Forum: Boxing, UFC, Mixed Martial Arts Forum - Picks, discussion and fighter analysis. This is TheRx's official fighting and combat forum.

Thread: Yoel Romero fails to make championship weight

  1. #1 Yoel Romero fails to make championship weight 
    When you're broke, you Break
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    9,682
    I'm not surprised at all ...



    After two tries, Yoel Romero will not be competing for the UFC middleweight title on Saturday.

    The would-be challenger was granted an extra two hours by the Illinois State Athletic Commission to make weight at Friday’s weigh-ins for UFC 225 in Chicago after coming in heavy on his first attempt for his championship rematch with Robert Whittaker. Clearance from a physician was also required for Romero to attempt a second weigh-in.

    Romero initially weighed in at 186 pounds and he came in at 185.2 pounds on his second attempt, making him ineligible to win the title in Saturday’s main event. It is unclear whether the fight will proceed and if so what conditions will be negotiated by the fighters’ teams.


    He becomes the first fighter in UFC history to miss weight for multiple title fights.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    When you're broke, you Break
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    9,682
    Robert Whittaker is willing to fight Romero tomorrow in a non-title bout ... It’s up to Romero at this point and his team.


    Whittaker's manager Titus Day ...

    “Rob is here to finish Romero and show he’s the best in the world,”

    “Period.”
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    When you're broke, you Break
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    9,682
    Ceremonial weigh-ins start in less than an hour, No official call has been made on the fight yet.

    Romero’s camp still going back and forth ....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    When you're broke, you Break
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    9,682
    Dana White says Whittaker and Romero will still happen


    5 round, non-title main event.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    RX Senior smartmoneyfollower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Georgia .. 5 billion BBQ places , one good pizza place in the entire state
    Posts
    2,430
    Good info..thank you
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    RX Hall of Famer In2Win's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    1,008
    Just read how commission stepped in and stopped his weight cut, I understand safety concerns but let the man get the time he was allotted to cut.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    RX Local
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    31,808
    Quote Originally Posted by In2Win View Post
    Just read how commission stepped in and stopped his weight cut, I understand safety concerns but let the man get the time he was allotted to cut.
    Bullshit dude. The time allotted is the first time he was supposed to weigh in and make weight like a goddamn professional. It's not like he just found out he was fighting tonight.
    Welchers are the worst.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    RX SemiGod MattyMatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    14,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfuego View Post
    Bullshit dude. The time allotted is the first time he was supposed to weigh in and make weight like a goddamn professional. It's not like he just found out he was fighting tonight.
    Well,since you’re a man who seems to like to call out double standards,then this fight surely is one. It’s not the commission,it’s Dana White. The same reason he doesn’t want Romero as champ is the same reason Reem isn’t on the PPV,it’s bad for business and takes money out of his greedy pocket...

    I hope Romero wins,honestly,but in the betting World,it’s a no bet for me (Romero by KO/TKO is the most value IMO,though)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    RX SemiGod MattyMatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    14,379
    How convenient that the UFC is getting rid of the early weigh-ins as well,where Romero clearly makes weight.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    When you're broke, you Break
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    9,682
    Reports were Romero was around 207 on Tuesday.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #11  
    When you're broke, you Break
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    9,682
    Romero will not need to weigh in again today.

    It was not a stipulation put forth by Whittaker's team for tonight's main event to proceed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #12  
    RX SemiGod MattyMatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    14,379
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Knight View Post
    Romero will not need to weigh in again today.

    It was not a stipulation put forth by Whittaker's team for tonight's main event to proceed.
    Why would they care,honestly. Whittaker cuts from the same weight,if not a tad heavier,and they’ll weigh the same basically in the cage tonight,with Whittaker being the fresher fighter from the start.

    Let the War begin...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #13  
    RX Local
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    31,808
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyMatt View Post
    Well,since you’re a man who seems to like to call out double standards,then this fight surely is one. It’s not the commission,it’s Dana White. The same reason he doesn’t want Romero as champ is the same reason Reem isn’t on the PPV,it’s bad for business and takes money out of his greedy pocket...

    I hope Romero wins,honestly,but in the betting World,it’s a no bet for me (Romero by KO/TKO is the most value IMO,though)
    Could not agree more.
    Welchers are the worst.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #14  
    RX Hall of Famer In2Win's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfuego View Post
    Bullshit dude. The time allotted is the first time he was supposed to weigh in and make weight like a goddamn professional. It's not like he just found out he was fighting tonight.
    OK DUDE and I know what it means to have to cut and make a weight

    My issues is that they told him he had 2 hours to make to cut then came in cut him off after an hour.

    Why even tell him he has 2 hours to make the cut.....that was my point. I would say Yoel is a solid as they come, he has taken care of himself and is a freak at his age.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #15  
    When you're broke, you Break
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    9,682
    Yoel got robbed ... 48-47 Romero


    Whittaker was seeing stars in rounds 3, 4, and 5 ... badly rocked in all 3 of those rounds, was on roller stakes for 3 full minutes in Round 3 and got dropped and nearly finished in Round 5

    How do you get dropped 3 times and win??? ... Answer ... not making weight and Dana / UFC punishing you because of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #16  
    When you're broke, you Break
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    9,682
    Feel bad for Romero ... fucked by the commission and judges.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #17  
    When you're broke, you Break
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    9,682
    Dana confirms Whittaker will get the full $100,000 for "Fight of the Night"


    That means Romero has now cost himself $140,000 in bonuses and sponsor pay for missing weight in his past two fights.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #18  
    RX Local
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    31,808
    Quote Originally Posted by In2Win View Post
    OK DUDE and I know what it means to have to cut and make a weight

    My issues is that they told him he had 2 hours to make to cut then came in cut him off after an hour.

    Why even tell him he has 2 hours to make the cut.....that was my point. I would say Yoel is a solid as they come, he has taken care of himself and is a freak at his age.
    But the two hour shit isn't relevant. There are rules and he failed to follow the rules. It's his fault.
    Welchers are the worst.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •