Forum: College Football Forum - Sponsored by:

Thread: Bama Assistants

  1. #1 Bama Assistants 
    RX Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    unc
    Posts
    5,990
    Saban loses both the OC and DC. That's becoming a common theme. Who is being mentioned to fill these spots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    25,404
    Quote Originally Posted by pathologist View Post
    Saban loses both the OC and DC. That's becoming a common theme. Who is being mentioned to fill these spots
    tons of names right now. DC could be a co-DC with Lupoi and new hire Golding or could go outside the program and give a look at someone like Chizik

    similarly at OC Locksley will have the inside track but a bunch of guys available that have saban/bama ties plus some other names getting mentioned....jeff scott, jim mcelwain, dan werner, art briles, huge sleaze, dan enos, matt canada, chip long

    werner would be plug-and-play if they wouldn't owe south carolina a bunch of money to pull him back after 8 days. and if locksley isn't promoted he could end up at FSU and we'll be looking for his replacement. he was instrumental installing the read option, which i hate, but he's a hell of a recruiter

    another wild offseason for the tide. Already lost both coordinators, def backs coach, two offensive assistants, 3 grad assistants, and bobby williams might be retiring
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    RX Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    unc
    Posts
    5,990
    RT it's unbelievable to me that Saban can keep winning with all this staff turnover each season. Makes Saban even that much more of a badass
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Roll Tide
    Posts
    12,635
    Daboll did a nice job during his one season with the Tide and was paid well for his efforts.
    #2 Scoring Offense, #2 fewest turnovers, #3 rushing, #4 total offense. Obviously, he
    wanted to get back into the NFL. Being OC at Alabama is a tough ass job.

    Speaking of an OC in a difficult situation, try LSU's new OC Steve Ensminger who was
    promoted from TEs coach. He will lead an offense minus its starting QB, his top two
    RBs, top two WRs and three starting offensive lineman. Talk about pressure, especially
    with those Tiger fans. Took some major balls for Coach O to make the change. He better
    hope like hell it pays off or he's in big trouble.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    25,404
    Quote Originally Posted by pathologist View Post
    RT it's unbelievable to me that Saban can keep winning with all this staff turnover each season. Makes Saban even that much more of a badass
    could bite him in the ass this year ... we'll have to see how recruiting finishes up. Daboll didn't recruit so his departure is a non-factor but losing Pruitt and potentially Locksley might have serious repercussions. Certainly Kirby's loss was felt in many ways...1) great recruiter got kids to flip immediately, 2) kids he was recruiting to bama 3-4 years ago are now making up UGA's ridiculous 2018 class...3) Kirby brought 4 bama coaches with him

    His mentor, Belichick, is similar. it doesn't matter what assistants he loses (weiss, mangini, crenell, daboll, etc) he just keeps winning. dudes are just wired differently
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    25,404
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    tons of names right now. DC could be a co-DC with Lupoi and new hire Golding or could go outside the program and give a look at someone like Chizik

    similarly at OC Locksley will have the inside track but a bunch of guys available that have saban/bama ties plus some other names getting mentioned....jeff scott, jim mcelwain, dan werner, art briles, huge sleaze, dan enos, matt canada, chip long

    werner would be plug-and-play if they wouldn't owe south carolina a bunch of money to pull him back after 8 days. and if locksley isn't promoted he could end up at FSU and we'll be looking for his replacement. he was instrumental installing the read option, which i hate, but he's a hell of a recruiter

    another wild offseason for the tide. Already lost both coordinators, def backs coach, two offensive assistants, 3 grad assistants, and bobby williams might be retiring
    the two highlighted names are the front runners today. long is from Birmingham and went to North Alabama ... was OC at Memphis and currently OC at Notre Dame with strong motivation to be HC before he's 40. Locksley long time unsuccessful OC (Illinois, Maryland) and HC (well, went 3-31 at HC) but players love him and will likely get poached by FSU if he isn't promoted to Bama OC.


    on defense they are looking at Terry Joseph, ex aTm and Tenn dbacks coach. He was on Dooley's staff at Tenn so Saban can back-channel him pretty well....apparently likes what he's heard so far
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Roll Tide
    Posts
    12,635
    I'm hearing Chip Long is Saban's first choice if he can get him away from Notre Dame.

    He's only 34 years old and from Birmingham. If this happens, he likely will be
    co-offensive coordinator with Locksley.

    I thought Saban would go after George Godsey (Detroit Lions) assistant who was in
    the running last year before Daboll was hired. He coached 3 years under Belichick.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    25,404
    just announced that mekhi brown is transferring to Tenn State U. he's the backup LB that went nutjob on the sidelines, stalking Saban before getting grabbed by a coach and fellow LB. see ya, Mekhi
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    RX Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    unc
    Posts
    5,990
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    just announced that mekhi brown is transferring to Tenn State U. he's the backup LB that went nutjob on the sidelines, stalking Saban before getting grabbed by a coach and fellow LB. see ya, Mekhi
    Could see that coming, I figured Saban would just boot him
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    RX Senior
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    just announced that mekhi brown is transferring to Tenn State U. he's the backup LB that went nutjob on the sidelines, stalking Saban before getting grabbed by a coach and fellow LB. see ya, Mekhi

    I can't believe that kid didn't get escorted off the side lines for that, couldn't believe he came back in and made a big play, and now can't believe he isn't transferring to another D1 school.

    Saban isn't going have Cheezits or Art Briles I'd assume. I doubt cheeztits and saban would coexist very well, and I don't think any program will want to be the first to give Briles another shot.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #11  
    113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    25,404
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbackpicks View Post
    I can't believe that kid didn't get escorted off the side lines for that, couldn't believe he came back in and made a big play, and now can't believe he isn't transferring to another D1 school.

    Saban isn't going have Cheezits or Art Briles I'd assume. I doubt cheeztits and saban would coexist very well, and I don't think any program will want to be the first to give Briles another shot.
    wow, that's a lot of stuff you can't believe

    he would have had to sit a year if he stayed in D1A so that's your explanation for Mekhi going to FCS school

    I don't think Briles is a likely candidate or fit, just a rumored name. If they don't get Long I think Freeze has a darn good shot at this job. As evidenced by hires of Kiffin and Sarkisian, CNS is not averse to giving a guy a 2nd chance due to personal shortcomings....sort of like buying a hot stock at it's very lowest price. Obviously did not work out with Sark but certainly did with Kiffin.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #12  
    RX Wizard Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    7,994
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    just announced that mekhi brown is transferring to Tenn State U. he's the backup LB that went nutjob on the sidelines, stalking Saban before getting grabbed by a coach and fellow LB. see ya, Mekhi
    He made a big play shortly after that episode....Saban must have seen the future.
    Donít drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #13  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Roll Tide
    Posts
    12,635
    Hugh Freeze met with Saban Monday in Tuscaloosa. No word on the reason for the meeting.

    Alabama has a big recruiting weekend Saturday and Sunday. Ten players will visit the campus
    including three 5 star, six 4 star and one 3 star recruits. Three of the players have already
    committed and just taking an official visit. Two of the 5 star players are cornerbacks which the
    Tide needs.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #14  
    113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    25,404
    good chance that Karl Scott, DC of UL Lafayette, will be named Dback coach. he worked under newly hired Golding at a couple other stops
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #15  
    RX Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    unc
    Posts
    5,990
    Locksley is new OC, not sure what to think about that hire , good - bad , just ok?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #16  
    RX Senior
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    1,532
    Saban was in south florida this week. Talking to the coaches of the schools of top recruits. Gotta love how he takes the helicopter and lands on the baseball field
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #17  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Roll Tide
    Posts
    12,635
    Quote Originally Posted by pathologist View Post
    Locksley is new OC, not sure what to think about that hire , good - bad , just ok?
    I don't think much of the hire but what I think means squat to Saban. Hard to doubt St. Nick though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #18  
    113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    25,404
    Bama 2-deep for 2018 (# stars for recruit)

    QB
    Tua Tagovailoa (5)/Jalen Hurts (4)

    RB
    Damien Harris (5)/Josh Jacobs (3)/Najee Harris (5)/Brian Robinson (4)

    WR
    Henry Ruggs III (4)/Derek Kief (4)
    Jerry Jeudy (5)/Tyrell Shavers (4)
    DeVonta Smith (4)/Xavian Marks (3)

    TE
    Hale Hentges (4)/Miller Forristall (3)
    Irv Smith Jr. (3)/Major Tennison (4)

    OL
    Jonah Williams (5)/Alex Leatherwood (5)
    Ross Pierschbacher (4)/Dallas Warmack (4)
    Jonah Williams (5)/Brandon Kennedy (4)
    Lester Cotton (4)/Deonte Brown (4)
    Jedrick Wills (4)/Matt Womack (3)

