Forum: NFL Football Forum - Sponsored by: WagerWeb - get your 100% bonus here!
Post your picks or discuss anything related to betting NFL football here.

Thread: Halfway home NFL. Whose thinking what?

1. #1 Halfway home NFL. Whose thinking what? 
    RX Local
    Put this in the Offshore Forum to get some thoughts going to help us all with handicapping the second half.

My thoughts:

The Pats had a great defense until they got exposed by a great running team. The Pats were built to stop the pass (Kansas City). But it appears that the two teams who could stand in their Championship way are running teams - Balty, and San Fran. Having said that the Pats have relied on their Defense very heavily over the first half. But the Offense should be better able to carry their weight now that they have a decent TE in Watson, and will be getting much needed help at Left Tackle when Isaiah Wynn returns soon from IR and help at WR when first round draft pick, Kneal Harry, also soon returns from IR.

Cleveland, who I expected to step up to the next level, is a clusterfk. Their QB and two wide receivers are divas who care more about their individual shows than about team winning. And their head coach is incompetent. That is the coach who was brought in to replace a coach, Greg Williams, who actually had these bums performing as a football team. That's on the organization. So at all levels they are idiots.

The Rams are performing worse than most SB losers who generally regress. This regression is bad. They aren't very good. And are unlikely to even make the Playoffs.

San Francisco has gone from a four win team to the SB favorite. That's spectacular. And they are not a flash. THey are tough and solid on both sides of the ball. Their weakness was at WR. They went and got Emmanuel Sanders from Denver. Now looking very complete. A plusses to the management, the coach, and the players.

Lamar Jackson is proving the naysayers wrong. He is a legitimate freak athlete and unique QB who could carry Baltimore a looooong way. The rest of the team is unspectacular. But not their QB.

Some were questioning the Miami strategy of dumping pretty good players for draft choices. If Miami makes the right choices over the next couple of years the Fins just might be positioned for a Tom Brady retirement and AFC East challenge. Tom Flores is actually making this team respectable as the year goes along.

Arizona is moving forward. That Offensive line was pathetic the past few years. It is pretty good right now and Murray looks like he may have a shot at earning the accolades and expectations that come with being the number one pick in the draft. They are another team that can suddenly run the ball.

Special kudos to fill in QBs, Brissett, Bridgewater, Fitzpatrick, Mineshew, Matt Moore, and Kyle Allen. These guys have stepped in and helped their teams forward.

And another special Kudos to DeSean Watson. Despite a crap O line he is excelling.

Whose the worst team in the NFL? Looks like the Jets, Cincy, and Atlanta will fight that out 'till the finish. I'm taking Miami off the list. I actually think they are improving and may surprise a team or two before the season concludes.

What thoughts do you guys have?

RX Junior
    Good info, much appreciated.
    Well RX posters mostly just post games and then keep tabs on their W-L record if it is +, and disappear for awhile when they lose.
    I might add later but IMO one of the most important considerations is the massive injuries, QBs are the most discussed but there are teams that lose 3 of their starting DBs, 2 OL, 2-3 of their top 5 WRs, they matter a lot, too, in handicapping. This time of the year it is critical. Sure, losing some of the deadweight QBs like Cam Newton actually makes the team BETTER!
    But overall you have to be on top of the injuries, more than ever...

RX Local
    Quote Originally Posted by Serbone View Post
    Good info, much appreciated.
    Well RX posters mostly just post games and then keep tabs on their W-L record if it is +, and disappear for awhile when they lose.
    I might add later but IMO one of the most important considerations is the massive injuries, QBs are the most discussed but there are teams that lose 3 of their starting DBs, 2 OL, 2-3 of their top 5 WRs, they matter a lot, too, in handicapping. This time of the year it is critical. Sure, losing some of the deadweight QBs like Cam Newton actually makes the team BETTER!
    But overall you have to be on top of the injuries, more than ever...
    Agree completely, Serbone.

But I find it really hard to distinguish the impact players from the also rans when it comes to the non scoring offensive positions. The line play is essential to impactful offenses and defenses. But it's really hard for me to know what linemen on each team are really vital cogs. So many times linemen are defined by their draft position (in the case of young guys) and the number of Pro Bowls (in the case of older guys), but I find such guidance pretty misleading. Draft choice number and past performance are not necessarily good indicators of present performance. We need better injury info. When I see a list of inactives, for instance, I often don't know how important some of those players listed are.

I find that it really helps if fans of the individual teams track and rate their own linemen. If they are objective that can be the best source of knowledge for us, the bettor. Unfortunately I don't see enough of this type of assessment on this or any other board.

Any help solving the problem you brought up, Serbone, would be really helpful to us all.

RX Local
    Nothing to add? We need some different perspectives.

Anybody with local insight would certainly be welcome.

RX Junior
    my eyes are on pittsburgh with a nice stretch coming up of winnable games.
    after the rams they go browns, bengals, browns, cardinals, bills and jets before finishing up with the ravens.
    this team could backdoor it into the playoffs with a schedule like that.

lions are a head scratcher. i want to back them against bad qbs. they have faced mahomes, rogers, rivers, wents and carr this year and given up a lot of points. they get a look at trubisky twice, haskins, and whoever denver has over the next few weeks. i think the defense could look a lot better especially since patricia is a defensive coach i think his team could look a lot better against a lower level of qb talent.

I see the Steelers getting into the playoffs. It will come down to that Ravens game but I think they'll find a way to win and get in. Buffalo will go through a 4 game losing streak in the second half and will not control their destiny in week 17.