Not ALL Repubs are delusional: The impeachment of Donald Trump: Is it really coming? Republicans definitely think so

Search

Tokens
Grease it up, bitches, grease it up...:missingtepopcorn-eatinggif:nohead:Shush()*[h=1]The impeachment of Donald Trump: Is it really coming? Republicans definitely think so[/h] [h=2]Republicans’ main midterm strategy is to drive their voters out with impeachment-dread. How will Democrats respond?[/h] [h=6]May 11, 2018 12:20pm (UTC)[/h]
On Thursday night in Indiana, President Trump made another one of his "jokes" about extending his presidency beyond eight years. He was talking about how he had wanted to move the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem and was told that might take 10 years.
r4ui

It's not the first time he has alluded to staying in office past 2024. (It goes without saying, in his world, that he will be re-elected in 2020.) Speaking before a group of GOP donors last March he talked about Chinese president Xi Jinping saying, "He's now president for life. President for life. No, he's great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll give that a shot someday."
It's always hard to know how to take Trump's "jokes," since he really doesn't have a sense of humor beyond making fun of others. So these little quips feel freighted with more meaning than your average throwaway line. He's not exactly serious, but it reveals his mindset. He may understand that "extending the presidency" isn't in the cards but it's pretty obvious he wishes it were.
Perhaps it's the usual Trumpish upside-down logic at play, since he and the Republicans are actually running on the idea that he may not even finish out his first term if they don't hold their congressional majority in November. He didn't mention that in Indiana, but he's made it clear in earlier rallies:
Last month Jonathan Martin of the New York Times reported that Trump's advisers had finally gotten through to him that the House was in serious jeopardy of falling into Democratic hands in the midterms -- and that impeachment was on the table, which would naturally galvanize him since the only thing that matters to Trump is Trump. But the strategy is really about motivating Republicans who have been showing less enthusiasm for the election throughout the first year of the administration.
The thinking goes that if Trump is threatened the party will rally to save him, because he's much more popular than the GOP leaders in Congress. Midterm elections are always seen as a referendum on the president these days anyway, so Republicans are counting on their rabid Trump base to come out and support their man.
This exhortation from NRA TV makes the point clearly:
Maybe that "extending the term" thing isn't so fanciful after all. And to think the NRA used to carry on about the tree of liberty needing to be watered with the blood of tyrants.
But the problem for the Republicans in November isn't the loyal Trump cavaliers who are ready to die for their king. If they want to win legitimately, they need to persuade reluctant Trump voters who held their noses in 2016 to contemplate two years of impeachment drama and then come out and vote for him all over again rather than go through all that.
The argument that we wouldn't want to distract the nation with an impeachment inquiry rings just a little hollow, however, amid the 24/7 reality show and tweet pageant we're already witnessing. Those reluctant Trump voters know that's not going to change as long as he's in office. If anything, the shift of focus to the Congress might seem like a welcome change of the channel.
NeverTrumper David Frum made an interesting observation in the Atlantic about this strategy, which sounds plausible to me:
To survive, President Trump needs more than Republican votes, more than a Republican hold on one chamber or the other. He needs active Republican complicity in his future efforts to deflect investigations, whatever they may pursue. As his legal situation deteriorates, some Republicans from marginal seats may be tempted to drift away, to let justice take its course — possibly even to say or do something if justice is obstructed. Trump needs all of them bolted down, and the surest way to bolt them down is to force all Congress members to commit themselves early and fully to his protection.
Removal from office requires 67 votes in the Senate — and a broad consensus in the country that the president must go. It cannot effectively be carried out on a party-line basis, as Republicans painfully discovered during the Clinton presidency. By forcing Republicans to disavow impeachment now, Trump narrows the risks of defection later. It’s not just about the midterm results. It’s about press-ganging every last Republican, down to the most reluctant, aboard Trump’s voyage of the damned.
But what of the Democrats in all this? It's true that Rep. Maxine Waters of California, and a few others in the House, are calling for impeachment. That's not surprising. Recall that during the early stages of the Whitewater investigation, Rep. Bob Barr, R-Ga., introduced a resolution directing the House Judiciary Committee "to undertake an inquiry into whether grounds exist to impeach William Jefferson Clinton, the President of the United States." That was months before the Lewinsky affair became public knowledge. But even when the Lewinsky story was all over the media, House Republicans were reluctant to back Barr's resolution. The Washington Post reported in February of 1998:
House Majority Leader Dick Armey (R-Tex.) said "I don't think we have the kind of evidentiary basis to be talking about impeachment at this time. I don't really think you should, when it's such an important matter and it's frankly still in the abstract."
"An impeachment proceeding must be bipartisan in the final analysis. ... It can't be seen as a purely political, vindictive, partisan exercise," says House Judiciary Chairman Henry Hyde (R-Ill.), who opposes Barr's resolution as "premature" until independent counsel Kenneth Starr comes up with hard evidence. "There's no need to leap before we know where we're jumping."
A few months later, Hyde was running the impeachment investigation.
The Democratic leadership is following the same playbook with Trump. Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., published an op-ed in the New York Times last weekend that made almost exactly the same points. By all accounts, very few Democratic candidates in the midterms are featuring impeachment as a prominent campaign issue. So far, the only people bringing up the "I word" are Republicans.
Nonetheless, Democrats would be foolish to try to pretend that Donald Trump's metastasizing scandals don't exist at all. They have voters too -- who are motivated and energized in opposition to everything Trump is and everything he does. They've taken to the streets in massive numbers. They've organized grassroots groups all over the country. They've run for office. They've and created and enlarged mass movements around progressive issues. Indeed, they've done everything citizens can do short of revolution to oppose this president. The Democrats will have to respond in some way to this demand that Trump be opposed rather than appeased.
But they don't need to run on impeachment. They can simply address the fact that the Republican leadership in Congress is refusing to exercise its constitutional duty of oversight, and promise that they will hold public hearings and get to the bottom of what happened in 2016. In other words, they should promise to do the job they are signing up for -- and promise to let the chips fall where they may.

