Ranking all 32 offensive lines for fantasy production

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Ranking all 32 offensive lines for fantasy production

KC Joyner
ESPN INSIDER

The fantasy football world has long had a significant gap in measuring the impact that blocking has on fantasy production.Last season, I aimed to help close that gap via the introduction of a new blocking rankings system that used a variety of metrics to project future blocking performance.

This season's blocking projections use a very similar methodology to that of last year, but they include the value of all returning offensive linemen snaps (as opposed to only starters and top backups in last year's measurements) and provide additional value for impactful offseason personnel moves. The schedule analysis also has been color-grade adjusted, with a green-rated matchup indicating a highly favorable opponent in that category and a red-rated matchup indicating an unfavorable foe. A chart including a full breakdown of each team's scheduled matchups and their color rating is included below.

Now that we have the preliminaries out of the way, let's take a look at how each team's blockers are slated to impact fantasy football scoring during the 2018 season.

i
1. New Orleans Saints<strike></strike>

Overall grade: A-
Pass blocking: A-
Run blocking: A-
Stability/consistency: A
Schedule: D+

Alvin Kamara's fantasy coaches might have concerns about a sophomore slump, but those worries should be largely offset by the best blocking wall in the NFL. New Orleans was one of only two teams to register A-level grades in pass blocking, run blocking and stability/consistency. The schedule does present some upside concerns, as the Saints have only two green-rated rush-defense or pass-rush matchups all season.

i
2. Atlanta Falcons
Schedule: F

Atlanta's blocking wall is the model of stability and consistency in large part because the Falcons return 100 percent of their offensive line snaps from the 2017 campaign. That should help Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and Devonta Freeman get closer to the elite fantasy form they showed in 2016, yet there are matchup concerns against the third-toughest schedule in the league.

i
3. Los Angeles Rams
Pass blocking: B+
Run blocking: A
Stability/consistency: A-
Schedule: D-

The Rams bring back all five starters from an offensive line that led this team to rank third in good blocking rate (GBR, a measure of run-blocking consistency) last season (49.1 percent). This is part of why Todd Gurley is rightfully giving Le'Veon Bell a run for his money as the top fantasy running back in average draft position (ADP). Let's not forget about the B-plus pass-blocking grade, as it should propel Jared Goff back to his borderline QB1 production rate and could allow vertical threat Brandin Cooks to outperform his borderline WR2/WR3 ADP.

<offer></offer>
i
4. Tennessee Titans
Overall grade: B+
Run blocking: B
Schedule: B+

The Titans' fantasy prospects have fallen short of their upside potential over the past couple of seasons, but that might change in 2018. The elite blocking grades will allow new offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur to implement his highly aggressive passing attack that could vault Marcus Mariota, Delanie Walker and Corey Davis to their fantasy production ceilings. Add in a rush-defense schedule that is tied for the most favorable in the NFL and it means Derrick Henry and Dion Lewis are both undervalued in many fantasy drafts.

i
5. New England Patriots
Overall grade: B+
Run blocking: B+
Stability/consistency: B

The Patriots lost starti

ng tackle Nate Solder and ranked 20th in returning offensive line snaps (74 percent), yet still earned a B grade in stability/consistency. That is a tribute to legendary offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia. His coaching skills should allow fantasy coaches to continue to rely on elite vertical pass production from Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski, but don't overlook a 47.9 percent GBR that ranked fourth best last season. That latter ability makes Rex Burkhead an undervalued player in many fantasy drafts.

i
6. Philadelphia Eagles
Overall grade: B
Pass blocking: C
Schedule: A-

The Eagles return the third-highest percentage of offensive line snaps (99.3). Their pass-blocking grade could improve by a lot if 36-year-old Jason Peters returns to his nine-time Pro Bowl form after missing most of last season with a torn ACL and MCL. An A-minus-caliber schedule gives significant upside to Carson Wentz, Jay Ajayi and Alshon Jeffery, yet don't forget about Mike Wallace. He placed 38th in wide receiver fantasy points last year by ranking tied for 15th in vertical YPA (12.9 on aerials thrown 11 or more yards downfield), and he could rate even higher in this offense.

i
7. Pittsburgh Steelers
Stability/consistency: B-

The Steelers' offensive line took a backward step last season, yet still rated first in pass pressure rate (PPR) allowed (18.5 percent), third in quarterback contact rate (QCR) (6.6 percent) and fifth in GBR (47.1). Add that to Pittsburgh returning the eighth-highest percentage of offensive line snaps (85.1) and it keeps this blocking wall rated as a top-10 group headed into 2018. The biggest impediment is an F schedule rating, a factor that adds considerable risk to fantasy coaches considering selecting Le'Veon Bell first overall or Ben Roethlisberger as a QB1.

