Forum: Baseball Forum - Post your picks or discuss anything related to betting MLB here.

Thread: Will we have Baseball this summer ???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RX Junior
    Imo the prime motivating force with this proposal revolves around many of the owners, who are already filthy rich as well some

players who fit the description and who shudder at the very thought of the season being delayed or worse canceled

because they would not be able to stuff their wallets with even more

money that they have/need now.

Imo many of these folks don't give a rats ass about the Virus,who is infested/dies and/or its overall impact on society so long as it is not they

or their families who contract the disease.

RX Junior
    The players need the money a lot more than the owners. To a certain extent, a season loss would be an economic disaster for the players and, therefore, put them in a vulnerable negotiating position. Also would nullify most performance bonuses (if a shortened season) plus negate a service year if the season doesn't start. If you really think about it, if the NBA Playoffs start from the beginning and transpire over the normal two months, you are backing right up to football season and, I truly believe, a small percent of Americans would really care if MLB started or not.

RX Junior
    I agree that the players would be hurt a lot more economically speaking.

However imo to the use of word "disaster" to describe them is only appropriate as it applies to them in an absolute sense

but not in a relative sense.

Its not like most players are going to have to worry about where their next meal is coming from, being able to take care of their families, etc. such

as is the case with much of the general population which has been affected by their layoffs and who live paycheck to paycheck.

my clock is stuck on 420 time to hit this bong brendanjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
    I agree that the players would be hurt a lot more economically speaking.

However imo to the use of word "disaster" to describe them is only appropriate as it applies to them in an absolute sense

but not in a relative sense.

Its not like most players are going to have to worry about where their next meal is coming from, being able to take care of their families, etc. such

as is the 0case with much of the general population which has been affected by their layoffs and who live paycheck to paycheck.
    I think a lot of these guys throughout all the ranks live paycheck to paycheck besides the elite few which is most likely a small percentage throughout baseball. I’m not saying there poor obviously league minimum is huge however a budget is a budget everyone saves and spends differently.

RX Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanjack View Post
    I think a lot of these guys throughout all the ranks live paycheck to paycheck besides the elite few which is most likely a small percentage throughout baseball. I’m not saying there poor obviously league minimum is huge however a budget is a budget everyone saves and spends differently.
    Imo we have to distinguish between minor league baseball players where the minimum amount is $400 a week

and between minimum for major league players As you can see by the chart, starting a few years ago

the minimum has gone up 535,000 starring over the last few years, which isn't exactly chicken feed.

Assuming that the 2020 season is not a player's first season in the league, unless a player is a spendthrift, he should

have some money in the bank, which along with what I assume some kind if workmen's comp he should be able take care of himself and

family quite well.

If some of players have a lifestyle which might suffer because there is no season yet, tough-that is a far cry from many everyday folks who have been

laid off and who are struggling to feed themselves and family as well as making ends meet.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ague-baseball/

RX Junior
    There are plenty of players who will be underwater without a regular check. Just look back to other sports stars, actors, business pros, etc who all managed to squander a fortune. Throw in the fact that a lot of these guys are in the 20-32 age range with a wife and kids at home and a girlfriend or two on the road, they will be signing up for car commercials and joining Pete Rose in Vegas to grab $20 a signature.