Tokens
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get impeached? It's not going to happen? I think us Democrats should be more focused on tax issues etc instead of worrying about the President getting impeached. It would have to be something major.

I'm sure many want him impeached but haven't taken the shot yet because they want something big, something monumental. They want to make sure when they take a shot, if they take a shot, that it's a good one.

I was so glad when Bill Clinton wasn't impeached. I never thought he would be in any major trouble in the first place. Glad he was ok. He's an intelligent man and understands world issues better than most presidents. I don't care what people say, Bill Clinton was one of the great ones.

Anyways, I'll tell you right now, Trump will not be impeached. If that's what you're hoping for then you're in for a disappoint and don't understand how things work.

Tokens
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get impeached? It's not going to happen? I think us Democrats should be more focused on tax issues etc instead of worrying about the President getting impeached. It would have to be something major.

I'm sure many want him impeached but haven't taken the shot yet because they want something big, something monumental. They want to make sure when they take a shot, if they take a shot, that it's a good one.

I was so glad when Bill Clinton wasn't impeached. I never thought he would be in any major trouble in the first place. Glad he was ok. He's an intelligent man and understands world issues better than most presidents. I don't care what people say, Bill Clinton was one of the great ones.

Anyways, I'll tell you right now, Trump will not be impeached. If that's what you're hoping for then you're in for a disappoint and don't understand how things work.

Yeah, I DO know how difficult it is to get impeached, and I also know the meaning of the word, which, you obviously don't, along with not understanding "how things work." Clinton WAS impeached, for starters, and, why don't you compare how many indictments and guilty pleas Nixon had at this stage with what Mueller's team has accumulated. Mueller is arguably the most impressive law enforcement guy in US history, and he knows what he is doing. He didn't give Flynn, Papadop, and Gates reduced sentences because he had butterflies in his belly about them-and we haven't even gotten to Cohen, who is going to be indicted just as sure as Greenboob is mentally impaired. When what those people known is revealed, it'll be easy, let alone the revelations of others-like the attorney who quit almost as soon as he got off the flight where Hope Hicks said the e-mails would never see the light of day, and Twittler dictated a Lying Letter to his brainless offspring, the United Emirates guy who is cooperating, and Davidson, the lawyer who colluded with Cohen to hoodwink the Playmate whom Twittler paid 150k to for "no reason" and who is reportedly cooperating, as well. The fact that Twittler has already lost 3 lawyers in less than 2 months(with Rudy on the launch pad, by all indications, as well), and that virtually no other reputable law firm in Washington will touch Twittler with a ten phone pole ought to tell you something.