i
8. Dallas Cowboys
Schedule: B-

Ezekiel Elliott's per rush production drop-off last year was the result of his ranking tied for 44th in my good blocking yards per attempt (GBYPA) metric and not due to the Cowboys A-rated run blocking. Dallas' blockers should continue to give him elite assistance, so look for Zeke to return to his 2016 form. The Cowboys' passing game has more issues than an unproven receiving corps, as the C-grade in pass blocking indicates Dak Prescott will have to rely more than ever on his rushing ability for fantasy production.

i
9. Chicago Bears
Run blocking: C+
Stability/consistency: B+
Schedule: A

New head coach and playcaller Matt Nagy will benefit from the return of four starters from last year's offensive line. That group ranked 10th in my good blocking productivity (GBP) metric that measures overall run-blocking effectiveness, so getting this year's run-blocking grade into the B level is a reasonable goal. The schedule will provide ample upside blocking opportunities, as the Bears have four green-rated run defense matchups and five green-rated pass rushing matchups. Those could vault Jordan Howard into RB1 contention and mitigates some of the risk in selecting Allen Robinson as a WR2.

i
10. Jacksonville Jaguars
Pass blocking: B-
Run blocking: C

Fantasy coaches looking for low cost high-ceiling players should keep an eye on the Jaguars. Jacksonville has an A schedule grade here to go along with the most favorable pass coverage schedule in the league. Since their run blocking doesn't grade out as well as their pass blocking and Jacksonville's rush-defense schedule rates in the middle of the road, the Jaguars could lean on their pass game a lot more this year. That upside potential makes Blake Bortles, Marqise Lee, Dede Westbrook and Donte Moncrief very undervalued at their current ADP levels.

i
11. Carolina Panthers
Overall grade: B-
Pass blocking: C+
Stability/consistency: D
Schedule: C

The Panthers posted dominant run-blocking metrics last season, placing first in GBR (49.3), first in yards gained before first defensive contact (YBCT) (2.8) and third in GBP (3.8). That trend does bode well for an increase in C.J. Anderson's value well above its current RB5 level, but it is somewhat offset by the loss of All-Pro guard Andrew Norwell to free agency and a knee injury that will keep Daryl Williams out of the lineup until October. The C-plus pass-blocking grade isn't a perfect fit for a Norv Turner's vertical passing offense and could cap the fantasy production ceiling for Cam Newton and Devin Funchess.

i
12. Minnesota Vikings
Stability/consistency: D+

Kirk Cousins ranked second in the league in vertical touchdown passes over the past two seasons (29). Minnesota's B-plus pass-blocking grade was generated in part due to ranking eighth in average time in the pass pocket last year (2.4 seconds), so Cousins could replicate his downfield success and keep Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs at or near their superb 2017 fantasy production levels. The main caveat here is the Vikings ranked 26th in returning offensive line snaps (60.6 percent) and currently have three offensive line starters battling injuries, so their overall grade could drop if those health issues aren't positively resolved.

i
13. San Francisco 49ers
Run blocking: B-
Stability/consistency: C+
Schedule: A-

The 49ers didn't post dominant metrics last year, but the additions of center Weston Richburg and guard Jonathan Cooper in free agency and guard Mike McGlinchey in the draft have pushed this group to the border of top-10 status headed into this season. The A-minus schedule is the result of having only three red-rated rush-defense or pass-rush matchups all season long, so look for Jimmy Garoppolo, Jerick McKinnon and Marquise Goodwin to be very consistent fantasy point producers this year.

i
14. Green Bay Packers
Pass blocking: D-

Green Bay's blocking wall should get a big shot in the arm soon, as right tackle Bryan Bulaga is on pace to return by Week 1 after recovering from an ACL injury. The blocking grades would strongly suggest that the Packers should return to leaning on the ground game for short gains That would add value to Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams, yet the schedule has six green-rated pass-rush matchups, so Davante Adams should earn WR1 fantasy value as this team's vertical receiving threat.

i
15. Kansas City Chiefs
Overall grade: C+
Pass blocking: C-
Stability/consistency: B

Last year, the Chiefs ranked higher in pass attempts than rush attempts for the first time in the Andy Reid era. They might be tempted to go that route again with Patrick Mahomes under center, but the much higher run-blocking grade and a schedule that has three red-rated pass-rush matchups in the first seven weeks of the year points toward leaning on the vast skills of Kareem Hunt much more often early in the 2018 campaign. The pass-blocking issues also could make it difficult for Tyreek Hill to replicate his 141.3 fantasy points on vertical throws, a total that was fourth best among wide receivers last season.

i
16. Washington Redskins
Run blocking: D-

Washington is one of the tougher teams to grade. It had only three offensive linemen start 10 or more games last season, but the Redskins bring back all five starters from a blocking wall that is capable of posting much better metrics than they did last season. Washington did place 12th in TIP (2.3) and thus could allow Alex Smith enough time to repeat his superb vertical passing production from last year (127.8 fantasy points, ranked third). The rush-defense schedule could be a major impediment, as there are no green-rated matchups and four red-rated matchups.

i
17. Cleveland Browns
Pass blocking: D+

The Browns lost future Pro Football Hall of Fame left tackle Joe Thomas to retirement, yet they return four starters from an offensive line that ranked seventh in YBCT last year (2.6). That run-blocking prowess increases the fantasy value of Carlos Hyde and Nick Chubb, but the subpar pass blocking could hinder Josh Gordon's value if or when he returns to the team. The schedule represents a major speed bump, as Cleveland has the lowest schedule-rating score on this list.

i
18. Baltimore Ravens
Overall grade: C
Run blocking: C+
Stability/consistency: D-

Inconsistent metrics and the losses of center Ryan Jensen and tackle Austin Howard to free agency resulted in a D-minus in stability/consistency. Baltimore does get six-time Pro Bowl guard Marshal Yanda back after he missed all but two games last year due to injury, an addition that could lead to improved run blocking for Alex Collins and Javorius Allen. The Ravens placed fifth in PPR (22.1) and fourth in QCR (6.7) last year, so Joe Flacco could have ample pass protection, which would increase the value of Michael Crabtree if that trend repeats.

i
19. Cincinnati Bengals
Schedule: C

The Bengals' blockers took a lot of rightful grief last season, but this group actually placed seventh in GBR (45.1). The additions of powerhouse center Billy Price in the draft and the trade for left tackle Cordy Glenn should allow Cincinnati to continue that superb run blocking, so Joe Mixon has a good chance of outperforming his mid-tier RB2 ADP.

i
20. Detroit Lions

Injuries forced the Lions to have 12 offensive linemen start at least one game last season, so improved health alone could allow for much better blocking in 2018. Fantasy coaches looking for upside value can see the A schedule grade, as Detroit faces four green-rated rush-defense matchups and six green-rated pass-rush matchups. Those should offset a No. 27 ranking in GBR last year (38.4) and somewhat raise the fantasy ceilings for LeGarrette Blount and Kerryon Johnson.

i
21. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Pass blocking: C+
Run blocking: D

Tampa Bay placed last in GBP (2.7) and 25th in YBCT (2.1) in 2017. The Buccaneers added center Ryan Jensen in free agency and moved Ali Marpet to guard, but the subpar run blocking could still hinder Ronald Jones and Peyton Barber's fantasy production. Jameis Winston's predilection for throwing a ton of vertical passes will test any blocking wall, and a C-plus grade might not be good enough for Winston to excel when he returns from suspension. There are only three green-rated matchups in rush defense or pass rush all season long, so built-in upside opportunities will be limited.

i
22. Los Angeles Chargers

Philip Rivers was a top-10 fantasy quarterback last year in part due to the Chargers placing first in sack rate allowed (3.0) and QC (3.9). The Chargers bring back three starters and a primary backup from last year's offensive line squad, they return 2017 second-round draft pick Forrest Lamp to the lineup after missing last year with an injury and they add Mike Pouncey in via free agency, so Rivers should be able to count on similar pass-blocking prowess. The same cannot be said for the ground game, as this group was largely responsible for a 37.9 percent GBR that ranked 28th last season and is part of why Melvin Gordon is on the borderline of RB1 and RB2 status.

i
23. New York Jets

The Jets return four starters from last year's offensive line, and they added center Spencer Long in free agency. That helped lead to the B-minus in stability/consistency, but those players also were to blame for the Jets ranking last in TIP (2.2) and GBR (34.1). It is part of why Isaiah Crowell is stuck at the border of RB3 and RB4 level in most fantasy draft rooms. A silver lining is the most favorable schedule grade in this analysis, with six green-rated rush-defense matchups, so Crowell has legitimate RB2 upside.

i
24. Oakland Raiders

It's still a mystery why the Raiders didn't pass vertically more often last year, as Derek Carr ranked 15th in vertical pass attempts (159), despite Oakland placing third in PPR (20.4). The Silver and Black return four starting offensive linemen and now have Jon Gruden calling the plays, so look for Carr to send the ball downfield to Jordy Nelson and Amari Cooper early and often and increase their respective fantasy values. The D-minus in run blocking is part of why Marshawn Lynch should stay at his current borderline RB2/RB3 ADP.

