Bannon Is Subpoenaed in Mueller’s Russia Investigation

Search

Tokens
Lol, we'll see how "sloppy" Steve is when he's under oath and has the chance to lay the wood to Twittler, whom he thinks is an idiot and who threw him under the bus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/us/politics/steve-bannon-mueller-russia-subpoena.html

Bannon Is Subpoenaed in Mueller’s Russia Investigation

By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT JAN. 16, 2018

WASHINGTON — Stephen K. Bannon, President Trump’s former chief strategist, was subpoenaed last week by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, to testify before a grand jury as part of the investigation into possible links between Mr. Trump’s associates and Russia, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter.

The move marked the first time Mr. Mueller is known to have used a grand jury subpoena to seek information from a member of Mr. Trump’s inner circle. The special counsel’s office has used subpoenas before to seek information on Mr. Trump’s associates and their possible ties to Russia or other foreign governments.

The subpoena could be a negotiating tactic. Mr. Mueller is likely to allow Mr. Bannon to forgo the grand jury appearance if he agrees to instead be questioned by investigators in the less formal setting of the special counsel’s offices about ties between Mr. Trump’s associates and Russia and about the president’s conduct in office, according to the person, who would not be named discussing the case. But it was not clear why Mr. Mueller treated Mr. Bannon differently than the dozen administration officials who were interviewed in the final months of last year and were never served with a subpoena.

The subpoena is a sign that Mr. Bannon is not personally the focus of the investigation. Justice Department rules allow prosecutors to subpoena to the targets of investigations only in rare circumstances.

On Tuesday, Mr. Bannon testified behind closed doors before the House Intelligence Committee, which is also investigating Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election and ties between the Trump campaign and Russia. Mr. Bannon did not address reporters before entering the proceeding on Tuesday, and a spokesman for Mr. Mueller and a senior White House lawyer did not respond to messages seeking comment.

Mr. Mueller issued the subpoena after Mr. Bannon was quoted in a new book criticizing Mr. Trump, saying that Donald Trump Jr.’s 2016 meeting with Russians was “treasonous” and predicting that the special counsel investigation would ultimately center on money laundering.

After excerpts from the book, “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House,” were published this month, Mr. Trump derided Mr. Bannon publicly and threatened to sue him for defamation. Mr. Bannon was soon ousted as the executive chairman of the hard-right website Breitbart News.

Some legal experts said the subpoena could be a sign that the investigation was intensifying, while others said it may simply have been a negotiating tactic to persuade Mr. Bannon to cooperate with the investigation. The experts also said it could be a signal to Mr. Bannon, who has tried to publicly patch up his falling-out with the president, that despite Mr. Trump’s legal threats, Mr. Bannon must be completely forthcoming with investigators.

Prosecutors generally prefer to interview witnesses before a grand jury when they believe they have information that the witnesses do not know or when they think they might catch the witnesses in a lie. It is much easier for a witness to stop the questioning or sidestep questions in an interview than during grand jury testimony, which is transcribed, and witnesses are required to answer every question.

“By forcing someone to testify through a subpoena, you are providing the witness with cover because they can say, ‘I had no choice — I had to go in and testify about everything I knew,’” said Solomon L. Wisenberg, a prosecutor for the independent counsel that investigated Bill Clinton when he was president.

Significant grand jury activity may undermine the case that White House officials have made for months: that they believe the inquiry is coming to an end and are convinced that the president will be cleared. Mr. Mueller has told Mr. Trump’s lawyers that he will probably want to question the president before the investigation concludes, but no interview has been scheduled.

Mr. Bannon has limited firsthand knowledge about two key issues within Mr. Mueller’s purview — the president’s firing of James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, a decision made without Mr. Bannon present, and the drafting of a misleading statement about the subject of the June 2016 meeting with Russians, in which they promised damaging information about Hillary Clinton.

But even Mr. Bannon’s secondhand knowledge could be used to draw a contrast with statements from people with firsthand knowledge whom Mr. Mueller has already interviewed. And Mr. Bannon was directly involved in a number of other major moments, including the decision-making around the firing of Michael T. Flynn, the president’s first national security adviser, who was dismissed after he lied to Vice President Mike Pence about phone calls with the Russian ambassador during the presidential transition.

