Forum: College Football Forum - Sponsored by:

Thread: 10 Quarterback Transfers to Watch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 10 Quarterback Transfers to Watch 
    RX SemiGod
    Some highly rated quarterbacks coming out of high school are transferring to
    new schools. One or two are transferring for a second time.

Which QB will have the biggest impact on his new school?
    Which QB will be a bust with his new team?

Blake Barnett - Arizona State to South Florida
    Dru Brown - Hawaii to Oklahoma State
    Joe Burrow - Ohio State to LSU
    KJ Carter Samuels - Washington to Colorado State
    Keller Chryst - Stanford to Tennessee
    Brandon Dawkins - Arizona to Indiana
    Gardner Minshew - East Carolina to Washington State
    James Morgan - Bowling Green to FIU
    Shea Patterson - Ole Miss to Michigan
    Brady White - Arizona State to Memphis

Welcome your comments...……………………...

113-12 with 5 titles in 9 years rolltide's Avatar
    you can probably add Jalen Hurts to this list

yesterday Bama got a 2018 commit from a 2-star Arkansas State greyshirt, Layne Hatcher. With only 3 scholarship QB on roster the thought of going into the season with only Tua and Mac clearly was the catalyst for this signing as Hatcher would have never gotten a look from Bama if there wasn't some desperation involved. With two QB already committed for 2019 class there would be no other reason than a Jalen (or Mac, i guess) transfer coming this summer

If/when Hurws transfers he will not be able to play in 2018

RX SemiGod
    RT, I just watch 30 minutes of tape on Layne Hatcher and the kid was damn impressive. He's 6-1, 205 pounds
    and can scramble and throw well. Three time All-State QB at Pulaski Academy (Little Rock, Ark) where he led
    them to three 5-A State Championships. He's holds records for most passing yards (15,907), most touchdown
    passes (188) and most yards in one game (757) in Arkansas high school football.

He made visits to Auburn, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State but none offered. Why Arkansas State was the larger
    school to offer...I don't know. Alabama saw enough in him to scholarship him and looking at his film...he's going
    to surprise folks in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    he's going to surprise folks in a year or two.
    maybe at Alabama State, Alabama A&M, or North Alabama but not in Tuscaloosa

happy for the kid and doesn't hurt anything as Bama wasn't full off scholarships anyway and needed an extra body at the position. Feel bad for Jay's kid who came here as preferred walk-on and now gets his potential scholarship handed to Hatcher.

I'm not going to get excited about a kid who's only scholarship offers were Eastern Illinois, Georgetown, and Murray State...kid wasn't even offer-status at Arkansas State he was either blueshirt or greyshirt.

reminds me of when Pitt got Trey Anderson to forget about Tyler CC and take a D1 scholarship with the Panthers. Had great HS stats and led Pearland to Texas state title ... needed a body and he was one. Stayed 16-18 months then went to FIU and don't think he ever started a college game for either program.

you just wasted 30 minutes of your life ;)

RX SemiGod
    I don't waste any minutes of my life reading or watching college football. I do it
    everyday and don't need some smartass suggesting otherwise.

Take an X-LAX old man...you might feel better. If not...Go Fuck Yourself!!!

RX Old-Timer
    Jacob Eason from UGa to UWashington (I think). Some folks on this board were pretty high on him, but he was pretty stiff from the film I saw in HS. Also per someone that saw him quite a bit in HS, he didn't play well against equally talented defenses.

There is a HOPE/WISH, that if Hurts transfers, it might be to Houston. But that's just gossip at this point.

RX SemiGod
    WinOne, Eason did a good job for Georgia during his freshman year. The kid has a good arm and may help
    a team like Washington next year. I have no ideal what he has between the ears but he has talent.

Hurts, if he bails might consider Houston. He's been really good at Alabama and probably could somewhere
    else. If he wants to leave...I thank him and wish him good luck. The truth is, Bama has a better quarterback.

Joe Burrow will do well at LSU.

RX SemiGod
    Quote Originally Posted by 1osubucks View Post
    Understand Bucks and I hope he does...who the hell knows with LSU's use
    and production of quarterbacks. Crap shoot.

The QB who gains the most attention in my opinion is Patterson at Michigan.
    The kid can play and (IF) he has a great season...Michigan will be a player in
    the Big Ten and maybe Final four.

I can't stand Michigan's nutty coach.....but, I'm pulling for Patterson to show he's
    a top notch college quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by 1osubucks View Post
    Depending if they run the ball 80% of the time. LSU always has studs on the outside, but never a QB. Wonder why those players go there.
    Don’t drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!

Quote Originally Posted by WinOne View Post
    Jacob Eason from UGa to UWashington (I think). Some folks on this board were pretty high on him, but he was pretty stiff from the film I saw in HS. Also per someone that saw him quite a bit in HS, he didn't play well against equally talented defenses.

There is a HOPE/WISH, that if Hurts transfers, it might be to Houston. But that's just gossip at this point.
    Eason is a player, and showed he could be a teammate last year. He sucks on the short throws tho.
    Don’t drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!

RX SemiGod
    Albert, some old guys will be waiting on your "Best" MAC conference plays this season.

Depending on you to keep the MAC story alive.

Looks like Barnett is just not good. This is his third team now. Burrow is going to be very interesting to watch. He maybe the best out the bunch. Patterson, I don't see why he is so great. Saying this because a lot of Michigan fans are hyped up about him coming. At this point Harbaugh seems to be over rated, but you never know.

RX Senior
    Hunter Johnson (espn ranked #1 pocket passer in 2017) leaving clemson to go to northwestern

RX SemiGod
    Keep an eye on this kid at Marshall. (name escapes me right now)

At 6-5, 230 pounds with NFL arm according to some NFL scouts.

He could surprise a lot of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Seminoles View Post
    Looks like Barnett is just not good. This is his third team now. Burrow is going to be very interesting to watch. He maybe the best out the bunch. Patterson, I don't see why he is so great. Saying this because a lot of Michigan fans are hyped up about him coming. At this point Harbaugh seems to be over rated, but you never know.
    pretty wild a kid that started 1st game of his college career as a freshman at Alabama cannot play in major college football. Also won the Elite 11 competition before his senior year in HS....same thing won by Winston, Patterson, and Tua. Should tear up that shit conference

Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    Keep an eye on this kid at Marshall. (name escapes me right now)

At 6-5, 230 pounds with NFL arm according to some NFL scouts.

He could surprise a lot of folks.
    6'6" kid from wagner...forgot his name

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    pretty wild a kid that started 1st game of his college career as a freshman at Alabama cannot play in major college football. Also won the Elite 11 competition before his senior year in HS....same thing won by Winston, Patterson, and Tua. Should tear up that shit conference
    Well we all know all that doesn't matter. It's what you do on the field. Not a Bama fan, but if my memory is correct didn't he get pulled that 1st game?

Well we all know all that doesn't matter. It's what you do on the field. Not a Bama fan, but if my memory is correct didn't he get pulled that 1st game?
    pulled for true frosh, Jalen, after 2 series', then sent back in for mop-up duty, then left school a month later

but if you can win the Elite XI MVP and start in your first game at an elite football program you can't be that horrible. and, hasn't really had much of a chance to show what he can "do on the field"....1 college start (for 2 drives) and 5 mop-up appearances.

kid has been told how great he is all his life and has no fight in him but, at one time, had absolutely elite talent compared to kids his age. I will be surprised if he doesn't win USF starting job over two true freshman and smack around Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, and UConn. Massive step down in competition for him

RX SemiGod
    Barnett is very talented and will prove it this season.

Kiffin begged him to come to FAU...but maybe some hard feeling against the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    pulled for true frosh, Jalen, after 2 series', then sent back in for mop-up duty, then left school a month later

but if you can win the Elite XI MVP and start in your first game at an elite football program you can't be that horrible. and, hasn't really had much of a chance to show what he can "do on the field"....1 college start (for 2 drives) and 5 mop-up appearances.

kid has been told how great he is all his life and has no fight in him but, at one time, had absolutely elite talent compared to kids his age. I will be surprised if he doesn't win USF starting job over two true freshman and smack around Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, and UConn. Massive step down in competition for him
    No QB has turned out good bouncing from multiple schools. I mean college is a totally different animal than high school football. A lot of them just don't pan out. Barnett reminds me of Gunner Kiel. Another QB that has been told how great he was and never lived up to the hype.

Banned
    Gentlemen, remember this. If these kids were any good, they would be the starters at their former schools. Sure some can mature and evolve into good QB's, but for the most part, they just do not have what it takes to make it.

No QB has turned out good bouncing from multiple schools. I mean college is a totally different animal than high school football. A lot of them just don't pan out. Barnett reminds me of Gunner Kiel. Another QB that has been told how great he was and never lived up to the hype.
    first off, not many end up at 3-4 schools so it is really a small sample size but even with that tiny sample size I'm assuming you would agree that sCam Newton, Nick Marshall, and Chad Kelly were pretty damn successful QB's and Jarrett Stidham doesn't look awful either. All those guys are 3-schoolers...

second, i can name as many successful qb's from original school as the transfers including an ex-FSU qb that won a national title in Tuscaloosa and a few recent Heisman winners (mayfield, sCam...)

I fully expect Barnett to tear up that shit conference

Quote Originally Posted by The Pooh View Post
    Gentlemen, remember this. If these kids were any good, they would be the starters at their former schools. Sure some can mature and evolve into good QB's, but for the most part, they just do not have what it takes to make it.
    complete bullshit. i can name at least 40 guys that weren't starters at their first school that went on to be very successful starters at their 2nd or 3rd school. just named several above and that is barely touching on the amount of guys that excelled after transferring and most did so when dropping down a level in competition like Barnett is doing.

Banned
    If you have to drop down a level, or several levels to compete, then IMO, you are NOT a solid starting QB who could start for anyone. The fact of the matter is that Barnett could NOT make it as a starter for Arizona State, the worst team in the Pac 12 South. Just because a QB transfers to a winning team DOES NOT mean that he made that team a winning team.