Wednesday 10/31/2018 ... Comps / Bonus Plays / Trends / Betting Info / Requests Etc

Search
Tokens
NBA Previews 30th October 2018 by Gracenote
by Gracenote on 10/30/2018

Jimmy Butler remains intent on leaving the Minnesota Timberwolves but his ability to put up strong performances may again be needed during Wednesday's home contest against the Utah Jazz. Butler scored 32 points for his second 30-point outing of the campaign when Minnesota notched a 124-120 win over the Los Angeles Lakers on Monday.

Butler is averaging 22.5 points, 5.3 rebounds and 3.0 steals despite his trade request drama overshadowing the team's play. "It's basketball," Butler told reporters. "I don't think nothing that has gone on before this game has anything to do with us going out there and competing. We all go out there and play together, play to win - with or without what is going on." Utah is looking to complete a sweep of a four-game road trip - it won the first three by an average of 13.7 points - and is thriving behind a balanced attack in which seven players are averaging more than nine points per game. "We're not about our starters, we are not about our bench and we are not about any one player," Jazz coach Quin Snyder told reporters.

TV: 8 p.m. ET, A&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain (Utah), FS North (Minnesota)

ABOUT THE JAZZ (4-2): Center Rudy Gobert has opened the season with six straight double-doubles and is averaging 17.7 points, 13.5 rebounds and 2.7 blocked shots. "I want to show that I'm not only a defensive star," Gobert told reporters about the rise in his offensive game. "I can be a star offensively, too." Shooting guard Donovan Mitchell is the team's star and he is averaging 22.8 points and has reached at least 20 points in three straight games and four times overall.

ABOUT THE TIMBERWOLVES (3-4): Center Karl-Anthony Towns notched his second double-double of the campaign by recording 25 points and 16 rebounds against Lakers. Towns, who led the NBA with 68 double-doubles last season, got off to a slow start this season and scored 17 or fewer points in five of Minnesota's first six games. Small forward Andrew Wiggins (quadriceps) could miss his fourth straight game and his absence would again be at least partially plugged by rookie Josh Okogie, who scored a season-best 17 points against Los Angeles.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. The teams split four meetings last season.

2. Utah PF Derrick Favors (knee) is expected to return after a one-game absence, while SF Jae Crowder (ankle) is probable after injuring an ankle in Sunday's 113-104 win over the Dallas Mavericks.

3. Minnesota PG Jeff Teague is 4-of-22 shooting over the past two games, missing all nine 3-point attempts.

PREDICTION: Jazz 108, Timberwolves 104

Tokens
Nuggets vs. Bulls Preview and Predictions

The Chicago Bulls followed up their best defensive game of the young season with one of the worst defensive performances in franchise history. The Bulls will try to settle into some consistency at that end of the floor when they host the Denver Nuggets on Wednesday.

Chicago earned a 97-85 win at Atlanta on Saturday that marked a season low for points allowed but was shredded 149-124 at home by the Golden State Warriors on Monday - the most points allowed in a home game in franchise history. "It's unacceptable to start the game like that, especially against the defending champs," Bulls guard Zach LaVine told reporters after watching the Warriors open a 92-50 lead at the half. "We have to have better energy, better toughness. We just didn't have it. It's on us. They played the way they were supposed to." Denver's offense isn't quite as explosive as Golden State's, but it is plenty capable of putting up some big numbers. The Nuggets, who handed the Warriors their only loss so far this season, bounced back from their first setback by knocking off the New Orleans Pelicans 116-111 on Monday.

TV: 8 p.m. ET, Altitude (Denver), NBCS Chicago

ABOUT THE NUGGETS (5-1): Guards Gary Harris and Jamal Murray combined for 46 points and seven steals in Monday's win, and Harris believes this Denver squad is destined for more than the team that just missed out on the playoffs last season. "We have a lot of energy right now," Harris told reporters. "The vibe around the team is different this year, especially playing last year ... I think y'all can feel it, we can feel it, everybody can feel it. It's just a different vibe around the team." The Nuggets are built around center Nikola Jokic, who scored a season-low 12 points on Monday but came up just shy of a triple-double with 10 assists and nine rebounds.

ABOUT THE BULLS (2-5): Chicago allowed Warriors guard Klay Thompson to set an NBA record with 14 made 3-pointers in the rout and watched Golden State shoot 55.2 percent from the floor. "The disappointing thing is the lack of edge we played with to allow them to get comfortable and get confidence and get going," Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg told reporters. "When they hit us in the mouth, we didn't respond well. It's pretty simple: We got our (butt) kicked." The Bulls can find a positive in the play of rookie power forward Wendell Carter Jr., who scored a season-high 18 points in his second straight double-figure outing.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Nuggets PF Trey Lyles scored a season-high 17 points off the bench on Monday - his third straight game scoring in double figures.

2. LaVine scored 21 points on Monday and either led or tied for the team lead in scoring in each of the first seven games.

3. Denver took the last five in the series, including a 135-102 triumph at Chicago in the lone visit last season.

PREDICTION: Nuggets 111, Bulls 110

Tokens
Pacers vs. Knicks Preview and Predictions

The Indiana Pacers are trying to build some consistency on offense and stumbled at home in a loss to the Portland Trail Blazers on Monday. The Pacers will try to bounce back and move the ball more when they begin a two-game trip by visiting the New York Knicks on Wednesday.

Indiana averaged 117.5 points in wins at San Antonio and Cleveland last week but was held to 41.1 percent shooting in a 103-93 home loss to the Trail Blazers. "You're playing against a really good defensive team and they're making you move with their actions," Pacers point guard Darren Collison told reporters. "We're getting there, we're starting to become a really good offensive team and (coach) Nate (McMillan) has done a good job telling us to continue to move the ball. We just missed some easy shots, sometimes nights are going to be like that and it just wasn't our night." The Knicks are trying to build a winning culture with a young team and snapped a five-game slide with a 115-96 win over the Brooklyn Nets on Monday. "Just to keep your guys encouraged that's what they're doing, there's some fruits to that labor -- you want them to feel that joy of victory," New York coach David Fizdale told reporters. "For me, it's just relief. But you want them to see that all the hard work they're putting in is turning into something for them. We understand that this league is going to be unforgiving to us, but we want to try to get every win we can."

TV: 8 p.m. ET, ESPN, FS Indiana, MSG (New York)

ABOUT THE PACERS (4-3): All-Star guard Victor Oladipo collected 21 points, nine rebounds and seven assists on Monday but was 9-of-24 from the floor after going a combined 17-of-27 at San Antonio and Cleveland. "We just missed shots," Oladipo told reporters. "Even our open looks, we missed them. Just a tough night offensively." The exception to that rule was Collison, who went 8-of-14 from the floor en route to a season-high 17 points and is 13-of-22 in the last two contests after shooting 3-of-13 in the previous two games.

ABOUT THE KNICKS (2-5): Shooting guard Tim Hardaway Jr. led the way with 25 points, eight assists and five rebounds on Monday and is impressing his coach with his growth. "I'm proud of him," Fizdale told reporters of Hardaway. "He knows that this year is going to be an up and down year for us, a growing year. But his growth and what he's trying to take to heart is, how do I become a star? How do I become a go-to guy? What's the next step? What is the responsibility for that? That's why I'm really on him about defending. I think you can see he's competing." Hardaway, 26, is averaging 24.4 points after putting up 17.5 in his first season with New York last year.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Pacers PF Domantas Sabonis is 15-of-21 from the field in the last three games.

2. Knicks C Enes Kanter recorded his fifth double-double with 15 points and 15 rebounds on Monday.

3. Indiana is looking for its first win at New York since April 3, 2016.

PREDICTION: Pacers 112, Knicks 105

Tokens
Mavericks vs. Lakers Preview and Predictions

LeBron James is getting tired of losing games and he hopes the Los Angeles Lakers can begin a turnaround when they host the Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday. The James era started with five setbacks in seven games and three of the losses were by four or fewer points.

James had 29 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists in Monday's 124-120 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves but shaky defense and 18 turnovers derailed the Lakers' hopes. "We've got to get better. We know that," James told reporters. "We talk about patience, but we can't have reoccurrence of doing the same things over and over and over again and expecting a different result. That's insanity." The Mavericks are also struggling with four consecutive defeats and they committed a season-worst 23 turnovers in Monday's 113-108 overtime loss to the San Antonio Spurs. "When you go and play against a team like the Lakers, who is a fast breaking team who likes to get out in transition, we can't have 23 turnovers again," forward Harrison Barnes told reporters. "I'm glad the way we competed. It's unfortunate we lost it right at the end."

TV: 10:30 p.m. ET, FS Southwest (Dallas), Spectrum SportsNet (Los Angeles)

ABOUT THE MAVERICKS (2-5): Rookie forward Luka Doncic was superb in the loss to the Spurs with 31 points on 11-of-18 shooting, including 4-of-6 from 3-point range. The No. 3 overall pick played 40 minutes in the contest and also had eight rebounds and four assists, and the 19-year-old is highly anticipating the game against the Lakers. "I'm going to play against my idol," the native of Slovenia told reporters, speaking of James. "I can't wait for that game."

ABOUT THE LAKERS (2-5): Point guard Lonzo Ball strung together back-to-back lackluster outings in which he averaged five points, two assists and 1.5 rebounds while making 4-of-14 shots. Ball, who is currently starting ahead of veteran Rajon Rondo, said he needs to be more engaged and said he just isn't doing his job, something coach Luke Walton doesn't dispute. "There's different techniques, and we try them all," Walton told reporters. "Whether it's being hard on him, encouraging him, running more plays for him. We see it. It's just something where he's a young point guard and we will continue to monitor and work on with him."

BUZZER BEATERS

1. The Lakers went 3-1 against the Mavericks last season after Dallas won the previous 14 meetings.

2. Los Angeles SF Brandon Ingram scored a season-best 24 points against Minnesota in his return from a four-game suspension.

3. Dallas backup PG Devin Harris (hamstring) is expected to miss his seventh straight game.

PREDICTION: Lakers 118, Mavericks 112

Tokens
Spurs vs. Suns Preview and Predictions

The San Antonio Spurs are coming together as a revamped team as they enter Wednesday's road contest against the Phoenix Suns. The Spurs were fractured last season when the Kawhi Leonard drama sabotaged the squad but feel more camaraderie now that Leonard was dealt to the Toronto Raptors.

Star guard DeMar DeRozan was acquired in the Leonard deal and he poured in 34 points as the Spurs gutted out a 113-108 overtime win over the Dallas Mavericks on Monday. "I think we have a bunch of guys that are competitive and have the same goal, that's to win," power forward LaMarcus Aldridge told reporters. "I feel like that's not something hard to ask. I feel like every guy is trying to do what they can to make wins." Phoenix isn't finding many victories and has lost five straight after falling 117-110 to the Oklahoma City Thunder on Sunday. Star shooting guard Devin Booker (hamstring) is in danger of missing his third straight contest.

TV: 10:30 p.m. ET, ESPN, CW35 (San Antonio), FS Arizona (Phoenix)

ABOUT THE SPURS (4-2): DeRozan is averaging 28.3 points and eight assists through six games with his new club and he is already operating as the closer in tight fourth-quarter contests. "He's a really good player and he loves those moments," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich told reporters of DeRozan. "He's not afraid of failure. You know, Michael (Jordan) didn't make every shot at the end of the game, but there are very, very few people who want to be in that position all the time and (DeRozan's) one of those people who loves it. It's good to have that." Small forward Rudy Gay has posted three consecutive double-doubles for the first time in his career.

ABOUT THE SUNS (1-5): Booker, who is averaging 27.8 points, is listed as doubtful due to the injury he suffered on Oct. 24 against the Los Angeles Lakers. Phoenix is losing by an average of 18.8 points during the five-game skid and has allowed at least 117 points in each contest. No. 1 overall pick Deandre Ayton has recorded four double-doubles and three 20-point outings in his first six NBA games and is averaging 17.5 points and 10.3 rebounds.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. The Spurs won all four of last season's meetings and prevailed in 13 of the past 14 matchups.

2. Aldridge is just 18-of-51 from the field over the past three games.

3. Phoenix PG Isaiah Canaan (ankle) will be a game-time decision after being injured in Sunday's game.

PREDICTION: Spurs 121, Suns 117

Tokens
Pelicans vs. Warriors Preview and Predictions

Klay Thompson began the season in a massive shooting slump, but it only took one game to break out in a big way. Thompson will try to follow up a record-breaking performance as the Golden State Warriors return home to host the New Orleans Pelicans on Wednesday.

Thompson, who went 5-of-36 from beyond the arc in the first six games, buried an NBA-record 14 3-pointers and scored 52 points in a 149-124 win at the Chicago Bulls on Monday. "It's the best feeling," Thompson told reporters of finding his shooting stroke. "Something I haven't felt in the first six, seven games. To snap out of a slump with the record, I couldn't ask for a better way to do it. And I'm just going to continue this momentum on Wednesday, and it's one of the best feelings in basketball when you touch the ball and feel like it's going in every time." The Pelicans might have to stop Golden State without their best defender if star forward Anthony Davis (elbow) is forced to miss a third straight game. New Orleans got off to a 4-0 start with Davis leading the way but dropped the last two contests without him in the lineup.

TV: 10:30 p.m. FS New Orleans, NBCS Bay Area (Golden State)

ABOUT THE PELICANS (4-2): New Orleans coach Alvin Gentry refused to blame the absence of his superstar for a 116-111 loss at Denver on Monday in which his team turned the ball over 22 times. "I don't think it's ever understandable to turn the ball over 22 times," Gentry told reporters. "I think what happened is that some of our turnovers came because we were trying to play in really tight, confined spaces. Against that team, you can't do that." Five of those turnovers belonged to reserve power forward Julius Randle, who otherwise played a solid game with 24 points, eight rebounds and six assists in 27 minutes.

ABOUT THE WARRIORS (7-1): Golden State leads the NBA in team field-goal percentage (52.3) and assists (29.6), and coach Steve Kerr remains in awe of the unselfish nature of his team." I can't even tell you how lucky I am and how I feel every night just watching these guys and how unselfish they are," Kerr told reporters. "They basically take turns, they encourage each other, they want each other to do well, and we have all this talent, but the key is these guys are committed to each other, they play hard for each other, and they want each other to have success, and that's why it works, and it's been amazing to be along for the ride." Thompson broke the record of 13 set on Nov. 7, 2016 by teammate Stephen Curry, who went 13-of-17 in a 116-106 home win over New Orleans.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Pelicans PG Elfrid Payton (ankle) sat out Monday and is day-to-day.

2. Warriors PG Shaun Livingston (foot) missed the last two games and is questionable to play Wednesday.

3. The teams are meeting for the first time since Golden State knocked New Orleans out 4-1 in last season's Western Conference semifinals.

PREDICTION: Warriors 133, Pelican 121

Tokens
Ball State Cardinals vs. Toledo Rockets Preview and Predictions 10-31-2018 in NCAAF

NCAAF Previews 30th October 2018 By Charles Jay for Scores And Stats
by Charles Jay Scores & Stats on 10/30/2018

The Ball State Cardinals lost twice last time out. They not only got beaten 52-14 by Ohio, but they lost their starting quarterback as well. So now they will have to engage with one of the more explosive teams in the Mid-American Conference with a much less experienced signal-caller.