Mr. Bannon also helped run the transition after Chris Christie, the outgoing governor of New Jersey, was fired as head of that team. And Mr. Bannon was the chief executive of the Trump campaign in October 2016 when WikiLeaks began releasing thousands of stolen personal emails from the hacked account of Mrs. Clinton’s campaign chairman, John D. Podesta.

In “Fire and Fury,” Mr. Bannon was quoted by the author, Michael Wolff, as suggesting that Donald Trump Jr.; the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner; and Paul Manafort, his campaign chairman at the time, were “treasonous” and “unpatriotic” for attending the meeting with Russians at Trump Tower. Mr. Bannon said that he believed there was “zero” chance that the younger Mr. Trump did not take them to meet his father, who has said he knew nothing about the meeting.
Donald Trump By CHRIS CIRILLO 2:31

Stephen Bannon, President Trump’s former chief strategist, was ousted from his post as executive chairman at Breitbart News, the right-wing website he used as a mouthpiece.

“The three senior guys in the campaign thought it was a good idea to meet with a foreign government inside Trump Tower in the conference room on the 25th floor — with no lawyers,” Mr. Bannon said in the book.

Mr. Trump erupted in anger after the excerpts were published, calling Mr. Bannon “Sloppy Steve” on Twitter and saying he had “cried when he got fired and begged for his job.”

“Now Sloppy Steve has been dumped like a dog by almost everyone,” Mr. Trump wrote. “Too bad!”

Days after the excerpts were published, a statement was issued in Mr. Bannon’s name in which he tried to back away from his assertions in the book. He said that his reference to treason was aimed at Mr. Manafort, not the president’s son. Mr. Bannon did not apologize, however, and though he had approved the statement, an associate sent it to reporters without his knowledge.

The president appeared to ease his anger toward Mr. Bannon at the end of last week. When asked in an interview with The Wall Street Journal whether his break with Mr. Bannon was “permanent,” the president replied, “I don’t know what the word ‘permanent’ means.”

People close to Mr. Bannon took the president’s comments as a signal that Mr. Trump was aware that his fired strategist would soon be contacted by investigators.

Mr. Trump has a history of reaching out to people he has fired, including those under investigation, directly or indirectly, as he did with Mr. Flynn after he was dismissed and before he struck a plea deal with Mr. Mueller’s investigators.

Mr. Bannon has hired William A. Burck of the Washington office of the Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan law firm to represent him in the defamation threats from Mr. Trump and the congressional inquiries. Mr. Burck also represents several current and former administration officials who have been interviewed as witnesses by Mr. Mueller’s investigators. Among them are the White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II, and the former White House chief of staff, Reince Priebus.

Life's a bitch, then you die!
Tokens
Like this entire investigation, Mueller interviewing Bannon wiil be a waste of time.
Even if there was something to say Bannon won't say it.

How much longer will Mueller be allowed to waste taxpayer money?

Tokens
Like this entire investigation, Mueller interviewing Bannon wiil be a waste of time.
Even if there was something to say Bannon won't say it.

How much longer will Mueller be allowed to waste taxpayer money?

Waste of time? 4 indictments and 2 guilty pleas, with the Great Mute, Kushner, and maybe Jagoff Jr., "on deck?" Keep dreaming, Genius, lol.

Life's a bitch, then you die!
Tokens
Waste of time? 4 indictments and 2 guilty pleas, with the Great Mute, Kushner, and maybe Jagoff Jr., "on deck?" Keep dreaming, Genius, lol.
Like any of that will change my life or anyone else's.

200w.gif

RX Member
Tokens
Another we got him now moment to get excited about in the land of mental midgets.

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory
Handicapper
Tokens
OMG, this can't be

surely the end is really near this time

face)(*^%

y'know, a broken clock is right twice a day, duhfinch is less accurate than a broken clock

and a blind squirrel would run circles around him

PS: didn't Bannon already spill the beans? what happened to that narrative?

Tokens
Wait... Mueller is back doing the whole "Russian Investigation"?

So almost a year... and no one has been charged with any Russian Collusion or Conspiracy yet.

Hahahaha digging the Democrats grave for as long as he can to hole that narrative I guess

Tokens
Meanwhile

Trump has NO dementia: White House doctor says president had a perfect 30/30 score on cognitive screening test that Trump REQUESTED

• White House has been beset with claims that the president is mentally impaired
  • Charges were leveled in 'Fire and Fury' book by author who says most of Trump's close aides fear he's not mentally capable to be president
  • Navy doctor Ronny Jackson examined Trump on Friday and added a cognitive screening test to the regimen because the president asked him to
  • Trump scored perfect 30 out of 30 on the test, ruling out Alzheimer's Disease or other cognitive impairment
  • Jackson said this was the first time a sitting president has been given such a cognitive examination
By David Martosko, Us Political Editor For Dailymail.com
Published: 16:37 EST, 16 January 2018 | Updated: 18:30 EST, 16 January 2018

President Donald Trump's recent medical examination showed no indication of cognitive impairment or dementia, according to the physician who conducted and supervised it.
His White House physician, U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Ronny Jackson, added what he called 'a screening assessment for cognitive impairment' to Trump's annual health assessment. It resulted in a perfect score.
Based on his daily observations of the president, Jackson said, a mental screening would not normally be recommended.
But Trump himself asked for the test, he told reporters Tuesday at the White House.
Scroll down for video and to read the test

FIT TO SERVE: President Donald Trump does not suffer from any form of dementia or cognitive impairment, according to the U.S. Navy doctor who examined him on Friday
White House physician Ronny Jackson told reporters that he hadn't planned to perform a cognitive assessment of Trump, but the president specifically asked him to in order to put rumors to rest about his mental health

'I had absolutely no concerns about his cognitive ability or his – you know, his neurological function. So I was not going to do a cognitive exam. I had no intention of doing one,' Jackson recalled.
'The reason that we did the cognitive assessment is, plain and simple, because the president asked me to do it.'
'He came to me and he said, "Is there something we can do, a test or some type of screening that we can do, to assess my cognitive ability?" And so I looked into it,' Jackson said.
Trump scored a perfect 30 out of 30 on the Montreal Cognitive Assessment, a standard test that helps primary care physicians spot early-onset Alzheimer's Disease and other forms of dementia.
Jackson said the test is 'sensitive enough' to identify any potential problems.
'It would pick up on it. He would not have gotten 30 out of 30 on the test,' Jackson declared.
'I'm very confident at this particular stage that he has nothing like that going on ... Absolutely no cognitive, mental issues whatsoever. He is very sharp.'
The White House has found itself beset with weeks of speculation about the president's mental state, largely resulting from an author's claim that most of Trump's close aides are concerned about his psychological fitness for office.

'That did drive part of the process,' Jackson said Tuesday. 'I think this has been the narrative for awhile, and I think he saw doing the physical as an opportunity to put some of that to rest.'
Trump 'wasn't, obviously, the least bit concerned that he had anything to hide,' he added, 'and so he actively asked me to include that in it, and so we did.'
Jackson said future cognitive testing would be up to the president, and that he personally wouldn't have recommended it this year.
'If the president wants to get one done next year, then we'll do another one next year,' he said.
The Montreal Cognitive Assessment is used at Walter Reed military hospital near Washington, D.C. it's a 30-question test that includes measures of short-term memory, concentration and attention.
A score of 26 or higher is considered 'normal.' In one study, test-takers with mild cognitive impairment typicallly scored 22. Alzheimer's patients scored an average of barely 16.
'We picked one of the ones that was a little more involved,' Jackson said of the Montreal test, comparing it to others he could have chosen. 'It was longer. It was the more difficult one of all of them.'

The Montreal Cognitive Assessment is a 30-question test that includes measures of short-term memory, concentration and attention

Adding a cognitive evaluation to Friday's comprehensive physical was a chance for the president to demonstrate claims by author Michael Wolff (above) that he's suffering from dementia are untrue
Dr. Jackson spoke to the press and took questions for nearly an hour on Tuesday

'It took significantly longer to complete but the president did exceedingly well on it.'
the doctor described Trump as 'very sharp' and sad 'he's very articulate when he speaks to me.'
'I've never known him to repeat himself around me. He says what he's got to say and he speaks his mind. I found no reason to think that the president has any issues whatsoever with his thought process.'
'Absolutely he is fit for duty,' he said of the president.
A number of psychiatrists, including a Yale doctor invited by congressional Democrats, have claimed Trump suffers from dementia-like symptoms that should be concerning enough to trigger an effort to remove him on constitutional grounds.
'People shouldn't be making those kinds of assessments about the president unless they've had the opportunity to get to know him and to examine him,' Jackson insisted.
'And in my opinion, that's just tabloid psychiatry, and I'm not going to address it.'
Can YOU pass President Trump's cognitive test?