i
25. New York Giants
Run blocking: C-

Big Blue ranked 29th in GBR last year (37.8), a pace that caused them to retool the offensive line by acquiring left tackle Nate Solder, moving Ereck Flowers to right tackle and drafting guard Will Hernandez in the second round of the 2018 NFL draft. Those moves should afford Saquon Barkley better run blocking than the Giants backs had last year, yet he likely will still have worse blocking than any of the other upper-tier RB1s.

i
26. Buffalo Bills

Powerhouse run blocking led Buffalo to rank second in YBCT last season (2.8), but the loss of two starters from that group clouds visions of a repeat performance. The schedule should help the personnel transition, as Buffalo has five green-rated rush-defense matchups on its 2018 schedule. Those favorable matchups could open the door for LeSean McCoy to return to an RB1 production level that would outpace his current mid-tier RB2 ADP.

i
27. Arizona Cardinals
Overall grade: C-
Stability/consistency: C-

The Cardinals return the lowest percentage of offensive line snaps (37.7 percent) and recently lost starting center A.Q. Shipley to a season-ending injury. There is potential for pass-blocking improvement with the additions of Justin Pugh and Andre Smith in free agency, but not enough to make Sam Bradford a viable fantasy QB. Four green-rated rush-defense matchups are the key to the B-plus schedule and offer upside potential for David Johnson.

i
28. Indianapolis Colts
Overall grade: D+
Pass blocking: D
Run blocking: D
Stability/consistency: C
Schedule: B

Give the Colts credit for addressing this weakness, as Indianapolis selected guards Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith in the draft and acquired guard Matt Slauson in free agency. That should upgrade the Colts 36.9 percent PPR that rated last in the league, yet it's unrealistic to expect huge improvement from this inconsistent group. It is a concern for fantasy coaches betting on Andrew Luck's return to elite form and also adds more uncertainty to those considering drafting one of the committee of running backs in the Indianapolis backfield.

i
29. Houston Texans
Run blocking: C-
Schedule: B-

Deshaun Watson's knee injury isn't the only potential impediment to his returning to elite production levels, as Houston's offensive line went through a complete overhaul. The Texans brought back only one starter from that group and placed next to last in percentage of returning offensive lineman snaps (39.2). Watson has the scrambling skills to overcome this, but the potential for extra hits could test his durability and adds risk to his upper-tier QB1 ceiling.

i
30. Denver Broncos

About the best thing that can be said about this blocking wall is that the Broncos return 84.9 percent of their offensive line snaps, a total that ranks ninth best. That might not be a plus, given that Denver ranked 24th in GBR (38.8), 23rd in PPR (30.7) and 25th in TIP (2.3) last season. The Devontae Booker vs. Royce Freeman battle for carries is already limiting their upside, and the subpar blocking grade lowers that ceiling even more.

i
31. Seattle Seahawks
Pass blocking: D+
Stability/consistency: C-

Seattle has been going all out of late to try to improve their blocking wall with personnel changes and an offensive line coaching change. The issue is that the Seahawks return four starters from last year's blocking wall that ranked 30th in GBR (37.2) and 31st in PPR (36.3). The change to a man blocking system could improve the rushing grade, yet this area still has to be seen as a speed bump for the fantasy values of Rashaad Penny and Chris Carson.

i
32. Miami Dolphins
Overall grade: D
Pass blocking: B-
Run blocking: F

This might have been the worst run-blocking offensive line in the NFL in 2017, as Miami placed last in YBCT (1.7) and 31st in GBR (35.2). The additions of Josh Sitton and Daniel Kilgore in free agency could help here, but the Dolphins still project near the bottom of the league in run blocking. That is an anchor on the fantasy values of Kenyan Drake, Frank Gore and Kalen Ballage.

[h=3]Team-by-team schedule breakdown[/h]
[h=3][/h]<aside class="inline inline-with-table"><header class="inline-header">[h=1]Rushing matchups for each team[/h]
Each team's matchups are graded on a red/yellow/green color scale, where red indicates a difficult matchup, yellow signifies a mid-tier opponent and green equals a favorable matchup. Those grades are then weighed and converted into the matchup points total, with a higher number indicating a more favorable set of matchups.

</header>
TeamRedYellowGreenMatchup points
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
</aside><aside class="inline inline-with-table"><header class="inline-header">[h=1]Passing matchups for each team[/h]
Each team's matchups are graded on a red/yellow/green color scale, where red indicates a difficult matchup, yellow signifies a mid-tier opponent and green equals a favorable matchup. Those grades are then weighed and converted into the matchup points total, with a higher number indicating a more favorable set of matchups.

</header>
TeamRedYellowGreenMatchup points
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
</aside><strike></strike>
<strike></strike>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybone34
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com