islam in a milestone address in Riyadh.

• To that end, U.S.-assisted forces have driven ISIS from an expansive caliphate with many square miles of land to a horrid idea with a shrinking grasp on a few sand dunes, soon to be pried from their filthy fingers.

• With Trump aboard, Air Force One flew the first direct flight ever between Saudi Arabia and Israel.

• Trump stood steadfastly by Israel at the Western Wall and with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Obama’s cold-shoulder policy toward Israel is finished.

• Asian heads of state were impressed with Trump last week. Soon after he left China, the Chinese government agreed to Trump’s request and released three UCLA basketball players who were arrested for shoplifting and destined, most likely, to long prison sentences.

• Just after Trump returned to America, China sent a delegation to talk some sense into North Korean madman Kim Jong-un.

• Pyongyang is as strongly sanctioned as it has been in ages, in part thanks to the U.N. Security Council’s U.S.-led unanimous votes to that effect.

• The State Department this week returned North Korea to the official list of State Sponsors of Terrorism. George W. Bush excused North Korea from that deadly distinction, to little positive effect.

• The disastrous Iran nuclear deal soon may be shredded — as it should be. For now, Trump has declared Iran no longer in compliance with the agreement, flimsy as it is.

• Guantanamo Bay remains open for business, and Obama’s “catch and release” policy toward its militant-Islamic detainees ist kaput.

• Under this president, illegal-alien border crossings are down 41 percent on the southern frontier, versus January through October 2016, under Obama.

• ICE has arrested 97,482 illegal aliens under President Trump, as of October 27, up 43 percent year-on-year. Of these 52,169 (53.5 percent) have been expelled — up 30 percent. Among those arrested, the White House reports, 70 percent were convicted criminals.

• Rather than ridicule vote fraud, as Democrats routinely do, President Trump appointed a commission to investigate shenanigans at the polls and how America’s entire system of casting ballots can be made tamper-proof. Vice President Mike Pence chairs this panel. Secretary of State Kris Kobach (R., Kan.) co-chairs.

• The Education Department’s due-process-crushing Title IX “guidance letter” on sexual harassment on college campuses is null and void.

• The Trump administration is giving green lights to school-choice efforts across America.

• The Justice Department is investigating Harvard University for possibly violating the civil rights of Americans of Asian descent who argue that they are being rejected in favor of less qualified applicants of other ethnicities.

• Obama’s execrable war on the Little Sisters on the Poor, who literally work for $0.00 per year, mercifully has ended. These powerless women no longer must lose sleep because a nearly omnipotent guy in Washington ordered them to provide contraceptives through their health-care plan, their religious convictions be damned. Anyone covered by that order of Catholic nuns who wants birth control can go out and buy it with her own money.

• Obama’s federal transgender-bathroom patrol has been disbanded. State and local school officials now will decide whether or not to abide by the centuries-old, commonsense rule that humans with male anatomy use men’s rooms and those with female anatomy use women’s rooms.

• President Trump’s re-embrace of the so-called Mexico City Policy once again bars federal funding of abortions overseas.

And much more.

The Never Trump faction still claims that the president of the United States “is no conservative.” And yet, with rare deviations (such as free trade), he spends nearly every day implementing the conservative agenda. Ideas that center-Right activists have demanded for decades are becoming public policy, one after another — to the pleasant surprise of even some of Donald J. Trump’s most enthusiastic supporters.

Ten months down. Thirty-eight to go. The best is yet to come.

Thank you, Mr. President!

— Deroy Murdock is a Manhattan-based Fox News Contributor and a contributing editor with
National Review Online.

cheersgif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bodyhealthtechofficia
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com