This is a copy of the sheet the examiner and patient fill out during the 10-minute test

President Donald Trump received a perfect score on a standard cognitive assessment test, his doctor revealed in a White House briefing.
The 10-minute test, known as the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA), was created in 1996 for medical professionals to id
entify mild cognitive dysfunction.
It assesses concentration, attention, memory, language, calculations, orientation, executive functions and visual skills.
Trump scored 30 out of 30. A score above 26 is deemed 'normal,' while anything lower than that is cause for concern.
Those who do well on the test do not need further cognitive examinstion.
The average score is 27.4. People with mild cognitive impairment score an average of 22.1, while Alzheimer's patients tend to score around 16.
First used in Montreal, Canada, the test is now one of the most respected methods of assessing cognitive health worldwide, available in 55 languages and dialects, and formats for testing illiterate patients and in other cultural settings (by changing certain references).
Trump is the first U.S. president to undergo the test as part of his presidential physical.
This is how a doctor performs the test, and how a patient is graded:

Tokens
Like any of that will change my life or anyone else's.

200w.gif

The above is a "two-fer" in incredibly stupidity: the fact that you are too stupid to realize the immensely positive effect of getting this racist, stupid, senile, crooked, 6-lies-a-day toad out of office is bad enough, but you really have to be a grade A moron-not to mention arrogant-to think that an idiot like YOU can speak for "anyone else." That's almost as stupid as Twittler saying he's the "least racist person you'll ever meet," lol.

Tokens
The above is a "two-fer" in incredibly stupidity: the fact that you are too stupid to realize the immensely positive effect of getting this racist, stupid, senile, crooked, 6-lies-a-day toad out of office is bad enough, but you really have to be a grade A moron-not to mention arrogant-to think that an idiot like YOU can speak for "anyone else." That's almost as stupid as Twittler saying he's the "least racist person you'll ever meet," lol.

News Flash... Obama already left office last year

Tokens
Meanwhile

Trump has NO dementia: White House doctor says president had a perfect 30/30 score on cognitive screening test that Trump REQUESTED

• White House has been beset with claims that the president is mentally impaired
  • Charges were leveled in 'Fire and Fury' book by author who says most of Trump's close aides fear he's not mentally capable to be president
  • Navy doctor Ronny Jackson examined Trump on Friday and added a cognitive screening test to the regimen because the president asked him to
  • Trump scored perfect 30 out of 30 on the test, ruling out Alzheimer's Disease or other cognitive impairment
  • Jackson said this was the first time a sitting president has been given such a cognitive examination
By David Martosko, Us Political Editor For Dailymail.com
Published: 16:37 EST, 16 January 2018 | Updated: 18:30 EST, 16 January 2018

President Donald Trump's recent medical examination showed no indication of cognitive impairment or dementia, according to the physician who conducted and supervised it.
His White House physician, U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Ronny Jackson, added what he called 'a screening assessment for cognitive impairment' to Trump's annual health assessment. It resulted in a perfect score.
Based on his daily observations of the president, Jackson said, a mental screening would not normally be recommended.
But Trump himself asked for the test, he told reporters Tuesday at the White House.
Scroll down for video and to read the test

FIT TO SERVE: President Donald Trump does not suffer from any form of dementia or cognitive impairment, according to the U.S. Navy doctor who examined him on Friday
White House physician Ronny Jackson told reporters that he hadn't planned to perform a cognitive assessment of Trump, but the president specifically asked him to in order to put rumors to rest about his mental health

'I had absolutely no concerns about his cognitive ability or his – you know, his neurological function. So I was not going to do a cognitive exam. I had no intention of doing one,' Jackson recalled.
'The reason that we did the cognitive assessment is, plain and simple, because the president asked me to do it.'
'He came to me and he said, "Is there something we can do, a test or some type of screening that we can do, to assess my cognitive ability?" And so I looked into it,' Jackson said.
Trump scored a perfect 30 out of 30 on the Montreal Cognitive Assessment, a standard test that helps primary care physicians spot early-onset Alzheimer's Disease and other forms of dementia.
Jackson said the test is 'sensitive enough' to identify any potential problems.
'It would pick up on it. He would not have gotten 30 out of 30 on the test,' Jackson declared.
'I'm very confident at this particular stage that he has nothing like that going on ... Absolutely no cognitive, mental issues whatsoever. He is very sharp.'
The White House has found itself beset with weeks of speculation about the president's mental state, largely resulting from an author's claim that most of Trump's close aides are concerned about his psychological fitness for office.