    -----
    DL
    Isaiah Buggs (4)/LaBryan Ray (5)
    Johnny Dwight (4)/Phidarian Mathis (4)
    Raekwon Davis (4)/Quinnen Williams (4)

    OLB
    Anfernee Jennings (4)/Christoper Allen (4)
    Christian Miller (4)/Terrell Lewis (4)

    ILB
    Dylan Moses (5)/Markail Benton (4)
    Mack Wilson (5)/Keith Holcombe (4)

    CB
    Trevon Diggs (4)/Saivion Smith (4)
    Jared Mayden (4)/Shyheim Carter (4)
    Shyheim Carter (4)

    S
    Xavier McKinney (4)/Daniel Wright (4)
    Deionte Thompson (4)/Keaton Anderson (3)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #19  
    113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    25,404
    hard to get too excited about Locksley....pretty meager results much like his predecessor's NFL OC numbers

    scoring offense:
    2005: 107th
    2006: 95th
    2007: 53rd
    2008: 40th
    2012: 109th
    2013: 83rd
    2014: 67th
    2015: 95th

    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #20  
    RX Wizard Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    7,994
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    Bama 2-deep for 2018 (# stars for recruit)

    QB
    Tua Tagovailoa (5)/Jalen Hurts (4)

    RB
    Damien Harris (5)/Josh Jacobs (3)/Najee Harris (5)/Brian Robinson (4)

    WR
    Henry Ruggs III (4)/Derek Kief (4)
    Jerry Jeudy (5)/Tyrell Shavers (4)
    DeVonta Smith (4)/Xavian Marks (3)

    TE
    Hale Hentges (4)/Miller Forristall (3)
    Irv Smith Jr. (3)/Major Tennison (4)

    OL
    Jonah Williams (5)/Alex Leatherwood (5)
    Ross Pierschbacher (4)/Dallas Warmack (4)
    Jonah Williams (5)/Brandon Kennedy (4)
    Lester Cotton (4)/Deonte Brown (4)
    Jedrick Wills (4)/Matt Womack (3)

    -----
    DL
    Isaiah Buggs (4)/LaBryan Ray (5)
    Johnny Dwight (4)/Phidarian Mathis (4)
    Raekwon Davis (4)/Quinnen Williams (4)

    OLB
    Anfernee Jennings (4)/Christoper Allen (4)
    Christian Miller (4)/Terrell Lewis (4)

    ILB
    Dylan Moses (5)/Markail Benton (4)
    Mack Wilson (5)/Keith Holcombe (4)

    CB
    Trevon Diggs (4)/Saivion Smith (4)
    Jared Mayden (4)/Shyheim Carter (4)
    Shyheim Carter (4)

    S
    Xavier McKinney (4)/Daniel Wright (4)
    Deionte Thompson (4)/Keaton Anderson (3)
    Crazy the lack of 5* on the DL and secondary. This just seems low for Bama. Might be where they always have been....just caught me by suprise.
    Donít drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #21  
    113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    25,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    Crazy the lack of 5* on the DL and secondary. This just seems low for Bama. Might be where they always have been....just caught me by suprise.
    secondary will be an issue next year...but does anyone on their schedule have the passing game to exploit it? the new dbacks coach didn't exactly knock it out at Texas Tech...finished something like 123rd against the pass

    up front I would expect Williams to be moved to center and Leatherwood to be the left tackle giving them five 5-star starters on offense. Interesting they have Wills as projected starter over Womack who was the starting right tackle all season. But these are just projections....and, well, Womack was a disaster for 12 regular season games before playing incredible in the playoffs.

    lots of talent but not much experience at WR
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #22  
    RX Wizard Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    7,994
    O line will be stout
    Donít drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #23  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Roll Tide
    Posts
    12,635
    Bama has hired 34 year old Josh Gattis away from Penn State. Gattis was passing game coordinator
    and receivers coach with the Lions. He will be co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach with
    the Tide. Good addition for the offense!


    The young coach is also an excellent recruiter being named the Big Ten Recruiter of the Year in 2015.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #24  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Roll Tide
    Posts
    12,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    O line will be stout
    Alabama's overall offense should be better than 2017. Good offensive line with two really
    good running backs with the Harris boys. I think #22 will shine during 2018. Excellent
    group of young wide receivers.

    How Saban handles the quarterbacks will be interesting to watch. Both will play.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #25  
    RX Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    unc
    Posts
    5,990
    Is Bama going to sign any of these 5* db recruits
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •