Giant Killers: Which teams can pull off an upset ?

Search
Tokens

• John Gasaway
  • Seth Walder

Giant Killers is back for our 13th annual metrics-based forecast of big upsets in the NCAA tournament. As usual, we're analyzing each Giant vs. Killer game in the first round. (Quick reminder. A Giant Killer is any team that defeats an opponent seeded at least five lines higher in any round.)

Our statistical model yields an upset probability for each game, based on both the BPI of each team and on the stylistic factors that have most often led to tournament upsets in the past. As always, we've sorted our picks into four categories based on the likelihood of an upset: Best Bets, Worth a Long Look, Not Completely Crazy and Stay Away. (Those titles should be self-explanatory.)

Got that? Now, let's get to the good stuff. Here are the upsets in the making:

South Region

Best bets

i
i

No. 6 Miami Hurricanes vs. No. 11 Loyola-Chicago Ramblers
Upset chance: 46.5 percent

Let's not mince words, because this game represents the best Giant Killers upset chance in either the South or East Regions. Porter Moser has a defense that can more than hold its own against a whole host of major-conference opponents, up to and including Miami. Donte Ingram, Cameron Krutwig and company force misses on both sides of the arc and take care of business on the defensive glass. Most of all, they do all of the above without fouling.

Then again, even a strong Ramblers D figures to be tested by potential 2018 lottery pick Lonnie Walker IV, Ja'Quan Newton and Chris Lykes. Losing Bruce Brown for the season to a foot injury hasn't had much impact on a Hurricanes offense that is both consistent and effective, particularly inside the arc.

Speaking of inside the arc, that's where Miami is most vulnerable defensively. Jim Larranaga's team allowed ACC opponents to make 54 percent or more of their 2s. If Krutwig, Clayton Custer and Marques Townes can get to the rim against the Canes, Loyola could record its first NCAA tournament win since 1985.

i
i

No. 5 Kentucky Wildcats vs. No. 12 Davidson Wildcats
Upset chance: 31.7 percent

John Calipari will likely say very flattering and utterly accurate things about his team's upcoming opponent this week, and then he might state that he's somewhat concerned about how his young team will respond. Well, such sentiments would not be mere coachspeak.

Davidson is indeed led by something called a "senior" (Peyton Aldridge), and Bob McKillop's team did just knock off a ranked opponent (Rhode Island) on a neutral floor. At 6-foot-8, Aldridge is equally adept at scoring at a high volume from either side of the arc, and, as a team, newly decelerated Davidson is outstanding at generating a high number of shot attempts (thanks chiefly to a ridiculously low turnover rate).

So, yes, Kentucky's outstanding statistical perimeter defense is about to be tested. UK held SEC opponents to just 28 percent shooting on their 3s during conference play, and Davidson, of course, loves to launch shots from beyond the arc. The Wildcats will need to drain some of those makes, because Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and his teammates are now slicing through opposing defenses like a buzz saw.

Not completely crazy
i
i

No. 4 Arizona Wildcats vs. No 13 Buffalo Bulls
Upset chance: 11.6 percent

CJ Massinburg and Nick Perkins just make shots for Buffalo head coach Nate Oats, and that's exactly what they'll need to do against Arizona. The good news for fans pulling for an upset is that this Wildcats defense is the most permissive unit Sean Miller has had in years. You wouldn't think a defense anchored by 7-foot-1 generational phenomenon Deandre Ayton and fellow 7-footer Dusan Ristic would allow many scoring chances, but Arizona actually allowed the Pac-12 to convert a surprisingly normal 48 percent of its 2-point tries.

So, sure, maybe there's a chance. Then again, the bad news for fans pulling for an upset is that Arizona has this fiendishly complex offensive scheme called "throw the ball near the rim and let Ayton dunk it." It is highly effective in major-conference competition, and it is likely it could be even more so against a Bulls rotation that often has no one taller than 6-8 on the floor. This is an outstanding Arizona offense, and Buffalo will need to do everything in its power to keep this one close.

i
i

No. 3 Tennessee Volunteers vs. No. 14 Wright State Raiders
Upset chance: 10.6 percent

This isn't often the case in 3 vs. 14 contests, but the lower seed is going to have the largest person on the court in this game. Listed at 6-foot-9 and 275 pounds, Loudon Love will present a formidable challenge for the Tennessee defense. The Wright State freshman is Scott Nagy's featured scorer, and he gets that job done exclusively inside the arc. Love is also one of the country's better all-around rebounders. He will be heard from, even against a No. 3 seed.

Still, that No. 3 seed has a good deal of depth and scoring to throw at the Raiders. Tennessee head coach Rick Barnes has no fewer than five players shooting better than 38 percent on their 3s for the season (Lamonte Turner, Admiral Schofield, Jordan Bowden, James Daniel III and Jordan Bone). Then there's Grant Williams, and he's pretty good at what he does, too. Even a player who looms as large as Love is going to face a big challenge against the Vols.

Tokens
Stay away
i
i
No. 2 Cincinnati Bearcats vs. No. 15 Georgia State Panthers
Upset chance: 3.3 percent

D'Marcus Simonds is a 6-foot-3 point guard who excels at getting to the line and who posted one of the country's highest numbers for possession usage as a sophomore. He and the rest of the Panthers are going to have their work cut out for them against what might be the best Cincinnati team of head coach Mick Cronin's tenure.

The Bearcats have one of the better defenses Division I has seen in the past few years, and Gary Clark is putting together an all-around season for the ages on both sides of the ball. Cronin hasn't always had the luxury of getting good, or even occasionally great, offense from the same players who give him outstanding D, but that's the feat he has somehow pulled off in 2018. It's going to take a higher seed than a No. 15 to stop UC.

i
i
No. 1 Virginia Cavaliers vs. No. 16 UMBC Retrievers
Upset chance: 2.6 percent

Ryan Odom's Retrievers pulled off a major upset over heavy favorite Vermont in the America East tournament title game to merely get this far. Now, UMBC faces Virginia. Go strong, Retrievers. History has to happen in these 1 vs.16 games someday. (But you, fair reader, would do best to stay away.)

Tokens
East Region

Best bets

i
i
No. 6 Florida Gators vs. No. 11 UCLA Bruins
Upset chance: 32.2 percent

If UCLA survives a play-in game against St. Bonaventure and makes it as far as playing the Gators, you're looking at roughly a 1-in-3 chance of the "Giant" falling in this contest. No, the program that has won more national titles than any other is not what we here at Giant Killers commonly regard as a "Killer." Nevertheless, in 2018 we are confronted with a double-digit seed clad in UCLA uniforms. So, this is what that matchup looks like:

The main threat to this 11-over-6 upset is simply the likelihood that Steve Alford's defense could drown in all the shot attempts being recorded by Florida. The Bruins force an exceptionally low number of turnovers, and, conversely, UF takes outstanding care of the ball. (Take a bow, Chris Chiozza.) Those are the dynamics that lead you to look up midway through the second half and find that the opponent has a double-digit lead despite the fact that they're not shooting all that well.

To counteract this danger, Alford has one of the nation's best players in Aaron Holiday. Think of Holiday as the Trae Young of February and March so far. In Pac-12 play, the 6-foot-1 junior knocked down 51 percent of his 3s. Maybe we'll get to see what Holiday can do on the sport's biggest stage, but first the Bruins must simply make it past the Bonnies in Dayton.

i
i

No. 5 West Virginia Mountaineers vs. No. 12 Murray State Racers
Upset chance: 32.2 percent

The Racers are one tough No. 12 seed. Start with the obvious point: Matt McMahon's team hasn't lost a game since late January. Over the past seven weeks, Murray State has reeled off 13 straight victories, including a convincing 17-point win over rival Belmont in the OVC tournament title game.

McMahon runs a system in which point guards are plural and turnovers are few. Ja Morant and Jonathan Stark both boast healthy assist rates, and the freshman-senior duo also excels at creating points by driving the ball to the rim. This will be a difficult team to harass into a conventional "Press Virginia" opponent collapse.

Of course, the Mountaineers have shown on multiple occasions that they can win games without necessarily forcing a large number of turnovers. With outstanding veterans such as Jevon Carter and Daxter Miles holding on to the rock, West Virginia simply gets more chances to score than opponents. Not to mention Sagaba Konate will be more than happy to meet Morant and Stark on all those drives to the tin. This should be an excellent 5-12 game, and the Racers, while clearly the underdog, will have a shot.

i
i

No. 6 Florida Gators vs. No. 11 St. Bonaventure Bonnies
Upset chance: 32.0 percent

We've looked at what could happen if UCLA plays Florida. Now, let's consider the alternate scenario in which the Bruins lose in Dayton to St. Bonaventure and the Bonnies play the Gators.

In that case, well, you're looking at almost the exact same upset probability. (Meaning it should be a pretty close game, all other things being equal, between UCLA and SBU.) Mark Schmidt happens to have one of the better backcourts in the entire country in Matt Mobley and Jaylen Adams. Both seniors hit their 3s, both are deadly at the line and Adams additionally is a distributor par excellence. Can Mike White's defense contain these guys? Probably -- as long as the Gators also keep LaDarien Griffin off the offensive glass.

Florida has understandably confused more than one observer this season - and not only with what seemed to be inconsistent play. The Gators are the rare team that plays excellent defense at the rim but is far below average in terms of grabbing rebounds. That still nets out to a good defense overall and one that should get the job done against St. Bonaventure, but this will likely be a close game.

Stay away

i
i

No. 3 Texas Tech Red Raiders vs. No. 14 Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
Upset chance: 5.1 percent

No more Thomas Walkup -- there's a new breed of Lumberjack in Nacogdoches, and where Kyle Keller's men really excel is on defense. TJ Holyfield is a very good rim defender, Leon Gilmore takes care of business on the defensive glass and, as Chris Beard will be repeatedly telling his team all week, SFA recorded the highest opponent turnover percentage in Division I this season. The Red Raiders will have to be strong with the ball.
If you want to build scenarios for a shocking upset just a little longer, it's true that Texas Tech was surprisingly so-so in Big 12 play this season in terms of turnover rate. Surprising because the point guard is Keenan Evans, and he is outstanding. There's a chance Evans' teammates might commit a miscue or two against the Lumberjacks' defense, but the Raiders figure to win this game going the other way. Beard's defense is among the nation's best, and the Jacks (well this is ironic) have definite turnover issues of their own.

i
i

No. 4 Wichita State Shockers vs. No. 13 Marshall Thundering Herd
Upset chance: 4.4 percent

Marshall is here as a No. 13 seed, but give Dan D'Antoni's team this: All season long, everyone was talking about Middle Tennessee, and all the Thundering Herd did was go 2-0 against the Blue Raiders. The Herd played their way here.
Yes, but now their opponent is Wichita State. (Congratulations, Gregg Marshall, on the correct seed. Feels good, right?) The Shockers possess possibly one of the five best offenses in the country, and the Herd would not appear to be equipped to overcome that type of challenge. That being said, D'Antoni's guys will score their points, too. Should be fun.

i
i

No. 2 Purdue Boilermakers vs. No. 15 Cal State Fullerton Titans
Upset chance: 2.4 percent

This is a 2 vs. 15 game with an upset probability much closer to that of a traditional 1 vs. 16 contest. The Titans are one of the most interior-oriented offenses in the entire field of 68, and Jackson Rowe in particular knows how to score points inside the arc.
Nevertheless, Purdue is a group that for a fair portion of the season was being projected as a No. 1 seed. The Boilermakers will be ready for Dedrique Taylor's team.

i

No. 1 Villanova Wildcats vs. No. 16 LIU Brooklyn Blackbirdsor No. 16 Radford Highlanders
Upset chance: 1.4 percent (LIU) or 1.5 percent (Radford)

At Giant Killers, we never say never, and we're not saying it now. But these are very small upset chances. If you're shopping for a 16-over-1 upset, you are in the wrong part of the bracket here.

