Forum: College Football Forum - Sponsored by:

Thread: Signing Day thread

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrofins View Post
    There was an article in the newspaper that said its likely that ESPN will have cameras on signing day at Surtain's and Campbell's and Chatfields' school so they'll most likely wait until signing day.

There have been plenty of good football players out of that school (american heritage) but i dont recall Saban ever getting any of them (he was done well in broward county).

Mike Rumph was their former hs football coach and he is now an assistant with the hurricanes. Lets see what happens
    i think bama has a better shot with Griffin than Campbell. I'd rate Surtain now 85% tide, Campbell 80% uga, Griffin 55% Bama, ITS 75% Bama

so many big time CB's still out there

RX Member
    Brevin White (qb) going to Princeton. Was announced a few hours ago

RX Member
    Curious to see if Purdy ends up at Bama. It’s between Bama, Iowa state, and UCF

Curious to see if Purdy ends up at Bama. It’s between Bama, Iowa state, and UCF
    IMHO he is a huge reach for Bama...a Parker McLeod type reach. Signing 2 players in LY class plus starting a true frosh in 2016 led them to this position where their top 6-7 QB targets all signed elsewhere and now they're looking for a decent warm body. Not to mention the revolving door at OC....and Tua's brother 90% bet to sign with Bama in 2019

If I am Purdy I head to Iowa State or Boise St or aTm or UCF ... but my guess is the allure to Bama football will have him sign. For the kid's sake i prefer UCF get him

RX Member
    Purdy is down to Iowa state or Tex A&M

Purdy is down to Iowa state or Tex A&M
    yeah Bama never gave him a committable offer and told him they would have an answer for him this afternoon. Obviously that answer was "NO", or they were still wavering, similar to what they just did with James Foster. We wanted a QB but already missed on our top 6-7 guys and were just sifting through crumbs once the other kid stuck with Princeton.

Bama definitely getting caught a bit flat-footed from this first early signing period year and are now sending offers to kids 10 days before LOI that never gave them a look before. Purdy was a huge reach, same with Moody and Beal. Saban has never been in this position before...sending offers to kids that aren't Bama worthy because his old assistant coaches are plucking his commits.

interesting year for sure but still hopeful for a big closing LOI day this Wednesday. I will not be completely shocked if we're left cleaning egg off our face, however.

.....a few notes from the Bama recruiting weekend:
    Waddle (aTm vs Bama) did not take a visit to aTm this weekend. Positive for Bama
    Ross (Clem vs Bama) did not take any visits this weekend. Positive for Bama
    Petit-Frere (thought it was Fla or Bama or ND) visited Ohio State this weekend unexpectedly. Negative for Bama
    Bobby Brown (aTm vs Bama) spent entire weekend at aTm. Real bad for Bama
    Moody (suddenly of interest to Bama) visited Bama this weekend. If he gets a committable offer that means Petersen/Walker/Jackson are going elsewhere which would be worst case scenario
    Surtain and Campbell both gave Miami a last shot this weekend. Still think Surtain to Bama, Campbell to Georgia

of the other big CB targets...Taylor-Stuart surprisingly visited Pruitt and Tenn this weekend while neither Smith nor Griffin went anywhere. I say ITS and Smith to Bama, Griffin to USCw

one thing for sure is that both Jimbo and Pruitt will be a couple serious recruiters in the SEC...

btw, the "Dead Period" begins tomorrow through LOI day so that's it for face-to-face meetings for this year's recruits. Feb 7 is the big day....

24/7 has 3 schools with a shot at landing the #1 class although a lot would need to happen to replace UGA right now.

I think there's a better chance for Bama to have a legendary failure of LOI day than to snag most of their top targets. This week been serious momentum for Surtain back to LSU....and both ITS/Griffin to USCw, plus a decommit from Walker to join Petersen at Tenn

The Favorite: Georgia Bulldogs
    Kirby Smart and company currently sit at No. 2, with a 247Sports Composite score of 309.23, which is a hair behind Urban Meyerand Ohio State’s 311.17. But UGA has three spots in play and nothing but blue-chippers on the board.
    The reason why the Bulldogs are the favorite is because the 247Sports Crystal Ball says five-star cornerback Tyson Campbelllooks destined for Athens, although Alabama and Miami are trying to change that. Beyond Campbell, Smart and his staff are targeting Top247 defensive tackle Rick Sandidge, blue-chip in-state linebackers Otis Reese and Quay Walker, along with four-star receivers Tommy Bush and Antoine Green.
    If UGA only hits on Campbell from this group, the race to No. 1 remains interesting. If Smart and company land Campbell and then some, it’s likely a wrap for the Bulldogs. The safe final score projection for Georgia’s class is 315.50 with the addition of Campbell. If the Bulldogs hit on every top target projection (Campbell, Walker and Sandidge), they’d come in at 326.11, which would be the highest-total score in 247Sports history.