'That did drive part of the process,' Jackson said Tuesday. 'I think this has been the narrative for awhile, and I think he saw doing the physical as an opportunity to put some of that to rest.'
Trump 'wasn't, obviously, the least bit concerned that he had anything to hide,' he added, 'and so he actively asked me to include that in it, and so we did.'
Jackson said future cognitive testing would be up to the president, and that he personally wouldn't have recommended it this year.
'If the president wants to get one done next year, then we'll do another one next year,' he said.
The Montreal Cognitive Assessment is used at Walter Reed military hospital near Washington, D.C. it's a 30-question test that includes measures of short-term memory, concentration and attention.
A score of 26 or higher is considered 'normal.' In one study, test-takers with mild cognitive impairment typicallly scored 22. Alzheimer's patients scored an average of barely 16.
'We picked one of the ones that was a little more involved,' Jackson said of the Montreal test, comparing it to others he could have chosen. 'It was longer. It was the more difficult one of all of them.'

The Montreal Cognitive Assessment is a 30-question test that includes measures of short-term memory, concentration and attention

Adding a cognitive evaluation to Friday's comprehensive physical was a chance for the president to demonstrate claims by author Michael Wolff (above) that he's suffering from dementia are untrue
Dr. Jackson spoke to the press and took questions for nearly an hour on Tuesday

'It took significantly longer to complete but the president did exceedingly well on it.'
the doctor described Trump as 'very sharp' and sad 'he's very articulate when he speaks to me.'
'I've never known him to repeat himself around me. He says what he's got to say and he speaks his mind. I found no reason to think that the president has any issues whatsoever with his thought process.'
'Absolutely he is fit for duty,' he said of the president.
A number of psychiatrists, including a Yale doctor invited by congressional Democrats, have claimed Trump suffers from dementia-like symptoms that should be concerning enough to trigger an effort to remove him on constitutional grounds.
'People shouldn't be making those kinds of assessments about the president unless they've had the opportunity to get to know him and to examine him,' Jackson insisted.
'And in my opinion, that's just tabloid psychiatry, and I'm not going to address it.'
Can YOU pass President Trump's cognitive test?

This is a copy of the sheet the examiner and patient fill out during the 10-minute test

President Donald Trump received a perfect score on a standard cognitive assessment test, his doctor revealed in a White House briefing.
The 10-minute test, known as the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA), was created in 1996 for medical professionals to id
entify mild cognitive dysfunction.
It assesses concentration, attention, memory, language, calculations, orientation, executive functions and visual skills.
Trump scored 30 out of 30. A score above 26 is deemed 'normal,' while anything lower than that is cause for concern.
Those who do well on the test do not need further cognitive examinstion.
The average score is 27.4. People with mild cognitive impairment score an average of 22.1, while Alzheimer's patients tend to score around 16.
First used in Montreal, Canada, the test is now one of the most respected methods of assessing cognitive health worldwide, available in 55 languages and dialects, and formats for testing illiterate patients and in other cultural settings (by changing certain references).
Trump is the first U.S. president to undergo the test as part of his presidential physical.
This is how a doctor performs the test, and how a patient is graded:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's IMPOSSIBLE you're that fucking stupid. The first doctor's report misspelled the doctor's name, you fucking moron!!!!! You'll pardon me if all subsequent reports from this "doctor" are to instantly disregarded. SOMETHING TO SAY, YOU BLUBBERY BELLIED, LYING PILE OF SHIT????? Where's the post where I wished death on Twittler, you steaming turd????

http://deepstatenation.com/it-sure-d...s-fake-images/
It Sure Does Look Like The Doctor’s Note On Trump’s Health Is Fake (IMAGES)

By
Conover -January 13, 2018

In a statement, the White House physician pronounced Donald Trump to be in “excellent health” then misspelled his own name. It was signed ‘Dr. Ronnie Jackson’ instead of Ronny Jackson, MD, FAAEM. The statement said that the exam went “exceptionally well” and added that the 71-year-old former reality show star is “in excellent health.” It almost feels as if the note was written by Trump’s personal physician, Dr. Harold Bornstein, who declared in 2016 that Trump “will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency.”

