“This country depends on tourism, immigration and crime are getting out of hand”, this was fragment of the statements given by Carlos Caicedo, father of Carla Stefaniak, the Venezuelan-American tourist that was found dead this past Monday, December 3.
Caicedo complained that it took a long time to get the authorization from the Judiciary Investigative Police (OIJ) to see and identify the body, he was allowed to see the body late on Tuesday evening.
He explained that his daughter was an adventurer that loved to travel and considered Costa Rica a place with a lot of attractions and a certain level of security.
Through a post in social media, the victim’s family stated:
“Words cannot express the devastation within her family and friends. We want the world to know that we will never forget Carla. We will never forget the joy she brought into our lives, how much she made us laugh. We will always be with her and we know she will always be with us. May god bless her soul.
Are we done here? We are not. In the following days, we will release critical digital leads of the investigation, continue asking questions about the involvement of others in Carla’s murder. We will make sure this case is not closed like many others in Costa Rica

Costa Rican authorities sentenced the suspect of Stefaniak’s murder, Bismarck Espinoza Martinez, a Nicaraguan security guard that is illegally in the country, to 3 months of preventive custody.
Carla’s body was found partially buried in the same property where she was staying for one night in the area of San Antonio, Escazú, the body had wounds inflicted with a bladed weapon on arms and neck and a blow to the head likely caused with a blunt force weapon.
Stefaniak arrived to Costa Rica, November 22, apparently in the company of her friend and sister-in-law April Antonieta Burton, they visited Manuel Antonio in Quepos and La Fortuna in San Carlos; Burton took a flight back to Florida on November 27, while Stefaniak stayed the night at Villa Le Mas, she had arranged the lodging through AirBnB. According to Burton, she last heard of Stefaniak at around 8 p.m. on November 27th, when she told her it was raining crazy and the power had gone out.
The Costa Rica Star and its readers send our deepest condolences to the Stefaniak family and friends at this moment of mourning.