The Challenger: Ohio State Buckeyes
    The last time Alabama didn’t finish No. 1 in the 247Sports Recruiting Rankings was when Meyer and his staff at Florida lured in the highest-ranking class in our network’s history back in 2010 (324.62). Nine cycles later, Meyer is back in position to finish No. 1 again, and if his staff can convince five-star offensive tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere that Columbus is home, that would give OSU the edge over UGA's class, according to the 247Sports Class Calculator. From there, if the Buckeyes can also beat Penn State for Top247 offensive tackle Rasheed Walker, that would mean Georgia would have to hit on Campbell and Walker or any combination of Campbell and two other names.
    The safe final score projection for Ohio State remains the same score they have today in 311.17. If they land Petit-Frere that takes them to 316.41 and with Walker to 318.61. The other prominent name on the board for the Buckeyes is defensive end Javontae Jean-Baptiste.

The Longshot: Alabama Crimson Tide
    Of course they’re still in it. Alabama is sitting back in the No. 6 spot at 275.92, but enough blue-chippers have the Crimson Tide as a finalist that we can’t rule them out. And with the recruiting prowess of Nick Saban and his staff over the last seven years, it wouldn’t be all that surprising if they pulled this off.
    Petit-Frere, five-star cornerback Patrick Surtain Jr; Campbell, five-star cornerback Olaijah Griffin; and Top247 receivers Jaylen Waddle, Justyn Ross and Jacob Copeland all have the Crimson Tide in the top two or three. Four-star defensive end Malik Langham, cornerback Eddie Smith and linebacker Jaylen Moody are among a handful of others still in play for Alabama as well.
    If you send Surtain, Petit-Frere and Griffin to Alabama in the Class Calculator, that takes them to 301.89. Then add Waddle and Ross and you’re at 311.93. Smith and Langham take you to 313.48. Long-story short, the names are still there for Alabama to make a run at an eighth straight 247Sports Recruiting Title.

Out of The Picture: Texas Longhorns
    Tom Herman has assembled a class that UT fans should be excited about, but based on the players realistically on their board entering National Signing Day, there's no way the Longhorns, currently sitting at No. 3 in the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings, can mathematically grab the top spot.

undecided 5-stars, my guesses:

#32 Isaac Taylor-Stuart = USCw (ITS was trending hard to Bama but things went real quiet these last two weeks which usually means a kid is staying home)
    #31 Jaylen Waddle = Bama (aTm clearly still in this but I think he goes to Ttown. Most exciting player in the 2018 class)
    #25 Tyson Campbell = Georgia (Bama and Miami not far out of it but going to Athens)
    #23 Olaijah Griffin = USCw (Bama made it interesting for a while but he's staying local)
    #15 Justyn Ross = Bama (Clemson made it interesting but he's been big on Bama for several years)
    #11 Nick Petit-Frere = Ohio St (for the past 18 months I never thought he would end up anywhere but Bama or Notre Dame but he's been too quiet IMO, so guessing OSU or Florida. Easily the biggest question mark in the class. Bama already missed on Salyer, Carman, and likely Sewell so he is a "must get" in my book and would be a massive miss)
    #8 Patrick Surtain Jr = Bama (Really thought he was all Bama until a recent wave of LSU but I think Bama gets him in the end. We haven't lost too many recent battles with LSU but i don't have this higher than 55% for Bama so could switch)

If all my predictions are true, which is unlikely, that means Bama ends up with 4 5-stars, USCw 5 5-stars, Georgia 8 5-stars, Clemson 5 5-stars, and Ohio St 3 5-stars. Being that only 33 5-stars are in the class that is a massive consolidation of talent among five schools (25 of 33 among five schools)

opinions welcome

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post

#32 Isaac Taylor-Stuart = USCw (ITS was trending hard to Bama but things went real quiet these last two weeks which usually means a kid is staying home)
    #31 Jaylen Waddle = Bama (aTm clearly still in this but I think he goes to Ttown. Most exciting player in the 2018 class)
    #25 Tyson Campbell = Georgia (Bama and Miami not far out of it but going to Athens)
    #23 Olaijah Griffin = USCw (Bama made it interesting for a while but he's staying local)
    #15 Justyn Ross = Bama (Clemson made it interesting but he's been big on Bama for several years)
    #11 Nick Petit-Frere = Ohio St (for the past 18 months I never thought he would end up anywhere but Bama or Notre Dame but he's been too quiet IMO, so guessing OSU or Florida. Easily the biggest question mark in the class. Bama already missed on Salyer, Carman, and likely Sewell so he is a "must get" in my book and would be a massive miss)
    #8 Patrick Surtain Jr = Bama (Really thought he was all Bama until a recent wave of LSU but I think Bama gets him in the end. We haven't lost too many recent battles with LSU but i don't have this higher than 55% for Bama so could switch)

