Forum: College Football Forum - Sponsored by:

Thread: Signing Day thread

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Signing Day thread 
    113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    Wed Feb 7 is signing day. While the majority of HS seniors signed in December a ton of high-end recruits are still in play....30 of 247's top 100 consensus recruits are available.

For some reason the "Bama assistants" thread got closed (???) but to answer the final question posted.... yes, I think Bama will definitely get either Surtain (call it 80%) or Taylor-Stuart (75%) and lesser chance at Campbell (25%). I would be very surprised if we missed on all 3 plus I think we will pull Eddie Smith

two months ago i would have said at offensive line that both Sewell and Petit-Frere were Ttown bound but outside looking in right now. Still hopeful we get one of them but Sewell seems Eugene-bound now that Cristobal is HC. I'd give Petit-Frere 40% shot for Bama so still in the game for sure

Ross and Waddle at WR same boat ... 2 months ago I'd have said 80% Ross and 75% Waddle but Ross trending away from Bama and Waddle's aTm recruitment renewed with Jimbo

Bama with A LOT of work to do for a top 5 class in 2018 after posting a series of 1-2 finishes including insane class of 2017

Campbell is UGA bound.
    Donít drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!

Last weekend was massive recruiting weekend for the Tide as they got a lot of top uncommitted boys on campus and sat them in the front row of the Tide's National Title Parade with guys like Bozeman on stage talking to them directly. No player that has committed to Saban at Alabama, and stayed for 3 years, has left campus without a national championship ring....

Some of the fellas on campus last weekend inclue CB Surtain, CB Campbell, S Irvin and a couple other big defensive back targets, Taylor-Stuart and Smith, will be in Ttown this coming week.

Tenn commit, JJ Peterson, was on campus as well last weekend giving the Tide one last shot at getting him to switch off of Pruitt.

QB Foster and WR Ross were also here along with 5-star OT Petit-Frere. A bunch of of the 2018 class December commits were here to celebrate the championship of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    Campbell is UGA bound.
    when you give up 26 points in a half to that dogshit (ha ha ha...love it) Tide offense with a 2nd string QB you definitely need him ;)

Campbell was at Athens 2 weeks ago, Tuscaloosa last weekend, and will give the Canes one more look before NSD

RX SemiGod
    I'm not a Tennessee fan by any means but I do like their new coach. After a late
    start, here are some particulars on recruiting. At last count, the Vols had six 4 stars
    and 12 three stars commits.

Position breakdown: QB 1, RB 2, TE 2, WR 1, OL 4, DL 5, LB 2, K 1
    Geographical breakdown: TN 9, Cal 3, GA 2, Penn 1, AL 1, FL 1, SC 1
    Offers by number: Reported offers 450, 5 star offers 21, 4 star offers 194, In state 26,
    FL 90, GA 60, TX 5

I give Pruitt a pass for this year's class but he will have to recruit at a higher level in the
    future to compete with Alabama or Georgia. Guess you could add Texas A&M with Jimbo
    on board and LSU who always recruits well.

RX Wizard
    As a UF fan/follower/grad, I'm obviously following their recruiting w/ Mullen at the helm.

I'm curious to see how the "transition" classes finish at UF, FSU, A&M, and Tenn.

UF landed a very good QB, but the class is weak at OL, DL, and LB. And all of us know those are the biggest areas of need if you want to compete in the SEC....and nationally. I'm keeping my fingers crossed UF can pull a couple more OL's and land 3-4 DL's/LB's to finish the class.

I read a stat that generally around 2800 kids sign D1 scholarships annually....and over 2000 signed in the early signing period. Meaning, there's only around 750-800 D1 level players still available for the later signing period.

Schools like UGA, who signed 22, are able to sign the "best available" players....and focus on their 2019, 2020 classes. Meanwhile, schools like UF, who only signed 13 are still trying to fill their 2018 class.

RX SemiGod
    Amazing how this recruiting is the lynch-pin of college football today. That Florida QB recruit is a step in the right direction for the program but having a "gun-slinging" QB isn't the only ingredient necessary to win championships especially with 13 & 14 game schedules (with play-offs and bowls) in a conference like the SEC.