Tokens
Ohhh, Sloppy Steve got subpoenaed TWICE, apparently he is still trying kiss and make up with Twittler, so he wasn't very forthcoming, and Congress instantly joined Mueller in serving him, lol. C'mon, Steve, you're a fat, racist hobo looking mofo, but you ain't dumb, drop the hammer and rat yer ex-boss out, especially since he's kicked you to the curb in humiliating fashion.popcorn-eatinggif

Tokens

Demwits always use this talking point. 4 indictments having nothing to do with Russia.

Nice try Ervin.

Tokens
Demwits always use this talking point. 4 indictments having nothing to do with Russia.

Nice try Ervin.

Papadop...pleaded guilty...to lying to the FBI...about the Russian investigation.

YOU...ARE...A FUCKING IDIOT.

Rx Normal
Tokens
Mueller now getting his leads from "bombshell" books like Fire and Fury.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Tokens
He lied to the FBI which has zero to do with Russian collusion. Keep trying.

Wtf is wrong with you????? YOU said the indictments have "... nothing to do with Russia." He pleaded guilty...to lying to the FBI...about the Russian investigation. Why you're trying to ignore the last 2 words of that sentence is anybody's guess, but, those words obviously have something to do Russia, therefore, you area a liar, and a moron. Why the need to lie(by him AND by Flynn )if there is "zero to do with Russian collusion," you brain dead putz? Buy a brain and come back next year, asshole.

Tokens
Wtf is wrong with you????? YOU said the indictments have "... nothing to do with Russia." He pleaded guilty...to lying to the FBI...about the Russian investigation. Why you're trying to ignore the last 2 words of that sentence is anybody's guess, but, those words obviously have something to do Russia, therefore, you area a liar, and a moron. Why the need to lie(by him AND by Flynn )if there is "zero to do with Russian collusion," you brain dead putz? Buy a brain and come back next year, asshole.

Are you really arguing this low level clown is breaking some news on Russia because he lied to the FBI about their questions surrounding Russia?

Tokens
Lol, no "executive privilege" claims for Mueller, and Hobo Steve has chosen to spill his guts ONLY to Mueller. Why he didn't tell Twittler to stuff a golf club up his ass is a mystery, but, as long as he rats him out to the Big Dog, it's all good.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...-white-house-gag-order-after-bannon-testimony [h=1]Intel Dem decries White House 'gag order' after Bannon testimony[/h] By Katie Bo Williams - 01/16/18 09:00 PM EST

The top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee on Tuesday night slammed what he described as a "gag order by the White House" following testimony from President Trump's former chief strategist Steve Bannon before the panel amid its Russia probe.

Bannon refused to answer questions related to his time in the White House and on the transition team during 10 hours of testimony before the panel, according to lawmakers, cabining his responses to his stint on the campaign.

That limitation was at the request of the White House, ranking member Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) told reporters when the interview broke on Tuesday evening.

Bannon’s counsel conferred with the White House after the committee issued a subpoena, Schiff said, “and was instructed by the White House to refuse again to answer any questions concerning the time during the transition and his time in the administration.”

“The scope of this assertion of privilege—if that’s what it is—is breathtaking,” Schiff said. “It goes well beyond anything we’ve seen in this investigation … This was effectively a gag order by the White House.”

The White House in a statement earlier in the day said it is “fully cooperative” with the ongoing investigation without addressing directly whether it had instructed Bannon not to answer certain questions.

“As with all congressional inquiries touching upon the White House, Congress must consult with the White House prior to obtaining confidential material,” press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said.

“This is part of a judicially recognized process that goes back decades. We have been fully cooperative with these ongoing investigations and encourage the committees to work with us to find an appropriate accommodation in order to ensure Congress obtains information necessary to its legitimate interests.”

Bannon’s refusal to answer questions drew the ire of lawmakers from both parties —especially, multiple sources told The Hill, after Bannon indicated that he would not place the same restrictions in any testimony he gave to special counsel Robert Mueller.