Tokens
Yeah, I DO know how difficult it is to get impeached, and I also know the meaning of the word, which, you obviously don't, along with not understanding "how things work." Clinton WAS impeached, for starters, and, why don't you compare how many indictments and guilty pleas Nixon had at this stage with what Mueller's team has accumulated. Mueller is arguably the most impressive law enforcement guy in US history, and he knows what he is doing. He didn't give Flynn, Papadop, and Gates reduced sentences because he had butterflies in his belly about them-and we haven't even gotten to Cohen, who is going to be indicted just as sure as Greenboob is mentally impaired. When what those people known is revealed, it'll be easy, let alone the revelations of others-like the attorney who quit almost as soon as he got off the flight where Hope Hicks said the e-mails would never see the light of day, and Twittler dictated a Lying Letter to his brainless offspring, the United Emirates guy who is cooperating, and Davidson, the lawyer who colluded with Cohen to hoodwink the Playmate whom Twittler paid 150k to for "no reason" and who is reportedly cooperating, as well. The fact that Twittler has already lost 3 lawyers in less than 2 months(with Rudy on the launch pad, by all indications, as well), and that virtually no other reputable law firm in Washington will touch Twittler with a ten phone pole ought to tell you something.

Okay what I meant to say was Clinton was acquitted. He was impeached you're right. I do know the meaning of it. I meant to say he was acquitted of all charges.

That's also what I meant about Trump, nothing will become of it. He might be impeached but he won't be found guilty.

Do you not like Trump as a President or do you not like him as a person? Or both? Because I can't stand him as a person but so far I like him as a President and I'm a Democrat.

You create a lot of threads about him but then others create a lot of threads hating on Democrats. So I guess it's all good.

Tokens
Okay what I meant to say was Clinton was acquitted. He was impeached you're right. I do know the meaning of it. I meant to say he was acquitted of all charges.

That's also what I meant about Trump, nothing will become of it. He might be impeached but he won't be found guilty.

Do you not like Trump as a President or do you not like him as a person? Or both? Because I can't stand him as a person but so far I like him as a President and I'm a Democrat.

You create a lot of threads about him but then others create a lot of threads hating on Democrats. So I guess it's all good.

I grew up in NYC and Dump has been scum for decades. He got sued by the DOJ, twice, for racial discrimination, and had to pay undisclosed settment amounts both times. He took out a full page ad in the NY Times saying the Central Park 5 should die, and, when DNA evidence exonerated them, he refused to apologize. His mentor was Roy Cohn, arguably the Mother of All Scumbag lawyers, who taught Dump if somebody screws you, screw them 10 times worse, and was an important person for McCarthy in a REAL witch hunt in the 1950s, accusing people of being Communists without proof. Cohn was in the closet but went after gays, and was eventually disbarred and died in disgrace, of AIDS. Dump has been stiffing people for years, a philandering sack of shit, and, of course accused Obama of being a non-citizen for the better part of 8 years before tersely admitting that Obama was, indeed, an American citizen. He has shown to have told lies or very misleading statement over 3,000 times in less than a year, even lying about insignificant shit where he could easily shown to be lying, like the size of his Inauguration crowd compared to Obama's. The guy is 10 times worse than Nixon, and, I am unaware of what accomplishments that he has had. Thank goodness he's not going to last, you'll pardon me if I take more notice of Avenatti's words and Mueller's deeds(and, I noticed you completely ignored my remarks about Mueller's expertise and accomplishments thus far) than yours or anybody else who is ignoring the obvious.