RX SemiGod
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack Donald View Post
    Amazing how this recruiting is the lynch-pin of college football today. That Florida QB recruit is a step in the right direction for the program but having a "gun-slinging" QB isn't the only ingredient necessary to win championships especially with 13 & 14 game schedules (with play-offs and bowls) in a conference like the SEC.
    Mack, the new Florida coach is going to have to recruit better players than he did at Mississippi State or he
    will be in trouble in three years. He could win 7 or 8 games a season at MSU but that won't do with the Gators.

247Sports list SEC recruiting nationally as of today.

1. Georgia (6 five stars on board)
    5. Alabama (probably finish in top 3)
    10. Auburn
    12. LSU
    15. Florida (see CoachCB post above)
    17. Tennessee
    18. South Carolina
    28. Mississippi State (chance to be a good team this season even with new coach)
    30. Texas A&M (Jimbo off to slow start)
    33. Kentucky
    36. Vanderbilt
    38. Ole Miss (had some key players transfer)
    43. Missouri
    67. Arkansas (new coach has a mess on his hands)

Kirby will not let up in the SEC East so other teams in the division better improve recruiting
    or they will be sucking air for years to come.

RX SemiGod
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    Mack, the new Florida coach is going to have to recruit better players than he did at Mississippi State or he
    will be in trouble in three years. He could win 7 or 8 games a season at MSU but that won't do with the Gators.

247Sports list SEC recruiting nationally as of today.

1. Georgia (6 five stars on board)
    5. Alabama (probably finish in top 3)
    10. Auburn
    12. LSU
    15. Florida (see CoachCB post above)
    17. Tennessee
    18. South Carolina
    28. Mississippi State (chance to be a good team this season even with new coach)
    30. Texas A&M (Jimbo off to slow start)
    33. Kentucky
    36. Vanderbilt
    38. Ole Miss (had some key players transfer)
    43. Missouri
    67. Arkansas (new coach has a mess on his hands)

Kirby will not let up in the SEC East so other teams in the division better improve recruiting
    or they will be sucking air for years to come.
    I agree 100% Clover; Trying to make a living as a head-football coach in the SEC is a hard road to travel; If it wasn't for the pay, even for the losers, I would suggest they think twice before taking on the job......The Southeastern Conference is brutal..... McElwain wins two back-to-back SEC-(East) titles and still gets run out of town.

RX Wizard
    GA with a total of 6 ,,,5 star recruits is crazy. I wonder if that's the most ever in a single class

RX SemiGod
    Quote Originally Posted by pathologist View Post
    GA with a total of 6 ,,,5 star recruits is crazy. I wonder if that's the most ever in a single class
    I hope they all play in different positions.....How many high-quality recruits can a roster absorb ......There is only so much playing time.....

Quote Originally Posted by pathologist View Post
    pretty normal number for a #1 class. Bama was #1 for last 5 years and signed 27 5-stars from 2013-2017 so just a bit more than 5/class

the ridiculous Bama 2017 class had 7 5-stars and 2016 class had 5 as well ... 2014 class had 6

right now UGA has 7 on rivals (which is the only true recruiting source) ... if they add an 8th like Campbell that will probably be the new record assuming all 8 commits keep their 5-star status. Absolutely ridiculous recruiting that Kirby and crew have going right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack Donald View Post
    I hope they all play in different positions.....How many high-quality recruits can a roster absorb ......There is only so much playing time.....
    total fallacy about playing time which is why you saw Bama with 5 true freshman playing in 2nd half vs UGA in the national championship game including the guy that caught the winning pass and qb that threw it. Any school that tries to recruit against Bama on the "playing time" premise gets that completely shut down and actually hurt themselves because these kids walk away from that program thinking they're assholes. If you're good enough, you play. If not (BJ Emmons for example) you transfer

in addition to the 5 offensive freshman leading the comeback you had plenty on the other side of the ball (ray, moses, etc) that were big contributors during the 2017 season. And it wasn't a one-year anomaly as Bama's 2016 team's freshman had the 7th most snaps in NCAA football led by Hurts (QB), Jonah (RT), and Jacobs (RB).

RX SemiGod
    Bullshit RT..."Rivals is the only true recruiting service". Years ago I would agree but not now.
    Rivals is owned by Yahoo who produces the most liberal crap anyone can stomach.

