Forum: Baseball Forum - Post your picks or discuss anything related to betting MLB here.

Thread: Will we have Baseball this summer ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Will we have Baseball this summer ??? 
    RX Senior
    It’s really hard to believe no MarchMadNess no NBA no NHL is baseball next I believe so the next sport we might see is the NFL and and CFB who knows gonna be a long summer.

Seems to me that this will last until at least July. Why would people want to rush to sit around 60,000 people?

Quote Originally Posted by MLB View Post
    Seems to me that this will last until at least July. Why would people want to rush to sit around 60,000 people?

For sure MLB,but if any sport does play this year it most likely would be Baseball,but my opinion would be no
    Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.

Over/Under is 7/3/20 at 5Dimes Vig about -125 on the UNDER (before).

RX Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elk102873 View Post
    they must know something

Religion is a crutch for the weak-minded...Jesse Ventura
    I think they will scrub the whole season pretty soon.

attendance will be the worst ever, if they try to play

RX Junior
    Say hello to spring training Feb 2021

Fun Fact...The TB Rays - a club seen as extremely strong playoff contender for 2020- will have ZERO players from current 40man eligible for FA come November....and that is even if players w 1+ yrs of service time are granted a year for 2020 (which I doubt would happen in event of 2020 being fully canceled
    Don Trump is another Nixon.....if Nixon had 4th grade literacy, weighed 381 lbs, snorted amphetamines like Pez, consumed only pureed food & exhibited expanding symptoms of FTD

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I think they will scrub the whole season pretty soon.

attendance will be the worst ever, if they try to play
    I'm leaning that way too....all these talk radio hosts saying May, June....I know they're trying to be optimistic, but it's not realistic IMO. We would need some immediate drastic changes in all these infection numbers and that's just the beginning. This virus is going to make it's way through the population it's inevitable it's happening and it's going to take a really long time. Even when it peaks and starts to drop you can't just open everything back up right away biggest mistake that will happen. This is a slow slow process that needs to take place here. We're just getting it together with the testing part and these vaccines being created will take time to get distributed. I don't feel we'll have any sports the rest of this year at the earliest and if they do it'll be very restricted possibly no attendance things like that. It's gonna come down to either saving this economic crash or limiting the deaths from this disease across the nation....nobody wants no part of making a decision like that

RX Senior
    Really can’t see Baseball this summer already heading into April even if they started attendance will be low whose going to the ball parks sitting next to each other. Just can’t see our way of living is going to change think about it bar seating restaurant seating different venue seating will never be the same it wouldn’t surprise me if college football is cancelled who knows maybe the NFL what a mess.

my clock is stuck on 420 time to hit this bong brendanjack's Avatar
    Talked to my friend who’s son is a player . Target date Memorial weekend as of now

Quote Originally Posted by CATWINS View Post
    Really can’t see Baseball this summer already heading into April even if they started attendance will be low whose going to the ball parks sitting next to each other. Just can’t see our way of living is going to change think about it bar seating restaurant seating different venue seating will never be the same it wouldn’t surprise me if college football is cancelled who knows maybe the NFL what a mess.

Kirk Herbstreit thinks the NCAAF season will be cancelled....said that last week

RX Junior
    I canít see baseball being played this year, I think itís tough to play a season when itís pretty obvious that thereís no way they can play games in New York this season and probably other major markets like LA, Chicago, Boston Etc and if the big markets canít host games then there wonít be a season. The next sport we see imho is a shortened NFL season which will probably start sometime in October.

From what I heard players getting payed through may 24 if there’s no season they don’t have to pay it back if there is a season rest of it will deduct what was given prior to may 24.

RX Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice74 View Post
    I can’t see baseball being played this year, I think it’s tough to play a season when it’s pretty obvious that there’s no way they can play games in New York this season and probably other major markets like LA, Chicago, Boston Etc and if the big markets can’t host games then there won’t be a season. The next sport we see imho is a shortened NFL season which will probably start sometime in October.
    Imo in order to have a baseball season and/or at least to have a respectable number of people attend these games, the cases testing positive and the number

of deaths will have had to fall dramatically for a least of month along with assurances from the CDC, etc that "it is safe to go back into the water."

Even then I am not sure that if this Virus gets even worse than it is now, that people will go flocking to the ballpark for the simple reason that in most

parks the rows and seats are tightly packed together with inches and at most few feet at most separating people-no six feet social distancing here that's for

sure.