Tokens
Midwest Region

Best bets
i
i
No. 6 TCU Horned Frogs vs. No. 11 Arizona State Sun Devils
Upset chance: 40.8 percent

Just because Arizona State (probably) didn't deserve a bid (the Sun Devils were ranked 68th in strength of record, the third-worst by an at-large team since 2008), that doesn't mean it can't win a game. After all, résumé and team quality are completely different things. If Arizona State wins its play-in against Syracuse, it gets a matchup bonus against TCU thanks in large part to an edge in the turnover battle. The Horned Frogs lost point guard Jaylen Fisher to a season-ending injury partway through the season, and Alex Robinson, his replacement, turns the ball over more than Fisher did. The Sun Devils also receive a small benefit from better free throw shooting.

i
i
No. 6 TCU vs. No. 11 Syracuse Orange
Upset chance: 36.1 percent

If Syracuse -- which also miraculously made the tournament without accomplishing enough to likely deserve a spot -- is going to beat TCU, it will be on the back of what BPI considers the eighth-best defense in Division I. The model doesn't consider scheme, so Syracuse fans will be happy to hear this: TCU's offense ranked in the 95th percentile in half-court offense against man this season, but in only the 84th percentile against zone, per Synergy Sports. The Orange ran zone 94 percent of the time this season. They have slightly superior ball control and free throw shooting, and so they earn a plus-3 percent GK Factor against the Horned Frogs.

Not completely crazy

i
i
No. 4 Auburn Tigers vs. No. 13 Charleston Cougars
Upset chance: 13.8 percent

There was a time when Auburn looked like it was destined for a No. 2 seed, but a late-season cold streak means the Tigers ultimately ended up with a more appropriate seed for the quality of their team. Charleston gets a minor GK Factor of plus-1 percent thanks to superior 2-point efficiency (though Auburn has the rebounding advantage). If Charleston can attack Auburn in transition, it could go a long way for its odds: The Cougars rank in the 92nd percentile for transition offense, while Auburn's defense ranks in the 26th percentile, per Synergy Sports (though those numbers are not opponent-adjusted).

Stay away

i
i

No. 3 Michigan State Spartans vs. No. 14 Bucknell Bison
Upset chance: 9.1 percent

The criminally underseeded Spartans were going to be a tough opponent for any No. 14 seed. Michigan State has had the eighth-most-efficient opponent-adjusted offense and defense thus far this season. One look at these two teams suggests that the Spartans should dominate the boards against this Patriot League underdog. The one area in which the Bison have an edge is ball security, but that almost certainly will not be enough to combat the future first-round star power of Miles Bridges and Jaren Jackson. That the game will being played in Detroit -- a consideration in BPI's base prediction -- only helps the Spartans further.

i
i

No. 1 Kansas Jayhawks vs. No 16 Pennsylvania Quakers
Upset chance: 8.4 percent
We're not saying Penn could really beat Kansas ... but we're not not saying it. This is a much better chance than a No. 16 seed normally has against a No. 1 seed. The reason? The Quakers are underseeded and the Jayhawks are overseeded. Kansas is BPI's eighth-best team in the field, while Pennsylvania is the 60th-best team. In other words: Treat this like a No. 15 vs. a No. 2: unlikely but not impossible. There is nothing about the style of these two teams that moves the needle much either way off the BPI prediction, but as we've written about before, Kansas' lack of depth -- especially in its front court -- means foul trouble is permanently a threat to the Jayhawks.

i
i

No. 5 Clemson Tigers vs. No. 12 New Mexico State Aggies
Upset chance: 6.9 percent

This matchup is pure terror for the Aggies. Despite landing the notorious No. 12 seed, the Aggies drew a tough opponent in Clemson that is made more difficult by a GK Factor of minus-16 percent in accounting for each team's strengths and weaknesses. The biggest problem for the Aggies is their miserable free throw shooting. They shoot 64.3 percent from the stripe, per KenPom, which is the 10th-worst rate in all of Division I and more than 11 percent worse than the Tigers.

i
i

No. 2 Duke Blue Devils vs. No. 15 Iona Gaels
Upset chance: 2.9 percent

This one is a no contest. Marvin Bagley III and Wendell Carter Jr. should completely control the glass, and Duke should have a significant edge in its scoring efficiency. That's a lethal combination the Gaels won't be able to overcome. In the end, the Blue Devils will obliterate the MAAC's representative.