If all my predictions are true, which is unlikely, that means Bama ends up with 4 5-stars, USCw 5 5-stars, Georgia 8 5-stars, Clemson 5 5-stars, and Ohio St 3 5-stars. Being that only 33 5-stars are in the class that is a massive consolidation of talent among five schools (25 of 33 among five schools)

opinions welcome
    Same predictions but from the head of Rivals recruiting:

ITS = USCw
    Waddle = aTm
    Campbell = UGA
    Griffin = USCw
    Ross = Bama
    NPF = Florida
    Surtain = LSU

and Athlon:

ITS = USCw
    Waddle = aTm
    Campbell = UGA
    Griffin = Tennessee
    Ross = none given
    NPF = Florida
    Surtain = LSU

Signing Day Special on ESPNU/ESPN2

Tune in for all the news and commitments on national signing day (10-12 ET on ESPNU;
    12-3 ET on ESPN2)

TIME (ET) NAME RANK CONSIDERING
    10:10 CB Patrick Surtain Jr. 5 LSU, Alabama
    10:15 CB Tyson Campbell 9 Georgia, Alabama
    10:20 DE Andrew Chatfield 159 Oklahoma, Maine
    10:30 OT Nicholas Petit-Frere 13 Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio St.
    11:30 QB Tanner McKee 76 Stanford, A&M, Texas, Bama, Washington, BYU
    12:15 WR Tommy Bush 71 UGA, Ole Miss, Miss. State, Baylor
    12:30 LB Solomon Tuliaupupu 197 USC, Notre Dame, UCLA
    1:15 WR Justyn Ross 74 Alabama, Auburn, Clemson
    2:05 ATH Devon Williams 16 Oregon, USC
    2:30 WR Jacob Copeland 40 Tennessee, A&M, Bama, Florida
    2:45 RB Maurice Washington 93 Ohio St., Nebraska, Arizona St.

Would never thought I would see Bama missing on the CB position if they don't get one of the big 3.

Are times changing?
    Donít drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!

RX Wizard
    NPF is trending to Ohio State. I don't get it.

Chatfield is trending UF.

I'll be curious to see how the major teams w/ new head coaches do (UF, UT, FSU, A&M specifically - also Oregon, UCLA, and Arkansas).

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    Would never thought I would see Bama missing on the CB position if they don't get one of the big 3.

Are times changing?
    might be the crimson glasses but i think Bama have a better chance of landing 2 of those 4 five star dbacks vs landing 0 in addition to Eddie Smith

CNS doesn't miss on that many guys in one day...

if you wanted a wild prediction for a final day close I'll say Surtain and Campbell. Campbell has never stopped calling Bama...i think he could be one of the final day surprises like if Petit-Frere ends up at Ohio State instead of Bama/Fla/ND. Never saw that one coming

makes for another interesting LOI day starting at 830 ET for me.....

Here's the rundown of Alabama's targets and commits:
    4-star DT Bobby Brown -- 7:30 a.m. CT
    3-star CB Eddie Smith -- 8 a.m. CT
    5-star CB Patrick Surtain Jr. -- 9 a.m. CT hour on ESPNU
    5-star CB Tyson Campbell -- 9 a.m. CT hour on ESPNU
    5-star OT Nicholas Petit-Frere -- 9 a.m. CT hour on ESPNU
    4-star QB Tanner McKee -- 10 a.m. CT hour on ESNPU
    4-star LB Quay Walker -- Alabama commit -- 10 a.m. CT
    5-star CB Olaijah Griffin -- 12 p.m. CT hour on ESPN2
    4-star WR Justyn Ross -- 12 p.m. CT hour on ESPN2
    4-star WR Jacob Copeland -- 12 p.m. CT hour on ESPN2
    3-star TE Glenn Beal -- 12 p.m. CT
    4-star LB JJ Peterson -- 12 p.m. CT hour
    4-star DE Malik Langham -- 2:30 p.m. CT
    4-star WR Jaylen Waddle -- 3:30 p.m. CT
    4-star OL Penei Sewell -- 4:00 p.m. CT
    4-star ATH/LB Vernon Jackson -- Alabama commit -- TBD
    4-star LB JJ Peterson -- Tennessee commit -- TBD
    3-star LB Jaylen Moody -- TBD

Lots of buzz around Athens regarding Quay.....this kid is all over the place. Tenny people are already bitching about Kirbys bag man......lol.

