Forum: OFFSHORE FORUM - Online Sportsbetting - Mentioned in NY TIMES, WSJ, USA TODAY, & DRF. The internet's most popular and busiest sports betting forum. The place to discuss all kinds of sports and gambling related subjects.

Thread: 20 Year Old Florida Man Wins $451 Million in Mega Millions Jackpot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 20 Year Old Florida Man Wins $451 Million in Mega Millions Jackpot 
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Monaco, New York, Vegas
    Posts
    14,616
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....ot/amp/?espv=1



    A 20-year-old Florida man stepped forward as the sole winner of the fourth-largest jackpot in Mega Millions history on Friday.
    Shane Missler, of Port Richey, won a stunning $451 million jackpot, which he chose to receive in a lump-sum payment of $281,874,999, lottery officials said.

    “I’m only 20, but I hope to use it to pursue a variety of passions, help my family and do some good for humanity,” he said in a statement.

    Missler, who will turn 21 in May, bought his triumphant Quick Pick ticket at a 7-Eleven in Port Richey with money he’d won from a scratch-off lottery ticket, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

    “The power of positive thinking should not be underestimated!” he tweeted Friday.

    Missler claimed he wasn’t shocked by his big win — as he had “a feeling” he just might hit the jackpot, lottery officials said.

    But he still expressed his disbelief in a Facebook post minutes after the Jan. 5 drawing.

    “Oh. My. God.,” he wrote at 11:33 p.m.

    His winning combination was 28, 30, 39, 59, 70 and Mega Ball, 10.

    Missler shared news of his newfound fortune with his brother first, then spilled the beans to his dad over coffee the next morning, lottery officials said.

    The Maine native quickly “retired” from his job at a background screening company, and plans to move away from the Tampa Bay area.

    “Although I’m young, I’ve had a crash course this week in financial management and I feel so fortunate to have this incredible wealth and team behind me,” Missler said in a statement to the Tampa Bay Times.

    “I intend to take care of my family, have some fun along the way, and cement a path for financial success so that I can leave a legacy far into the future.”

    Missler flashed a big smile as he turned in his winning lottery ticket on Friday afternoon with his dad and a lawyer. The lump sum will be paid to a trust — called “Secret 007, LLC” — that Missler manages.

    Even before his big win, Missler’s Twitter feed was filled with inspirational messages, like “No more talk, only action” and “Do or do not, there is no try.”
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    14,508
    Wow 20 years old and his life is set. Unreal
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Monaco, New York, Vegas
    Posts
    14,616
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinCruise View Post
    Wow 20 years old and his life is set. Unreal
    Yup......can you imagine having this kind of money at 20? Most people would lose their minds.......he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, would be interesting if someone started a reality show to track lotto winners & how they're doing after 1 year & then after 5 & 10 years.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    RX Wizard wilbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    galena
    Posts
    6,824
    Quote Originally Posted by The Computer Group View Post
    Yup......can you imagine having this kind of money at 20? Most people would lose their minds.......he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, would be interesting if someone started a reality show to track lotto winners & how they're doing after 1 year & then after 5 & 10 years.
    I think they did a show in the 80's or 90's, and most are broke.
    Stupid people can't manage money.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    RX Wizard wilbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    galena
    Posts
    6,824
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I think they did a show in the 80's or 90's, and most are broke.
    Stupid people can't manage money.
    They end up obese and mods on a sports forum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    RX Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    553
    smart kid..move away from the area and really be anonymous. you know he cant live there anymore with the hanger ons trying to get a piece.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Monaco, New York, Vegas
    Posts
    14,616
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    smart kid..move away from the area and really be anonymous. you know he cant live there anymore with the hanger ons trying to get a piece.
    Of course not.....we had 2 women win the powerball I'm.my town several years apart.....the first one worked at Harley Davidson & quit & moved out west.

    The second owned a very successful pizza & tavern & told the local paper she would stay, well she tried to but the harassment & barrage of beggors wanting money constantly made her & her husband sell the business & move out west.....by the way, she hit $1 million in the slots in Vegas like 2 or 3 years later, lol!

