Forum: OFFSHORE FORUM - Online Sportsbetting - Mentioned in NY TIMES, WSJ, USA TODAY, & DRF. The place to discuss all kinds of sports and gambling related subjects.

Thread: Report: 2018 Triple Crown winner Justify failed drug test before running in Kentucky Derby

1. #1 Report: 2018 Triple Crown winner Justify failed drug test before running in Kentucky Derby 
    RX Wizard
    Yahoo Sports42 minutes agoIn 2018, Justify became the 13th horse to win thoroughbred racing’s Triple Crown.On Wednesday, the New York Times reported that the colt failed a drug test prior to the Kentucky Derby and shouldn’t have been eligible to race to begin with.
    The Times reports that the horse tested positive for scopolamine, a banned performance-enhancer, after winning the Santa Anita Derby on April 7, 2018.
    According to the report, California regulators waited nearly three weeks to notify Justify’s trainer Bob Baffert of the positive test result, nine days before the May 5 running of the Kentucky Derby.
    The timeline means that Baffert entered his horse knowing about the positive test. Few others at the time were aware, according to the report.
    Instead of immediately disqualifying the Kentucky Derby favorite, the California Horse Racing Board took more than a month to confirm the results and withheld from publicly disclosing the results when it did, according to the report.
    The board eventually decided to drop the case and moved to lessen the penalty for testing positive for scopolamine by the time Justify had won the Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes to complete the Triple Crown, according to the report.
    The Times reports that two months after Justify completed the Triple Crown, the board concluded that the positive test could have resulted from Justify eating contaminated food and dropped the inquiry before changing the penalty of a positive scopolamine test to a fine and possible suspension in October.
    California Horse Racing Board director Rick Baedeker told the Times that it moved slowly on the case due to the nature of the positive test.
    “There was no way that we could have come up with an investigative report prior to the Kentucky Derby,” Baedeker said. “That’s impossible. Well, that’s not impossible, that would have been careless and reckless for us to tell an investigator what usually takes you two months, you have to get done in five days, eight days. We weren’t going to do that.”
    Baffert did not respond to the Times’ request for comment.

Wow. I know the sport is crooked but come on
    GET THAT $$$

Texted this to a friend who is a large animal vet and used to jump competitively.

The drug he tested positive for is usually used to treat colicing in horses and likely not for performance. it is very short acting. I'd hazard a guess he maybe was slightly colicy rather than them giving it for a performance reason. It makes their heart rate sky rocket. I guess it can cause some bronchodilation so could help him breath better but I seriously doubt it has much effect. It is only effective for 20 minutes max so by the time they lead them out, tack them, and actually run it's probably not even working so would surprise me if it was used to help his performance.

RX Senior
    good info

Certainly not a performance enhancer. Who cares?

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory Willie99's Avatar
    Home of Foxwoods, Mohegan Sun & Looney Libs
    Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
    Texted this to a friend who is a large animal vet and used to jump competitively.

The drug he tested positive for is usually used to treat colicing in horses and likely not for performance. it is very short acting. I'd hazard a guess he maybe was slightly colicy rather than them giving it for a performance reason. It makes their heart rate sky rocket. I guess it can cause some bronchodilation so could help him breath better but I seriously doubt it has much effect. It is only effective for 20 minutes max so by the time they lead them out, tack them, and actually run it's probably not even working so would surprise me if it was used to help his performance.

Why doesn't the NYT report this? Are they to lazy to do a little homework? No, my guess is they probably learned this too, but this info simple doesn't fit the narrative they're trying to sell

There's a reason why the media is one of the least trusted professions, right up their with politicians
    "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter". "A rising tide raises all boats". "MAGA"

Quote Originally Posted by Willie99 View Post
    Why doesn't the NYT report this? Are they to lazy to do a little homework? No, my guess is they probably learned this too, but this info simple doesn't fit the narrative they're trying to sell

There's a reason why the media is one of the least trusted professions, right up their with politicians
    Bingo.

Report that he was popped for Equipose or something, then we'll hear a full story on it, and it would actually mean something...

Wasn't this a failed drug test from a month BEFORE the Derby? I don't believe it was given to the horse right before the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilbet View Post
    Wow. I know the sport is crooked but come on
    agree..bettors of course fleeced again with total disregard