Tokens
West Region

Best bets
i
i
No. 6 Houston Cougars vs. No. 11 San Diego State Aztecs
Upset chance: 38.0 percent

If you're surprised to see San Diego State with this much of a chance to win a game, you're not alone. The Aztecs weren't expected to be NCAA tournament contenders until they went on a conference tournament run and beat Nevada and then New Mexico to earn a berth. Though they haven't accomplished as much as some of the bubble teams, in terms of overall team strength going forward, BPI considers the Aztecs to be about as good as Syracuse and Loyola-Chicago thanks mostly to their defense. Meanwhile, Houston, which is led by senior point guard Rob Gray, proved over the course of the season that it could make some noise in the tournament. Unfortunately for the Cougars, they drew a sneaky-tough No. 11 seed to kick off the Dance.

Worth a long look

i
i
No. 5 Ohio State Buckeyes vs. No 12 South Dakota State Jackrabbits
Upset chance: 25.2 percent

Some will consider South Dakota State in this spot because of Ohio State's late-season swoon, in which the Buckeyes lost three of their last five and barely squeaked by Indiana. Folks are right to ponder the Jackrabbits, but not because the Buckeyes lost down the stretch to Michigan once and Penn State twice (the Nittany Lions are better than you think). Instead, it's because of the Jackrabbits' ability to hit 3-pointers, which they do at an efficient 40.3 percent clip (13th-best in Division I) and which account for 37.5 percent of their points. It starts with extremely high-usage big man Mike Daum, who is hitting his shots from beyond the arc 42.3 percent of the time, but he isn't alone in being able to launch from long range.

Stay away

i
i
No. 13 UNC Greensboro Spartans vs. No. 4 Gonzaga Bulldogs
Upset chance: 5.8 percent

A year after its run to the title game, Gonzaga was handed a virtual cakewalk in the round of 64 despite being only a No. 4 seed. It has a height advantage -- the Bulldogs rank 14th in Division I in KenPom's minute-weighted average height, while Greensboro ranks 121st -- and so unsurprisingly, the Bulldogs have a dramatic advantage in opponent-adjusted 2-point field goal percentage. Add in better free throw shooting and defensive rebounding from Gonzaga and we end up with Greensboro's GK Factor of minus-6.4 percent.

i
i
No. 3 Michigan Wolverines vs. No. 14 Montana Grizzlies
Upset chance: 5.7 percent

The red-hot Wolverines should roll into the round of 32 with no problem against a Grizzlies team that just isn't on the same level. Moritz Wagner and company have the edge in scoring down low on Montana and shooting from outside, and that contributed to Montana's minus-4.8 percent GK Factor in this long-shot matchup.

i
i
<article class="ad-300" style="box-sizing: border-box; clear: both; overflow: hidden; position: relative; z-index: 1000026; margin: 0px 0px 10px 10px; float: right; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif; font-size: 16px;">

</article>No. 2 North Carolina Tar Heels vs. No. 15 Lipscomb Bisons
Upset chance:4.8 percent

Maybe Lipscomb's lightning-fast pace (fourth-quickest in Division I) will be a shock to the system for UNC after the Tar Heels played the slowest team in the nation (Virginia) on Saturday night, but conventional wisdom is that the added possessions should result in less variance, which isn't a good sign for the Bisons. Go ahead and pencil in Roy Williams' Heels.

i
No. 1 Xavier Musketeers vs. No. 16s North Carolina Central Eagles or Texas Southern Tigers
Texas Southern upset chance: 3.0 percent

North Carolina Central upset chance: 1.1 percent

In terms of team quality, Xavier isn't nearly the caliber we would expect of a No. 1 seed (it's more the speed of a No. 3 or No. 4, honestly). But the Musketeers' problems won't begin against either of these two teams. Texas Southern, which gets to the line a lot and holds a tiny free throw advantage over Xavier, is slightly more difficult, but this should be no problem either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnthonyPoi
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com