    Bottom line, you can not stay in the same place after you will a big jackpot.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Monaco, New York, Vegas
    Posts
    14,616
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I think they did a show in the 80's or 90's, and most are broke.
    Stupid people can't manage money.
    Yeah, read about that, unreal how you can be broke within 5 years, & its like over 70% of them go broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Super Moderator Betallsports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    94,407
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    They end up obese and mods on a sports forum.
    did they even have the Lottery back in the 40's when you were growing up ??
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    RX Local
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    31,006
    I have a feeling this money won't last long.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #11  
    RX Wizard wilbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    galena
    Posts
    6,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Betallsports View Post
    did they even have the Lottery back in the 40's when you were growing up ??

    Isn't the 40's your waste size?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #12  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    14,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfuego View Post
    I have a feeling this money won't last long.
    Lol 450 million ok
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #13  
    RX Local slapshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,837
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinCruise View Post
    Lol 450 million ok
    well he already lost 170 mil
    GO LEAFS GO
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #14  
    RX Wizard BAGIANT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    7,948
    What a wonderful age to win the Mega!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #15  
    RX Wizard wilbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    galena
    Posts
    6,824
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    well he already lost 170 mil
    Haha, true!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #16  
    Super Moderator Betallsports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    94,407
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Isn't the 40's your waste size?
    stop avoiding the question ...

    and the highest I ever went was a 38. but nice try old geezer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #17  
    RX Senior
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,238
    If he was really smart he would not have claimed it this quickly. takes more time to assemble lawyer, accountant, financial guy than he took.
    Also claim it at least a month later when you everything in place.

    Also if you have a trust you do not want to put your name out in public or show your face. Claim it in the trust's name and keep yourself private.

    Last thing you want is your face and name out there after winning 281 million.

    His youth shows his ignorance.

    Find it laughable anyone believes his positive twitter messages helped him win. People like this amaze me...

    I wish him luck he will need it moving forward
    Peace offering...let's see what happens...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #18  
    Enflameo/Defame
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    95,211
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #19  
    RX Wizard wilbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    galena
    Posts
    6,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Betallsports View Post
    stop avoiding the question ...

    and the highest I ever went was a 38. but nice try old geezer
    My parents were born in the 40's.

    I'll bet you are my age, but you are much bigger than I am.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #20  
    Super Moderator Betallsports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    94,407
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I was actually born in the 30's.
    Ok, thought so
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #21  
    RX Wizard wilbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    galena
    Posts
    6,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Betallsports View Post
    Ok, thought so
    LOL, prick.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #22  
    RX Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    West of the Rockies
    Posts
    865
    Any financial guys out there know the reason for setting up a LLC ? In case he gets sued or something?
    Gambler, Womanizer, Playboy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #23  
    Defender of the Faith JohnnyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    On the Backstreets
    Posts
    5,155
    Quote Originally Posted by fightgood View Post
    Any financial guys out there know the reason for setting up a LLC ? In case he gets sued or something?
    One reason is is to avoid being identified as the winner. Some states allow a trust to claim the winnings, therefore allowing the winner to remain anonymous.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #24  
    RX Senior
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    I
    Posts
    1,759
    Quote Originally Posted by T Hawk View Post
    If he was really smart he would not have claimed it this quickly. takes more time to assemble lawyer, accountant, financial guy than he took.
    Also claim it at least a month later when you everything in place.

    Also if you have a trust you do not want to put your name out in public or show your face. Claim it in the trust's name and keep yourself private.

    Last thing you want is your face and name out there after winning 281 million.

    His youth shows his ignorance.

    Find it laughable anyone believes his positive twitter messages helped him win. People like this amaze me...

    I wish him luck he will need it moving forward
    You made some great points about waiting a bit to get solid legal advice but he still has to go public at some point. Florida has no privacy laws or llc protection for lottery winners.

    No matter what, his future is a lot brighter today than it was a month ago.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #25  
    RX Local slapshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,837
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    One reason is is to avoid being identified as the winner. Some states allow a trust to claim the winnings, therefore allowing the winner to remain anonymous.

    well Shane really fucked that part up
    GO LEAFS GO
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •