Forum: College Football Forum - Sponsored by:

Thread: Is Saban's Bama team the greatest 9-year run in history of NCAAF?

1. #1 Is Saban's Bama team the greatest 9-year run in history of NCAAF? 
    113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    Best 9 Year Runs Over Last 100 Years (with each tie as 0.5 win and 0.5 loss):

1. OU (1949-1957) 87-6-2 (0.931%) 3 National Titles
    2. UA (2009-2017) 113-12-0 (0.904%) 5 National Titles
    3. ND (1919-1927) 78-7-3 (0.903%) 1 National Title
    4. FSU (1992-2000)
    99-11-1 (0.900%) 2 National Titles
    5. Miami (1985-1993) 97-11-0 (0.898%) 4 National Titles
    6. UA (1971-1979) 97-11-0 (0.898%) 3 National Titles
    7. NE (1993-2001)
    102-12-0 (0.894%) 3 National Titles
    8. OU (1971-1979)
    92-12-2 (0.877%) 2 National Titles
    9. ND (1922-1930) 74-10-3 (0.867%) 3 National Titles

Note: 1949-1957 OU played 18 year-end ranked teams (19%). 2009-2017 UA played 51 year end ranked teams (41%)

RX SemiGod
    I remember some of the "great runs" of Notre Dame and Army back during the 40's and early 50s; I remember when USC and UCLA were always in the hunt for the NC and I remember when Ohio State and Michigan battled it out and then there was Oklahoma and Nebraska knocking on the door often, but none come close to he dominance Alabama sustained during the period of time you are referring to (the past 9 years). Those numbers may never be matched.

RX SemiGod
    RT, Bama goes into the 2018 season loaded again.

I'm really excited about our young quarterback and young receivers.
    The two Harris boys should be special at running back.

The defense has enough studs to be a typical Bama defense.

Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    RT, Bama goes into the 2018 season loaded again.

I'm really excited about our young quarterback and young receivers.
    The two Harris boys should be special at running back.

The defense has enough studs to be a typical Bama defense.
    true but the secondary will be the worst since Shula days.

luckily the SEC is not exactly blessed with great QB's and Louisville (our first game) will be breaking in a new QB but when you lose 6 of your top 7 in secondary that's going to be a weakness.

Our front 7 will be great even with the big attrition (payne, evans, sdh) but Raekwon, Mack Wilson, Jennings, etc will be as good as we've ever had.

Love what I saw from Thompson after the Hootie Jones injury so I think that is one high-level guy in secondary but with only 2 career starts. Very shaky in the back

RX Wizard
    How was Bama recruiting class this year, I read they are anywhere from 6-15 in rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by pathologist View Post
    How was Bama recruiting class this year, I read they are anywhere from 6-15 in rankings.
    should end around 5th. still have 5 spots open which will likely be 2 dbacks, 1 olineman, 1 dlineman, and a WR. possibly 2 WR and no more DL but i think the 2-1-1-1 is CNS' preferred ending. Petit-Frere or Sewell will the the OL, the dbacks are among a group of 5, and will be interesting to see what happens with final WR or 2 as we have some elite kids like Ross and Waddle in line but with serious competition. If they get skittish on DB and WR i think you can see Foster get signed at QB after missing out on Emory Jones.

will be good class but not top 2 like every other year.

RX SemiGod
    Bama is rated 8th by Rivals and 5th by 247Sports with 18 signees. Saban can sign
    7 more players so by the final signing day (Feb. 3 I think), I look for their rating to go up.

My concern is for the "REAL" national champions who are ranked 73rd in signings.
    Central Florida is really pulling in the athletes. The PHANTOM national champion BS
    hasn't seemed to help much. Golly Jez!

Without a doubt they are in the argument...they are certainly among the most fortunate -- how many times did the team have to get on a plane for a game this year? once?

Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    Bama is rated 8th by Rivals and 5th by 247Sports with 18 signees. Saban can sign
    7 more players so by the final signing day (Feb. 3 I think), I look for their rating to go up.
    we can only do 23 this year, sitting at 18 right now

RX Member
    This run has been impressive but hard to tell if best ever.

I only say this b/c there wasnt always championship games prior to 1997. We had too many split national championships.
    From 97-2013, we had the bcs where computers picked the final 4 team.
    From 2014-present, we had a final 4 playoffs
    (i may be off a year or 2 but u get the jist of it).

I am curious that if some of those teams from the 80's and 90's played in a bcs or playoff era, would they have more titles? If this bama 9 yr run played in a bcs or the prior era, would they still have 5 titles?

In any means, its been an impressive run!!

without a question...greatest run ever

RX Junior
    The state of Georgia is cursed. The Atlanta Falcons choked away a 28-3 lead in the Superbowl and the Georgia Bulldogs blew a 13-0 lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrofins View Post
    This run has been impressive but hard to tell if best ever.

I only say this b/c there wasnt always championship games prior to 1997. We had too many split national championships.
    From 97-2013, we had the bcs where computers picked the final 4 team.
    From 2014-present, we had a final 4 playoffs
    (i may be off a year or 2 but u get the jist of it).

