"Paterno"

Search

Tokens
HBO...Saturday, April 7 at 8 PM...

Who's watching it...

Academy Award and Emmy Award winner Al Pacino stars...

Tokens
Pedophile king!!!

Did Hollywood try to paint him in a good light? That the goal of the show? Probably.

Keep us updated.

Tokens
Think Brucefan has a few of the kids in the neighborhood coming to watch Lol

Tokens
JoePa was a good guy, he just fucked up with Sandusky.

BruceFan can tell us all about it...

Tokens
if belichik / sandusky linebacker camp era committed , i am out

Tokens
i understand why shelter and ian rapp won't touch it .. but hbo sports too?

I like money
Handicapper
Tokens
1-paterno_072417_an_0738.jpg
Atsushi Nishijima/HBO

In the final act of “Paterno,” HBO’s crackling examination of the Penn State football coach’s legacy-defining final days, there’s a pivotal scene that draws you in only to smack you in the face for your misplaced compassion. Delivered a letter with a phone number inside, Joe Paterno (Al Pacino) shuffles down the hallway toward his bedroom and dials his portable landline. He lifts the receiver to his ear, says his name, listens briefly and then hangs up. “They fired me,” he says to his wife, Sue (Kathy Baker).
Joe, wearing his blue pajama bottoms, keeps walking, but Sue stops him in the bedroom and takes the phone. His hand dangles, unmoved from when it was still holding the receiver, as she redials the number and says, “After 61 years, he deserved better.” Paterno in this moment is a pathetic figure so far removed from the legend he built himself into that his wife is the only one fighting back. He walks to the bed, sits down, and sighs. It’s not a deep sigh; more like a thoughtful “huh.”
<aside class="pmc-related-link read-more" style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: 1.5; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">Read More:Al Pacino on HBO’s Joe Paterno Movie: ‘The Question Isn’t Just What He Knew, It’s What He Did About It’</aside>And yet despite all of this — his frozen hand, droopy pajamas, and defeated exhalation — the question that immediately pops to mind isn’t an angry rebuke in defense of a respected coach ousted like some data entry temp. It’s, “Did he deserve better?”
That doubt sneaks up on you, much like the rest of the film. No matter your opinions coming in, “Paterno” is designed to engage the school’s most ardent supporters before breaking down why there’s no rationalization for what this coach did. What begins as an immediate rejection of any blame put upon Paterno for the decades-long child sex abuse scandal — carried out by his former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky — slowly but surely shifts perspective as the facts are revealed. Levinson’s film isn’t merely a condemnation of complicit inaction, but also of our instinctual reactions to fallen heroes. That makes it timely, while the filmmaking makes it intense.
1_05fe1_xutm8q0augdtbgnw.jpeg

“Paterno” starts as a football story and ends as a human rights story. At first, it’s easy to side with the coach who’s just trying to win a football game. The opening segment throws us into a fall battle for Paterno’s record-breaking 409th win. But in the moment, it’s exciting. The fans are loud, the teams are evenly matched, and above it all, calling plays from the booth due to a recent hip injury, is Paterno; a god overseeing his domain.
<aside class="pmc-related-link read-more" style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: 1.5; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">Read More:‘Barry’ Review: Bill Hader’s Excellent HBO Comedy Is Incredibly Funny for How Dark It Gets</aside>Levinson introduces the fervor in its designated arena (the football stadium) early in order to contrast where that same passion doesn’t belong later on — the campus streets. Much of “Paterno” is told in contrasts, a film that moves quickly while holding back key revelations far longer than knowledgeable viewers might expect. There’s also the quiet simplicity of Paterno’s home, which is modestly decorated and sparsely populated compared to the lavish halls of Penn State’s athletic facilities or the crowds chanting support on “JoePa’s” front lawn. The townhouse sees its fair share of heated discussions, but none that can’t be silenced by the beckoning of its owner (or just him getting up to change seats).
Then there’s the infuriating lack of response to Sara Ganim’s (Riley Keough) story. A number of times during the film, someone remarks how no one noticed Ganim’s initial report, six months before the indictment, that a grand jury was investigating Sandusky. Her arc builds to a surreal scene where she wanders through the rioting crowds, chanting and tipping cars in protest of their beloved coach’s ouster. After spending so much time talking to victims, wrapping her mind around what happened to them and focusing on the appalling facts of the case, Ganim can only stare in stunned defiance as her school’s current student body ignores the fate of abused children in favor of football. It’s a disparity in human response as profound as it is upsetting.
1_0g98xqhft4fjkuwuxh4f6a.jpeg

And, of course, there’s Paterno himself, studiously embodied by Al Pacino. The transformative thespian captures the look of his subject to a T, but it’s worth noting Paterno’s head is slightly taller, his eyes a touch bigger, than the former coach’s. Even with all the makeup (and those thick, tinted glasses), Pacino is a better-looking version of JoePa and that matters because he’s a more empathetic figure. No matter how you felt about the real Paterno, aesthetically he was trollish; a tiny head with squinty eyes that looked like it was ready to recede into his collared jacket at any moment.
<aside class="pmc-related-link read-more" style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: 1.5; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">Read More:‘Silicon Valley’ Isn’t Ready to Say Goodbye to T.J. Miller — They Have to Torture His Character First</aside>Pacino uses his looks to his advantage. During the opening act, it’s easier to take JoePa’s side because he’s a cute old man trapped in an uncomfortable situation. Viewers can buy into his ignorance as a valid excuse because come on — it’s Joe! That’s exactly how many fans felt from the onset (hence the rioting), and Pacino evokes similar acquiescence before purposefully throwing it out the window as he continues.
Much like Robert De Niro did in Levinson’s HBO film from 2017, the Bernie Madoff biopic “The Wizard of Lies,” Pacino plays Paterno without a wink of hidden understanding. It never feels like Paterno’s purposefully hiding something. He fully believes what he’s saying, even when he’s too flummoxed by all the non-football talk to give a proper response. Yet Pacino tells us everything we need to know by doing less; this isn’t the fiery “Scent of a Woman” Al, shouting down his accusers. This is the “Angels in America” Al — savvy and precise while hiding behind his age, as he remembers events from inside an MRI machine.
1_ydhqc_4ewynkd3zlezqlrg.jpeg

Pacino’s Paterno is at once wracked with guilt and oblivious to any misdeeds. He’s a figure of sympathy and disgust. Pacino constructs the man along with the movie, both timing his subtle tips to critical scenes (like the part in the trailer where Sue asks Paterno about the pool) and adeptly downshifting as his stature dips from a myth to a man.
But the peculiarities stack up. Despite his place at the center of the football program, Paterno doesn’t read Sandusky’s indictment — featuring all the details of his alleged assaults — until days after it’s issued. There’s his laser focus on the upcoming Nebraska game — a game he’ll never coach. There’s the questions about how and why he told who he told, when, and why, that don’t have good answers.
In the end, “Paterno” lays out its case clearly and definitively. If anything, it could’ve been twice as long, ceding more time to Ganim, the students, and the players in the program, past and present. (One could argue Sandusky deserves more screen time, too, as he’s barely in the film, and yet he’s certainly not missed.) For what the film does with the subject under scrutiny, “Paterno” deserves all the praise revoked from the disgraced coach. It speaks to viewers with disparate reactions, but it also speaks to anyone who didn’t dig into the scandal at the time by outlining what happens when we are too quick to defend the famous faces instead of those claiming to be victimized by them.
Did Paterno deserve better? No, the film contends, but those kids sure did. He wasn’t the assaulter; he was a man who turned a deaf ear to victims in need. In the Me Too era, this message matters all the more.
[h=3]Grade: A-[/h]“Paterno” airs Saturday, April 7 at 8 p.m. ET on HBO.
[Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article stated that Joe Paterno was stripped of his 409th win as part of the NCAA’s punishment of the Penn St. football program. This is true, but the win was later reinstated.]