247Sports is who I trust now. They are owned by CBS Sports which also includes Scout.com.
    and several services. Go to Scout and it will give you 247Sports.

College coaches no longer rely on once reliable Rivals. Most and I mean most prefer 247Sports
    for reliable recruiting news, especially southern schools.

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    when you give up 26 points in a half to that dogshit (ha ha ha...love it) Tide offense with a 2nd string QB you definitely need him ;)

Campbell was at Athens 2 weeks ago, Tuscaloosa last weekend, and will give the Canes one more look before NSD
    Lol.....you got me.....I am guessing Saban thought the same and made a move.
    Donít drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!

Kirby has a huge advantage being the only trick in a talent rich state. Keeping talent here is something Richt couldnt do.

I just hope they pay Dell and Pittman.
    Donít drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!

I would think the composite ranking is the gold standard now.
    Donít drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!

RX SemiGod
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    Kirby has a huge advantage being the only trick in a talent rich state. Keeping talent here is something Richt couldnt do.

I just hope they pay Dell and Pittman.
    Well, I agree Smart vs GT's Johnson is a mismatch. However, every other top school in America is recruiting Georgia. Smart is strong
    and if he can control the Peach State...he will have some really good players for years to come.

Kirby KNOWS the importance of recruiting.....guess why?

Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    Bullshit RT..."Rivals is the only true recruiting service". Years ago I would agree but not now.
    Rivals is owned by Yahoo who produces the most liberal crap anyone can stomach.

247Sports is who I trust now. They are owned by CBS Sports which also includes Scout.com.
    and several services. Go to Scout and it will give you 247Sports.

College coaches no longer rely on once reliable Rivals. Most and I mean most prefer 247Sports
    for reliable recruiting news, especially southern schools.
    scout was garbage for 10 years until they hired ex-rivals guys to retool their program a few years ago. espn recruiting is a total joke...they have as many guys working on cfb recruiting as rivals has for texas tech

the difference is that rivals puts more weight on camps, some of which they run and have nearly exclusive access to, and rivals only ranks the top 20 commits for each team's ranking. 247 is very good, no doubt, but mostly because their interface is set up better. Its much easier to navigate and far more user-friendly but if I am buying a subscription to one site it's an obvious choice for me...rivals

with the rivals/247 merger a few months ago they will lean more heavily to scout ratings which have historically been total and complete garbage. too bad as the straight "composite" ratings held some value.

i used to subscribe to scout and then all their top guys departed because they suck and i went to rivals in 2007. obviously i'm biased for rivals, and against scout, but i've paid them both and know who is stronger and who allocates more resources and produces better information and ratings. 247 did themselves a disservice buying scout

247 is absolutely the most user-friendly site but i prefer accuracy

RX SemiGod
    I never cease to be amazed as to how knowledgeable several contributors to the Rx College football forum are when it comes to recruiting information especially in the Southeastern Conference. I have to believe that they (guys like Cloverleaf, Roll Tide, CoachCB & Albatross to mention a few). have other sources and pipe-lines
    that give "insider" information that may dig-in deeper then the conventional sources that are available to the general public (i.e. Composite, 247, scout, Rivals et al).

I do know that the NCAA has hard and fast rules that all schools must adhere to when it comes to recruiting but I have to believe there is some subtle (hidden skullduggery) that goes on when several schools are coveting a particular highly touted H.S. recruit, It has to be more than, who has the best looking girls on campus. Is there any way that ($) enters the picture that gets passed-on to a recruit undetected ?

RX Wizard
    247 is definitely the easiest to go to for recruiting, but I do agree that Rivals is the gold-standard. The composite is nice to see as an average, but at the end of the day Rivals is still the best overall when it comes to rankings.

CL, I agree that Mullen will have to step up his game. He seems to be doing that (they visited and offered the #1 recruit in next years class on Monday, a DE from California). I doubt he lands him, but this is definitely something he wouldn't have wasted his time doing at MSU. There's a 247 story about Mullen making a priority in taking back the state, which is something McElwain's lazy ass gave up.

For UF, A&M, FSU, Tennessee, and the other schools w/ new coaches this year is a "transition" year and transition classes are rarely "great" (although Kirby did well w/ his first class). I'm holding judgement on Mullen until the 2019 class signs.