Tokens
I grew up in NYC and Dump has been scum for decades. He got sued by the DOJ, twice, for racial discrimination, and had to pay undisclosed settment amounts both times. He took out a full page ad in the NY Times saying the Central Park 5 should die, and, when DNA evidence exonerated them, he refused to apologize. His mentor was Roy Cohn, arguably the Mother of All Scumbag lawyers, who taught Dump if somebody screws you, screw them 10 times worse, and was an important person for McCarthy in a REAL witch hunt in the 1950s, accusing people of being Communists without proof. Cohn was in the closet but went after gays, and was eventually disbarred and died in disgrace, of AIDS. Dump has been stiffing people for years, a philandering sack of shit, and, of course accused Obama of being a non-citizen for the better part of 8 years before tersely admitting that Obama was, indeed, an American citizen. He has shown to have told lies or very misleading statement over 3,000 times in less than a year, even lying about insignificant shit where he could easily shown to be lying, like the size of his Inauguration crowd compared to Obama's. The guy is 10 times worse than Nixon, and, I am unaware of what accomplishments that he has had. Thank goodness he's not going to last, you'll pardon me if I take more notice of Avenatti's words and Mueller's deeds(and, I noticed you completely ignored my remarks about Mueller's expertise and accomplishments thus far) than yours or anybody else who is ignoring the obvious.

Forgot to add "And because when Trump steps out of office, Mike Pence would do so much better at Trump to help push a Democratic agenda".... oh, thats right.... just so much hate for Trump as a PERSON, even tho he is going great as President... that it doesnt matter, he needs to go, so someone like Super Religious Pence can try and run the country.

Tokens
Forgot to add "And because when Trump steps out of office, Mike Pence would do so much better at Trump to help push a Democratic agenda".... oh, thats right.... just so much hate for Trump as a PERSON, even tho he is going great as President... that it doesnt matter, he needs to go, so someone like Super Religious Pence can try and run the country.

The fact that you don't realize that a "typically" corrupt politician of ANY political persuasion is better than Twittler-and that you think he is "going great as President," shows how stupid that you are-almost as dumb as the "outted" Out or A Sap Sucker.

Tokens
The fact that you don't realize that a "typically" corrupt politician of ANY political persuasion is better than Twittler-and that you think he is "going great as President," shows how stupid that you are-almost as dumb as the "outted" Out or A Sap Sucker.

So.... whats he doing that isnt great... most of your posts about him are things from before he was president that have nothing to do with his job performance as President.

So what political things has he done thats killing America and harming its people?

Tokens
Yeah, I DO know how difficult it is to get impeached, and I also know the meaning of the word, which, you obviously don't, along with not understanding "how things work." Clinton WAS impeached, for starters, and, why don't you compare how many indictments and guilty pleas Nixon had at this stage with what Mueller's team has accumulated. Mueller is arguably the most impressive law enforcement guy in US history, and he knows what he is doing.

Um, the troll farm indictments have nothing to do with Trump and are the only indictments that have come about from non-process crimes.
Nobody, anywhere, has been indicted for "collusion" or any election conspiracy.

The fact that you think this is impressive is freakin' hysterical. Of course you're cartoonishly ignorant about the law and have no clue what you're talking about.

Finally, the assertion that Mueller "knows what he is doing" is one of the funniest things you've ever posted here. Mueller personally led the investigation of the 2001 Anthrax attacks. He blamed Steven Hatfill who was innocent. Hatfill turned around and sued the government and won $5.8 million dollars.

Look, you're a moron conflating yours silly fantasies with fact. As all the posts that are bumped revealing your idiocy that your ignore confirm. A normal person would realize this and stop talking.
Instead, you create more threads.

Tokens

Okay, I wasn't aware of some of these facts. Especially about the racial discrimination lawsuits. I didn't know that. I do know he's declared bankruptcy multiple times and isn't the real estate guru he wants people (maybe himself) to believe. I also can't stand his lying and trying to discredit the media completely. If people are calling Liberals sheep for blindly following the media (we don't) then the Republicans are sheep for believing Trump about the media always being fake news. It's funny how he makes up a couple of terms and the Republicans buy into it hook line and sink her. Instead of explaining himself all he has to say is FAKE NEWS! And there start the chants, MAGA MAGA MAGAAA BAAHH BAHHH. Sounds like sheep to me. Just a couple of catch phrases.

I never thought he was that great of a person to begin with. I am now starting to think he's a real piece of shit. But the fact remains, he's doing some good. We'll see what happens. I definitely don't think his temperament is right for president but again so far not bad.

This is why it's productive to have conversations instead of trolling each other and making remarks such as you're a piece of shit, you're a libtard, you're a republicant. Lol.

I don't know how this is all going to play out but I maintain that he won't be removed as President. Whether or not he will be known as a good President progress wise, we'll see. He can still monumentally fuck up.

I just don't understand why posters on here seem so heavily invested in it. Attacking each other and getting steamed. Doesn't seem worth it. Too much to enjoy in life to worry about this garbage. All politicians lie and don't keep all their promises. It's how the game works.

Tokens
Also, I'm aware that Trump said they created tens of thousands of new coal related jobs but in reality it was like 1000?

Tokens
So.... whats he doing that isnt great... most of your posts about him are things from before he was president that have nothing to do with his job performance as President.

So what political things has he done thats killing America and harming its people?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...s-says-trump-is-the-worst-president-ever.html

The above has been posted before, and, once again, I'll take the word of 170 experts over biased right wing nitwits every day o the week. More specific things are below, and there is only one "overlap" on the 2 lists, so, that's 14 things, in just his first year. Since both lists only included his first year, I'll add his incredibly stupid tariff stance, as well as the the unbelievably dumb decision to exit the Iran deal-which, in turn, will likely "bleed over" into the so called North Korea talks: putting aside that I trust Jung-Un as far as I can bowl him, what incentive does North Korea have to enter an agreement-or stick to it-when they see we just welched(you know what that word means, don't you?) on a deal we only signed 3 years ago?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5e5467912fcf

http://www.sfweekly.com/news/the-five-worst-things-about-trumps-first-year/

The ignorance about climate change is particularly distressing, like the "5 worst things" article says, he's too stupid to understand the difference between weather and climate, plus, his policies are being implemented by arguably the most inept, corrupt official in modern history, Scott Pruitt:

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/3...ghing-during-discussion-of-pruitt-allegations

ELEVEN allegations, and a day or so ago he just got busted hob nobbing with a priest facing decades of sexual abuse charges (who just happens to be a climate change denier) and trying to cover it up. That's an even dozen, he shouldn't just be fired, he should be jailed.

Tokens
Um, the troll farm indictments have nothing to do with Trump and are the only indictments that have come about from non-process crimes.
Nobody, anywhere, has been indicted for "collusion" or any election conspiracy.

The fact that you think this is impressive is freakin' hysterical. Of course you're cartoonishly ignorant about the law and have no clue what you're talking about.

Finally, the assertion that Mueller "knows what he is doing" is one of the funniest things you've ever posted here. Mueller personally led the investigation of the 2001 Anthrax attacks. He blamed Steven Hatfill who was innocent. Hatfill turned around and sued the government and won $5.8 million dollars.

Look, you're a moron conflating yours silly fantasies with fact. As all the posts that are bumped revealing your idiocy that your ignore confirm. A normal person would realize this and stop talking.
Instead, you create more threads.

Don't know what "troll farm" indictments means, but I stopped reading the instant you said "...have nothing to do with Trump." Anybody who can ignore Papdop(convicted felon charged with lying to feds about RUSSIA), Flynn(convicted felon charged with lying to feds about RUSSIA, among other things, and was caught colluding with them on the phone), Gates(convicted felon charged with lying to feds about RUSSIA, and for not registering as a foreign agent to RUSSIA, as was his buddy Paulie Numbnuts), over a dozen individuals and companies indicted, all from RUSSIA, is a special kind o stupid. And now we've recently learned that good 'ole Mickey Cohen had a half mill dumped into the freshly created "Keep dem bitches QUIET" LLC, and, you'd probably need 3 guesses to figure out what county his benefactor was from, wouldn't you? You're just too stupid to deal with constantly, and, speaking of which, what happened to your big pledge to ignore my posts? You break your word almost as often as that bloated Orange Ape does.

Tokens
Okay, I wasn't aware of some of these facts. Especially about the racial discrimination lawsuits. I didn't know that. I do know he's declared bankruptcy multiple times and isn't the real estate guru he wants people (maybe himself) to believe. I also can't stand his lying and trying to discredit the media completely. If people are calling Liberals sheep for blindly following the media (we don't) then the Republicans are sheep for believing Trump about the media always being fake news. It's funny how he makes up a couple of terms and the Republicans buy into it hook line and sink her. Instead of explaining himself all he has to say is FAKE NEWS! And there start the chants, MAGA MAGA MAGAAA BAAHH BAHHH. Sounds like sheep to me. Just a couple of catch phrases.

I never thought he was that great of a person to begin with. I am now starting to think he's a real piece of shit. But the fact remains, he's doing some good. We'll see what happens. I definitely don't think his temperament is right for president but again so far not bad.

This is why it's productive to have conversations instead of trolling each other and making remarks such as you're a piece of shit, you're a libtard, you're a republicant. Lol.

I don't know how this is all going to play out but I maintain that he won't be removed as President. Whether or not he will be known as a good President progress wise, we'll see. He can still monumentally fuck up.

I just don't understand why posters on here seem so heavily invested in it. Attacking each other and getting steamed. Doesn't seem worth it. Too much to enjoy in life to worry about this garbage. All politicians lie and don't keep all their promises. It's how the game works.

Given the number of posts you've made on the subject, YOU seem pretty heavily invested in it, as well. I agree that all politicians are, to some extent, dishonest, but this guy's off the chain, and the defense of "Why prosecute me as the incumbent when EVERYBODY does it" is unconvincing, to say the least. Why have nearly half of this top people quit or been fired in less than 1.5 years? How come he's lost 2 lawyers-plus Cohen-since late March? And, the question that NFL Turds and every other Righty avoids like the plague, if Dump is innocent, why does he care if Cohen flips? On a completely unrelated, the optics of a Cadet Bone Spurs(remember, he got FIVE deferments to avoid Vietnam) talking about McCain not being a war hero, and, in effect, sanctioning some dumb blonde bitch to mock a terminally ill war hero, it doesn't get much worse than that.

Tokens
Don't know what "troll farm" indictments means, but I stopped reading the instant you said "...have nothing to do with Trump." Anybody who can ignore Papdop(convicted felon charged with lying to feds about RUSSIA), Flynn(convicted felon charged with lying to feds about RUSSIA, among other things, and was caught colluding with them on the phone), Gates(convicted felon charged with lying to feds about RUSSIA, and for not registering as a foreign agent to RUSSIA, as was his buddy Paulie Numbnuts), over a dozen individuals and companies indicted, all from RUSSIA, is a special kind o stupid. And now we've recently learned that good 'ole Mickey Cohen had a half mill dumped into the freshly created "Keep dem bitches QUIET" LLC, and, you'd probably need 3 guesses to figure out what county his benefactor was from, wouldn't you? You're just too stupid to deal with constantly, and, speaking of which, what happened to your big pledge to ignore my posts? You break your word almost as often as that bloated Orange Ape does.

Of course you "don't know"

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Russian troll farm, 13 suspects indicted in 2016 election interference

@):mad:

Tokens
Anybody who can ignore Papdop(convicted felon charged with lying to feds about RUSSIA), Flynn(convicted felon charged with lying to feds about RUSSIA, among other things, and was caught colluding with them on the phone), Gates(convicted felon charged with lying to feds about RUSSIA, and for not registering as a foreign agent to RUSSIA, as was his buddy Paulie Numbnuts), over a dozen individuals and companies indicted, all from RUSSIA, is a special kind o stupid.

Idiot: Nobody has been indicted for any crime related to "collusion" or the election.

You can't address this fact. Absent the investigation, Flynn, Papadopolous and Gates would have faced no crimes. These are process crimes that have nothing to do with Trump or the election.

Read it until it sinks in, loser.

Tokens
Don't know what "troll farm" indictments means.

“There is no allegation in this indictment that any American was a knowing participant in this illegal activity,” Rosenstein told reporters. “There is no allegation in the indictment that the charged conduct altered the outcome of the 2016 election."

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Tokens
Also, I'm aware that Trump said they created tens of thousands of new coal related jobs but in reality it was like 1000?

Correct, but, outrageous lies aside, take a look at the long list of broken promises:

https://thinkprogress.org/donald-trumps-100-days-of-broken-promises-a4c116bbb2b4/

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/02/03/20-big-promises-trump-voters-hes-broken-just-one-year

Now, the above two are pretty old, especially the first one. Time for an update...like, from yesterday:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...romise-prescription-drugs-infrastructure.html

[h=1]Trump Has Now Broken Every One of His Economic Populist Promises[/h]By Jonathan Chait
@jonathanchait
May 11, 2018

One of Donald Trump’s most well-received and attention-grabbing campaign promises was that he would allow the federal government to negotiate the price of prescription drugs it covers through Medicare. “If we negotiated the price of drugs, Joe, we’d save $300 billion a year,” he rather optimistically asserted. The reason this money-saving method had not been used, he told audiences, was the influence of the industry. “We don’t do it. Why? Because of the drug companies.” Liberals actually support the idea, which would allow the government to use its bargaining power to hold down prices, and which fed into Trump’s image as a populist outsider breaking with party orthodoxy. Trump claimed that other candidates were too compromised by their donors, but he had the financial independence to do the right thing. “We’re going to negotiate like crazy,” he said.The “crazy” part of that promise has held up, but the “negotiate” part has not. Trump is announcing his Medicare prescription drug plan today, and Robert Pear reports it will not include the promised negotiations. “We are not calling for Medicare negotiation in the way that Democrats have called for,” an official says.

Donald Trump ran for president as an economic populist. This fact has been largely forgotten, buried by the flurry of bizarre and outrageous actions, and activists on both sides have had little reason to bring it up. Conservatives have pushed the administration to forget its unorthodox gestures and follow Paul Ryan’s lead. Progressives have emphasized the racist and sexist nature of Trump’s appeal. But Trump’s ability to distance himself from his party’s economic brand formed a decisive element of his appeal. Voters actually saw Trump as more moderate than any Republican presidential candidate since 1972. And he has violated every one of his promises.