Tokens
Why would anyone watch a complete fairy tail? If you are interested in the truth, here it is

EXCLUSIVE: The Bombshell Newsweek Cover Story, Blowing Up the HBO "Paterno" Movie, That Was Spiked At The Last Moment

Submitted by jzadmin on Thu, 03/29/2018 - 10:18

http://www.framingpaterno.com/exclu...wing-hbo-paterno-movie-was-spiked-last-moment

Newsweek Was About to Publish My Epic Investigation of the ‘Penn State Scandal’ and Then Fear Killed It

by John Ziegler | 10:50 am, April 4th, 2018

<main style="display: table-cell; vertical-align: top; box-sizing: border-box; width: 665px; min-width: 100%; max-width: 100%; padding: 0px 10px; margin: auto; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Hind, arial, sans-serif; font-size: medium;"><article style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; max-width: 640px; overflow: hidden;"><iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-share-button twitter-share-button-rendered twitter-tweet-button" title="Twitter Tweet Button" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.4ed13d9ce94e60c41048ece32559b04c.en.html#dnt=false&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&original_referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediaite.com%2Fcolumnists%2Fnewsweek-was-about-to-publish-my-epic-investigation-of-the-penn-state-scandal-and-then-fear-killed-it%2F&related=Styleite%2CGeekosystem%2CTheMarySue%2CGossipCop%2CTheBraiser%2CTheJaneDough%2CSportsGrid&size=m&text=Newsweek%20Was%20About%20to%20Publish%20My%20Epic%20Investigation%20of%20the%20%27Penn%20State%20Scandal%27%20and%20Then%20Fear%20Killed%20It&time=1522900226973&type=share&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediaite.com%2Fcolumnists%2Fnewsweek-was-about-to-publish-my-epic-investigation-of-the-penn-state-scandal-and-then-fear-killed-it%2F&via=mediaite" data-url="https://www.mediaite.com/columnists/newsweek-was-about-to-publish-my-epic-investigation-of-the-penn-state-scandal-and-then-fear-killed-it/" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 60px; height: 20px;"></iframe>
<iframe name="f3fe2ca6c459774" width="1000px" height="1000px" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no" title="fb:share_button Facebook Social Plugin" src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/share_button.php?app_id=&channel=https%3A%2F%2Fstaticxx.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2Fr%2FFdM1l_dpErI.js%3Fversion%3D42%23cb%3Df17f8ed4d073494%26domain%3Dwww.mediaite.com%26origin%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.mediaite.com%252Ff3d4890e0dd4ab%26relation%3Dparent.parent&container_width=0&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediaite.com%2Fcolumnists%2Fnewsweek-was-about-to-publish-my-epic-investigation-of-the-penn-state-scandal-and-then-fear-killed-it%2F&layout=button&locale=en_US&sdk=joey" class="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; position: absolute; visibility: visible; width: 59px; height: 20px;"></iframe>