RX SemiGod
    Coach, one thing going for Mullen is he has a history of developing quarterbacks when you consider
    Alex Smith at Utah, Tim Tebow with Florida and Dak Prescott and Nick Fitzgerald at Mississippi State.
    Getting incoming freshman Emory Jones to flip from Ohio State was a plus. I wouldn't be surprised
    if he's not the Gator starting QB by the second game.

RX Member
    The only thing i dont like about the "star system" is that certain players get ranked based on what schools are interested in them. If Joe Schmo was a 2-3 star player and its found out that Alabama has interest in him, then Joe Schmo would then be upgraded to a 3-4 star player.

I think i've read that only 1 5 star player has ever gone G5. That is the DL who currently plays for Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrofins View Post
    The only thing i dont like about the "star system" is that certain players get ranked based on what schools are interested in them. If Joe Schmo was a 2-3 star player and its found out that Alabama has interest in him, then Joe Schmo would then be upgraded to a 3-4 star player.

I think i've read that only 1 5 star player has ever gone G5. That is the DL who currently plays for Houston
    depends on the service...what you're describing is what scout and espn have always done. if bama is sniffing around they automatically go from no stars to 3 stars

rivals has a 2-star minimum for offer so if a kid goes from no offers to a D1 offer he gets at least 2 stars.

what people don't like about Rivals is that they run many camps so are basing ratings more on camp production than on game production. My guess is that once 247/scout/espn gets into the camp game themselves they will also grade more heavily on camps and less on what schools offer which kid. It's much easier, and more relevant, to rate a player against his peers in a camp than it is against how they are producing in Texas 6A games vs Ohio 6A games.

yeah other than Oliver I can't remember a really highly rated kid go outside the power-5 but, then again, why would they? That's like saying you don't know anyone that really loves a high-end filet eat at Outback.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachCB View Post
    247 is definitely the easiest to go to for recruiting, but I do agree that Rivals is the gold-standard. The composite is nice to see as an average, but at the end of the day Rivals is still the best overall when it comes to rankings.

CL, I agree that Mullen will have to step up his game. He seems to be doing that (they visited and offered the #1 recruit in next years class on Monday, a DE from California). I doubt he lands him, but this is definitely something he wouldn't have wasted his time doing at MSU. There's a 247 story about Mullen making a priority in taking back the state, which is something McElwain's lazy ass gave up.

For UF, A&M, FSU, Tennessee, and the other schools w/ new coaches this year is a "transition" year and transition classes are rarely "great" (although Kirby did well w/ his first class). I'm holding judgement on Mullen until the 2019 class signs.
    well if Bama's interest holds any weight for you i can tell you they had Emory Jones as the highest rated QB on the board

certainly the prevailing theme is that Lawrence and Fields are can't-miss prospects but Bama absolutely loved Jones and had him rated at the top.

not that CNS' track record of QB recruiting is spectacular (only coached one 1R qb in his career, Jamarcus Russell) but you should be pretty excited about Jones

RX Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    depends on the service...what you're describing is what scout and espn have always done. if bama is sniffing around they automatically go from no stars to 3 stars

rivals has a 2-star minimum for offer so if a kid goes from no offers to a D1 offer he gets at least 2 stars.

what people don't like about Rivals is that they run many camps so are basing ratings more on camp production than on game production. My guess is that once 247/scout/espn gets into the camp game themselves they will also grade more heavily on camps and less on what schools offer which kid. It's much easier, and more relevant, to rate a player against his peers in a camp than it is against how they are producing in Texas 6A games vs Ohio 6A games.

yeah other than Oliver I can't remember a really highly rated kid go outside the power-5 but, then again, why would they? That's like saying you don't know anyone that really loves a high-end filet eat at Outback.
    Understood about the 5 star guy going G5. If i'm a 5 star recruit, i'm going to a "bigger" school as well. The best way a G5 school to get a top guy is that if that player transfers from a big school or it that 5 star player had to go JUCO b/c of grades.

I always like to look at the espn 300 many years later and see where those players end up. I've seen in many cases the #1 overall high school guy get drafted into the NFL even though he was just "ok" in college (RIP Joe McKnight)