And the Toledo Rockets, who were coming off a dreadful second half in their loss to Buffalo, really found themselves on the offensive side of the ball in their last outing, although they also have some questions to answer at the quarterback spot.

Toledo will most likely be going to some kind of bowl game when all is said and done. But Ball State will have to win all three of its remaining games to be eligible.

These teams meet up at the Glass Bowl on Wednesday night on ESPN2.

TV: ESPN2, 7:30 PM ET. LINE: Toledo -18

ABOUT BALL STATE: It was thoroughly disappointing to the Cardinals (3-6 SU, 4-5 ATS) to have lost 52-14 to the Ohio Bobcats last time out, giving up 31 points in the second quarter, along with 411 yards rushing and 30 first downs. But on top of that, they lost quarterback Riley Neal, who tore a meniscus and won't be available this week. Neal actually played through the injury for a little while, but when coach Mike Neu noticed that he wasn't able to move laterally all that well, he took him out of the game and replaced them with Drew Plitt. Neal has thrown for 1917 yards and 11 touchdowns, completing 58%. Plitt has completed 18 of 29 for 235 yards in limited action. He also played some last season, including three starts, and was a 50% passer. Backups got plenty of time last year because Neal missed nine games with a knee injury. Ball State might be missing other personnel as well. Running back James Gilbert (586 yards, 4.4 yards per carry) has a back injury that has caused him to miss practice. He was first-team All-MAC back in 2016 and sat out with a medical redshirt last year. Also, Jacob White, middle linebacker and the team's leading tackler, is hobbled by an ankle injury. Neal's absence also affects the running game, as he has run for 357 yards. And BSU has had a very hard time stopping opponents on the ground, giving up 4.8 yards per rushing attempt. They are fifth in the nation first downs, but are 122nd in the nation when it comes to yards per point. They will have to win each of their remaining games – against Toledo, Western Michigan and Miami of Ohio – to become bowl-eligible.

ABOUT TOLEDO: They were completely flummoxed by Buffalo a couple of games ago, giving up 24 unanswered points in the second half while going limp on offense, but the Rockets (4-4 SU, 3-5 ATS) came through huge against Western Michigan last week. Of course, it didn't hurt them that Jon Wassink, the WMU quarterback, got injured on the opening drive and had to leave the game. But still, they cut through the Broncos' defense like a swath, rolling up 515 yards in a 51-24 romp. Their starting quarterback, Mitch Guadagni, had to leave the game with a shoulder injury, after producing 190 yards of total offense. He's 13th in the nation in Passing Efficiency, so that loss is usually felt. Eli Peters, the Illinois transfer, threw three touchdown passes. But he's only a 47% passer on the season. Cody Thompson had three touchdowns, and he currently ranks in the nation's top 10 with nine receiving TDs. Toledo is 12th the nation in scoring at 40.8 points per game. They have three players who have rushed for more than 400 yards; Guadagni is one of them, but there are two running backs – Brian Koback and Shakif Seymour. They only have two receivers with over 400 yards. But Diontae Johnson is seventh in the nation in kickoff returns. Peters and Guadagni have combined to throw 22 touchdowns with only five interceptions. Toledo's average field position for the offense is the 34-yard line, which is seventh best in the country. And 78.3% of their first downs have been achieved on either a first or second down.

EXTRA POINTS

1. Ball State is 127th in the country in the advanced metric of "IsoPPP," which measures explosiveness, according to the people at analytics site Football Outsiders. Meanwhile, Toledo is a very solid 22nd in that same category.

2. Toledo's backup tight end Reggie Gilliam, a sophomore, currently leads the nation in blocked kicks with four.

3. Toledo has been to four different bowl games the last four seasons - the GoDaddy, Boca Raton, Camellia and Dollar General Bowls. Their stadium was also the site of the Glass Bowl game, a post-season contest from 1946-49 in which the Rockets participated all four years.

PREDICTION: Toledo 43, Ball State 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
08winlink
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com