Of all the many problems in the modern news media, the one which,in my experience, is the most dangerous is that a story’s viability is now FAR more connected to its popularity than its truthfulness. Obviously false stories which appeal to an already established audience (like just about anything you might hear about “Deep State” conspiracies in the pro-Trump media) are easily able to get told, without rebuke, on major outlets, while unpopular truths about even significant stories can easily be completely shunned as if they don’t even exist.
I just had an extraordinary and soul-crushing experience which dramatically proves this sad phenomenon.
Most people who are aware of me know that for most of this decade I have independently investigated, at enormous personal cost, the so-called “Penn State Scandal.” That’s the story in which 100 percent of the media establishment is totally certain that legendary football coach Joe Paterno and Penn State administrators helped cover up the horrible child sex crimes by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.
I now literally know more about what really did and did not happen in this case than anyone on the planet, including Sandusky himself. While I have no affiliation with Penn State, and don’t even really like anyone who is directly involved in the saga, I have come to the very firm conclusion, against my own self-interest, that virtually everything the media told us about this case is mostly, if not totally, wrong (and that the real story is WAY more fascinating).
As shocking as that assessment is to people who only know the narrative in which the media became instantly and completely invested when the story first broke in late 2011, the most astonishing element is that it is not even remotely a close call and, if I was ever given the proper platform, in a rational world I now have more than enough evidence to prove it. To be clear, as an ardent anti-conspiracy person, I am NOT alleging any significant conspiracy, but rather that a perfect storm of bizarre circumstances created a domino effect in which all the major players became, mostly unwittingly, invested in a false narrative.
Knowing that the media completely blew it on one of the biggest stories of the decade and not being able to effectively even get that side of the story out to a wide audience (despite two major appearances on the Today Show with Matt Lauer) has been a source of extreme frustration for me. Instead, I have been regularly scorned and mocked by “virtue signaling” media members who know almost nothing of the facts the case. All of this has done significant damage to my life in nearly every way.
Then, last year, it appeared that my version of events may have finally gotten a huge break when Bob Roe became the top editor at Newsweek magazine. Bob had a relationship with a reporter, Ralph Cipriano, with whom I had been working on the Penn State case. Roe also had worked many years ago on the infamous “McMartin Pre-School Sex Abuse” story, which turned out to be a fraud. Consequently, he inherently understood how the media could get a story like this wrong in the middle of a moral panic.
Last fall, Bob commissioned Ralph, who had been leaked just about all of the documents from the $118 million Penn State/Sandusky settlements and the “Freeh Report” investigation, to do a cover story on what might have really happened. Ralph, knowing I had information no one else has, formally agreed to bring me on as his co-writer, and I flew across the country to Philadelphia to examine the extraordinary treasure trove of material.
Both of us writing a huge 15-20,000 word story on an extremely complex subject created numerous delays, which made me tremendously nervous because I knew that if something happened to Roe (Newsweek had already been experiencing great turmoil internally), what was likely our one shot at this would be lost forever. By late January, after I took a step back from the process so that it could at least finally get done, we at last had a concrete plan to publish what would be a massive bombshell investigation with tons of new evidence in mid-February.
But then, just as I feared, Bob Roe got fired on Feb. 5 for having instigated an examination of Newsweek’s parent company. Certain that our investigation was now dead and with nowhere else to go with a story of this one’s unique characteristics (including the extreme unpopularity of its implications within the news media and the public), Ralph and I were crestfallen.
However, much to our surprise, those who took over for Roe were still very interested in running our story. Despite being extremely skeptical that in the end they would lose their nerve without Roe being in charge, we went forward, effectively once again rewriting much of the massive story for a new editor who was scrutinizing every sentence.
This Friday, HBO will debut a movie called Paterno starring Al Pacino, which, by all accounts, is going to further promote a narrative that I know to be a fairytale. This meant that everyone at Newsweek knew what our news hook was and what the date of publication had to be. We were set for an online release of probably April 2, with the magazine coming out this Thursday.
Things were progressing fairly well, with the new editor on the story, Ross Schneiderman, even expressing remorse separately to both Ralph and me that he had been one of those writers who had jumped on the false narrative back when the story first broke. He also was clearly excited about the voluminous new evidence that we were going to release. But then, about a week before our March 30 deadline, red flags started to emerge.
Most concerning, we were suddenly told that, despite being one of the longest stories in the history of the magazine, we had lost the cover to Vladimir Putin. This telegraphed to me that someone important was afraid of the story, but after I spoke on March 26 with the person in charge of actually printing and distributing the magazine, and he was making arrangements for our story, I thought that we were still in pretty good shape.
But then came the final vetting by Newsweek’s lawyer.
Normally such a legal review, especially on a story which has already been so meticulously vetted and edited by multiple people, is merely a formality. In this case, where our language was purposely as benign and lacking in accusation as we could have possibly imagined, that should have clearly been the case.
However, the lawyer put my co-writer through an inquisition the likes of which he had never seen, this despite Cipriano having done controversial Newsweek cover stories before. It all seemed intended not just to make sure that Newsweek couldn’t get legitimately sued, or to snip a sentence which might somehow be questionable, but instead to create fear about the entire story, and even about me and Ralph ourselves.
After three days of this, it was clear, especially with Bob Roe no longer around, that we were doomed. I urged Ralph to pull the story so that Newsweek couldn’t suddenly claim after five months that there was something wrong with it journalistically. Ralph declined to do that and, sure enough, the next morning, one day before our deadline for publication, the entire story was killed. Any suggestion now that the piece did not meet Newsweek’s editorial standards is directly contradicted by five months of email evidence, including about how I could purchase extra copies of our edition of the magazine, right up until just before our final deadline.”
In most situations, Newsweek would have had at least some concern about news of this leaking and some other major outlet picking up our material. But because of the unique circumstances of the “Penn State Scandal” they know that they would only get praise for having made this decision and, should they choose to trash me personally, such a narrative will be fully embraced by the rest of the members of the Mainstream Media Club.
Of course, none of that means that what Newsweek did was actually right, or that any of this remotely promotes the truth. But I have long ago learned that in life, and especially in the news media, what is right and was is true is not nearly as important as aggressively avoiding all risk, or doing something you know will be seen as unpopular.
If you are interested in more of what really happened here, I did an extensive podcast on it.
A spokesperson for Newsweek Media Group gave Mediaite the following statement:
Newsweek ultimately decided not to run the story because the reporting did not meet Newsweek’s editorial standards.
John Ziegler hosts a weekly podcast focusing on news media issuesand is documentary filmmaker. You can follow him on Twitter at @ZigManFreud or email him at johnz@mediaite.com

