Forum: College Football Forum - Post your picks or discuss anything related to betting NCAA football here. Sponsored by:

Thread: CFB Off-Season News

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RX Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by No Coke View Post
    2004 LSU they were together.. along with Jimbo and Derek Dooley.
    Will and Kirby played safety at Georgia (Will a senior, Kirby a freshman) and became good friends. Both
    coached together at Valdosta State (Will DC recommended Kirby) and later at LSU where Will was the DC
    and recommended Kirby to Saban. Both share (co-own) a beach house in Florida. They have been close
    friends for many years and continue to be so...………………...
    I'd move heaven and earth to break 100 on this course. Caddie, try heaven; you've
    already moved most of the earth.

RX Senior

RX Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    Michigan State - The coaching search seems to be on stall right now. With Luke
    Fickell, Pat Narduzzi, Matt Cambell, Mel Tucker and Robert Saleh now out of the
    picture...some new names are being thrown around like Cal's Justin Wilcox, Ky's
    Mark Stoops, C. Michigan's Jim McElwain and former Arkansas and Wisconsin
    coach Bret Bielema who is actively seeking the job. Blowing off Luke Finkell was
    not a good move in my opinion. Could be a Chinese fire drill before this search
    is over.
    They didn't blow off Fickell. Flew their private jet to Cinci, met with Luke and wife, Fickell's said "Not Interested" before any talks of $$$. Fickell blew them off as has the others. Already looking like the fire drill. MSU in a very bad light right now. If I was in charge would be waiting and going with interim coach. Very bad time to assemble a new staff.
    They were trying like hell to get a coach before the board of trustee's meet end of this week. Now that it isn't going to happen maybe they will slow down. The trustee's must approve the coaching hire so now looks like an "emergency" trustee meeting when a coach is found.
    MSU really hitting bottom, not many good recruits or players at this time. It will take awhile for Sparty to be relevant again.

RX Wizard
    Early September Games of Interest (at least to me)

Oklahoma @ Army, Sept. 26
    How often do you see a top FBS team like the Sooners go on the road to play a
    service academy? Most schools avoid Army and its triple-option offense at all costs.
    But Oklahoma is making the risky trip to West Point early in the season with a young,
    inexperienced quarterback.

Florida State @ Boise State, Sept. 19
    Going on the road to the blue turf of Boise State, where the Broncos are primed for a
    big season, will be a tough task for a team looking to regain respectability under a
    new coaching staff. The Noles have their hands full!

North Dakota State @ Oregon, Sept. 5
    With stud quarterback Justin Herbert off to the NFL, who will the Ducks turn to under
    center? Coach Mario Cristobal has a lot of questions to answer, and not much time to
    do it. North Dakota State is no ordinary cupcake FCS season-opening opponent. The
    Bison are a powerhouse, having won three consecutive FCS national championships and
    riding a 37 game winning streak.
    I'd move heaven and earth to break 100 on this course. Caddie, try heaven; you've

RX Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    Early September Games of Interest (at least to me)

Oklahoma @ Army, Sept. 26
    How often do you see a top FBS team like the Sooners go on the road to play a
    service academy? Most schools avoid Army and its triple-option offense at all costs.
    But Oklahoma is making the risky trip to West Point early in the season with a young,
    inexperienced quarterback.

Florida State @ Boise State, Sept. 19
    Going on the road to the blue turf of Boise State, where the Broncos are primed for a
    big season, will be a tough task for a team looking to regain respectability under a
    new coaching staff. The Noles have their hands full!

North Dakota State @ Oregon, Sept. 5
    With stud quarterback Justin Herbert off to the NFL, who will the Ducks turn to under
    center? Coach Mario Cristobal has a lot of questions to answer, and not much time to
    do it. North Dakota State is no ordinary cupcake FCS season-opening opponent. The
    Bison are a powerhouse, having won three consecutive FCS national championships and
    riding a 37 game winning streak.