I would be surprised not to see Campbell a Dawg. We close with Campbell, Walker, Reese, and Bush would be a dream come true.
    Donít drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!

Lots of buzz around Athens regarding Quay.....this kid is all over the place. Tenny people are already bitching about Kirbys bag man......lol.

I would be surprised not to see Campbell a Dawg. We close with Campbell, Walker, Reese, and Bush would be a dream come true.
    didn't predict Walker since he's a 4-star but I expect him to decommit from Bama and join Peterson and Pruitt at Tenny. Hell, even UGA and the barn are in play. The Walker deal, with Bama, seemed to unravel once Pruitt went to tenn and almost immediately got Peterson to flip so that's why i think he's joining Pruitt.

Tenn could be the bigger gainer on LOI day... sitting 23rd today on Rivals but a top 10 is not out of the question with the amount of 4-5 stars that Pruitt have looking at Knoxville. Hope not, as i despise that school, but either them or aTm stand to make the biggest leap.

back in the morning....

first shot fired as Bobby Brown decommits from Tide and joins Jimbo at aTm

uh oh

according to my guy the runs bama recruiting coverage Justyn Ross has been targeted heavily by both barn and Clemson in last 48 hours and is now very much back in play to all 3 schools.

if he goes to clemson that will be first time one school pulled the #1 player in 5 different states.

Bama recruiting morning is not going well .... Jackson gone, Brown gone, Walker all but gone, and now Ross reconsidering

RX Wizard
    Tide get Surtain, that is huge

experts all had Surtain to LSU, but he's rolling with the Tide

Campbell to UGA as expected....

Petit-Frere to Ohio State

my predictions 3-0, the experts 1-2 (also got the commit from Eddie Smith at CB)

wow not only do UGA get Quay Walker but just landed Tommy Bush unexpectedly

wraps up this class as being the greatest of all time

congrats Dawg fans! you guys that were unsure about Kirby were crazy

according to my guy the runs bama recruiting coverage Justyn Ross has been targeted heavily by both barn and Clemson in last 48 hours and is now very much back in play to all 3 schools.

if he goes to clemson that will be first time one school pulled the #1 player in 5 different states.
    Bama bloodbath continues....Ross to Clemson

Saban struggling to keep his A+ assistants around is starting to show a little.

Has Tenny done anything, besides Walker throwing the UT hat?
    Donít drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!

Saban struggling to keep his A+ assistants around is starting to show a little.

Has Tenny done anything, besides Walker throwing the UT hat?
    the youth of dabo and pruitt can't be discounted either...everyone knows they aren't going anywhere. Saban will be 67 YO and is not one of those coaches like Bear, Snyder, Bowden, Joepa that will coach until life isn't really worth living anymore.

heard from a number of people that his plan is to see that monster 2017 class (tua, najee, smith, jeudy, etc) through to completion then head to the lake.

it also really hurt to pull guys from NFL like Daboll and Dunbar that might know X's and O's but are shit recruiters that did absolutely nothing. i think the staff in place today will be excellent recruiters for 2019 but this season, 2018, was the perfect storm for a down Bama recruiting year

two left, ITS and Waddle

Same predictions but from the head of Rivals recruiting:
    ITS = USCw
    Waddle = aTm
    Campbell = UGA
    Griffin = USCw
    Ross = Bama
    NPF = Florida
    Surtain = LSU

and Athlon:

ITS = USCw
    Waddle = aTm
    Campbell = UGA
    Griffin = Tennessee
    Ross = none given
    NPF = Florida
    Surtain = LSU

the experts went 2-4 and 3-4 today....

#8 Patrick Surtain Jr = Bama (Really thought he was all Bama until a recent wave of LSU but I think Bama gets him in the end. We haven't lost too many recent battles with LSU but i don't have this higher than 55% for Bama so could switch
    the non-expert went 6-1

it also really hurt to pull guys from NFL like Daboll and Dunbar that might know X's and O's but are shit recruiters that did absolutely nothing. i think the staff in place today will be excellent recruiters for 2019 but this season, 2018, was the perfect storm for a down Bama recruiting year
    came out today from Langham (4-star DL that went to Fla) that Dunbar skipped a recent in-house visit with him...no call, nothing. dude lives 150 miles from Tuscaloosa and Dunbar blew him off. Mullen not only visited him in house 2 weeks ago (>500 miles from Gainesville) but brought the DC, DL coach, LB coach, and WR coach with him.

THAT is how you recruit! Dunbar can go fuck back off to the shitty NFL teams that he came from

Dunbar can go fuck back off to the shitty NFL teams that he came from
    looks like my wish will come true as Dunbar should be signing with the Steelers this week. Glad we kept him around for the past month to bring in no recruits and leave us stranded at the DL spot. don't let that door kick you in the ass Karl