“He doesn’t have any friends in that room,” one source said shortly prior to the breakup of the interview.

Sources described the meeting as a “total free-for-all” and “brutal.”

The White House also sought to limit Bannon’s testimony on any conversations he had with the president after his departure from the administration in August.

Bannon has since fallen out of favor with the president, at least publicly, after the publication of a controversial book about the Trump White House in which he is quoted as calling a key Trump Tower meeting involving the president’s eldest son and a Russian lawyer “treasonous.”

Still, Schiff said, “The witness declined to answer questions based on the instruction of the White House.”

The New York Times revealed earlier on Tuesday that the special counsel has obtained a separate, grand jury subpoena to force testimony from Bannon.

Bannon’s appearance before the committee was voluntary. He did not formally invoke any form of executive privilege, which as a non-administration official, Rep. Mike Conaway (R-Texas) said, he would not be able to do.

“This witness is not an executive,” Conaway said. “He’s not in a position to be able to do that.”

The move to issue a subpoena during the middle of an interview is an unusual one for the House panel and is a break from how committee lawmakers have handled other witnesses who have declined to answer certain questions. Democrats have complained bitterly that Republicans have let recalcitrant witnesses off of the hook.

“This was the first time that we saw a witness refuse to answer questions on the instruction of the White House or on the claim that the White House might later invoke privilege in which [the majority was] not only unwilling to accept that answer but willing to act with great alacrity to subpoena that witness in real time and insist that he come back,” Schiff said.

Rep. Tom Rooney (R-Fla.), who is assisting Conaway in running the committee probe, described the interview as having been complicated by the question of executive privilege.

“I certainly think that when the committee expects an executive privilege, when does that attach is the question that is sort of dominating the day. You know, at what time does it attach? During the transition or during the actual swearing in?” Rep. Tom Rooney (R-Fla.) told reporters.

“If you are part of the White House in any way and you’re talking about things that were during the campaign, but it happens to be in the White House, then what? What’s the answer? So that’s the quandary.”

When the interview finally recessed around 8 p.m., according to Conaway, the subpoena remained in effect.

“The subpoena stays in effect and we’re going to get the answers from Mr. Bannon that we did not get today,” Conaway told reporters.

In the recent book "Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House," Bannon told author Michael Wolff that a June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower between campaign officials and a Russian lawyer believed to have political dirt on then-Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton was “treasonous.”

"The three senior guys in the campaign thought it was a good idea to meet with a foreign government inside Trump Tower in the conference room on the 25th floor—with no lawyers," Bannon said, according to Wolff’s account. “Even if you thought that this was not treasonous, or unpatriotic ... you should have called the FBI immediately.”

Further, Bannon added, “the chance that [Donald Trump Jr.] did not walk these jumos up to his father's office on the twenty-sixth floor is zero.”

Lawmakers were expected to press Bannon on what the president knew about that meeting, long a flashpoint in the controversy surrounding the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia, as well as any financial crimes that may have been committed.

“Specifically what's the basis for his assertion that the president met with the participants in the Trump Tower meeting,” Schiff told ABC News's Pierre Thomas prior to the interview. “What [Bannon] knows about the president’s knowledge of that meeting, as well as his concerns over money laundering which has been a persistent concern of ours as well.”

One source told The Hill that Bannon told lawmakers that "treasonous" was too strongly-worded but that he believed the meeting to be unpatriotic.

But the committee’s interest in Bannon predates the release of Wolff’s book and he was expected to face questions about his knowledge of any other contacts that Trump transition team members may have had with Russian officials.

Schiff cited any conversations Bannon may have had with former national security advisor Michael Flynn and former chief of staff Reince Priebus.

Bannon was not a participant in a number of key incidents believed to be focal points of the Mueller investigation, including the Trump Tower meeting and Trump's dismissal of FBI Director James Comey in May 2017.

Bannon was, however, reportedly involved in the decision-making behind firing Flynn, who has since pleaded guilty to lying to federal investigators as part of the Mueller probe.

Flynn was dismissed less than a month into the Trump administration after it was revealed that he had misled Vice President Pence and others on the nature of a phone call with the Russian ambassador.

Priebus was linked to one notable incident related to Comey's dismissal. According to Comey, Trump shooed Priebus from the room before pressing the then-FBI director to "let go" of the Flynn investigation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com