Do you know of any sites that have these lines yet for these games?

Am i crazy thinking for that Boise should be a 7-10 pt favorite over Florida State?

RX Member
    Mel Tucker changes his mind and is headed to East Lansing. Seems MSU has doubled his salary.

RX Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasKnows View Post
    Mel Tucker changes his mind and is headed to East Lansing. Seems MSU has doubled his salary.
    Terrible hire - this has 2-10 all over it for years to some

RX Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by pathologist View Post
    Terrible hire - this has 2-10 all over it for years to some
    Maybe and then maybe not. Tucker is a really good defensive coach, he's proven himself as an elite
    recruiter and he has significant NFL and college level championship experience (GA, AL). I can't blame
    him for taking the job when his salary will jump from $2.4 million to $5.2 million and a doubling of
    his assistant coaches salary pool and substantial increases to the strength/conditioning program. He's
    walking into a lot of problems at Michigan State and how he handles those issues will go a long way
    toward any success he might have.

In six years, Tucker's salary has risen 940 percent.

2015 $500,000
    2016 $850,000
    2017 $900,000
    2018 $1,500,000
    2019 $2,400,000
    2020 $5,200,000

RX Member
    I wouldn't call it terrible, average maybe. If Tucker gets the right assistants and recruits well he should be ok. Good pedigree, lacks HC experience.

On another note there is a lot of grumbling on how MSU backed up the Brinks Truck and poached Tucker. PAC-12 doesn't have the funds to retain top coaches it seems and some are wondering if they should be included in the Power 5 anymore. Ouch!

RX Wizard
    Colorado - The school has contacted Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator and former
    Buffs star running back Eric Bienemy about their head coaching job. Bienemy is reported
    to be very interested in the Colorado opportunity. In the mean time, Darrin Chiaverini has
    been named interim head coach.

Michigan State - Nick Saban worked as an outside advisor on Michigan State's hunt for Mel
    Tucker, according to the Detroit News. Saban had two stints with the Spartans, from 1983-87
    as defensive coordinator and 1995-99 as head coach. He was a strong endorser of Tucker who
    worked for him at Michigan State, LSU and Alabama. Good to have an endorsement from Nick!!

*Tucker's salary will be more than one million more than the basketball coach who has been
    with the school 25 years and won 623 games. Ouch!

I wouldn't call it terrible, average maybe. If Tucker gets the right assistants and recruits well he should be ok. Good pedigree, lacks HC experience.

On another note there is a lot of grumbling on how MSU backed up the Brinks Truck and poached Tucker. PAC-12 doesn't have the funds to retain top coaches it seems and some are wondering if they should be included in the Power 5 anymore. Ouch!
    The other side of this , you think that MSU way overpaid for this guy ?

Whose grumbling ? Talk show hosts ?

RX Senior
    Tucker was 5-7 last year in his only season as a CFB head coach and they give him a reported $6 million contract, making him the 11th highest paid coach. Unbelievable. MSU was put in a tough position, and you can't blame Tucker for taking the job w/ that salary bump - plus he's a B10 guy. He's coached under some great head coaches, so he has the blueprint to succeed. He can recruit, so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out. If he can win 6+ annually and beat Michigan 40-50% of the time he'll be able to stay there for years.

RX Junior
    Crazy that he makes more than Izzo but none of are surprised as football is KING.

I'm sure he's on a long leash since he wont even have his recruiting class this year so 2020 will be "Year 0" for him. (Mich State may be 1 of those teams to bet against this season as NONE of these players fit his system. Just looked at sparty's schedule and i see a home game vs Toledo week 3. Kinda wish it was week 1 as that line would be a little inflated. By week 3, that line should be adjusted.

I wonder how many Colorado players or other players that he coached/recruited in the past use the transfer portal to go to East Lansing?