That said, I still think all things considered there is roughly a 50/50 chance that there will be some kind of season beginning at the earliest some time in June or

July even if it is obvious that attendance will be poor.

Obviously if some kind of miracle vaccine or more likely some of the medicines such as the anti Malaria types being discussed can bring this thing under

control to minimize the risks involved, the outlook/equation changes dramatically.

Yeah everything I posted has changed again now he is saying June even late July. Talk of 120 game season with doubleheader’s every week possibility of 2 - 7 inning games for double headers. Expanding rosters to 28-30 man for first month another small spring training . These players are frustrated as hell however there getting payed as of now

RX Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanjack View Post
    Yeah everything I posted has changed again now he is saying June even late July. Talk of 120 game season with doubleheaderís every week possibility of 2 - 7 inning games for double headers. Expanding rosters to 28-30 man for first month another small spring training . These players are frustrated as hell however there getting payed as of now

I can't imagine any scenario including the remaining worry/fear of the corona virus, there will be any interest at all in a baseball season which begins in July.

For one thing Preseason NFL would be just around the corner, although there is a good chance depending on circumstances that that wouldn't generate

all that much interest either.

RX Junior
    Baseball...don't really care although disappointed the CWS was canceled. Just want to ensure football starts ontime. College coaches have indicated they have to have availability with the players by July 1 for the season to go off as scheduled. NFL will power through. Passion exists for the NBA Playoffs and CFB and the NFL. Hopefully they can get the hockey playoffs in to...MLB'ers can find something else to do.

RX Member
    Can they get in a half season ?

Quote Originally Posted by elk102873 View Post

Maybe we take a break and this hits.

But.......over.
    I goes hard for the cheddar. Iíve posted more winners than the whole kkk put together.

RX Senior
    No sports until maybe September if we are lucky no beaches no Baseball summer doesn’t look to promising.

RX Junior
    Read the Phoenix plan...start in late May, all games in the Phoenix metro area...no fans, players in stands rather than dugout, no mound visits, etc. Average first 100 degree day in Phx is the first week of May. Good luck on that boys. Sports fans everywhere will have one thing on their mind...please save football season.

RX Member

RX Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by azbob View Post
    Read the Phoenix plan...start in late May, all games in the Phoenix metro area...no fans, players in stands rather than dugout, no mound visits, etc. Average first 100 degree day in Phx is the first week of May. Good luck on that boys. Sports fans everywhere will have one thing on their mind...please save football season.
    Here is one article on that with further explanation and commentary.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...8qt15prmd0l7v7

Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see anything about how the batter and catcher could do-exist in batter's box unless of course they want to move the catcher

back to 66 feet six inches, while letting batter stay in batter's box at the 60 foot six inches.

this would mean that the umpire would have to move back to 12 feet behind where the batter stood.

Even better, would the new arrangement that the umpire would call a ball and a strike from his "vantage point" from the perspective

as to when it crossed the batter's box or when it crossed to where the catcher was situated? lol

In addition what would happen if someone reached first base-should the first baseman be moved back six feet from the runner

and the first base umpire another six feet away?

And what about the poor pitcher who would now be required to throw the vall 66.6 feet rather than just 60 feet-how would that effect

his arm over the season?

Better, when the manager was contemplating making a pitching change, wold he now be forced to decide who to bring is based on

some statistical criterion who is the better 60 foot and six inch pitcher and who is the better 66.6 inch pitcher?

Anyways these are just a FEW of the issue which come to mind.

Here is the article and link once again:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...8qt15prmd0l7v7

RX Junior
    A few more thoughts just came to mind:

Should all of the players and umpires be required to masks at all times including the batter when he is batting?

What if the manager and an umpire have an argument?

Should they have to be at least six feet away from one another when arguing a call to prevent the possibility of the combatants

being infested with the VIRUS by the other by spitting with his words and/or to to prevent breathed or talked upon?

During the game should their be testing of all players at some point in the game/

For example the now nonexistent seventh stretch because of the absence of fans would now be replaced by the 7th inning or some other time during

the game the "virus testing break inning,"

On the other hand, that wouldn't be "exactly" be in line with the ultimate goal of shortening the game. lol

RX Junior
    they will use automated systems for calling balls and strikes...which they should do anyway...HP ump out of the picture pitch-to-pitch. Maybe this is the start of 7-inning games forever. If baseball gets a late start, we could have a weekend in November with the NFL, MLB World Series and the Masters. You can also throw in the NBA and NHL.