Forum: Boxing, UFC, Mixed Martial Arts Forum - Picks, discussion and fighter analysis. This is TheRx's official fighting and combat forum.

Thread: Featherweight champ Max Holloway out of UFC 226

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Featherweight champ Max Holloway out of UFC 226 
    When you're broke, you Break
    ‘concussion-like symptoms’

Holloway's withdrawal marks the 17th co-main or main event change to the UFC calendar so far in 2018.

It's also the 4th consecutive year International Fight Week has lost a championship bout (and third-straight during fight week).

International Fight Week timeline ...

UFC 189: Aldo pulls out shortly before fight with McGregor

UFC 200: Jones pulled from the card due to an anti-doping violation

UFC 213: Nunes withdraws due to complications with Sinusitis.

UFC 226: Holloway withdraws days prior.

Holloway has now been forced to pull out of his last 3 fights (all in 2018)

UFC 222 (Frankie Edgar)
    UFC 223 (Khabib Nurmagomedov)
    UFC 226 (Brian Ortega)

Holloway’s management team released a statement with details ...

“Max’s team and UFC staff noticed Max was not normal since late last week. This became obvious to many watching his interviews and public appearances the past few days.

“He was showing concussion-like symptoms before he even started his weight cut and was rushed to the ER on Monday where they admitted him overnight. Initial scans seemed okay, and he was released Tuesday afternoon, but symptoms still continued.

“Max fought with his team to continue with the fight. He showed some improvement over the next day but was still showing obvious symptoms. After open workouts, he crashed and was very hard to wake up. When he did, he had flashing vision and slurred speech.

“He is now back in the ER for further tests.”

According to Raphael Marinho of Combate, there will not be a replacement for Holloway

RX Local
    Sucks...Had Holloway -150 ready to go.

Just thought the striking gap was too big.

An official close to the situation said that Holloway / Ortega could be shifted to the main event at Staples Center for UFC 227 Aug. 4 depending on Holloway’s health.

RX Local
    3 title fights on 1 card would be cool

Sure would be but I'm not holding my breath, there is something really wrong with him, he was very low energy / spaced out at open workouts and when asked about it he pretty much shrugged if off and ignored the questions. Bisping recently called him out on UFC tonight for looking and sounding a bit off. Could be the vicious weight cuts ... Could be all the punches adding up ... Could be both ... A month turnaround might be too soon with these problems

RX Local
    True, didn't see any of that.

Seems like there won't be any male title fights after early Aug until like November (Cov vs Woodley)

Weird. Could become more common if they're gonna put 2 title fights on cards more, which I do like.

I like it too

Cut out the hard sparring. It’s all his fault,nobody has railed him yet for it. Wish him a speedy recovery,though.

I was against everyone here,had Ortega by stoppage easily in the 1st or 2nd round. Max has been off for me for awhile now,and honestly,don’t know if his future is so bright.

Anyways,this sucks...

RX Local
    I never bought the "Blessed Era" hype around him. Just thought he was the best in the division with McGregor moving to LW and Aldo getting old. Came in at the right time.

Did think his standup is vastly superior to both Ortega and Edgar though.

Either 1 of you got any opinions on the main event? Looking forward to it but doubt I bet it.

Just seems like Stipe being younger, bigger and hitting harder is going to be a lot to overcome.

No opinion on the Main Event. Ortega and Ortega ITD were my bread and butter. May try to capitalize on a few others small...

Ask Anotherday,he’s the true heavyweight King who very rarely loses,although somehow,never post plays...lol

Francis Ngannou vs. Derrick Lewis is the new co-main event for UFC 226.

Felder vs. Platinum Perry will move to the UFC 226 main card

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMatt View Post
    No opinion on the Main Event. Ortega and Ortega ITD were my bread and butter. May try to capitalize on a few others small...

Ask Anotherday,he’s the true heavyweight King who very rarely loses,although somehow,never post plays...lol
    He's something like 107-2 on unposted plays ... Tremendous run for somebody that knows zero about MMA.

Moments ago ...

"Some people think it is concussion-related, some people think it is weight-cut related ... There's no way this guy is going to fight anytime soon." - Dana White on Holloway

Press conference wrapped and Cormier apparently tripped over something and went down hard. Limped off the stage ......

You can't make this shit up

RX Local
    Dana said Ortega turned down Stephens as a replacement. Don't blame him really, not like he needed to do it to save the card as their fight wasn't the ME.

At first the UFC tried to make Frankie vs. Stephens for interim featherweight title but it was too short of notice for Edgar. I'm with you, I don't blame Ortega at all turning down Stephens, no reason to take a risk on a lesser opponent.

I also hate this garbage with interim belts and glad the original back-up plan didn't work out.

IMO where stuff starts to get out of hand with this organization is 2 fighters NOT named Ortega were being discussed for an Interim Title ... If that fight happened that winner would get Holloway while the real challenger stands there with his dick in his hand.

Everybody made weight except for Chiesa

FYI ...

Alexander Volkov weighs in as a back-up fighter for DC vs Miocic in case disaster strikes ... He weighs in a 236

Looking gaunt, unbalanced, and extremely drained, Chiesa stepped on the scale at 157.5 pounds, missing the mark for a lightweight non-title fight by 1.5 pounds. After missing weight, Chiesa announced that he was done at lightweight and would not fight there again.

“This will be my last fight at 155, screw that,” Chiesa said before stepping off the scale.

Pettis came in at 156 ... If he agrees to a catch weight bout, Chiesa would likely forfeit 20-percent of his fight purse to Pettis.

Negotiations for that fight are going on right now ...

RX Local
    I think that division has basically passed Pettis by but guess you gotta avoid betting it now that Chiesa missed weight so badly and appears to have had a very tough cut.

If Pettis wins then he might be a good fade in his next fight. I just don't think he can compete with most of the top 10 guys.