RX Wizard
    ACC Recruiting - Dabo has a hold on the Atlantic Coast Conference that doesn't seem to
    be loosening. Clemson is the only ACC team to sign a five-star recruit and they picked
    up five of them. Each is ranked in the top-30 nationally and is top-3 at their positions.
    The group is led by the No. 1 player in the country, defensive tackle Bryan Bresee. On
    the flipside in the ACC, Virginia Tech pulled in just one in-state player, and just one four-
    star recruit. The difference. Clemson was ranked No. 3 nationally, while Virginia Tech's
    class a losing No. 72. Terrible job by the VT staff if they want to be a player in the ACC.
    (Or, if they want to continue coaching at Virginia Tech)

RX Wizard
    LSU/FSU - The two schools announced this week that they will open the 2022 and 2023
    seasons in a pair of neutral-site games. The Seminoles and Tigers will meet first in New
    Orleans on Sunday, Sept. 14, 2022, followed by a game in Orlando on Sunday, Sept. 3,
    2023. With both games scheduled to take place on Sunday, they will serve as standalone,
    primetime matchups. Great opportunity for both schools to showcase their programs in
    prime recruiting states, plus a large nationwide TV audience.

RX Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RED EYE View Post
    The other side of this , you think that MSU way overpaid for this guy ?

Whose grumbling ? Talk show hosts ?
    Oh yeah, they paid through the nose. Like looking for that most sought after Christmas toy on Christmas Eve! You gonna have to pay.

The grumbling? This article made me state that;

https://saturdaytradition.com/michigan-state-football/msu-surprising-poach-mel-tucker-sheds-light-ncaa-dynamics-college-football-2020/

others;

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/2018/11/larry_scott_plays_a_game_of_ch.html
    https://kslsports.com/428473/mel-tucker-leaving-for-michigan-state-is-one-of-many-pac-12-problems/

RX Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrofins View Post
    Crazy that he makes more than Izzo but none of are surprised as football is KING.

I'm sure he's on a long leash since he wont even have his recruiting class this year so 2020 will be "Year 0" for him. (Mich State may be 1 of those teams to bet against this season as NONE of these players fit his system. Just looked at sparty's schedule and i see a home game vs Toledo week 3. Kinda wish it was week 1 as that line would be a little inflated. By week 3, that line should be adjusted.

I wonder how many Colorado players or other players that he coached/recruited in the past use the transfer portal to go to East Lansing?
    Not sure if any will follow Tucker but I do think he needs to tap the Transfer Portal if he wants any kind of competitive team next couple of years.

RX Junior
    Not sure if any will follow Tucker but I do think he needs to tap the Transfer Portal if he wants any kind of competitive team next couple of years.
    curious to see how many kids from either UGA or Colorado follow him next year once they find out that they aren’t starting for their team so the kid wants out.

been happening a lot lately by these entitled babies

RX Member
    Am sure there are plenty of entitled babies out there and also a lot of kids who need to move. Look at Burrows, stuck at Ohio State. Seen him as a freshman in spring game, he was great then! Why wasn't he playing?
    And these kids who bond with a coach, sign up, and the coach bolts for more $$. Can't blame them for moving on.

It SHOULD be like this; you use your football talents to get a college education that would otherwise cost around $100,000. You go to the school that fits your educational needs. Get that degree first and foremost.

Because of NFL $$$ dreams it REALLY is this; I'm going to make it to the NFL, coach told me so if I sign with him. He showed me how many others he has sent to NFL. I want the easiest, worthless classes there are just to stay eligible to play. The school itself is just a burden I have to live with.

RX Wizard
    Michigan State - Mel Tucker's salary will start at $5.5 million and breaks out as follows:
    $3.8 million in salary; $1.2 million in "supplement pay". $100,000 in shoe and apparel
    money and $400,000 annual retention bonus. Tucker's bonuses range from $25,000 for
    winning Big Ten coach of the year to $350,000 for a national championship. Among his
    fringe benefits, Tucker is provided a $2.0 million term life insurance policy and 25 hours
    annually of personal private plane travel.

According to the Detroit Free Press, Tucker will not retain any of the previous assistant
    coaches under Mark Dantanio putting them in a difficult situation for 2020 employment.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oregon - The school is working on a multi-year contract extension for head coach Mario
    Cristobal who is the reigning Pac-12 and Rose Bowl champion. Cristobal is under con-
    tract through 2024. He made $2.9 million during the 2019 season.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Transfer Portal - The TP seems to be developing into the Quarterback Transfer Portal. Top
    quarterbacks are not having any problem finding other teams to play for but hundreds of
    other players find themselves locked out. The Transfer Portal has become a dead end for
    most players who enter it. If a team is signing 23 to 25 high school recruits, there is no
    room to add from the Portal. The bigger schools want only top-tier players who can come
    come in and play immediately leaving behind a ton of players with nowhere to go.

Because of NFL $$$ dreams it REALLY is this; I'm going to make it to the NFL, coach told me so if I sign with him. He showed me how many others he has sent to NFL. I want the easiest, worthless classes there are just to stay eligible to play. The school itself is just a burden I have to live with.
    The first week I was at LSU, the Athletic Academic Counselor made the entire freshman team sit through a presentation from an attorney/agent. One of the things he said was....."how many of you guys are pre-med? Okay, which one of you is going to dedicate yourself to 10 years of school to be heart surgeon? I'm asking you this because you have a greater chance at becoming board certified in thoracic surgery than you do of making an NFL roster".

That speech blew me away.

RX Member
    Sounds like a great speech LSUpete. I understand a lot of kids just do not have the mental capacity for a high end degree and the amount of time needed for football training makes it even harder but get something out of it and when you chose your university make sure the education was part of the choice. Maybe then the transfer portal wouldn't be so crowded. Wishful thinking!

On another note, the Detroit Free Press story that Mel Tucker let all of Dantonio's staff go was premature. Ron Burton, rumored headed to Indiana, and Mike Tressel will be retained from Dantonio's staff.

RX Member
    Forgot to say, Cloverleaf, thanks for all the updated news and keeping the CFB forum active.

Much Appreciated!!

RX Wizard
    Oklahoma State - The Cowboys play one of the easiest nonconference schedules of any
    Power Five team next season. Each of the first three games will be played at home, and
    all three of its opponents had a losing record last year. Oregon State (5-7) is the only
    Power Five matchup, while Tulsa (4-8) and Western Illinois (1-11) shouldn't pose much of
    a challenge. Three of the next four conference games are on the road, including an Oct.
    24 meeting with cross-state rival and Big 12 favorite Oklahoma in Norman, and that could
    be a decisive stretch for the Cowboys. Maybe a good opportunity stretch for a wagering
    man also.

Oregon State.....Tulsa.....Western Illinois.....@TCU.....Iowa State.....@Kansas.....
    @Oklahoma.....Texas Tech.....@Baylor.....West Virginia.....@Kansas State.....Texas

*Running back Chuba Hubbard returns in the backfield after leading the nation with 2,094
    rushing yards and scoring 21 touchdowns last year.

RX Wizard
    ACC Quarterbacks - Everyone knows about Clemson's Trevor Lawrence, a future NFL No. 1
    selection. The offseason headlines have ramped up on Miami transfer D'Erig King and what
    he can bring to the Canes. But don't sleep on North Carolina's Sam Howell, who could put
    up better numbers than any other quarterback in the conference. Last year as a true fresh-
    man, the 6-1, 225 pound Howell threw for 3,641 yards and 38 touchdowns. He also made
    the ACC Academic Team so the kid has some smarts. A four-star recruit out of Monroe, NC,
    Howell had the second most 20-plus yard touchdowns in the country...behind only LSU's Joe
    Burrow. He has a rocket-launcher for an arm and will cause defenses plenty of problems this
    coming season. Better be ready Auburn!