This week, the administration announced very quietly there would be no infrastructure bill this year. Trump had forcefully positioned himself to Hillary Clinton’s left on this issue, promising to spend twice as much as she would, and painting lavish pictures of hard-hat jobs modernizing roads and airports across the country. Instead, he used all his fiscal running room on a large, regressive tax cut, which predictably has forced the deficit to a level where he no longer has political support for a deficit-financed infrastructure bill.Trump promised over and over to pull out of Nafta and renegotiate a much better deal. Trump insisted Nafta was “at the center of the catastrophe” of declining blue-collar wages. He quoted Bernie Sanders’s attacks on Hillary Clinton as a free trader, and promisedeither to abrogate the treaty or to negotiate a much better deal as one of his first acts as president — “I don’t mean just a little bit better, I mean a lot better.” Unlike some of his other promises, this one was never terribly realistic — there is no easy “better” trade deal to be negotiated. Trump has instead tried to hide the ball by burying his policy in low-profile negotiations where he is requesting minor tweaksand hoping nobody notices.Trump also repeatedly promised universal health care. Republicans as a whole had insisted since 2009 that they would replace Obamacare with something better, that did not deny anybody anything, but rather than fuzzing up this promise, like most of his party, Trump leaned heavily and explicitly into the benefits. “Everybody’s gotta be covered. This is an un-Republican thing for me to say … I am going to take care of everybody, I don’t care if it costs me votes or not. Everybody’s going to be taken care of, much better than they’re taken care of now … The government’s going to pay for it.” Instead, he never proposed an alternative to Obamacare, never compromised with Democrats on the issue, and instead sabotaged the existing program. After falling for several years, the uninsured rate is climbing again.“Draining the swamp” has become a catchall-Republican slogan, like “lock her up,” that basically means doing anything to lash out at Trump’s opponents. During the campaign, though, it had a different and more specific definition. Trump promised to enact reforms to reduce the power of lobbyists and business. He specifically endorsed:• A constitutional amendment imposing term limits on members of Congress
• A ban on federal employees lobbying the government for five years
• A ban on members of Congress lobbying for five years
• Tighter rules about what constitutes a lobbyist, instead of letting people call themselves consultants
• Campaign finance reform limiting what foreign companies can raise for American political candidates
• A ban on senior government officials lobbying for foreign governments
Trump has not merely forgotten these promises, his administration has embraced Washington sleaze with unprecedented gusto. Not only has he failed to prevent former administration officials from lobbying for foreign governments, he has had current administration officials lobbying for foreign governments. There has never been an American presidency so easily manipulated by domestic and foreign business interests. The most benign explanation for Michael Cohen’s secret payments to his hastily constructed Delaware shell company is that he was a conduit for business interests to buy their way into Trump’s good graces.[Update] Trump also promised, over and over and over again, to raise taxes on the rich, including on himself. “It’s going to cost me a fortune, which is actually true,” he said. It was not actually true at all.Trump promised to do a lot of un-Republican things to give resources and influence to blue-collar Americans, which would have threatened his party’s power brokers. Many of these promises were feasible if Trump actually wanted to follow through on them. Instead, the only promises he has kept are the ones that put money in the pockets of Trump and his cronies.

Tokens
Of course you "don't know"

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Russian troll farm, 13 suspects indicted in 2016 election interference

@):mad:

Oh, yeah, that was about as clear as mud. What about the numerous indictments that did NOT include those people? You know, like Papadop, Manafort, Gates, and...Mike Flynn. YOU remember Mike Flynn don't you? The guy you stated would have been indicted if the feds actually had something on him? Ring a bell? :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Tokens
Idiot: Nobody has been indicted for any crime related to "collusion" or the election.

You can't address this fact. Absent the investigation, Flynn, Papadopolous and Gates would have faced no crimes. These are process crimes that have nothing to do with Trump or the election.

Read it until it sinks in, loser.

1st of all, you and your fellow moron, NFL Turds, keep desperately grasping onto the word "collusion" like a fat, NFL Turds-sized slob grasping onto a life saver the size of doughnut. There are easily a dozen things these scum can be charged with, and the connections with Russia are, as shown above, perfectly obvious to anybody with a brain and even a shred of objectivity, both of which, of course, would exclude YOU. Then, you came up with the Stupidity Piece de Resistance:

"Absent the investigation, Flynn, Papadopolous and Gates would have faced no crimes."

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's kinda like a captured bank robber saying, "Hey, if that bank teller doesn't push the button and summon the cops, my robbery would've gone smooth as silk!"

There was suspicion of Russian interference from numerous people-including every single one of the intelligence agencies, and from the mouth of the Head Moron himself. Thus, the investigation began, and the people you named ALL ADMITTED LYING, YOU BRAIN DEAD TURD. One, if there was nothing wrong going, why did they ALL lie? And, secondly, your comment is so stupid-not to mention revealing of what kind of skeevy scum you are- that it defies explanation. No, that's not correct, there IS an explanation:

You're a moron

""Absent the investigation, Flynn, Papadopolous and Gates would have faced no crimes."

You're gonna see THAT comment repeated a few times from now, you brain dead schmuck.:hahahahahpopcorn-eatinggif:pointer:Loser!@#0kth)(&^w-thumbs!^Slapping-silly90)):madasshol:bigfingerazzkick(&^:tongue2::fckmad::Countdown:carto1710

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billcunninghamhomeloans
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com