I am curious that if some of those teams from the 80's and 90's played in a bcs or playoff era, would they have more titles? If this bama 9 yr run played in a bcs or the prior era, would they still have 5 titles?

In any means, its been an impressive run!!
    probably works the opposite of what you're thnking

how many of those teams around Bama (OU/ND/FSU) would have been the single national champion if they had to win two games against other teams in top 4 in Dec/Jan?

if there was a playoff in 2008 season Bama would have been in that one too and might be talking about 6 in 10 today

RX Wizard
    Yes it's the best ever, no doubt - not even debatable.....and it ain't over! That's what's so impressive about it!

RX Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    probably works the opposite of what you're thnking

how many of those teams around Bama (OU/ND/FSU) would have been the single national champion if they had to win two games against other teams in top 4 in Dec/Jan?

if there was a playoff in 2008 season Bama would have been in that one too and might be talking about 6 in 10 today

I'm just throwing it out there. I wonder how those hurricane/seminole/gators/nebraska/usc/etc teams would have faired if they had a 4 team playoff all of these years. Or how these recent bama teams would have faired in the old system (prior to bcs).

I still would have LOVED to see the 91 canes play the 91 washington team

RX Senior
    in todays landscape of football absolutely. getting to the top is amazing in itself, staying where they are for as long as they have is just unimaginable.

RX Junior
    Central Florida the true national champion . Only undefeated Division 1 team. Apparently the committee was too scared to put them into the playoffs lol

RX SemiGod
    Quote Originally Posted by Rounding View Post
    Central Florida the true national champion . Only undefeated Division 1 team. Apparently the committee was too scared to put them into the playoffs lol
    An (8) team play-off format will solve some of these speculations.....

RX Member
    As competitive as college football is now with scholarship limitations YES its the best run ever.
    As far as the 8 team playoff thing goes, I wasn't big on it BUT if NC State's kicker doesn't miss a chip shot last year and Clemson has 2 losses the champion is left out of the CFP.
    If Wisconsin beats Ohio State this year Alabama the champion is out of the CFP.
    I say 8 teams the sooner the better.

RX Senior
    its way easier to debate the 4th best team than it is to debate the 8th. not even sure ucf would have made it in with 8 teams. they were ranked 12th going into the playoff/bowl season. your just adding all conference champions and a few others. its only every couple of years a non-major team goes undefeated but most years the top 10 is still the major conferences. it wont end the debate going to 8. you could argue way too many teams are deserving of the top 8. i like it the way it is but it will most likely change because money drives these things.

bring back the crystal ball though, the cfp trophy sucks.

RX Member
    UCF would have made it had there been an 8 team playoff. If there was an 8 team playoff, there would always be 1 representative from the Group of Five in the playoffs.

Teams like UCF, Boise, etc would be the "cinderella team" of the playoffs. Would they get blown out in the 1st game? Possibly but lets see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrofins View Post
    UCF would have made it had there been an 8 team playoff. If there was an 8 team playoff, there would always be 1 representative from the Group of Five in the playoffs.

Teams like UCF, Boise, etc would be the "cinderella team" of the playoffs. Would they get blown out in the 1st game? Possibly but lets see what happens
    pure conjecture

the most obvious way to pick the 8 teams would have been to use the top 8 from the committee in which auburn was 7th, ucf was 12th

they would have to drastically change the rules if you think the group of 5 would get an automatic spot in any playoff. An unbeaten MAC team, like WMU, has no freaking business in anything associated with a playoff but would have been the obvious choice in 2016. UCF, a few Boise teams, and Utah (before they went P12 in 2008) are about the only teams ever that might hold some claim.

RX Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    pure conjecture

the most obvious way to pick the 8 teams would have been to use the top 8 from the committee in which auburn was 7th, ucf was 12th

they would have to drastically change the rules if you think the group of 5 would get an automatic spot in any playoff. An unbeaten MAC team, like WMU, has no freaking business in anything associated with a playoff but would have been the obvious choice in 2016. UCF, a few Boise teams, and Utah (before they went P12 in 2008) are about the only teams ever that might hold some claim.
    /

Going to agree to disagree with you on this.

If they had an 8 team playoff, the 8 teams "should" consist of:
    All P5 conference winners
    The best Group of 5 team
    2 wildcard teams (1 would include Notre Dame if worthy)

Scott Frost even said in a national interview (not that he is be all end all) that if there were an 8 team playoff, UCF would be ranked in the top 8.

A group of five team has won 4 out of the last 5 NY6/BCS bowl games

RX Senior
    if you want an 8 team playoff because you want more football then yeah im with you. if you want an 8 team playoff because it ends the debate then no. the debate will always be there on who should be in. there are 68 teams that make the ncaab tournament and people still bitch about being screwed like they had a shot to win it all. i could argue that an 8 team playoff this year should have had 3 sec teams and 3 big ten teams....while entertaining it would be stupid.

RX Member
    An 8 team playoffs wont end the debate as (if we went with my proposal) there will be teams who were left out complaining that they should have been the 2nd wildcard team.

(my opinion) College football is the best regular season sport. The post season isnt that great. An 8 team playoff would make it one of the best postseasons out there.