</article></main>

Handicapper
Tokens
"Paterno (2018) Official Trailer ft. Al Pacino | HBO"

Handicapper
Tokens
"BTS About Paterno w/ Al Pacino, Barry Levinson, & Riley Keough | Paterno | HBO"

Handicapper
Tokens
"BTS w/ Al Pacino, Barry Levinson, Kathy Baker & Riley Keough | Paterno | HBO"

Tokens

Enjoy the Flick

• The allegation is false that Joe Paterno participated in a conspiracy to cover up Sandusky's actions because of a fear of bad publicity or for any other reason.
  • There is no evidence to support the allegation that the football culture at Penn State was somehow to blame for Sandusky's crimes. Former Attorney General Dick Thornburgh says that including such a claim, with no factual basis to support it, undermines the credibility of the entire report.
  • Freeh's failure to conduct interviews with most of the key witnesses is a glaring deficiency. In the 1998 incident, for example, Freeh's investigators failed to interview at least 14 of the most important witnesses, including Curley, Schultz, the District Attorney's office, the Department of Public Welfare and the University's police department or its outside legal counsel. This pattern was repeated in the 2001 review. Having never talked with these individuals, the Freeh report still claimed to know what they did and why they did it.
  • Freeh investigators did not have subpoena power, and no one testified under oath. Worse, witnesses were allowed to speak anonymously, something that would never happen in a legitimate legal proceeding.
  • The conspiracy claim made by the Freeh report based on a string of three emails falls apart under scrutiny. Because of a technology switch in 2004, most of the Penn State emails for the time in question are not accessible. Moreover, there are no emails authored by Joe Paterno and none that he received. In fact, the emails referenced by the Freeh report show that Joe Paterno knew few details about Sandusky, that he acted in good faith and that he did what he thought was right based on what he knew at the time.
  • The validity and thoroughness of the Freeh report was oversold to the public, leading to the report being accepted in full and without review by The Board of Trustees and the NCAA.

http://www.paterno.com/Media-Release/default.aspx#.Wsjy4ojwaM8

Tokens
T-minus 1 hour....

set my DVR...

off to a Party...

One thing...

why do people always put poly stuff in most/many threads...

unnecessarily...just saying....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billcunninghamhomeloans
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com